1 defender formations... getting ball playing centre backs more involved

Having built up a squad of good passing and dribbling centre backs I got frustrated with them never breaking forward enough to support an attack.

Started playing one centre back (ball playing cover) with my other 2 cbs as DM (ball winner defends) in front of him and it's working a treat so far.

i always play with my two wingers at wing back to get them back to defend. So essentially a 1 - 4 - 3 -2 .

Get some beautiful familiarity lines in all of that too

anyone else gone 1 or even 0 traditional defenders and had success?

23 minutes ago, seagull84 said:

Having built up a squad of good passing and dribbling centre backs I got frustrated with them never breaking forward enough to support an attack.

Started playing one centre back (ball playing cover) with my other 2 cbs as DM (ball winner defends) in front of him and it's working a treat so far.

i always play with my two wingers at wing back to get them back to defend. So essentially a 1 - 4 - 3 -2 .

Get some beautiful familiarity lines in all of that too

anyone else gone 1 or even 0 traditional defenders and had success?

7 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I too would love to make old school  WM formation to work. But it just doesn't work in ME. You going to get ripped apart.

As far as I remember @Cleon made his side capable with a WM formation and that was a very insightful thread. You can take a look at that.

Edited by frukox

22 minutes ago, Cleon said:

The W-M is only 1 centreback. Anything else and it's not a w-m. 

True i just figured that any wm tactic with football manager would not use one cd only. Just because of gamey FM me reasons. I remember looking for some years ago and everyone was saying how it was impossible. I'll look into your thread now. Two half backs and cd is exactly what I was thinking of. Excited to try something similar in fm20. Welcome back btw! I thought you were gone 

Edited by crusadertsar

20 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

True i just figured that any wm tactic with football manager would not use one cd only. Just because of gamey FM me reasons. I remember looking for some years ago and everyone was saying how it was impossible. I'll look into your thread now. Two half backs and cd is exactly what I was thinking of. Excited to try something similar in fm20. Welcome back btw! I thought you were gone 

Really? I think myself and many others have posted about it every single year since about FM05. There's always a discussion on it every year. 

10 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Really? I think myself and many others have posted about it every single year since about FM05. There's always a discussion on it every year. 

Now that I'm looking through the threads I can see that you are right. I haven't been around here for a long time I guess. But anyway thanks for the inspiration. Just started a save with Benfica testing my own WM. Will be reporting on it in the future 😃

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why you want your DC to attack, but the Libero (A) does exactly that. I also have seen that DLP sometimes go ahead. I would not risk my defence for a DC sortie, anyway, it's the easiest way to be countered with a long pass.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

Hi Cleon

I justed wanted to take the time to thank you for all your posts and answers to questions I have had over the years. Your approach to get us to think about what we are doing is like teaching someone how to fish rather than than just giving away a fish (tactic in this case).  I constantly reread your stuff and I never fail to find something new that I missed.  This is my 3rd year of playing FM and I can now adjust to the teams and players I am managing. 

I know you have recently cut back on your posting but it is good to see you are not "gone for good" as that would be a BIG loss for all of the FM world.

Jeff