Place Shots or Shoot with Power?

Afternoon all,

Is there any concrete evidence to say that placing shots is more effective than shooting with power? There's been so many myths over the years that i'm a little confused. I've heard that teaching poor finishers to place shots might be more beneficial but i'm to particularly convinced. I tend to avoid these PPMs and let the strikers shoot however they prefer.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

If their technique is low then there is no point in teaching them to place shots. If strength is low then power shots are not going to be teachable.

There is also composure to take into account. A low rating in that can mean that they buckle under mental pressure and miss shots not due to skill but due to mental focus.

I use these PPMs for select players. I usually teach place shots to smaller, weaker finesse players and power shots to larger, stronger target men.

Also note that a combination of attributes and tactics can determine a players 'shot IQ'

i.e. from where he chooses to shoot from. Some skilled players are frustrating because they choose to shoot from poor angles or from far away. PPMs and tactics can help a bit with these players but ultimately you have to decide if they are worth keeping since they can waste your teams chances by shooting low % opportunities.

I had great mentors for one of my youngsters and they had one of each, so I compared with other players. (This was in FM14 by the way.)

I remember Ronaldo and Zlatan had shoot with power and believe Messi had place shots. There where others too but can't remember. So I didn't figure out if one was better than another so I went with the one with best personality / determination...

I've always looked at finishing, technique and composure. My big lump of a target man is someone I'd usually encourage to shoot with power (think Nikica Jelavic), whereas my skilful poacher type with higher finishing, composure and technique is someone I'd encourage to place shots (think Michael Owen).

Surely if a player had good finishing, technique and composure, both PPMs should be as good as each other. If Messi had either one of those PPMs, i'd expect him to score regardless. I'm also not convinced that having bad finishers 'shoot with power' is more effective either. They seem to regularly hoof the ball miles away from goal. I'd guess that both PPMs are equally effective.

It's clearly a personal taste thing.

I'm something of a dinosaur manager who prefers to play with two strikers, one a big lump, one a fox in the box. I like scrappy 1-0 wins, and don't mind if my meathead centre backs can't pass, or if my swashbuckling midfielder earns a booking for chopping down a waif-like teenage playmaker. I expect my target man type to drop deep, hold up the ball, provide simple link up play and be an effective aerial presence in the opposing area. I therefore compensate for his lack of technical ability by encouraging him to shoot with power, so if a loose ball is bobbling about in the penalty area he puts his laces through it without thinking about it. I encourage my more skilful attacker to place because l want to add precision to his finishing as he'll often be clear of the last man and one on one with the keeper.

I have also occasionally trained my lummox of a centre half to shoot with power. If he's going to be an attacling threat at corners, l find it beneficial for when a set piece delivery ends up bobbling in front of him from four yards out. I don't want him to think, and it can compensate for lack of technical ability. Not saying it's the right thing to do, just how l like to play it and has served me well.

Nothing better than seeing a striker hit a ball like he meant to kill it (think Alan Shearer, what a shot he had), I mean if you're a striker whats there to think about? Put the laces through it and take the net off the posts.:D

I do teach some of my wide players "Places Shot" as for me it seems they are quite effective with it when cutting inside. That said, I won't pass on a wide player who has "Shoot with Power" as their long shots (when it goes in after a million tries) is often bloody spectacular.

As Jeremy Clarkson says, "POOOWEEEERRRR":lol:

Shoots with Power has a hidden benefit, it seems to result in the keeper not holding a shot, creating an extra chance of someone scoring.

a finisher that get close to goal is prolly better with places shots, shoots with power seems quite helpful on players who shoots from future out.

Archived