New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

12 minutes ago, zep81 said:

Ah thanks again. Just one more thing; Looking at this one too https://www.littlewoods.com/zoostorm-stormforce-onyx-amd-ryzen-3-3200g-8gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-gaming-pc-black/1600403031.prd I can get it for £220 less than the price as I have credit with them. Will this be ok? I assume its W10 64 bit too as it doesn't say. I can't afford it all at once so why I'm going the finance route atm.

That's very similar in spec to the one I linked to, other than the storage options.  Should do the job nicely.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, andy_gza said:

Cheers for the reply mate.

I like the look of the refurb tbh, what about this one? Seems similar spec? Which is better between the 2 refurb? 

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/laptops/an-n515/

The one I linked has more RAM, and this one has a higher specced version of the graphics card.

If you're going to play other games aside from FM, then I'd definitely choose the one you've just linked due to the slightly better graphics card.

If FM is the only game you play, I'd probably go for the other one as the 2GB version of the graphics card will be just fine for FM's 3D at higher settings, but you'll get the advantage of having more RAM in the machine.

Hi all,

Currently looking to buy a new laptop as the one I have is nearing the end of it's tenure (not least due to the weight of the 15.6" screen).

I am keen to get a Macbook, be it either Air or Pro, although Air is a lot cheaper.

Just wondering if FM will run smoothly on it? Gonna be using it mainly for programming, web browsing, etc. and FM will be the only game I play on it.

MacBook Air 2020:

• Retina display with True Tone
  • 1.1GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • 8GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 512GB SSD storage¹

MacBook Pro 13" 2020:

• 2.0GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 512GB SSD storage¹
  • 13-inch Retina display with True Tone

There's ~€700-800 in the difference between both.

Would it be worth the extra or would the Pro run just as smooth?

Many thanks for the help :) 

1 hour ago, oche balboa said:

My current Laptop is a AMD A9-9410 Radeon E5, 5 computer cores and is 2.90GHZ with 8gb ram 

My question is can i get an upgrade for £600-800? 

Most definitely.  That CPU is pretty weak by today's standards and there's a lot of decent laptops in that price range.  What else will you use it for aside from FM?

8 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Most definitely.  That CPU is pretty weak by today's standards and there's a lot of decent laptops in that price range.  What else will you use it for aside from FM?

Internet mainly and thats it. I'm sure i will add a few other games in time 

Anything you can recommend? 

5 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Internet mainly and thats it. I'm sure i will add a few other games in time 

Anything you can recommend? 

If you're likely to play other games, then something like this will do a decent job.  Fast processor, decent amount of storage, reasonable graphics card:

https://www.box.co.uk/1L6E9EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-dk1005na_2958256.html

Hey guys, i'm buying a new laptop, and i'm doubting between the MacBook Air 2020 and the MacBook Pro 2020. I think that both will run the game fine, but i'm afraid of the noise that MacBook Air may make when running it. If i didn't play FM (that's the only game i will play), i would choose the Air, but i don't know what to do.

What would you do?
Some of you play on MacBook Air o Pro?

Thank you.

55 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Thank you, How many Leagues could that run?

That's not something anyone could accurately answer, as what is acceptable for processing speed to one person, may not be acceptable to the other.

This is however one of the higher end laptop CPU's currently available, and you will struggle to find a stronger processor in the price range.

Just as an example though, I have a laptop with a CPU somewhat weaker than this (Ryzen 5 2500U) that runs a game with 8 countries with all divisions (Belgium, England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Scotland and Spain) and personally found the speed to be decent.  This CPU would outperform mine with ease.

1 hour ago, saltoalex said:

Hey guys, i'm buying a new laptop, and i'm doubting between the MacBook Air 2020 and the MacBook Pro 2020. I think that both will run the game fine, but i'm afraid of the noise that MacBook Air may make when running it. If i didn't play FM (that's the only game i will play), i would choose the Air, but i don't know what to do.

What would you do?
Some of you play on MacBook Air o Pro?

Thank you.

Any particular reason you're buying a Mac? You'd buy a far superior PC laptop for the money. And I mean far superior.

hace 22 minutos, Smurf dijo:

Any particular reason you're buying a Mac? You'd buy a far superior PC laptop for the money. And I mean far superior.

Well, i bought my first Mac five years ago and i'm really happy about it. I know Apple laptops are really bad for gaming, but i haven't had problems. My idea is that i want to keep having a Mac, since i think it's the best according to what i use it for. Having said that, i need advice on if a Mac Book Air would be too much noisy and hot to run the game.

hace 11 horas, DCBeast dijo:

Hi all,

Currently looking to buy a new laptop as the one I have is nearing the end of it's tenure (not least due to the weight of the 15.6" screen).

I am keen to get a Macbook, be it either Air or Pro, although Air is a lot cheaper.

Just wondering if FM will run smoothly on it? Gonna be using it mainly for programming, web browsing, etc. and FM will be the only game I play on it.

MacBook Air 2020:

• 512GB SSD storage¹

MacBook Pro 13" 2020:

• 512GB SSD storage¹

i'm looking for the same answer mate, hope someone helps us.

1 hour ago, saltoalex said:

Well, i bought my first Mac five years ago and i'm really happy about it. I know Apple laptops are really bad for gaming, but i haven't had problems. My idea is that i want to keep having a Mac, since i think it's the best according to what i use it for. Having said that, i need advice on if a Mac Book Air would be too much noisy and hot to run the game.

Still haven't told me what you're using it for... 

Anyway - I have no idea, too pricey to even consider buying. 

I don't think Macbook Air is suited to FM.

Processor is 1.1ghz - and FM on a Mac requires 1.8ghz or more

You will definitely get more bang for your buck with a PC laptop - if you have nothing specific to a Mac then why bother?

13 hours ago, DCBeast said:

Hi all,

MacBook Air 2020:

• 512GB SSD storage¹

MacBook Pro 13" 2020:

• 512GB SSD storage¹

The pro 13inch would be better as least it meets min specs of the processor.

11 minutes ago, Smurf said:

You will definitely get more bang for your buck with a PC laptop - if you have nothing specific to a Mac then why bother?

Wow, just seen the price of the Macbook Pro.... £1,555.00.  And they don't even specify which i5 CPU it has.

I'm 100% with Smurf on this one.  You could get an equivalent spec Windows machine for less than half the price of this, and you could get a pretty much top of the range gaming laptop for the same price or less.

Example: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-predator-triton-300-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-2070-1-tb-ssd-10205998-pdt.html

10th Gen I7 processor, 16GB RAM, Geforce 2070 and a 1TB SSD.  And you still save yourself £55 over the Macbook Pro.

Sorry, but if you choose a Macbook Pro over that, you're a fool.

Edited by kevhamster

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Wow, just seen the price of the Macbook Pro.... £1,555.00.  And they don't even specify which i5 CPU it has.

I'm 100% with Smurf on this one.  You could get an equivalent spec Windows machine for less than half the price of this, and you could get a pretty much top of the range gaming laptop for the same price or less.

Crazy prices for such an underpowered machine.

does anyone know if my laptop will be able to run FM21 thats the only game i play to be honest. And dont wanna be buying a new laptop this close to christmas haha. Ive got a

Huawei Matebook D 15

AMD Ryzen 5 3500u Proscessor

Quad core 2.1 GHz / 3.7 GHz

RAM 8GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)

storage 256 GB SSD

Graphics Radeon Vega 8 

2 minutes ago, jarradccfc said:

does anyone know if my laptop will be able to run FM21 thats the only game i play to be honest. And dont wanna be buying a new laptop this close to christmas haha. Ive got a

Huawei Matebook D 15

AMD Ryzen 5 3500u Proscessor

Quad core 2.1 GHz / 3.7 GHz

RAM 8GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)

storage 256 GB SSD

Graphics Radeon Vega 8 

Yes it will.

19 minutes ago, jarradccfc said:

thanks it run FM20 really quick with loads of leagues even tho the game speed was half a star!

Game star ratings are flawed in the game have been ever since they were introduced, I don't know why SI don't bother removing them altogehter. 

If you clean up your computer/restart it etc. you might give a few extra stars but means nothing really.

19 minutes ago, jarradccfc said:

thanks it run FM20 really quick with loads of leagues even tho the game speed was half a star!

Even a really strong CPU will show a low star rating if you load a lot of leagues.  Although I mainly use a desktop now, my laptop has the previous generation of the Ryzen CPU you have and I've always found that to be perfectly acceptable in terms of processing speed.

I’m ordering a new pc as my laptop can no longer handle playing the game at a decent level. I have no idea about pc’s but had someone offer to help build one for me.

He needs to know what:

Any help will be much appreciated as I don’t have a clue about these things and Football man usps tracking

Edited by hilksbles73

40 minutes ago, hilksbles73 said:

I’m ordering a new pc as my laptop can no longer handle playing the game at a decent level. I have no idea about pc’s but had someone offer to help build one for me.

He needs to know what:

• RAM needed

• Graphics card type

• SSD Capacity

• Hard Drive

Any help will be much appreciated as I don’t have a clue about these things and Football manager will be the only game I’ll play on the PC.

To give a proper reply, we'd really need to know what your budget is. 

But:

RAM: 8GB minimum, 16GB ideally

Graphics Card: Any current dedicated graphics card will do. 

SSD: FM by itself is not a large game.  I believe the game is under 10GB in size, so even a 256GB drive would be acceptable.  But, if you're doing anything else on your PC, the more the merrier really. 

Edited by kevhamster

Just to add as well, FM will also be OK on integrated graphics in some cases. For example, the integrated graphics on the 3rd generation and above Ryzen chips should be fine on their own without need for a dedicated graphics card.

7 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Example: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-predator-triton-300-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-2070-1-tb-ssd-10205998-pdt.html

10th Gen I7 processor, 16GB RAM, Geforce 2070 and a 1TB SSD.  And you still save yourself £55 over the Macbook Pro.

Sorry, but if you choose a Macbook Pro over that, you're a fool.

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

Thanks for the suggestions and responses, they're very much appreciated.

I am keen on getting a 13", 13.3" for convenience.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops-desktops-accessory-deals/xps-13/spd/xps-13-7390-laptop/cnx73904

Do you think this would be value for money at €1,400?

And would you recommend it over a MacBook?

6 minutes ago, DCBeast said:

Thanks for the suggestions and responses, they're very much appreciated.

I am keen on getting a 13", 13.3" for convenience.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops-desktops-accessory-deals/xps-13/spd/xps-13-7390-laptop/cnx73904

Do you think this would be value for money at €1,400?

And would you recommend it over a MacBook?

What you pay for in laptops under 15 inch is portability.

I will need to take a look around to find a suitable 13 inch laptop that would handle. Typically they are not designed for processing power, which you will need for FM

So, as long as you recommend me not buying a MacBook, i've seen two laptops which i find that can be good to fulfill my desires. 

Dell Vostro 5391 - Specs (948€)

CPU. Intel Core i7-10510U 71.

GPU. Intel UHD Graphics 200.

Display. 13.3”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS.

HDD/SSD. 256GB SSD.

RAM. 8GB LPDDR3.

OS.

Battery. 45Wh, 4-cell.

Dimensions. 307.6 x 204.5 x 16.8 mm (12.11" x 8.05" x 0.66")

Huawei Matebook D14 (550€)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 2000/3000, 15W)

DISPLAY: 14.0”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS

STORAGE: 256GB SSD

RAM: 8GB DDR4, 2400 MHz

WEIGHT: 1.38 kg (3 lbs)

What do you think of these laptops? Another thing i'm a bit frightened about is the fact that Macbooks don't need an antivirus and the others yes.

Hey everyone! Currently looking to buy a new laptop for FM. I'd in therory like to be able to load a fair few leagues, maybe do a journeyman save, and have ok-ish processing time. My budget is up to $1500 which is i think around £1160.  

I've been looking at this one and want to know what you guys think, but also super open to better options.
https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-laptop-15-ek0026nr

Thanks so much in advance!

40 minutes ago, saltoalex said:

So, as long as you recommend me not buying a MacBook, i've seen two laptops which i find that can be good to fulfill my desires. 

Dell Vostro 5391 - Specs (948€)

CPU. Intel Core i7-10510U 71.

GPU. Intel UHD Graphics 200.

Display. 13.3”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS.

HDD/SSD. 256GB SSD.

RAM. 8GB LPDDR3.

OS.

Battery. 45Wh, 4-cell.

Dimensions. 307.6 x 204.5 x 16.8 mm (12.11" x 8.05" x 0.66")

Huawei Matebook D14 (550€)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 8 (Ryzen 2000/3000, 15W)

DISPLAY: 14.0”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS

STORAGE: 256GB SSD

RAM: 8GB DDR4, 2400 MHz

WEIGHT: 1.38 kg (3 lbs)

What do you think of these laptops? Another thing i'm a bit frightened about is the fact that Macbooks don't need an antivirus and the others yes.

The Dell is the stronger of the two in terms of CPU according to this benchmarking site: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10510U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3500U/m891469vsm760067.

So, you'll get faster processing with the Dell, but the Huawei will offer better performance of the 3D match engine as the integrated graphics is stronger.

I can't honestly say the Dell is worth an extra 400€ over the Huawei due to the specs alone, but I guess as Smurf alluded to earlier you're paying a premium for the extra portability.

In terms of virus protection, the main thing is just being careful not to visit dodgy sites!  Windows Defender is actually a fine anti-virus solution and if you pair it with the free version of Malwarebytes and ensure you allow them to scan regularly you'll be fine.  And of course, I may be mistaken as I'm not overly knowledgeable on Apple type stuff as I personally don't use any of their products but I honestly thought these days the concept of there being no viruses on Mac was a myth.

36 minutes ago, hammersnc said:

Hey everyone! Currently looking to buy a new laptop for FM. I'd in therory like to be able to load a fair few leagues, maybe do a journeyman save, and have ok-ish processing time. My budget is up to $1500 which is i think around £1160.  

I've been looking at this one and want to know what you guys think, but also super open to better options.

As I'm not in the US, I can't fairly comment on how good value it represents compared to other products on sale in the US.  

However, specs wise that's an excellent laptop.  Excellent CPU and graphics card.

If anything though, if FM is the only game you play then a GeForce 2060 is kind of overkill.  This one offers the same specs, albeit the previous gen version of the 60 series graphics card and is $100 less (and even this graphics card is overkill if purely for FM): https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-laptop-15t-dh100-17h50av-1 

9 hours ago, hammersnc said:

https://www.box.co.uk/1S0W8EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-17-cd1015na_2958262.html

literally bought this two days ago thanks to the help of the guys on here an it’s absolutely stupendous. As someone who has always played fm full fat, as in loads of leagues, players, logos, kits, face packs etc I’d become saddened as with the last 3 fm’s I’ve had to tone down my experience and size game purely because my old Asus was getting left behind technically. It take forever  just to load up a player profile let alone process a day. 

now I expect my new laptop to impress me purely because my old machine was like something from the dark ages. However 16gb ram, i7 has made a world of difference for someone like me. 

back playing fm with a smile on my face. Heck even the bigger screens a god send as I can actually use decent skins now. Honestly so slick an sleek. 

plus ultimately I can do stuff on my laptop non fm related now that I couldn’t previously on my basic ASUS. Give this a look seriously.  

in your budget frame too. 👍👌

Until you've experienced the other side, you wouldn't know!

The biggest change for me was when I went from a laptop with a 1366x768 display to one with 1920x1080.  The amount of extra stuff you see on screen on a higher resolution can be a huge help.

54 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Until you've experienced the other side, you wouldn't know!

The biggest change for me was when I went from a laptop with a 1366x768 display to one with 1920x1080.  The amount of extra stuff you see on screen on a higher resolution can be a huge help.

Totally! So refreshed. With work and family life I don't get much time to FM these days but when I do my enjoyment was being drained as it just didn't have all the bells and whistles I always use to play with. I didn't even think screen size would make much difference but wow! amazing!

8 minutes ago, Mattias333 said:

Totally! So refreshed. With work and family life I don't get much time to FM these days but when I do my enjoyment was being drained as it just didn't have all the bells and whistles I always use to play with. I didn't even think screen size would make much difference but wow! amazing!

You'll have a good time with that laptop you bought.  It should also be able to handle pretty much any other game you want to throw at it too, so enjoy!

28 minutes ago, Mattias333 said:

Do yourself a favour and look after it. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Take-Good-Care-of-Your-Laptop-Computer

41 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

You'll have a good time with that laptop you bought.  It should also be able to handle pretty much any other game you want to throw at it too, so enjoy!

Totally I can now actually do half the stuff I've always wanted to do but havent been able to (including other games other than fm lol)

21 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Do yourself a favour and look after it. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Take-Good-Care-of-Your-Laptop-Computer

Absolutely. Few of the points in that wikihow article ive fallen foul of in the past!

On 19/10/2020 at 22:49, zep81 said:

Ah thanks again. Just one more thing; Looking at this one too https://www.littlewoods.com/zoostorm-stormforce-onyx-amd-ryzen-3-3200g-8gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-gaming-pc-black/1600403031.prd I can get it for £220 less than the price as I have credit with them. Will this be ok? I assume its W10 64 bit too as it doesn't say. I can't afford it all at once so why I'm going the finance route atm.

Dragging up an older post but had to reply to this one when I noticed you say you'll have to get it on finance.

Looking at the specs of that computer you could get the parts, or slightly better ones, individually for £300 max ;

Asus A320 motherboard, 350w PSU, 1 TB barracuda HDD, Coolermaster Q300L case and fan + 8GB Vengeance 3200Mhz (better than the 2666Mhz the pre-made comes with) = £195 from BOX. 0% interest for 4 months with Paypal Credit

Ryzen 3 3200 g = £81 from Currys or Amazon.

Windows = Free from Microsoft.

If building a computer isn't your thing then that's fine, but I hate to see 'budget' looking pre-mades like this that cost far more than the sum of their parts. You could have a better computer for less than half the price Littlewoods are selling that one for PLUS you'd still have the £220 credit leftover to spend on something else.

Hi all

I've finally decided that my mid-2012 MacBook Pro has seen better days, so I'm looking for a new (Windows) laptop to enjoy FM21 on. I play 3D and have 3 or 4 leagues loaded up, so I have the option to manage in France or Spain if I want to. I was looking at this laptop on Box for a while when it was priced at £699 but it recently went up to £799, which is above my ideal price range. I'd like to stay around £700 if possible. Can anyone recommend a similar laptop for closer to £700? Or should I push the boat out for that HP one?

Also, and this may be a stupid question... If I pre-order FM21 on Steam via my MacBook, will there be any issue if I've switched to a Windows laptop by the time the game comes out?

Thanks everyone!

33 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Really? 

I read most of it. Which parts? 

I will make sure to read fully in future.

My old Asus needed a new screen through me handling it poorly. Good read that article though. Self explanitory things but important to remember.

1 hour ago, matt_forest said:

Dragging up an older post but had to reply to this one when I noticed you say you'll have to get it on finance.

Looking at the specs of that computer you could get the parts, or slightly better ones, individually for £300 max ;

Asus A320 motherboard, 350w PSU, 1 TB barracuda HDD, Coolermaster Q300L case and fan + 8GB Vengeance 3200Mhz (better than the 2666Mhz the pre-made comes with) = £195 from BOX. 0% interest for 4 months with Paypal Credit

If building a computer isn't your thing then that's fine, but I hate to see 'budget' looking pre-mades like this that cost far more than the sum of their parts. You could have a better computer for less than half the price Littlewoods are selling that one for PLUS you'd still have the £220 credit leftover to spend on something else.

Hey, thanks for the reply mate. Yeah, unfortunately building computers is too far out my reach. I used to know someone who could, but don't anymore. I do appreciate that it's a far more sensible and cheaper option, i'm just not in a position to do it atm.

I do appreciate your advice mate. Much appreciated.

Edited by zep81

1 hour ago, matt_forest said:

Could i ask, a computer i linked - 

https://bit.ly/3kpILGA

as i only be using it for FM and for browsing the net mainly, would it do a good job at running some FM at a decent level? Thank you.

2 minutes ago, zep81 said:

as i only be using it for FM and for browsing the net mainly, would it do a good job at running some FM at a decent level? Thank you.

I think that should be okay but not sure if it's a massive improvement over the other one you'd linked to. I think both would play FM to a decent standard depending on the number of leagues. For just general use both would be more than good enough.- I built my brother a cheap computer with a Ryzen 3 3200g and it's worked fine for them, never used a 3400g so I can't say if it's worth the £50 extra. Comparing them I'd say maybe not.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-3200G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3400G/3497vs3498

Does the PC have to come from Littlewoods? I've seen a similarly spec'd one here that is cheaper with an SSD and faster RAM https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Gauntlet-Mini_2962430.html?config=2335908,2472017,2647984,2725846,2920628

12 minutes ago, matt_forest said:

I think that should be okay but not sure if it's a massive improvement over the other one you'd linked to. I think both would play FM to a decent standard depending on the number of leagues. For just general use both would be more than good enough.- I built my brother a cheap computer with a Ryzen 3 3200g and it's worked fine for them, never used a 3400g so I can't say if it's worth the £50 extra. Comparing them I'd say maybe not.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-3200G-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3400G/3497vs3498

Does the PC have to come from Littlewoods? I've seen a similarly spec'd one here that is cheaper with an SSD and faster RAM https://www.box.co.uk/Cube-Gauntlet-Mini_2962430.html?config=2335908,2472017,2647984,2725846,2920628

Ah thanks again for the help mate. Yeah, i'll more than likely go with littlewoods as i can do a buy now pay later and pay it over the year like. Just makes it easier for me atm. Considering my current setup is an Intel N3700 1.6HZ and 8GB ram, i think most would be an upgrade lol.

51 minutes ago, zep81 said:

That seems massively overpriced to me.  

Edit: I was right. You can get the same spec more or less from PC Specialist for under £450

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/amd-am4-home-office/8wH577rNz2/

Edited by kevhamster

18 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

That seems massively overpriced to me.  

Edit: I was right. You can get the same spec more or less from PC Specialist for under £450

https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/amd-am4-home-office/8wH577rNz2/

Thanks for that mate. As I'll likely be getting £220 off that littlewoods one, so effectively it'll come to around £400. Would you say it'll be a decent PC to run FM on? As I say, it'll be mainly used for FM and general use/browsing like. Thanks again.