[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0ea05332ca4b3a1faffd5ae90bbdc243.png

That's a lucky escape. They went 2 up early, but two superb headers from Diego Rinaldi (YP138) keeps us alive in the group. Unfortunately, Standard drew with Avellino, so here's the table:

62914c2402fbd82908070adebbb33706.png

I just don't see any way we can go through. We play Avellino, and if we don't take points off them, we're out - we'll be on 5 points, and either Standard will be on 6 with a draw, Augsburg will be on 6 with a win, or Standard will be on 8 with a win. We're going to need at least a draw against them, and hope for a little help elsewhere. I don't see it happening.

Just put every single man behind the ball in a 4-1-4-1 and try and frustrate the life out of them. Go attacking mentality for the quick transitions and just drop the closing down and defensive line right down with team instructions. Just off the top of my head. :thup:

I just realised I've forgotten something - even a win might not send us through. If we finish level on points with anyone, it'll come down to H2H record first - but we split both Standard and Augsburg. Because of that, we might be in trouble should we finish level on points with anyone. Because it's so tense, I'll be doing minute by minute updates of both games.

"You join us here in the Sky Sports News Studio for an exciting night of football ahead. Personally, I'm very excited for Group C of the Europa League, where every team can still make it through to the Knockout Rounds."

1st minute: "Well, I think tha.. OHH, I DON'T BELIEVE IT! THERE'S EARLY DRAMA IN SAN MARINO... SAN GIOVANNI LEAD AVELLINO AFTER 26 SECONDS! There didn't seem to be much danger, but Diego Rinaldi (YP138) just glides into the box and sticks one into the bottom corner. The minnows strike first!

11th minute: "Standard Liege have first blood in their Group C game. Jacquet has put them 1-0 up over Augsburg, and it looks like the Germans are all but out now."

20th minute: "And it's two to Standard Liege! With that goal, they've leapfrogged San Giovanni into second place on goal difference - and you can see that the minnows know it. Jamie Sewell looks crestfallen on the sideline, as the realisation hits him that even a win over the group leaders might not be enough to send them through."

28th minute: "WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT, SAN GIOVANNI ARE 2-0 AHEAD! Avellino have been caught napping once again, and Federico Bernardi (YP135) has just fired a rocket right into the bottom corner from 18 yards out. San Giovanni have pulled ahead of Standard Liege on goals scored for now, but you just know there's more drama to come."

HT: Well, as things stand, it will be San Giovanni joining Avellino in the Knockout Rounds, but so much can change in a half of football. San Giovanni might be two up, but Avellino are runaway group winners for a reason. Standard know that they're currently missing out, and you can bet they'll be all over a thoroughly dispirited Augsburg team in the second half.

53rd minute: "AND STANDARD LIEGE HAVE A THIRD! Augsburg have fallen to pieces here, and with 37 minutes of football left to play, it's Standard Liege going through right now."

73rd minute: "San Giovanni are pressing, but they can't find a way through yet. This would be such a harsh way to go out. Here they come once more. Conti plays it to Berardi WHO GOES PAST HIS MAN... OHHHHHH, WHAT A FINISH! SAN GIOVANNI HAVE A THIRD!"

76th minute: "There's been a goal in Belgium. BUT IT'S GONE TO THE GERMANS! Martin Lefevre turns the ball in at the second attempt, and just look at the Standard Liege players collapse to the floor. They've thrown away their chance, surely. But they can't say it hasn't been coming. The warning signs have been there for a long, long time, and Augsburg have finally taken their chance. I wouldn't bet against Augsburg scoring another, here.

83rd minute: "That'll do it! San Giovanni have a fourth! Some poor marking allowed Diego Rinaldi (YP138) in at the back, and his effort has been spilled over the line by the keeper. It's a shoddy goal, indicative of Avellino's play tonight, but San Giovanni won't care one bit! They're dancing all the way into the Knockout Stage!

It seems so...

3fcdccd1f60938a535bea02238eb7c6d.png

In that case, I'll hold off applying for the job for a while yet.

Don't you have to pay to use the in game editor Sven?

I've already set the FA patience at their best (20/20), can't figure out how to handle this :\

Thanks guys!

Solo, what are the other factors for the NT? I think that some things might be conflicting with each other and causing the board to get rid of everyone. Did anything change from FM 15?

No changes in years.

It seems (but I'll check tonight) is the only variable in database that could affect the subject (or maybe rep too high/low?). But if everyone's saying it's a cyclical issues after 8 years, it should be something coded I haven't any access on.

@Jupjamie: you should also post the previous photo in the thread Makoto linked

41958316bc90f2d03f22440994caa7eb.png

Right, ok.

Ignore the stats, because this was a pretty even game for the most part. They had the better of the first half, but a superb Federico Berardi (YP135) goal put us 1-0 up, and we were over the moon. Unfortunately they struck at the worst time, equalising with seconds to spare before the HT whistle as Luca Stolfi spilled a shot over the line.

When Bernardi got a booking, I knew that he might get another, but I decided that he was playing well enough that it was worth the risk to leave him on. It wasn't, because he got sent off just five minutes later, and Wolfsburg began to dominate from there. We were holding them, but when Michele Tini (YP132) got a second yellow as well, there was no way nine of us were going to hold them off.

We played so well, but I'm really disappointed with how it ended. We've got no chance of going through, and with Tini and Bernardi out they could put five or six past us in Germany.

No changes in years.

It seems (but I'll check tonight) is the only variable in database that could affect the subject (or maybe rep too high/low?). But if everyone's saying it's a cyclical issues after 8 years, it should be something coded I haven't any access on.

@Jupjamie: you should also post the previous photo in the thread Makoto linked

Done, thank you :) It definitely seems like a coding issue.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Domination.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Federico Berardi (YP135) - 8.07

He's so good.

Top Goalscorer:

Federico Berardi (YP135) - 45

He's a special player.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Massimo Bernardi (YP142)

We have a new star in the centre of midfield.

Aims for next season:

Can we make the Europa Knockouts twice in a row?

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: We lost to Celtic in the Playoff.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Fiorentino lost 4-0 to Ujpest from Hungary, Libertas lost 3-2 to Albanians Laci and Folgore lost 2-1 to Koper from Slovenia.

San Marino National team:

2121 Results -- 2122 Results

Nice try, Wales.

54dd1db12139df41c87b0f5da4e18c8f.png

Our LM for over a decade, Felici retires with 313 games played, 61 goals, 94 assists, 24 MOTMs and a 7.69 average rating. He was good, but he was never great, and he's not quite up there in my mind as one of our crucial players of the past.

f17d64d7d38424748c1e97be2d5206c1.png

That's a great start to the group. We created far better chances than they did (it seems to be a common theme with our tactic - we have less shots but better chances) and a 2-1 win away is our just reward.

27599592433a82fa387192f15c72546c.png

Dnipro are the top seed, and I wasn't sure how good they'd be. They were good, but not superb, and on another day we could have so easily gotten a point.

So far in the group: Dnipro drew with BMG - but then BMG lost lost 2-1 to AFC Astra. That makes things very interesting indeed. If we beat BMG up next, we're in a great position.

5edce57c4217c3fb5951fc93bedd1338.png

This didn't deserve to be 4-1, but they were just more clinical. We have a real problem with missing penalties right now, too.

a86e41675d7a278333e2219abe268b98.png

It's a three way race for second, but that 4-1 really hurts us in our H2H against BMG. We're going to need to beat them in the rematch.

30ce3e55128107b8911f2d6d1fe67c8a.png

With our two starting strikers both missing with injury we were always going to struggle, and we're out. What annoys me is that we could have easily been doing so much better - with the 3-2 loss to BMG aside, we had a shot in every game.

Maybe the headline should be "San Giovanni out in EL after poor game against AFC Astra in rematch" because this match was nearly happy for the San Giovanni players. Is any small clubs have advanced beyond the Third Round in the Champions League and Europa League aside from San Giovanni?

As I believe that after a big mistake happened in the youth intakes, I wondered that when you see good intakes, you should have tagged 2.5* players, but in a bad intake, tagging a 2* potential player should take them below to the U19, so that would be safe in tagging youth prospects. Will you find a new HOYD, who has better coaching? Let's see who will be winners the Champions League and Europa League. And also, is BMG and Dnipro going ahead in the tournament while Dinamo going good in the Champions League, or maybe not?

As I believe that after a big mistake happened in the youth intakes, I wondered that when you see good intakes, you should have tagged 2.5* players, but in a bad intake, tagging a 2* potential player should take them below to the U19, so that would be safe in tagging youth prospects. Will you find a new HOYD, who has better coaching? Let's see who will be winners the Champions League and Europa League. And also, is BMG and Dnipro going ahead in the tournament while Dinamo going good in the Champions League, or maybe not?

2* players are so unlikely to ever become first teamers, and so I'll only tag them if they have decent starting stats, which these guys don't. I'm looking out for a new HOYD at every opportunity, but so far we can't afford anyone better.

I'll let you know how Europe goes once I've finished the season ;)

Absolutely brilliant thread! :applause:

Being the reader I love careers with struggle and hardship and the occasional YESSSSS every 45 years or so. :D I'm a little tired of Dinamo has to be said. :)

Thank you :D

We'll get revenge on Dinamo. One day...

How old is your manager?

He's 100. They just stop ageing at 100, otherwise I'd be about 130 :D

Disappointed by the last youth intake. I thought after the rise in reputation from San Marino and the league you were going to get better players.

We still haven't been able to improve our youth recruitment, which is the thing really holding us back.

Youth intake? More like they just rounded every schoolboy they could find :lol:

To be fair, that's basically all there is to choose from in San Marino :lol:

Archived