FM2009 - Official Manchester United Thread - The Home of the Champions

manu legend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a while, but I'm now finished with my 2nd season :D Was a good season.... Only disappointment was the CL finale, David Villa was injured, and I lost 4-3 against Liverpool.

But overall a good season...

season2l.jpg

I scored more goals than last season, but I did also concede more goals... But my strikers did very good;

David Villa: 34 goals 7 assists/37 games.

Samuel Eto'o: 31 goals 10 assists/34 games.

Wayne Rooney: 23 goals 22 assists/55 games.

And Scholes had a fantastic season in his new more attacking midfield role. 21 goals and 15 assists in 55 games! :D

Looking forward to the next season.. I have a few old players who might retire now, might need to bring in replacement for them if they retire.... But otherwise I don't need to bring in any new players I think :)

Hi CPS !

Yes, that is correct :)... 4 defenders, 2 central midfielders, one attacking mid, and 3 strikers. High pressure and short passing game.

My "best" team this season was probably:

Asenjo. - Azpilicueta, Pique, Vidic, Evra. - Fletcher, Anderson. - Scholes. - Rooney, Villa, Eto'o. (and I played Nani/Valencia as wide strikers when I had Villa and Eto'o injured)

Hi CPS !

Yes, that is correct :)... 4 defenders, 2 central midfielders, one attacking mid, and 3 strikers. High pressure and short passing game.

My "best" team this season was probably:

Asenjo. - Azpilicueta, Pique, Vidic, Evra. - Fletcher, Anderson. - Scholes. - Rooney, Villa, Eto'o. (and I played Nani/Valencia as wide strikers when I had Villa and Eto'o injured)

Ok, thanks for the reply, that's a formidable attacking line-up. Nice to see someone using Scholes so effectively also.

can i get anyones thoughts on this guy?

Picture3.png

thinking of retraining him to centre mid but im a bit reluctant because of his long shots and dribbling

also if i do train him to centre mid il buy sakho as Rio is going downhill for me

He looks a great regen. His natural fitness and stamina need improving but his defensive attributes look brilliant for his age. Good pace and acceleration too!

He is fairly small in height, but so is Cannavaro, and look how successful he has been. :D

Picture3.png

thinking of retraining him to centre mid but im a bit reluctant because of his long shots and dribbling

also if i do train him to centre mid il buy sakho as Rio is going downhill for me

make him a DM if you want but not a CM for me ;)

Picture3.png

His defensive stats are great for a youngster could be a world class left back especially if you train him to get forward whenever possible and run with the ball down the left.

Imo i wouldnt retrain him to CM. His Creativity long shots dribbling influence flair and balance are all far too low to be good CM. Playing him there would be a serious waste of a great prospect.

Giggs stats dropped alot now in the begining of the third season... Scholes stats are still decent but his stamina and natural fitness is very poor so he can't play every game... so I might bring in another CM... And Gary Neville is very poor now, but if I sell him I think the fans will be angry at me... plus he can learn/tutor young defenders :)

---

transfer in season 3:

Messi - 39m Euro - Barcelona.

transfers out season 3:

O'shea - 9m - Aston Villa.

Wellbeck - 10m - Siena.

Obertan - 13,5m - Lazio.

Da Leat - 1,4m - Dundee Utd.

(I sold Ferdinand to Real Madrid in January for 30m)

---

My first team squad now:

Asjeno, van der Saar.

Azpilicueta, Neville, Brown, Vidic, Piqué, Sakho, Evra.

Valencia, Messi, Ireland, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs, Nani.

Eto'o, Villa, Rooney.

---

The first season I bought Douglas Costa, but his stats are very poor and he has not improved at all. You think I should keep him? He is only 19-20 and could improve, but I don't think he will...?

Also, Craig Cathart - could he be a solid backup? I'm thinking I could re-train him so that he can play at LB and RB, he can be the new O'shea:D ...he looks promising and he did play decent in the pre-season friendlies....

Picture3.png

Wow, he looks very good :) I would maybe train him to DM, but not CM... Do you play him as CB or LB ?

currently im playing him at CB as vidic is injured and rio is going downhill

i would train him to DM but i dont play with one

so iv decided to give a go at getting him to become a centre mid

i have him on a training schedule which has no defensive or set piece work and concentrates mainly on shooting and ball control

if i can get dribbling and longshots to a decent level il be happy

if this doesnt work out il change his training to ultra defensive and he'll probably become one of the most solid CB's in my game

Well I only got him in Jan - forgot about him completely and he was doing v.well at Inter so had to pay way over the odds >_< Why would you say Kroos is underdeveloped? I only just got him. Munich payed £10.25m and Kroos for Anderson.

Santon

santon.png

Hm...France national team have no coach... I'm thinking of applying for the job there... is it possible to be coach for both France and Man Utd with one manager? ....Or will I get kicked as coach from Man Utd if I apply for the job as France coach?

It's possible to do both. The press will ask if you can keep up the good work etc when you have more to do, but as I said, it's very possible. Not very realistic, though.

New game:

My laptop is in for a service, so I have now installed FM on my desk-top. I chose automatic reputation and ended up as 'unknown manager'. que?

Getting quality midfielders in January is very hard. I am offering teams 114m$ but no one is willing to sell the likes of Fabregas, Veloso(Liverpool), Sneijder, Iniesta. Can anyone suggest a world class creative midfielder or a holding midfielder for that amount of money for 9.1.0.

It's possible to do both. The press will ask if you can keep up the good work etc when you have more to do, but as I said, it's very possible. Not very realistic, though.

Thanks.

Yeah maybe not very realistic, but it's fun :D

I have played this game alot and I never knew that I could coach both a club and a nation with the same manager.. :D

Anyone wanna give suggestions on who to play in my team? I usually play;

Mandanda

Sakho, Corluka, Vidic, Santon

Veloso

Ronaldo, Aguero, Messi

Paulo/Benzema parnetship or Balotelli/Rossi together

manutdteam.png

Heres what Paulo and Tan look like to help;

josepaulo.png

sventan.png

This team is good enough for multiple seasons, so I wanna get the formation and best team possible.

What instructions should I use for Aguero (and Rooney for that matter) I just can't seem to get either scoring like they should be.

So many posts in this thread on this, I'll find the one I posted in a moment!

Rooney -

Low mentality, 12-15 creative freedom, passing mixed/short, forward runs mixed/often, run with ball often, long shots rarely, through balls often, cross ball rarely. You can tick free role, up to you.

I'm looking to bring in Cristian Rodriguez from Porto in the summer to play left midfield (of course) instead of Nani. Although Nani has been playing well I think that Rodriguez may be able to more for my team. He was in the first 11 of the world team of the year, that's why I was drawn to him. Any thoughts?

Archived