Advice....

Hey guys,

I've been playing FM08 for nearly 10 years now and i still enjoy it.

I'm looking to try FM17 but how difficult is it?  I like fm08 because its not over saturated with tactical options or indepth match engine - i do think these are great additions but i prefer a toned down version of the game.  Should i play fm17?

Close to a decade of development means FM17 is the better simulation but that means there can be a lot more to do to get the most out of the game which might not be to your liking, try the demo to get a feel for it.

It really depends how you're playing. The match engine of older games was much more exploitable - if, for instance, you download tactics from the internet, pay no attention to them and expect good results, or sign 16 year olds from French colonies to your non-league side for £80 per week, 17 is going to be much harder. If you're already playing the game in a more considered way then I wouldn't say there's any significant difference in difficulty.

it depends on what you want really.  Is FM a game or a simulation.  I personally would like it to become even more of a simulation where it would be unrealastic to expect to take over a team in the national league and get them into the CL in a few years, how many teams have done that in the last 50 years, none as far as I am aware, it just does not happen, you should have to become a journeyman manager to do that.  There are loads of games online that will enable you to do that, the clues in the name they are games FM should be a simulation

Whilst there was a bit of stuff added, it's also seen the streamlined Touch/Classic mode, where there's actually less to do than in 2008. This is optionally one of the more casually playable games ou there. The depth is optional, they've even made it so that assistants optionally take over literally anything (yes, you can be successful that way). Plus unlike on FM 2008, it's not as easy to make really horrible tactics anymore in the tactics modules, as you aren't allowed to fiddle with mechanics (sliders), but are given football concepts.

The only people I usually see majorly screwing up on this either have completely unrealistic expectations as to their squads, panic for some reason or think they're Mourinho when they don't even know what a holding midfielder is, etc. This is literally a game where you don't even need to be in front of your computer most of the time to have success.  And if that is still too hard or time consuming, the editor is free for all, and there seems enough who still exploit the engine/AI not quite as huge as on FM 2008 with kimz etc. (hit the space bar to win), but enough (hit the space bar to hugely overachieve immediately). That said, if there's a perceived added difficulty to this, it's more to do with some improved AI, though in particular on the transfer markets / squad developments and thus long term developments, it doesn't take much to outperform it either. That's a long-term weakness of any management game ever since. This sounds like a recommendation, but long-term I'm personally actually slightly worried about a few of this.

My honest 2c, as 2008 was my first ever. Needless to say my first tactics involved disrupted football where my both intended defensive central midfielders would play the ball endlessly between them before moving it anywhere, as the mentality sliders and all that wasn't as straight forward as it appeared at first, and you could literally make players behave as if they hadn't hugely much kicked it in any team on any level before. Adopting from the sliders is still a learning experience.

Best advice: Demo, patched up, free for all.

Archived