[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

I really wonder why they both start with higher youth recruitment. I can't imagine it's because they're in a better location, because San Marino is so small. If you read this SoloTitano, do you know why?

I have no idea why, Fiorentino is a tiny village of 2k people. Also I was wrong with Juvenes / Dogana being predicted 1st, I was getting them muddled up with Folgore / Falciano. Juvenes / Dogana do start with basic in both.

I started this on Saturday and I only have SM loaded - I did load players from top division club (Europe) however. I'm speeding through the seasons and entering my 4th already. I've been taking SS as I go in case I end up creating a thread.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea why, Fiorentino is a tiny village of 2k people. Also I was wrong with Juvenes / Dogana being predicted 1st, I was getting them muddled up with Folgore / Falciano. Juvenes / Dogana do start with basic in both.

I started this on Saturday and I only have SM loaded - I did load players from top division club (Europe) however. I'm speeding through the seasons and entering my 4th already. I've been taking SS as I go in case I end up creating a thread.

I'd love to read a thread if you wanted to make one, the more people trying this mental challenge with me the better :D

Was wondering Jamie, do you have just the San Marino league loaded or do you have Italy as well or even more than that?

I started with just the San Marino League loaded, but also add players from clubs in European continental competitions. I added the Italian leagues down to the lowest level (Seria C) to try and get some good players through San Marino Calcio too about 20 years in, but unfortunately they've been languishing in Seria D for a while :(

I've been thinking about giving it a go in either Cyprus (A bit easier), but start in the 3rd division or Gibraltar which maybe as hard? I don't know. Thoughts?

I think a youth challenge in a country with multiple divisions is really hard - because you're not buying any players, it takes a very long time to move up the divisions (at least that's what I found when reading HRBFCrule's thread with IK Tord on FM 11). I'm not sure about Gibraltar - I know they aren't FIFA members so you don't get the chance to qualify for the WC, and I think (but I'm not certain) there's a bug with TV money where you start getting ridiculous amounts once the league improves.

Personally, my recommendations would be San Marino (of course), and then probably somewhere like the Faroe Islands, Andorra or Moldova. Iceland might be quite an interesting one - their NT is having a golden generation, but it's an absolutely tiny country and I don't think their domestic football is up to much.

Are you done with your road to riches save? I hadn't commented in a while, but I was enjoying it :)

I started with just the San Marino League loaded, but also add players from clubs in European continental competitions. I added the Italian leagues down to the lowest level (Seria C) to try and get some good players through San Marino Calcio too about 20 years in, but unfortunately they've been languishing in Seria D for a while :(

I think a youth challenge in a country with multiple divisions is really hard - because you're not buying any players, it takes a very long time to move up the divisions (at least that's what I found when reading HRBFCrule's thread with IK Tord on FM 11). I'm not sure about Gibraltar - I know they aren't FIFA members so you don't get the chance to qualify for the WC, and I think (but I'm not certain) there's a bug with TV money where you start getting ridiculous amounts once the league improves.

Personally, my recommendations would be San Marino (of course), and then probably somewhere like the Faroe Islands, Andorra or Moldova. Iceland might be quite an interesting one - their NT is having a golden generation, but it's an absolutely tiny country and I don't think their domestic football is up to much.

Are you done with your road to riches save? I hadn't commented in a while, but I was enjoying it :)

Yeah it might be more difficult but I reckon if I got a stable tactic going then we might be able to get a promotion or two eventually. Don't Gibraltar join FIFA at some point in the game? If there's a bug with TV money I don't want to do that, would make it a lot easier. Those places seem like a good challenge to be honest. I mentioned Cyprus as that's where I last went on holiday so wanted to go there. They have 3 divisions. What do you think? Would it be really easy? I want something really hard.

I'm not done with it but there doesn't seem to be much interest and thats why I started it if i'm honest.

Gibraltar will be great challenge to play, In official SI Gibraltar database you have no TV money, I play it and have year 2050 - Still no TV money and 2,5* First division.

The San Marino Challenge was spoiled for me this year because of the 8 year NT management rule, (you get auto-sacked after 8 years).

I have recently been listening to a YouTube series from WorkTheSpace @Jackzeh, but the problem with his series, (however brilliant), is that he started with a created club and edited the infrastructure so that the facilities were better than the hard-coded ceiling that I expect is there, (although don't know for sure). As a result the reputation is given a false boost and this in turn allows him to attract players that otherwise would not be interested. He's done brilliantly and in 2032 the (GIB) structure was awarded a TV deal amounting to £74.08M per club in the top division. He thinks that the catalyst for the TV is entering the top 30 structures based on rep, (however I'm not convinced and it's actually hard to work out because he doesn't show the things that I want him to show in his updates because he's not playing a Youth only save, (but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments). I just wish he had tried it with an existing club and not edited one in at the beginning. He's never lied about anything so it's not that. It's just that he doesn't play the way we play and I guess I get frustrated at that, (which is completely unreasonable I know). I would love to encourage him to do a Youth Only save, but the problem with these guys who get thousands of views is that they have to cater to the masses. Everyone would be bored with us going on and on about a youth prospect that wasn't actually very good in the grand scheme of things because it's not how the masses play. I think that the happy medium is a club in a bigger league where you are likely to produce better youngsters and have a better chance of progression, but the higher up you go, the harder a Youth Only challenge is, (like my Regensburg Challenge for example). The problem is that there are so many unknowns and even things we/I think we/I know with regards to the long term development of a structure, well..... they really aren't 100% and even now we are all learning as we go even after getting input/knowledge from 10 seriously good save/threads.

I think there is a growing demand/attraction for this type of save and (largely down to you and Makoto Nakamura), the word is spreading. I just wish that I hadn't been sacked by Regensberg and had my original save ruined, or that San Marino didn't sack all NT managers after 8 years in FM16. I really feel like I have missed out in learning so much in this version of the game.

I think with FM17 I am going to try and go for something middle of the road whereby I do a Scandinavian based save and rather than Youth only, I will do a save whereby I manage an Icelandic team and am only able to sign Scandinavians. With the focus still on youth, (but not exclusively), I think that gives the best potential for long term save development that we can all learn from.

Yeah it might be more difficult but I reckon if I got a stable tactic going then we might be able to get a promotion or two eventually. Don't Gibraltar join FIFA at some point in the game? If there's a bug with TV money I don't want to do that, would make it a lot easier. Those places seem like a good challenge to be honest. I mentioned Cyprus as that's where I last went on holiday so wanted to go there. They have 3 divisions. What do you think? Would it be really easy? I want something really hard.

I'm not done with it but there doesn't seem to be much interest and thats why I started it if i'm honest.

Gibraltar haven't become a FIFA member on my save, so it doesn't look like it. Unless I missed it, I don't think they're members in real life yet either?

I'm not sure about the TV bug - I learnt about it from WorktheSpace's save like Jimbo, but Domik says that it hasn't happened to him on his save where he hasn't created a club. I wonder what the structure rankings are like for him, because it's possible it only happens with a created club, or it's possible that it happens every time the league hits a certain threshold.

Cyprus is completely up to you. If you felt a real connection with the place when you went there I'd definitely go for it, because it's things like that really make a save special. I only started in San Marino because I have a real affinity with the place, and feel bad every time they get pumped 8-0.

It definitely won't be easy - first of all, you have to work your way up the divisions without actually buying anyone, and then you have to turn your team into a team who can qualify for Europe, and even once you do that you'll probably be getting smashed in the Qualifiers. I don't think the standard of Cypriot football is that special - APOEL are decent (and I think Omonia are from Cyprus too) but neither are powerhouses in Europe, and I don't think I could name another Cypriot team off the top of my head. They're currently ranked 84th in the world, but they're a lot lower than that on my save.

If you want the hardest challenge in the game that probably isn't possible, go for San Marino. If you want a ridiculously hard challenge that might be possible, I think Cyprus is a good choice. If you want to make it harder for yourself, pick one of the weaker teams with poor facilities there. I think the first few years will be a lot harder than in San Marino because you're languishing in the bottom division, trying just not to get relegated. The European side of things might go quicker because the league isn't completely terrible, but it's definitely not easy.

People usually read things without leaving a comment. Don't get disheartened by it. It had over 6,800 views, so clearly people were enjoying it!

Gibraltar haven't become a FIFA member on my save, so it doesn't look like it. Unless I missed it, I don't think they're members in real life yet either?

Gibraltar don't become a member of FIFA in FM16, but they were actually accepted into FIFA in real life last week, (with Kosovo), so both will be changed for FM17 I'm sure.

The San Marino Challenge was spoiled for me this year because of the 8 year NT management rule, (you get auto-sacked after 8 years).

I have recently been listening to a YouTube series from WorkTheSpace @Jackzeh, but the problem with his series, (however brilliant), is that he started with a created club and edited the infrastructure so that the facilities were better than the hard-coded ceiling that I expect is there, (although don't know for sure). As a result the reputation is given a false boost and this in turn allows him to attract players that otherwise would not be interested. He's done brilliantly and in 2032 the (GIB) structure was awarded a TV deal amounting to £74.08M per club in the top division. He thinks that the catalyst for the TV is entering the top 30 structures based on rep, (however I'm not convinced and it's actually hard to work out because he doesn't show the things that I want him to show in his updates because he's not playing a Youth only save, (but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments). I just wish he had tried it with an existing club and not edited one in at the beginning. He's never lied about anything so it's not that. It's just that he doesn't play the way we play and I guess I get frustrated at that, (which is completely unreasonable I know). I would love to encourage him to do a Youth Only save, but the problem with these guys who get thousands of views is that they have to cater to the masses. Everyone would be bored with us going on and on about a youth prospect that wasn't actually very good in the grand scheme of things because it's not how the masses play. I think that the happy medium is a club in a bigger league where you are likely to produce better youngsters and have a better chance of progression, but the higher up you go, the harder a Youth Only challenge is, (like my Regensburg Challenge for example). The problem is that there are so many unknowns and even things we/I think we/I know with regards to the long term development of a structure, well..... they really aren't 100% and even now we are all learning as we go even after getting input/knowledge from 10 seriously good save/threads.

I think there is a growing demand/attraction for this type of save and (largely down to you and Makoto Nakamura), the word is spreading. I just wish that I hadn't been sacked by Regensberg and had my original save ruined, or that San Marino didn't sack all NT managers after 8 years in FM16. I really feel like I have missed out in learning so much in this version of the game.

I think with FM17 I am going to try and go for something middle of the road whereby I do a Scandinavian based save and rather than Youth only, I will do a save whereby I manage an Icelandic team and am only able to sign Scandinavians. With the focus still on youth, (but not exclusively), I think that gives the best potential for long term save development that we can all learn from.

I agree, I would have loved him to use an original team in the Second Division rather than create his own, even if he didn't go the youth only route. That's actually probably why I stopped watching, because it seemed like he'd given himself too easy a headstart.

I could be wrong because I'm not actually sure if it was youth only, but I know JustanotherguyHD did a Gibraltar save on Youtube on FM 15 that was very popular, and might have been youth only. I think there's definitely a market for youth only saves, but probably not from the already well established youtubers who have a fanbase who know what they like.

Personally, I love youth only saves, and hopefully the combined efforts on people on here are starting to bring it more to the forefront of people's minds as a genuinely fun way to play the game. The way I've gotten around the NT sacking me after 8 years is just making a new character and having him run the NT alongside my club manager - it's not perfect, because you have to set the nicknames for all your players, you don't have the combined achievements/history and you have to do it every 8 years, but it's the best I can do short of buying the editor and using that to stop them firing me.

Whatever you do in FM17, I can't wait to read it. You're one of the best posters on these forums with your knowledge of the game and the level of detail you put into every post.

If there's a bug with TV money I don't want to do that, would make it a lot easier. Those places seem like a good challenge to be honest. I mentioned Cyprus as that's where I last went on holiday so wanted to go there. They have 3 divisions. What do you think? Would it be really easy? I want something really hard.

The TV bug thing is actually a new thing and I'm not 100% sure that it's a bug at all.

There used to be a bug in the Gibraltar game whereby the Rock Cup money was ridiculous, but I played a longish save in that and never encountered it at all.

With regards to "hard". I would honestly say that any save at all where you completely limit yourself to Youth Only is a hard challenge. If you pick a big club the expectations will be high, but if you pick a small club then you might start with low expectations, but you have further to go to get to the top, and vitally you will orobably start with very poor facilities, (which you need to improve to get to the top).

I'm guessing someone has logged that bug with the San Marino national team? Why can't they fix it? Surely it would take a few minutes as it's their code.

It's an issue of manpower. If it was feasible, they'd have people working to fix every single bug in the game, but it's not. They probably only have one or two developers (if any) still working on FM16, because at some point they have to begin development on the new title.

It would probably take a while to fix, because they'd have to go through mountains of code to find the right segment, and even then there's probably nothing that jumps out at them. They'd have to change a variable, test that in the game, and rinse and repeat until they hit upon what's causing the bug - and then come up with a new portion of code to fix it, possibly having to rewrite the whole module.

For something that affects such a small proportion of the players at so late in the cycle, it's really not worth their time to try and fix it. It sucks, but that's game development.

Gibraltar don't become a member of FIFA in FM16, but they were actually accepted into FIFA in real life last week, (with Kosovo), so both will be changed for FM17 I'm sure.

Ahhh, I missed that. I only heard about Kosovo. I have a feeling now that they can qualify for the WC Gibraltar might become a much more popular challenge (although probably not going down the youth only path).

The TV bug thing is actually a new thing and I'm not 100% sure that it's a bug at all.

There used to be a bug in the Gibraltar game whereby the Rock Cup money was ridiculous, but I played a longish save in that and never encountered it at all.

With regards to "hard". I would honestly say that any save at all where you completely limit yourself to Youth Only is a hard challenge. If you pick a big club the expectations will be high, but if you pick a small club then you might start with low expectations, but you have further to go to get to the top, and vitally you will orobably start with very poor facilities, (which you need to improve to get to the top).

In regards to the last sentence I suppose you're right. Either way you are going to have difficult stages at whatever club in whatever country you choose.

I'm guessing someone has logged that bug with the San Marino national team? Why can't they fix it? Surely it would take a few minutes as it's their code.

Not that simple. No change will take just a few minutes, and it's a matter of balancing up which things they should be fixing. I imagine that was way down the list in terms of priority, if it was reported at all.

Hmm...I'd say it's a pretty clear bug. But then I'm probably the worst kind of person, as I didn't report it either. It never really struck me as being that bad to warrant reporting anyway. I enjoyed my save, it made a decent story, and that was enough for me. But there's definitely something wrong in there. Both Gibraltar saves I experienced it (I posted the details on one of the topics on it in GD) and in 15 it was worse than 14. I started a Gibraltar save on 16 as a bit of light relief from my main save, and only four seasons played so obviously haven't hit it. Might do some holidaying to see if I do, but I'd say there definitely shouldn't be a tournament where you're getting £20mill a game (Rock Cup prize money, 4 games, circa 100mill) and that TV deals shouldn't outstrip the EPL for what was still a relatively poor league that only played 21 games.

I agree, I would have loved him to use an original team in the Second Division rather than create his own, even if he didn't go the youth only route. That's actually probably why I stopped watching, because it seemed like he'd given himself too easy a headstart.

I could be wrong because I'm not actually sure if it was youth only, but I know JustanotherguyHD did a Gibraltar save on Youtube on FM 15 that was very popular, and might have been youth only. I think there's definitely a market for youth only saves, but probably not from the already well established youtubers who have a fanbase who know what they like.

Personally, I love youth only saves, and hopefully the combined efforts on people on here are starting to bring it more to the forefront of people's minds as a genuinely fun way to play the game. The way I've gotten around the NT sacking me after 8 years is just making a new character and having him run the NT alongside my club manager - it's not perfect, because you have to set the nicknames for all your players, you don't have the combined achievements/history and you have to do it every 8 years, but it's the best I can do short of buying the editor and using that to stop them firing me.

Whatever you do in FM17, I can't wait to read it. You're one of the best posters on these forums with your knowledge of the game and the level of detail you put into every post.

I'd say youth saves are probably the ultimate challenge, and within that, Gibraltar is (currently at least) the pinnacle of that. In fact, I'd say it's probably impossible with the way the database is out of the box. Gibraltar have a laughably tiny youth rating (I believe it was the same as some third world countries), and match importance set around the middle. You can improve your facilities all you want, but with those values I don't think it's possible to build a side for the nation that will be successful. Your only hope as the manager of the National team is to naturalise players of other nationalities and get them playing for you. Obviously that goes against what you're trying to do as part of a youth only save though.

That could all change in FM17 though I suppose, depending on what they do with the db. I'm not expecting Gibraltar to have a similar youth rating to a huge nation, but I personally think it's far too low at the moment.

In regards to the last sentence I suppose you're right. Either way you are going to have difficult stages at whatever club in whatever country you choose.

It's going to be difficult no matter who you choose, know that. In fact, it's probably going to be incredibly tedious unless you're really into it. If you are going to go for it, keep that in mind. I take my hats off to anyone who can stick with it, I never could.

Just a quick update with this, I'm far from done but with my first exam tomorrow I probably won't be touching this for a fair few days. Updates will probably start again in about a week, although there might be a few sporadic ones before then.

Just a quick update with this, I'm far from done but with my first exam tomorrow I probably won't be touching this for a fair few days. Updates will probably start again in about a week, although there might be a few sporadic ones before then.

Good luck with the exams Jamie!! We look forward to your return :)

I've gotten to circa 2042 with Gib Phoenix on FM16, and I can confirm that the ~$100M/season does start pouring in around the time you rise to 30th place or so. I believe it was 33rd place when it happened on my game.

If you haven't been following smp or Makoto's threads (and you should be, because they're awesome) then there's something up with my save. Our league rep and the clubs in it just aren't progressing at anywhere near the rate they should be. I've got no idea how much that's going to affect things, but we'll carry on and see what happens.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Go unbeaten in the league, lose in the final on penalties. #JustSanGiovannithings.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

I can't remember how long it's been since we went trophyless.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Roberto Spinozzi (YP155) - 8.65

An 8.65 is absolutely ridiculous.

Top Goalscorer:

Matteo Venerucci - 31

I really don't like our strikers.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Enrico Marioti (YP161)

Having players peak at 18 really isn't ideal.

Aims for next season:

Well, we're not even in the CL and I doubt we'll be seeded for the later Europa rounds, so we have a job on just to reach the groups.

Other teams:

League Winners: Folgore.

Cup Winners: Virtus beat Faetano 3-0 in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: We lost to Tel Aviv in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We lost to Montpellier in the Playoff. Juvenes Dogana lost 3-0 to Brondby, Murata lost 4-0 to Aktobe but Libertas gave us some help, beating Lions from Gibraltar 4-0. They were so close to going further, as well - they were 2-1 up away from home against Djurgarden from Sweden, but lost 2-0 in the home leg. So close :(

San Marino National team:

2130 Results -- 2131 Results

We won our group!

7745ec2ca1e0157cc8f8e3cf53766eb8.png

WHY?

I hate my board so much. We're not going to be making much money from Europe for a while with the way we're playing - so let's blow our entire budget on a new stadium. But let's not stop there - let's call it Bacciocchi stadium to honour the club legend. Except there's two club legends with that last name, and I have no idea which one it's named after. F***ing geniuses.

17e19ee81308c712dbf015f426ad20cf.png

No way. If the idiots have decided that we now need money because they spent so much on a new stadium, I'm going to murder them. Luckily I was able to protest this one successfully, but I swear to god, if they get rid of some of our players...

It's always the Austrian clubs stealing all the players, I wonder if there's something deeper going on between Austria and San Marino...

I'd be surprised if your average Austrian even knew San Marino played football :lol:

I really dont understand the boards logic? With the stadium and with selling players for peanuts. Are your player values really low? Mine are all under 1k.

I really dont understand the boards logic? With the stadium and with selling players for peanuts. Are your player values really low? Mine are all under 1k.

Yeah, none of our players are valued at much, but that doesn't mean the board should be accepting any money they can get their hands on :mad:

I completely agree, its nuts!! Its like the board cant tell the difference between 10 times the asking price on a 5m player (50m youd be nuts to turn down) and a 1k player at a measly 10k.

Maybe start buying players?

It's actually something I've been thinking about. I won't start doing that just yet, but I could see myself doing it down the line. For now, I guess we're just going to try and rebuild the chairman's mess as best we can while I shift more of my focus for the NT and trying to qualify for a major tourney.

ca8fcd53ea35320b827ddf0a761b0e3e.png

We're away, but I'm hopeful that we can beat them. The problem is that if we do, we play the winner of Hungary and Cyprus. Hungary are 45th in the world and deservedly so, and Cyprus are a lot better than us. We're going to need a lot of luck.

f4f63990b3ba5671ccacd60f7d773531.png

We've lost another key player, although this one isn't the chairman's fault. He'd always been a reserve player because of the talent we had in CM, and so I hadn't felt the rush to extend his contract. A combination of rapid development and everyone else leaving meant he became a huge player for us this year, but he realised that, rejected our offers of a new deal and is off to Turkey. Damnit.

2ce58b476ba42819d647319c312fc778.png

Archived