Help with Sarri's Napoli tactic

Napoli arguably have played the best football in Serie A over the past two years since Maurizio Sarri took over in 2015. According to this article from spielverlagerung, http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/04/08/team-analysis-napoli/, Napoli play a possession-based game, and a key feature is the use of sideways and backwards passes deep in build-up, which invites the opposition to press them, and then using the space this creates through quick and short vertical and diagonal passes. They have a strong presence in both half-spaces, although Insigne of the left comes inside more often whilst Callejon is more aggressive in his movements and looks to get in behind. Below is the shape I'm trying to recreate. Although this is their team from the 15/16 season, the team hasn't changed that much apart from Mertens starting up front. Napoli are also impressive when defending, and employ an option-orientated zonal marking system, covering key areas of the pitch, which usually results in clean turnovers of possession and quick transitions to attack. I've also attached the base tactic I'm starting with. I'm hoping that a much lower tempo will draw the opposition out to press, creating space in between the lines. Any help will be appreciated. :)

Napoli.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 14.49.16.png

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, poobington said:

I have actually recreated this tactic quite succesfully I think. I am in the process of writign somethingup so will post here when its ready.

Awesome! I won the first 10 league games but our form has tailored off since, still top of the league by a point. Looking forward to your tactic :thup:

43 minutes ago, JavierChicharito14 said:

Bump!

It's kind of difficult to replicate their style  becoz the dangerous part of Napoli is they increase the tempo suddenly !

F9 seems more realistic but CF(s) is better in FM 

The tempo is very difficult to get right - I've gone for much lower tempo in order to draw the opposition in thus creating space for quick passing. At times our football is too laboured so will experiment with other tempo settings.

P.S. Thanks for giving this a bump, top man :D

3 minutes ago, jc577 said:

The tempo is very difficult to get right - I've gone for much lower tempo in order to draw the opposition in thus creating space for quick passing. At times our football is too laboured so will experiment with other tempo settings.

P.S. Thanks for giving this a bump, top man :D

No problem haha coz I wanna recreate the system too ! 

Maybe I will open a new save with Napoli just to test different settings . 

Some references

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLPQSF7I7Gk

https://runningtheshowblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/19/analysing-napolis-attacking-play-against-torino-as-mertens-shine/

This is a topic of great interest to me! Hope somebody comes up with something that emulates the style, whilst also giving good results.

I'm going to give it a shot aswell, and here are, what I consider, key instructions that I will start out playing with:

Shorter passing: As a team instruction, this will decrease passing length across the team. Has the added benefit of decreasing space between the players to allow quick, precise and short passing sequences. As a sidenote, I plan on giving key creative players PIs of more risky and direct passing to maximize "killerball" potential in the final third. Definitely the Mertens, Insigne and Hamsik role. Potentially the Jorginho role too (don't want to overdo it though).

Dribble less: A big part of Napoli's philosophy is passing > dribbling.

Roam from positions: I think this is necessary to create the free flowing pass-and-move style play that we see from Napoli. Also, with shorter passing and less dribbling, movement becomes very important for creating chances.

A note on tempo too: I don't love the idea of decreasing the tempo. The way I see it, Napoli draw out the opponents by lots of quick and "redundant" passes. My assumption is that very low tempo will make the players dwell on the ball too much and take away from the pass-and-move potential.

Another idea for drawing out the opponents could be the Retain Possesion instruction instead of shorter passing. Might look into that later.

3 minutes ago, Jakob8b said:

This is a topic of great interest to me! Hope somebody comes up with something that emulates the style, whilst also giving good results.

I'm going to give it a shot aswell, and here are, what I consider, key instructions that I will start out playing with:

Shorter passing: As a team instruction, this will decrease passing length across the team. Has the added benefit of decreasing space between the players to allow quick, precise and short passing sequences. As a sidenote, I plan on giving key creative players PIs of more risky and direct passing to maximize "killerball" potential in the final third. Definitely the Mertens, Insigne and Hamsik role. Potentially the Jorginho role too (don't want to overdo it though).

Dribble less: A big part of Napoli's philosophy is passing > dribbling.

Roam from positions: I think this is necessary to create the free flowing pass-and-move style play that we see from Napoli. Also, with shorter passing and less dribbling, movement becomes very important for creating chances.

A note on tempo too: I don't love the idea of decreasing the tempo. The way I see it, Napoli draw out the opponents by lots of quick and "redundant" passes. My assumption is that very low tempo will make the players dwell on the ball too much and take away from the pass-and-move potential.

Another idea for drawing out the opponents could be the Retain Possesion instruction instead of shorter passing. Might look into that later.

Go for it mate, looking forward to your input! 

The reason why I didn't use shorter passing was for two reasons: 

1.I didn't want to limit players passing options --> if there's a direct pass on then go for it.

2. Due to the team shape I'm using (very fluid) a lot of passes will be short naturally due to being more vertically compact. 

Tempo was something I was very unsure of. The idea behind it was an attempt at drawing the opposition in, creating space for quicker and more direct passes but I see where you're coming from. Will experiment with a normal tempo for sure. I think it's worth pointing out that a much lower tempo on 'control' mentality will be around lower to normal on a standard mentality, so in reality it isn't that slow. 

8 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Go for it mate, looking forward to your input! 

The reason why I didn't use shorter passing was for two reasons: 

1.I didn't want to limit players passing options --> if there's a direct pass on then go for it.

2. Due to the team shape I'm using (very fluid) a lot of passes will be short naturally due to being more vertically compact. 

Tempo was something I was very unsure of. The idea behind it was an attempt at drawing the opposition in, creating space for quicker and more direct passes but I see where you're coming from. Will experiment with a normal tempo for sure. I think it's worth pointing out that a much lower tempo on 'control' mentality will be around lower to normal on a standard mentality, so in reality it isn't that slow. 

Good point about tempo, if you are playing at a higher mentality lowering the tempo might be a good idea.

Like I said, I'm gonna try shorter passing and if I remember correctly, that actually lowers the tempo a bit too.

Thats my approach right now

Standard Very Fluid

Retain Possession+ Higher Tempo : Wanna replicate the quick ping-pong one touch pass . With Retain Possession , players wont play too much killer pass .  

Dribble Less + Roam From Positions :Pass and Move , Create half space 

3 CM , one of them 'Play more risky pass'   - Hamsilk's role, play forward killer pass 

Another CM  Play more direct Pass - Jorginho 's role, Switch flanks  

Pass Combination , I use 2 CM(S) and CM(D) instead 

https://i.gyazo.com/b33fd8eaf996476ad217dba65445207b.png

3 hours ago, JavierChicharito14 said:

Thats my approach right now

Standard Very Fluid

Retain Possession+ Higher Tempo : Wanna replicate the quick ping-pong one touch pass . With Retain Possession , players wont play too much killer pass .  

Dribble Less + Roam From Positions :Pass and Move , Create half space 

3 CM , one of them 'Play more risky pass'   - Hamsilk's role, play forward killer pass 

Another CM  Play more direct Pass - Jorginho 's role, Switch flanks  

Pass Combination , I use 2 CM(S) and CM(D) instead 

https://i.gyazo.com/b33fd8eaf996476ad217dba65445207b.png

How have your results been?

Just seen this thread, I saw a few of Napoli's games last season in UCL on Tv. The way I see their set up is, Attacking/Fluid, Insigne and Callejon I would have as IF(S), Hamsik AP(A). Jorginho as DLP(D) and for Ghoulam and Hysaj I would set them up as FB(S).

As for the Team Instructions, I would watch a few games on YouTube to see their style etc.. Shorter Passing is defiantly one.

This is what I've got so far.. it's getting results but we're not creating that many chances.. any ideas? 

Key PI's: SK - Distribute quickly, distribute to CB's

IF's: Get Further Forward

Hamsik: More direct & more risky passes, get further forward

Mertens: Move into channels

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 12.44.44.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 12.44.54.png

I've literally read tons of articles/watched loads of videos and still can't get close to it :( Getting the team to win isn't a problem (we're 4 points clear) but i'm not seeing the free flowing, aggressive possession game Napoli play. Possession is a lot more laboured and we struggle to create chances.

46 minutes ago, bdixon said:

looks good, personally I'm using AP(S) for Hasmik role and CF(S) for Mertens.

Doesn't an APs have hold position? I know IRL Hamsik drifts over to the right a lot to create overloads which is why I settled on a RPM. I've been flickering between CFs and DLFa for Mertens, mainly because he's stopped scoring recently but could be a form issue rather than tactical. 

5 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Doesn't an APs have hold position? I know IRL Hamsik drifts over to the right a lot to create overloads which is why I settled on a RPM. I've been flickering between CFs and DLFa for Mertens, mainly because he's stopped scoring recently but could be a form issue rather than tactical. 

No, only 2 PIs AP(S) have are shoot less often and more risky passes. I may try a few games with RPM and compare.

Its an interesting topic, and I received a tactic from someone to use on GCFC's FM Tactics show on my youtube channel where he is using a Sarri system, I have already done the first episode, created one version of the tactic in the 2nd episode, not entirely convinced that its the right one just yet, working on another version now.

3 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Its an interesting topic, and I received a tactic from someone to use on GCFC's FM Tactics show on my youtube channel where he is using a Sarri system, I have already done the first episode, created one version of the tactic in the 2nd episode, not entirely convinced that its the right one just yet, working on another version now.

Yes, I had seen the video this morning and found myself agreeing with some of the things you were saying. Looking forward to the next video.

I have done 3 shows on this, my third show is the one I was happiest with, the movement, off the ball, getting my "Insigne" role to basically go from flanks to drifting to the central parts of the pitch, even getting my "Hamsik" role to get into the box. I won't say its perfect but I won't complain with a 4-1 win away at West Ham with our striker bagging a hat trick, the "insigne" a goal and assist and the "Callejon" with an assist, and should have scored a tap in. The show will be out in a few days, for us we played in a 4-5-1 configuration, with a few PIs.

We used the CD instead of the BPD because the BPD has risky passes on. All 3 versions won, but this last one was the one that was dominant, and had the most SOTs. For me the key lies in creating overloads on the left flank for us to pull players around with our Mertens, Insigne and Hamsik coalition.  We also played on Control and Flexible. I will put the full details in the video. My version against Swansea  was "bah"...wasn't thrilled at it. I wanted to create something similar along the lines of what I did in FM15. 

Whats really funny is check out the times for my strikers goals.

Goals.thumb.jpg.2d666d329f5aba333de7dc54f04f111b.jpgTactic.thumb.jpg.2bdff04207843d9aa513f71e186f23b4.jpg

23 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I have done 3 shows on this, my third show is the one I was happiest with, the movement, off the ball, getting my "Insigne" role to basically go from flanks to drifting to the central parts of the pitch, even getting my "Hamsik" role to get into the box. I won't say its perfect but I won't complain with a 4-1 win away at West Ham with our striker bagging a hat trick, the "insigne" a goal and assist and the "Callejon" with an assist, and should have scored a tap in. The show will be out in a few days, for us we played in a 4-5-1 configuration, with a few PIs.

We used the CD instead of the BPD because the BPD has risky passes on. All 3 versions won, but this last one was the one that was dominant, and had the most SOTs. For me the key lies in creating overloads on the left flank for us to pull players around with our Mertens, Insigne and Hamsik coalition.  We also played on Control and Flexible. I will put the full details in the video. My version against Swansea  was "bah"...wasn't thrilled at it. I wanted to create something similar along the lines of what I did in FM15. 

Whats really funny is check out the times for my strikers goals.

Goals.thumb.jpg.2d666d329f5aba333de7dc54f04f111b.jpgTactic.thumb.jpg.2bdff04207843d9aa513f71e186f23b4.jpg

Very interesting Rashidi, can't wait for the video to be uploaded. How comes you opted for a flexible team shape? Especially since you're using a RMD i thought you would have at least gone fluid to try and drag him back.

I don't normally play RMD with fluid shapes ( having said that I have played them there, but...), prefer, flexible or structured with them. I wanted the divergence in mentality cos on transitions he would break off first, it would give me options down the right, so that the playmakers can pass to him. Gonna can the second show, since its not aired yet...may keep it around, but feel this is a bit more relevant.

26 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I don't normally play RMD with fluid shapes ( having said that I have played them there, but...), prefer, flexible or structured with them. I wanted the divergence in mentality cos on transitions he would break off first, it would give me options down the right, so that the playmakers can pass to him. Gonna can the second show, since its not aired yet...may keep it around, but feel this is a bit more relevant.

Makes sense, i guess the whole point of a RMD is being able to break away quickly during offensive transitions. My take on Sarri is rather different but that's the beauty of the game :thup: Look forward to the video when it's released

A lot of people going for control mentality but in order to draw the opposition press towards your defence, wouldn't lower mentality be the way to go? I think counter mentality would be a good place to start. Tempo is the hard part because they change the tempo quite suddenly. If you can draw the opposition in you may be able to trigger the counter mechanism which would be perfect but I can see it being very hard to do so regularly. I'll be quite surprised if anyone can get this working very similar to IRL.

2 hours ago, NabsKebabs said:

A lot of people going for control mentality but in order to draw the opposition press towards your defence, wouldn't lower mentality be the way to go? I think counter mentality would be a good place to start. Tempo is the hard part because they change the tempo quite suddenly. If you can draw the opposition in you may be able to trigger the counter mechanism which would be perfect but I can see it being very hard to do so regularly. I'll be quite surprised if anyone can get this working very similar to IRL.

That's what I thought but Napoli move the ball very quickly and a counter mentality is just too slow. It's definitely a challenge to get it right, I can get results but not sure how similar the tactic is to real life.

If you play on a lower mentality you will struggle through the transitions. In fact most people don't view the match on full which I do when replicating.

The highlights only show you points, I want to see entire passages of play and you can draw teams in playing on control. Remember that drawing teams out for  press can happen anywhere and Napoli almost always play near the opponents half.

I am not saying it's impossible to do it but I wouldn't go as low as counter, thats a defensive line that will play in your half when Napoli really play near the halfway line and draw teams out from the 25yard line and out. They have several pressing triggers for opponents to exploit, when their defenders have the ball and when the mids have the ball.

most of the creative play happens the moment the mids get involved. That's how I see it happening at the moment, nearly finished need to post the show up, and it should be up tomorrow

The challenge for most is that they watch the game on extended highlights, I had to watch moments of the  the game on full, ouch. Ok so the match is being uploaded and so is the tactic. Essentially, the system is already set with us usually playing on Control/Flexible. But if I want to slow things down a lot more I go Standard/Flexible. So I basically toggle between the two if I have a tough away match.

At home we played control flex 

Controlflex.thumb.jpg.4bfc84cc5004225c3264fc5baa7f70bd.jpg

And then away from home against Dortmund who started well, I had to take control and went standard flexible

StandardFlex.thumb.jpg.4e3e793aebb362fbc5159737014feb36.jpg

When I upload the tactic it will have the Standard/Flex configuration, these are the base OIs. I tweak the mids to shut out usually the more creative one with closing down instructions. I am selective with this. When I do the video I will explain the rationale for my choices, it isn't perfect, and I need to tell my Hamsik role not to dribble cos he can't dribble.

599b1b321c332_TacticSarri.thumb.jpg.72ceb0144914aac3adcff60f80d3d1c6.jpgOIs.thumb.jpg.121e1decac7e3c3c3e9aafd7ef85206f.jpg

Haven't quite got them playing Sarriball yet, but the outcome has been pretty effective nonetheless.

599b55852684a_ScreenShot2017-08-21at21_19_19.thumb.png.69df7c9544ccefbce64e16e3232e3386.png

In terms of @Jakob8b's suggestion of three fundamental's, they're probably the things to experiment with next.

Roam from Positions - 5 of my front 6 have this hard-coded to their role, so would selecting it as a TI encourage too much of a free-for-all if added on top?

Dribble Less - Don't have this selected, mainly due to the results above. Playing against better teams might encourage more experiments though. Tried playing with Dribble More in pre-season and the team played very direct, the front 3 attacking space at pace without waiting for the midfield. 

Shorter Passing - Have this selected, but haven't tried Retain Possession yet. Seems like a nice balance but haven't yet got them playing Sarri's rapid back and forwards passing. Training multiple players to add Plays One-Twos PPM. Currently dominating possession and chances though.

Anyway, this is the system at the moment (although Allan plays BBM, rather than CM).

599b585b46a19_ScreenShot2017-08-21at01_00_53.thumb.png.64076fce06566805e119b7667a6e2bcc.png599b586e25084_ScreenShot2017-08-21at01_01_17.thumb.png.8909dd1cd3974a7649b8e508990888bb.png 

I'm not entirely sure how we've kept 8 clean sheets in 10 games, seeing as my CB's have pretty much no cover (Jorginho also has Get Further Forward as a PI). It seems to work though, or at least I haven't come across a team able to exploit it yet. Goals come from all over, 9 from the first choice midfield trio, and Giovinco is my Mertens with 9 in 7.

A 7pt lead and +25 GD after 8 league games feels like I've stumbled across a game-breaker though! Wheels will no doubt come off shortly.

599b59ace84e4_ScreenShot2017-08-21at22_38_33.thumb.png.b3172d65846ea8e7a2b5c99d8e77fdcf.png

Looks good mate, impressive results. 8 Clean sheets in 10 is astounding especially considering you have double attack duties on each flank - the press must be very effective. With my tactic we're winning a lot of games (beat Bayern home & away in the champions league) but feels like our possession is defensive as we're not creating that many chances. May experiment with removing 'dribble less' and 'retain possession' + adding an attack duty and see if this improves things.

22 minutes ago, bdixon said:

I've went the same route Rashidi has and are using roles which don't have dribble more built in.

played a game last night where we broke the 1000 passes mark with 3 players over 120 each. 

What was the score?

11 hours ago, jc577 said:

Looks good mate, impressive results. 8 Clean sheets in 10 is astounding especially considering you have double attack duties on each flank - the press must be very effective. With my tactic we're winning a lot of games (beat Bayern home & away in the champions league) but feels like our possession is defensive as we're not creating that many chances. May experiment with removing 'dribble less' and 'retain possession' + adding an attack duty and see if this improves things.

I'm seeing the CB's and Midfielders dispossessing the opposition forwards a lot, perhaps more so than other systems I've played. Playing with an aggressive, compressed midfield when out of possession seems to be restricting the opposition's ability to exploit our high line. Having two smart, physical CB's is also helping. I also put the opposition defence on always closing down, and sometimes get my wide forwards to man-mark the oppo FB's. Some teams have managed to get a ball over the top but woeful finishing has meant that only Juve in our first league defeat of the season (1-0, no prizes for guessing the goalscorer) have managed to punish it.

I lost Jorghino to a 2-month injury and I've not been playing his replacements as a Regista. This has coincided with a run of narrow wins (and the Juve defeat), rather than big wins, suggesting that the Regista may be a key part of the system.

I am seeing my players hold onto the ball a lot though. The team still seems rather static, rather than the perpetual motion machine of Napoli's pass and move. Still plenty of room for experimentation.

I have finished it, now the tactic in the video plays out on Control/Flexible, but like I've said before I am a reactive manager who looks at spaces before deciding what to do. In our match against Borussia Dortmund away from home I went Standard/flexible because I noticed their tempo was too high, so we sought to slow the game down even more to suit our style. 

In the notes to the video I also explain that while my Hamsik role has dribble less as a PI, I would rather it have dribble unchecked or more, if my CM has good decisions then I will let him decide, otherwise its done to adapt to my player who can't dribble to save his life. It's not perfect but we have scored 9 goals in 3 games, with my striker role bagging 7 goals. Assists typically come from my Insigne role, my Hamsik role and from the 3 central mids or from my Callejon role.

Here's where I like the last part, in the video you will  note how my fullback and my callejon role work together in one specific goal, which I will point out.

.Callejon.thumb.jpg.054bdb62ba774ff06dbfab0110ce41b1.jpg

I was trying to get the decoy runs on my fullback as well to give the Callejon role that needed space. Essentially I am looking to create 2v1 on the right flank. In one highlight in the video, my Hamsik role scores a goal after we drag the opposition to the left, then to the right and finally releasing a pass for the left side which has now got an overload allowing Hamsik to score.

My dilemma was simple, the Hamsik role, my players aren't suited to dribbling so we had to use someone there who couldn't dribble, but we got the interlinking between the Hamsik and Insigne role which is crucial to unlocking sides. I hope you guys find it useful, once again, its only my interpretation based on everything I have read. Now I have to reiterate that while some of the highlights show some direct thrusts when trying to score goals these are highlights of course. If you want to watch and see how the possession of the ball is recycled we need to look at a lot of other information including heat maps, key pass combos and watch the game for longer periods

599c127ac4b84_KPAManCity.thumb.jpg.2bed750ce65e250a307e019a94d10bcf.jpg599c1284a033b_AZMancity.thumb.jpg.e681159e7791b5606f85eba3d86223bc.jpg599c12da4fe8f_HMWestHam.thumb.jpg.a96128a0f2092c186cecf86cf2096189.jpg,599c120c46fab_KPADortmund.thumb.jpg.f4c46e0a9809d97515422cbc32382ecd.jpg

These heat maps, key pass combos and heat maps are atypical of a lot of our matches. We do use OIs in the game as explained in the video, to maintain the offensive press during a defensive transition.

Did I change PIs during the game. No
Did I change mentality/shape or any other thing during the game. Only Mentality from Control - Standard or Standard to Control

I hope this helps you guys.

Ohh and one other thing the speed of my highlights its usually two notches above normal

It helps with the transitions. And playing fluid/very fluid would have given me issues defensively. I have a simple rule when it comes to shape. The fewer the strata's the less likely I am to play fluid/very fluid if I want rapid transitions. One caveat I have to add, I haven't seen a lot of Napoli matches, and really only seen 2 for this video, which I still reckon isn't enough. A lot of the research came from checking multiple sources to find a common theme.

Man what a freaking dilemma it is playing Napoli's system. The very weakness irl are coming to haunt me in this game. 

We played a match against Chelsea..at home

Match starts I decide to be conservative, lets go standard/flexible, things go well ,and then we take the lead. 20 mins later they score andequaliser from a corner we fail to defend from. I scream. With 10 minutes left to the end of the first half, I switch to control and we score 2 gems of a goal. Throughout the first half, I have concerns.

a. My Insigne role player seems to be caught dribbling sometime and loses possession, and my Hamsik dude sometimes gets caught out to. I pass it off. We are 2 goals ahead. 
b. My left back who scored a goal isn't the first choice but I have high hopes for him. He's already on 8.2 and we haven't; even ended the first half. A voice in the back of my head says, stop being sentimental, don't keep him on because you want the high ratings so he gets a knock on bonus to his development. I noticed he's been skinned twice in that half. I ignore the voice.

The second half starts, everything seems hunky dory, I sub off my Hysaj fullback cos I know we need a bit more stability there a player with good composure anticipation will be better. It's the right choice. That flank looks solid. A voice in the back of my head says we need to do sub off the Hamsik dude cos he just keeps screwing up at the wrong time. I don't want to cos I have a soft spot for him. We should be fine.

76 mins - My Hamsik role fails to read a pass, he moves off to early and the pass gets intercepted, the AI win the ball and rip through us to score because of our high line.
5 mins later - My fullback on the left My Ghoulam, gets skinned and they score from the ensuing cross.

Morale of the Story - Even the best laid plans get torn to shreds when you stop looking at the big clues in the game and stick to being sentimental. I was so pissed to see a  9 game winning streak come to an end. Monaco will pay in the next round and that will be the last time this tactic gets used, cos I need to use other tactics on the FM Tactics show. I wanna thank the OP and the rest of the people who contributed to this thread. It certainly was a load of fun.

15 hours ago, Rashidi said:

The more I check the more it dawns on me that the right side of Napol's midfield acts  more like a double pivot. This implies that both CMs need to be on the same strata.

That's a bit easy, then. A lot of options to consider if you want that shape.

1) maybe put both men in the cm strata as DLP (d) and DLP (s) (or even one or two as playmakers?). 

2) make your Jorginho a Regista in the DM strata and give Allan a disciplined role that would allow him to stay in line with Jorginho. (DLP (d or s)?)

Archived