[FM13] The Scandinavian Shankly: smashing the status quo

withnail316

Doh -- that is a rough run, given the state of the table. But, you're 1 point off the top after a poor run of form (albeit having played 21 matches), so all is not lost. Are Goteborg and/or Malmo still in Europe? If so, fixture congestion could kill them down the stretch.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doh -- that is a rough run, given the state of the table. But, you're 1 point off the top after a poor run of form (albeit having played 21 matches), so all is not lost. Are Goteborg and/or Malmo still in Europe? If so, fixture congestion could kill them down the stretch.

Nope, sadly not. Europe has been a bit of a disaster for Swedish clubs this season.

Youth-intake day is nearly upon us. I'd love to think that one day one of our youth graduates will develop into a player of this kind of standard:

Arild%20Haukland.png

Probably the best player I've had come through the youth ranks on any save

September

September%202014%20results.png

September%202014%20table.png

A rough start to the month in a dismal loss at Åtvidaberg saw me call a team meeting and tell the players they were in danger of letting a very good season go to waste. They responded well, and a little tactical tweak ahead of the trip to the national stadium to play AIK worked a charm. That victory put us back in contention, while the performance against Hacken was our best for several weeks. Again, I don't think the title is a realistic aim, not least because we don't score enough goals, but I'll be devastated if we don't secure Europa League football for next year.

Out of interest, is the two images per monthly update working for you reading, or would you prefer me to write the results with a little description, as I did on the other thread?

Cheers.

just started reading this mate loved your other story always nice to see a fellow magpie doing well as we don't get that irl!!!

just started reading this mate loved your other story always nice to see a fellow magpie doing well as we don't get that irl!!!

Very kind Glynnbob, cheers. And yes, the less said about Notts the better... it's the hope that kills you.

You Pies!

October

October%202014%20results.png

October%202014%20table.png

I must be honest, I really didn't see this coming, but we've played our way into one of the closest title races in recent years. I could have seen us winning a couple of these games this month, but taking four wins and not conceding a single goal has rather blown me away. However, despite how the table looks, we're still second-favourites for the title. Both of our last two games are away from home, next is a trip to Malmö, and the final game of the season is away at Djurgården, while Malmö entertain Hammarby. We're also missing both Dzmitry Rekish and Edward Ofere, two of our most potent attacking players, for arguably the biggest game in the club's history...

I like the way you do your updates. Not least as it's similar to how I now do mine.

Cheers DB. I've seen complaints of too many images as it can make some threads take ages to load in here before, and I'd just like to ensure I'm not crossing that line...

Cheers DB. I've seen complaints of too many images as it can make some threads take ages to load in here before, and I'd just like to ensure I'm not crossing that line...

Oh indeed, that's certainly a problem I have with my slow rural internet. A few current threads can take literally minutes and catching up on everything can take a while even without that.

Oh indeed, that's certainly a problem I have with my slow rural internet. A few current threads can take literally minutes and catching up on everything can take a while even without that.

That sounds... painful.

It varies, sometimes even the biggest culprits aren't so bad, though we're still talking a few minutes at least for quite a few of them. The move to new forum software will help as there are nowhere near as many posts per page, though that does mean some threads will quickly rack up an absurd number of pages.

November

November%202014%20results.png

Final%20table%202014.png

Heartbreaking. Truly heartbreaking. We were magnificent against Malmö, fighting back for a point after trailing twice to ensure we led the league by 3 points going in to the final day, but Djurgården was a horror-show. As we've been so good defensively this year, I set us up to play on the break, but an early goal knocked us back. Seconds into the second half it was two, so we had to chase the game, and we were picked off on the break for a mauling. I know the season has been hugely positive, but to get so close to the trophy and see it slip from our fingers is devastating...

618px-Oumlrebro_SK_Logo.png

Örebro SK - 2014 season summary

League (Allsvenskan)

Media prediction: 13th (of 16)
Finished: 3rd (qualified for the Europa League)

Cups

Svenska Cupen: eliminated at the group stage

Top scorers

Dzmitry Rekish: 7 goals in 28 appearances (all in the league)
Edward Ofere: 6 goals in 19 appearances (5 in the league)

Positives

Ugh. Time to look at the big picture. As a newly promoted side short on cash, qualifying for Europe was more than I could realistically hope for, and so to get so involved in the title race clearly means we've had a great season. Defensively we were rock-solid, and until the final day we had the second-best defence in the league, which is why we managed to grind out 8 1-0 wins throughout the season. It is also why our disappointing goalscoring record wasn't too much of a concern, as I always felt we could get a result. The squad is well balanced, and the new arrivals all look like they can do a job, so there is plenty to look forward to next year.

Concerns

Financially, we're still a bit of a mess. We're over a million in debt, and so once again I fear I'm going to have to look at Bosman & loan deals if I'm to be active in the transfer market. I'm also unable to improve our youth coaching or facilities, which isn't ideal if we want to have long-term success. And on the pitch, we are lacking a goal scorer. I have two targets lined up, but both are likely to cost us around €100,000.

Ambitions

I'd love to get involved in the title race again next year, while it would also be nice to get a bit deeper into the cup. As for Europe, we'll enjoy the ride - however short it may be.

Player of the season

Manager's choice - Mohammed Saied
Fans' choice - Christoffer Wictorsson

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 4,737 v Helsingborg in the Svenska Cupen
Highest attendance: 6,863 v Oster
Average attendance: 6,255 (increase of over 1,000) - 6,357 in the league (10th largest in the league)

Finances

€1.25m in debt.

After reading the October update I thought you'd get the title if you manage to draw against Malmö. I know how it hurts to miss out on the final day, but you will come back stronger.

The losses make the victories all the sweeter... but that was truly gutting.

Good luck with this, your previous story was probably the best FM story I've ever read. So no pressure... :p

Heh, no, none at all! Thanks though fella, I appreciate that, and welcome to the boards.

618px-Oumlrebro_SK_Logo.png

Örebro SK
Season preview - 2015

Media expectation: 6th (of 16)
Board expectation: qualify for the Europa League

Transfer budget (remaining): €5,000
Wage budget: €62,355p/w (€7,750p/w under budget)

The long winter isn't far from an end, and the boys and I have just about got the massive disappointment of losing the title on goal difference out of our systems. It's been a productive winter so far, with the board providing us with some funding to allow us to strengthen, although we aren't quite out of the financial hole we were in. Unfortunately, their generosity didn't stretch as far as improving our youth coaching or indeed any facilities, but I'll keep asking over the coming months, especially if we can squeeze into the Europa League group stage.

I've stretched my transfer budget to the maximum over the last couple of months, with a few deals being paid in instalments for the next few years. Not ideal when we're fluctuating into the red, but needs must - especially as the board have ramped up expectations for this coming season. I think they've been a little unfair demanding European football again, but we shall do what we can to try and meet those demands. There is still plenty of room in the wage budget, but I can't see us doing any more deals at this stage of proceedings. We shall see what happens in our friendlies though, just in case.

You can already see the Bosman deals I had lined up (post #35) so I won't go over those again, but I've been extremely busy in the transfer market over the last few weeks. There were a couple of surprises going out the door, with the fans apoplectic to see captain Daniel Bamberg join BK Häcken for €100,000, but he was over 30, non-homegrown and stifling the development of two young wingers. I hope the fans come round to my way of thinking. Another surprise was Edward Ofere leaving, he struggled for form and fitness last year so he joined 2nd tier Ängelholm for €90,000. Striker Peter Samuelsson decided to retire unexpectedly, while youngsters Stefan Hannasson and Ahmed Yasin were both released on frees.

I also agreed no fewer than five loan deals for some of our players to get some match time, including youth team graduate striker Christer Lipovac, new arrival Christian Kouakou and defender Johan Hammar. All have a future at the club, but all need games.

We spent a total of €400,000 bringing players in, which is perhaps a little more than I wanted, but I'm far more confident about the squad as a result. The big arrival was Finnish international striker Tim Väyrynen, who had scored 20 goals last season for FC Honka, arriving for a record €160,000 (€60,000 up front, €100,000 over 48 months). Next to arrive was winger Christopher Telo from relegated Norrköping for €150,000 (€50,000 up front, €100,000 over 48 months.) We had a problem with number 2 goalkeepers last season, so we picked up two this summer for an outlay of €90,000. 17 year old Iver Ophaug arrives for €40,000 (€10,000 up front, €30,000 over 30 months) from Rosenborg, and looks great business as he'll be a homegrown player in a few years. Kristijan Þorsteinsson looks a bit erratic, but for €50,000 (€10,000 up front, €40,000 over 30 months) he at least provides us with a bit of depth. Finally, Joakim Nilsson arrives on a free after his release by Sundsvall.

What a finish, withnail!!! That must have been gutting to watch the Djurgarden match. This next year is yours!

It was devastating, as we had been so strong defensively all season. Hopefully the next time we're that close to a trophy, we take our chance and grab it.

Ah, the language barrier messages in Nordic countries always get on my nerves. My new Finnish striker is apparently struggling to communicate as he doesn't speak Swedish, yet my entire squad speak English... so where's the problem?

Jesus, that finish

:(

I actually follow Johan Hammar on Twitter. I don't know why... Think he was big mates with Kristoffer Olsen when he was at Arsenal

One of the harshest finishes I've ever had in a title race. I hope Hammar moans less on Twitter than he does on FM!

Fewer games than normal for our pre-season, but the games were tougher contests than normal too

Pre%20season%20results%2015.png
We've played pretty well in all three games, although both sides were further along with their pre-season than we were. I think I asked the players to come back a little late, but we still have three cup ties before the league gets started.

One of my worst habits is stockpiling players, and I'm a little guilty of that this winter. Two more arrivals on frees, so we're now extremely well covered at centre back!

Tony%20Pettis.png
Pettis was offered to us by an agent, and after accepting a trial offer I simply couldn't not offer him a deal. He's got some work to do on his jumping, but he could be an excellent addition.

Michael%20Lercher.png

Lercher meanwhile offers us a little versatility, and has the added bonus of becoming homegrown in a few years.

You're the complete opposite to me. i don't like to have too many players in my teams.

I like to have a production line, but sometimes I get a bit carried away. There are now 10 central defenders at the club, and I rate all of them. I tend to decide on which player I'm going to sell in advance, and then make sure we've got cover for him before selling, rather than try and scramble around trying to find cover after he's gone. Plus if I can get a player for free, there's a possibility of some much needed cash to be made selling him on in a year or so's time, especially if he cannot become homegrown.

I now have young players who can step in in goal, at centre back, left back, defensive midfield and up front. Considering we're short on cash, that gives me options when I'm deciding who to sell later on in the season.

March

March%2015%20results.png

Still not a fan of the cup, but we sailed through the group this year. The board don't really care about it, but with us now into the quarter final, I'll be doing everything I can to try and win it. We'll meet BK Häcken at home in the last 8.

April

April%2015%20results.png

April%2015%20table.png

Good cup wins. SHould beat Hacken, right?

By the skin of our teeth!

It's been a very busy month, but we've made a really bright start to the season. I have been a little disappointed by the form of Tim Väyrynen at the start of his time at the club, but Ericsson has been magnificent. I still need to see if I can make a little tactical tweak to get us scoring a few more goals, but I really can't complain with our first couple of months of the season.

May

May%2015%20results.png

Swedish%20Cup%20final%202015.png

May%2015%20table.png

Wow, what a month! Once again we had to fit seven games in, and yet we managed to keep marching forwards. Our form has been excellent, only dropping points in a tough trip to champions Goteborg (although we had to come from two goals down at home against BK Häcken) and even picking up the club's first piece of major silverware in its history. We now have a three week break, so I'll be using this time to try and secure some more home-grown talent on frees for next season.

Although we only got a tiny amount of prize money for winning the cup €5,000...yes, really...) we did make the best part of €500,000 in gate receipts. Although we're still in the red, that boost of cash has helped to FINALLY convince the board to up junior coaching from basic to satisfactory. It's not much, but it is a start...

Great work on the cup win!!!

Cheers, man. Extra time was rough as we played most of it with 10 men after injury, and with half our team on sub 60 condition, but we held our nerve with the pens. Hope it is the first of many trophies...

Hopefully the first taste of silverware will give your boys a taste for victory.

Let's hope so. It's gone some way towards making up for the disappointment in last year's title race, even if the board couldn't care less about it.

Once again at the mid-season break, I've been looking to find more homegrown talent on Bosman deals for next year. I've only made three signings, but all could be quite useful.

Budimir%20Krsmanovic.png

Pontus%20Asbrink.png

Emil%20Krafth.png

I've also agreed a deal to sell full back Christian Demirtas for €60,000, just six months after he arrived on a free. I've grown tired of a combination of moaning about not being in the first team and slack training, so I'll be happy to see him out the door.

June

June%2015%20results.png

June%2015%20table.png

Things are still going pretty well domestically, although we're still not quite scoring as many goals as I would like. That was costly in our last game of the month, where we were fortunate to come away with a point, but it still leaves us unbeaten, and ensures we're well placed in the title race. I would expect us to drop a few points in the coming weeks though, as I'll need to rotate the squad with big European games coming up. We enter the Europa League at the 2nd qualifying round, where we'll meet Vålerenga of Norway. A tricky draw, with the home tie to come first.

Archived