Cosmos - Shooting for the stars!

Bood

Ello All

Well, having been spurred on by the excellence of @Jupjamie and his never ending quest in San Marino, I thought I would try one myself. I havent played fm games seriously for quite some time, not since its was considered cheating to sign Maxim Tsigalko, (but we all did it though, he was just that good!) But I have always been one for trying the impossible, and this relates to the earliest challenge I set myself as far as I can remember, which was winning the premier league with Stalybridge Celtic on Premier Manager 2 using just development players.

Now I dont know how much I can tread on jupjamies toes, but i do love his spreadsheet layout, so I have started doing one of these for myself, and if its ok with him, will post on here too.

Now what I have done differently, 1stly I have chose Cosmos, for 2 reasons, 1, they are the worst side on the other side of the San Marino league system to San Giovanni, and 2. they are called Cosmos! its just asking for a shedload of spacey type puns!

2ndly, I am starting with a youth team, so at the start of the game I am releasing all the players (except 1 16 year old, as he looks ok, and well, is 16) and signing the grey players in the squad and u19s that appear on a free.

I will play the 1st couple of games, and if it goes terrible, I will holiday to the 1st Youth Intake day, sign them all, and then holiday to the start of next season. 

Lets see how it goes. :D

Well, the 1st problem i find is...

9d9d0478cd06399e6f64d7e5844ae57c.png

Grey players are not very..... versatile, all one role, no dm or am's. Basic 4-4-2 for the moment then I guess.

Here is the highest ability grey player.

42ad6c4eee265626f0b1ded4b4547ee4.png

Not alot to work with :D

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Jupjamie said:

Good luck! Really excited to follow this :D 

Cheers guys, I lost my 1st 6 games, some heavily, whilst playing defensive, so go on holiday it is!

2016-17 Season Review

League: Last

Cup: 1st round

Other Teams: All San Marino teams lost in 1st round in Europe

One season in, build up season as expected, so nothing to note, didnt worry about posting the new kids, as they were all top prospects compared to the crap I currently have. We (me and the assistant manager) only won one game all season, in the cup, lost every league game lol. Still have a job though, and was able to upgrade Junior Coaching, so all good!

4c3d5a5f7a3e4b805263c2a39932824d.png

2017-2018 Season Review

League: 5th of 8

Cup: 1st round

Other teams: Again all useless - will elaborate more on these if necessary, or when I get to Europe myself.

2018-2019 Season Review

League: 4th of 8

Cup: 1st round (nearly made it through)

Other teams: Turd.

So 2nd season i played about half, my target was to not finish bottom, got to the point where i knew that wasnt gonna happen, and where I couldnt finish top 3 and holidayed the rest. 18-19 season saw some good progress, still missing players in certain positions I want, but all in all, progress has been made. Youth Intakes again are nothing special atm, just more squad filling... Need an AMC to at least complete the team, as the ones I have atm are still terrible.

d1d7a7c9d11c1a89e32b5611891ea02c.png

7 minutes ago, Bood said:

One of the Youth Players I got:

0a17bb7755802ab8fa7084442e4ac28c.png

5'3" and I think at least 4 foot of that is his forehead :lol:

San Marino's version of Gervinho lol 

2019-2020 Season review

Competitions:

1bb1e4df4fcdac7c800e43dc0c80e1bc.png

Other Teams: all crap again, they need me in there :D

Alot of bad luck early on, so tried tinkering with formations, not so much luck. 

Youth Intake was not so good as far as I can see. Time will tell though, as its still the case that every intake has PA of 5* so I am not sure if they are good or pants. The lack of tutoring I guess is a drawback too, will be a good few seasons before I can do that.

Junior Coaching is going well too...

3ee061c13dbebf0412c153a42c36404d.png

2020-2021 Season Review

Competitions, Last in both... forgot the screenies, getting used to this lol, managed to lose 7-1 to Virtus as well, a little embarrassing

Team taking shape...

NOW.. onto 

2021-2022 Season Review

Competitions:

6ebacc3560d08f072f27f92b61b46c6d.png

The board wanted me to finish mid table, I woulda finished higher in the other league (for those who dont know the san marino league system, dont ask, its just far too complex!) My biggest problem was scoring goals though.. So many 0-0s, my team was screaming out for at least one striker, then the kids arrived in february for Youth Intake... and this fella was one of them.

88ac30017e02e97e453d11cde38fe23a.png

This guy, compared to my other strikers, is out of this world (#spacepun). For comparison purposes, the best striker I had before this intake was Diego Molina (see the comparison list to the side) so I got my best 3 this run. Sadly I didnt make Europe, so keeping hold of these guys for another year is gonna be tough, especially as his 17th bday is just before the January window, thats gonna be harsh. Here is my current squad.

3270f6aca0435e45b9f2ad06582f1dfd.png

Next season I gotta qualify for the next stage of the league, but really Europe is what i need. Our teams all did bad again btw.

ad86b98d1883b3f05c90b11106a2cebe.png

Last 3 years, I got rejected for Junior and said, "I thought we was on the same wavelength" and they turned the decision around.

1 minute ago, Jupjamie said:

That striker is immense!

Yea... Hes got 2 San Marino caps already, not even played a league game for me yet.. Really hope to keep hold of him.

10 goal in seven games for Mina, then this happens early November

5d23333fefb3de08b7edc68dc9e7c0d1.png

I think I am more happy with this than I really should be, as this will be him injured through the january transfer window... Could be key for me keeping him.

13 hours ago, Bood said:

10 goal in seven games for Mina, then this happens early November

5d23333fefb3de08b7edc68dc9e7c0d1.png

I think I am more happy with this than I really should be, as this will be him injured through the january transfer window... Could be key for me keeping him.

Pay someone to injure him so he can't force a move for a few months so no one will want him. 4D Chess...

Ok time for a  few seasons update: I smash for a few season as I wanted to get into Europe and tbh, the game was being a bitch,

Season 2022-23 Review

So another season of nothingness, Lost in the cup to Fiorentino and in the league in the knockout stage. 

Season 2023-24 Review

More frustrating, knockout of on penalties in both competiton, both to Fiorentino, and both after dominating the match. Fiorentino are not my favourite team

Season 2024-25 Review

Ok, firstly apologies for the crap 2 updates above.

Now this season, I had a look at my squad, and decided to switch to a 4-3-3, basic old school formation, but seemed to fit in all my best players well (one of the fun things about this challenge imo is the necessity to build a formation around your players, not buy players to fit your formation) Straight away I noticed Mina (the dude above) wasnt roaming so much and staying more around the centre of the pitch. Also knowing my squad was the best in the league I went attacking mentality. The goals started flying in. Most games I scored over 3 goals, so I thought this season I would end my Europe hoodoo and finally get in (I needed to, another year out and I would be heavily in debt), Here is an example of one of my games.

a1dedf46c787e7a3775978c225f40de3.png

So I walked my side of the league, and strolled into the cup final, against Tre Penne, a team I dont generally lose to so should be a Europa place... and yea....

dcd9fc5201de5c8b5835c3f9e4f8cea0.png

2 shots on target, 2 goals... Here we go again.

Now the league knockout, got the the Major Semi Final (lol, major), beat Virtus with ease, but... Mina gets injured for 2 months...:( In comes the grey star striker Molina for the final, replacing my 31 goals in 29 games striker, for the biggest match for me yet... Facing Folgore, who have a good record against me....

cae73db592ad77c9d631ae03bc733f01.png

:D

Finally I am into Europe, a brace for all 3 of my strikers, including Molina.

As for the other SM teams, they havent proceeded in any round yet.

37c6118739ba3ce13dd239d2d86b7502.png

As you can see my finances were getting low, I was actually minus before the cup final.

Sure!

Mina

And heres my other 2 forwards

Valentini

Giannini

Mina hasnt improved much, probably because A. he has a ***** Personality, and B. he is injury prone. Plus im still semi pro, I guess that doesnt help. I havent had any bids at all for Mina... never got one.

Season 2025-26 Review

League 

Another Final where I dominated and lost... League went well, went on holiday from February till the knockouts as was so far clear. THIS was my 1st game of the season.... 

Cup 

I think I used my luck up in the cup final, 120th minute penalty awarded to me.

Not a bad season, at least I have European football again, but the 1st round ties in Europa can be very harsh. the 4-3-3 is working amazing in the league, i basically have 3 star forwards, and the rest are not great. 

All the other Sammarinese teams lost in Europe.

Youth Intake

Zanotti the only real worthwhile one here.

Sooo at least another European run incoming. And the finances are better, was finally able to relay the pitch, the oppo have been moaning about it since my 1st season!

c7a24a5e94db1427779d3496609510b0.png

Next Season, win the league again, and hopefully get a nice draw in Europe

So yea... 

2383eca96aa137f1e42b6e9e95e2e3b7.png

Off to Iceland.... (I actually went to Iceland this weekend, they have a huge tub of popcorn for sale for cheap atm, well worth it!)

A quick question, my board are unhappy with me because "the clubs stature has diminished since you took over", anyone know why this is? I can't really find a definitive answer.

1 hour ago, Bood said:

A quick question, my board are unhappy with me because "the clubs stature has diminished since you took over", anyone know why this is? I can't really find a definitive answer.

Check your club's reputation, maybe it has dropped for some reason?

5 minutes ago, Kubson said:

Check your club's reputation, maybe it has dropped for some reason?

It has always been 0.5* as far as I can see, unless I am missing something. I dunno.

1 minute ago, Bood said:

It has always been 0.5* as far as I can see, unless I am missing something. I dunno.

You can't see it, because it's low anyway, there's an arrow near reputation, which shows whether it's dropping or going up

Season 2026-2027 Review

League Easy ride, lots of goals

Cup Close, but my 1st Double

Youth Intake Not bad, not ideal positions but beggars cant be choosers. 

Francini This fella looks good, but I dont need a good right back, as I already have one, still, good back up etc.

De Luca Not bad, but don't use wingers at the moment, although I may have to change tactics for Europe

Selva Back Up Goalie, looks good enough.

Overview

So overall a decent season, Was glad to get through 1 round of Europa league as that can be tricky and need the co-eff points atm. My 1st double was pleasing enough. 

A couple of other points of note:

1. Stadium Upgrade We have been granted planning permission for a new stadium, which should hopefully help revenue a bit. Not sure of upgrades as yet, will find that out soon.
  2. Bacciocchi Had our 1st player leave to move to a bigger league, my 5 star  giant of a central defender, shame. But I guess it shows progress, off to Croatia he goes, will be tracking his progress.

Facilities, Finances and Rep Going up!

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for not updating this that much, have really been enjoying the save, so will give you a quick recap of the last couple (ahem lol) of years.

1stly, heres how I have done in the competitions:

Domestic Competitions

Champions League

Europa League

Progress was slow at 1st, then a crazy earlier than expected run to the Europa groups really helped me out financially. A few bad years recently sent the league falling down the rankings and me into red financially, till my second (very well timed) Europa run. No major progress in the League stage as yet, but I fell at the moment I have the best team I have had so far, which brings me to...

Squad:

Goalkeeper:

Luis Di Filippo I have always been lucky with keepers, when one retires I always seem to have a good one in reserve.

Full Backs

Mattia Bernardi 

Matteo Marani weak link 1

Centre Backs:

Claudio Rosti This kid came in my last intake, and i really needed a centre back too.

Simone Poggioli doesnt even compare... weak link 2

Centre Midfield: (2 of these play)

Gabriele Muccioli Great player who I also retrained to be my sub (maybe main soon) striker, you will see why soon. Keeps asking to leave, i transfer list him by his request, then 6 months later he retracts it, 

Matteo Canini Another youngster who is getting better, recently made my main team 

Paolo Bacciocchi as above

Christian Terenzi A veteran at 25 lol, penalty king.

Wingers:

Matteo Ceccoli great player for me, again has asked to leave before but has since retracted it.

Simone Florio Hasnt ever really improved from youth, shame.

Forwards:

Davide Moroni At the moment, the future of our front line.

and last but by no means least Andrea Giannini club legend, club record scorer, formed a formidable partnership with Mina, but now as you can see, is old, Wont get much more out of him sadly, although still scores frequently, as you can see.

I am playing 4-2-4 and it really works, im no good at setting up OI's etc so i leave that to the coaches.

Finances looking pretty at the moment.

Facilities after getting the Junior Coaching up, i went all in for training facilities, I am happy where it is at at the moment so will let finances rise for a bit, maybe push for a new stadium, as i fill this one frequently

A few other bits from my history:

Mina my first great player, never let me down, would still be my top scorer if he didnt retire before I wanted him to.

Job Offer Couldnt take it, would have felt like a traitor!

The most ironic player ever I mean, look at this guy, he is facking awesome, hes got great figures everywhere, hes Manuel Tini.... and he is 5'3".. useless, had to release him as he never performed, and got moody... shortarse.

Best Eleven All fair enough... except for Amadori, who got sent off TWENTY SIX times for me, before I sold him as he was peeing me off too much.

MTCnM1y.png

fFSJHeq.png

Shame, that was a really nice group to be in, the last hadjuk game could really have gone either way, and if luck was on my side, i would have finished, second, still an amazing season in europe, not overrun in any game.

• 2 weeks later...

The year is 2053... having reached the europa cup group stages 3 out of 5 years, i was in my highest coefficient position ever , and after beating dinamo tbilisi in the 2nd round of the champs cup I found myself seeded for the 3rd round, and drew Maccabi Tel Aviv, (all the teams were very beatable except partizan who I avoided.) 

Easily dispatched them 5-1 on aggregate.

So the Play Off round and not seeded, the possible teams were of Dinamo, Malmo, FC Kobenhavn, Austria Wien and Steaua Bucharest, I drew Wien..... 

A8EZM8m.png

Wow!

1st leg deserved victory, second leg my Goalie got MOTM, when does that ever happen! I'm in the Champions League proper ! Instantly get 1.7 million for winning that match, then 10 million for making it to the group stages!

2 years running!!

This year we drew Basel in the playoff, who always beat us:

iekW9gT.png

Defensive football for the win, 2 absolutely dire games, and the worst penalty shoot out ever (as you can see there it was 1-1 after the first 5 each), but I couldnt give a monkeys! 

wsBYFM4.png

h82iY9A.png

As soon as I drew this group I thought this outcome maybe possible, Bayern and Sevilla beat us and the greeks home and away, and it left just us and Panathinaikos to fight out the last spot. We drew the 1st match away, which led me to look up how qualification works, and in head to head, away goals count, even in the group stages, so even when we went 1-0 up, if they scored we would likely go out, due to the 7-0. When we got the second, i went contain and saw out the minutes. Last match was an instant result lol.

So yea, Im still in Europe, and as you can see, this has been the flukiest run ever, an away goals win (I underestimated Zilnius and went all out attack, which was nearly my downfall there), the Basel penalties, and a lucky group, although the Panathinaikos games were a deserved draw and a deserved win.

Europa, 1st knockout opponents....

AiJth8U.png

Maybe.... the run continues?

Also for @Jupjamie, got to 1st January, season after my 1st Qualification for Champs League and no upgrade, still Limited.... looks like it is stuck there, and the manual change is the only way.

FTH5nuG.png

The dream run is over, but not without a fight and another draw, Which left me with 8.725 co-effs for the year, crazy amount. And another stadium being built, one in my name :)

@Jupjamie They done it! again no announcement..... fack.... I can promise you I havent editted anything (havent even bought the editor lol) 

tZvq0qu.png

The league ranking reached a high of 54th, and Cosmos have reached a new high of 76th after reaching the europa group stages again. Also something of note, is the end of the season, we had a new Chairman take over.

9 hours ago, Bood said:

@Jupjamie They done it! again no announcement..... fack.... I can promise you I havent editted anything (havent even bought the editor lol) 

tZvq0qu.png

The league ranking reached a high of 54th, and Cosmos have reached a new high of 76th after reaching the europa group stages again. Also something of note, is the end of the season, we had a new Chairman take over.

That's great news :D 

Archived