[FM17] Hastings United - starting from Lvl 22 (++Difficulty)

majesticeternity

Notes and Setup

This will be a full-on challenge. A long, hard slog of a journey. As in, starting from the bottom, with practically nothing. I wanted a save where I started from ZERO. No players, no abilities, no reputation(not even sunday league), no nothing. The history and background was my way to come up with a relatively plausible scenario. Hastings United's history, kits, logo, location, etc, fit this idea perfectly. Their story, with an alternate recent history added, fit as well.

As far as In-Game, I've used FMEditor to give my manager abilities of 1 in everything, reputation of 1. Club has reputations, facilities, morale, etc of 1. No players, no staff.  Chairman has 0 resources and 0 interference, 7 patience, 100 reputation. The pitch is extremely poor, deteriorated, supporter Affluence is 3, Temperament is 1. Average match ticket price of $4. Starting a Level 22 in England. As usual, other teams will get the morale boosts to keep things fair and competitive.

As added difficulty, and more realism, I've also hidden exact attributes. I can still get a rough idea of a player's skills, but only to levels of 1-5, 6-9, 10-14. 15-20.

For example, Messi:

zRw9tAR.png

Should be quite a journey to the top!

Alternate History of Hastings United

Hello, I am Caitlin Saunders. I hail from Hastings, and my family come from a long line of successful businessmen.

Back before the start of the 1900's my one such businessman in our family started a club. He had a passion for football, plenty of money, and wanted to bring the wonderful game to the forefront his much-loved town of Hastings. Due to his business eye and love of the game, success was quickly achieved. Several cup wins and league wins, in between some leaner times. The club was handed down generation-by-generation, along with a love for football. 

7OnXEPK.jpg

More ups and downs followed. By 1975, my father was owner, and he did his best for most of his reign. A few seasons later, they added the Division Two Championship, divisional cup, and County League Cup to their list of achievements.

6kVjcZQ.jpgGMWHTBY.jpg

It was the 1998/99 season where things fell apart. The season started well, challenging for the title. My father was still owner and decision-maker, but by this time, age had set in. He no longer had a mind and memory capable of managing a club. Swayed by my brother's whims, turmoil set in. Luke had no allegiances to football. He cared nothing for it, and only desired to use whatever money he had to do whatever he pleased at the moment. Bad decision after bad decision ended in the club being forced to resign from the Southern League. The clubs funds were used elsewhere by Luke, and the budget slashed. Players demanded to leave due to such mismanagement, and Town were placed into administration. 

Now in control, Luke decided to change the name to Hastings United in the 2002/03 season. The club was back playing Dr Martens League Premier Division football. United enjoyed a good start to the campaign and were in sixth spot early on. As time went by, things went badly wrong both on and off the pitch. Luke's fights, constant irrational decisions and changes, meant Wakeling was unable to manage as he wished. A run of one win in sixteen games was the prelude to an immediate return to the Eastern Division. Chairman and benefactor Mick Maplesden had had enough and announced his intention to stand down during the final game of the 2002/03 season. George Wakeling also resigned. 

A job request for a manager was sent out to all in Hastings, and Steve Lovell took over as manager. But a drastically reduced budget left him with a youthful and inexperienced squad. United spent much of the season locked in a battle to avoid relegation back to the Sussex County League, but an improved run of results late on saw them finish in seventeenth place.

Things went from struggling to bad. A rapidly increasing debt meant United could no longer pay any wages, rent, or anything else. The club was removed from it's stadium and forced to share ground with a kindly team 50 miles away. 

The seasons went by, and the damaging headlines grew. The Pilot Field and The Firs were not cared for, and subject to decay and vandalism. Set in the midst of residences, this made the club all the more a sore spot for the town. Illegal gambling, obnoxious partying and other indecencies meant Luke was hated by almost everyone in the footballing world. He figuratively spat on the game, on the club, on everything they held dear.

During the 2010/2011 season, Luke went too far. His illegal gambling, as well as tax evasion, finally caught up to him, and he was sentenced to prison.

With no owner, no manager, and no ground, the club was dismantled, yet Luke still retained "ownership".

As I grew up, I witnessed my brother's single-handed defamation of our beloved club. The generations of hard work, investment, care, and devotion...all for naught.

Being the second-born, and also a girl, my father hadn't thought it necessary to teach me about football, and had given me no say with the club. I taught myself, though, and as a young girl, many a weekend was spent watching matches on TV. Once I could drive, I drove all over the place, traveling to different grounds and rooting for the teams along with their fans.

Therefore, when my brother ruined our name, I was desperate to turn things around. I couldn't let things end this way. From 2013 on, I tried everything I could think to get Luke to hand over the "keys" to the fallen legacy, but he strongly refused. It seemed hopeless.

Current State of Football in Hastings

CtDlNgR.jpg

Before the 2015/2016 seaon, St. Leonard's FC re-formed their club, and now play in the Hellenic League Division One East(Level 9). As The Pilot Field and The Firs are in a state of disrepair and can't be used, they're playing at the financially unstable Horntye Park Sports Complex. The Complex is primarily cricket-based, but has a footballing pitch.

Horntye Park Sports Complex is on the verge of bankruptcy, and Hastings Borough Council are putting plans into action to demolish The Pilot Field and The Firs, turning them into residences that will fit in with the surrounding homes.

Thus, football in Hastings is on the verge of becoming extinct. St. Leonard's FC will immediately be dissolved again, if no suitable pitch arrives.

Currently, Burney Group & Sherlock Consultancy along with a UK top 10 Housebuilder in Keepmoat Homes has put together a big project called, "Combe Valley Sports Village". The plans will cost $88M, made up of $72M housing and $15M sports facilities. The scheme is a culmination of 18 months of work that has involved St. Leonards FC, its Partners and the Trustees of Horntye Park Sports Complex, which will also relocate to the sports village.

6NZxH0m.pngnYyLfsa.jpg

Hastings Borough Council have been kept collaboratively in the loop, yet have not in any way given the green light for the project to proceed. The process for this to occur is ongoing, as are discussions with Rother District Council, who are the planning authority for the proposed sports village on a site at Combe Valley owned by Hastings Borough Council.

Needless to say, so many different parties, 2 different Councils, and endless negotiations and planning will be the death of organized football, and possibly cricket, in Hastings.

Hastings United, The Comeback?

The Pilot Field Then and Now:

5Zksp9s.jpgqrKlknR.jpg

The Firs, then and now:

lPsjDWf.jpgJsyzR75.jpg

Our name, our family, our beloved club...disgraced, dishonored. Now, the once-beautiful Pilot Field and Firs, to be destroyed. On top of that, football in Hastings was just about disappearing. 

No matter how often I'd attempted to have him sign over his ownership of our club, Luke had refused. To the point where I gave up. With the change in Hasting's footballing climate, and the imminent destruction of our old grounds, I again started to pester him, with renewed vigor.

Finally, on January 10th, 2016, he agreed to give me full ownership. He was done with my incessant pleas. He hated the game, hated the club, hated our family, and only wanted to be done with it all.

From that moment, I set about to right the ship.

While much of our enormous wealth was squandered by Luke, he hadn't entirely wiped out the club's trust fund. A careful analysis of the current situation and I realized $9M remained. A very good start, hopefully we could get off on the right foot.

But, it was not to happen. 

Hastings now had a football club once more with St. Leonards, and rebuilding such an infamous club as Hastings United was out of the question. The community opposed it, and there weren't enough funds or locations to support 2 clubs. St. Leonards was already heavily involved in the Sports Village plans, there wasn't room for us. As well, in our struggling economy, the last thing a quaint, peaceful town needed was a restart of the very club that had smeared its good name. The Hastings Borough Council vehemently refused.

It seemed nothing was to be done, but mulling over their concerns led to many nights contemplating a solution.

While the Sports Village was a great idea, and a boon for the town's economy, from a footballing perspective, it was far from ideal. Located practically across the street from the ocean, everyone knew it was often subject to strong winds, and occasional flooding. The Village would feature a football stadium that could hold up to 6,000 people, but that was not much larger than our original Pilot Field. Most of the complex would be devoted to cricket and other sports. It was intended to be a residential area combined with a haven for much of the area's sports. Finding a distraction-free location to train would be impossible. Scheduling around the other sports, the other club...none of it seemed conducive to the well-run club I wished to create.

And of course, there was the issue of even being allowed to join in the planning and funding of the project.

So, I began on my own hunt for "Sports Village" of sorts, done my way. 

Searching through the listings, I came across a location that, the more I reviewed it, the more perfect it became.

Sold by Cluttons LLP, North Queensway Innovation Park is a 12 acre plot in the northwest outskirts of Hastings. Located far inland in comparison to the Village, it was in a perfect location. Flanked by the beautiful Marine Wood Local Nature Reserve, and surrounded by a mixture of open land, residential areas, and a town center, it wants for nothing. Trunk road A2690 runs right along it, so much of the infrastructure is already there to accomodate a large crowd.

If I purchased this land, it could be our own location. We would still require approval from the Council, but we could develop as we pleased, without having to deal with several other parties. It would be devoted only to football.

But, if the Council wouldn't approve the reforming of our club, this location would be useless to me.

Many talks ensued between myself, lawyers, and the Council, to try to come to some agreement. 

Finally, we reached one. In order to accept my application, I had to do 2 things. 

1: Provide a "show of faith" - To prove to them I was legitimate and pure in my wishes for the club, I offered to immediately start the purchasing of North Queensway Innovation Park. At a cost of $3M, it would be solid proof, as I would now be literally investing in the club's future.  

2: Sign a contract which included their stipulations - 

Allow St. Leonards and any other suitable Hastings-area club to rent the stadium at Innovation Park, once it's useable
A Chairman must be appointed, hired/fired only by the FA, and is required to make sure the club is run in a financially sound way.
We must truly "restart", and begin at the lowest league of English football, level 22.
Any activities that are not above board will induce immediate termination of our club.

Hastings United and Innovation Park

j23LI3w.jpg1cm4mlg.png

Starting Funds: $9,000,000
Innovation Park - Land Purchase: -$3,000,000
Innovation Park - Initial Construction: -$5,000,000
Innovation Park - Miscellaneous(Equipment,Kits,Fees,Insurance,Minibus,etc): -$200,000
Remaining Funds: $800,000

Laywers, architects, construction workers, legal filings, land-clearing...the list of things to do was seemingly infinite. It would be some time before construction could actually begin. What was needed was a stadium that could expand into a large one, if the time came, but for now would hold only one section of bench seating with an overhang. Along with that, a large building for training was required. If most of the building was left empty for now, that was alright, as we grew we'd use it.

aHuBko0.png

While waiting for our new home, we'd be joining St. Leonards at Horntye Park Sports Complex.

QqhRWqg.png

• 3 weeks later...

Terrible Scouts are our life-blood

0Dw137J.png

Well...zero knowledge, zero reputation, zero staff..how in the world do I find players? Especially when they're free, without clubs, so they can't be scouted in games??

This was a big issue, especially since free players were being snapped up like they were going out of stock.

cQWgMHG.png?1

I had to act fast if I had a hope of any decent players . A lot of hours thinking led to this plan: 

• Few players would want to join us, so rather than traveling all over the country searching, I decided to let them come to us. Flyers, forums, cold-calls, events...anything to get the word out.
  • Have the scouts searching locally, using their contacts, and reporting on any players remotely interesting
  • I'd head out to the England Trialist teams, to at the very least get our name out there. 

Slim Pickings and Reliance on Trials

With 30 days left, I'd signed 2 free agents. Great job, eh? 2 hand-picked players, with pre-season flying out the door. The remaining players would have to come from our trials.

By this time, several hundred free players had heard about our open trials. Yet, only 40 responded. Several friendlies later, and the 40 were whittled down to 23.

The Last Trial Friendly

Setup against a "club" from Algeria, the media determined we were unworthy of this lowly club:

xQghBRB.png

A rainy day and I'm ready to watch the Trialists play on our rented "Home" ground.

I let everyone know that this friendly was their final chance to impress.

4mrrhXW.png

6 minutes: Surprisingly, we're already looking like a well-oiled team, passing the ball around cooly, out of the reach of the Algerians, like a game of hot potato. Peake is apparently determined to prove his worth, and fires a great long shot. But the keeper steps up with his own great save. No goal, but Peake has made me notice him.

XOJ341l.png

13 minutes: I'm still admiring the passing on display for his level, when Peake acheives his aim. Multipe stars next to Peake's name on my sheet, as he scores from a header, off a corner from Lobjoit. 

Ql6tSuF.png

27 minutes: good thing he got his performance in already, as an injury means Peake has to be subbed off. Poor guy was visibly upset at having to be walked off.

YBu08WG.png

30 minutes: The other players continue to step up, and Stamp barrels into his opponent, knicking the ball so cleanly and forcefully that the Algerian almost falls. A beautiful long ball forward to Simon for a decent shot that goes over the bar.

hF5V61E.pngJk7fx6P.png

32 minutes: Several long free kick attempts from Lobjoit have done little to impress anyone, save for showing his persistence. Finally, he gets it right.

g0vil3a.png?1

34 minutes: The boy's found his rhythm. Another free kick goal.

IL20gnQ.png

40 minutes: Peake's replacement, Killner, is not much to look at. His passing is horrible, his reactions slow.

AlTu3WB.png

45 minutes: Quite a few of the players are uninterested, and I feel it's time for a tactical switch to allow a few of the bench players a chance to show off. AML and AMR added and 4 subs.

63 minutes: A few mistakes, a great save by Greenacre, and some wayward passing leads up to this gem. Swales takes the ball back, right outside their box, for a no-brainer pass to Simon. He dribbles forward and just before being closed down, fires a shot past the keeper. Are these really Level 22 players??

HbPQjo3.pngzT35tRq.png

Post-Game Analysis

TnWtwez.pngNSW11pF.pngfU4dltf.png

Ayr6Q8n.pngc7FjYx2.png

Now, to finalize the signings...

We have a Squad, Mates!

An exhaustive, time-consuming battle to woo players to our club and away from others. But finally, 2 weeks out from season start, Hastings has a team. We lost quite a few short-listed and trial players to other clubs, but overall, I'm quite happy with what we've accomplished.

I was afraid no one would want to sign, but with Key Player spots up for grabs, a league and 3 cups to play in, we seemed to attract 2 types of players: 1 - Old cast-offs not fit for their regular playing level anymore, but still enjoying the game and looking for a club to play them. 2 - Young players who either haven't made a senior debut or have fallen down the levels, all of which in the end want as much match time as possible to put themselves in the public eye and hope to move up the levels.

Either way, this rag-tag group is a happy sight. We've started the long trek to rebuilding Hastings United!

Goalkeepers

y90zCqA.pngActual Attributes

Bradley Banda - Nationality: Gibraltar Age: 18 Height: 6'3" Birthplace: Gibraltar Found By: Scouting

Bio: Started playing for Lions in Gibralter, 9 games and 2 clubs later, he was signed by Team Solent(Level 9) over the summer, only to be poached by me a month later. ;) Starting keeper was too enticing for him.

Info: Should do well for us, I chose him for his ability to make decisions

OdH2FuC.pngActual Attributes

Matt Bonnett - Age: 18 Height: 6'5" Birthplace: Slough, England Found By: Scouting

Bio: Spent 3 years in the youth ranks of Slough Town(Level 7), only to also be poached by me as a 2nd choice keeper. No senior games played.

Info: Looks decent for this level already, if we can just get his mentals up, he'd be great for us

Defenders - Left

BHanojd.pngActual Attributes

Shane Stamp - Age: 24 Height: 5'8" Birthplace: London, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: 67 games worth of experience, bouncing around Level 8 mostly. Finally made it to Level 7 at Billericay, but couldn't hack it and was let go after a season.

Info: Wouldn't have been deemed worthy, if not for his performances. Pace is INSANE for this level, acceleration good, but highly lacking in the mental stats I value so highly.

Defenders - Center

2IBmYsp.pngActual Attributes

Romario Jonas - Age: 18 Height: 5'11" Birthplace: London, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Joined Cambridge(Level 4), no appearances. Joined Maidenhead(Level 6), no appearances. Joined Ashford(Level 8), no appearances. Are we sensing a pattern??

Info: Good decisions and pace, ambitious...yet selfish, and not worth a lick for headers. Pros and cons are about even, eh?

h3vuLUB.pngActual Attributes

Kane Harrington - Age: 25 Height: 5'9' Birthplace: Canterbury, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Mimicking Jonas, he started at Woking(Level 6), then to Margate(Level 7), Sittingbourne(Level 8), and Canterbury(Level 9), with only 3 apps total. Seeing no future at any club, he plied his wares for us.

Info: Scouts don't rate him very much, but good decisions, agility, natural fitness, pace, and stamina means he'll be invaluable in lasting longer than most on the pitch. Actually a Right Defender, he'll have to be retrained.

OfpjgLT.pngActual Attributes

Shane Blackmore - Age: 24 Height: 5'11" Birthplace: Unknown, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Son of Chippenham's president, Neil Blackmore, he's had the benefit of some "nepotism" to stay at Chippenham(Level 9) his whole career and gain quite a few appearances.

Info: A sub due to his poor stamina, but he's a decent pick. He'll find no handouts here.

Defenders - Right

bRCV6c9.pngActual Attributes

*CAPTAIN* Kashif Siddiqi - Nationality: Pakistan Age: 30 Height: 5'9" Birthplace: London, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Not sure how much experience he has, as there's no record of any games played, but he's had a good long career at many clubs. He went from Level 5 to Level 4, then down to the lower leagues of USA, out to Al-Wasl in UAE's Gulf League, back to USA, and finally to Northampton(Level 4).

Info: A great player for us to have on hand, so much experience. Leadership qualities, good decisions, and overall ok in most stats. He required Key Player status to sign with us.

JEhGRte.pngActual Attributes

*VICE-CAPTAIN* Bleu McNeil - Age: 21 Height: 5'10" Birthplace: Unknown, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Ignored at Kettering(Level 7) for a season, he's apparently hoping his fledgling career will take off having a better role with Hastings

Info: Young for a vice-captain, but leaders are in short supply at this level. Nice that captain and his replacement are both same position and both leaders.

Midfielders - Central

WcquAEA.pngActual Attributes

Chris Regis - Age: 19 Height: 6'2" Birthplace: Unknown, England Found By: England Trialist Team 3 vs Team 4 match

Bio: The best history of all players here, as far as highest level. Came through Southampton's(Level 1) youth, then signed on a free 2 yrs later for Colchester(Level 3).

Info: I'm so glad I decided to attend England's Trialist game. Having shown up, explained my interested immediately, and offering Key Player status at his preferred position and role...It's incredibly amazing that he signed for us! Now, only if we can keep him...

Yk9qI2S.pngActual Attributes

Drew Gibson - Age: 18 Height: 6'0" Birthplace: Unknown, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: 2 seasons at Mansfield(Level 4). then he was let go. He was surprisingly happy to sign for us, only as a backup.

Info: Some of the abilities he lacks may come back to bite me, but I like him. Good decisions, passing, technique, physicals. The makings of a good playmaker at this level.

QMrhF7Q.pngActual Attributes

Thomas Day - Age: 16 Height: 5'7" Birthplace: Owestry, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: We're his first club!

Info: Not much yet, but good decisions and teamwork, along with great potential makes him promising.

xdESs4T.pngActual Attributes

Kadeem Price - Nationality: Jamaican Age: 22 Height: 6'2" Birthplace: Leicester, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: 20 games and a couple Level 8 clubs before being released.

Info: He's...okay. Good physicals and decent mentals should make him valuable in my book...but the jury's still out in my mind.

IQlAgOz.pngActual Attributes

Yacine Ghanore - Nationality: Ivorian Age: 22 Height: 6'0" Birthplace: Yamoussoukro, Cote d'Ivoire Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Cambridge(Level 5) for 2 seasons, then a couple Level 8 clubs, and Greenwich(Level 9)

Info: Fans aren't happy about him, but with such supposed "potential", good first touch/decisions/physicals, I don't see why he's that bad...

2hwxKac.pngActual Attributes

Jacob Peake - Age: 21 Height: 5'8" Birthplace: Shoreham-by-the-Sea, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: All the way from Brighton(Level 2), down to Worthing(Level 8) and let go in 2014. He's happy to get back into football.

Info: Our hotshot-turned-injured from the final Trial Friendly, we'll see how he does.

Midfielders - Attacking

RHdblea.pngActual Attributes

Billy Lobjoit - Age: 22 Height: 5'10" Birthplace: Edgware, England Found By: Scouting

Bio: Bouncing around Level 3 to Level 6, he has 40 games worth of experience at quality clubs.

Info: Our secret weapon, our out-of-nowhere goal-scorer, he should be just the guy we need to keep the goals rolling in. The only worthwhile free kick and penalty taker, he'd better not get injured!

SI38DOZ.pngActual Attributes

Derek Tierney - Age: 16 Height: 5'11" Birthplace: Lancaster, England Found By: Scout's Recommendation

Bio: We're his first club!

Info: A scout said he could become a top class player. Not sure that's true at all...but, he seems to have potential, and quality already at age 16.

Strikers

nBHnPI9.pngActual Attributes

Salim Relizani - Nationality: Algerian Age: 21 Height: 6'0" Birthplace: Cambridge, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Been at Histon(Level 7) for his career, with a few loans out. 73 games already, great experience. 8 goals in 24 games last season.

Info: I really like him. Should do very well for us, and round out the good team we've built.

V5iZHoD.pngActual Attributes

Robert Edmans - Age: 29 Height: 6'6" Birthplace: London, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: 142 games, the best club being Dag & Red(Level 4), but most of his career spent at Chelmsford(Level 6). Getting old for those "top" clubs.

Info: Quite a...unique striker. Can't finish worth a lick, poor decisions, but brilliant for headers. How do I utilize this guy well???

lx6OAW9.pngActual Attributes

Richard Claydon - Age: 32 Height: 6'0" Birthplace: Oxford, England Found By: 2-week Trial

Bio: Wantage(Level 9) has been his home for many years. After a return of 20 goals in 30 games, they let him go. Picked up by Milton Utd in 2014, but having no apps, he was glad to come to Hastings with the promise of game time.

Info: Somewhat the opposite of Edmans, he's good finisher, with good technique, and flair, he'll put the ball in the back of the net with his feet.

8 hours ago, andychar said:

Great idea. I really hope you can keep it up. I've seen many of these started and only a handful have made it through a few seasons. 

I'll be following!

Thank you! Glad to hear you'll be following. I'm pretty determined, so hopefully I'll stick with it all the way to the top! It should be a great ride along the way. :)

The Season Has Barely Started, and The Issues Are Already Piling Up 

1 - Poor Training means our players are already declining

NeGOhNd.png

Having a rented training facility, poor coaches, poor training, amateur contracts...The guys basically hang out during the odd training session they show up to, and only care about playing the actual games. All their stats are lowering fast. How do I fix this???

2 - Most players haven't played regular games since...like ever.

5A2SnaX.png

These cast off, out-of-shape players are nowhere near ready to play 90 minute matches. Especially not a league and 3 cups all strung together. By the end of the game, all players are under 65% condition.

3 - After 2 weeks of friendlies, they still have no idea how to play a simple formation and tactical setup

6YGeVTw.png

4 - Our 1st choice keeper will be gone for our first 2 league matches AND our first cup match.

ABYlcXR.png

5 - One of our 1st choice strikers is injured for 2 months

EefxUha.png

6 - Low determination in a majority of the squad is hurting the players

vPfqdiz.png

Determination is very hard to come by in these low levels. Some free players have plenty, but poor ability on the pitch, so they're worthless.

7 - A 5-man bench with non-versatile players means stamina is vital, and injuries are devastating

ZciEDR7.png

During the friendlies prep, I quickly realized the bench is a big issue. Not only for the below problem(#8), but because If I use all 3 subs by the 75th minute, and someone gets injured(which is a good chance), we're down to 10 men for the remaining minutes. If I don't use all the subs, we're running on empty for all except 2 of our 10 outfield players. As well, having only 5 bench options, each at 1 capable position each, if I have a central defender, striker, midfielder, attacking midfielder, and right back on the bench, if our left back needs subbed, we're up a creek. Or, if multiple midfielders or strikers need subbed, same thing.

8 - Due to low determination, going behind means okay morale plummets the bench into an abyss.

ZMbHQnV.png

Yea, that's scary. For ex: we're down a goal, with 30 minutes to go. Let's bring on a striker with "Abysmal" or "Very Poor" morale. That's not a recipe for disaster at all...

9 - Rectifying the attribute drop issue creates another issue

ItNgPYv.png

Although, I'd much rather have this issue than weakening players...I think....

10 - Scheduling is odd, and challenging

Either it's 3 games in 7 days, with our 1st choice right back on Int Duty for 1 game, or it's almost 2 weeks without a match. 

PbJiVSX.png

N9UlLOD.png

Which means I alternate between 2 situations: Extremely worn out players and reliance on our worst players, or idle players looking for match time and upset they're not playing enough games.

I'm Conflicted, What's My Goal?

With all the above problems, the media has heaped pressure on our shoulders, claiming we should earn promotion this season...

plxcPB6.png

Logically, we'd want to promote as fast as possible, so focus solely on the league...But with a rented ground, a hodge-podge of players, poaching probable next summer, etc...would we really be ready to handle a (slightly)higher level already next season?

As well, with 3 cups at our disposal, seems like we should focus on them also. With practically no training available, the more experience every player gets, the better.

Matches are invaluable to us, for team cohesion, tactical familiarity, player development, club reputation, and to improve my own ability as a manager.

We'd also do better to rise up the ranks once we have our own ground and training facilities.

What are the promotion rules?

The step up a level is probably not that big a deal to be honest, so take it if you can get it. I'd say focus on the league for now, while not throwing away cup games. There is a good chance you will exit a couple of cups pretty early on. If you get a run going and have a chance at silverware in one of the lower level cups, and the league is gone, maybe have a crack at one of those.

27 minutes ago, BadManager said:

What are the promotion rules?

The step up a level is probably not that big a deal to be honest, so take it if you can get it. I'd say focus on the league for now, while not throwing away cup games. There is a good chance you will exit a couple of cups pretty early on. If you get a run going and have a chance at silverware in one of the lower level cups, and the league is gone, maybe have a crack at one of those.

Good points, and a very smart, well-balanced approach. Thanks for the advice! I'll take it! :)

Tactical Setup

At this level, there's no luxury of picking a formation and then finding the players for it. We need the best players, and whatever formation they fall into, so be it.

The original group of "prospects" included a right winger, left midfielder, defensive midfielder, but there weren't enough options in those positions to make a formation from, much less good subs for those positions.. 

Therefore, a  4-3-1-2 Narrow formed:

NOTkgFE.png3jk8afK.png

I'm not going to change anything other than roles, until the tactical familiarity is very high. Can't really tell what's wrong or right until that happens.

The hope is that the backline is focused primarily on defending, Gnahore and Gibson stay back and pass around, Regis alternates between helping the middle and forward players, Lobjoit helps pass and create chances, Edmans gets on the end of crosses, and Relizani hits them home whenever he has the ball.

Team Instructions:

I'm not entirely sure how to adequately use Edmans' heading ability, or if "Hit early Crosses" is more useless than it is useful...

"Use Tighter Marking" is to try and prevent the incessant "stalking" of opponents, which allows them all the time in the world on the ball. Tighter Marking is my attempt at pressing, bottom-level style. If our players close down, they're too easily pulled out of position or miss the tackle, so I can't have them do that.

Player Instructions:

Gnahore and Gibson were taking far too many loooooooong shots and verrrry poor ones at that. So they both get "Shoot Less Often". It's helped alot.

Musings on the first few matches

Since i can't really change tactics or players until we get cohesion and familiarity, I'm mostly just observing.

Most awe-inspiring observation; We're renting a bad, dinky stadium, with a deteriorated dirt pitch and NOOO supporters. Oh wait! There's one! ..... Nope, false alarm. ;) 

dlkB4IV.png

Anyways, onto the pertinent observations:

8k8dAaZ.png     Gibson knows how to tackle. No foul, yet brings his opponent to the ground

NRBCkcu.png     Edmans is going to be amazing, if we can harness his header abilities

MuBN7aq.png     Siddiqi intercepts and clears, great anticipation.

2KUX3RR.png     Gibson can't dribble. He had possession, yet dribbled the ball too far ahead, so the opponent picked it up.

zttDU7J.png     Edmans can't pass, which I already knew. You don't pass behind a player's back. duh.

KOuIhoC.png     Stamp thinks heading the ball out of bounds is a good idea. Especially when no one is around to pressure you into that

k9sTRGU.png    Stamp's speed pays off, as he comes out of nowhere to take the ball away

V9Wv2sD.png      We certainly are not a cohesive team, as Regis passes poorly, and Relizani has no idea it's supposed to go to him. Deja vu?

FgLz4vY.png     Relizani is good at leaping on loose balls. Marks tackles Edmans, but the ball breaks free. Relizani rushes up to it for a shot and a goal.

aa8LbBw.png     Gibson takes too many long shots

Best Yet!: We score from long distance! 6 of 9 goals have been outside the box. WE SHALL RULE THE WORLD!

GBm0GxL.pngXEkFUTr.pngltrtiWJ.png

0z2fur5.pngP9wZmC3.png

Exciting concept. I don't like the hiding of accurate stats, though. I wish we viewers could somehow know them, without ruining your experience!

I like @BadManager 's thinking. There's a crowd cheering somewhere out there, right? It's totally not just a guy playing crowd cheers from a stereo? Right? So Hastings already has a huge followership, alright!

13 hours ago, BadManager said:

Maybe the thousands of supporters are all on the camera side of the ground, and only one of your players not in the team is sitting on the other side.

No? Oh well.

Oh, great idea!

Let me take a look....

MdMVT2A.png

Nope....thanks for getting my hopes up..... :p

5 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

I like @BadManager 's thinking. There's a crowd cheering somewhere out there, right? It's totally not just a guy playing crowd cheers from a stereo? Right? So Hastings already has a huge followership, alright!

I think Adonalsium's stereo theory is spot on.

fYnCVO0.png

Ah, found one! Oh wait, I forgot: paid one of my friends to show up and feign interest. :)

5 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

Exciting concept. I don't like the hiding of accurate stats, though. I wish we viewers could somehow know them, without ruining your experience!

True...that's a good idea. It'd mean you readers would know things I didn't. :)

Would this work?

8MOLf3z.png

It'd be too much trouble to change the skin to show stats and then not, back and forth. So, a quick fixed-area shot of attributes in FMRTE would mean I don't have time to look, and a small thumbnail post would mean I couldn't read it. But, those who wanted to view it, could simply click on the image.

What do you think?

29 minutes ago, jengaehassim said:

Hiding stats was a great idea, how did you do it?

I use FM 2017 FLUT skin white - 2.5. So, going to folder panels > player, and doing a search in Windows Explorer for "attribute" brought up the relevant files. Then, open each and look for the attribrute section. Change colour="white" size="12" to colour="grey" size="0" and voila!

It's made things a whole lot more fun. Shown me new insights and ways of thinking about FM. Also, made me pick players I wouldn't have chosen, who've done well. Most importantly, it's made the on-pitch actions and stats valuable. I have to actually scout players, use the reports and what I see in their games to give me a better idea of their players. Or take a risk.

Super fun.

38 minutes ago, jengaehassim said:

Also, don't you think playing without wingers and with fullbacks on defensive duty restrict too much your options on the wings?

Hm...well, I guess I'd rather be more defensive, as keepers are quite inconsistent, but what would you suggest? Having the fullbacks bomb forward more for those crosses? Or just come forward enough to help with passing/possession?

A Lineup Revelation

At the end of September, "Hot Prospect" 16yr old Derek Tierney took issue with being a bench player.

I conceded I'd play him more often.

AFZdaeW.png

But I didn't want him to be a starter just yet. Yes, he's very good for a 16yr old, but poor mental stats, ok passing, horrible teamwork, and weak stamina was a worry. Besides, Lobjoit was doing great. 

2 months later, and while I'd started him in a few games, he made it clear he wanted to be regular here or else he was leaving.

tsaXo5I.png

GM9H9cd.png

At this time, both Claydon and Edmans were injured for a few weeks, leaving us with 1 striker available in a 2 striker formation. So, who's our striker? If Tierney is now our temporary AMC, Lobjoit naturally would be our temporary striker.

The trouble was, that Lobjoit is no natural striker.

J4lb3xi.png

Either way, he's our best/only alterative. Poacher it is.

4-3-1-2 Narrow   -     v1.1

4WMrStv.png

TWO Poachers up front?? Are you crazy?? Well...can't hurt to try...

Also, Tierney demanded his favored position and role in order to sign, so instead of an Attacking AMC, we now have an Advanced Playmaker to feed our 2 poachers.

The results have been amazing. 

Jy66Dwm.pngv4nVK5U.pngou4y4k3.png

Whether it's a pass forward from our midfielders up front, a long ball from a defender, or a pass from a striker to his partner, these 2 poachers are having a great time, and have clicked both in their roles and together.

uF5wLnu.pnge9ddPZp.pnga00slDR.png

Current Level 22 League Standings

ltFiDv7.png

Looking at our 9 point lead, it seems we're doing pretty good. But looking our results...not so much.

EPw3NRM.png?1

Except for the odd game, most results have been narrow wins. 1 goal leads. And, most of those "winners" have come with less than 5 minutes left in the game. Seems when the other team is wearing out, our chances increase, and then we scrape by with a goal and subsequent victory.

I don't like that, we should be more solid.

teFSgGc.png

But, considering the above familiarity levels, that a few players are learning their positions, and that we've put up some good 5-1/4-0 wins: I think overall we're going to promote and beast up these bottom ranks(probably).

Well can't argue with the media prediction. Level 21 will be quaking in their boots. As far as narrow wins go a win is a win is a win and I'd take it every time...sorry too many post match press conferences.

On 3/16/2017 at 10:07, jengaehassim said:

Also, don't you think playing without wingers and with fullbacks on defensive duty restrict too much your options on the wings?

Since we were doing well in the league, and could throw away a game or two, I decided to try out jengaehassim's suggestion, and moved the fullbacks to support.

Not much happened in the first couple league matches, other than better possession, as the fullbacks gave us more options to pass to.

Now, though, looks like they're getting the hang of their new roles:

Tester Challenge Cup Quarter Final
Our first quarter final

We're heading towards the latter stages of all 3 cups, and they don't seem much of a competition for us. Except for the Mid Sussex Junior Cup, which pits us against up to Level 18, the others are mostly against our level or 1 above.

12 minutes: A tackle against Tierney leaves him with a knee injury, and he has to be taken off. Great start, eh?

ZKck9T2.png

40 minutes: The fullbacks coming forward to support already show profits. Siddiqi passes to Lobjoit for a shot. It's deflected, but falls back at Siddiqi's feet. Another pass, to Peake this time, and a goal. Sweet!

VHSMiMy.pngITtS9z8.png

42 minutes: Regis clears to Relizani, way up front on the left wing, and a beautiful cross sends the ball right to Lobjoit's feet. Beautiful!

SX144lI.png

56 minutes: A corner for us, and Stamp chases the ball down. His first goal, at such a difficult angle! Way to go, Stamp!

zqby7TW.png

60 minutes: This game is not much other than a ping-pong and a goal for us. Not that I mind that....

5n5RYz8.png

There ya go. Easy peasy quarter final. I liiike these lower-level cups.

Only downfall:
rTg7IqI.png

Mid Sussex Junior Cup Quarter Final

This is our first "real" test in a competitive match, a Level 18 side. A B team, though, so not too difficult.

3wfeaKB.png

U2auP8w.png

DfwbPsD.png

5 minutes: Siddiqi, our now "supporting" fullback, spots Relizani in a great position in front of goal, unmarked. Goal!

rkzr4SU.png

52 minutes: An extremely frustrating game so far. Their keeper is insane! Blocks every shot! Until...our team decides defending isn't worth the bother.

ifZMPOC.png

90 minutes: Still a tie, and we're into over time. I give them a talking to, due to their poor play, and sent them out.

92 minutes: Several players were just above 60% condition by 70mins, but I felt we're headed for overtime, and risked not using a single sub. So now, time to send out 3 fresh players.

jER6bkS.png

94 minutes: It works. A throw-in from McNeil to Gnahore, who says, "I don't want it!" A pass back to McNeil for a cross into the midst of the pack. Regis jumps up to head the ball towards Price for a simple kick into goal. Keeper almost saved it with his knee.

5aIvZiM.png

Q8cPAvi.png

What did I tell you - their keeper was top notch!

bMZ6YUz.png

And that makes 3 Semi Finals we're in. :)

On the back of good news comes some poor management on my part:

Despite being informed that Edmans had 2 worries brewing, I ignored it for the time being, as he was injured.

But the day he's recovered:

KAzbC05.png

His 2 issues were lack of first team play, and weak attacking squad depth. So, pondering what to do, I looked at his profile:

KKyTbU6.png

A few new icons, most importantly the "inconsistent" and "likely injured" icons.

Sorry, buddy, but you're outta here.

JrwpbuJ.png

Ooooops.

I didn't manage to placate anyone, so most morale's in the pits. Added to that: 

k7YR6l5.png

Apparently caused by this -

ER6eQPb.png

Oh, sorry, not saying you're gods is a problem?

Well, morale was in the dumps, and we had a "pivotal" league game coming up. A few games left, but if we won this one, we'd earn the title.

A penalty given away just 10 mins into the match, and we're 0-1. But, the half-time talk worked, subs used, and we managed to find the winner with 10 minutes to go.

Therefore, all my mismanagement was forgotten and morale became Superb throughout the squad.

Automatic Promotion and the Title!

w9uLhrg.png

79piqoX.png

NdH0nAP.pngV9UOukU.png

This cracked me up:

ZdC38vi.png

I'll hold ya to that, Perkins.

End of Season: Poaching Attempts

So, Keymer & Hassocks thought, "they won the title, they must have great players, let's take em", and came in with offers for most of our first 11. Thankfully, none were swayed.

A few other teams also made offers, but I managed to keep our players, except:

SvqpMMq.png

Of course, nearby St. Leonards also wanted some of our players:

FH5PikA.png

LCr6Mc1.png

Muahaha, they like our team better.

End of Season: 3 Cup Finals

After we lost our right back Siddiqi, our central defender Romario Jonas left too. McNeil and Blackmore are promoted to 1st team.

A packed week of 3 Cup Finals. Sweeeeeet!

edsxPI6.png

Brian Hall Challenge Cup Final

Another Level 22 side, should be easy.

iTV4Rrl.png

7 minutes: Stamp pulls off another of his barreling tackles to lob the ball forward for a quick counter attack. A couple passes later sees a wide-open Tierney send the ball beautifully into the bottom right corner, just before being closed down. 1-0 

89g30o3.png

10 minutes: Tierney's goal-hungry, and decides it's a great idea to send a powerful shot right into the "fence" of team-mates and opponents. Super smart thinking...

vm5WXq0.png

17 minutes: A free kick, and Lobjoit turns blind, therefore thinking the goal is way further left than it actually is.

Vyyte0Q.png

30 minutes: McNeil continues to prove himself worthy of the vacated right back position. A perfect cross up to Lobjoit for a header over the keeper, into the net. 2-0

ZcJI8cK.png

69 minutes: Earing knicks the ball from our defender, Blackmore. A one-two pass, and he has the ball back for an even more beatiful shot in the top left corner. 2-1

kUsLdcL.png

That's all she wrote, and we've snagged our first cup!

Z9IDqB2.png

It's such an important, monstrous cup that we're given LOOOAAADDDSS of money:

NCCrOj0.png

Tester Challenge Cup Final

A Level 21 side, but we won't be meeting next season in the league, as they're being relegated. This should be a walk in the park.

Noticing Blackmore's horrible performance, and looking at his form, I realized we needed a new ACTUAL defender, stat.

ui65QaL.png

Found one, but he won't arrive in time for this cup.

xNwwjRe.png

13 minutes: We just need a little more time...they're gonna hand the cup over to us, I know it.. :)

Hrte2Is.png

15 minutes: Dur dut dur....They dunno how to defend. No wonder they're being relegated. 1-0

kYdj2pB.png

17 minutes: Hey, keep, aren't ya supposed to get that? - Nope? - Ah well. 2-0

WSUphYY.png

19 minutes: Apparently, we've made them mad. Foster throws Stamp to the ground, steals the ball, and delivers it to Harris for a quick shot. 2-1

EExEd09.pngK4rgvds.png

34 minutes: A few blocked shots from us, and again they leave us open. 3-1  

Jy1A6dt.png

34 minutes: Time to take it down a notch, and save energy for the last and most demanding cup final.

35 minutes: Before tactics change, Tierney runs down the right wing, open in miles of space. They close down, but miss the tackle, so he crosses to the center. 4-1

S3Eiwiq.png

The rest of the match was just simple time-wasting and a bit of defending.

Mid Sussex Junior Cup Final

Fairfield are a Level 19 side. Botaka's now arrived and will start.

wcRhxkF.png

3cduaLn.png

We start off, and several are complacent. Most importantly, both strikers. So, poor or weak shots are all we offer. 

45 minutes: Even the announcer says it's a drab match, and I let them know I'm unhappy. Most respond positively, but Lobjoit is demotivated, and goes from complacent to uninterested. Time to bring on Claydon instead.

50 minutes: Almost immediately, Claydon shows he's up for the task, desiring a goal, but it's wide.

qynQikw.png

62 minutes: A long ball, and Relizani reaches it. Williams comes in for the tackle, bumps Relizani, but misses the tackle. Relizani still has the ball, and their keeper's left in the lurch. 1-0

pMsT7ID.png2l9VUWr.pngAz7HCWX.png

63 minutes: If we can just hold onto this lead...The players are wearing out in these rainy conditions, so I sub on Day(MC) and Blackmore(DC), as Regis and Botaka weren't playing well.

71 minutes: Honestly, they're a good side, and have given us some worries about scoring several times in this match. Their trouble is the odd mistake, and we make them pay. Armstrong saves Claydon's strong shot, but doesn't grab the ball. Tierney's on it in a flash, sneaking the shot past the defender and keeper. 2-0

lohd2b8.pngNfL0qHO.pngbg4KkjR.png

74 minutes: By now, everyone's calm and confident. They're working like a well-oiled team, passing quickly and defending as a pack. All it took was an interception, a ball forward, a couple passes and a blazing shot. 3-0

138RF5V.png

83 minutes: It's those long balls they can't handle, I tell you. Another interception, long ball, and Relizani dribbles down the left wing, cuts inside, and takes on 3 defenders and the keeper for another goal. 4-0 BOOM, baby!

SgABn2K.png

"Game's going to Penalty kicks"...ha!

A horrible performance by Fairfield, especially in the last half, and we take home our 4th and final title of the season.

The Title and 4 Trophies!!

rESXYna.png

bg7eVkZ.png

Musings on Low Low League Play

Extraordinary attributes turn "useless" players into "key" players

Attributes are not always what they seem, in lower leagues.

For Example: Typically, a defender with plenty of strength is required. Stamp doesn't have much, but his incredible pace(in comparison) becomes strength.  Most players have poor balance and strength themselves, so his lightning pace knocks them over. He can then speed off on a counter attack.

Or, with Edmans, I realized a slow, clumsy, giant 6'9" midfielder who has incredible jumping and heading ability, and nary an attribute elsewhere can be vital. That midfielder can win 90%+ of headers, helping keep possession, regain possession, or start counter attacks.

So, look at attributes in new ways, and players with a far above avg attribute can be a great asset.

Substitute changes triumph over tactical changes

Of course, a solid tactic is required no matter what level. But once that's done, the minor tweaks required in top level matches are no longer needed. Players will typically be tactically inept, slow to adapt, and slow to follow changing instructions. This first season, I very rarely made any tweak or change during the match. What I did do, was manage subs.

This is so important because players are inconsistent, have low/poor stamina, and low determination/finicky morale.

Examples:

It's 35 minutes in, a defender that had 7.1 and 7.9 ratings the previous 2 matches, now has a 5.9 rating. Sub him before he loses you the match, and hope his replacement can do better.

You're a goal down, and for the past 30 minutes 4 players have been "Looking very nervous". Pick the best options to sub, and bring on players with better morale.

The other team will always wear out towards the end of the match. Reduce your player's fatigue during the match, then sub on your forward men to create a goal, as their defenders are worn out and can no longer keep up.

It's 2-2, and your striker's turned complacent. A half-time talk turns him to "uninterested". Sub him NOW to bring on a striker willing to get the job done.

Players are more "individual" and less "team"

Top levels would see players, once cohesive, react generally as team. Everyone's morale's in the dumps, or everyone's confident, or everyone's nervous, etc. Here, players are individual entities. A goal down, and one player is normal, one is nervous, one is very nervous, one is confident, and one is even complacent. This has pro's and cons. One pro is that an unhappy player will not suddenly dump everyone else's morale into an abyss.

Goalkeepers and defenders are poor, so great long shot ability in midfield and attack is vital

The dreaded unnecessary long-shots that suck away real chances at the top levels are now desired. Defenders will regularly open up space for a shot, and keepers will have much less chance to save or even see the shot.

We have a lot of long shots every game, and a good majority of them become goals. This is how we gained several wins, with long shots late in the game against tired defenders.

A great free-kick/penalty-kick taker is also vital

Along the same lines, penalty kicks are not saved. They're goin' in. So are free kicks, unless they're far away. Most of Lobjoit's 24 goals in 31 games came from free kicks he sent right into goal, long shots, and penalty kicks. 

End of Season: Stats

XWnHa1c.png

Well, we creamed the league, but I'm thinking that goals/shot attempts ratio should be better. Not sure what's good/normal, though.

I do want Regis to stop trying shots, as he seems to be a poor scorer. *note to add PI*

x6UPpkc.pngyZDVeWk.png

Crosses need to be way better too, but in trying to accomodate Edmans, I had "hit early crosses". Now that he's gone, I'll try to reduce crosses attempted. Our passing is beautiful, though.

uRjkT0C.png

Regis is a midfielder, why does he foul everyone?? 

Cu7QJGu.png

Just some stats, interesting to see. Banda's done very well for us. and Relizani and Lobjoit MUST stay.

G2spQrK.png

End of Season: Financial Review

Earned a bit. The cup runs and new sponsors helped alot. 

PLaVxmH.png9EjPK1u.png

But, besides that, mainly the months alternated between raking in the cash, to bleeding money:

lxVV9Jb.pngWshf9Zq.png

Oh sorry, did I exaggerate?  :p

gosh great thread!  Amazed you've never lost more than £1 though, usually in the lower leagues you lose money like its going out of fashion, even with a strict wage budget, actually most clubs I've managed would make a loss even if the wage spent was £0! (due to other costs)

On 3/21/2017 at 03:21, mrdanbartlett said:

gosh great thread!  Amazed you've never lost more than £1 though, usually in the lower leagues you lose money like its going out of fashion, even with a strict wage budget, actually most clubs I've managed would make a loss even if the wage spent was £0! (due to other costs)

Thank you!

Well, at this point, the cups really helped, and as there's $0 wages, $0 staff salaries, a small, worn-out rented pitch, and very little travel, it doesn't seem to be much of a worry at this point. Happily. :)

Pre-Season Happenings

Well, considering we had done so well in the league and cups, and had a few players worthy of levels far above ours, I knew it'd be difficult to keep them over the summer.

Little did I know, everyone was watching this little team, and it's turnabout from extinction to 22nd Tier "cup glory". I've had several questions from press about jobs I'm linked to, and a few job offers, from the 9th, 12th, and 16th Tiers. I've since had 5 more offers.

E4jALGY.pngyBXEoZg.pngcruzpcP.pngeKIV0tm.png

Ever since pre-season started, it's been a barrage of offers for practically every player. Thankfully, most of them are happy to stay in our side, knowing they'll get plenty of games here, rather then sitting on a bench higher up.

But, 4 have moved on.

NIKXM0s.png

Blackmore I wanted gone anyways, and Claydon is ok to lose. But our keeper, Banda, who did so well, and Regis, our best midfielder, are big hits.

The reason is: the transfer market has changed drastically in just one season.

At the start, most teams are filled up with their set squads, and so free players are desperate to find a club, any club. Now, though, with retirees, good/bad form shown, transfers, injuries, etc, most players worth anything have found a club.

Therefore, 95% of those who want to sign for us are youth players from low-bottom level teams.

Which means I'm looking through a pile of scout reports for players with no training, no experience, and no current ability.

On top of that, Botaka is now the 3rd player to be unhappy or actually complain about squad depth.

sRlvJoo.png

Apparently, it's worrying the players as well, that some good players have left, more may leave, and the new player prospects are not looking good.

Archived