[FM13] The Scandinavian Shankly: smashing the status quo

withnail316

8 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Kiselec and Ozan look great for the Allsvenskan, withnail!  Glad to see you're doing well, and I can all but guarantee that Elfsborg will struggle with juggling a domestic and European campaign next year...not that that is any consolation to you now...

I'm enjoying not having it all my own way, tbh. Elfsborg were incredible last year, and with 3 titles in 4 years, they are definitely the team to beat.

I'm confident the squad is stronger this year though. Now I could make 10 changes, and be reasonably sure we can get a result. 

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March

March%202016%20Results.png

Super%20Cup%202016.png

March%202016%20Table.png

Really pleased with our start to the new season, although some performances have been better than others. The Super Cup victory was brilliant, we were down to 10 men for 35 minutes and 2-1 down after 85 minutes, and yet this team had the character to come through and win the game. It was pleasing to come through another group stage of the cup too, although we did that the hard way in the final game. Pär Ericsson has started this season in the same vein as he finished last year too, and he already has 9 goals to his name. 

Back to my old format of updates. I can't seem to get the images I add directly and not from photobucket to look right, but now links and images from elsewhere are working, I'll just carry on as before. 

April

April%202016%20results.png

April%202016%20table.png

Another decent month in the league, although we rather let ourselves down in the cup. We created so many chances (24 shots on goal) over the 120 minutes, while looked relatively untroubled at the other end - so of course we lost on penalties. Disappointing, but we have bigger fish to fry this season, and thankfully the board share that viewpoint. Having two fewer games could help to keep the squad fresh for the challenges the league will throw up, and we go to the national stadium to face AIK in a top of the table clash next. 

May

May%202016%20table.png

May%202016%20results.png

Another solid month, and we remain unbeaten in the league, but our performances have been a little mixed. I was pleased with the draw at AIK, but the home performance against Kalmar was dismal. It's certainly looking like a very interesting title race, although I'll be intrigued to see what happens when the European games come around, as all three unbeaten sides have Europa League qualifiers. Now we're at the summer break, I'm planning on a couple of friendlies to allow us to tweak our system a little, as well as give some of our fringe players a bit of match time. 

There's also a bit of transfer news. French defender Idir Abdelli has been making noises about joining a bigger club since the end of last season, and finally I've snapped and agreed to let him go. He had a buy-out clause in his contract for €2.5m, so I offered him out for €2.4m and 50% of his next transfer, and I was delighted to see Vålerenga offered me exactly that. He'll be moving to Oslo in July, and my replacement has arrived on a free:

Slobodan%20Rajkovic.png

9 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Never played 13, but I've always rated Rajkovic as a good signing in most leagues in 16.

This is the first time I've encountered him, tbh. He looks pretty solid, but I can see me selling him in 18 months or so simply because of homegrown rules. 

26 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

This is the first time I've encountered him, tbh. He looks pretty solid, but I can see me selling him in 18 months or so simply because of homegrown rules. 

Hopefully for a tidy sum, too.

Europa_League_Logo.jpg

Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round

1st Leg: Krka 0-5  Örebro SK

A dream of a Slovenian away trip. We were in complete control after just 20 minutes thanks to Kaludjerovic and Rekish, and by the break it was 4-0 thanks to another from Rekish and one from Ericsson. Rekish completed his hat-trick in the second half from the spot. Perfect. 

2nd Leg: Örebro SK 2-0 Krka

A bit of a complacent performance in the second leg, despite me making eight changes from the first leg. Still, Kaludjerovic and Ozan ipek goals see us safely through to the next round and a massive test - we meet Everton, with a trip to Merseyside in the first leg. Everton made the Europa League final two years ago, which they lost to Barcelona. 

June & July

July%202016%20results.png

July%202016%20table.png

A mammoth month of game time then, but things are going pretty well for us. We've put in some truly outstanding performances, where in other games we've just ground out results (Elfsborg and Hammarby the two main examples of the latter.) We've also managed to open up a little gap at the top, which would have been bigger were it not for a missed penalty and an incorrectly ruled out goal in the 0-0 draw with Östers. We are missing Igor Kiselev though, who has been out of action since the Malmo game with injury. While his goalscoring form hasn't been great (7 in 16 appearances) he has laid on 9 for his team-mates, so it'll be good to get him back in the team. He's due back in three days, although that'll come too late for the second leg of the Everton game, which is a shame - but he should start in the clash with AIK four days later. 

Europa_League_Logo.jpg

Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round

1st Leg: Everton 1-1  Örebro SK

Delighted with our first leg display, we were absolutely brilliant. The first half was spent defending our penalty box, but after 65 minutes we launched a rapid counter, and Pär Ericsson smashed us in front from 18 yards. Everton continued to press though and got their reward 10 minutes from time, Victor Anichibe drilling home from close range. Game on. 

2nd Leg: Örebro SK 0-1 Everton

Another really good performance, but sadly we just didn't quite have the quality on the day. Anichibe again for Everton, and while I couldn't help but wonder what might have been had Kiselev been available instead of the misfiring Kaludjerovic, we certainly didn't disgrace ourselves. 

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

Can't complain of the effort vs Everton, and it's looking great in the league too.

We've definitely got a chance. The game with AIK could be pivotal, and that is my next game. Hoping to get some FM time in later on.

August

August%202016%20results.png

August%202016%20table.png

Hmm. I feel like we're treading water at the moment. Our performances this month have been pretty average at best, bar the win against AIK. We were very mediocre in the draw at Halmstad (and would have lost were it not for a late penalty save) and against Goteborg were just dreadful. We've now hit an international break, but I need to try and do something to try and pick performances up again, or we'll end up empty handed once more. 

23 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I'd still be optimistic on that league position.

Yeah, the table looks great so I can be relatively optimistic, but the performances are worrying me. And we have very recent history of throwing a title away on the last day...

September

September%2016%20results.png

September%2016%20table.png

A much better month, and I'm now feeling quite confident about the title. The game with Helsingborg was absolutely crazy, although I wasn't thrilled to concede four at home. Still, we're two wins away from taking the title...

618px-Örebro_SK_Logo.png

Örebro SK - 2016 season summary

League (Allsvenskan)

Media prediction: 4th (of 16)
Finished: 1st (Champions)

Cups

Svenska Cupen: Quarter Finals

Europa League: 3rd qualifying round

Top scorers

Par Ericsson: 29 goals in 34 appearances (22 in the league - golden boot winner)
Igor Kiselev: 19 goals in 28 appearances (15 in the league)                       
Andrija Kaludjerovic: 14 goals in 16 games (9 in the league)   

Positives 

An outstanding year sees the club pick up a first-ever league title. We've been magnificent in the league, hence the 72 points we've acquired, losing just twice in the league all year. I'm confident that even if we don't do any transfer deals this summer, the squad will be strong enough to challenge again next year, although with €3m in the bank, I'm hoping to spend a bit of money this winter to strengthen. Lovely stuff. 

Concerns

My main concern is the agent of Dzmitry Rekish, to be honest. I'd love to keep the Belarussian at the club, but I cannot see a way I can agree a deal when his agent is making such outrageous requests. As a result, I'll be looking for another option on the left of midfield, and I'll simply have to sell him. 

Ambitions

Win the title again next year, and qualify for some form of European football. Of course, the Champions League is preferable, but we need something next year. 

Player of the season

Manager's choice - Par Ericsson
Fans' choice - Par Ericsson

Attendances

Lowest attendance: 5,729 v Orgryte in the Svenska Cupen
Highest attendance: 11,000 (all-seater sell out) v Everton in the Europa League
Average attendance: 8,521 (8,319 in the league)

Finances

€2,900,000 in credit

55 minutes ago, deltablue said:

That was a fantastically dominant title win!

It certainly looked that way in the end, but after the last two years, I was nervous until we got over the line! Hopefully we can build on it next year.

618px-Örebro_SK_Logo.png

Örebro SK
Season preview - 2017

Media expectation: 1st (of 16)
Board expectation: qualify for the Europa League

Transfer budget (remaining): €3.1m
Wage budget: €75,500p/w (€7,000p/w under budget)

Another season just a few weeks from getting underway, then. The players have had their longer break this year after we were eliminated early in the Europa League, but I'm hopeful that won't be the case come the end of 2017. I have to give my board a bit of credit this winter, it would have been easy for them to ramp up the expectations this year after securing last year's title, but they resisted that temptation. I'm quietly confident that we'll be there or there abouts, but I have been wrong before...

Much like last year, our finances are looking much better than in my early days at the club, although my board have resisted my repeated requests to upgrade our youth facilities again. I shall undoubtedly keep trying, although I may yet use some more cash for additional signings. I'm still on the look-out for homegrown players to bolster our numbers, although we do have a couple of overseas youngsters who'll become homegrown this year, which helps. We're still no closer to needing a new ground either, although attendances are increasing steadily year-on-year. 

On to transfers, and it's been another very busy winter - at least for players leaving the club. Just two players have gone out on loan (I've decided to keep striker Christian Kouakou at the club this year as he scored 17 goals at Syrianska last year) although Oliver Sigurjonsson and Christer Lipovac have both joined Syrianska on loan. Six players have left permanently though, and all for a fee. Striker William Atashkadeh was wasting away with us, so has joined Jönköpings Södra for €240,000, while Marcus Astvald joined BK Häcken for €95,000. Defenders Johann Hammar and Sandeep Mankoo both joined Aalesund of Norway for identical fees of €210,000, while midfielder Dennis Abdulahi has gone to Strømsgodset for €850,000. The biggest deal though was for American youngster Maurizio Maiello, signed by my Director of Football on a free, and he has joined Lillestrøm for €1.4m. That's a total of €3m brought in, and there may well be even more if I can agree a deal to sell awkward winger Dzmitriy Rekish in the coming weeks. 

I mentioned earlier that we had broken our transfer record, and that was because we spent €1.1m on left-winger Joachim Foldgast from FC Nordsjaelland in Denmark. That is roughly three times more than our previous record, which was set last winter. The other two additions were both on free transfers, and they were centre back Jonathan Azulay from IFK Goteborg, and the unattached American Steve Murphy, who at 18 can become homegrown in a few years time. 

A bit of a surprise deal to tell you about. Slobodan Rajkovic had become unsettled in Sweden, and so I let him go for €1m and 50% of his next transfer to SV Ried in Austria. An outstanding player, but I'm happy with the deal for an unhappy player, and even more so considering it is all profit. I've replaced him with a free transfer, too.

Lee%20Addy.png

I've also been able to use that extra cash to up our junior coaching to an excellent level. Lovely stuff. 

1 hour ago, Deisler26 said:

Oof. I'd check out replacements post-haste

I've identified one who is out of contract, and we are the only club watching him. He wants stupid wages though, so I shall hang on a while. I'd be more worried if a big Norwegian club was following Kiselev as their window is still open, but the French/German links at least give me time.

In the meantime, I'll try and convince him to sign a new deal, with a larger buy-out.

March

March%202017%20results.png

An excellent start to the competitive stuff. We haven't really broken a sweat in the Cup, although we were very average in the Super Cup final. Still, it's nice to start the season with a trophy, and a huge crowd of 12,745, which is the largest crowd for a home game in my time at the club. (Super Cup finals are played at the home of the league champions, for reference.)

April

April%2017%20results.png

April%2017%20table.png

A perfect (albeit congested) month sees us take the initiative in the league, and also take our place in a 2nd cup final in three years. Things are looking pretty good on the pitch then, and at the moment I'm able to make 9 changes (every player bar my keeper and one of the strikers) without losing too much quality. That is especially useful in the early weeks of the season, as the midweek cup-ties can be tricky. 

May

May%2017%20results.png

May%2017%20table.png

The performances have dropped a little this month, although I'm really pleased with the opening third of the season. It was brilliant to pick up our second Svenska Cupen in three years, despite the board not really caring about it, and we're looking decent at the top of the pile. However, we're a long way from infallible, so our last two home games have been disappointing. We've also lost winger Ozan ipek to injury for the next three months, and although I didn't really want to bring anybody else in, I found a deal I couldn't resist with Champions League games in mind...

Christian%20Atsu.png

Atsu joins us on a free after his release from FC Porto. 

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

When you start bringing over recognisable names to Sweden, it's got to be a sign of progress.

Definitely, although Atsu has spent most of his time in the Porto B team over the last few years. 

Archived