FM17: West Ham Utd - Fortune's always hiding

herne79

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm finally getting to it, but here is a few posts on my save that I'm doing for my YT Channel.

Summer Transfers

In

Jefferson 5m From Botafogo - I'm not a fan of Adrian as far as his consistency, and I had long term target set as Rajkovic. Jefferson was the man to fill the role between this period and also to tutor my young goal keepers as I was focusing on developing youth. Model Professional Personality was perfect for that.

Ozan Tufan 8m from Fenerbache - All around solid midfielder to add to the likes of Noble in the center of the park. Need a DLP to play here and whilst I like Obiang and Kouyate, I was looking for a youngster to mold here.

Riedewald 19.25m from Ajax - The Major summer signing and was planning big things for him and Reece Oxford as a future center back pairing. 

John Guidetti 10.5m from Celta Vigo - Zaza would have been my striker if I couldn't find one in the summer. But for the football I was planning to play, Carroll wasn't the best fit and I prefer giving game time to players that are contracted to my club. Guidetti was the Complete Forward I was looking for.

Dominic Iorfa 9.75m from Wolves - Yes I probably over paid but I was hoping to turn this gem of a defender into something epic. 

Kim Kallstrom & Angelo Palombo - Tutors for the youngsters.

14dd7c67f1fc2c009eaaf58a3b28df20.png

Out

Sofiane Feghouli 26.5m to PSG - Great player and fit my formation but probably wasn't going to get into my first team in my 433 set up with the likes of Payet and Lanzini around. So when PSG came in with big money, I accepted.

Diafra Sakho 8.5m to West Brom - Decent striker but needed better in my opinion for the goals of my club.

Andy Carroll 15.25m to Wolfsburg - I love Andy Carroll but injury prone and not fitting the style I'd be playing, he made me some money to sign the players I wanted.

7d0f33cd48023be6f2dd537e21811114.png

So we started preseason really well, but then the season form was so hit and miss that we were in fear of our job come January and February period. There was no meeting with the board or anything, but it definitely wasn't going to plan.

31d89187377a19c1181720026d7aae89.jpg

acbe796cc091b539b5b5e2e32c7e66cc.png

So we were languishing around mid to lower mid table with the form, and my 433 wide was not working. So we needed to make some changes in January.

TO BE CONTINUED.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Herne, lost the Europa League Final to Spurs 2-1 though but can't win em all!!!  Might try and get Rugani in over the summer and offload a few.  Still get a bit frustrated that fringe players still moan when not playing no matter what your League position is.  Calleri is fantastic, pity that's not the case IRL!!!

On 4/29/2017 at 10:37, Sussex Hammer said:

Delighted.  Won Premier League second season.  First time I have won it since FM12 I think, a long wait!!!

Table.jpg

Squad.jpg

Results 1.jpg

Results 2.jpg

Delighted when I see West Ham do so well in FM, a fellow West Ham fan here.

Do you mind me asking what tactics you were using?

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:18, Anaconda Vice said:

Delighted when I see West Ham do so well in FM, a fellow West Ham fan here.

Do you mind me asking what tactics you were using?

Here you go.  It's one of Knaps Tactics which I just dragged back one of the three strikers to the DM area and eventually settled with a BWM D.  Sometimes I use wing backs rather than IWB.  I don't really like IWB's and prefer width but I find in this version wide players don't defend narrow enough so the IWB's seem to do the trick.  It seems to work most of the time bar the bizarre FM runs of results such as my latest intriguing run which I won 5-1, 3-0, 4-0, 2-0, 4-0, 4-2 then lost 0-4 to an Arsenal side I hadn't lost to in three seasons then 0-0 then 1-3.  Always seems to happen like that for some reason.  Anyway I have given up on the in's and out's of tactics if I find something that half works I am happy no matter how or why.....  :)

1.jpg

@Sussex Hammer

Legend!

So no tweaks to TI's or PI's?

Manu looks like he is performing well for you. I just finished my first season and qualified for the Europa League again. I managed to buy Barkley and Mahrez who should fit in nicely as rotations with Lanzini. Although I have the feeling I will try Mahrez up top somewhere or even Barkley. 

Ajer and Lafont my other signings.

I'll message you the tactic as I have a conspiracy theory mind and as soon as I post a tactic it always stops working next version!!!  :cool:  Lanzini does quite well in CM.  A tad lightweight but always seems fairly consistent and scores goals and makes assists.  Need another good CM though because Nobes is getting older!

22 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

I'll message you the tactic as I have a conspiracy theory mind and as soon as I post a tactic it always stops working next version!!!  :cool:  Lanzini does quite well in CM.  A tad lightweight but always seems fairly consistent and scores goals and makes assists.  Need another good CM though because Nobes is getting older!

I started a West Ham file a couple of days ago, I signed Fredrik Midtsjø fairly cheap and he has done great for me. Comfortable in a lot of positions and still room to grow!

midtsjo.png

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Well started my Champions save again and won the League for the second successive season in third year.  Never in the history of FM have I managed that!!!

Excellent stuff, great job.

1 hour ago, knap said:

IWB Narrow formations work well this year, but still great results using a back 4 and making the DM position work for you.

Yeah have to be honest it wouldn't be my first choice as whilst it's nice playing two up top I like a 4141 but just can't get it to work this year.  I know last year was a cross fest but I actually preferred that to this where I think I have probably scored about two headed goals in 3 seasons!  I also have the same tactic as you know but with wing backs and both have great crossing stats but they get constantly blocked by full backs and go for corners which are also very hit and miss and maybe you might get a handful of goals from second phase from the corner.  

That's my main gripe with the game to be honest.  One year it's structured wide formations with five man midfields that work, the next it's narrow fluid with IWB's etc, etc, and it never seems to be a balanced engine where as long as you get it right anything can work.  So whilst I am enjoying it I'm not really playing the way I want to play.  I certainly wouldn't have played this way when I was a real life manager back in the day!!! 

The other irritation is sudden runs of bad results and player goal scoring droughts where they can go 8 or 9 games without a goal and suddenly one gets them going again.  Difficult to manage in FMT.

Not so sure if top players make a massive difference in this version either as my squad below shows.  Not exactly filled with world class superstars!

Still fun and addictive though...... :)

squad.jpg

There is a 66pt gap between my  3430 tactic and my 4231 and 442 another 26pts adrift. I also prefer last years to this but still way off where it should be. 

The consolation for me is that 34221 is a formation Spurs used last season, and works well in FM17. Probably WH used it last year so may be worth a try.

If you have a save with a run of bad form you can send it to me to see if I can spot any issues. 

6 hours ago, knap said:

There is a 66pt gap between my  3430 tactic and my 4231 and 442 another 26pts adrift. I also prefer last years to this but still way off where it should be. 

The consolation for me is that 34221 is a formation Spurs used last season, and works well in FM17. Probably WH used it last year so may be worth a try.

If you have a save with a run of bad form you can send it to me to see if I can spot any issues. 

Thanks Knap can you link me to that 34221 as it would be good to have a Plan B.  RE The save do you need a save "before" the bad form or is "after" any good?

I find my team is a good side if I get ahead, especially an early goal but it's when I go behind things can get problematic, especially against lower teams.  I just struggle to break them down even if I try adjusting width, tempo etc.  These games tend to have a lot of chances hitting the woodwork and heroic opposition goalkeeping peformances as well so they tend to just be games that you are destined not to win!!

The save would need to be at start or during bad form. I tend not to change the tactic but try subs or moving players, but attack on slow pace can work.

Wheels of Fire tactics are more top team and Goodbye underdog.

• 4 weeks later...

So gents.  Who would you suggest as potential signings for the 2019/2020 season?  Have attached my squad below and I need to cut the fat a bit and maybe bring in one or two quality players.  Had some sort of a Brexit announced at the start of 2018/2019 but couldn't make heads or tails of it to be honest!!  Hard Brexit, Soft Brexit, I haven't a clue!!!

Going to try and offload Ayew, Nordtveit and possibly Antonio because he just doesn't really fit into a 4132 despite trying to retrain him as a wing back.  Will have to take a heavy loss on Ayew considering my predecessors outrageous outlay of 20 M for him.  Dembele I may try and loan out and see if he develops but he is very hit and miss.  Fonte is retiring but Oxford has developed well so a shoe in there and I am in two minds about whether to keep Romero as a back up because he isn't as good as previous versions.

Age wise Reid is now 30 and Ogbonna 31 so I suspect another season or two at the top is the maximum for those two.  Noble will probably be no more than rotation as he is now 32 so will probably need another top midfielder to come in but there is a decent balance of younger players and mid to late 20 somethings.

Don't want to overload on players so I reckon a top class central midfielder to replace Noble and a decent back up to Lanzini maybe an idea.

Thoughts appreciated.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5da7ad839d7499354ea883f1f43d0397.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Never ever in the history of FM have I won the League three times in a row or repeated the treble!!!  :eek:

Get in sussex, top work :):thup::applause:.

Can you get hold of Slaven and pass on some tips?

4 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Get in sussex, top work :):thup::applause:.

Can you get hold of Slaven and pass on some tips?

Er, buy more good players than bad!!!!!  :lol:

I did make a ricket though.  Bought Isco in January but he just hasn't settled and I can't get rid.  Both Athletico and Barca wanted him but he turned them both down so stuck with him it seems.

Thanks Matt, I think my face was a bit like Nobles in your avatar when I won again!!!!

The only irritant is that it must take years to build up a reputation.  It's probably one of my longest saves ever in FM as I usually only play a couple of years and start again but after 4 years and three EPL titles in a row I would have expected for some bigger name players to have become possibly interested in a move.  You get a few, for instance I managed to buy Lukaku but that was after a season at Barca where he hardly played.  My issue is with players like Aguero or De Bruyne for example.  In my save City haven't won a thing and have finished 7th, 14th, 7th, 8th, so no Champions League football either and yet keep players like those mentioned.  I may be wrong but it seems possibly like certain players are hardcoded not to leave, especially unless it's to certain clubs.  Chelsea haven't won a tournament in my save either and yet 4 years down the line Hazard, Costa, Willian, Fabregas etc are still there and Icardi turned me down for them.   

Even in LL I'm puzzled by players accepting less money and then going to clubs a League below. There is a loyalty attribute but not high with Aguero or De Bruyne and both ambitious.

Are you still using that 4141 certainly working well for you.

4 hours ago, knap said:

Even in LL I'm puzzled by players accepting less money and then going to clubs a League below. There is a loyalty attribute but not high with Aguero or De Bruyne and both ambitious.

Are you still using that 4141 certainly working well for you.

Nope I use the 4132 which was I think one of your 4312 tactics but I just drew the AM back to DM so it's basically this :

...........................CF S..............DLF S OR F9 S..................

..................CM S............CM A..............BBM S.................

.....................................BWM D........................................

IWB S..................BPD D..............CB D...................IWB S

.......................................SK S............................................

8 minutes ago, knap said:

IWBs are a bit overpowered, but you really make than dm position work for you.

yeah I agree re the IWB's but I guess something is always overpowered or under powered each year.  The DM only has mark tighter as an extra instruction but it just seems to suit Kouyate,

• 3 weeks later...

I am Trying to build a mostly British team to challenge in 3 to 5 years, Teddy Bishop,Niall Ennis, Ben Brereton, George Hirst, Andre Dozzell added to wha we already have plus Shelvey and Wilshire who are apparently hammers fans in the game with Teddy Sheringham Sat next to me in the dugout should be interesting

14 hours ago, Bilbaoboy said:

I am Trying to build a mostly British team to challenge in 3 to 5 years, Teddy Bishop,Niall Ennis, Ben Brereton, George Hirst, Andre Dozzell added to wha we already have plus Shelvey and Wilshire who are apparently hammers fans in the game with Teddy Sheringham Sat next to me in the dugout should be interesting

I'm playing a similar game @Bilbaoboy, I'm in the 2019/2020 season and Andre Dozzell is awesome. Niall Ennis is a beast, but his mental stats are really letting him down.

Yeah Dozzell is coming on nicely, Ennis is pure physical specimin and Brereton i took to the U21s as im duel manager, Bought James Tarkowski because he looks like a west ham player and has the best BPD preffered moves

Dissapointed in Bishop though he always comes up on wonderkid lists but he never develops for me

Just brought in Grealish also to complete the set

• 1 month later...

heading into my 5th season with West Ham and have built a very tidy squad of potential stars and wondered how others are getting on?

Finished 7th last season despite fighting out top 3 all season. Unfortunately had a blip and lost 5 of my last 6 and missed out on champions league.

Sticking with my Monaco 2017 like 4-2-2-2 formation with a holding midfielder, playmaker, 2 wingers and 2 strikers.

Anyone also West Ham? and have some advice on my team?

12.png

Into the third season, having finished fifth last year (14th the previous year, having taken over in November when Bilic was sacked in 20th position) and the club have been taken over by a tycoon. Was enjoying building up, so I am unsure if I will reknew when my contract is up at the end of the season.

Going into the season I was playing a 4-3-2-1 with the following:

(GK) Jack Butland

(RB) Sam Byram (CB) Chris Smalling - Gustavo Gomez (LB) Aaron Creswell

(CM) Gideon Jung - Lucas Tousart - Mario Lemina

(AM) Ross Barkley - Raheem Sterling

(ST) Michy Batshuayi

Switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Michael Antonio coming in on the wing and Sterling back to LW, where he is unfortunate less effective, but the formation seemed to be getting figured out so we changed.

Missed out on Leon Bailey due to my tactic change and have regretted it. Looking at Bentaleb and Embolo who are doing well at Schalke for the January window. Draxler is also transfer listed at Barca, but doesn't seem interested. Will add screenshots later

2021/2022

An incredible last day of the season to win the Premier League title for a fifth successive year.  Looked like I had blown it with a few games left with a narrow 2-1 home loss to Arsenal which was annoying because we only lost two at home and conceded 7 all season.  Arsenal had 9 successive wins to leave themselves to just win at home to Liverpool on the last day and they hadn't lost at home all year.  So I suspect a crate of champagne will be winging it's way over to Liverpool's Pep Guardiola after this!!!!  Never in FM have I before had highlights of my own game going but being more concerned about the latest scores in the left hand corner of the screen!!  As Sir Alex Ferguson said after a famous Champions League win once "B***** Hell" !!! 

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an emoticon for "Phew!!!"

results.jpg

Table.jpg

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Great job @Sussex Hammer.  How's your team looking these days?  Any targets for the new season?

I'm finding it tough now as it's 2022/23 and a lot of players are either retired/retiring or getting older.  I also haven't exactly made the best decisions at times by purchasing players at too higher price and then when they don't do the job I find them difficult to shift at a decent return.  Prime example was buying Isco for  35 million a few seasons back and then when I realised he was hopeless in the PL I couldn't shift him for three seasons until finally I managed to get rid to Athletico for 18 million so made a loss.  My fault for giving him to big a wage because no-one would pay it when I wanted rid.  Odd thing was in my last season Barca offered 29 mill for him which I accepted but as it got towards the end of the window Barca said they couldn't free up funds to buy so we kept delaying until I missed out because the window shut.  Barca not being able to afford him?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Unless they had an embargo or something I can't work out why. 

A few others I have probably wasted money on are Will Hughes and Lewis Cook who I got in my "lets go for English" period.  Neither have really performed but are still at the Club.  That's the thing that annoys me with FM is that the AI asks for stupid prices for "good" players where I get offered (if I get offers at all) peanuts for my players.  Someone tried to buy Barbosa after three high scoring seasons and offered 15 million.  Ridiculous.

Anyway I usually just splash out on a couple of players and I have decided to part with a Club record 75 mill on Dybala this summer.  It's a lot but I have never had the guy in my team so why not.  Also purchased Kai Havertz for 32 mill and I am hoping he will be a long term replacement for 35 year old Mark Noble.

My main struggles are finding long term replacements for Cresswell and Jenkinson who are now both in their 30's.  I use them as IWB's and it's a difficult search.  Byram never quite developed for me but is still young enough to be decent back up and Masuaku generally gets the nod over Cress now so I'm ok but my wing backs are such a big part of my way of playing that I noticed Cresswell getting skinned a bit too much for my liking last season.  I had both Cresswell and Arthur injured at the same time so had to play Jenks and then a rookie at LWB and lost both games so it really shows how important the WB'S are, so if you have any ideas I would appreciate it.

The other annoyance is that even though I have a good Youth Coach in Thomas Albeck no youngsters have really come through.  I loan them out to lower PL or Championship teams but they never come back with increased stats and in FMT I don't really know how much more I can do to improve them.  Albeck is a major jump on my last Head of Youth and yet nothing changes so as I say I don't really know how to produce my own.  Anyway this is my current squad.  Need a loanee striker because just my luck both Lukaku and Barbosa picked up long term injuries in friendlies!!

squad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well a sixth League Title in a row (all with my tinkered Knap's tactic) but a devastating end to the season when despite only three defeats all season and very rarely not finding the net I draw two blanks against Man United and Tottenham in the FA Cup Final losing on penalties and the Champions League Final losing 1-0 to Tottenham despite dominating both matches.  FM can be cruel !!!

Pretty happy with my squad now though and will only look to bring a couple in replacing the retiring Mark Noble and Kouyate. 

Sqaud.jpg

Results 1.jpg

Results 2.jpg

Table.jpg

5 hours ago, mikcheck said:

You have some really good players there! I'm intrigued with your 2 IWB though, you have no width when attacking, but it shouldn't be much of a trouble, with that quality players.

Didn't have the quality players as such in the early years but the tactic still worked fine (thanks to Knap).  I have tried same tactic with wing backs and I honestly don't see a difference with width.  Crossing in FM17 isn't as good so for me it doesn't matter too much, even with them as IWB's they get their fair share of assists and you never really see them too central.

Archived