Frustrated by the feedback

I'm absolutely baffled by this reaction from my players during a game.

I 'encourage' them at 1-0 with a shout. Frustrated reaction. I tell them to 'push up' after an opposition player gets sent off. Frustrated reaction. 

It's an absolute joke the shouts needs some work. Since when has a team become 'frustrated' when you shout 'encourage' as a manager from the touchline?? Daft.

In my experience, only "show some passion" and "demand more" tend to yield positive (green) morale results. The rest is pretty much "frustrated" or "pressured". I agree this needs some improvement.

I think the regularity of the shouting can have an effect as well.

I usually 'Praise' after a goal. Show Passion or Demand More when they need a boost. Push Forward in the last 20 or so when a goal behind but rarely much else.

8 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

I 'encourage' them at 1-0 with a shout.

Why encourage them? They're ahead. Are they that low on confidence?

8 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

I tell them to 'push up' after an opposition player gets sent off.

Why push up? What was the context of the match? What was the score etc?

If you get the context wrong, then you'll get a negative reaction. With something like this (shouts) there has to be positive and negative consequences of using it, otherwise it's a pointless addition in terms of gameplay.

They don't need encouraging when there in front especially if the team contains older more seasoned pros and moral is high nothing needs to be said, i only use the encourage shout if i go behind to a strong team or a team that is  equal to my teams ability in high profile matches when the outcome of the fixture is predicted to be close or we are the underdogs,this usually gets a slight reaction in moral from going behind, your team/players individual mentality will also play a part in their reactions to different scenario's unfolding within games.

Touchline Team Talks don't affect tactical settings.  They are for player morale and body language.

"Encourage", to follow up your example, is designed to help boost player morale if they seem to be lacking it.  So having just scored a goal they're unlikely to be lacking morale, hence their reaction.  "Really boss?  We've just scored, give us some credit ffs".

Here's a guide which explains things more.

Archived