FM17 Man Utd Tactics (full version) opinions sought

Hi,

Long time reader first time poster.  I've played football manager since 05 and always start with a Man Utd save.  Usually this will result in winning the league and champions league within the first few seasons (as I'm sure it does for all of you).  I've just purchased FM17 and whilst it doesn't look too different to '16, my results certainly are..  I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same challenge and if anyone has any suggestions to rectify?

I have played 12 games in the league, am currently 8th having w6 d4 L2 with a GD of +6.... this is honestly the worst I have ever done on FM and its quite embarrassing!!  I can't even blame it on a tough set of fixtures.

I am playing 4-2-3-1 against similar and smaller teams and 4-1-2-3 (AMR&AML&CF) against bigger teams however don't seem to be able to get going.  Hardly ever score in the first half ('17 much more realistic I guess!?) and constantly drawing matches 1-1 or 2-2.  If I could work out how to screen shot I would (yea I know) however I will describe my tactics as: retain possession, exploit both flanks, play out of defence, look for overlap, work into box, more expressive (against teams I should beat) closing down more and higher tempo.   Ususally Control although change this depending on game situation.

On previous editions of FM the tactics and players used would of been more than enough to dominate with Man Utd however this year it seems I need to do more.... and I can't figure out what!?  

Any suggestions for new tactics and any ideas in general will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

n.b I haven't signed any new players - just using the ones I started with for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Without seeing your tactic I would say you're way too careful. You play control which is a cautious mentality. On top of that you ask your players to

1. retain possesion, while I get your idea this restrict possible killer passes too much. I'd tick that off.
  2. Look for overlap, work into box. I still get your idea, but that ask your players to hold onto the ball, while on the other hand you instruct them to play on higher tempo. Look for overlap may not be needed I think

These combined with play out of the defence will result in patient build up and then...nothing. You'll face a wall of 8-9 defenders probably organized and sitting deep because you just gave them enough time to reorganize. I didn't see your tactic, but it's likely your fullbacks will get forward too, maybe your central midfielders too and you've just invited your opponent to counter-attack you to death.

Agree with RTH and James9...... Control is equal to above average Risk taking and is certainly not a cautious approach..... The team will play higher, wider and press more than standard. You don't need many TI or PI changes (e.g. Press more or Push higher) before you are equal to attacking or even overload.

OP. I normally don't play much singleplayer on FM anymore. but when I do, I like to take my beloved Man Utd and set out to either break some sort of record, or I will try to live off the academy entirely for new players. I have been trying for the last couple of versions to get a 3 man defence tactic going, and on FM16 this was done mainly with United in a 361/370 tactic. 

I have had very good success on FM17 as well with a 3511, which I have blatantly stolen all ideas from the amazing Johan Cruyff's 3-4-3 Diamond thread you can find here: 

The tactic has it pro's and con's like everyone else, but the fact I can get Pogba scoring 20+ goals per season, and we are playing beautiful attacking football makes me care less about the 5-4 defeats that sometimes occur. If you want to dominate games, while playing beautiful football, I can definately recommend something like this. 

Archived