FM17 and DEFENDING

I thought I'd commence a thread about defending, the art of...

I must say, this is the one part of FM that's always been an issue for me. This year, I'm again seeing issues with my team conceding goals in games and more often than not, it's a cross into my box and an attacking AI player is free to head home or shoot home.

My CD pair close down when they don't need to...typically following the RB or LB when they shouldn't.

I play a 4-2-3-1 at home, 4-4-1-1 away typically.

I've tried loads of different DEF settings but sadly, I find keeping a clean sheet ridiculously rare.

I know there's some awesome defending game gurus on here but hoping all of us that experience the good and bad can share thoughts on defensive tips.

I'm having some of the same issues. CD's doubling up on a player already marked by a LB or RB or closing down an opponent when they don't need to. I'm going to try and put an Anchorman in front of my CD's and see if that helps the issue, already having a man there might just solve it.

Yep, exactly that. ESPECIALLY when dealing with any sort of cross. My CD's just don't behave in a way I'd expect.

The vast majority of goals I concede are from crosses. This was a known issue in previous FM's - not saying it's that, it's likely my formation/settings.

I'm trying no additional defensive settings with my players, see if that changes anything.

5 minutes ago, Iwabik said:

Try deeper defensive line. It seems to do the trick for me and I was conceding a lot of goals. Also, when I was playing with higher line, my defenders was brainless for some reason.

Cheers, will try that.

I'm actually doing better than normal defensively. I play a counter/very fluid/narrow 442 with 2 DM (DLP-D+DM-S) and a slightly deeper/deeper (I change based on the game flow) line. It soaks up really well and most of what I concede is just a really great build up I can't get mad at or... a dang corner.

Yeah, there is that but when you're seeing so frequently the same type of goal against you, you need to be able to narrow that down.

By far the most common gaol I concede is from crosses into my box. My CD's don't 'man mark' at all and instead always seem to close down players they don't need to or simply leave too big a space for attackers.

99% of the time if your CD's are stepping out to deal with threats it's because the screen in front of them has broken down / has been ineffective.  

For example people tend to write: "why is my 4-2-3-1 not working!!!" And then you see they're using a BWM-S and CM-A as the 2 CM's in their tactic. 

Not saying this is you, just that you need to consider the screen in front of your CD's if you see them stepping out so often. 

Anyone struggling with balls over the top? I'm playing a 3 man defence, pressing high, high line. Got 2 CBs on the outside with a Stopper role, and the CB in the middle as cover. Naturally, you would assume that the CB in the middle essentially drops deep and mops up balls, but sometimes when a ball comes over the top they don't bother chasing it and the opposition striker is suddenly in with a chance?

On 28/10/2016 at 14:01, BlueAnderson said:

Anyone struggling with balls over the top? I'm playing a 3 man defence, pressing high, high line. Got 2 CBs on the outside with a Stopper role, and the CB in the middle as cover. Naturally, you would assume that the CB in the middle essentially drops deep and mops up balls, but sometimes when a ball comes over the top they don't bother chasing it and the opposition striker is suddenly in with a chance?

You would be better off changing the centre half from cover to defend and use offside trap in team instructions seeing as your pressing high. Then get a suitable sweeper keeper, you will still concede from balls in behind from time to time though. It's all risk vs reward. If you were to go a couple of goals up you can lose the offside trap instruction, drop deeper and go narrower and look to exploit the spaces behind that they leave trying to get back in the game.

Crosses for me are really bad. I have and anchormand and two cb-d. When a cross comes in they are a shambles regardless of who is the opponent. My last game ended 4-5.

Shots directly at the keeper too somehow finding their way in when they shouldn't.

Archived