FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

1st season with United was a very frustrating one. Ok I won the Charity Shield, the Super Cup and the World Club Championship but exited the FA Cup, League Cup and the Champions League all to Chelski. Needless to say they ran away with the league too with 102 points going unbeaten.

It was absolutely infuriating that I was getting drawn against them all the time. Away in the FA Cup and League Cup. An absolute joke. I finished the season with 90 points. Would of been enough most seasons but because Essien was their top scorer with 24 (wtf)? they couldn't be stopped. They've raised the bar...and I've put a marker down in the summer transfer market so far.

I've sold Rooney, Nani, Valencia among others to add to an already bolstered transfer budget.

As of 17th June 09' the deals that have been concluded thus far are;

Miguel Veloso - £19 million (Will play the holding role in midfield, behind his ol' team mate Moutinho, who I signed in my 1st season)

Frank Ribery - £22 million (Could of got him for a couple of million less but tried to be cute and get him for less, but it didn't work. I've had it up to here *holds hand up to head* with Valencia and Nani)

David Silva - £23 million + Anderson (Reasonably pleased with this deal)

I'm currently negotiating with Werder Bremen to bring Diego in. A deal will probably be tied up in the next 10 days, which will cost around £25 million. I'm thinking of a formation of...

----------------van der Sar-----------------

Brown------Vidic-------Demichelis-------Evra----

-----------------Veloso--------------------

-----------Diego-------Moutinho-----------

--Ribery---------------------------Silva----

-----------------Love--------------------

A team full of pace, I have Oscar Cardozo on the bench for some umph! if need be.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'e sold Rooney? Are you crazy?

No. He just isn't clinical enough. If fact whenever I've managed, only once or twice has he been good. You try to give him some advice but he chucks it back in your face. Consistently getting high 5's and low 6's, I have no patience with him in this game.

I want me strikers to be strikers and not deep laying play makers. I already have a good one of them in Berbatov who would be ahead of Rooney anyday of the week.

Just took over United at the start of season 4 in a network game and need to get a few players in. I really need a keeper as there are no recognised keepers in the squad. Looking to buy Adler, Mandanda or LLoris for about £30m, and get a cheap back up.

----------no keeper-------------

Brown-----Vidic--Ferdinand---Evra

Ronaldo----Veloso--Anderson---Nani

------Rooney---Tevez--

There is also Fletcher, Carrick, Hargreeves in the squad but i think i need a left sided CB and i was thinking of Sakho. I had Marquinhos at Celtic and want to take him to Man Utd but obvously Celtic are holding out for funny money so may have to look elsewhere.

I was thinking of getting another left winger and forward, should have £60m to spend after i get a keeper so hope this will get me 2 more players, any suggestions for AML and ST?

And i also had Rodrigez as a left winger at Celtic but looks as though he is away to Mardid for £35m.

Just started a United save, with all transfers from the 09/10 season added in, so no Ronaldo but there is Owen, Valencia and co.

Transfers:

Jovetic (Fiorentina) - £15million

Fleck (Rangers) - £1.7million

I'm hoping to get Davide Santon as a future right back and maybe Toni Kroos, but I don't plan on playing with an AMC. Is he as good playing MC as he is at AMC? I was also thinking of making a move for Beckham, since he was awesome stats to be repositioned as a MC.

If you were wanting a true MC instead of an amc then i have to recommend witsel, he is totally insane. I signed him third season and i wish i had signed him sooner. Beckham could be a laugh, i havent signed him back to united but at aston villa he tore it up with barry. Awesome especially when he hits peak fitness mid season.

Thanks for the advice, I've just signed him, looks awesome. I'm trying to sign Santon as I've sold Brown but Inter won't accept my bids which have ranged from £10-20million.

EDIT: Inter has accepted my bid of £22million. But Santon wants £68,000 per week. Which is just crazy, considering he's just what, 18 years old? Should I sign him?

Thanks for the advice, I've just signed him, looks awesome. I'm trying to sign Santon as I've sold Brown but Inter won't accept my bids which have ranged from £10-20million.

EDIT: Inter has accepted my bid of £22million. But Santon wants £68,000 per week. Which is just crazy, considering he's just what, 18 years old? Should I sign him?

Don't bother. Cesar Azpilicueta is a better, cheaper option.

hi guys started new game as man utd :D In season 2 now :p

players in (£)

S.Asenjo 7.5M

Jerome Boateng (hsv) 7.5 M

Henri Saivet (bosman)

John Fleck 1.7 M

Moussa Sissoko 9.5 M

Diego Bunannotte (spelling?) 6.75M

Victor Moses 2.5 M

Cristian Zapata 12.5 M

Players Out

Darren Fletcher 15M (villa)

Thomas Kuszack 3M (chelsea)

Wes Brown 5.5M (villa)

Rio Ferdinand 35M (R.Madrid)

Piece of advice shall i play VDS or Asenjo in goal ? ?

for a great RB buy Boateng he is class (Y)

Just finished the 2010-11 season and managed to complete the double with a 2-1 extra win over Liverpool in the FA Cup. Rio, of all people, popping up to head in Tosic's free kick in the 97th minute to win it. Arsenal collapsed in the title run, winning only 1 of their last 6 games, allowing us to win the league by 6 points in the end. Unfortunately Barcelona pipped us 1-0 in the CL QF to deny us a shot at the treble.

I rotated a lot over the course of the season but my 1st choice would have looked something like this:

GK. Renan

RB. Rafael

LB. Patrice Evra

CB. Nemanja Vidic

CB. Rio Ferdinand

CM. Joao Moutinho

CM. Anderson

RM. Hatem Ben Arfa

LM. David Silva

AM. Wayne Rooney

CF. Dimitar Berbatov

We managed to have no less that 27 first team goalscorers over the course of the season breaking my old record. Berbatov was my top scorer with 19 but we really managed to share the goals around not relying on any one player.

Ah thanks smithyboy. Yeah Ben Arfa has played very well for me. Because of his two footedness I find that he can do the business from either flank. Silva managed a few more assists but Ben Arfa is usually more dangerous in front of goal as he can hit them off either side. Here's a screenshot to give you an idea of how he did, he's actually a very capable tutor also bumping Ljajic's stats up after a dip:

benarfa.jpg

Hello, just sharing my team beginning season 2011-2012:

GK: Akinfeev, Asenjo, Fiorillo

RB: Azpilicueta, Brown, Santon

LB: Evra, Mattock

CB: Vidic, Evans, Ross Hendrie (not sure if regen or not, forgot), Rodwell

RM: Messi :), Dzagoev, Santon

LM: Tosic, Messi

CM: Anderson, Hargreaves, Adrien, Rodwell, Horwood (Regen)

ST: Rooney, Berbatov, Rossi, Lombardi (Regen)

Won pretty much everything the previous year. Can't wait for the development of the regens and the team would be pretty amazing in my opinion. : )

Major Sells:

Michael Carrick-15m to Juventus in 2010

C Ronaldo- 71m to Real Madrid in 2010

Tevez- 39.5m to Real Madrid in 2010

Ferdinand- 15m to Real Madrid in 2011

Nani- 37m to Barcelona in 2011

Cathcart doesn't look too bad there, but I'd like some better concentration for a CB at 21. He never really progresses beyond those levels for me, so he may be maxed out there, you'll just have to keep any eye on his progress. I've seen him go on to do a decent job for lower to mid-table teams, but never beyond that.

re: Cathcart, he looks very similar in my game at 22. I give him the occasional game now and then - 6 last season. Unfortunately he played very badly in the one league game he featured in. He captained a reserve line-up in a game away to Portsmouth just before the FA Cup Final. We still managed to win but apparently Cathcart made 13 mistakes in the match in comparison to a total of only 9 mistakes in 3 whole domestic cup games. Maybe he doesn't like the responsibility of being captain.

My coaches think he'd be a good CB for most Premier League clubs and still feel he has some improving to do. He is described on his Personal screen as a 'Commanding Centre Back' while Jonny Evans is only a 'Centre Back'. Anyone know why this is? Is the 'Commanding' prefix linked to the Influence stat?

Yeah, on my game as well, he can still improve according to the coaches. I am using Darkstarr training by the way.

Oh and his concentration just increased by one :p. The reason I am going to keep him is because he plays in the national team with Jonny Evans.

Akinfeev is better . But i think that the best keeper is Mandanda.

Can anyone suggest a midfielder to play in a creative role and a midfielder as a destroyer that i can buy in the 5th season in 9.10.

I have carrick, gago, fletcher and pirlo and a couple of developing regens.

I can't buy Fabregas/Toulalan (Arsenal)

Miguel Veloso (Liverpool)

Moutinho(Madrid)

Iniesta is interetsed but Barca won't let him go.

Finished my 3rd season 1st winning it on the last day from chelsea

INS

guiseppe rossi

karim benzema

cesc fabregas

mamadou sakho

sergio asenjo

joe mattock

john fleck

marquinhos

federico laurito

tony kroos

mehmet eckici (sp)

moussa sissoko

frank ribery

diego buonanotte

sofiane feghouli

jerome boateng

over 3 seasons

outs

Michael Carrick-30 mil villa

owen hargreaves 30 mil arsenal

darren fletcher 20 mil arsenal

wayne rooney 40 mil madrid ®

dimitar berbatov 30 mil citeh

nani 30 mil chelsea

VDS 5 mil barca :O

over 3 seasons won 3 x EPL.champo league, super cup 2 x Fa cup community shield 1 x league cup

fairly succesful now got a few wonder kid regens coming through the youth systems and scouting a fair few

and Sidnv buy moussa sissoko absolute beast in the midfield (Y)

Ill try him. Never used him before.

I'm getting jealous of all the people who managed to sign fabregas. I have offered huge amounts of money for him but wenger hates me so he won't sell.

He is really all i need to make my team perfect. That and it would be fun to weaken arsenal.

sissoko at the age of 19 for me was voted players player of the year not young player :)

i bought fabregas by chumming up with wenger then offerin 50 mil they wanted 60 but i got him for 54 :p lol

also dieo buonanotte what a player got a bid of 32 mil from barca i declined :p

Akinfeev is better . But i think that the best keeper is Mandanda.

Can anyone suggest a midfielder to play in a creative role and a midfielder as a destroyer that i can buy in the 5th season in 9.10.

I have carrick, gago, fletcher and pirlo and a couple of developing regens.

I can't buy Fabregas/Toulalan (Arsenal)

Miguel Veloso (Liverpool)

Moutinho(Madrid)

Iniesta is interetsed but Barca won't let him go.

Try them..

Creative midfielder = Nuri Sahin or Morgan Schnerderlin

Midfield destroyer = Lukman Haruna (cultured midfielder which is the same as Miguel Veloso)

I would be willing to do it though I'm aware there are many more active players on this thread than me. In other words, I'll do it if the previous creator of the thread doesn't want to or if no-one more capable wants to do it :)

Mate, please go and post it in that thread itself. The mods will gather all the numbers on Thursday and then make a decision. If you name is not down in that thread, its very likely they'll forget or overlook it completely. Cheers. :thup:

Mate, please go and post it in that thread itself. The mods will gather all the numbers on Thursday and then make a decision. If you name is not down in that thread, its very likely they'll forget or overlook it completely. Cheers. :thup:

Ah right no bother.

Nuri Sahin is interesting. Schnerderlin is at Liverpool. I've never heard of Haruna. Which club does he start with?

I should have signed Nuri Sahin from the 1st season, he should be a talent that could offer a lot. I have only signed him at 2015 and I am surprised that he was still at Dortmund lol. Hope that he is good. And Haruna has been amazing for me, I am struggling on whether to give the MCd slot to Haruna or Veloso as they are quite similar. Take a look on both of them. ;)

Not sure to be honest.

Lost Community Shield 4-2 on pens then played City in 1st League game of the season at Old Trafford - half-time....0-4 down!!!

Came back to draw 4-4 haha! This is going to be an interesting game to say the least!!

Not sure to be honest.

Lost Community Shield 4-2 on pens then played City in 1st League game of the season at Old Trafford - half-time....0-4 down!!!

Came back to draw 4-4 haha! This is going to be an interesting game to say the least!!

which tactic did u resort to?

At half-time, i changed from a 4-4-2 to a 3-2-3-2:

GK - Foster

DC - O'Shea

DC - Evans

DC - Evra

MC - Fletcher

MC - Rooney

RAM - Valencia

CAM - Jovetic

LAM - Vargas

ST - Owen

ST - Berbatov

Took Rio off at half-time as he was having a mare!! And he's just scored an oggie!!

Rooney got 2, Owen got 1 (1st goal back) and Berbatov got 1.

Archived