[FM16-19] Worldwide Champions League

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@nersolone75: I'm honestly not sure why the crashes were happening, but I was getting them too and now I have some fixes that SEEM like they stop that first season crash. I'll update the OP (and the workshop if I can ever bloody figure out how) tomorrow once I've had some time to test them, but in the meantime I've attached them to this post in case some of you are feeling brave.

@Lewesrook: That's a neat idea, and it does work in 17's editor. I think the real problem is kind of inevitable - the competition is large enough that it's always going to take a lot of games to resolve.  I could set up 32 groups of 4 using that trick and and just have the winners advance - frankly with that many groups it's really just Your Bad Luck if you draw a megateam, better luck next year with your group stage payout. I'm actually kind of leaning this way except for that thing with the group names where groups 26-32 just end up as stage_name#1 - even switching to group numbers makes the problem worse since then it starts doing that at group 21 (even though you can set up to 26 in the editor without any XML edits).  Actually now that I think about it there is probably a way around this, I'll see if I can implement that.

Or I could have winners and second place, but then I'd need an extra knockout round and I'm not sure where I'd put it - either later in December (which is basically the playoff round over again) or maybe Jan/Feb?). Maybe I could just be a real jerk and parachute the CL 2nd place teams into an extra World League knockout round instead.

In any case, 32x4 would mean I'd need to restructure the qualifying rounds to qualify 128 teams to the CL instead of 96- or just add the extra 32 group stage teams as automatic qualifiers (which is something I wanted to look into ANYWAY) to reward league winners), then I could leave the qualifiers unchanged and leave the World League as its current 24 groups. 

WCL (test version)_8F878659-557B-43DA-AF75-4034BDEE471B.fmf

WCL (test no playoffs-24 groups)_78DD77C0-3DD4-4DD3-A177-ABECBA3BA9F4.fmf

I've updated to fix the crashes people were experiencing in 2017, and also restructured the tournaments to remove the December playoff rounds and start the qualifying rounds later in the summer. This should help with fixture congestion and also not conflict QUITE as much with the World Cup and other summer tournaments. I've also fixed some bugs with the draws in the qualifying rounds so they work as intended (if you are seeded into a later qualifying round, you should no longer be drawn against someone else who was seeded into the same round, but instead should always face someone who had advanced from the previous round.)

The new file is attached to the OP for now, I'll deal with Steam Workshop somehow when I get back from the pub tomorrow.

The CL now has 32 groups and only the winner advances.  The extra 32 group stage qualifiers required for this were assigned as automatic qualfiication spots to the winners of the top league in the top 32 countries as listed in the OP. Only one such automatic qualifier should be drawn into any one group.

The WL keeps its 24 groups (mostly because expanding it would require completely restructuring the qualifying rounds and I would rather shoot myself in the head), but now only the group winners and the top 8 second-place finishers advance.

Yeah, it seems like it only crashes if I run the Belgian league, and I even think I have an idea why (some weird incompatibility with the way SI set up Belgium's Euro place playoffs), I'm just not entirely sure what I can do about it. We'll see, but in the mean time we at least now how to avoid the crash (even if it's not ideal - I like the Belgian league! :( )

Hello @Dallan first of all thanks for keeping this data alive. Second, will this data work if I edit the Liga MX format (Mexican first division)? Liga MX format is two separate tournaments per year (apertura and clausura) each one with playoffs of the top 8 league table teams to determine the champions of each stage, in addition a domestic cup on each stage is played also, so theres 2 league champions and 2 domestic cup winners each year.

HERES THE TRICK, I always edit the Liga MX to make it more similar to the Premier League, one-year-long season with league tables finish, and a couple domestic cups. If I edit the Liga MX to a the Premiership style will mexican teams still be available for this Worldwide cups data? or will they be left out? If so, what changes to the data I have to make to make them available?   

Thanks for your effort and time ! 

@kkiingo: I THINK it should work just fine with your changes to Liga MX - the way it normally works is that my edit just says "we need this many teams to qualify from X country" and then leaves it to the country's rules to determine which ones. I don't think that custom rules for Mexico that just turn it into a single-table league should cause any problems.  

That said, I don't know for sure, you'd probably have to try it. Are you usiing the Advanced Rules to make your Liga MX changes? There's obviously more room for things to go pear-shaped there.

Dallan, you wouldnt object if I requested that the finals are moved to a Wednesday night and not a Saturday. It seams to clash with the final day on some leagues.

I would have the world league final first mid May then the champions league final a week later. 

Also I having clashes with the Autumn internationals -Sep-Nov where I keep getting group games clash with International fixtures. Is there a way round this headache.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2016 at 17:28, Lewesrook said:

Dallan, you wouldnt object if I requested that the finals are moved to a Wednesday night and not a Saturday. It seams to clash with the final day on some leagues.

I would have the world league final first mid May then the champions league final a week later. 

Also I having clashes with the Autumn internationals -Sep-Nov where I keep getting group games clash with International fixtures. Is there a way round this headache.

These two issues may have the same cause. I thought I'd gotten the scheduling to work around the September break in particular but I may have to tweak that again.

edit: here's another test version, I've moved the World League final to a Wednesday, mid-May, and moved the CL final to the last Sunday of the month. I've also added another fallback measure to try and make sure that it actually moves group stage days that conflict with the September and November international breaks (they are actually scheduled for a week afterward but for some reason the game keeps putting them in the break barring some really elaborate measures to convince it to do otherwise.)

Anyway. In testing they're scheduled properly. Let me know if this fixes the issues.

WCL (test version)_8F878659-557B-43DA-AF75-4034BDEE471B.fmf

• 2 weeks later...

I found a way to stop the game scheduling the dates wrong. 

Go into League Schedule - all groups -Click on the dates.

On each date go right to the far end and click the flag "Use High Continental Cup Priority" on all of them. You might have do it to them all(you will of course need to the same to World League). I also changed the dates to 2016/17 to make things easy to understand. If you want I can load my file for you to look at

Nah, that won't be necessary, I got what you were talking about and I've updated the release version (including on the Steam Workshop, since apparently we can now update files there again) to use that feature. Thanks for helping out with this!

• 1 month later...

Hey @Dallan Already tried this data it with a modified LIGA MX and it worked wonderfully, placing the top teams where they belong in the FIFA Club World Cup championship accurately, I even took the liberty to add an extra spot for this Mexican LIGA MX league and it was great. Tought one group stage game was overplaced in the same dates than a fifa intenational fixture so I had like 14 players called out to their national teams, everything else was magnific. 

Now, I tried to modify the save of this FIFA CWC to make a new Copa Libertadores de America including teams from every nation of the continent (CONCACAF and CONMEBOL all together) but frankly did just crap because nothing happened the way I was hoping it will, I just erased participating nations that werent american and then added a few more spots for american nations, tried also to modify the qualification stages so it matched with the new quantity of teams I was now having, but nothing happened probably because thats not the way it is done. So I imagined it was probably easier to make a new Copa Libertadores de America from a scratch data instead of modifying this one but I just dont know how .  So, if youre not that busy these days and youre willing to spear maybe a few dozen minutes with me Id like to ask for your help in this matter.

Would you be a good sport enough and share with me a brief explanation on how to do this new version of Copa Libertadores de America? I figure it is the same way this FIFA CWC data was done but I still cant put my finger on how exactly it is done. I dont need like details of every step just maybe a quick summary or Index of the steps I should perform because Im kinda lost. If youre willing to help thatll be great. If not thank you anyway for keeping the data alive. if it gets easier my mail is kkiingo@live.com I still be checking on this forum.

Regards.

Well, been spending some time with the editor, took a lot more time than I expected but finally got to figure things out.  

So I made this new version of Copa Libertadores de America including the 52 countrys of the American Continent. Did also my own version of the Club World Cup Championship including only the Champion team of the best 32 nations in the world all entering in a random seeding knockout round till a winner emerges (played mid Dec to mid Jan). Did also a new version of the Nations Copa America with the 16 best nations of the continent. This additional to my already edited Liga MX (turned in to a Mexican Premier League). I mashed all this editor data in one save and it ran perfectly.

Does anybody knows if its possible to edit a International World Cup Qualif. ? I want to merge Conmebol and Concacaf to have one big American continent World Cup Qualf. But not sure if its possible.

Hello, first off great job with this database.

I just wanted to ask a quick question about a bug/problem i'm facing when I tried your newest update that I got from the first post. I loaded the file with only the Premier League loaded for quick tests, and I noticed that almost all senior team players aren't being registered for the PL competition and are uneligible to play in the PL. So the clubs end up using youngsters every single game.

I haven't edited the PL at all, i'm just using the newest worldwide CL database.

Do you know what might be causing the issue and how can I fix it?

@Xtal1: That's a bug I've seen reported before, I THINK I have an idea what's causing it - I tried to add the Champions League squad rules to the WCL, and apparently not only do they not work but they mess up other things too in an unexpected way. Huh. 

@kkiingo: Sorry I didn't see your message, I'm honestly not on the forums much - especially not with the other games taking up my time! Glad to see that you managed to work it out, though.

I don't think it'll be easy to merge COMMEBOL and CONCACAF in the editor, unfortunately, but it might be possible. My guess is that you'd have to move the NA or SA nations into the other continent, (optinally rename whichever one you put them in "America" or "New World" or whatever),, then remake rules for the combined WCQ, the WC itself, the Confed Cup, and the combined continental tournaments to your liking, and even then I can't guarantee that it would work.

Which is a shame because that would be a mod I'd really enjoy playing, I just don't know precisely how to do it myself and I don't really have the time to trial-and-error it. Maybe if I'm lucky the confederations will do it themselves so SI have to do it! :p

I was hoping to not do another release until SI released the winter transfer update (I don't like restarting saves any more than the rest of you!) but if a bug like that is showing up then I guess I'll have to patch it. (honestly nothing like that was showing up for me, so sorry for releasing something that messed up that way.) I guess while I'm there I'll see if I can fix the issue with that one group stage fixture and the October internationals. Wish me luck!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've updated the custom DB for 18 and it appears to be working - bonus, it appears that custom fixture rules are now working so I could implement squad registration without breaking everyone's domestic leagues, so now you have a 25-man squad for the CL or WL, 4 homegrowns from the club required and 8 players have to be SOME kind of homegrown. Have fun!

One more change from the FM17 version - there are now 2 qualifiers from the CL group stage to knockouts, and 1 to the World League. This required me to add another CL knockout round, so the spring is now, hm, kind of crowded. I welcome feedback on how this works out for you.

Available on Steam Workshop for now, I'll update the OP to this thread more thoroughly when I've had time to actually play the game and/or get some sleep. One of the two.

Don't thank me yet, haha. Looks like the February 1st squad selection date may be misbehaving in a couple of ways, but I'll see if I can fix it quickly.

edit: okay, good, pushed a hotfix to the Workshop. I'll update the file in the OP shortly.

I mean, it would be POSSIBLE I think - you could create the file doing so. All you would need to do is remove all the blank rules entries in my file that overwrite and disable the existing club tournaments.

It would just be a scheduling nightmare to try and run this alongside the CL/Copa Lib/etc AND the domestic leagues, so I've never bothered to try it and see what would happen.

@Lewesrook: I did it on my personal DB edit for 17, but that's tied into a few other things such that it would be messy to pull it out. Let me see if I have a stray test version lying around.

@nersolone75:  Just to clarify, which February 1st problem are you having?

I fixed one where the tournament would schedule games before Feb 1st that you couldn't register anyone for, and one where the game would clear your squad between the group stages and knockouts and then, since you can only register three new players on the Feb 1st date, you'd be stuck.

the problem I've encountered is on registering players for the competition. in the sense that in early February the game clears the team record of the previous stage and only makes me join three players. however after the registration stage, if I click on the unregistered "nrg" icon, next to the player I open the team recording screen and I can register all the players regularly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@MAMRICCA: I used it with claassen's files last year, and it's usually been fine. If claasen does any weird things with continental qualification that don't use the standard system then there might be some issues but I'm not aware of any compatibility problems so far.

@nersolone75: Huh. I thought I fixed that. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

@apvmoreira:  Haha, I guess that was worth a try!

Honestly I haven't run into that bug in my test version, but maybe I didn't mirror all the changes over to release. I've updated Steam Workshop and the OP version with all the changes from test, let me know if February 1st is still a problem. (like all editor data files, you'll need to start a new game)

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2017 at 20:05, Dallan said:

@apvmoreira:  Haha, I guess that was worth a try!

Honestly I haven't run into that bug in my test version, but maybe I didn't mirror all the changes over to release. I've updated Steam Workshop and the OP version with all the changes from test, let me know if February 1st is still a problem. (like all editor data files, you'll need to start a new game)

Thanks but im a slow savegame player, only one save per year, so i will keep the bug and use FMRTE to solve the issue, although it bring a lot of unhappiness to the group...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, @bethevans! I actually use this with an alternate North American database myself (not that one, though) , so my guess is it'll be compatible. That file doesn't say anything about changing the CONCACAF Champions League. so my guess is it just does continental qualification through the single table and the Open Cup, which is something that should be fine with this.

• 5 months later...

Dallas, great work, been using your work since FM 17.  

One suggestion, given the China League status, shouldnt they share the same spots with Japan and South Korea?  

Can you update one file replace e.g Ecuador,  with China? 

Appreciate

• 1 month later...

If (let's be honest: when) I buy FM19 I'll update this mod for it (it's really rather crucial to my enjoyment of the game at this point, and once I've done it for myself there's no point not releasing it) so no worries there.

As for your question about shifting China's place in the qualifying order, you actually have a good point. I originally ordered countries by national reputation because it's easier in the editor UI, but a better measure (since this is basically the same thing UEFA coefficient does in reality, and that's league-based) would probably be league reputation, which would place China a fair bit higher.

Changing it would be a bit time-consuming so I'll try and do it as part of the FM19 update.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have a version working with 19 (well, mostly working - the Youth League doesn't work for some reason and since 19's editor isn't out I can't determine why or fix it until release). 

To use it, download the file attached to the OP and place it in your FM19 editor data folder (the beta won't load FMF editor files from 18 but will load XML ones), then start a new save.

(NOTE: it may take a long time to load the first career mode screen from the main menu once you've placed the XML file in the directory. This is normal, just wait.)

I would encourage you not to submit bug reports to SI while using it (especially if it's anything related to scheduling or to continental competitions in general), but otherwise, have fun! Let me know if there are any other bugs using it with 19.

Main changes from the last-released 18 version

(I will eventually update the 18 version with them as well, and any other changes I make using the 18 editor, but don't expect any more changes to 18 once 19 releases). This test file will also work with 18 if you place it in 18's editor data folder):

-various bugs relating to scheduling group stage games have been fixed. Hopefully for real this time.

-the winners of the Champions League and World League now automatically qualify for the following year's Champions League group stage.

-the countries that get more than 2 spots in Champions League qualifying have been rearranged as follows (roughly based on league reputation, though honestly I'm probably going to tweak it a bit before release, a few countries seem out of place to me)

1 automatic group stage place, 3 places in 4th QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 3rd QR, 1 place in 2nd QR:

Spain, Germany, England, Italy, France, Brazil, Russia, Portugal, Argentina,

1 automatic group stage place, 2 places in 4th QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 3rd QR, 1 place in 2nd QR:

Ukraine, Mexico, Belgium, Turkey, Czechia,  Switzerland, Netherlands, Greece, USA, Austria, Croatia, Chile, Denmark, Colombia, Paraguay, Poland, Sweden, Israel, South Korea, Japan, China.

2 places in 4th QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 3rd QR, 1 place in 2nd QR:

Uruguay, Scotland

1 place in 4th QR, 1 place in 3rd QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 2nd QR:

Romania, Belarus, Ecuador, Cyprus, Norway, Ivory Coast, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Peru, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, South Africa, Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Slovenia, Tunisia, Slovakia, Qatar, UAE, Moldova, Hungary,

1 place in 3rd QR, 1 place and the cup winner in 2nd QR:

Honduras, Algeria, Iceland, Morocco, Australia, Canada, Bosnia, Nigeria, Ghana

Every other FIFA member country starts in the 1st QR, with one or two spots:

Countries that are playable in the base game that start here include: 

2 spots (league and cup champion): Finland, Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, India

1 spot (league champion only): Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore

I remember in Fm18, the qualifying round playoff 2nd leg, some matches were played on 30 Aug and some teams are affected, with half of the team called up by the international national teams as some of the World Cup qualifying (Europe) were played on 31 Aug.  

I wonder if there will be similar situations in Fm 19?  

I hope not, but let me know if they are.

edit: they still do, actually, but I've updated the test file to fix that by shifting the schedule date for the qualifying round playoffs forward a week, so it SHOULD complete before the start of that international break.

I've also changed the rankings of countries for qualifying spots - switching Argentina into the top group and Ukraine into the second, and switching South Korea, Japan, and China into the second group (so they now get an automatic group stage spot) instead of Romania, Belarus, and Ecuador.

Of course, you'll need to re-download the test file from the top post and start a new save.

Archived