New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

10 minutes ago, Transk53 said:

In this case I would say no. It is sharing a portion of the system ram. In itself not a huge issue, but I veer away from that because systems can slow down. Best to keep graphics with its own dedicated memory. Out of the two the first one is the best in this case.

What do you mean with ”sharing a portion of the system ram” and how do you  come to that conclusion?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Transk53 said:

Hey @Smurf

After many many months of saving, I have reached a budget of two grand. Can I just ask what you would spec?

Now a 4K screen desirable, but a 120 – 144Hrz  with G-Sync would be good enough at native 1920 x 1080 res on a 17’3 screen.

Coffee Lake is a must for Intel, but not necessarily a i7 (if being used in laptops at the moment)
1 – 2 TB7200rpm  drive and a 250GB SSD.
32GB of paired sticks of DRAM.

Not sure if that will cause memory bleeding though, but want to go above 16, although not totally necessarily. What do you reckon? I have been looking at the Ryzen 2, but only a handful of machines if that available.

This machine looks really nice, but of course as usual a sacrifice has been made. In this case I think with the 16GB of ram.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-nvidia-gtx-1070-8gb-gddr5-17.3-fhd-144hz-g-sync-i7-8750h-gaming-laptop-gl703gs-e5011t-lt-254-as.html

I really don't like it when people with knowledge try and test me... I'm not here to be tested or quizzed or questioned. I'm here to help people with little knowledge not to waste the budget they have set aside.

You clearly know your stuff and begs the question why you need my input.

1 hour ago, Ames said:

Thanks. I have purchased from them before and it has worked well. I guess this one is the better option despite a slightly older chip:

http://www.elgreen.se/sv/rekonditionerade-asus/asus-rog-strix-gl502vm-fy022t.html

I'd go with the other one. You're better off with a better processor than graphic card.

Unless you plan on playing other games...

17 minutes ago, Ames said:

What do you mean with ”sharing a portion of the system ram” and how do you  come to that conclusion?

S Sorry I read that completely wrong. Trying to talk on too many forums lol. Some older laptops used to do that.

7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I really don't like it when people with knowledge try and test me... I'm not here to be tested or quizzed or questioned. I'm here to help people with little knowledge not to waste the budget they have set aside.

You clearly know your stuff and begs the question why you need my input.

No that wasn’t my intent at all. Didn’t mean to cause offence. Just can’t seem to make my mind up over bigger card and less DRAM, or more of that and 1060. Haven’t played FM for a long time so that is why I am asking.

Looking to buy a gaming pc for fm 2018 to play all top league's and all England's is this good enough or can anyone recommend a good one thanks

Game without limits with the breathtakingly powerful Cyberpower Revolution Xtreme Gaming PC. Overclocked, water cooled CPU The Revolution Xtreme is powered by an overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-4820K. Overclocking turns the volume up to 11 on an already blisteringly fast quad-core chip, allowing it to run at a mind-blowingly rapid 4.5 GHz. Capable of handling games and software with effortless speed and efficiency, it's the ultimate choice for any serious gamer. Increasing the clock speed to such impressive levels requires significant cooling and, befitting of a rig rammed full of the latest and most impressive PC technology, the Revolution Xtreme features CPU liquid cooling. Designed to specifically maintain optimal running temperatures of the i7-4820K, the liquid-cooling set-up ensures viscously fast yet reliable computing no matter the process or game. Ready for the future Multitasking and demanding applications are dealt with by a huge 16 GB of RAM that provides a smooth, instant computing experience across the board. While 8 GB is plenty for gaming, you can relax in the knowledge that the combination of highly-strung processor and 16 GB of RAM won't need upgrading for the foreseeable future. High-end GPU The Revolution Xtreme is ready for gaming straight out of the box thanks to a high-end NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card. Featuring 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 RAM, 1536 CUDA cores, NVIDIA PhysX and new GPU Boost technology, it's ready for even the most demanding PC blockbusters. It also features the case and cooling from NVIDIA's flagship GPU, the Titan, for effective and silent running along with an imposing finish to match the chassis' cool blue LEDs and water cooling cables.  Serious storage File storage is provided by an ample 1 TB HDD and provides plenty of room for games, media, files and anything else you need. Supporting the HDD is a handy 128 GB SSD. Perfect for installing the OS, regularly used games or favourite programs, it ensures the fastest possible boot up and files access, giving you the instant computing experience you need. Gaming with Windows Windows 8.1 is the perfect OS for serious gaming. Pared back and less demanding on resources than previous editions, it lets the components work on what's important. The start screen now features Live Tiles, handy windows into your favourite programs and games that deliver important info and updates straight to your desktop ¿ perfect for chatting or keeping up to date with stats on the fly. Convenient connections Competing against friends online is fast and reliable courtesy of the Gigabit Ethernet port while backing up data is faster than ever with the fourteen USB ports, four of which are high performance USB 3.0. How you connect to your monitor is completely up to you as the Revolution Xtreme features HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort connections for highly detailed, easy to manage multi-monitor set-ups. Experience the power and performance of the high-end Cyberpower Revolution Xtreme Gaming PC. 

13 hours ago, Transk53 said:

No that wasn’t my intent at all. Didn’t mean to cause offence. Just can’t seem to make my mind up over bigger card and less DRAM, or more of that and 1060. Haven’t played FM for a long time so that is why I am asking.

Well that's ok then - as it's happened on here before. 

Just to reiterate, I quite enjoy helping people find a better system within their budgets, as I made that exact mistake myself about 10 years ago, and swore it would never happen again. 

It's a lot of money for FM users and my main goal is to support those users on a budget and help them find something better, as a lot of people don't understand the jargon and model numbering parts system.

3 hours ago, Lowe said:

Looking to buy a gaming pc for fm 2018 to play all top league's and all England's is this good enough or can anyone recommend a good one thanks

Game without limits with the breathtakingly powerful Cyberpower Revolution Xtreme Gaming PC. Overclocked, water cooled CPU The Revolution Xtreme is powered by an overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-4820K. Overclocking turns the volume up to 11 on an already blisteringly fast quad-core chip, allowing it to run at a mind-blowingly rapid 4.5 GHz. Capable of handling games and software with effortless speed and efficiency, it's the ultimate choice for any serious gamer. Increasing the clock speed to such impressive levels requires significant cooling and, befitting of a rig rammed full of the latest and most impressive PC technology, the Revolution Xtreme features CPU liquid cooling. Designed to specifically maintain optimal running temperatures of the i7-4820K, the liquid-cooling set-up ensures viscously fast yet reliable computing no matter the process or game. Ready for the future Multitasking and demanding applications are dealt with by a huge 16 GB of RAM that provides a smooth, instant computing experience across the board. While 8 GB is plenty for gaming, you can relax in the knowledge that the combination of highly-strung processor and 16 GB of RAM won't need upgrading for the foreseeable future. High-end GPU The Revolution Xtreme is ready for gaming straight out of the box thanks to a high-end NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card. Featuring 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 RAM, 1536 CUDA cores, NVIDIA PhysX and new GPU Boost technology, it's ready for even the most demanding PC blockbusters. It also features the case and cooling from NVIDIA's flagship GPU, the Titan, for effective and silent running along with an imposing finish to match the chassis' cool blue LEDs and water cooling cables.  Serious storage File storage is provided by an ample 1 TB HDD and provides plenty of room for games, media, files and anything else you need. Supporting the HDD is a handy 128 GB SSD. Perfect for installing the OS, regularly used games or favourite programs, it ensures the fastest possible boot up and files access, giving you the instant computing experience you need. Gaming with Windows Windows 8.1 is the perfect OS for serious gaming. Pared back and less demanding on resources than previous editions, it lets the components work on what's important. The start screen now features Live Tiles, handy windows into your favourite programs and games that deliver important info and updates straight to your desktop ¿ perfect for chatting or keeping up to date with stats on the fly. Convenient connections Competing against friends online is fast and reliable courtesy of the Gigabit Ethernet port while backing up data is faster than ever with the fourteen USB ports, four of which are high performance USB 3.0. How you connect to your monitor is completely up to you as the Revolution Xtreme features HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort connections for highly detailed, easy to manage multi-monitor set-ups. Experience the power and performance of the high-end Cyberpower Revolution Xtreme Gaming PC. 

That would have a nice system back in the day. Being a Cyber Power it will no doubt be built quite professionally. It would most likely play FM 18, but nearly all of the equipment is aging, and especially the CPU being unlocked and rated for overclocking, a certain amount and stresses and strains are still put on the CPU. The GTX will have been superseded by a couple of generations, even though nVidia have the strangest way of naming certain GPU’s, it is quite old. 

The biggest issue I can see is the mother board is only supported up to sixth gen processors. So if something went wrong with this machine, it could be expensive to replace, or even mean replacing a whole motherboard with a new CPU for a start. Just my own personal opinion Lowe, but I wouldn’t touch it and I have experience of overclocking and water coooling. An up date budget build for around 600 - 700 quid (minus monitor and KB/Mouse) would play FM. Again just my personal opinion, no offence itended. 

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Well that's ok then - as it's happened on here before. 

Just to reiterate, I quite enjoy helping people find a better system within their budgets, as I made that exact mistake myself about 10 years ago, and swore it would never happen again. 

It's a lot of money for FM users and my main goal is to support those users on a budget and help them find something better, as a lot of people don't understand the jargon and model numbering parts system.

Yeah no probs. Having been an active member on several computing forums over the years, I derive a sense of enjoyment from others getting on the journey to essentially being able to cherry pick their own components etc. Obviously a completely different context here, but reminds me all the same.

Yes I made the mistake of buying a Core 2 Duo lappy a few years ago due to being a little impatient and thought I could bag a bargain, but didn’t quite appreciate just good the 1st gen Core i5/7’s were going to be. Six weeks is all I should have waited, but was running a substantially overclocked AthlonX2 3800 at the time. Was probably quite ignorant as well, so I too don’t want to make that mistake again.

Hi all

I’m just after a bit of advice, I’m looking for a new desktop for FM, I’ve been advised to get an Alienware Aurora but it seems a bit pricey and a bit overkill for my needs, (Mainly FM but I’d like the option to play other games). I’d prefer not to go above £700 but can stretch if needed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, ELPH said:

Hi all

I’m just after a bit of advice, I’m looking for a new desktop for FM, I’ve been advised to get an Alienware Aurora but it seems a bit pricey and a bit overkill for my needs, (Mainly FM but I’d like the option to play other games). I’d prefer not to go above £700 but can stretch if needed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yes more than likely it would be overkill for FM 18, although I would probably budget around 650 - 750 minimum for a solid desktop. Just depends on the route. Build it yourself, or buy retail. If it is the latter, the one in the is not too shabby. You can get them packing more horsepower as well.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/alienware-aurora-r7-gaming-pc-silver-10175015-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=-xapqwqmltl&istBid=t&awc=1599_1524779317_f46cf48aeb77bf5419d03a7d73262df3&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~TechRadar~Editorial Content~103504&awid=103504

13 hours ago, ELPH said:

Hi all

I think this would be a bit of a stretch - best in i7 range I can see

https://www.box.co.uk/MSI-Aegis-3-VR7RC-081UK_2267184.html

However, to get to your budget...

https://www.box.co.uk/Lenovo-Legion-Y520T_2325653.html

It will be good for you - and you can upgrade to an SSD and add more ram at a later stage anyway.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-upgrade-RAM-and-SSD-Warranty/td-p/3930748

Of the Integrated Graphics card would someone tell me please, what is decent for FM? (on medium settings) I would rather a fast processer and want to get something a bit more portable (13" screen), budget is around £1000.00

Would anyone have any recommendations around the above please?

9 hours ago, Smurf said:

I think this would be a bit of a stretch - best in i7 range I can see

https://www.box.co.uk/MSI-Aegis-3-VR7RC-081UK_2267184.html

However, to get to your budget...

https://www.box.co.uk/Lenovo-Legion-Y520T_2325653.html

It will be good for you - and you can upgrade to an SSD and add more ram at a later stage anyway.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Legion-Y520-upgrade-RAM-and-SSD-Warranty/td-p/3930748

21 hours ago, Transk53 said:

Yes more than likely it would be overkill for FM 18, although I would probably budget around 650 - 750 minimum for a solid desktop. Just depends on the route. Build it yourself, or buy retail. If it is the latter, the one in the is not too shabby. You can get them packing more horsepower as well.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/alienware-aurora-r7-gaming-pc-silver-10175015-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=-xapqwqmltl&istBid=t&awc=1599_1524779317_f46cf48aeb77bf5419d03a7d73262df3&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~TechRadar~Editorial Content~103504&awid=103504

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate your time.

2 hours ago, ELPH said:

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate your time.

No worries. As Smurf said buying retail can be pretty expensive, but if you know where to look, can get some solid budget systems. I know of some, but also if you feel confident of doing by yourself, by all means PM me if you wanted to try. I could you in the right direction at least.

On 2018-04-25 at 21:57, Smurf said:

I'd go with the other one. You're better off with a better processor than graphic card.

Unless you plan on playing other games...

Thank you both for the input. Would it be worth the money to add an additional 8gb of RAM for 83£ for FM18 purposes?

23 hours ago, Ames said:

Thank you both for the input. Would it be worth the money to add an additional 8gb of RAM for 83£ for FM18 purposes?

Absolutely. I know this may sound silly, but helps to tell a tech what speed you need. IE 2133Mhz for example. 

Hi,

I am looking for a new laptop and have a budget of £800.

I have had a look around and have found these 3 -

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-1869-MSI-GL62M-7REX-1869UK_2191608.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-ZX553VD-DM970T-Gaming-Laptop_2145528.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J942-079-MSI-GP62-7RD(Leopard)-079UK_2068374.html

Are these good enough to play Fm18 and future versions? I dont want to be buying a new laptop every year when the game is released.

Also, are there any better laptops out there for £800?

9 hours ago, J88KLN said:

Hi,

I am looking for a new laptop and have a budget of £800.

I have had a look around and have found these 3 -

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-1869-MSI-GL62M-7REX-1869UK_2191608.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-ZX553VD-DM970T-Gaming-Laptop_2145528.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J942-079-MSI-GP62-7RD(Leopard)-079UK_2068374.html

Are these good enough to play Fm18 and future versions? I dont want to be buying a new laptop every year when the game is released.

Also, are there any better laptops out there for £800?

The one you have there https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-ZX553VD-DM970T-Gaming-Laptop_2145528.html

10 hours ago, Smurf said:

2 hours ago, Transk53 said:

Yes not bad for the price. Almost went for an Asus myself, but opted for a Scan 3XS. Mind you comes with an Asus board anyway so should prove reliable 

Many thanks for both replies!!

What specs do you look at when deciding if the laptop is good enough?

I notice that all 3 laptops are very similar withthe following differences -

- i5-7300HQ v i7-7700HQ

- GTX 1050 v GTX 1050Ti

I am only asking as I can have a quick look around again before parting with my cash.

2 hours ago, J88KLN said:

- i5-7300HQ v i7-7700HQ

- GTX 1050 v GTX 1050Ti

I am only asking as I can have a quick look around again before parting with my cash.

Well quite a lot, but in many cases performance/speed wise not a lot, but Tbh with FM you probably won’t see much of a difference. Well I can’t give you a qualified comment on that, but in the real world the i7 are faster, but also some i5’s are just as good, but you would have to go pretty deep in to the tech to discuss it.  Actually the question you have asked has been asked a few times it would seem, this was the first Google hit lol

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7300HQ/m211019vsm223877

With the 1050 using the same app (sorry getting a bit geeky here) the ti is just a factory enhancement really. Just a bit souped up, but makes a little difference with some games. With FM probably not, but yeah, it couldn’t hurt to have the ti over a bog standard 1050. 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile/m211022vsm223242

Hi 

I’m looking to pick up a new laptop and have a budget of up to £1,000. 

I don’t really want a gaming specific laptop as will need to use it for work too so could do with it looking at least a little professional. I don’t really play any games other than FM. 

Ive seen the below in the flesh and like the build quality / portability of it but would be grateful for any input as to whether it will run FM18 smoothly. I only play in 2D. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbook-ux430ua-gv415t-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-256gb-ssd-14-blue/p3408299?sku=237284217&s_kwcid=2dx92700031887530674&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4I-I-bDl2gIVab7tCh0EfwyxEAQYAiABEgJUzfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(I have JL vouchers to use and like the idea of a 2 year guarantee)  

Although it’s an 8th Gen i7 processor I note it’s 1.8ghz (without boost) - is this likely to be a problem?

Any input is gratefully received!!

1 hour ago, Transk53 said:

Well quite a lot, but in many cases performance/speed wise not a lot, but Tbh with FM you probably won’t see much of a difference. Well I can’t give you a qualified comment on that, but in the real world the i7 are faster, but also some i5’s are just as good, but you would have to go pretty deep in to the tech to discuss it.  Actually the question you have asked has been asked a few times it would seem, this was the first Google hit lol

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7300HQ/m211019vsm223877

With the 1050 using the same app (sorry getting a bit geeky here) the ti is just a factory enhancement really. Just a bit souped up, but makes a little difference with some games. With FM probably not, but yeah, it couldn’t hurt to have the ti over a bog standard 1050. 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile/m211022vsm223242

Many thanks for the fast reply again!!

I have had a look around and have found this one on amazon that is under my budget -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-1693UK-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0767K2ZN8/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525211179&sr=1-8&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A8322505031%2Cp_n_pattern_browse-bin%3A937175031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A8322553031%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A8322531031%2Cp_36%3A9708209031&th=1

it looks like it has roughly the same specs as the ASUS, however the GTX 1050 is 4Gb instead of 2Gb.

43 minutes ago, bluenose1 said:

Hi 

I’m looking to pick up a new laptop and have a budget of up to £1,000. 

I don’t really want a gaming specific laptop as will need to use it for work too so could do with it looking at least a little professional. I don’t really play any games other than FM. 

Ive seen the below in the flesh and like the build quality / portability of it but would be grateful for any input as to whether it will run FM18 smoothly. I only play in 2D. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbook-ux430ua-gv415t-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-256gb-ssd-14-blue/p3408299?sku=237284217&s_kwcid=2dx92700031887530674&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4I-I-bDl2gIVab7tCh0EfwyxEAQYAiABEgJUzfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(I have JL vouchers to use and like the idea of a 2 year guarantee)  

Although it’s an 8th Gen i7 processor I note it’s 1.8ghz (without boost) - is this likely to be a problem?

Any input is gratefully received!!

This particular processor model comes with settings called Configurable TDP-up Frequency. You can turn it up to 2Ghz so should run. What that means in the game recognising Processor speed I don’t know.

5 minutes ago, J88KLN said:

Yes MSI laptops are thought of very highly. And with the extra headroom of having 4Gigs of video memory is all good. Maybe not specifically for FM, but generally. One thing though, if W10 is installed on the SSD, don’t be surprised to loose 20Gbyte plus for the installation. But yes, overall that looks like a good buy 👍

13 hours ago, J88KLN said:

- i5-7300HQ v i7-7700HQ

- GTX 1050 v GTX 1050Ti

Processor - Typically - the hire up the list the better

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

Graphics - Typically - the hire up the list the better

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

As noted already though - I wouldn't be sure you'd see a lot of gains for FM.

9 hours ago, J88KLN said:

Can't get onto JL at the moment to have a look. Typically, I have found that if it's not 2.2ghz at base frequency then it's in trouble for processing for FM18 as the game progressess the processor works harder and gets hotter, and once it starts getting hot it will slow down to cool itself (self-preservation) - and FM requires a minimum of 2.2ghz. 

9 hours ago, Transk53 said:

Yes MSI laptops are thought of very highly. And with the extra headroom of having 4Gigs of video memory is all good. Maybe not specifically for FM, but generally. One thing though, if W10 is installed on the SSD, don’t be surprised to loose 20Gbyte plus for the installation. But yes, overall that looks like a good buy 👍

It's quite true - although keep in mind that an MSI laptop usually don't have a long battery life (how long it lasts when unplugged and playing), it's usually 3-4 hours, and with FM18 you could cut that time in half.

And installing the OS on the SSD is highly recommended .

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's quite true - although keep in mind that an MSI laptop usually don't have a long battery life (how long it lasts when unplugged and playing), it's usually 3-4 hours, and with FM18 you could cut that time in half.

Yes indeed. No doubt the machine I have bought will be the same. Think only the HP machines as a collective review along with the Asus, MSI etc have better consumption and reserve. Tbh, even with most games, most laptops will still not have a massive amount of playing time. Even with gaming machines, the laptop per se simply was not designed for that type of activity. Even with cheaper, or should I say standard, it is best to run with external power on if only to mitigate system stress. That is definitely something I would advise anybody to do. 

43 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Can't get onto JL at the moment to have a look. Typically, I have found that if it's not 2.2ghz at base frequency then it's in trouble for processing for FM18 as the game progressess the processor works harder and gets hotter, and once it starts getting hot it will slow down to cool itself (self-preservation) - and FM requires a minimum of 2.2ghz. 

Smurf and Transk. Thank you for your input - some excellent help you are providing on this thread.

You’ve put me off the i7- 8550 zenbook!

(And are probably saving me cash at the same time!)

I’m now considering the following:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-1799E5-1225-MSI-GL72M-7REX-1225UK_2206597.html

or the MSI on Amazon posted a few posts back:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-1693UK-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0767K2ZN8/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525211179&sr=1-8&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A8322505031%2Cp_n_pattern_browse-bin%3A937175031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A8322553031%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A8322531031%2Cp_36%3A9708209031&th=1

im leaning toward the ASUS as I think it looks less of a gamer specific laptop so could still get away with using it for work but I do value build quality / quality of materials and have never seen it in the flesh. 

Any views between these? Thanks again  

58 minutes ago, bluenose1 said:

Smurf and Transk. Thank you for your input - some excellent help you are providing on this thread.

You’ve put me off the i7- 8550 zenbook!

(And are probably saving me cash at the same time!)

I’m now considering the following:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-1799E5-1225-MSI-GL72M-7REX-1225UK_2206597.html

or the MSI on Amazon posted a few posts back:

im leaning toward the ASUS as I think it looks less of a gamer specific laptop so could still get away with using it for work but I do value build quality / quality of materials and have never seen it in the flesh. 

Any views between these? Thanks again  

Out of those this would be my pick https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-1799E5-1225-MSI-GL72M-7REX-1225UK_2206597.html

It has the 17 inch screen which I prefer (and it's pretty high spec), however, the other 2 are 15 inch screens - depends on what you want.

If you want a 15 inch I can pick between the two for you.

19 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Out of those this would be my pick https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-1799E5-1225-MSI-GL72M-7REX-1225UK_2206597.html

It has the 17 inch screen which I prefer (and it's pretty high spec), however, the other 2 are 15 inch screens - depends on what you want.

If you want a 15 inch I can pick between the two for you.

I’d prefer the smaller screen to increase portability. What dyou reckon out of the two 15inch models? 

I have also also found a zenbook with the i7-7500u processor (higher base processor speed). Appreciate that I would be sacrificing performance for the portability / non gamer laptop aspect but how big do you reckon the drop off would be for Fm purposes between this and the earlier quoted Asis / Msi? 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-zenbook-core-i7-7500u-8gb-25gb-ssd-14-windows-10-laptop-ux430ua-gv232t/version.asp?refsource=LDadwords&refsource=Ldadwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7NrR6efm2gIVxbTtCh2bXg0nEAQYAyABEgLQrfD_BwE

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, bluenose1 said:

I’d prefer the smaller screen to increase portability. What dyou reckon out of the two 15inch models? 

I have also also found a zenbook with the i7-7500u processor (higher base processor speed). Appreciate that I would be sacrificing performance for the portability / non gamer laptop aspect but how big do you reckon the drop off would be for Fm purposes between this and the earlier quoted Asis / Msi? 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-zenbook-core-i7-7500u-8gb-25gb-ssd-14-windows-10-laptop-ux430ua-gv232t/version.asp?refsource=LDadwords&refsource=Ldadwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7NrR6efm2gIVxbTtCh2bXg0nEAQYAyABEgLQrfD_BwE

Thanks 

Not at chance with the i7-7500U - no way.

I'd go with the MSI https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-1693UK-15-6-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B0767K2ZN8/ref=sr_1_8?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1525211179&sr=1-8&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A8322505031%2Cp_n_pattern_browse-bin%3A937175031%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A8322553031%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A8322531031%2Cp_36%3A9708209031&th=1

Only reason I can find to go with that is it states average battery life as being 6 hours (unusual for an MSI).

The ASUS is a close second (only a breath separates them).

Up to you though in the end both fine machines.

Saw this linked earlier in the thread: https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html

Was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of what level of performance to expect from this? I am currently playing with a laptop that struggles through with me playing 10 nations and 18 divisons and was wondering if I would be experiencing similar with this laptop.

I have seen it recommended to someone earlier in the thread, but was interested in alternatives that were available at around the £600 mark (ideally wouldn't want to go over that price) and the positives and negatives of those options.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

1 hour ago, 20LEgend Razman said:

Saw this linked earlier in the thread: https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html

Was wondering if anybody could give me an idea of what level of performance to expect from this? I am currently playing with a laptop that struggles through with me playing 10 nations and 18 divisons and was wondering if I would be experiencing similar with this laptop.

I have seen it recommended to someone earlier in the thread, but was interested in alternatives that were available at around the £600 mark (ideally wouldn't want to go over that price) and the positives and negatives of those options.

It is not a bad machine at all and will be good enough for FM. Whether you could load all leagues I don’t know, and also you would have to list your current spec for a comparison.

The thing with laptops in this price range is that manufacturers will play around with components to a certain degree to keep in a budget. Some may offer a video card with bigger memory with a lower spec CPU or the other way round. At least with machines with the gaming laptop moniker. @smurf should be able recommend for you, as I would recommend no lower than a grand for one.

One thing I would advise is write down on a pad what you want it for. Yes probably predominantly for FM, but if you study for example, or even use it for work purposes, it is a useful way to try and wade through the positive and negative aspects. Most machines are pretty similar, but people who play other games like myself, need an SSD 250 gig plus for example.

I do understand the amount of money wanting to be spent though. Originally I wanted a core desktop replacement but talking silly money, but for what I wanted it still cost me 1700, so I would really emphasise the importantance Of really nailing what you want to use it for as a whole before parting with hard earned cash. Just my personal take on it.

2 hours ago, Transk53 said:

It is not a bad machine at all and will be good enough for FM. Whether you could load all leagues I don’t know, and also you would have to list your current spec for a comparison.

The thing with laptops in this price range is that manufacturers will play around with components to a certain degree to keep in a budget. Some may offer a video card with bigger memory with a lower spec CPU or the other way round. At least with machines with the gaming laptop moniker. @smurf should be able recommend for you, as I would recommend no lower than a grand for one.

One thing I would advise is write down on a pad what you want it for. Yes probably predominantly for FM, but if you study for example, or even use it for work purposes, it is a useful way to try and wade through the positive and negative aspects. Most machines are pretty similar, but people who play other games like myself, need an SSD 250 gig plus for example.

I do understand the amount of money wanting to be spent though. Originally I wanted a core desktop replacement but talking silly money, but for what I wanted it still cost me 1700, so I would really emphasise the importantance Of really nailing what you want to use it for as a whole before parting with hard earned cash. Just my personal take on it.

Thanks, I was feeling like I was rushing in a little, so the idea to write down my requirements is a good one. Will definitely do that when I get the time and seek further advice from there :)

22 hours ago, 20LEgend Razman said:

For 600 you won't get much better. If that's your budget then that laptop is one of the better on the low budget end.

How good it will play...that's ambiguous to guess. 

21 hours ago, Transk53 said:

You missed the part where the OP has only got 600 and doesn't want to spend anymore. Bringing the budget to 1000 would be an increase of 50% which for me seems unrealistic.

For 600 it's a very strong laptop with more than enough power for FM.

Would it be as good as one for a 1000 - of course not.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

You missed the part where the OP has only got 600 and doesn't want to spend anymore. Bringing the budget to 1000 would be an increase of 50% which for me seems unrealistic.

For 600 it's a very strong laptop with more than enough power for FM.

Would it be as good as one for a 1000 - of course not.

No I didn’t miss it, hence why I said you will be able to recommend 👍

1 hour ago, wong said:

Just orfered new lappy, my pc finally had it after 8 years

https://www.box.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html

Nice machines. Should have no issues with that. If they install the windows partition on the SSD, just keep an eye on the window updates and stuff. 128 GB will be minus up to 40 GB potentially. 

Hi Folks,

I'm getting back on the horse after about 10 years away from the game (thought I'd escaped it but its pulled me back in)

I need a new laptop so before buying I wanted to make sure it'll run FM18 smoothly.

I dont plan on watching matches in 3D so I'm guessing the graphics card isn't super important. I'd like to run a decent amount of leagues, maybe around 10 and obviously i'd like it to run as quickly as possible :)

Looking at these 2

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-6-15-6-laptop-black-10174146-pdt.html

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-bp151sa-14-laptop-black-10174099-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Are these suitable? Also do I need to spend £500 for what I want? I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, middleweight165 said:

Hi Folks,

I'm getting back on the horse after about 10 years away from the game (thought I'd escaped it but its pulled me back in)

I need a new laptop so before buying I wanted to make sure it'll run FM18 smoothly.

I dont plan on watching matches in 3D so I'm guessing the graphics card isn't super important. I'd like to run a decent amount of leagues, maybe around 10 and obviously i'd like it to run as quickly as possible :)

Looking at these 2

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-6-15-6-laptop-black-10174146-pdt.html

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-bp151sa-14-laptop-black-10174099-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Are these suitable? Also do I need to spend £500 for what I want? I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks in advance

No unfortunately the processor is too slow @stock speed. They are ultra low power and are very good chips, but are meant for productivity like students doing course work, or word processing in offices kind of thing. Even with turbo boost being quite high, the processor isn’t designed with games in mind. You could still get a lappy for that price, but as long as the on chip graphics meet minimum requirements, try for a best as you can i5 would be my advice.

12 hours ago, middleweight165 said:

Hi Folks,

Looking at these 2

Thanks in advance

For 500 quid I wouldn't recommend anything that I see - however, by upping your budget by about £80 - you can definitely get something that would work. 

Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted :(

13 hours ago, Transk53 said:

No unfortunately the processor is too slow @stock speed. They are ultra low power and are very good chips, but are meant for productivity like students doing course work, or word processing in offices kind of thing. Even with turbo boost being quite high, the processor isn’t designed with games in mind. You could still get a lappy for that price, but as long as the on chip graphics meet minimum requirements, try for a best as you can i5 would be my advice.

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me, I'm a simpleton when it comes to this. The processor speed of the Acer is 1.6ghz and the 3.6ghz boost doesnt really mean anything, 1.6 is the number I should compare and this is below the 2.2ghz that is recommended?

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

For 500 quid I wouldn't recommend anything that I see - however, by upping your budget by about £80 - you can definitely get something that would work. 

Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted :(

Thanks for the reply. What would the extra £80 get me in terms of specs that I would need? Is it the speed of the processor that is too slow on the models I linked?

My current laptop has these specs:

- Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2 GHz

- 8GB RAM

-Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (i think this is right)

This runs FM17 pretty slowly, but ticks the boxes of FM18's recommended specs so I'm not sure why it runs FM17 slowly. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me.

Also definitely willing to add another £80 to the budget if it'll get me what I need

Thanks again

1 hour ago, middleweight165 said:

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me, I'm a simpleton when it comes to this. The processor speed of the Acer is 1.6ghz and the 3.6ghz boost doesnt really mean anything, 1.6 is the number I should compare and this is below the 2.2ghz that is recommended?

Yes in a nutshell. I figured that some processors increasing speed would be okay for the game, but from what I have been looking at in terms of information that doesn’t appear to be the case. So yes the base clock (game processors starting speed) is 2.2Ghz. Turbo boost is in essence Intels way of overclocking the CPU, but done in a safe way so the chip is stable. But the CPU will still officially be 2.2Ghz for example.

with your current laptop, and although it still runs, these CPU’s are optimised to run with lower voltage and power requirements. Usually two settings, or more, are available to be changed within Windows. However, because of the nature of the CPU, turbo boost is there, but won’t necessarily make a lot of difference overall to the running of the laptop. So yes the game would be a little slower than say another i5 up the tech tree.

Any processor with the designation "U" after it stands for "Ultra-low Power". 

Which means it's designed to run at the slowest speed to conserve power. FM when running will use a lot of processing power. 

And when it does it runs hot, and processors are designed to cool themselves by running at the lowest speed. 

When you look at a processors speed there are 2 readings.

You will see that it runs 2.2ghz and up to 2.7ghz - well it will only reach 2.7ghz under optimal cool conditions - unlikely with FM and the processor running hot. 

5af1a08a88330_ScreenShot2018-05-08at14_05_03.thumb.png.9e378e49cc179fbbaac9135ba2c74b74.png

The other things to consider is how each core performs during multitasking - which means it's likely that while multi-threading (core split in 2 (not technically correct)) - the core will be 2 tasks at once potentially slowing the core performance down below 2.2ghz. 

Extra 80 quid gets you this

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

Or if you go an extra 100 you can get this with an SSD which will be pretty fast for starting up the computer and general speed (note it doesn't have an effect really for FM)

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Products/cat/Computing~B~Laptops~B~Laptops/sort/2/refine/max~600

Archived