The Happy Isles of Oceania: A Journeyman Career in Oceania

abirdc

6Yumvub.gif

The Happy Isles of Oceania: A Journeyman Career in Oceania

Oceania is basically the most neglected part of the world by SI, as there is not a single official Oceanian league available in Football Manager.

However, thanks to wonderful job of classen, the previously unplayable Oceanian leagues are available for us.

The aim of the challenge is simple, win the OFC Champions League, while winning as much as silverware as possible. Just like other journeyman careers, I will start with lowest reputation, zero coaching batch and non-existent playing history.

All the 15 Oceanian leagues created by classen will be loaded. Also, I have decided to start this journey in Micronesia, the worst reputed league available.

HISTORY

Season |      Club      |   Country     |           League            | Pos | Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017   | Outer Islands  |  Micronesia   |   YFA Island Wide League    | 1st | League & Yap Games Winners
2018   |   Tiga Sport   | New Caledonia | New Caledonian Super League | 1st | League & New Caledonian Cup Winners
2019   |   Tiga Sport   | New Caledonia | New Caledonian Super League | 1st | Left, Knocked out of Group Stage in O-League
2019   | Team Wellington|  New Zealand  |   New Zealand Premiership   |10th | Sacked

I will be borrowing this format from Makoto Nakamura.

Z5zSCIUh.png

So here is my profile. I have chosen Peter Esha as my alias, a Micronesian manager with no playing history and no coaching degree. I gave lowest value to all the attributes except "adaptability". I would have actually preferred giving a "1" value to adaptability too to increase the challenge, but the game does not have this option.

Micronesia is one of the underdeveloped part of the world, and you might have already heard about their national football team's exploits. Their under-23 team took part in the 2015 Pacific Games, conceding an unbelievable 114 goals in just 3 matches.

You can watch their match vs Vanuatu here, where they conceded 46 goals.

So, you guys can easily understand, the playing quality of this country. It's gonna be ugly people.

There were 8 jobs available in the league, and I applied for all them. Let's see where my journey begins.

NqPfySF.png

So here I am, starting in the worst reputed league in Oceania. The club name is Outer Islands, or O.I. for short. Unfortunately, I could not find any logo of the club after searching in the internet. So you can understand how obscure the club is.

tthTb0ul.png

The club is amateur, so no money available. The board wants me to finish mid-table.

NZovzg4h.png

Here is the league rule. The league is pretty short, with only 14 matches. After the initial league finishes, the top 4 team then play semi-final. The two winners of semi-final then get into a final match, and whoever wins the final, wins the league.

25 minutes ago, Timetxu said:

Good luck, the more obscure the better! Are you aiming to win the OFC CL with Outer Islands or can it be whoever, as long as you win it? 

No, unfortunately, Micronesian league is not acknowledged by OFC, so they can not take part in OFC CL. I will try to win the league here, and then move on to another country.

I wanted to try out a 343 formation, with 3 strikers, something I never tried before. So I needed to adjust my team, and so made quite a bit of transfers.

IBax25jl.png

The pick of the bunch is goalkeeper Jair Konings, previously unattached. He is the only international capped player of our team, and currently the first choice keeper of Micronesia national team. Seems good right? Well, here is his attributes profile.

2w2CYlkh.png

Well, if he is the best player, then you should understand how the rest of the players are. :cool:

As so many new players were brought in, I also sent some to under 20 team, as I prefer having not too much player in the main squad. While most had no problem, the following two started whining and demanded answers. My answer to them was a middle finger and they were kicked out.

KhPnNqyl.png

Sometimes, I just love amateur clubs!

As long as my players do not get poached by other clubs that is.

9 hours ago, funkybike1 said:

I've done a Micronesia game before. The early years are the hard part. If you can get through them, I wish you good luck!

Honestly, don't plan to stay much long here :lol:

9 hours ago, MikeyJ said:

Look forward to this. I used the Kiribatian league and had to give up as I could not get to build any new stadium, go semi pro or upgrade facilities no matter how hard I tried!

Yeah, I played Kiribatian League in FM 2016. With zero finances, and no place in CL, it's just impossible to upgrade any kind of facility. 

1 hour ago, andychar said:

I would love to sit and watch the "highlights" of one of your games :lol:. Good luck with this. 

Good to see the lesser leagues getting some recognition from this thread and @Dev'o (says the guy currently managing in the English Premier League)

Believe me, you will not like it.  :D It's even an uglier version of Tony Pulis style football. Still, if you wanna see, I have attached a file for you.

Tamil v O.I..pkm

IMKtAxr.png

d5iEgxa.png

As you can see, I am in a bit of trouble. I started with 3-4-3 formation, with 3 strikers. After getting hammered in home by Gagil, I dropped one of the striker to the attacking midfield position. Next match, an away 6-1 win. When I just thought I found the super formula, 3 draws in a row. :mad:

The league will take a break on, for Yap Games. It's the cup equivalent of Micronesia, with the 8 teams divided into 2 groups. Top 2 teams from each group take part in semi final, and the winner gets decided into the final match.

The club's finances are however in shambles. The ground maintenance cost is eating up the club. As a result, the board refuses to pay me for a coaching batch.

H4SF2Tp.png

I just bought the current top scorer of the league, and this is how the fans react.

BCiP17n.png

On the other hand, I changed my tactics. The new tactics seemed to do the trick, as I won four matches out of four, dominating all. This seemed to catch attention from abroad, as this came into my inbox!

Oh, and Selwyn Utd is a club from New Zealand, playing in the third tier.

Bg0nCCJ.png

Ep8YtWj.png

XOlUKLV.png

Another change of tactics. I dropped the CAM to CM position. It seemed to do the trick, as we went on to win all the games in the group stage, and snatched my first silverware.

aVBzh2a.png

Thanks. That will certainly help me to reduce the club debt. :seagull:

evPto63.png

As soon as the league begins, this happens. We lost to a team that we just beat in the Yap Games final, without registering a single shot on target (the goal scored by us was an own goal).

Looks like the league is our kryptonite.

qN70Rr5.png

pSNPIjx.png

7zK1Qk6.png

I must admit that I was lucky. I won the semi-final by virtue of a goal from penalty. And as you can see, two of the opposition players were sent off in the final. I am actually gutted that we weren't able to destroy them. After they were reduced to nine men was, Fanif played with no strikers, something I saw the first time in FM.

Rest of the Fixture

WQ0QvF5.png

kbiSKU8.png

n00MAwz.gif

oDQqBbj.png

eXqDl38.png

dRWcBln.png

22 appearances, 22 goals, with 6 assists. No wonder, the stat chart is filled up with his name. What a season for the 17 year old!

mB9L998.png

Even SI has difficulty explaining the weird league system of the Micronesian League.

q7PABkn.png

Good to see that I have become favorite personnel of the club already, alongside the aforementioned Relio Paul.

As there is no place for Micronesian teams to take part in OFC CL, I understood that I have taken the club as far as I can. So, I began applying for some jobs. Sadly, it seems winning the Micronesian League hardly increased my reputation. Only one club offered me a new job.

Lb2SAiA.png

I persuaded them to delay for 2 weeks, in the hope that I will get better offers. Sadly, none approached me. So, Tiga Sports it is.

9frGHOd.png

h01sy10.png

8FiXVvJ.png

b4TlsVu.png

The little dot you see is Yap Sports Complex, so I am travelling almost 4694km to my new job.

YLeaUXS.png

As Tiga Sports is a club based in Noumea of New Caledonia. This year, they just celebrated their 50 year anniversary. According to FM, they are the third most reputed club of the country, despite the fact that they never won the league. In the previous season in FM, they finished fifth, while they were predicted to be third.

4t83Pbv.png

The facilities are almost as bad as my previous club, only the youth recruitment is an upgrade, from 'limited' to 'basic'.

P3Upi1Q.png

3CQaZV6.png

9psOtul.png

xy5s9lo.png

So, apparently, my 2 best players are two 17 year olds.

tGHlXmp.png

I made quite a bit of signings, as the squad is way off the might of top teams.

5ApaMLh.png

I have high hopes for this guy. Overall decent attributes, young, aerial ability is a worry though.

D4h3smy.png

Another young gun. Will be our free kick taker, and hoping that he would notch some from set pieces this season.

bLFOt4o.png

Will be our main striker. Can certainly run with the ball, and finish, but won't be much of a threat aerially, and his passing is just awful.

37 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

The winners of the Tahiti Cup and New Caledonian Cup qualify for the 7th Round of the French Cup when France is loaded. :) 

Just checked out your thread and found out about it. I added the Ligue 1 from France which would start from July. Thanks man! :)

NeVQOTR.png

Overall a good pre-season. Lost pretty much our toughest 2 matches, which shows we are far from the finished article.

hCTvV5b.png

We are predicted to be second. Never seen any top 5 of league being so close to one another in odds of winning the league.  

cQBJwsk.png

q3jCZjQ.png

So far so good. After half of the season, we are standing in the first position. While I am 6 points more than the second placed team, New Caledonia has a weird system, where for each win you get 4 points, each draw gives you 2 points, and even a loss will yield 1 point. So, none will return home without anything. So, if I slip even a bit, that can cause me the league. Good thing is that, the strongest team As magenta are struggling quite a bit.

vnnqs0j.png

I love this board :applause:

8fpl5Py.png

I have been trying to get this guy from the start of the season, but he was not interested in coming. Finally, I decided to approach him again in the July Transfer Window, and this time he had no problem. This guy is honestly on a different level, and at age 18, he can still improve a lot. Not to mention, snapping him up has helped to weaken a rival of us and we got him on free as he was on a non-contract.

Some quick updates:

2HbcTbd.png

J8TuTj1.png

On a different note, currently sitting in the first position of the league, 10 points on top, with 4 matches remaining. Safe to say, unless my team f***s up really bad, the league is ours.

End of Season 2018

CZy3DSR.png

mpA72bu.png

YcBTyAv.pngD6UqV3d.png

tbCWAG6.png

Ol2r9Lc.png

As you can see, after Micronesia, we did the "doubles" in New Caledonia too. Overall, it was a really fun experience, and the standard of football was way better.

A lot of players were involved in this achievement, however Fans Player of the Season Matias Thomas deserves a special mention. 26 matches, 28 goals. None in New Caledonia were close to him. I just hope he can replicate the same form in my next season.

ZnDP2OD.pngo5oNo6x.png

I forgot to mention, I extended my contract till 2019, so hopefully I can spend 1 more successful year here.

And I forgot to snap a screenshot of youth candidates. I just signed 2 of them, as youth candidates cost 25 pound per week, quite a bit for club like us. So I only signed 2 players this time. Their profile page:

Vhz6iBz.png

w0X0ypp.png

Alain Lemiere should get some minutes in the next season, considering how good he already is.

22 minutes ago, Kiwi Manager said:

Love the story mate! A great read so far. 

You're inspiring me to start in some of the lower leagues - I normally just start with the A-League and go from there but a lower New Zealand or Australia league sounds like the go! 

Same here. Think I’m going to start a journeyman save in NZ regional leagues and work my way up.

4 hours ago, Kiwi Manager said:

Love the story mate! A great read so far. 

You're inspiring me to start in some of the lower leagues - I normally just start with the A-League and go from there but a lower New Zealand or Australia league sounds like the go! 

Thanks man! That will be really a great save, you can try out to win the A-League or the New Zealand Football Championship, and then the Asian or OFC Champions League.

4 hours ago, Mushtaq said:

Same here. Think I’m going to start a journeyman save in NZ regional leagues and work my way up.

Good luck with that. :D

Season 2019 Pre Season

pMhZaJ9.png

Because of our reputation upgrade after winning the doubles last season, we are now predicted to be second in the league in the media.

Fo2fry5.png

o4fEiWY.png

Not much of transfer action this season. Elias Richard however will be a first choice CB hopefully. The rest are backup options.

Among the two loan outs, Joris Pibike had an awful season last year. The poacher scored only 2 goals, and maybe missed 200 chances. On the other hand, Gullot wanted an improved contract, with huge wage, something I wasn't prepared to give to a backup player. They are shipped out, and I am just hoping they will be flops.

5PxAI7Z.png

Pre-season was really awesome. I hope the players can carry on this form to the season itself.

zIn43vU.png

exgCNQK.png

As soon as I drew with Team Wellington, I knew that I had an outside chance to qualify. As you can see, we were pretty close, beating Papua New Guinean champion Besta PNG Utd, and drawing with Team Wellington. Matis Thomas continued his incredible form, scoring 5 goals in 3 matches, including a hat-trick against the New Zealandian side.

Archived