Let's talk about Director of Football negotiate player contract renewal option

One of my biggest annoyances with football manager recently has been that if you selected DoF to negotiate your player contract renewals they would renew contracts of players that you wanted to sell or didnt want to renew.

I was delighted when the 'DoF renew player contract' option was added to FM2017 and thought it would be great - however various directors in various games I have had have 'negotiated' ludicrous contracts for my players.

The most recent example being in my current save at the end of the first season -  my DoF at Liverpool has just agreed to pay Roberto Firmino £325kpw (more than triple is 100kpw) and Dejan Lovren £275k per week, in doing so he has used up most of my wage budget for the new season and also put me over FFP based on projections.

I loaded an early save from 4 months earlier in the season and decided to negotiate Firmino's contract myself and was able to agree 180k per week.h

I'm not sure if this is a bug and this feature is not working as it should or if its just poorly implemented but I'm fairly sure the DoF should not be agreeing FFP breeching contracts for players.  

I have had other games where again the DoF has agreed frankly ludicrous contracts with players and again taken the club over its FFP projections

This is now the 2nd save that I have had that has been utterly ruined by this - in its current state I don't feel this option is worth using and wont be doing again.

Pretty annoyed its cost me my entire first season in a game.

hmm interesting.  Admittedly I have not tried this with my "star" players (also managing Liverpool).  But I actually tried this when Lallana was asking for a stupid amount  (well I thought it was @ 250k).

He managed to get him to sign for 150k and I couldn't get him close to that.  The bonuses were similar as well to what h was asking me

so it worked in my favour.

It's good to read that gmulv, because when I once used my DoF (at Chelsea I believe) he was an absolute clown, bidding ridiculous amounts for players, giving those signings huge contracts and giving my own players stupid money too. And I don't just mean the kind of stupid money they are on IRL, I mean much, much worse.

The whole point of a DoF IRL is that he should be able to negotiate better deal for the club than the manager can. This should surely be the way in FM (most of the time, not always of course, and the better ones being better at the job). 

1 minute ago, Ellis_D said:

It's good to read that gmulv, because when I once used my DoF (at Chelsea I believe) he was an absolute clown, bidding ridiculous amounts for players, giving those signings huge contracts and giving my own players stupid money too. And I don't just mean the kind of stupid money they are on IRL, I mean much, much worse.

The whole point of a DoF IRL is that he should be able to negotiate better deal for the club than the manager can. This should surely be the way in FM (most of the time, not always of course, and the better ones being better at the job). 

indeed - not sure if this has any impact at all but I always try to get my DoF to have high man management, discipline, and judging ability and potential - I don't know if this makes any difference.  I tried to get my current one to negotiate with Emre Can last night and he came back to me and stated a deal couldn't be done.  I'm assuming because he asked for too much money, which would suggest to me that not all DoF will hand out silly contracts.  I'm sure there is something in their attribtes that will determine this - just hope I got the right ones!!

If a DOF can't agree a contract with a player does FM17 (haven't bought it yet) give any feedback on where the deal stalled? And if not has the DOF been given any kind of importance whatsoever or are they still the pointless wage drain they were on FM14?

Perhaps the people who have had good and bad experiences with this feature could share some more info about it?
Maybe stuff like:

• Name of DoF
  • Attributes of DoF
  • Club
  • Player in question
  • The player's contract details before and after negotiating a new contract

I never have a D of F, always mutually terminate him if he's at a club I join. For all the above reasons, and many more not mentioned, but primarily, being old school, this is a Football MANAGER simulation, and most of the pleasure, apart from winning games, is in the business of transfers, contracts etc. So why have something that detracts from being a proper old time Football Manager? Next thing we know SI will be releasing a Football Coach 2019, where you just fiddle about with a squad of players who've been thrown at you, and then get the sack when the D of F has supplied you with a bunch of over paid numpties who couldn't win a raffle.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's right that D of F's are in the game, just not for me.

• 9 months later...
15 minutes ago, David710 said:

I don't trust ANYONE to deal with transfers or contract renewals. It might take a little longer but you are the only one who really knows what you want. Trust me it's easier.

Really isn't.

I don't set the DOF to do it automatically but when I want a contract renewing I just right click on the player and let the DOF do their thing.

You can see immediately on the contract offer screen whats been agreed and you are able to cancel the offer if you don't like it but generally 99% of the time they do a pretty good job.

Archived