[FM17] Rotherham? In the Championship?

Bedese

20 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Cheers mate! Going forward we're actually surprisingly good (Izzy Brown is doing fantastically and Danny Ward is way, way too good for us), but our defending is absolutely shambolic so far this season. It's a mixture of the players themselves (we've got three CBs out injured and a fourth went off early against you, which means we're playing a 19 and 21 year old together at CB) and Stubbs' awful tactics, which put our weak defence under way too much pressure. I'll see what I can do about that in FM :D 

Yeah I remember seeing a youth game a few years ago when Brown was at WBA before he joined Chelsea, great talent, and Ward's goal was a great finish with his supposed weaker foot, but defensively it's gotta be bad when Greg Halford is playing right back! Stubbs deffo got it wrong against Blues, we predominantly play on the counter, despite playing 2 up front for the first time in forever under Rowett, we were still defensive minded, you guys were far too high defensively and it proved with the 3rd. Debatable penalty I know but the keeper shouldn't have been under that kind of pressure in the first place

Anyway, tough first month but picked up in the second so well done!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Good form! Harsh luck with injuries though.

I remember Darnell Fisher from FM 14, I think, used to be a very good signing in that game.

Cheers BoxtoBox! Let's hope Fisher is one that FM got right and that it's just taking him a while to realise his potential ;) He's started very brightly in real life, he's a little more inconsistent in FM so far.

Also, sorry for the spam, but have you got Tom Adeyemi's stats so far? He had a cracking season down the Blues a few of years ago but left acrimoniously to join Cardiff in 2014 and has barely played since. Just want to see if he's still suited to this level.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Yeah I remember seeing a youth game a few years ago when Brown was at WBA before he joined Chelsea, great talent, and Ward's goal was a great finish with his supposed weaker foot, but defensively it's gotta be bad when Greg Halford is playing right back! Stubbs deffo got it wrong against Blues, we predominantly play on the counter, despite playing 2 up front for the first time in forever under Rowett, we were still defensive minded, you guys were far too high defensively and it proved with the 3rd. Debatable penalty I know but the keeper shouldn't have been under that kind of pressure in the first place

Anyway, tough first month but picked up in the second so well done!

I think Brown could go on to play at the top level, he's a superb player considering his age. Halford is an absolute liability - and that's true on FM, too - and I really wish he wasn't still at the club. He moans until he plays, and then he's guaranteed to make a big mistake when he does play.

That's pretty much been the story of our season under Stubbs. We set out wrong and then don't correct it, which causes huge problems at the back. Our midfield were virtually non existent defensively this season. The penalty is debatable but at the end of the day if you defend that badly then you get exactly what you deserve. We were lucky you only scored 4, to be honest.

I'm very happy with that second month :D It's opened up a tiny bit of breathing room at the bottom already for us, so hopefully we can continue it!

4 minutes ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Also, sorry for the spam, but have you got Tom Adeyemi's stats so far? He had a cracking season down the Blues a few of years ago but left acrimoniously to join Cardiff in 2014 and has barely played since. Just want to see if he's still suited to this level.

Cheers

Do you mean in real life or FM?

In real life: He's been out injured for a lot of the season since he joined on loan. He's started 5 games, but he's had to go off injured in two of them. He's looked like a pretty tidy player so far, but he needs to be able to stay healthy and put a run of form together.

On FM: Also can't stay healthy :lol: 6 starts, 3 from the bench with an average rating of 6.81. No goals or assists yet.

1 minute ago, Jupjamie said:

I think Brown could go on to play at the top level, he's a superb player considering his age. Halford is an absolute liability - and that's true on FM, too - and I really wish he wasn't still at the club. He moans until he plays, and then he's guaranteed to make a big mistake when he does play.

That's pretty much been the story of our season under Stubbs. We set out wrong and then don't correct it, which causes huge problems at the back. Our midfield were virtually non existent defensively this season. The penalty is debatable but at the end of the day if you defend that badly then you get exactly what you deserve. We were lucky you only scored 4, to be honest.

I'm very happy with that second month :D It's opened up a tiny bit of breathing room at the bottom already for us, so hopefully we can continue it!

Halford was on loan with us last season and was terrible as well haha

Who do you think will take over? Or who would you like? Stubbs was clearly punching getting a Championship job, so who would you like to take over? Kenny Jackett is being touted and would be decent I think

Do you mean in real life or FM?

In real life: He's been out injured for a lot of the season since he joined on loan. He's started 5 games, but he's had to go off injured in two of them. He's looked like a pretty tidy player so far, but he needs to be able to stay healthy and put a run of form together.

On FM: Also can't stay healthy :lol: 6 starts, 3 from the bench with an average rating of 6.81. No goals or assists yet.

I meant on FM haha, but yeah not doing too great in either so far then haha!

Just now, danmcconnell1 said:

Halford was on loan with us last season and was terrible as well haha

Who do you think will take over? Or who would you like? Stubbs was clearly punching getting a Championship job, so who would you like to take over? Kenny Jackett is being touted and would be decent I think

Clearly I'm the right man for the job, but seeing as they won't take my calls:

Kenny Jackett is far and away my number one choice, and it seems pretty likely that he'll get it. I think he's a good manager who got shafted a little bit at Wolves. He's got Championship experience, his sides can be tough to beat and, if the worst does happen, he's a good choice to get us back out of League 1 straight away.

Steve Evans is the only other name that's seriously being touted around, but I just don't see it happening. He left our club on good terms with Tony Stewart the chairman, but it came because of a breakdown in their working relationship. Tony Stewart is a proud Yorkshireman, and I just don't see him biting his tongue and bringing back Steve Evans. Nor do I want him to, for two reasons:

Firstly, the one thing Stubbs did well in his short reign was bring in a lot of young talent. That's talent that needs to be nurtured, rather than have an angry Steve Evans shouting at them and telling them how bad they are every two minutes.

Secondly - Evans always relied on his scattergun approach in the transfer market, bringing in a host of loanees and then getting rid of the ones who weren't good enough. The changes to the loan system mean that isn't an option anymore, and he misses on his signings way, way too often. Being a small club with a limited budget, you absolutely need to get those loans right (like Izzy Brown), and that's something that Evans is particularly weak at.

Clearly I'm the right man for the job, but seeing as they won't take my calls:

Kenny Jackett is far and away my number one choice, and it seems pretty likely that he'll get it. I think he's a good manager who got shafted a little bit at Wolves. He's got Championship experience, his sides can be tough to beat and, if the worst does happen, he's a good choice to get us back out of League 1 straight away.

Steve Evans is the only other name that's seriously being touted around, but I just don't see it happening. He left our club on good terms with Tony Stewart the chairman, but it came because of a breakdown in their working relationship. Tony Stewart is a proud Yorkshireman, and I just don't see him biting his tongue and bringing back Steve Evans. Nor do I want him to, for two reasons:

Firstly, the one thing Stubbs did well in his short reign was bring in a lot of young talent. That's talent that needs to be nurtured, rather than have an angry Steve Evans shouting at them and telling them how bad they are every two minutes.

Secondly - Evans always relied on his scattergun approach in the transfer market, bringing in a host of loanees and then getting rid of the ones who weren't good enough. The changes to the loan system mean that isn't an option anymore, and he misses on his signings way, way too often. Being a small club with a limited budget, you absolutely need to get those loans right (like Izzy Brown), and that's something that Evans is particularly weak at.

Jackett would be a great appointment. Proven Championship stalwart and would definitely have a right good go at keeping you guys in the division, just like Warnock. Stubbs may well have brought youngsters through, but you can only do it so many at a time, mixed with a good blend of experience in this division.

Personally, as good of a job as he did before with you guys, I cannot stand Evans. He's far too outspoken for a manager and personally I don't think he's tactically adept, and as you mentioned with the changes in the loan system this year, you can't just take a risk on a loanee for a month anymore, you're stuck with them until January at the earliest, so they need to be decent!

8 minutes ago, clarkehwbu said:

Already doing better than IRL then! Keep up the form in the second update and you'll be looking mid-table/top half at least!

Thanks Clarke! Just like Ranieri, the only aim is to have our heads above water come the end of the season :D Anything else is just a bonus.

3 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Bit of a tough start there.

Results didn't go our way in August, but September was pretty kind to us ;) 

Thanks Clarke! Just like Ranieri, the only aim is to have our heads above water come the end of the season :D Anything else is just a bonus.

Ranieri, currently just seems to be enjoying Champions League and forgetting we have a Premier League title to defend (not that we'll ever win it again anyway!)

Leicester City - Champions League Winners 16/17 sounds good though don't it?!:brock:

October

817573073a1ba67d3c86dab1c90b734e.png

Uh oh.

Newcastle and Norwich were never going to be winnable games, and we did well to stay competitive. Ipswich away is also a tough fixture, but the Birmingham and Reading results are extremely disappointing. We should not have left this month without a point.

2f2de79b791a2d0e21c600d861851acb.png

It's tenuous. I can't believe we haven't drawn a game yet.

Players

The defence has been hit and miss this month. Joe Mattock, Dael Fry, Kirk Broadfoot and Darnell Fisher have all kept their places, but that may change if they can't rediscover their form. Aymen Belaid is finally back from injury, and he's already pushing for a place in the starting lineup.

Lee Frecklington still can't stay healthy. Will Vaulks, Scott Allan, Jake Forster-Caskey and Tom Adeyemi are all playing decently, but nothing particularly stands out about any of them. 

Izzy Brown is back from injury and looking good, while Jon Taylor is still on the sidelines. Anthony Forde has been playing, but failed to impress.

Danny Ward twisted his ankle (surprise surprise), so Dexter Blackstock is back to being our only fit senior striker. We need to bring someone else in come January, because Blackstock just isn't cutting it.

Signings

We bought in Jeffrey Monakana on a free transfer as we were absolutely desperate for some bodies on the wing.

b94238de434e67fea27c639a31265285.png

He's not going to set the world alight, but he's good depth, and isn't earning a huge wage. I'm happy we've bought him in.

November

fecc1bfe50b97b0db0d5a88c15fc8988.png

An international break meant there were only three games this month, but unbeaten is unbeaten!

We dominated Preston, and it took an 85th minute cross that flew over Lee Camp's head to rescue Derby a point. Leeds are bottom of the league and it's disappointing that we couldn't beat them, but it's a pretty good month, all in all.

8877004237a3a1333d9d3007bc9918e2.png

Still only two points above the drop zone.

Players

Lee Camp had a shaky month in goal, but it'd need a real horror show for him to lose his place.

We kept the same back four as usual, with Aymen Belaid replacing Joe Mattock as our starting LB, and performing well there. Darnell Fisher did well at RB, and Kirk Broadfoot and Dael Fry were solid at CB.

Lee Frecklington broke his toe in stoppage time against Leeds, and we'll be without him for another two months. Gutted. None of the other CMs are really standing out, either. Will Vaulks, Scott Allan and Tom Adeyemi have been starting with Jake Forster-Caskey on the bench, but none of them really deserve a starting spot over anyone else.

Izzy Brown was a little quiet this month, Danny Ward was back and at his best, and Jon Taylor has made his way back to fitness. This is an exciting front three.

1 minute ago, SpillBlood said:

Think of the money.

Thing is it's a home tie and I doubt it's going to be televised, so there won't actually be all that much money in it, unless I'm forgetting something? I'd have loved this tie if we were away, but all it does at home is make sure we're not going into the fourth round :lol: 

We're currently selling out 94% of the New York Stadium on average anyway, so I can't really see the Arsenal game having a huge financial benefit even in ticket money, because there aren't many more seats to fill.

16 hours ago, Jupjamie said:

Thing is it's a home tie and I doubt it's going to be televised, so there won't actually be all that much money in it, unless I'm forgetting something? I'd have loved this tie if we were away, but all it does at home is make sure we're not going into the fourth round :lol: 

We're currently selling out 94% of the New York Stadium on average anyway, so I can't really see the Arsenal game having a huge financial benefit even in ticket money, because there aren't many more seats to fill.

The cup games always seem to pull in a bigger amount of cash though for some reason, reckon you might set your record gate receipts for this game!

On 19 October 2016 at 19:25, Jupjamie said:

I completely agree with you. My problem isn't that they spoke about Orient's amazing rise, but the way that it was all they spoke about. Orient had every right to be praised for their amazing run, but my memory of the coverage is that it was 90% Orient, 10% Rotherham and that, by omission, they made Rotherham sound like big spenders and a big club, neither of which were true.

I liked Orient before the game, I liked them after the game and I still like them now - but what happened to go from dominant in L1 to relegated in a season? I know your ownership changed hands and you changed managers, but there has to be more to it than that, surely? 

Haha, perhaps. I think we were a "better story" so probably fair that we took more attention. 

We changed owner, he pushed out Russell Slade after 7 games, we had 4 managers that first season including Fabio Liverani, who couldn't speak English. Players were apparently doing their own team talks in the tunnel and so it was a disaster, we got relegated. And we're currently on our 8th full time manager since the final, excluding Andy Edwards as caretaker, and the new guy can't speak English and hasn't won a game yet so this is going to be interesting. 

9 hours ago, johnstonpickle said:

The cup games always seem to pull in a bigger amount of cash though for some reason, reckon you might set your record gate receipts for this game!

Here's hoping!

3 hours ago, Orient1996 said:

Haha, perhaps. I think we were a "better story" so probably fair that we took more attention. 

We changed owner, he pushed out Russell Slade after 7 games, we had 4 managers that first season including Fabio Liverani, who couldn't speak English. Players were apparently doing their own team talks in the tunnel and so it was a disaster, we got relegated. And we're currently on our 8th full time manager since the final, excluding Andy Edwards as caretaker, and the new guy can't speak English and hasn't won a game yet so this is going to be interesting. 

Players doing their own team talks? That's insane! I really hope things get sorted out for you quickly, because Orient are a fantastic club who deserve to be doing a lot better than they are.

December

05287171812727a8ae6dc830197d64bd.png

Bad. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

The month started off well, because Burton Albion are a really poor side. They held us at 1-1 for a while, but eventually we made our advantage count and tucked home three quick goals to send them packing.

QPR battered us. We had absolutely nothing against them. 2-1 is an incredibly generous scoreline.

Fulham are one of our main relegation rivals, which makes that 2-0 loss all the more disappointing. It was an even game, but a header from a corner and a Lee Camp own goal in the space of four minutes sent us back to Rotherham with no points.

Sheffield Wednesday... Awful. Losing to your main rivals always is, but we were 2-0 down because of two horrific goalkeeping mistakes from Lee Camp inside 17 minutes, and they made it 3-0 shortly after the hour. I could hear the fans calling for me to be sacked, even when we fought back to make it 3-2 (and squandered some good chances to level it up). Wednesday are a good team, and we could easily have edged something, but losing to your rivals will never not be painful.

Wigan... argh. We were the better team, they broke away on the counter and scored in the 88th minute.

Burton part two - pathetic. They held on for a point that they didn't deserve. We just haven't been able to put teams away this month.

Players

As you might have gathered, Lee Camp had a dreadful month in goal, but he's realistically not losing that #1 jersey anytime soon.

Kirk Broadfoot and Dael Fry were solid at the back, and Darnell Fisher and Aymen Belaid are giving us some good performances at FB. Happy with everything in our back four.

Our CMs just can't stay healthy. Right now both Will Vaulks and Lee Frecklington are injured for 3-4 weeks, but Tom Adeyemi and Scott Allan all went down with minor ailments at some point this month. This really isn't what you need when the fixtures are starting to get closer together.

Izzy Brown and Jon Taylor on the wings were good in December, although not fantastic. Danny Ward upfront was his usual superb self.

cb1bdd1be02631aa5bdc2174c718ab5d.png

It's way too tight for comfort. We're a single point above the drop, and we've lost the most games in the division. I want to experiment with a new tactic, but I don't feel like it's the right time for that. If it goes wrong, we'd be in trouble.

EDIT: Transfer window is now open. We've got 1m~ to spend after selling Joe Newell. We need to make it count, but that's only if I can actually find anyone willing to join who'll improve the squad. I'm also going to try and get rid of the dead weight.

11 minutes ago, Holdii said:

If you spend that 1M well and get and turn those losses into draws than you can easily stay up, I have faith in you!

Thanks Holdii!

9 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Ouch that's a harsh month but you'll bounce back!  What is Taylor value for your out of curiosity?  He's worth 4.9mil for me!  Can see him being my summer sale to bring me in some resources.

He's only at 1.4m for me. I'm surprised he's worth so much for you, what's he done in terms of assists, goals and average rating for you so far?

That's a poor December! How are the 3 midfield loan lads getting on? Sounds like you're crying out for a Smallwood type in there! Also Price has really stepped up and made a claim for the #1 shirt, playing better than Camp for me. Could be worth a couple of starts to freshen things up?

RE the dead wood - hope you have more luck than me in drumming up interest for them..

27 minutes ago, johnstonpickle said:

That's a poor December! How are the 3 midfield loan lads getting on? Sounds like you're crying out for a Smallwood type in there! Also Price has really stepped up and made a claim for the #1 shirt, playing better than Camp for me. Could be worth a couple of starts to freshen things up?

RE the dead wood - hope you have more luck than me in drumming up interest for them..

Smallwood is exactly what we need in there. Allan and Forster-Caskey are both creative players, which is fine, but we really are missing that no nonsense defensive CM.

Price may get a few starts soon, but for now Camp's holding onto that shirt. He's rebounded strongly from a horrible December.

We've only managed to shift one of the deadwood so far, but all will be revealed soon... ;) 

2 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Roterham certainly seems the fashionable place to be in at this time in FMCU. :D Hang in there, it's looking difficult.

Cheers Noikeee! I think that's the first time anyone's ever called Rotherham fashionable :lol: 

It's nice to see it happen to the opposition for a change. Our 'ability' to lose leads late on has been frustrating for a few years now. A couple of years ago we did it 3 times in a single month (October), including multi-goal leads, which we also managed in stoppage time on the opening day last season. Time moves so quickly these days. Also meant I could have great fun ringing up my grandfather about Norwich's 5-0 defeat and not have to admit we lost as well.

January:

84e4d6ca4b5d13a9f0cb03a8c6ffcd0e.png

Playing Norwich and Newcastle back to back is brutal, but losing to Barnsley and Nottingham Forest could hurt us. We were actually 4-0 down to Forest before a late rally.

3ead56199debd90e5617a840ed6b1566.png

No pressure or anything...

Anyway, the main part of January isn't results, right? Right? I'm going to pretend you said yes. Here's our transfer activity:

678e5ec096ccdc0007e982675852329f.png

We might possibly have been too quiet, here. We've picked up two players, Matt Smith for 89k and Alex Kiwomya on loan from Chelsea, but Kelvin Wilson was the only deadweight we managed to shift. I feel like we could have been busier, considering we had that 1m to spend from the sale of Joe Newell back in summer, but there just weren't many players who took my fancy.

879d1ea15a09f01537bb8a27f55ef23c.png

If you're a fan of the Football League, you'll know all about Matt Smith. He's an old school, no nonsense target man. Kick the ball up to him and he'll win it 90% of the time. 89k and 6k a week is a great deal for him, in my opinion. I'm hoping that he can provide an aerial threat upfront that we've thus far been lacking. He's under contract until 2019.

5e38cc676efe610d78d75e64178370ee.png

Yeah... so I may have heavily emphasised physical talent. Kiwomya is absolutely rapid, but his technical ability leaves a lot to be desired. Fun fact - he actually started his career with Rotherham, before Chelsea signed him for their own youth team. Anyway, we're not paying a wage for him, and he'll be used as an impact substitute - hopefully to good effect. His contract is up in summer, and I'm hopeful that Chelsea let him leave on a free.

We've also got two future transfers arranged - one in, one out:

c26d1ba9ddf210282ba37dbae3b61490.png

Stephen Kelly wasn't playing, and with his contract expiring in summer it made sense to get him off the wage bill early.

c2cb84890acb052edae2e37190699917.png

Bamboozi is joining us in summer - hopefully, I'm still in the job then. He's a decent young midfielder with a lot of room to improve - for a free transfer and just 2.6k a week in wages, it was a no brainer. We've got him on a three year deal with an option for another two years.

1 hour ago, johnstonpickle said:

That form is worrying :( . Still plenty of time to turn it around though. What are the rest of the players performing like? 

I found there were loads of injuries - really disruptive.

Oops, I completely forgot to talk about the players form for January. Here we go:

Lee Camp - ehh. I'm really not sold on him in goal. It's too late now to bring in anyone else, obviously, but I'm not sure he'll be our starting keeper next one (if that is still my decision to make).

The defence had an absolute nightmare in January. Darnell Fisher, Kirk Broadfoot and Dael Fry all massively underperformed, and I'm going to be rotating some of them out to see if their replacements can fair any better. Aymen Belaid was, once again, quality at LB.

All our CMs are still injured and still inconsistent. It's February, and only Frecklington has staked his case to consistently be on the team sheet.

Izzy Brown has had a rough patch lately on the wing, and Jon Taylor didn't fair fantastically either in January. Luckily, Alex Kiwomya has already shown that he can offer something off the bench.

Danny Ward went quiet at times this month, although that could have just been because of the quality of opposition we were facing. Matt Smith has now joined the team, and I plan to play him alongside Ward, possibly in a 4-4-2. Hopefully, Ward will benefit from having a partner upfront.

February

0a801dfa92cbb299968e18a923be2b50.png

I don't know how I'm still in the job, to be honest. The board told me I was useless, I asked for another month to prove them wrong and then proceeded to lose the next four games. We scraped a lucky win against Brentford which is the only reason I'm still here, but I won't be for much longer. I doubt I'll make it through March,

69b63c2b4d2e90fc39d73ae64aceb66d.png

All you need to know about the players is they were all s***. Every single one of them. Not even joking.

24fb32d6f07587676c609e282d51f204.png

I would have sacked me too. I just don't understand why you accept nine losses in a row, and then fire me after the first win :lol: 

I might try this again. You may not have been able to tell, but I made a fair few mistakes this time. Stay tuned, I guess?

Archived