[FM19] Operation: Topple Juventus - A Torino Career

craigcwwe

image.thumb.png.197d424e316600cc4d8edb0a6cbe7ca0.png

Season 2018/19

Torino Football Club, sometimes referred to as 'Toro' is an Italian professional football club based in Turin, Italy. It currently plays in the top flight, Serie A. 

Founded way back in 1906, Torino are among the most successful clubs in  Italy with seven league titles including a remarkable five straight run during the 1940s, when the side known affectionately as 'The Grande Torino' went on a tear throughout Italy, of which was hard to believe until tragedy struck in 1949 when the whole team sadly lost their lives in a air disaster, their legacy lives on til this day as one of the most legendary sides, not just in Italy but in world football with the stadium since named after this great side of years gone by. 

The Coppa Italia has also been snared five times by this club, the last of which came in the 1991-92 season with international success coming via the now defunct and little known Mitropa Cup back in 1991 and the more recognised and previously named UEFA Cup also in the 1991-92 season. 

The bull in the clubs badge is the traditional symbol of the city of Turin and also the source of the club's nickname, 'Il Toro' which translates to 'The Bull'

Pre Season:

First pre season in the books and I can't complain with 6 wins from 6 matches. I prefer to use pre season to get confidence and morale up and to bed in any potential new signings rather than test my team against equal or better sides, those games come during a season. Some nice wins in there, notably the first game and defensively good as well but that should be the case anyway from these group of games. 

Going into the season I've made one signing and promoted a couple of youth defenders to my senior team. There wasn't much to play with in the transfer kitty and I wanted to see how this squad of players do in my first season before making any drastic squad changes. 

So my first signing as Torino manager was a 24 year old Portuguese LB from Real Sociedad in Spain for a £2.8m. He comes in as the first choice LB. This was a move that I wasn't planning on making this summer as we already had an experienced LB in Christian Ansaldi but when he got ruled out for the first three months of the season our only other option was an untested 17 year old I had moved up into the first team squad so I was forced into the market but I'm pleased to have secured this guy's signature and believe he can be a solid asset for us over the coming seasons. 

KR.jpg

And the second signing:

For 150k from Palermo, this guy is on loan with Juventus for this season, one for the future with him being just 16 years old, he will join up with the squad next summer. 

7DD01DBB2C6B58B5C5A3A291733EFEFC38051090

August 2018:

1755284279_AugustFM.thumb.PNG.4c1a3bb0a89db05978bb05fe7cb402f6.PNG

To kick start my reign as manager in a competitive setting we hosted Serie B side Cremonese in the Coppa Italia 3rd Qualifying Round and as you can see we got off to the worst possible start going down 1 nil and our tournament was over as far as this competition was concerned. Not the start I would have wanted and despite naming a strong side we couldn't make our quality count.

Not the best of starts that but the great Sir Alex Ferguson kick started his Manchester United career with a loss too and he didn't do too badly. 

A trip to Chievo was to be my debut in the Serie A dugout wearing the Torini colours. Chievo are a team tipped to battle relegation this season whilst the media have us pegged for 8th position. Neither team managed a shot on target all game. Belotti nearly won the game for us on the counter attack in the 89th minute after some good play from Falque out of the right but his shot fizzed over the bar from 20 yards. A poor game but a point in my first match away from home is not the end of the world. 

Looking to get our first win and first goal we hosted Sassuolo at the Grande Torino, looking to make a statement in my first game in the league at home and to make amends for the cup defeat here 15 days ago I told the boys we had to start quickly and get on the front foot. 

Ultimately we played out a 1-1 draw after going behind after just 5 minutes with their first attack of the game, a header from a fantastic corner, 5 minutes later we scored to level it, excellent work from Sasa Lukic in the middle, fizzing a diagonal ball out wide, cross came in, Belotti fighting with the defenders lays it back to Lukic who is there to fire home from 15 yards.

We were the better team throughout the game as evidenced by our 58% possession and 13 shots to their 3 but we couldn't make those numbers count before the ref blew his whistle to call time on this one. 

The final game before the international break saw us take an injury ravaged squad to Parma, after going behind we equalised just 60s or so later and won the game via a world class header from Belotti midway through the second half. Both assists came via by RB, De Silvestri, making his first start of the campaign after picking up an injury early in pre season. A first win in charge of 'Il Toro'! 

September 2018:

1821503094_September2018.thumb.PNG.ca0b8c22a75edd9d87ba6bb7d41d3a8c.PNG

Just the three games in September for us. 

Starting the month off was an home game and an early test for my Torino side as Italian giants AC Milan came to town. 

We were much the better team but couldn't find a way past Donnarumma in goal for Milan. 0-0 the final score. 14 shots to their 5, 8 on target to their 2, showed our superiority in attack, at least in creating the chances. Defensively we were once again fantastic, restricting them to just a single shot after the interval. 

A very good away win at Sampdoria followed that up. They had started the season strong but my boys came out on top with all three goals coming in the second half. Meite and Belotti on the scoresheet for us.

The last game of the month was a disappointing result at newly promoted Spal as we drew 0-0. Spal should have won the game really, they had the best chances and if not for an offside in the 89th minute they'd have won it.

I let the players no in no uncertain terms that the performance was unacceptable post match

October 2018:

.2095307983_Oct2018.thumb.PNG.054e6581bd70317e3fc1ce5bd2f768a6.PNG

Bottom of the table Empoli were the visitors to Turin for a Monday night fixture. Two goals in the opening 14 minutes saw us comfortable 2 nil winners. Meite and then Falque getting the goals. 

Our second home game inside a week brings the visit of Roma who are flying high in second place after 7 games.

Baselli gave us the lead in the first half after some fantastic play from my RB De Silvestri who beat two players out wide and whipped the ball in and Baselli was there meet it with a pinpoint header at the back post. A set piece goal right on HT from Roma saw the first half end 1-1 before they scored what would turn out to be the winner early in the second half. First loss in the league going down 2-1 but a bright performance from my team.

Another international break out of the way now and we travel to Udine but with Belotti and Zaza out injured we have no recognised senior striker to lead the line so loanee striker Brijan Ibrahimi is tasked with being the focal point, it's a debut for the 17 year old forward. 

And what a debut it was for the young striker as he gets a debut goal to earn us a point at Udinese. 1-1 FT. 

And inbox message post match informs me that at the tender age of 17yo and 30 days, Ibrahimi becomes the youngest goalscorer in Torino history. Not a bad way for the young man to introduce himself!

The final game in the month of October sees us face a poor Bologna side who sit second bottom after 7 defeats in their opening 9 games. At home this is a game we really should be winning though they did win their first game last time out against Atalanta so their confidence will be buoyed.

Despite them playing with 10 men for most of the second half we couldn't find a way through their low block and it ended in a disappointing 0-0. A poor result and I told the players just that. 

November 2018:

577753897_Nov18.thumb.PNG.6609f8a0d8818b5daeee2b854f960d8f.PNG

For our next game we faced Lazio away and when the opposition scout report came in it informed me that they like to play 4231 with two defensive midfielders, 2 inside forwards, an attacking midfielder and a pressing forward on attack. Now seeing as I like to play out from the back this was obviously a risky strategy in this game against a team with 4 players positioned so high up the pitch I was asking for trouble to try and play out of that press so I opted for something a little different. 

My plan was to bypass the high press from Lazio and instruct my goalkeeper to knock the ball to the wings so that I couldn't lose the ball in my defensive third and two we could essentially take out 4 opposition players with one move and straight away get on the attack therefore lessening the chance of us getting caught in the build up phase and attack them with greater numbers early in our attacking build up. 

Now coming into this game Lazio were on a tear in Serie A, compiling a 7-2-1 record and scoring 23 goals in that time. Their system was obviously working a treat for them and I didn't want to put any extra pressure on my defence with Lazio's four attackers breathing down their necks almost instantly, it would be 50/50 as to whether we can get past them or whether they can successfully employ their pressing game and I don't like those odds against a better team away from home. 

So onto the game. To cut a long story short, my plan worked as we played out a 0-0 draw at the Olimpico in front of a little over 33,000 supporters. Lazio mustered just 8 efforts all game and 6 of those were from long range, at the other end of the pitch we tested their goalkeeper three times.  

It's always a satisfying feeling when you come up with a gameplan to nullify a particular threat in the game and this one worked to a tee. 

Matchday 12 and Genoa the visitors who are sitting one place above the relegation zone. Two first half goals from my captain Belotti and a then a first goal for the club for Parigini from the LW in the second half was enough to seal a 3-1 win. 

Next up was a trip to Bergamo as we faced 17th place Atalanta and Iago Falque secured all three points for us with the only goal of the game late in the second half. Atalanta were a tough nut to crack with their 3 CBs and 2 DMs right in front of them, they really weren't giving up an inch in the defensive third backed up with two wing backs also but we found a way through with goal from just outside the box.

In the final game of the month ourselves and Fiorentina played out a bore draw. 

Ahead of a 9 day break til out next league game this was a chance to give a couple of players a few days rest before we get back out onto the training pitch and work on some attacking plays in preparation for the trip to face midtable Frosinone. 

December 2018:

1781846700_December2018.thumb.PNG.413827f908dd3d2d3f88f594562ce800.PNG

A 1 nil win away at Frosinone courtesy of a wonder strike from Iago Falque in a game we totally dominated so much so my GK didn't have anything to do all game. These packed defenses we come up against almost every game are tough to break down. Frosinone are hard to beat though in fairness despite coming up from Serie B last season that was their first home loss of the campaign. 

Next up was a routine 2-0 win at home to Cagliari. A goal in each half, Belotti and then my RB, De Silvestri with a scorcher from 20 yards out on the angle. 

Next three games sees us face Napoli (A) Juventus at home in the Turin derby and then a trip to Milan to face Inter. This run of fixtures will be very interesting for me to see how my team stacks up against some of the best teams in this division in back to back games. 

An early answer from my team as we race into a 2 goal lead after just 11 minutes in Naples. Napoli fought valiantly and pulled one back three minutes from the end but we held on amid an onslaught after the break to take all three points. Without doubt my biggest win yet with Torino. Meite and then Parigini with the goals. 

898873231_TurinDerby.PNG.bc4460ccf29f22af915fe3864a678e98.PNG

The Turin derby on boxing day next. Juventus are sitting second, a point off the top with this being their game in hand. My first taste of this particular derby and the Olimpico Grande Torino is sure to be buzzing. 
Ronaldo was not 100% match fit for the visitors but he started the game nonetheless and after just 5 minutes narrowly headed over after cutting in from the left wing, this was ultimately as close as the Old Lady came to scoring and the game ended in a very fair 0-0. 

My players were a little disappointing with the result post match which shows how much belief and confidence they are playing with but I was pleased with the result and performance against the best team in the league. 

The final game before the winter break is an away game at Inter Milan who are having a fantastic season in Serie A thus far, sitting level on points with Juventus and second in the table. This is another huge test for my players but so far they've proved themselves capable. A result here would very nice and cap off a very good opening half of the campaign in my debut season at Torino. 

Just two minutes in and Baselli nearly sent the away fans into a frenzy but his long rang shot cannoned back off the post and cleared before Belotti could convert the rebound. Not to worry though as Falque whipped in a lovely free kick and Parigini was there to meet it with a near post flick on after just 15 minutes and 4 minutes later Belotti was put clean through but couldn't find a way past the Inter GK. My boys are well on top in the early goings of this one. 

Sadly at the break we're somehow 3-1 down after two world class headers, the first by Icardi off the near post and the second from Perisic. Then right at the end of the half we have a corner that is cleared, it comes to my CB outside the box and he's quickly closed down by no less than 3 men in blue and black and they counter and score. Really tough scoreline to take into the interval as we really should be at least drawing this game. 

Well whatever I said at HT didn't have the desired effect as within 5 minutes of the restart Inter had plundered another two goals and then added a third midway through the second half. 

6-1 FT. 

Stunned at this result. We should have scored 4 ourselves, the difference in this match was literally they took their chances and we didn't take ours. This was one of those games that happens from time to time where the opposition take every chance they get. Absolutely gutting way to end the first half of the season, especially when you consider how strong we've been defensively, prior to this game conceding just 8 league goals to shipping 6 in one game. 

This Inter side are tearing teams apart left, right and centre tbf, 49 goals at the halfway stage of the season. They've scored 6 goals twice, 5 twice, 4 twice and three twice. Just devastating going forward. 

We dust ourselves down and go again after the break I guess. 

Mid season review:

Well I can't argue with how the first half of the season has gone really. The two obvious disappointments are the cup exit in my first game in charge and then the last game against Inter. A freak result. 

1294012975_Halfwaytable.thumb.PNG.4a2b09c2a4d32793b75fbf48186a3e85.PNG

• craigcwwe changed the title to [FM19] Operation: Topple Juventus - A Torino Career

Capture.thumb.PNG.4604804b803b4694fcb378fd707a967f.PNG

Season 2018/19

A little bit of transfer business done in the winter window as we welcome young Portuguese winger Francisco Trincao from Braga for a tidy fee of £1.3m. My scouts found this gem in the weeks before the January transfer window opened and with some big European clubs circling I decided to swoop in early rather than wait til the summer to snare one of the best young players in the Portuguese league and for a position I was looking to improve upon.

1C68F9BD46C94525E6A7CE2513F5A3BB1D88D9E9

Our second signing, and another highly rated youngster is none other, Denis Man. I see this guy as my long term IF cutting in off the right wing. We quickly concluded a deal that sees his club receive £4.6m. Another player that was being watched by half of Europe's elite meant I didn't want to wait til the summer transfer window to try and sign this guy as we'd most likely miss out to the bigger clubs. He joins up with my Torino side in the summer. 

?imw=1024&imh=542&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

And lastly, another player that joins in the summer for a fee of £2.6m is Nahitan Nandez from Boca Juniors. This is my long term replacement for my current anchorman, Tomas Rincon who is now 31. A very similar sort of player to the aforementioned Rincon, he will retain that fierce Argentina battle and bite at the base of my midfield. 

D423D6E5656DBE58C350763FA20DD3ABD8EE6C52

Really pleased with all three of those signings that will be joining us ahead of next season, I feel we've done some excellent business there in obtaining some real bright talent for low fees and I hope these three players will be part of my side for years to come. 

In other news, the Torino board come to me with the offer of a new contract which I of course agree to. A new 2.5 year deal is agreed. 

January 2019:

1802664240_Jan2018.thumb.PNG.c7e355ddcb6e8f20ccac0cc9332feda2.PNG

Two winter friendlies before the season restarts to get some match fitness back into my players' legs and two routine wins. 

Chievo at home to get the second half of the season underway and an hard fought 1 nil victory. Andrea Belotti getting the only goal after 13 minutes. 

A 1 nil defeat at Sassuolo followed, not sure how we lost this game tbh as we were the better side throughout but sometimes you don't get what you deserve in football.

February 2019:

234222993_Feb19.thumb.PNG.30f55c18e18c4ce24c9358395146e025.PNG

Back to winning ways albeit by a single goal against a resilient Parma side. Falque and Belotti getting the goals after Juraj Kucka gave the hosts the lead. 

Despite taking the lead with a goal from Belotti, Milan came back strong in the second half and two quickfire goals gave them the win. 

Looking to get three points on the board against midtable Sampdoria we came flying out of the gates with Belotti bagging a first half brace after seeing a spot kick saved earlier in the half. Sampdoria pulled one back midway through the second half but we held firm and saw the game out, a big three points here in our battle with Roma and Napoli for EL football next season. 

In the final game of the month we entertained Spal. Two unlikely goalscorers for us in Berenguer and LB Ansaldi was enough to take the spoils. 

All in all a very good month with three wins from four league matches. 

March 2019:

1483461221_March2019.thumb.PNG.44eb6e9c932a4619f3149da21f326501.PNG

Zaza and a late Falque goal was enough to defeat bottom of the table Empoli. Hopefully this will be the start of Zaza's season now he has his first goal of the campaign for us. 

A trip to Rome was next, massive game this for both sides who are in a three way fight alongside Napoli for EL football next season. We edged the game ultimately but couldn't find a way past their GK. A good point and a clean sheet is always welcome. 

Struggling Udinese were swept aside at home with three first half goals, Meite and a brace from Falque put us in a commanding position going into the break. Lukic added a fourth before they pulled one back four minutes from the end. 

Bologna were a tough nut to crack and we had to wait until the 96th minute to secure all three points when Parigini got the winner. Belotti had given us the lead on 52 minutes before they hit back almost straight away.  A huge win to end the month. We are well in there in our battle for European football. 

April 2019: 

1414305916_April2019.thumb.PNG.c575f3fdd06fbb68b2db93ea2df487cf.PNG

A busy month as we race towards the end of the season. Five games in total and some real tough tests too. 

A disappointing 1 nil home loss to Lazio was just the start we didn't want. Lucas Leiva was shown a straight red card in the 18th minute and from then on we had Lazio penned in their own half. A dominant display from my side but Lazio managed to break out late in the game and score on the break. Real tough defeat to take this one. 

The stats almost don't do it justice:

88C3CAC3F0A909255BF04139B5F089C697B23B87

We were still feeling sorry for ourselves when we visited Genoa as they got themselves into a two goal lead with just 11 minutes of regulation time remaining. Having lost patience with Zaza up font who was starting as Belotti was unavailable I subbed him off for Brijan Ibrahimi and what an inspired substitution it was to be too as he dragged us back into the game, first with an a lovely ball down the right hand side, a lovely floated cross was then put in and Trincao, racing in off his LW position headed it back across goal, a lifeline in the game with 7 minutes remaining, chucking the kitchen sink at them it was that man again, Ibrahimi who supplied the ball to Falque in the 92nd minute to make it 2-2. A fantastic comeback when we look dead and buried. 

This side has such a great spirit, never know when they are beaten. A great trait to have. 

Buoyed by the late comeback in our lasting outing we faced a resurgent Atalanta side. With three out of starting back four out of this game through either injury or suspension I was fearing the worst tbh and rightly so. Atalanta ran out comfortable 3 nil winners. We had a few chances but couldn't take them and defensively, we couldn't cope with the away side on this occasion. 

A trip to Florence to face a side that had tasted defeat just once in the league thus far was not high on my wishlist to be honest but Belotti was up for it at least as he gave us a 6th minute lead, said lead only lasted a minute as they hit back instantly and we played the game out to a 1-1 draw. A fair result and a big point for us. 

The final game of the month and we had to beat Frosinone who are having a fantastic season sitting inside the top 10. That man Belotti, who else was the goalscorer, from the penalty spot early in the game. We should have added another couple of goals really but the early goal was enough for us as Frosinone rarely troubled my backline. 

May 2019:

2124903230_May2019.thumb.PNG.c4f3be165ee7e21ee83066585f6a8080.PNG

So then, the final month of my debut season at Torino. 

First up the Cagliari game. A poor result at a team battling for their lives down at the bottom of the division but I expected a tough game here. They had the better chances of the game and really, they'll be disappointed to have not won it. 

Napoli at home, we sat one place and 2pts above them with three games to go. Belotti with his 14th goal of the season, from 12 yards gave us the lead after 25 minutes and at the break we went in 1 up. Second half they scored in the 54th and 85th minute from 22 yards to take all three points and they leapfrog us into 6th position. 

A Turin derby at league leaders Juventus and a narrow 1 nil defeat in a poor game of football, fitting then that at the only goal of the game was a poor one too as De Silvestri put through his own net off a corner just 7 minutes into the game. Both teams with just one shot on target the whole of the game. 

News item post match informs me that we have actually qualified for the EL next season after all due to Roma winning the Coppa Italia. Happy days, European football delivered in my debut season in the dugout!

The final game of the season and a chance to get revenge on Inter for the disastrous 6-1 hammering we endured in the reverse fixtures. I told my team to go out there and get their own back on the men in black and blue and they did just that. 

Iago Falque opening the scoring with his 9th goal of the season eleven minutes after the interval and Belotti doubling the scoreline with his 15th goal of the season on 74 minutes. A late consolation goal from Inter when Lautaro Martinez scored inside the box with just his 2nd goal of a poor season for the Argentine. 

A great victory for my team and a perfect way to end the season. 

2C02D683967080C3AF0F7490C71B909605A2D724

7th place in my first season at the helm is something I'm very pleased about. We had some excellent results and performances throughout the season, notably the wins against Inter and the 2-1 win in Naples against Napoli also the 0-0 draw at Juventus in my first Turin Derby but also very good results like such as the 0-0s at Roma and Fiorentina. 

A solid foundation to build on this summer with a signing or two, defensively we've been fantastic but we need a little more quality in the final third and to ease the burden on Belotti as Zaza hasn't delivered at all as the backup striker. 

A cup run in the Coppa Italia would be nice next season too after exiting in the 3rd Qualifying rounds this season and a venture into Europe will be exciting and also means we need a bigger squad for the 2019/20 season. Exciting times ahead for Turin's other club, Torino!

Not long after the final whistle is blown on the 2018/19 season I get news that I have won the Serie A manager of the year award! 

Now for some stats from the season:

Top scorer  - Belotti with 15 goals
Most assists - Iago Falque with 8
Highest average rating - De Silvestri - 7.16
9th best attack
5th best defence
17 clean sheets

Brilliant first season, far better than my attempt with Torino where I finished 13th. Brilliant defensive numbers there too. Need to do your utmost to keep Belotti and the EL should be enough to do so if you can strengthen sufficiently. KUTGW :thup:

4 hours ago, CamillePunk said:

Expectations met, well done. Will have to strengthen the squad quite a bit to contest in Europe and the league next season. 

Thank you. Media had us down for 8th place so to go one better I'm really pleased about. Pre season has been concluded and the transfer window has closed, I feel I've done some really good business on top of what I've posted about in the second post. Been a busy summer and tbh, slightly busier than I had expected. 

4 hours ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Brilliant first season, far better than my attempt with Torino where I finished 13th. Brilliant defensive numbers there too. Need to do your utmost to keep Belotti and the EL should be enough to do so if you can strengthen sufficiently. KUTGW :thup:

Cheers. I do like to keep it tight at the back, doesn't matter how many you score if you can't do a good job at keeping them out at the other end. When I do my squad building I always look to build from back to front. CBs take priority generally speaking but the CBs I had at Torino upon my arrivial meant I could look to other areas of the squad as they were good enough for the time being, hence the arrival of the LB, Kevin Rodrigues last summer. :) 

Safe to say there's been plenty of interest in Belotti over the summer...

32 minutes ago, Sysiphus said:

Solid first season. As a Torino fan myself, I have to follow this thread!

Indeed it was and thanks. :thup:

6 hours ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Can't help but feel the ellipsis means bad news...

I couldn't possibly make any further comments to confirm nor deny the speculation regarding Mr. Belotti. :brock:

In others news, seems we're not in Europe this season after all, Milan won the Europa League and apparently some shuffling of the pack means we miss out altogether.  :( 

image.thumb.png.197d424e316600cc4d8edb0a

Season 2019/20

Incoming Transfers:

1278060030_transfersin.thumb.PNG.9a15900f6b7c06162fcf3ff6ed27bb11.PNG

£44m spent

The first two signings, Ansaldi and Zaza are hardcoded into the game after the completion of their loan deals from the first season, they don't fit into my plans but I don't have a choice regarding their incomings but I will be looking to shift them on in January. 

Da Graca I posted his screenshot in a previous post, I signed him last summer whilst he was on loan at Juventus from Palermo, he will go into my u20 side and from there probably be loaned out to my affiliate club Taranto next season. One, I hope for the future this one. 

Dennis Man, signed him in January and posted his screenshot in the previous post, he spent the previous 6 months with his old club before arriving in Turin this summer, he is the Falque replacement and my first choice RW. Only 20 years old and one I see staying at the club for many years, very talented young Romanian. 

Nahitan Nandez who I will be looking to phase in at DM ahead of the ageing Rincon. Another that I agreed a deal for in the winter window who also stayed with his club til this summer. 

88F8162DB14AA3653EEF6B4EE6636031A2696BC5

Now to the first signing of this summer transfer window and another youngster I hope will form a key part of my side going forward. With Lazio showing major interest in my current RB, De Silvestri and himself not getting any younger I needed to think about a potential replacement for him this summer let alone next. As always I like to sign young players that will stay at the club for a long time and develop their game with us and Wan Bissaka was my no.1 target here. To my surprise he was still at Crystal Palace as I presumed that one of the PL's top 6 would have signed him but none of them were even showing any interest in him, after some tough negotiating with the Palace chairman we got our man. £21.5m, a big outlay but worth it imo to lock this position down for the foreseeable. 

4EF59803E8DF401B69E3B0DF5581DC5CE6B88D1C

Back to raid Braga next as we signed Portugal u20 midfielder Xadas for just £2.7m in our last signing of this window. Due to an unexpected CM departure I was forced into the market and this guy has always delivered for me on previous saves so he was my first choice target and a deal was quickly agreed for a very fair fee too.  

So overall, our incoming transfers I am very pleased with, I feel we've really strengthened the side and locked down some key positions going forward with quality young players that I hope will develop really well at Torino over the coming seasons. 

Outgoing transfers:

32079854_outgoingtransfers.thumb.PNG.424531ed77dbacdbb9c760b0aeaa9b67.PNG

£55m received 

Adem Ljalic was another hardcoded transfer from the first season. 

Iago Falque was 29 years old and in the last year of his deal and I didn't want to renew his contract as he was likely going to want at least a three year deal and a pay raise and this didn't make sense to me. Time to cash in and we recieved £5m over his market value, fantastic bit of business this I feel. 

Berenguer was the third choice LW and surplus to requirements. Good fee for him from Tenerife.

M'Biaye Niang was out on loan last season and wasn't in my plans and we received a good fee for him.

Meite going to Leicester I wasn't planning on though, this was a surprise deal, he wanted a new contract on big wages and I only saw him as a backup player so I wasn't about to give him a pay raise and guarantees over gametime, so Leicester quickly came in and wrapped up a deal for him. Best for both parties this. This was the deal that forced me into the market and meant we signed Xadas so every silver cloud eh?

Ivan Michelotti is the 17yo LB that I promoted to my senior squad upon my arrival at the club last summer, he featured 12 times including 4 starts last campaign and was set to be my backup LB this season until I realised I had a LB returning to the club after his loan away and I couldn't sell him so I decided to loan out the youngster for a season and really get him some big minutes at a fellow Serie A side. Newly promoted Palermo were straight in for him after I placed him on the loan list and they promised to play him as a first team regular and cover his modest wages, excellent.

*In the first five months of this campaign he has featured in all five of the Serie A player of the month awards, three times placing second and in third place twice. He's coming along really well. 

All the other outgoings are u18/u20s players.

Pre Season

981164815_preseason2.thumb.PNG.8d26a902df28f0af3477d928e81e035c.PNG

All good here. A brief tour of Spain was nice for the club, we were invited out there to increase the clubs appeal in the country and a couple of wins surely helped. Mostly about match fitness and gelling the new signings for me pre season and we did just that. All set for the new season!

August 2019:

956337661_aug2.thumb.PNG.06ec5c5a4d319585559b164b7a83e543.PNG

Not the start I had in mind to kickstart my second season in charge but a point is better than nothing and we set out as we mean to go on in a defensive manner with the clean sheet.

A trip to face Fiorentina is always tough, a very passionate fanbase these lot but a very good point and another clean sheet, very nice.

An early Turin Derby then and a resounding three nil loss. 

September 2019

1375373075_Sept2.thumb.PNG.947ea079240c6f476a523a0d58bb3d3c.PNG

Just the three league games again and what a month it was too! Three games, three wins and three clean sheets, woo!

A 4-0 home success over Parma in the fourth game of the season, finally we have a win and some goals! Baselli had the game of his life here with a goal and three assists. 7 key passes from him also. Belotti, Izzo and Trincao with the other goals. 

Another home game, this time vs Bologna and a single goal from Rincon of all players got the job done.

Newly promoted Perugia was next on the calendar. With 1 win and 4 draws from their opening set of fixtures back in the top flight they will be difficult opposition I'd imagine. Two goals in the opening 25 minutes, the first from Xadas, his first goal for the club, a 30 yard banger and then Baselli carrying on his excellent start to the season, second half Trincao added the third. 

October 2019:

1678144184_October2019.thumb.PNG.2989f259f734bf63de94b08e52e52273.PNG

An out of form Lazio side next in Rome and a 1 nil loss due to a first half strike. We didn't deserve to lose the game but we just didn't take our chances, Parigini coming closest to levelling the game for us in the 86th minute but his shot struck the upright. 

After a two week international break we are back in league action as we host Sassuolo and two first half goals in the space of 60s give us a two goal lead at the break. Dennis Man with his first goal after his summer arrival and then Trincao getting his third goal of the campaign after some good work down the left from Belotti. A late goal from sub Belkheir added a third and put the game beyond doubt. Back to winning ways!

Baselli with an assist in the last game means he now has one goal more and one assist more than in the whole of last season. 

A return to the scene of our worst nightmare as we face Inter, we lost 6-1 on this ground last season to this side and it wasn't a game I was looking forward to quite honestly. A really poor first half from my side as we were penned back for the duration of the opening 45 but somehow only one down.

Just before the hour mark it was 2 nil as they scored from outside the box, a few changes were made and we pulled one back via a Belkheir goal only to see it chalked off for offside. 
No complaints over the scoreline, my first 11 didn't all start this game either and it was an improvements over this fixture last season so we'll take the positives and go again. 

Spal at home who are sitting in midtable was the ideal game to get back in the win column and well, despite laying siege to their goal for 90 minutes we left empty handed. 

I'll leave the screenshot of the game and let that do the talking. 

65B9E36DD0BE6FCF911055483A56AA0916A07B32

November 2019:

919028708_November2019.thumb.PNG.811c35d6ecbdda09afb45789b6200206.PNG

Three defeats in four and only scored in one of those games, worst run of form so far. Have to get back to form here after we missed the opportunity to do just that in the previous game. 

Bottom and winless Frosinone, after the poor run we're currently on I decided to make a few changes here and despite 20 shots from us we failed to score. Another poor result and we have to arrest this slide sharpish. 

Belotti's form is really hurting us, we're creating so much but he hasn't scored in over 10 hours of football now. 

Surprise package of the season, Pescara at home next up. They are somehow second in the table after gaining promotion from the second tier last season. As a first half display I couldn't really have asked for any more from my players. 2 nil to the good, 21 shots to the oppositions three and nearly two thirds of possession. Man and Belotti getting on the scoresheet in the first half. 

No goals in the second half but as comfortable a 2 nil as you're ever going to get. 38 shots to their 5 and 60% possession. Back to the win column we go and another clean sheet, our 8th in 12 games.

Genoa away after the third international break, setting up training for the following weeks and a couple of rest days have been put in place after the Pescara game as a few players are struggling with knocks etc. 

19th place Genoa away after the two week break and a hard fought 2-1 victory. These clashes against the relegation battling sides can tend to be tight affairs and this one was no different. Trincao gave us the lead after 27 minutes with a lovely glancing header via a Baselli cross, Izzo put through his own net inadvertently 3 minutes after the restart before Belotti supplied Man who made no mistake from inside the box on the angle just 8 minutes later.

Baselli really is playing with an added belief this season. Another 5 key passes in that outing, such a key part of our attacking play. Two goals and 5 assists from 13 games and also 3 POTM awards. Can't really ask for anymore really.

December 2019:

1309161138_Dec2.thumb.PNG.7c7d8e8e121ee727cc00005d18adeae8.PNG

Into December and top of the table Roma are the visitors to the Olimpico Grande Torino and what a performance from my side as we took a two goal lead into the interval courtesy of goals from Man and then Belotti, a late goal from Zaniolo was scant consoltation for the away side. 

That was Roma's first loss of the season in Serie A!

A really busy month continues with 7 games this month alone we face a trip to Atalanta who currently reside in 18th place. They had a similarly bad start in the league last season before coming storming back after the winter break when they won 9 straight so they have the quality and we have to at it for the full 90 minutes. 

Another hard fought game saw us come away with all three points thanks to a 5th goal of the season from my LW, Francisco Trincao.

11th place Palermo are welcomed to Turin for game no.16 of this season but despite our best efforts the result is 0-0. Trincao came the closest to breaking the deadlock with an header off the bar. At the other end that was our 10th clean sheet in 16 league games. 

A midweek clash against Sassuolo in the first round of the Italian Cup was next and I made 7 changes for this one due to the fixture congestion but thankfully we still came out winners, Xadas breaking the away supports hearts in the 82nd minute with a very nicely taken goal. Both sides finished the game with 10 men, Zaza shown a straight red card for the home side late on for a two footed lunge, honestly, the sooner I can get rid of this guy the better. 

Looking at some of the others games this round and some big scalps have been taken, Juventus and Roma both losing at home and Lazio losing on penalties to AC Milan.

The 2nd round of the Coppa Italia was drawn post match and we face an away game at Fiorentina. Not the easiest of ties but in the QF that's to be a given really. The game takes place at the end of January and in our four fixtures that month, two of them are vs the men from Florence with the first game being a home match in the league a week prior.

Our penultimate away game before the winter break is a trip to Milan to face AC. Milan are having a good season after a poor campaign last time around, they sit 4th in the standings. They've scored just 8 goals less than the whole of last season already so this is going to be a good test for my side. 

A 2 nil away win, what a performance and result it was too, a surging run and assist from the POTM, Kevin Rodrigues from LB helped to unlock the Milan defence 15s into the second half and then a second from Trincao sealed the win. Belotti and and Trincao both missed very good chances inside the box too. 

That was Milan's first defeat at home and first goals against also!

A sixth clean sheet in our previous 8 matches now, really impressed with that and my new signings are really starting to gel now, Trincao's development on the LW is really good. He's my top scorer so far this campaign. 

Napoli in the final home game before the winter break and after just 14 minutes we found ourselves two goals to the good. Trincao and then De Silvestri with the goals, a very nice move down our left saw a whipped cross get headed in halfway through the half from Napoli before we had two very good chances to regain our two goal lead, first with Belotti who had an header cleared off the line before the rebound came to Man and the GK made a fantastic save to keep it out. 

Belotti getting a third for us just after the hour mark ensured all three points were ours. A lovely move as Nandez sweeps the ball out to the right, De Silvestri is in acres of space, he drives into the box and plays a nice ball along the floor for Andrea Belotti to pass into the far corner, food and drink for a player of his quality. 

Final game ahead of the three week break and a game vs 16th place Sampdoria away from home. Two first half goals put us in a commanding position at the break, Belotti continuing his excellent recent form and then Man doubling the lead. Xadas with the third. 

We are flying right now. 8 wins and two draws from the last 10 games including 6 clean sheets. 

So then, the league table at the halfway point of my second season:

68582FDFAD5520208172B6B570C53A4358D04A2A

To be in fourth in the table and occupying the final CL place at the halfway stage of the season is fantastic. We had a bit of a slow start which I anticipated due to the squad changes but I knew once my new signings started to gel that we'd go on a run and that has clearly been the case, tbh, the winter break has come at the wrong time for us, we have so much momentum right now I fancy us against anyone in this league. 

Advancement in the cup is also a welcome bonus, plenty to look forward to at Torino when we come back next calendar year. 

On 10/05/2019 at 21:13, karanhsingh said:

Following this thread keenly mainly on account of hating Juventus. Good luck. hope you managed to keep the beast Belotti

Well that's a good a reason as any I guess. We did manage to hold onto Belloti but not sure for how long with some big clubs watching with interest.

On 10/05/2019 at 21:36, john1 said:

Decent season :cool: I am managing Torino, myself, won the title in my second season with pure luck!

Nice. :thup:

22 hours ago, deltablue said:

It's always interesting to try and overthrow a big rival. 

Indeed it is, won't happen overnight but we'll do our best to make that happen. 

53 minutes ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Perhaps the Belotti news wasn't what I expected! Well done on a great first half of the season, keen to see where you can finish, especially after that mammoth December.

Lots of interest in Belotti, highest bid I received was around £44m from PSG. Hats off to Napoli though for their cheeky loan bid. :D 

Yeah I was surprised to see that fixture list for December, sheer carnage but we handled it very well. 

Second half of the season could very well be a battle of attrition as we have a small squad. 

Belloti left for Real Madrid in my third season :( Matched his minimum release clause sadly. I am also playing my Torino save now :D If you need a good AMC, I would definitely recommend Xadas from Braga, he's playing superb for me since first season. Will post screenshot of him when I fire up my FM.

bf4608731a5422e2edc7af5512a3911e.png 

Here is Xadas :cool: I'm disappointed he haven't been capped!

Also here is my head to head record against Juventus :D 

7cef7e7fbbd46fc9bf96e232198ed6f4.png 

Happy that I haven't lost to them since they battered me 5-0.

6 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I signed Xadas in the summer ahead of my second season, his transfer is included alongside his screenshot in the latest update further up. :) 

Dunno how I missed that :ackter:

I find AC Milan always do well against me :(  Yet to beat them in 4 attempts.

13 minutes ago, john1 said:

Dunno how I missed that :ackter:

I find AC Milan always do well against me :(  Yet to beat them in 4 attempts.

Drew 0-0 at home with Milan, lost 2-1 away and then in the first game vs them this season we won 2 nil at the San Siro. So not too shabby really. 

3 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Lots of interest in Belotti, highest bid I received was around £44m from PSG. Hats off to Napoli though for their cheeky loan bid. :D 

Yeah I was surprised to see that fixture list for December, sheer carnage but we handled it very well. 

Second half of the season could very well be a battle of attrition as we have a small squad. 

Not a good enough offer, done the right thing by keeping him. Some loan bids that come in are laughable haha.

Keep enough players fit and you should be in with a chance, easier said than done though. 

5 hours ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Not a good enough offer, done the right thing by keeping him. Some loan bids that come in are laughable haha.

Keep enough players fit and you should be in with a chance, easier said than done though. 

He's got a £90m release clause that expires in the summer of 2021 so there's no way I'm accepting 50% of that.

After some January departures we've been left with a very small squad and we've had some injuries to key players, some for weeks at a time in the second half of the season, I was right when I predicted a battle of attrition squad wise put it that way.

I had some pretty laughable offer for him like 40M from AC Milan for Belotti, but i noticed when his values goes up, clubs tends to offer more than before :thup: Then his value went up to 65M, then Real Madrid activated his release clause.

30 minutes ago, john1 said:

I had some pretty laughable offer for him like 40M from AC Milan for Belotti, but i noticed when his values goes up, clubs tends to offer more than before :thup: Then his value went up to 65M, then Real Madrid activated his release clause.

Yeah this season his value has shot up. Was £21.5m now it's £41.5m. 

Season 2019/20

Transfer Outgoings:

1254203780_Outsjan2.thumb.PNG.91fe737a83ab5b853850fa5303a3545c.PNG

Sasa Lukic was complaining about a lack of gametime and when I told him I couldn't guarantee him enough football he asked to leave so I duly obliged.

Belkheir and Da Graca are talented youth players that are spending the second half of this season on loan at Serie B clubs, should be good for their development. 

All the other outgoings are u18/20 players that don't have a future at the club. 

Transfer In:

4E48FF78609CC460FEACB7F561AA906B48878107

My new first choice GK. 

Wasn't planning on making this signing until the summer but when Hoffenheim went in for him in January I moved to secure his signature. Sirigu, my current No.1 isn't getting any younger at 33 now and we have to start planning for the future regarding who the GK shall be and this guy was my overwhelming first choice between the sticks. £13m from Ajax was the fee. 

Other club news:

I have been offered and signed a new 2.5 year deal at the club. 

We have data analysis improvements on the way as well as improvements to the training ground and youth facilties  Costs are approx £6.85m.

With Sasa Lukic leaving the club in the winter window I had a deal agreed to sign Sandro Tonali for £11.5m from Brescia, everything was agreed but then at the 11th hour Juventus came in for him, gazumped our off to both the club and player and he went to them instead. 

January 2020:

Jan.thumb.PNG.86aae7bf6f2e23232a44194fed00f5f7.PNG

Two routine friendly wins to get some match fitness back into the legs before the second half of the season gets underway.

15th place Udinese the first game back after the lay off and an early debut for Onana between the sticks due to Sirigu being ill. 
Having raced into a three goal lead after just 24 minutes things were looking rosy, well this was the epitome of a game of two halves as we then proceeded to chuck away a win and give three goals to Udinese in the second half, the players received the hairdryer treatment at FT. 

11 games unbeaten now according to a news item post match, a new club record. Shame it wasn't in better circumstances having thrown away a three goal lead.

Fair result in the draw vs Fiorentina. All four league games have ended in draws now between the two sides. 

Juventus at home and a narrow and undeserved 3-2 loss. They only had 6 shots and scored 3 times, clinical. 

A 3-1 loss in Florence puts paid to our hopes in the Coppa Italia, I had to make a few changes for this game for fitness reasons and injuries, we both had chances and they took more of theirs than we took of ours and that's that. 

Bad month really, winless in three league outings and knocked out of the cup. Have to come back strong next month and get back on track. No shame in losing to Juve in a tight affair and the loss at Fiorentina could have been a different story had we been more efficient in front of goal. 

February 2020: 

Feb.thumb.PNG.ec91c3298520fc3417f1e41855550fd7.PNG

A 0-0 at second bottom Parma and a very poor performance to boot. The clean sheet was a welcome return, always a solid foundation to build upon. Onana's first clean sheet of what I'm sure will be many. 

Another poor result and poor performance with another goalless draw. Trincao coming off the bench was put clean through in the 91st minute but his shot was saved. The only shot on target from us. 

Perugia held us to a 0-0 which means we're seven games with out a win, two big points dropped in the race for CL football next season. Third consecutive 0-0 now. A first half Xadas FK hitting the woodwork and a Dennis Man goal chalked off for offside was the closest we came to scoring. 

Finally a victory! I was almost starting to forget what that felt like. Trincao and then Belotti in two first half minutes did the business. 

Francisco Trincao injured in training and therefore he'll miss the next 4 games minimum. Real blow this because he's a key player in my side but also because we have a very small squad as it is. Injuries are the last thing we need.

March 2020:

March.thumb.PNG.2406076a448767d4e1fbd0f90662fdea.PNG

Pretty quiet game at Sassuolo, they just sat back and looked to counter down the wings but we didn't let that happen, no real chances at the other end for us they had 7 players back not even counting the GK so it was like trying to break into Fort Knox with a wooden spoon. 

Now this was proper payback against Inter. At the break we were a goal down and not playing well so I put it quite clear to the players that the first half performance was not to my liking and to go out there and put it right and boy did they do just that. 

Absolutely brilliant 45 minutes from my side, we tore Inter apart and we looked like we had a goal in us every time we attacked them. Huge statement win. 
Belotti with a brace, Man, Parigini and an OG were the scorers for us. 
Even more impressive this win was when I didn't even play my strongest side due to fatigue. 

Dominant performance at Spal and a 1-0 win thanks to a first half strike from Baselli from 20 yards. Onana with his 6th straight clean sheet since his January move, didn't even have to dirty his gloves in this outing.

Rotated for this game and it backfired. I can't complain with the actual performance, 27 shots 15 on target. We were forced to play the last 30 minutes with 10 men having used all three subs another player then got injured and then disaster struck in the 95th minute. Baselli scored our goal. 

Really poor result and morale sapping too. Failure to beat the team bottom of the table at home, felt like a loss tbh. 

April 2020:

April.thumb.PNG.2a25448466e6d215e1843cece0e00f97.PNG

Big away win at Pescara to get the three points. Xadas and a Belotti brace.

Belotti suspended for the game vs Genoa so it meant an half fit Trincao was tasked with leading the line. And what a job he did too scoring both goals in injury time to win us the game. The first from the penalty spot and the second inside the box after lovely through ball from Parigini. Huge three points. 

Huge win at Roma. Their first home defeat all season. Twice taking the lead in the first half only to be pegged back both times before Xadas bagged the winner with his 5th goal of the campaign. He really has been fantastic since the turn of the year.

This win means with 5 games to go we're just 6pts off first place, could we do it? 

Brilliant result vs Atalanta. Three goals in a 9 minute period after the break sealed the win. Belotti bagging an hat trick and Xadas adding the fourth. 

May 2020:

May.thumb.PNG.2e4d79701cdaeabefd6db8e1faa65fb7.PNG

A trip down south to Sicliy to face 10th place Palermo and a 2-2 draw. Really good game this, at least for the neutrals, 25 shots on target combined. We blew a 2 goal lead after the break. Trincao and Baselli on the scoresheet.

A 2-2 draw for the second game running vs Milan in the battle for fourth was a good point considering we played with 10 men since the 36th minute when Nandez received his second yellow card. Trincao with another brace, what a season the Portuguese youngster is having. 

A huge game at Napoli, a draw at least here and a win in the final game means CL football next season but at the break we're 2-1 down, two OGs too. Onana and then Nkoulou.

Our hopes of CL football next season are over. We needed a draw in Naples to take it to the final matchday but we beat ourselves sadly. Football can be a cruel, cruel game at times. 

First defeat for 15 games. 

Final game of the season then and a win was needed alongside a Milan draw/loss to secure EL football and we couldn't do our part of the deal. Another two goals shipped, four games running now, we've just ran out of legs at the end of the season with a small squad. So close to CL football and then EL football but just missed out. 

Nkoulou and Trincao our goalscores to bring the curtain down on our second season at Torino. 

Final League Table

:449604E374229137259391EFF8E4502DEB4FF936

Seventh place for the second year running, narrowly missing out on European football again but overall I'm very pleased with how the season has gone. We challenged for CL football until matchday 37 before losing in unlucky circumstances. We're showing fantastic consistency and I believe that is key to long term success. We are building something here at Torino that I feel can last and it's only a matter of time until we progress even further. 

My recruitment policy of buying young and relatively cheap talent before the big boys can get in there is paying off as they've all played a key part in another very good campaign in Serie A. 

Francisco Trincao: In his first full season at the club he has 16 goals and 9 assists in 31(2) games from the LW. Really pleased with those numbers and also his overall development. He also signed a new 5 year deal with the club during the season. 

Dennis Man: My first choice RW, first campaign at the club and he has settled right in taking over from Iago Falque as the Inside Forward plundering 7 goals and creating a further 9 from 39 games. An ever present in my side. Big hopes for the young Romanian to kick on even further next season. 

Xadas: Another one to have just finished his maiden season at Torino. He started the season rather slowly but I always had faith in him to produce after he settled into his new surroundings. Seven goals and 4 assists from CM shows that I was right to be patient with the young Portuguese man. 

Aaron Wan-Bissaka: My first choice RB is another that took a few months to get comfortable but once he did he was looking really good for my side. Five assists from 29(3) games at RB and a 7.12 overall rating for his debut season is something he can look to build upon over the coming seasons. 

Nahitan Nandez: Lots of little injuries and a couple of suspensions for the Argentina hardman meant his season was rather disrupted. Looking for him to kick on next season. A decent campaign but I know he can do a lot better. 91% passing rate and won 88% of his tackles from the base of my midfield are certainly more than acceptable numbers but we need to be able to field him more next time around after just 22 league starts and another 5 off the bench. 

Andre Onana: Eight clean sheets in 16 games is not bad at all, 6 of those came consecutively too. At just 24 years old I know I have just the man for the job between the sticks for a while yet. Ideally suited to my gameplan too which was a big reason for his signing with him being a very good sweeper keeper with further room to develop yet. 

Season stats:

Top scorer  -  Andrea Belotti - 17 goals
Most assists - Trincao & Man - 9 assists
Highest average rating - Trincao  - 7.38
6th best attack
4th best defence
 19 clean sheets

I won the Serie A Manager of the Year award for the second season running.

Francisco Trincao won the fans' payer of the season award, amassing 56% of the votes.

Trincao also won the Serie A midfielder of the year.

Sirigu 2nd in the Serie A GK of the year award.

Cracking season despite not getting into Europe, just hit a bad patch of form at exactly the wrong time following a fantastic April. Positive you can better that finish next season with some shrewd additions in the summer.

1 hour ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Cracking season despite not getting into Europe, just hit a bad patch of form at exactly the wrong time following a fantastic April. Positive you can better that finish next season with some shrewd additions in the summer.

Yeah exactly. Slow and steady wins the race and all that. 

Little update, only been given £13m for transfers this summer and I've worked out that we need five signings due to a small squad and 1-2 departures. Roughly halfway through the off season at the minute and it's been a real struggle to identify players that can improve us for the budget we have. 

Looking in my youth sides as I always do first when needing a player and we aren't bursting at the seams with talent that can make the step up apart from a potential 4.5* CB but we're well stocked at first team level there with 5 CBs in the senior squad. 

Just over half of that transfer budget has been spent on a new starter to replace an outgoing so a key player will almost certainly be leaving this summer after he turned down new contract talks with just 12 months remaining on his current deal..

5 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Send up the @oriole01 signal!

I'm guessing that person is a Torino fan? :) 

1 hour ago, craigcwwe said:

Yeah exactly. Slow and steady wins the race and all that. 

Little update, only been given £13m for transfers this summer and I've worked out that we need five signings due to a small squad and 1-2 departures. Roughly halfway through the off season at the minute and it's been a real struggle to identify players that can improve us for the budget we have. 

Looking in my youth sides as I always do first when needing a player and we aren't bursting at the seams with talent that can make the step up apart from a potential 4.5* CB but we're well stocked at first team level there with 5 CBs in the senior squad. 

Just over half of that transfer budget has been spent on a new starter to replace an outgoing so a key player will almost certainly be leaving this summer after he turned down new contract talks with just 12 months remaining on his current deal..

Unfortunate but you definitely have the basis of a strong squad considering the 2 finishes you've just achieved. Looking forward to seeing how you get on and who's coming in :)

17 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

I'm guessing that person is a Torino fan? :) 

He meant to tag me :lol:

But huge Toro fan, always nice to a see a thread with them 😇 and solid form in the league. Hope you can push on and get them higher up the table 

Season 2020/21

Transfers In:

860046497_transfersin.thumb.PNG.f005ff30b2e69388f406dd71772cd946.PNG

Spent:  £20m

First signing was a CB to replace an outgoing. Been tracking this fella since season one and now was the time to make our move. A very reasonable fee for a talented and still quite young CB with experience of playing in Italy. 

AAE9A64E9982D2066239A57490B84A8CA802A37A

Another CB next and one with an eye for the future. Cardoso will firmly be backup for this season but will get about 10 games or so throughout the season whilst playing mainly for our u20s. He's definitely quite raw but with the right training, mentoring and gametime over the next 2-3 season and possibly a loan move we might well have at least a backup CB that won't complain too much. 

774B14CE1366B10B844BF83DB8BA5BE0A96EFE8E

A loan move this one from PSG for the season. I just missed out on his signature 12 months ago when he moved from River Plate for £3.9m. 

AFF592AF6BBC963FAD6D5108CB1B026345A77BAB

This next one was a bit of a steal really at £2.6m from Monaco. Bags of potential here which is what we like at Torino, raw, untapped potential for low fees that we can develop into big stars and this guy definitely ticks that box.

9DEA90C2437C9CE74936E31C8BA28AC6050BFF94

£2.7m from Bayern. They didn't see what I see in this young German. He'll provide backup on the LW to first choice Trincao. Currently rated by my coaches as a 2* ability but with massive potential, again, with the right training, gametime and even mentoring this guy has the potential to turn into a 4* player. 

7046E8B0AE2323E9A7F47E076DD15F8170FE8778

And the final incoming of this busy summer transfer window is to replace an outgoing. £6m from German side Schalke who never gave him a chance in their senior side. This will be quite the step up for Reese who has just one season of top flight football under his belt but I believe he can be capable of producing the goods for us. 

5BE9F69BC70A0A06D99C708B7AC6B39950415149

Transfers Out:

outgoings.thumb.PNG.9061a615c156fda652e7d359c27674db.PNG

Received: £49.5m

First major outgoing was my first choice RCB, Nkoulou. A bedrock at the back for my side in the first two seasons but he was coming towards the end of his contract and wanted an extra £1.5m pa and a long contract that at the age of 29 wasn't something I was interested in so I told him he was free to find himself a new club and he did just that as he departed for China. 

Savic is the third choice GK that needs to play senior football and Girona offered him that and also offered us a good deal. All parties happy with this. 

Francesco Laurenzi is one of my best youth prospects and goes to newly promoted Serie A side Benevento for a season's loan. 

Bremer isn't in my plans and has left for Sassuolo in January. Small fee received but a good deal nonetheless.

And lastly, this one was tough. With just 12 months remaining on his contract and with him turning down even the opportunity to discuss a new contract I had no choice but to cash in. So yeah, after two seasons of holding onto him for dear life. :D Andrea Belotti is no longer a Torino player. 

We received his market value, £44.5m from French club PSG. 

32 goals and eight assists he got for me in two seasons. 

Pre Season:

1561948720_ps3.thumb.PNG.6c5da6b74625083497afa280f35e3f2c.PNG

Standard pre season, get some minutes into the legs and integrate my new signings. 

August 2020:

aug.thumb.PNG.094593e6c7e26b113a2b371dd3e084b4.PNG

What a start to the season this was! We got the win after coming from 2-1 down at the break, one that I'm sure the neutrals enjoyed.  Man, Baselli and a brace on his debut from our new no.9, Fabian Reese the goalscorers.

Another crazy game as we ran out 5-3 winners at Perugia. At this point I'm getting rather annoyed at our defending. To ship 6 goals in two games is very unlike us. This one was more frustrating than the Lazio game as Perugia shouldn't be netting three against us. At the other end though we were once again fantastic. Easily could've scored another 2-3 here. 
Reese, Trincao, Xadas, an OG and Wan-Bissaka with the goals. 

Now this was more like it. A comfortable 2 nil win and our first clean sheet of the season. Dennis Man bagging both goals. 

September 2020:

sept.thumb.PNG.7743d1394ef4098b3f3ef9f222a78d78.PNG

Trincao and Man either side of a Parma goal gives us another three points. Four wins from four then to kick off the campaign!

And then a trip back to reality as we drop our first points of the season at the San Siro to a solid Milan side, they scored a couple of minutes before the hour mark. 

Back to winning ways thanks to an early Fabian Reese strike in an hard fought match to Sicilian outfit Palermo. 

October 2020:

Oct.thumb.PNG.26d33e4a30ed388e24dc71020c73cd89.PNG

Now the season is starting to get underway with 5 games this month but as you can already see, it wasn't our best month of this save. 

Franck Evina scoring his first goal for the club in a 1-1 draw at Bologna who have made a good start to the campaign. Not the worst result in the world really.

And then starts the run of three consecutive losses. 

Fiorentina came from a goal down to turn the game on it's head with two second half goals. Always a tough game is Fiorentina. 

Inter game we shouldn't have lost. We had the better chances and more shots overall but lost to a Mauro Icardi goal on the hour mark.

I thought a game vs bottom of the table and pointless Benevento was just the game we needed to get back on track and record a big win. Afterall they'd lost all 9 league games to this point. 

I was wrong. 

A goal just after the 30 minute mark gave the Serie A new boys a huge win and their first points of the season. 

Without a doubt my worst, and most frustrating result of the save. Really was a tough result to take that I turned the game off after this. :D

Napoli after the last game wasn't something I was thrilled about, my confidence in the side was running on fumes and I couldn't see where our next win was coming from to be honest but a first half strike from Palacios meant a much needed win for us against the side from Naples. 

A tough month at least ended on a positive note. 

November 2020:

november.thumb.PNG.0303e7dac51774ea68dd083dd70e8701.PNG

With an international break midway through the month it was another short month of Serie A football. 

We came from 1 goal down to race into a three goal lead within an 8 minute period late in the game before we capitulated at the back giving them two goals in the 85th and 91st minutes. This one felt like a loss. 

We're having a bit of a tough time at this point in the season, not as strong defensively as I'm used to despite only one new addition to my backline since last season. Extra defensive work was added to the calendar after this game. 

Spal away was a tough game, they always seem to give us a hard time. Dennis Man scored the winner in the 94th minute after Trincao opened the scoring. 

Now this was more like it. A routine, comfortable 3 nil home success. This is what we've been missing thus far. Da Graca scored the opener, his first for the club.

Xadas from the penalty spot 5 minutes after the break and a late goal, also his first for Torino, Bongiovanni from range. 

December 2020:

Dec.thumb.PNG.0bc6671ebc59a9e73ac70e8d44f224c4.PNG

So then, the final five games of 2020.

Pescara was another straightforward win. Da Graca for the second game running and Dennis Man scoring the goals. 

A creditable 1-1 home draw against Roma is never something to grumble about. Da Graca opening the scoring 9 minutes before the HT whistle. 

Da Graca, Evina and Reese with the goals against Empoli. 

How Sampdoria came away with a draw here we'll never know. 5 shots to our 33. 

And then the Turin derby on Boxing day again. A very even game with neither side doing enough to warrant taking home the three points. 

Table at the halfway stage:

64E988ED69634F940630FDDC205377C354718A43

Very pleased with the first half of the season overall, some bad results and a poor run in October but we've since steadied the ship and occupy the final CL place ahead of the remaining 19 games. It's going to be a very close end to the season, a lot of teams that are very evenly matched.

Great first half of the season again despite losing the main man. Can't help but feel you could have potentially got a little bit more, even with just a year left on the contract, but completely understand the need to cash in if he's not signing a new contract and considering the start to the season you've had you're not missing him too much! October aside has been brilliant, keep that up and the CL can't be far away :)

40 minutes ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Great first half of the season again despite losing the main man. Can't help but feel you could have potentially got a little bit more, even with just a year left on the contract, but completely understand the need to cash in if he's not signing a new contract and considering the start to the season you've had you're not missing him too much! October aside has been brilliant, keep that up and the CL can't be far away :)

Yeah it's been another good half season so far, October aside as you point out. Our consistency is really pleasing and seeing the development of several of my young stars is very rewarding, just need to make sure I can keep hold of them! If we were to miss out on CL football this season I think it could be a big problem for some of my players as half of Europe are after them now and it's unsettling them. 

As for Belotti, I started by asking for £90m which was his release clause but nobody was interested in paying that. Over a few weeks I came down to £52m but still nothing and at the end I only had the PSG offer on the table. In the previous window, January I received a bid from Dortmund for £47.5m, that was the highest bid I got for him in the save. 

Season     Club        League             Position           Achievements/Other
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19     Torino         Serie A               7th                 Coppa Italia  - 3rd Qualifying Round      Serie A Manager of the Year
2019/20     Torino         Serie A               7th                 Coppa Italia  - Quarter Final             Serie A Manager of the Year
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Season 2020/21

January 2021:

806061967_jan2021.thumb.PNG.c9db04660ce1d8a77be7d0ba37fbcc17.PNG

No winter friendlies this time around as the winter break wasn't as long so straight into action with the Coppa Italia kicking off for us and a 2-1 home success to advance to the QFs. Simone Edera off the bench to net the winner after two OGs. 

League actions resumes at Lazio. They are third in the table, we're 4th. Big game and also my 100th in the dugout. 
Evina coming off the bench for the out of sorts Trincao got the leveller. Good point. 

News item post match says that Da Graca has won the Italian player of the week award. Four times out of the last 6 matchdays now. His development this season has been fantastic so far and he's now my first choice striker. 

15th place Perugia on a Thursday night next and a poor result as we couldn't find the quality to get a second. Dennis Man with our goal. Frank Evina had a penalty saved in the first half at 0-0. 

Nice and easy two nil win at relegation battling Brescia. A Xadas penalty just before the break and then Reese sealing the win not long after the restart.

Coppa Italia quarter final at Serie B side Frosinone. They sit third in the table with just three defeats all season so I expected a tough game and that is exactly what we got.  Two goals chalked off for offside in the space of 42s just after the HT break from us and then a late winner from them. Out of the cup, really disappointing to go out to a side from the division below but it wasn't really a surprise to me.

February 2021:

644580017_Feb2021.thumb.PNG.23e5379b40a578f3e4bc943848b3ce74.PNG

Parma at home in a busy month. Man with the goal for the one nil win.

14 league games unbeaten now. 8 wins and 7 draws.

Dennis Man opening the scoring at home to Milan before a header from Riyad  Mahrez earned AC an away point. 

A long trip down south next for the game against Palermo and a narrow 1 nil win. Trincao getting the only goal of the game.

We had to rely on a 95th minute leveller from Reese to earn a point at home to Bologna. We dominated the game throughout but they were so hard to break down. 

Reese and an 89th minute penalty from Xadas won us all three points against Fiorentina. 

March 2021:

1896896674_march2021.thumb.PNG.e88586a5bbc045bfce8617f698436311.PNG

A very fair 1-1 draw at Inter. Palacios scoring the equaliser for us in the second half to kick off March's three league games.

Next up was an home game against the last team to beat us in Serie A. Benevento. I told my players that they should go out there and get revenge. My words worked as we raced into a two goal lead after just 4 minutes. 

31 shots in total to their zero. A dominant performance.  Da Graca, Xadas (Pen) and Palacios with the goals.

After the final international break of the season we are back in Serie A action at underperforming Napoli, Jose Mourinho is the new manager there having replaced Marcelo Bielsa in January. They sit 10th in the table. I do anticipate a tough game nonetheless.

And our 19 game unbeaten run has come to an end as Napoli run out deserved winners. 
April 2021:

2140185270_April2021.thumb.PNG.e0829a00ce7286a5087bb63a87e0442f.PNG

Four players suspended for the away game at Atalanta. Romero, Wan-Bissaka, Da Graca and De Silvestri.  Not good. 
The game in Bergamo saw both sides nullify the other sides threats and it ended 0-0. Good point in my opinion considering the players we had missing. 

Another three players out for this game. Onana injured. Xadas and Dennis Man both suspended. 

After a pre match pep talk to several players, including Trincao to up their performances we came out fast again, Trincao himself scoring two in the opening five minutes. The first a penalty and then a FK. 
Baselli so nearly getting in on the action when the goalkeeper tipped his 25 yarder onto the underside of the bar. Not even 10 minutes on the clock yet and we were looking to put Spal to the sword early on. 
Francisco Trincao bagged his hat trick in the second half and then substitute Rincon got his first goal of the campaign. 

Baselli scoring for the second game running gave us all three points at 18th place Sassuolo. 

Am appaling result at home to mid table Pescara. 
2-3 times a season we lose these games and it's costing us European football. 

May 2021:

1887037213_May2021.thumb.PNG.5910af44181637858782784143de2357.PNG

Crushing defeat at Roma. Never got into the game. Heaviest defeat as Torino manager. 

As it stands we're two points clear of 5th place. Could be that we need to get a result in the derby on the final day at Juventus to get 4th.

Huge three points away to in form Empoli, Dennis Man with both goals. 

Final home game of the campaign sees us host Sampdoria and a win here will give us CL football next season. 

Nowhere near good enough to put away the team in 15th to end the home campaign. Disappointing result and performance which means we could well need a result at Juventus on the last matchday as I predicted a few games back to get into the CL providing Lazio keep the pressure on. 

One game to go and we're two points clear of 5th place Lazio. We have the H2H on Lazio with a win at home and a draw at their place so a draw will be enough for us. 
A draw and a Roma loss means we finish 3rd. Lot of drama and tension then on the final day.

Well, things didn't go our way on the last matchday as you can see. A comfortable 3 nil win for Juventus and Lazio winning 5-1 saw us finish 5th and miss out on CL football by a single point. 

Final League Table:

9913B0CFE2438B3F2E30D30B8423EBA3ED72CFB0

An heartbreaking end to the season as we missed out on CL football next season by the smallest of margins. For the second straight season we ran out of legs at the business end of the season. A win at home to 11th place Pescara or 15th place Sampdoria at the time would have secured top four but it wasn't to be. Overall I'm very pleased with the season, I was targeting 7th as a minimum to maintain the previous two seasons efforts so to get into Europe at the third time of trying when we've been so close the last two times is very pleasing, looking forward to that European adventure next season.

A fantastic 19 game league unbeaten run last five months was incredible. We're such a consistent side and that's very important. If we can just iron out 1-2 poor results that'd be nice. 

Another Coppa Italia quarter final exit but it was a close game and our opponents just edged it. 

So yeah, overall another very good season that finally sees us rewarded with a European place.

New signings review:

FCF91032F4B5F64BB2FA2E4DDDF11B37B92AD697

Signed for £8.25m to be my key CB and he delivered for us. Started all but 4 league games for us. Lot of interest in him from across Europe but no intention of selling this guy who I consider to be one of my key players already.

BB94D72A2BF992A8F21C016A9D2E95C3CB25BB53

This guy I bought with one eye on the future at CB, £525k, said in a previous post that I would be giving him 10/12 games this season and that's what he got, 6 starts and off the bench a further 6 times as well as playing for my u20s side with 15 outings. Very raw this guy but he has shown some improvement over the course of the season, possibly be loaned out next season depending on whether I can secure him at least first team regular status at a good level. Otherwise he'll continue as this season but playing more games. If he stays he'd be looking at 15 games as a minimum with the added EL competition to our schedule. 

DB7C1F4E1957A00B517DC2563AE0FBE9C2B88C5F

Loan signing for the season from PSG 19(11) games, 4 goals and 2 assists. A little underwhelming quite honestly, expected more from this chap. 

11A177D03AD0699F84AAB3DDE4D82E8FC2850B6D

A £2.6m signing from Monaco. 17(11) games, just one goal and no assists. Really struggled for form and consistency this campaign did the talented young Belgian. He did get himself a first cap for the Belgian NT towards the end of the season. Not going to write him off after one campaign but looking for him to show some improvements next time out. Lot of room to improve and we've a good record during my time at Torino of developing these young players. 

4687B031C6855956809C8E72AF3846D730AF9BF9

Signed from Bayern's reserve side for £2.7m. Backup LW 9(15) games, 2 goals and a single assist. Shown some good improvements in his development over the past 12 months but next season I'll be looking for him to kick on after a year of settling in at the club. 

98AC073A97FCFF70B7187F83666158D5218A699A

The final signing of last summer to replace Belotti was Fabian Reese. He ended up alternating the striker's spot with Da Graca who returned to the club after a 6 month loan in Serie B last season. Eight goals in 19(6) games. 

Season stats:

Top scorer  -  Dennis Man - 11 goals
Most assists - Francisco Trincao - 11 assists
Highest average rating - Wan-Bissaka - 7.07
6th best attack
8th best defence
 14 clean sheets

I won the Serie A Manager of the Year award for the third season running.

Francisco Trincao won the fans' payer of the season award.

13 minutes ago, john1 said:

Not bad season overall, surprised to see Inter and Napoli finishing  8th and 9th :eek: 

Yeah poor seasons for those two, Inter won the league the season before so to drop so far back is shocking from them. 

Napoli sold most of their best players last summer. £221m they received for players. 

Inter sold both of their starting CBs and recouped £106m. 

53 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Yeah poor seasons for those two, Inter won the league the season before so to drop so far back is shocking from them. 

Napoli sold most of their best players last summer. £221m they received for players. 

Inter sold both of their starting CBs and recouped £106m. 

Napoli seems to struggle alot on my save, finished 6th, 5th, 4th.

Season     Club        League             Position           Achievements/Other
2018/19     Torino         Serie A               7th                 Coppa Italia  - 3rd Qualifying Round      Serie A Manager of the Year
2019/20     Torino         Serie A               7th                 Coppa Italia  - Quarter Final             Serie A Manager of the Year
2020/21     Torino         Serie A               5th                 Coppa Italia -  Quarter Final             Serie A Manager of the Year

1 hour ago, karanhsingh said:

Good updates, and really unlucky to miss out on top 4! 

I am guessing you will be looking out for a better striker over the summer?

Cheers. 

Not bringing in a striker this season as I'm pleased with the development of Cosimo Marca Da Graca who I signed in my first season at the club for 150k. I also have a decent backup option in Fabian Reese so for now I won't be signing a striker. If I was to bring in one then I'd offload Reese. 

Season 2021/22

Transfers In:

1128905235_TransfersIn.thumb.PNG.3513aa8bb08f070b7dab24b88e25dda3.PNG

Spent: £23m

40A862BA44FC09A0AB71E1EBEC8F689A3A25696A

Signed for £5m from Hertha Berlin to play backup to Dennis Man on the RW. Cheaper than some alternatives for this position.

03D78479A4A9A6E550B0D04A1FDEB41FFC9FA31D

A replacement for an outgoing. £10.75m from Bayer Leverkusen. This chap shall be my new first choice at RB. He's playing at close to his full potential and very versatile. Again much cheaper than other targets that I was tracking and considering what other positions needing filling I couldn't get my first choice target. 

8A893A96C683EDBDBDA8C08EBF3606E3C45ABCCC

£3.5m from Lyon. Really pleased we managed to get this one over the line as he was being chased by a number of clubs across Europe. An absolute bargain at that price for his age and talent. A key player in my squad this coming season. 

9E764A2EE25E180FE4698CEFF381C3C26D256696

A loan signing from Bayern similar to the Palacios loan from PSG last summer. Adds in some real quality in CM and can play a number of positions. Again, priced out of my other targets for a permanent transfer so we had to head into the loan market and reassess our options again next summer in this position.

9721440D2724D27DE2F49EC90E55C834F04877B0

With the schedule being busier this coming season due to our participation in the Europa League we needed to add a signing at CB. As always I had a few targets in mind to join us before deciding on this guy. Once again raiding the German market we paid Gladbach £3.7m to secure the services this Senegalese centre half. 

6202EAC699AB8EC4D5FB654EFD4D5DD34EC7F43D

Needing cover due to an unexpected player sale I had to delve into the loan market as it was transfer deadline day. Having first checked my youth sides for a prospect and coming up short we didn't have the time nor the funds to make a permanent signing here. In the end I had to make do with this chap from PSG just to give us a backup option. 

Transfers Out: 

410619426_TransfersOut.thumb.PNG.61347f9ed6c19152c4c88f8e38c38365.PNG

Received: £23.5m

My backup GK, Sirigu was the first player out of the door this summer. He didn't want to play second fiddle to Onana so I agreed to his request to leave. Spurs came in and offered a good deal for a player who had just one year left on his contract. 

Belkheir was a youth player that never developed and he left on a free after his contract ran out. 

Lyanco to Atalanta for £2m. He was a backup that wanted to be a regular and I wasn't interested in that so sold him to the highest bidder. 

Next two were youths that didn't have a future at the club, bonus to get a fee for them as it's quite hard to sell these sorts of players.

Laurenzi is one of my best youth prospects so he goes out on loan one again, hopefully he can get 20+ games at Empoli in Serie A over the course of the season. 

Lastly, a sale that I didn't want to make but much like in the Andrea Belotti saga my hands were tied. He had just one year deal remaining on his contract and despite my best efforts over the last 18 months to get him to agree a new deal he wasn't interested surprisingly. Napoli came in with a pretty poor offer on the last day of the window and after a bit of back and forth we came to an agreement and off he went. Basically recouped what I paid for him in the first place. Disappointing to see him go really as I was hoping he was going to be my first choice RB for the next 8/10 years. 

Pre Season:

PS.thumb.PNG.512873f58cb6c9f9f1fbf86cab985afa.PNG

Well damn, first defeat in a pre season game in this save. I set up a tougher pre season this time around as I wanted to test my team against some teams on the continent ahead of our venture into Europe. Overall, a pretty good pre season, first game blip aside. 

Archived