New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Smyth1997 said:

Can anyone recommend a decent computer for £600 or less I will be playing in 2d classic so not to bothered about 3D thank you.

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

This is a refurb and would be good https://www.box.co.uk/(Grade-A)-HP-Pavilion-Power-15-cb004na_2892933.html

15 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

The first one, every time. It might not have as much RAM, but the better graphics card will reduce any potential bottlenecks that could slow the system down, and will run any games better, including FM, than the Intel UHD Graphics chip (not a dedicated graphics card) in the second PC.

Thanks!! :)

Afternoon lads! Been a year or two since i was last on the forum but after some problems with emails etc i've had to make a new account to ask this!

I'm looking for a desktop PC that can handle a couple of things. Firstly i'm looking for something that can handle Football manager and recording software at the same time. Last time i tried to record my Football Manager sessions with 'OBS' the footage came out really choppy and laggy because it seems my laptop can't handle it (On a side note; if someone more technical than myself has an explanation as to why a laptop can't handle both Football Manager and recording at the same time, that would be really helpful!)

It also needs to be able to run my Elgato software whilst i'm recording my xbox, as well ad being able to run Sony Vegas editing software to edit videos afterwards. Other than that it would be used for browsing the internet and just generally doing uni work which obviously doesn't require anything major. 

Budget wise i have about £900-1000 for the PC (will sort the monitors etc out afterwards) and i'm open to pretty much anything as long as it can be justified for its price.

The only thing i've seen so far is this, but i've spent a few days researching computer parts and i'm more confused than when i started so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks lads! 

https://store.hp.com/ukStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=9FB99EA&opt=ABU&sel=DTP

12 hours ago, tn50 said:

Afternoon lads! Been a year or two since i was last on the forum but after some problems with emails etc i've had to make a new account to ask this!

I'm looking for a desktop PC that can handle a couple of things. Firstly i'm looking for something that can handle Football manager and recording software at the same time. Last time i tried to record my Football Manager sessions with 'OBS' the footage came out really choppy and laggy because it seems my laptop can't handle it (On a side note; if someone more technical than myself has an explanation as to why a laptop can't handle both Football Manager and recording at the same time, that would be really helpful!)

It also needs to be able to run my Elgato software whilst i'm recording my xbox, as well ad being able to run Sony Vegas editing software to edit videos afterwards. Other than that it would be used for browsing the internet and just generally doing uni work which obviously doesn't require anything major. 

Budget wise i have about £900-1000 for the PC (will sort the monitors etc out afterwards) and i'm open to pretty much anything as long as it can be justified for its price.

The only thing i've seen so far is this, but i've spent a few days researching computer parts and i'm more confused than when i started so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks lads! 

For the workloads you're suggesting you want more CPU threads if you possibly can. This processor has 6 cores and no hyperthreading, so only 6 threads. AMD Ryzen processors offer many more threads for your money. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this company (no personal experience), here's an example spec you might want to consider: https://www.box.co.uk/create-your-own-custom-pc?s=2716646,2647976,2657467,1963773,2847385,2417425,2869518

This processor (Ryzen 7 3700X) has 8 cores and AMD's version of hyperthreading, so 16 threads. From what EdL says, in addition to running your video editing more quickly, you should be able to load up more leagues in FM.

Edited by Gangor

Hi all knowledgeable folk -

I can get this for around the £770 mark

Lenovo IdeaPad L340 17

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/81LLCTO1WWENGB1/customize?guid=26efef34-9720-404e-b86f-689c6437cf9a&options_11=

Processor Intel Core i7-9750H Processor (2.60GHz, up to 4.50GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache)

Windows 10 Home 64

16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM

1TB SSD

17.3 FHD display

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q 4GB GDDR5 128bit

FM is the only intensive thing it will have to do. I'd love to have around 10 leagues running and some pretty high level match graphics but I understand that I'm very much around the lower-mid budget for a gaming laptop so I'm happy to lower my expectations according to the expertise out there.

Does that seem a good deal or am I missing something? Is there anything better out there for £800 at the absolute max?

Many thanks for donating your expertise and time in these deeply weird times of ours

Edited by mikelfc8

22 hours ago, tn50 said:

10 hours ago, Gangor said:

For the workloads you're suggesting you want more CPU threads if you possibly can. This processor has 6 cores and no hyperthreading, so only 6 threads. AMD Ryzen processors offer many more threads for your money. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend this company (no personal experience), here's an example spec you might want to consider: https://www.box.co.uk/create-your-own-custom-pc?s=2716646,2647976,2657467,1963773,2847385,2417425,2869518

This processor (Ryzen 7 3700X) has 8 cores and AMD's version of hyperthreading, so 16 threads. From what EdL says, in addition to running your video editing more quickly, you should be able to load up more leagues in FM.

I can vouch for this company i've bought laptops and tablets from them and their sister company LaptopsDirect and I imagine Smurf will too as he recommends them often.  Gangor is right, for the workload you are looking to do Ryzen may well be your best bet.

Honestly though I would build your own.  When I built my first build I didn't have a clue I just followed videos on youtube and it was surprisingly easy and rewarding.  I'll put it this way, you're paying a large amount of money and you can get way more for your money by spending a day or 2 researching how to build one

The best place to ask is here https://www.reddit.com/r/buildmeapc/ they really know their stuff

Basically just ask the same you've asked here

56 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

I can vouch for this company i've bought laptops and tablets from them and their sister company LaptopsDirect and I imagine Smurf will too as he recommends them often.  Gangor is right, for the workload you are looking to do Ryzen may well be your best bet.

Honestly though I would build your own.  When I built my first build I didn't have a clue I just followed videos on youtube and it was surprisingly easy and rewarding.  I'll put it this way, you're paying a large amount of money and you can get way more for your money by spending a day or 2 researching how to build one

The best place to ask is here https://www.reddit.com/r/buildmeapc/ they really know their stuff

Basically just ask the same you've asked here

The main advantage with having an SI (like BOX) build your PC, apart from the obvious that you don't have to do it yourself, is that then the PC is covered by a warranty in its entirety. If something goes wrong you return the whole box and they fix it - you don't need to diagnose the issue, remove the troublesome part and then reinstall it once it's been replaced. Of course there is a cost saving to be had in building it yourself, so you'd have to weigh the different sides.

2 hours ago, mikelfc8 said:

Hi all knowledgeable folk -

I can get this for around the £770 mark

Lenovo IdeaPad L340 17

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/81LLCTO1WWENGB1/customize?guid=26efef34-9720-404e-b86f-689c6437cf9a&options_11=

Processor Intel Core i7-9750H Processor (2.60GHz, up to 4.50GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12MB Cache)

Windows 10 Home 64

16GB DDR4 2400MHz SoDIMM

1TB SSD

17.3 FHD display

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Max-Q 4GB GDDR5 128bit

FM is the only intensive thing it will have to do. I'd love to have around 10 leagues running and some pretty high level match graphics but I understand that I'm very much around the lower-mid budget for a gaming laptop so I'm happy to lower my expectations according to the expertise out there.

Does that seem a good deal or am I missing something? Is there anything better out there for £800 at the absolute max?

Many thanks for donating your expertise and time in these deeply weird times of ours

This is quite an appropriate spec for FM and the price seems fine. The only concern for me at this price point would be where have they compromised? It would be worth checking out a couple of reviews (google the model number) to check it's not a deal breaker for you.

2 hours ago, striker2fall said:

2 hours ago, striker2fall said:

Neither is overkill, but I have to say mikelfc8 has found a more powerful system which would be better balanced for FM than either of these. Incidentally, AMD are in the process of launching a new range of Ryzen mobile processors which are looking very much better than both the previous generation and what Intel can offer at the moment, so it might be worth waiting a month and checking out some of those. 

13 hours ago, Gangor said:

This is quite an appropriate spec for FM and the price seems fine. The only concern for me at this price point would be where have they compromised? It would be worth checking out a couple of reviews (google the model number) to check it's not a deal breaker for you.

Great thanks. That is good advice indeed. At first glance there appear to be some compromises in the power unit. I'll continue to delve.

17 hours ago, Gangor said:

4 hours ago, mikelfc8 said:

Great thanks. That is good advice indeed. At first glance there appear to be some compromises in the power unit. I'll continue to delve.

Strongly recommend reading the opening post rather than googling the processor.

There's a link to a list of processors that are ranked - higher up the rank the better, so to speak.

14 hours ago, Gangor said:

Neither is overkill, but I have to say mikelfc8 has found a more powerful system which would be better balanced for FM than either of these. Incidentally, AMD are in the process of launching a new range of Ryzen mobile processors which are looking very much better than both the previous generation and what Intel can offer at the moment, so it might be worth waiting a month and checking out some of those. 

i really need one in the next week or less because the kids cant do their homework while locked down because it keeps crashing, 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

There's a link to a list of processors that are ranked - higher up the rank the better, so to speak.

Much appreciated Smurf, but rest assured, I used the link in the opening post to find it in the first place.

Hey, looking to get a new laptop/macbook for work. I tend to play a bit of FM on my commute, and have had a Macbook Pro (2015 Retina model) which has basic specs and runs it okay, I don't tend to run massive databases or leagues, mainly just UK.

I'm considering either grabbing the new Mac, or a Zenbook. Would anyone be able to advise on if either of them would be more suitable than the £1500 Mac Pro?

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbook-13-ux334flc-a3228t-laptop-with-screenpad-2-0-intel-core-i5-processor-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-13-3-inch-full-hd-royal-blue/p4855187

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenBook-i7-8565U-Processor-Windows/dp/B07XV5Y68W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=asus&qid=1586266241&sr=8-1

Thanks!

• SI Staff
7 hours ago, zbidram said:

Hi guys,

Could you recomend me which best database to use for a career mode according to my laptop. Laptop specs attached. 

Thanks.

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

I'd never heard of that processor, so you learn something new - a re-branded AMD apparently, it is unfortunately quite a weak processor, I'd say small or medium db, with a few leagues at max, but really it is up to you what you consider to be acceptably fast.

My budget is around the £750 mark.

Ideally want to run a game with large database and 5+ playable leagues. Would also like to utilise the 3D viewing...

don’t really know where to start, shall I lower my expectation for my budget?

if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction that would be great. 

thanks in advance

6 hours ago, ctango said:

My budget is around the £750 mark.

Ideally want to run a game with large database and 5+ playable leagues. Would also like to utilise the 3D viewing...

don’t really know where to start, shall I lower my expectation for my budget?

if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction that would be great. 

thanks in advance

https://www.box.co.uk/30026175-Medion-Erazer-P6605_2496888.html

Hi guys, 

Hoping for any recommendations for a laptop under £400 (max) - for a family friend looking to get a laptop for his birthday. 

Found this HP laptop today at £299 -  i3 7020U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Integrated 620 graphics which I think is a really good price but a bit concerned it will struggle to handle FM and other titles he may want to play  - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/hp-14-14-cf0014na-laptop/8vhrjt269bkt?irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7794_1246483&tduid=(ir__6h69gn6as0kftlhekk0sohz3xm2xnwfjuhjj1m2f00)(7794)(1246483)((a031bba333903782775eb69d897777e3)(266696)(1018132)(1942697657)())(a031bba333903782775eb69d897777e3)&irclickid=_6h69gn6as0kftlhekk0sohz3xm2xnwfjuhjj1m2f00&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

The other options which I think are good are:

Acer Aspire 3 £349 Out of stock currently (Currys) - Ryzen 3200U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, believe it's Ryzen 3 Integrated Graphics https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-a315-42-15-6-amd-ryzen-3-laptop-128-gb-ssd-black-10193932-pdt.html

Asus Vivobook 15 £399 Out of stock currently (Argos) - Intel i5 8265U, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Integrated 620 graphics. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9195057

Sadly both of these are out of stock, which I'm hoping it just temporary.

If anyone has any thoughts on these or if they have found any other details below £400 I'd love to know. Thanks!

On 07/04/2020 at 11:37, Smurf said:

I mean google the model number of the laptop. 

6 hours ago, Richardlfc said:

Hi guys, 

Hoping for any recommendations for a laptop under £400 (max) - for a family friend looking to get a laptop for his birthday. 

Found this HP laptop today at £299 -  i3 7020U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Integrated 620 graphics which I think is a really good price but a bit concerned it will struggle to handle FM and other titles he may want to play  - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/hp-14-14-cf0014na-laptop/8vhrjt269bkt?irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7794_1246483&tduid=(ir__6h69gn6as0kftlhekk0sohz3xm2xnwfjuhjj1m2f00)(7794)(1246483)((a031bba333903782775eb69d897777e3)(266696)(1018132)(1942697657)())(a031bba333903782775eb69d897777e3)&irclickid=_6h69gn6as0kftlhekk0sohz3xm2xnwfjuhjj1m2f00&activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

The other options which I think are good are:

Acer Aspire 3 £349 Out of stock currently (Currys) - Ryzen 3200U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, believe it's Ryzen 3 Integrated Graphics https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-3-a315-42-15-6-amd-ryzen-3-laptop-128-gb-ssd-black-10193932-pdt.html

Asus Vivobook 15 £399 Out of stock currently (Argos) - Intel i5 8265U, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Integrated 620 graphics. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9195057

Sadly both of these are out of stock, which I'm hoping it just temporary.

If anyone has any thoughts on these or if they have found any other details below £400 I'd love to know. Thanks!

The Vivobook sounds like good value. If you can get an extra 4gb SO-DIMM stick of memory (cheap, check the amazon warehouse deals because people return it all the time) that would make a massive difference

Hi all,

Just got back into FM following a bit of a break.

I’m in the UK and want to get a new laptop which is suited for FM and the usual web browsing/basic bit of work on Microsoft Office.

Only issue is I only have a budget of around £500. Would anyone have any ideas for a good laptop for it.

Was looking at something like this one - but having read some reviews it doesn’t bode well for FM20.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3068984

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 hours ago, Gangor said:

The Vivobook sounds like good value. If you can get an extra 4gb SO-DIMM stick of memory (cheap, check the amazon warehouse deals because people return it all the time) that would make a massive difference

Yeah it does! Was thinking that as looks like 4GB is about £20-25. Not seeing many good deals though and all of the ones I quoted are out of stock (including the HP) - Guessing this is due to the retail situation.

On 13/11/2018 at 10:43, forameuss said:

Not strictly true, although in most cases it is.  Some of the AMD processors - particularly the Ryzen 5 2400G - have ridiculously good integrated graphics and will give you decent performance without needing to shell out for a dedicated.  Runs FM on full settings, and can run a lot of more graphics intensive games at close to full details.  Would highly recommend it if you're either building, or can get a system with one included.

Hopefully it means more of those kinds of chips come out to give a cheaper option for those that don't want to shell out hundreds of pounds on a card with 8 fans, 4 wheels, tea-making facilities and 4 million gaudy LEDs

I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600x processor with 16GB RAM, and from the recent free play FM20 seems to run beautifully. However, my GeForce GT 710 graphics card is horrible and the 3D visuals are terrible. I'm really not sure what an FM-capable graphics card will cost or how I can be sure it's compatible with my system. Is there a good bargain out there that I can take a look at?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, EVH5150 said:

I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600x processor with 16GB RAM, and from the recent free play FM20 seems to run beautifully. However, my GeForce GT 710 graphics card is horrible and the 3D visuals are terrible. I'm really not sure what an FM-capable graphics card will cost or how I can be sure it's compatible with my system. Is there a good bargain out there that I can take a look at?

Thanks!

I used to have a GTX 750Ti which did pretty well. They can be had pretty cheap these days. The new equivalent would be a GTX 1650 (or 1650 Super which might be better value if you sometimes play more graphically demanding games too) which can be had from between £130 and £160 or so. From AMD you can get the 5500XT but that's a bit more expensive or the RX 580 which is older and less efficient but cheap.

18 hours ago, colmun said:

Hi all,

Just got back into FM following a bit of a break.

I’m in the UK and want to get a new laptop which is suited for FM and the usual web browsing/basic bit of work on Microsoft Office.

Only issue is I only have a budget of around £500. Would anyone have any ideas for a good laptop for it.

Was looking at something like this one - but having read some reviews it doesn’t bode well for FM20.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3068984

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That would be pretty decent. I have a similar spec laptop (albeit the Intel equivalent) and it runs FM ok so long as you don't load up too many leagues. Lenovo is a well regarded brand too. The only thing to bear in mind with AMD processors in this generation (though apparently not so much in the 4000 series which is coming out now) is it isn't as efficient as Intel so the battery won't last as long. Of course if you're mostly going to be plugged in that won't matter too much. 

Hi all, 

I’ve just started my first ever journeyman save on fm20 and it’s made me think my once pretty good laptop is now a little past it. 

I’ve had it a number of years now but with 8 (smaller) leagues active it’s struggling for speed. I use the 3D mode which might not be helping either.

I have an HP-15 with an AMD A8-4555M - Radeon(tm) 1.60GHz.

Is this now considered outdated? If so I’d really appreciate some advice on  a suitable alternative. Struggling to cope without real football lol.

Many thanks

2 hours ago, dom_hel said:

Hi all, 

I’ve just started my first ever journeyman save on fm20 and it’s made me think my once pretty good laptop is now a little past it. 

I’ve had it a number of years now but with 8 (smaller) leagues active it’s struggling for speed. I use the 3D mode which might not be helping either.

I have an HP-15 with an AMD A8-4555M - Radeon(tm) 1.60GHz.

Is this now considered outdated? If so I’d really appreciate some advice on  a suitable alternative. Struggling to cope without real football lol.

Many thanks

Hi dom_hel, you can just about find laptops with these chips at retail still, but they're usually very old stock. If you were happy with the AMD processor, they have a new range coming out shortly (Ryzen 4000) which look promising.

6 hours ago, Gangor said:

Hi dom_hel, you can just about find laptops with these chips at retail still, but they're usually very old stock. If you were happy with the AMD processor, they have a new range coming out shortly (Ryzen 4000) which look promising.

Thanks Gangor, I actually don’t mind on the processor nor if I’m honest do I understand the difference/benefits between Intel and AMD.

For what I’m looking for, 10ish leagues on a large database do you think it’s possible to get something suitable for under £800? 

1 hour ago, dom_hel said:

Thanks Gangor, I actually don’t mind on the processor nor if I’m honest do I understand the difference/benefits between Intel and AMD.

For what I’m looking for, 10ish leagues on a large database do you think it’s possible to get something suitable for under £800? 

https://www.box.co.uk/NH.Q59EK.01H-Acer-Nitro-5_2873716.html

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

How good is this laptop for fm20?I was going to wait to get a dell g3 for £800 but doesnt look much difference for £200,or am i wrong.or is it worth spending extra  to get the nitro 5 or the dell .I am a lap top novice so any advice is helpful 

Edited by Weasek
Wrong spelling

39 minutes ago, Weasek said:

Screenshot_20200410-165226_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a40f13bf0617d6ef819055552dfc80b3.jpgThis lap top is £630 certified new from dell.cheaper than the new dell g3 by nearly £200.is it worth the cash&a good lap top for fm?thank you 

This is the model from 2 years ago, but the performance should still be pretty good. Note the 'H' processor - that means it uses a higher amount of power than a 'U' processor so is faster but drains the battery more quickly and is hotter (so needs a bigger fan). The graphics chip is more than adequate for FM. Personally I'd choose this one over the one in the link from Smurf that you quoted as the processor is a bit better and so is the graphics.

10 minutes ago, Gangor said:

This is the model from 2 years ago, but the performance should still be pretty good. Note the 'H' processor - that means it uses a higher amount of power than a 'U' processor so is faster but drains the battery more quickly and is hotter (so needs a bigger fan). The graphics chip is more than adequate for FM. Personally I'd choose this one over the one in the link from Smurf that you quoted as the processor is a bit better and so is the graphics.

Thank you,its really hard choosing one!!cant spend to much as got a little girl&one on the way.would I be better getting the older dell at £630 than a newer one of same model at £800?cheers 

5 hours ago, Weasek said:

Thank you,its really hard choosing one!!cant spend to much as got a little girl&one on the way.would I be better getting the older dell at £630 than a newer one of same model at £800?cheers 

Yes. Intel's processors have made precious little improvement in the last couple of years and that GPU is still current.

Edited by Gangor