How to Spend my Transfer Budget?

OK. I prefer to play small or mid-sized clubs (Reggina, Flamengo, Southampton, etc.). One of my challenges is how to best allocate my transfer budget.

Should I spend it all in one or two super players each year, or should I invest in a larger number of younger average players?...

Also, do you prefer one-time payments or are you willing to compromise your club's finances with a three year plus add-on fees for the selling clubs?

Any hints are appreciated. Thanks.

A difficult one to answer but:

You should use the transfer budget to make improvements on areas of the team that you think need it, so the answer to the first question is it will depend on the team strengths.

I personally only use one time payments as it keeps me on top of the running balance.

One last thing is that you don't need to spend the transfer budget if it is not going to improve your team- any unused budget will help the overall finance situation.

As a smaller club always buy players who are going to improve your current side. They can be older or young players, but every signing should be made to improve the squad, each time. The only exception is if you find a really talented young player who can sign quite cheap and are likely going to be able to integrate into the squad at a later date (or sell for a huge profit).

In general I actually try to find players on the cheap who I will make a profit on later if they play well and someone comes with a bid for them. Improve squad is number one objective, make profit is number two. I tend to sign players for a lump sum when I am a smaller club, as FrazT says it keeps you on top of your budget. 

I'd go with @sporadicsmiles as well. Although to be honest it all depends on the squad you have, what is needed where and what your overall philosophy is. You could have a massive budget, but Neymar won't sign for West Brom so things have to kept fairly realistic.

I tend to look at a five-year plan, which gives me an idea of which of the u18s will be in/around the first team and which positions need filling - if I can get a big-name in hten I would consider it, but a limited budget and I will tend to only spend if it improves the first team. 

One of the hardest things is to resist the temptation of spending just because the money is there - I often, after the January window closes - spend what is left on u18s and bring some good youngsters in.

I typically play with similar clubs. It’s usually an evolving project. The timeline for below is based on finances and starting point. All along you should be working your board for club improvements  

first phase: move out surplus players with adequate cover/youth. Try and find bargains for listed and/or unhappy players that help fill out your roster to level set your playing style.

Second phase: splurge on youth signings to get your Home grown opportunities up to snuff. Don’t take on more than you can properly tutor/play/develop. 

Third phase: if you’ve managed your finances well. You should have an opportunity for a luxury buy or two. Guys that bolster your first team and are young enough to be long term fixtures. 

Fourth phase: patch holes in youth, reserves, and first team accordingly. Sell before you have to so you can always be prepared

Due to the lack of 'snow parties' & women of lax moral integrity you're only options are

• Players who are better than you already have
  • Players who improve squad depth
  • Re-assign to wage budget for more options with existing players

is about it really, if you don't need new players or better wage budget

there's nothing wrong with not spending it

Archived