Non-league team

Matteo3champions

Hi!!!

With FM 2019 behind the corner, i'd like to ask to you a team that i would train this fm's edition.

I'll start my main save around mid-december, after a "trial" save with Inter Milan, and this year i'd like to start in UK.

The team that i'd like to train should have this main features:

1) in the past, has took part in football League/conference divisions;

2) or has a rivalry with an important team

Thank you so much for reply!!!

Currently managing  Salford City in English Conference North in FM18. They will be in Conference National in FM19. Owned by very wealthy Valencia owner Peter Lim plus Neville brotehrs, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Nicky Butt. Potentially very rich and very ambitious club!!

Recommend Eastleigh in Conference National as a challenge due to Chairman/Owner leaving to buy Sunderland.

As for Football League teams, Sunderland will be great challenge to get back up from League 1 with their massive wage bill and money issues. Big club at that level.

Nuneaton Town

No history as such, except for the fact they were Nuneaton Borough before going bust a few yrs back and fans have been campaigning for a name change back to the Boro ever since. Nice kits and small finances makes for interesting transfer activity. Plus being midlands based could have a rivalry with most teams across the divisions

Ex-Football League teams in the National North include: Boston United, Kidderminster HarriersStockport County and York City. York are the most recent Football League side having suffered back-to-back relegation to the North. The 2018/19 season will be their second season in the division. 

Other 'big fishes' in the National League include Leyton Orient and Hartlepool United who are undergoing their second seasons in the division this season. Wrexham are a club who were well-established in the Football League but have been in the National League/Conference for over a decade now I believe, despite many close escapes. Lots of money sides in the league also such as Salford City (ran by Giggs, Scholes etc.) and AFC Fylde. Both have top strikers in Adam Rooney and Danny Rowe.

Billericay will be playing their first season in the National South after winning promotion and have a lot of money to throw around. They have the likes of Jamie O'Hara there, among other names. Although they are rather disliked and the owner is a bit of a maniac. :lol:

Honourable mentions: Barrow - ex Football League as late as the 1970's, they were elected out of the league in favour of Hereford United.

Hereford - Won promotion to the National North this season after a meteoric rise to the league since being reformed in 2014. Hereford United (the club prior to going bust) were in the Football League for many years.

Other teams to consider due to their stature (and the challenge to survive in their respective leagues): Ashton United, Curzon Ashton, Leamington, Slough Town.

Another team to do some research into is Dulwich Hamlet and possibly even Chester. 

Hope this helped!

• 4 weeks later...

Try Altrincham for a challenge newly promoted back in to the Conference North but formerly a very strong member of the main Conference league. They have a very rich history of Cup Giant Killing. The challenge however, is getting them to return to the Conference and do well there as they are one of the few part-time clubs in the Conference structure.

Stockport County. Previously played in the Football League and were in League One as recently as 2009. Many good players have plied their trade here in the past with the likes of Ashley Williams, Antony Plikington, Liam Dickinson and Adam le Fondre all strutting their stuff at Edgeley Park. The ground holds just over 10,000 spectators so decent enough for a few years and they also have good training facilities. 

Start the game as a semi-pro outfit in the Vanarama National League North having finished in the playoffs the previous season.

On 14/09/2018 at 06:51, OJ403 said:

Nuneaton Town

No history as such, except for the fact they were Nuneaton Borough before going bust a few yrs back and fans have been campaigning for a name change back to the Boro ever since. Nice kits and small finances makes for interesting transfer activity. Plus being midlands based could have a rivalry with most teams across the divisions

They are Nuneaton Borough again now changed their name back this season.

I had a look at them last night and they have a good squad that with 3/4 good additions should be in with a shout of promotion.

I am tempted to have a game with them myself due to their current financial problems again recently

45 minutes ago, YoungHoss said:

They are Nuneaton Borough again now changed their name back this season.

I had a look at them last night and they have a good squad that with 3/4 good additions should be in with a shout of promotion.

I am tempted to have a game with them myself due to their current financial problems again recently

Yeah Ive actually started following the club in real life as they are relatively local. Really hoping yhey don't go bust again, but at the minute it looks a case of when not if.

29 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

Yeah Ive actually started following the club in real life as they are relatively local. Really hoping yhey don't go bust again, but at the minute it looks a case of when not if.

I only know as I try to follow non league football irl as best I can so I can learn players to look at on fm.

It is a real shame that as you say they look like going bust again but they have Leicester, Wolves, Villa, Birmingham, West Brom, Walsall, Coventry all pretty local teams I can imagine gates aren’t that great for them.

On 16/09/2018 at 13:59, DefinitelyTaylor said:

Ex-Football League teams in the National North include: Boston United, Kidderminster HarriersStockport County and York City. York are the most recent Football League side having suffered back-to-back relegation to the North. The 2018/19 season will be their second season in the division. 

Other 'big fishes' in the National League include Leyton Orient and Hartlepool United who are undergoing their second seasons in the division this season. Wrexham are a club who were well-established in the Football League but have been in the National League/Conference for over a decade now I believe, despite many close escapes. Lots of money sides in the league also such as Salford City (ran by Giggs, Scholes etc.) and AFC Fylde. Both have top strikers in Adam Rooney and Danny Rowe.

Billericay will be playing their first season in the National South after winning promotion and have a lot of money to throw around. They have the likes of Jamie O'Hara there, among other names. Although they are rather disliked and the owner is a bit of a maniac. :lol:

Honourable mentions: Barrow - ex Football League as late as the 1970's, they were elected out of the league in favour of Hereford United.

Hereford - Won promotion to the National North this season after a meteoric rise to the league since being reformed in 2014. Hereford United (the club prior to going bust) were in the Football League for many years.

Other teams to consider due to their stature (and the challenge to survive in their respective leagues): Ashton United, Curzon Ashton, Leamington, Slough Town.

Another team to do some research into is Dulwich Hamlet and possibly even Chester. 

Hope this helped!

A few more to add to the list of ex league clubs in the National League North

Darlington (reformed club) recent FA Trophy winners 2014 I think?

Bradford Park Avenue (reformed Club but were a league club in the 70’s)

Southport last won the old Division 4, League 2 these days in 1974 

4 hours ago, YoungHoss said:

I only know as I try to follow non league football irl as best I can so I can learn players to look at on fm.

It is a real shame that as you say they look like going bust again but they have Leicester, Wolves, Villa, Birmingham, West Brom, Walsall, Coventry all pretty local teams I can imagine gates aren’t that great for them.

Tbh I think the gates are decent, from what I know, its more the case that they dont own any training ground, or have any money (so all the staff and players etc havent been payed a penny recently at all) and also their owner has disappeared after putting the club on the market, so no one can actually buy the club.

Another option steeped in history would be my hometown club, Maidenhead United, who are one of the oldest football clubs in the world, having been formed in 1870. They have been at their Yord Road ground since 1871, making it the "oldest senior football ground continuously in use by the same club".

Promoted into the Conference National having won the Conference South last season, they are one of the few Semi-Pro clubs playing at that level as most clubs are Professional in that division. This should make for an interesting challenge.

Archived