"Wing"ing it in Asia...

Raware

qoDCuTQ.png

Another year...another FM...and another FM save for me to embark on!  Having lived in Asia a few years ago for a number of years, it’ll always be a special place for me, so for this years FM, it’ll see me going back to Asia where I’ve had a couple of successful saves in the past, most notably in my “Way of the Dragon” thread a few years ago.  However, this year will see me playing along side youth only rules which only allows me to sign players that graduate from the clubs youth system.

Game : Football Manager 2017 (PC)

Database size : Large

Leagues loaded :

• Australia (Hyundai A-League only)

• China (First Division and above)
  • Hong Kong (China PR) (Premier League only)
  • India (National Football League only)
  • Indonesia (Premier Division and above)
  • Malaysia (Premier League and above)
  • Singapore (S-League only)
  • South Korea (K-League Challenge and above)

I’ve loaded up all of the available “out of the box” Asian leagues and holidayed for a year which has taken me to pre-season 2017/18.

Previous experience : Sunday morning footballer

I’ve chosen to start in Hong Kong (where I lived previously) and have taken over the newly promoted Wing Yee.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C2Pr8AR.png

Wing Yee : A background

Founded in 2006, Wing Yee are a professional Hong Kong football club currently playing in the Hong Kong Premier League.  The club play their home games at **** Kok Stadium and possess basic training facilities and very basic youth facilities.  The club also has basic junior coaching and a basic youth recruitment network.  Having enjoyed success as recently as 2016, Wing Yee are a club with a growing history.  Wing Yee won the Hong Kong 3rd tier in 2008 and 2015, and finished runners-up in the Hong Kong 4th tier for the only time in 2008.  They were promoted to the top tier for the first time in the clubs history after winning the 2nd tier in 2016.

BwmuuJw.jpg

MongKok Stadium

Wing Yee - Pre-Season 2017/18

C2Pr8AR.png

League expectation

Hong Kong Premier League : Board expectation - Fight bravely against relegation : Media expectation - 11th (out of 11)

Cup expectations

Hong Kong FA Cup : 1st round

Transfer budget : £12k

Wage budget : £6k p/w

Current wage bill : £5.5k p/w

Season tickets sold : 0

My views for the season ahead… : Having taken over the newly promoted Wing Yee, I’ve inherited a squad that looks very light both in terms of quality and numbers.  With just 13 players at the club, the pick of those players seem to be our most experienced players, 43 year old Detinho, 34 year old Yaw Anane and 34 year old Zhang Chunhui.

The media are expecting us to finish bottom of the league while the board are wanting us to fight bravely against relegation, something which could be difficult to achieve especially with such a small squad of players, added to the fact that I won’t be able to sign any players either due to the youth only policy that I’m playing this save under.

Wing Yee - Youth Intake 2017/18

C2Pr8AR.png

With this save solely reliant on youth players due to the youth only policy that I’m playing this save under, the announcement of the clubs youth intake is probably the most important date on the calendar for us.  This season sees my first youth intake at the club as we gave trials to 16 youth players in all. 

Of those 16 players, only Hui Wing Ho (18A), Lee Yiu Chung (18E), Cheung Ka Ho (18H), Lo Wai Chung (18I), Ng Chi Wing (18O) and Cheng Ming Fung (18P) were offered contracts, the remaining 10 players were released from the club.

Wing Yee - Season Review 2017/18

C2Pr8AR.png

Hong Kong Premier League/Hong Kong Premier League progress/Hong Kong Premier League fixtures : Everybody was expecting us to struggle this season as we were sure fire favourites for relegation, but the players performed fantastically well as we hovered around the middle of the table for the majority of the season…and that’s where we finished in the end as we finished 5th in the league, meaning that we qualified for the Premier League Playoff! :).

Hong Kong Premier League Playoff : A new format for the Hong Kong Premier League sees teams that finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th play each other in a knockout format, with the eventual winner qualifying for the preliminary rounds of the Asian Champions League.

We disposed of Yuen Long in the Semi Final fairly easily before beating Eastern 1-0 in the Final thanks to an Adam Tse goal to claim the Playoff title and unbelievably qualify for the preliminary rounds of next seasons Asian Champions League!

Hong Kong FA Cup : We were only expected to reach the 1st round so to reach the Semi Final and go out on penalties to South China is a great achievement for us.

Squad : As I said in my pre-season report, the squad was short of numbers and quality when I arrived and with no option of bringing in new players because of the youth only policy I’m playing this save under, it meant that we had to rely on the existing players at the club and the youth players that came through the intake.  The group of players did amazingly well to not only avoid relegation fairly easily in the end but to finish in a mid table position and winning the league playoff, meaning that we qualify for next seasons Asian Champions League!  At the grand age of 44, Detinho had a decent season for us as he scored 11 goals in 25 games and with his imminent retirement at the end of the season, he’ll be a big miss for us next season.  Adam Tse finished as the clubs top goal scorer as he netted 12 times in 25 games while Chow Wai Lim and Kan Tsz Him also had a good season for us as they claimed 9 goals and 17 assists between them.

Finances : Not looking great as we lost £258,401 which puts us over £80k in debt :(.

My views of the season… : A fantastic debut season for us in the Hong Kong Premier League which culminated in us winning the playoff and qualifying for next seasons Asian Champions League Preliminary round!

My aims for next season… : Despite our great season this year, avoiding relegation will still be our main priority next season and our cause won’t be helped with Detinho retiring at the end of the season, as it’ll leave us light in forward positions.

Career Summary

Season     Team          League          	  Position    FA Cup	    	Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    Wing Yee    	 HK Premier League     	    5th       Semi Final	Playoff winners

Trophy Cabinet
HK Premier League Playoff Winners - 2017/18

13 hours ago, Jason the Yank said:

Already on track to win the lot. :D

I'm glad that winning 8, drawing 8 and losing 4 whilst finishing mid-table is a sure fire sign that I'll win the lot :D.  It wouldn't be the same @Jason the Yank if you wasn't the first to make your usual monotonous, repetitive comment in my thread :D 

10 hours ago, JMA said:

Well done pal. How long do you intend to stay here?

At the minute, I'm hoping I'll stay at the club for the whole of the save but you never know...

8 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

Great start. 

I like the censoring of the stadium name :lol:

Lol...why I never play as Scunthorpe! *EDIT : Scunthorpe used to get censored on the old forums!

8 hours ago, volgalonso said:

That start looks very promising. HK League can get a bit dull at times so ACL is a good way to get over that dullness. Best of luck.

:thup:.  It can and has done in the past for me but I'm hoping the youth only aspect of the save can add to the longevity of this save :D.

7 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

"Ol' Silver Shoes is back again..." :D

Best of luck!

The shoes have just made cameo appearances these past few years :(.  Maybe they'll bring me luck this year! :D

Wing Yee - Pre-Season 2018/19

C2Pr8AR.png

League expectation

Hong Kong Premier League : Board expectation - Fight bravely against relegation : Media expectation - 8th (out of 11)

Cup expectations

Hong Kong Community Cup : Not important

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Attempt to be competitive

Hong Kong League Cup : Don’t get outclassed

Hong Kong FA Cup : Quarter Final

Asian Champions League : 2nd Preliminary round

Transfer budget : £14k (last season £12k)

Wage budget : £6.5k p/w (last season £6k)

Current wage bill : £6.25k p/w (last season £5.5k)

Season tickets sold : 0 (+0 from last season)

My views for the season ahead… : After our great season last year, the boards expectation is still for us to fight bravely against relegation this season which keeps the pressure off us, while the media are expecting us to finish 8th in the league.  Expectations in the FA Cup are to reach the Quarter Final but we’re not expected to compete in the remaining cups that we’re involved in which again, keeps the pressure off us. 

With the loss of Detinho due to his retirement, our squad is definitely weaker than last season but we’ll be hoping that Cheng Ming Fung (18P) can chip in with a few goals as he’ll be the one replacing Detinho.

Good luck.

On 11/6/2016 at 17:00, Raware said:

C2Pr8AR.png

Wing Yee : A background

Founded in 2006, Wing Yee are a professional Hong Kong football club currently playing in the Hong Kong Premier League.  The club play their home games at **** Kok Stadium and possess basic training facilities and very basic youth facilities.  The club also has basic junior coaching and a basic youth recruitment network.  Having enjoyed success as recently as 2016, Wing Yee are a club with a growing history.  Wing Yee won the Hong Kong 3rd tier in 2008 and 2015, and finished runners-up in the Hong Kong 4th tier for the only time in 2008.  They were promoted to the top tier for the first time in the clubs history after winning the 2nd tier in 2016.

BwmuuJw.jpg

MongKok Stadium

Damn, Hong Kong is such a beautiful country.

22 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I hope Wong Ho Man becomes a legend. What a name!

Ha ha...I'm told by my staff that Wong Ho Man could have the potential to be a good player for us so you may well see him around for a few years to come! :D

2 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

Deuce Bigalow - Asian Gigolo?

Yan Man Ho (19C) on the other hand wasn't good enough and was released from the club.  You probably could see him somewhere down MongKok, Tsim Tsa Tsui or Yau Ma Tei though...not that I'd know, apparently that's the place for gigolo's...so I'm told :D

1 hour ago, abirdc said:

Good luck.

Damn, Hong Kong is such a beautiful country.

It's an amazing country and one that I was lucky enough to live in for 3 years.  If I had the chance to, I'd move back there :)

Wing Yee - Season Review 2018/19

C2Pr8AR.png

Hong Kong Premier League/Hong Kong Premier League progress/Hong Kong Premier League fixtures : We followed up last seasons great league performance with an even better one as although we only finished with 3 more points than last season, we finished as runners up in the league on goal difference, meaning that once again, we qualified for the Premier League Playoff for the chance to qualify for next seasons Asian Champions League 2nd Preliminary round again! :).

Hong Kong Premier League Playoff : A tough draw for us in the Playoff Semi Final saw us overcome a good South China side as we beat them 2-1 to set up a meeting with Rangers (HKG) in the final.  It was our 5th meeting of the season with Rangers (HKG) and thanks to goals from Cheng Ming Fung (18P), Chow Wai Lim, Kan Tsz Him and Adam Tse, we beat them for a 4th time this season to guarantee our place in next seasons Asian Champions League 2nd Preliminary round!

Hong Kong Community Cup : The seasons curtain opener saw us play last seasons league champions as we beat them on penalties after a 0-0 bore draw, to claim the cup for the first time in the clubs history.

Hong Kong Senior Shield : We cruised into the final after wins against BC Glory Sky and Rangers (HKG) before beating Kitchee on penalties to claim the clubs first ever Senior Shield trophy! :D

Hong Kong League Cup/Hong Kong League Cup Group B : We topped our group with 2 wins out of 2 but Kitchee eliminated us from the competition as they beat us in extra time in the Semi Final.

Hong Kong FA Cup : We progressed further than what was expected of us as we made it to the Semi Final for a second successive season but it was once again Kitchee who sent us out of the competition as once again they beat us after extra time.

Asian Champions League : There was no expectation on us in the Asian Champions League other than to reach the 2nd preliminary round, which is the round at which we entered the competition at, so anything more was a bonus for us.  We surprisingly beat Selangor after extra time in the 2nd round and went so close to qualifying for the group stages but Hachioji Tigre proved to be too strong for us in the end as they beat us in extra time to end any fairytale of us making the group stages.

Squad : With the loss of Detinho because of his retirement last season, I was expecting the squad to be weaker for it but if anything, the squad have been stronger as Cheng Ming Fung (18P) stepped up to fill the void that Detinho left by banging in 15 goals in 32 games as well as claiming the Hong Kong Young Player of the Year award!  His strike partner Adam Tse also had a good season as he scored 16 times in 33 games to form what will hopefully be a decent strike partnership for us in the next few years.  Chow Wai Lim and Kan Tsz Him once again had great seasons for us as they scored 24 goals between them while Kan Tsz Him also claimed the Hong Kong Footballer of the Year award!  

Under 18’s : Altogether so far in just 2 seasons, we’ve had 10 players come through the clubs youth system that have been good enough to sign permanently for us and 7 of those have already made the step up to the first team meaning that the under 18 squad is a little light in numbers at the minute.  But the 3 players that are currently in the under 18 squad seem to have the potential to perhaps push for the first team in the next few years, so hopefully they’ll continue their development in the under 18 squad in the next few years.

Finances : Not good as we lost another £200k this season which puts us over £300k in debt!  We need to start making a profit soon if we’re to progress as a club both on the pitch and off it.

My views of the season… : Another fabulous season for us which saw us claim 3 pieces of silverware (Community Cup, Senior Shield and the Season Playoff) as well as finishing as runners up in the league and qualifying for next seasons Asian Champions League 2nd Preliminary round :D.

My aims for next season… : We’ve had two great seasons but we need to remain realistic, especially with how the strengths of teams can differ so quickly in this league so a mid table finish has to be the aim next season.  Challenging for the title is far too early for us I think and if we don’t start making a profit, we won’t be able to afford to keep our best players as they’re already making noises about new contracts which we simply can’t afford at the minute.

Career Summary

Season     Team          League                Position     Community  	    Senior 	      League	        FA 	         Asian	  	          Achievements
							      Cup	    Shield             Cup	        Cup		 Champions League
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    Wing Yee    	 HK Premier League     	 5th           -	      -		         -	        Semi Final             -		  Playoff winners
2018/19	   Wing Yee	 HK Premier League	 2nd  	    Winners	    Winners	      Semi Final        Semi Final	 East Playoff	          Playoff winners, Community Cup winners, Senior Shield winners

Trophy Cabinet

HK Premier League Playoff	-	2017/18, 2018/19
Community Cup			-	2018/19
Senior Shield			-	2018/19

Wing Yee - Pre-Season 2019/20

C2Pr8AR.png

League expectation

Hong Kong Premier League : Board expectation - Mid table position : Media expectation - 6th (out of 11)

Cup expectations

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Quarter Final

Hong Kong League Cup : Quarter Final

Hong Kong FA Cup : Be competitive

Transfer budget : £0k (last season £14k)

Wage budget : £7k p/w (last season £6.5k)

Current wage bill : £6k p/w (last season £6.25k)

My views for the season ahead… : With two great seasons for us now that has seen us finish 5th and 2nd in the league, this gives us a great platform to build on, both on and off the pitch.  The board are still remaining realistic though which I feel is the right approach as they’re only expecting a mid table finish while the media are expecting us to finish 6th in the league, which again is realistic I think.  Expectations in the cups are realistic as well as after our surprise win in the Senior Shield last season, the board just want us to reach the Quarter Final, as they do in the League Cup too.  The board don’t seem too bothered about the Community Cup or the FA Cup which keeps the pressure off us while they’re not expecting us to progress any further than the 2nd Preliminary round in the Asian Champions League either.

Obviously no real changes in the squad due to the youth only policy in this save meaning that I can’t make any signings, but the retirement of Yaw Anane will be a blow for us as he gave us both quality and experience in the middle of the park.  I’ll be hoping that our front two, Adam Tse  and Cheng Ming Fung (18P) can have another good season for us while last seasons Hong Kong Footballer of the Year Kan Tsz Him will almost certainly be pivotal for us as will defender Siu Ka Kit and captain Lee Kwok Kei who have both been making noises about leaving to join bigger clubs.

One slight concern that I have for this save now though is the fact that I’m into my 3rd season at the club (and in the save) and the number of season ticket holders hasn’t increased.  Normally I wouldn’t concern myself as much with it but with the way I’m playing this save and finances being such an important factor for the progression of both the club and the save, I’m wondering if this could be a ‘bug’ as I did start the save in the beta version :(.  Any ideas on this would be very much appreciated.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this and continue with the save. This is one of the threads thats inspiring me to do a youth only save, ive never done any form of challenge really either. Thinking about doing it through the ''create-a-club'' and having a nod toward where we grew up ;)

On 11/13/2016 at 15:23, RSJ said:

I hope you can get to the bottom of this and continue with the save. This is one of the threads thats inspiring me to do a youth only save, ive never done any form of challenge really either. Thinking about doing it through the ''create-a-club'' and having a nod toward where we grew up ;)

I hope so too as no season ticket sales and not a lot of income will seriously halt my progression in this save and may mean having to start over in another save :(.  Not found any answer to my problem yet, hopefully (not hopefully really as it'll ruin someone else's save), but if someone else experiences it or knows about it, it'll shed some light on my save.

Nice to hear this save is giving you ideas about a youth only save :thup:.  Do I sense an Alvo Athletic FC save coming up? :lol:

2 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Hhmmmm :rolleyes: A youth only AAFC...that could work!

Would be decent...just tough to do a youth save in England.  Good luck if you do decide to do it though.  I wonder if I'll make your squad like old times? :lol:

@Raware I have played FM in Hong Kong previously and the in game finance is screwed.

First, for your season ticket problem, few people will actually buy one in real life because the supporter base is way too small, especially for teams other than South China, Kitchee and Eastern. I once looked at the original database in editor and the season ticket number was left 0 for all but South China. I reckon FM use "percentage increase" to simulate increase in season ticket holders, so even a 6000% increase on the grand total of 0 is still 0.

And for your broader question on income, FM got it wrong as well. In reality teams in top league mostly have a grand sum of money from the board or sponsors at the start of season, ranging from £100,000 for relegation favourites to £2m for big guns like Eastern and South China, for them just to break even. It was not incorporated correctly into the game, so you (and pretty much everyone except sugar daddy clubs) lose money every season, especially you being a non top league team at start of the game.

There is also no League Cup in 2016/17 in real life... and Zhang Chunhui should have retired since 2014...

The in game HK database has been with issues for many years, people complained before but nothing happened. It's thought that the HK researcher was incapable/ignorant to correct the issues, and Hong Kongers write their own patches every edition to try to rectify the chronic problem.

I am sorry that the finance will not be better unless you have a tycoon takeover or get into Champions League group stage, and I hope this does not put you off playing the save... You are doing a good job so far with Wing Yee (which is actually named Easyknit Property by sponsorship reason, another mistake from the researchers). If I were you I'd resign and move to a bigger country in Asia to continue the project, one that is better researched and represented.

On 11/17/2016 at 02:19, a.panda said:

@Raware I have played FM in Hong Kong previously and the in game finance is screwed.

First, for your season ticket problem, few people will actually buy one in real life because the supporter base is way too small, especially for teams other than South China, Kitchee and Eastern. I once looked at the original database in editor and the season ticket number was left 0 for all but South China. I reckon FM use "percentage increase" to simulate increase in season ticket holders, so even a 6000% increase on the grand total of 0 is still 0.

And for your broader question on income, FM got it wrong as well. In reality teams in top league mostly have a grand sum of money from the board or sponsors at the start of season, ranging from £100,000 for relegation favourites to £2m for big guns like Eastern and South China, for them just to break even. It was not incorporated correctly into the game, so you (and pretty much everyone except sugar daddy clubs) lose money every season, especially you being a non top league team at start of the game.

There is also no League Cup in 2016/17 in real life... and Zhang Chunhui should have retired since 2014...

The in game HK database has been with issues for many years, people complained before but nothing happened. It's thought that the HK researcher was incapable/ignorant to correct the issues, and Hong Kongers write their own patches every edition to try to rectify the chronic problem.

I am sorry that the finance will not be better unless you have a tycoon takeover or get into Champions League group stage, and I hope this does not put you off playing the save... You are doing a good job so far with Wing Yee (which is actually named Easyknit Property by sponsorship reason, another mistake from the researchers). If I were you I'd resign and move to a bigger country in Asia to continue the project, one that is better researched and represented.

Thanks for the info @a.panda :thup:.  It certainly does make me feel a little more at ease knowing that there are issues with the HK league, even if it isn't great news.

I've played the HK leagues before on FM and haven't really noticed the issues as I've always allowed myself to buy and sell players which eases the financial side of it slightly.  With us relying solely on youth though and money generated by the club through season tickets and gate receipts, it does highlight the problem more so.

I've had a quick look at the other teams in the league and all of them apart from South China have zero season ticket holders so your idea that the season ticket number is left at 0 in the database and is based on "percentage increase" looks a likely answer.  It looks like this could sadly have an impact on this save :( but I'll keep going with it at the minute as if we can qualify for the Asian Champions League, it might, as you say, help my finances (or unless we get a tycoon takeover :D).  If not, then I'll probably do as you suggested and look to continue the save in the same manner (i.e. youth development) but in a different country.

Cheers again :thup:

I was going to offer contracts to more youth players than just the four (Lo Ka Chun 20K being one of them), but with the financial issue I seem to be having re: season tickets and very limited income, I decided to only sign the four, just to try and keep costs down and keep them as low as possible.  We desperately need to generate cash somehow or we'll be seeing our best players leave after next season as their contracts run out in 2021 and we can't afford to offer them what they want :(.

Good to help you @Raware. Tang Chi Him (20A) seems a decent keeper for years to come if you were to stay, although I would not say so to his hairstyle :eek:

Good luck on getting a tycoon, I played for 10 seasons in HK with FM15 and didn't see it yet (I was playing with 4 divisions, 56 teams). Another way to ease your finance is to sell your players, while they are worthy, to big clubs in HK or China. Ticketing is sadly not, and will not, be a source of significant income in game AND in life. The sponsorship that is not represented in-game is.

A silver lining to you, is that players should generally be likely to agree to contract extensions without much pay-rise :) You only need to master the technique of negotiating, and make sure the agent(s) are happy. These are my advice from playing FM15, and I hope not much has changed for this edition.

Have you considered moving to South China? You can stay in HK, have season ticket holders and a better attendance i.e. finance, and a better youth recruitment and youth coaching level. I am amazed ONE away ticket was sold for your away game to Yuen Long in May 2019 :eek: must be your in-game partner! :D

Wing Yee - Season Review 2019/20

C2Pr8AR.png

Hong Kong Premier League/Hong Kong Premier League progress/Hong Kong Premier League fixtures : A slow start for us in the league left me thinking that we might struggle this season but after 6 or 7 games we managed to find our form as we went on to finish with a point more than we did last season to once again finish as runners up in the league behind Eastern, meaning that we qualified for the Premier League Playoff for the chance to qualify for next seasons Asian Champions League 2nd Preliminary round once again.

Hong Kong Premier League Playoff : We easily beat Metro Gallery in the semi final to set up a tough draw for us in the final against Kitchee.  Kitchee peppered our goal all game and somehow didn’t find the net.  We had one shot on goal and scored it J as Kan Tsz Him found the net 8 minutes from time to book our place in next seasons Asian Champions League 2nd Preliminary round for the 3rd successive season!

Hong Kong Community Cup : The seasons curtain opener once again saw us play last seasons league champions Kitchee.  It wasn’t the same story as last season though as Kitchee comfortably beat us 3-1 to claim the seasons first piece of silverware.

Hong Kong Senior Shield : After winning the Senior Shield last season, we were unable to defend it this year as Eastern beat us 1-0 in the semi final.

Hong Kong League Cup/Hong Kong League Cup Group C : Just one goal in 2 games was enough for us to win our group but Kitchee ended any hopes of us progressing any further as they beat us 2-1 in the semi final.

Hong Kong FA Cup : We managed to win the FA Cup for the first time in the clubs history after beating South China 4-1 in the semi final and then beating surprise package and part timers Eastern District 5-1 in the final.

Asian Champions League/Asian Champions League Group E : We gained revenge on Hachioji Tigre after they beat us in the East Playoff final last season as thanks to a 120th minute winner from Cheng Ming Fung (18P), it meant that we’d qualified for the Asian Champions League Group Stage for the first time ever in the clubs history!!  We were given a tough draw as we were pitted against Japanese side Saitama UTD, Chinese side Jiangsu (who boasted the likes of Alex Teixeira, former Chelsea player Ramires and former Real Madrid full back Danilo in their squad) and Australian side Western Sydney Wanderers.  As expected, we didn’t make it out of the group stage but a win against Jiangsu and 3 draws to give us 6 points and finish 3rd in the group is an unbelievable achievement for us! 

Squad : The squad of players had another great season as they matched last years performance in the league by finishing as runners up while also performing miracles in the Asian Champions League by reaching the group stage.  Adam Tse finished as the clubs top goal scorer as he scored 16 goals in 41 games while Cheng Ming Fung (18P) scored 14 goals in 40 games.  Last seasons Hong Kong Footballer of the Year, Kan Tsz Him struggled to reach the heights that he hit last season as he’s unhappy and wants to leave for a bigger club but he still managed to score 5 goals while young striker Wong Ho Man (19N) showed a glimpse of what will hopefully be a bright future for him as he scored 5 times in what were mainly sub appearances.

Under 18’s : Just the 3 players in the under 18 squad at the minute as the players that are coming through the youth academy are by-passing the under 18’s and making the step up straight to the first team.

Finances : Starting to look worrying as we made a loss of £131, 745 this season despite our involvement in the Asian Champions League (which doesn’t offer no where near the prize money that the European Champions League offers) as we’re almost £500k in debt!

My views of the season… : Another great season for us which saw us match last seasons league performance by finishing as runners up in the league while also winning the FA Cup for the first time in the clubs history, making the Asian Champions League group stage and winning the season playoff meaning that we’ll be in next seasons Asian Champions League 2nd Preliminary round for the 3rd successive season!

My aims for next season… : Relegation isn’t even a concern for us now but we still have to be wary of over confidence especially with the league being such a strange league where teams that barely escape relegation one season, can challenge for the title the next season, as Tai Po proved this season.  We’ll be expected to challenge for a top 4/5 place next season which is realistic but with key players Lee Kwok Kei, Siu Ka Kit and Kan Tsz Him all wanting to move onto bigger clubs and with their contracts entering their last season, coupled with our financial worries that means I can’t offer them the wages that they’re demanding, it could mean that after next season, we’ll be severely hindered.

Career Summary

Season     Team          League                Position     Community  	    Senior 	      League	        FA 	         Asian	  	      
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    Wing Yee    	 HK Premier League     	 5th             -	       -		 -	        Semi Final             -  
2018/19	   Wing Yee	 HK Premier League	 2nd  	    Winners	    Winners	      Semi Final        Semi Final	 East Playoff	         
2019/20	   Wing Yee	 HK Premier League	 2nd	    Runners up      Semi Final	      Semi Final	Winners		 Group stage

Trophy Cabinet

HK Premier League Playoff	-	2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20
Community Cup			-	2018/19
Senior Shield			-	2018/19
FA Cup				-	2019/20

Great consolidation in the league, hope you could challenge the title next season!

Such a pity that finance wasn't improved even you reached Champions League group stage, the win bonus from AFC is peanuts (USD 50,000 this season in real life! I wonder which body part of Alex Teixeira you can buy with it) What's your home attendance for those matches? Given you are playing in HK Stadium I'd expect a large influx of away fans.

And how's HK League ranked in Asia in the game? The higher it climbs (in theory) bigger are the end-of-season prizes

21 hours ago, tyler16 said:

Interesting career choice. I'll be following, hopefully the quirks in Hong Kong don't get the best of you. :) 

Thanks bud :thup:.  Hopefully not!

20 hours ago, a.panda said:

Great consolidation in the league, hope you could challenge the title next season!

Such a pity that finance wasn't improved even you reached Champions League group stage, the win bonus from AFC is peanuts (USD 50,000 this season in real life! I wonder which body part of Alex Teixeira you can buy with it) What's your home attendance for those matches? Given you are playing in HK Stadium I'd expect a large influx of away fans.

And how's HK League ranked in Asia in the game? The higher it climbs (in theory) bigger are the end-of-season prizes

Thanks :thup:.  I was hoping that the money from the Asian Champions League would help us out a little but it's pittance in comparison to what the UEFA Champions League get and we can't rely on that to boost our finances :(.  We'll be lucky to afford a toe from Alex Teixeira with that kind of money! :)

Our home attendance for those Champions League games was between 600 and 1500 - (v Persipura - att 936/away 377), (v Western Sydney Wanderers - att 685/away 281), (v Saitama - att 689/away 283), (v Jiangsu - att 1479/away 1071).  So you can see we was getting around 400/500 of our own fans in those games which isn't a lot really considering it was the Champions League.

As for the HK league rank in Asia...

MDj169v.png

...as you can see, it rose last year from 18th to 15th but this season has fallen back down to 17th so we need a bit more success in Asia from ourselves or Kitchee/Eastern/South China to get any kind of prize money boost.

12 hours ago, RSJ said:

Keep plugging away mate! Enjoying this thread so much.

Cheers pal :thup:, glad to have you following and that it's encouraging you to get involved in FM again.

• 3 weeks later...

Wing Yee - Pre-Season 2020/21

C2Pr8AR.png

League expectation

Hong Kong Premier League : Board expectation - Top half position : Media expectation - 5th (out of 11)

Cup expectations

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Semi Final

Hong Kong League Cup : Not important

Hong Kong FA Cup : Not important

Transfer budget : £0k (last season £0k)

Wage budget : £6.5k p/w (last season £7k)

Current wage bill : £6k p/w (last season £6k)

My views for the season ahead… : We’ve managed to firmly establish ourselves in the league now with two consecutive 2nd place finishes.  Despite this though, we’re only predicted to finish 5th in the league and the board are only expecting a top half finish, which is again, great for us as it keeps the pressure off us.  The board don’t seem too fussed about the cup competitions either as they’re only wanting progress in the Senior Shield which is a little surprising given the good chance that we have of winning a piece of silverware in a cup competition this season.  As for the Asian Champions League, we’re not expected to qualify for the group stages but if we can, it’ll help us out financially (even though it’s not much) and it’ll hopefully help to increase the reputation of the Hong Kong First Division.

Our squad sees no changes to it through retirement this season so at least we should have a fairly settled squad for much of the season, providing that we can keep hold of Lee Kwok Kei, Siu Ka Kit, Kan Tsz Him and Adam Tse whose contracts all have just one year left on them and they’re all making noises about moving to a bigger club L.

As for the ‘concern’ that I have for this save, it seems that the number of season ticket holders won’t increase due to how the Hong Kong leagues have been researched.  Not a massive issue I know, but for a small club in a small league, any way to make money and progress is pivotal if I’m to progress the club through the Asian ranks.  I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes over the next few seasons.

It seems a great achievement for the HK league to maintain the 10-ish ranking in Asia, I always thought it would go down to 20-ish when the Champions League results were bad in the previous season.

How strict are your self-set rules on signing players? Do you allow yourself to re-sign players immediately who left the club when contract ends? Sometimes those regen players think they would get a better deal somewhere and left the club, but then other clubs weren't really interested at all and they became free agents and retired after a season or so.

Keep consolidating yourself in the league, and all the best!

Sidenote: I was thinking to submit the financial situation in long run to the bug forum, do you mind if I link your thread as an example?

1 hour ago, a.panda said:

It seems a great achievement for the HK league to maintain the 10-ish ranking in Asia, I always thought it would go down to 20-ish when the Champions League results were bad in the previous season.

How strict are your self-set rules on signing players? Do you allow yourself to re-sign players immediately who left the club when contract ends? Sometimes those regen players think they would get a better deal somewhere and left the club, but then other clubs weren't really interested at all and they became free agents and retired after a season or so.

Keep consolidating yourself in the league, and all the best!

Sidenote: I was thinking to submit the financial situation in long run to the bug forum, do you mind if I link your thread as an example?

I'm surprised too that the HK league is ranked as high as it is in Asia.  Although I have just received a message saying that the league no longer has two qualifiers for the ACL, it's just one now.  Previously the league winner automatically qualified for the group stages of the ACL with the winner of the playoff qualifying for the 2nd preliminary round.  Now the winner of the league qualifies for the 2nd preliminary round :(

I'm very strict when it comes to 'signing' players.  If a player has left the club, they won't be re-signed.  The only players that are signed in this save are those that are on trial when the clubs youth intake happens.  If a player decides to leave then that's it, they're gone.  It could prove costly in the future but those are the rules that I set at the start of this save.

Feel free to link this thread :thup:.  If it means improving the HK/Asian leagues in FM then hopefully it helps :thup:

2 hours ago, Raware said:

I'm surprised too that the HK league is ranked as high as it is in Asia.  Although I have just received a message saying that the league no longer has two qualifiers for the ACL, it's just one now.  Previously the league winner automatically qualified for the group stages of the ACL with the winner of the playoff qualifying for the 2nd preliminary round.  Now the winner of the league qualifies for the 2nd preliminary round :(

I'm very strict when it comes to 'signing' players.  If a player has left the club, they won't be re-signed.  The only players that are signed in this save are those that are on trial when the clubs youth intake happens.  If a player decides to leave then that's it, they're gone.  It could prove costly in the future but those are the rules that I set at the start of this save.

Feel free to link this thread :thup:.  If it means improving the HK/Asian leagues in FM then hopefully it helps :thup:

I think the HK League was given a higher benchmark at the start of the game given the champions are given a group stage place IRL first time ever, and it takes quite a beating for them to drop down the rank. But... no place in AFC Cup after losing the group stage place now? I thought teams would automatically get a ACL 2nd prelim + AFC Cup group stage one "rank" down. Perhaps the rules has changed since I played (talking of rules, the rules for next year are changing IRL - no expecting them to be implemented in FM17 though!)

Respect to you on sticking to your own rules, which probably means a much harder game ahead - especially when foreigners are quite essential in league and continental success in Asia. As a reader, I wouldn't mind!

Thanks for authorising. I hope for the best, but I highly doubt SI would resolve this in the near future given how long the problem has been here... Meanwhile if there's any user-created patch for FM17 I'd let you know, or if I am really bored I may make one myself :p 

Wing Yee - Season Review 2020/21

C2Pr8AR.png

Hong Kong Premier League/Hong Kong Premier League progress/Hong Kong Premier League fixtures : We made a steady start to our league campaign that saw us increase with confidence as the season went on as we won a lot of games by the odd goal or so.  We scored the lowest amount of goals in the 4 years that I’ve been in charge but we also conceded the least amount goals which I think, along with the fact that teams like South China and Kitchee had poor seasons by their standards, helped us along the way to clinch the Hong Kong Premier League title for the first time in the clubs history!

Hong Kong Community Cup : The season curtain opener saw us surprisingly hand Eastern a footballing lesson as we hammered them 4-0 to claim the first piece of silverware of the season.

Hong Kong Senior Shield : Other than the one scare in the Quarter Final that saw us needing penalties to progress, it was a fairly straight forward journey that saw us claim the Senior Shield for a second time during my tenure.

Hong Kong League Cup/Hong Kong League Cup Group B : We breezed through the group stage that included us giving South China a 5-1 seeing to as we claimed our first ever Hong Kong League Cup trophy!

Hong Kong FA Cup : We completed a clean sweep of Hong Kong domestic trophies as we beat Tai Po in the final to win the FA Cup for a 2nd successive season.

Asian Champions League : We couldn’t repeat last seasons heroics in the Asian Champions League as Japanese side Saitama Utd ended any hopes of us making the group stage by beating us 1-0 in the East Playoff L.

Squad : An amazing season from the squad of players saw them help the club to make a clean sweep of domestic trophies that included the clubs first ever Hong Kong Premier League title!  Both Adam Tse and Cheng Ming Fung (18P) had fantastic seasons as they smashed in 37 goals between them while Kan Tsz Him made up for his poor season last year by grabbing 10 goals and 10 assists for the season.

Under 18’s : Our under 18 squad is starting to look promising with this seasons youth academy prospects Leung Chi Fai (21B), Yeung Ka Kei (21D) and Kong Ming Yin (21F) already looking as if they’ll be able to make the step up to the first team in the next few years.

Finances : Another loss this season puts us firmly into the red as we’re now over £600k in debt.  I’m not quite sure how we’re going to turn things around (other than selling players which I don’t want to do).  I’ve never been in a situation at a club where we’re losing so much money so I’m hoping that it won’t mean we have to sell players in the future…because I can’t buy replacements!

My views of the season… : I couldn’t be any more happier with how the season went as we picked up 5 domestic trophies (Premier League, Community Cup, Senior Shield, League Cup and FA Cup - That clean sweep and winning everything was for you @Jason the Yank J).  Obviously the poor seasons had by the likes of Kitchee and South China by their standards helped us massively but given the fact that I’ve only had 4 seasons in charge at Wing Yee and have only been able to use youth players from the academy, I am a little surprised at how quickly success has come.

My aims for next season… : Expectations will be on us to at least make an attempt to retain all of the trophies that we won this season but there has to be some realism to it so hopefully we’ll be given a bit of leeway when it comes to expectations next season.  I’d be happy with a top 3 league finish and maybe a cup win…now we’ve got the taste for silverware J.

Career Summary

Season     Team          League                Position     Community  	    Senior 	      League	        FA 	         Asian	  	      
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017/18    Wing Yee    	 HK Premier League     	 5th             -	       -		 -	        Semi Final             -  
2018/19	   Wing Yee	 HK Premier League	 2nd  	    Winners	    Winners	      Semi Final        Semi Final	 East Playoff	         
2019/20	   Wing Yee	 HK Premier League	 2nd	    Runners up      Semi Final	      Semi Final	Winners		 Group stage
2020/21    Wing Yee	 HK Premier League	 1st	    Winners	    Winners	      Winners	        Winners	         East Playoff

Trophy Cabinet

Premier League			-	2020/21
Premier League Playoff		-	2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20
Community Cup			-	2018/19, 2020/21
Senior Shield			-	2018/19, 2020/21
FA Cup				-	2019/20, 2020/21
League Cup			-	2020/21

Nice to see you back in Asia @Raware though it's a shame to hear about the financial issues/bug. I recall when I played in HK on my journeymen career several FMs back, I was forever in debt... Same when I tried India - I just figured it was an issue playing in a small league in a country where everyone cares only for Premier League football and La Liga!

Archived