FM16: Glasgow Celtic - The Celtic Way

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Restarted the game when it released at first. First thing i done was change my coaching staff around.

Staff out:

John Collins

Ian Coll

John Kennedy

Chris McCart

Bard Ove Homstol

Stevie Woods

Tim Williamson

Gavin McCarthy

Staff in:

Tom Freddy Aune - Assistant Manager - 3.5 star attacking coach

Huw Jennings - Head of Youth Development

Ludek Miklosko - Goalkeeping Coach - 4 star goalkeeping coach

Franck Raviot - Goalkeeping Coach - 4 star goalkeeping coach

Werner Leuthard - Fitness Coach - 4.5 star fitness coach

Jan Wouters - Coach - 4 star tactics coach

Juanvi Peinado - Coach - 4 star technical coach

Siep Hoekstra - Coach - 4.5 star fitness coach

Per Bastholt - Physio

David Fevre - Head Physio

I opted for Aune as assistant manager, as I like my Assistants to be able to give me good reports on my youth intake and my scout reports. Danny McGrain 4.5 star defending coach and myself a 4.5 star technical coach.

Transfers in:

Jordan Larsson - 500k ( loan back end of the season )

Andrija Zivkovic - 1.8 million over 12 months plus 1.2 million agent fee upfront

Transfers out:

Jordan Larsson - Loan back

Emilio Izaguirre - 2.2 million

Happy with these small transfers, as I get two phenomenal young players for almost pennies and also sell on an average player for a decent fee, will rotate tierney and blackett at leftback then buy a new leftback either in january or in the summer.

I do want to bolster the defence, I will look at bringing in an experienced centreback and also a leftback, then bolster the centre of the park with youth and a young goalkeeper to eventually replace Gordon.

Just about to start as Celtic in England. Have put us in the Championship, replacing MK Dons. Only thing left to do is decide whether or not I should change budgets/attendances etc. Thinking of leaving the transfer budget at 2M since the board seem pretty carefree when it comes to increasing it in Jan. Tempted to up the wage budget by 100k though to put us in line with the likes of Cardiff and QPR, that seems fair right? Then thinking of increasing attendances by 5-10k as I'd imagine they'd be higher if we were in a competitive league.

Have stuck The Rangers in League 1. Tempted to give them a rich owner to see how they do. Reckon I should add any rivals for Celtic? Anyone other than Chelsea that would be obvious candidates?

Edit: And long time no see McGougan33, I've not been in GPTG for maybe 3-4 years. :D What star ratings are the coaches you brought in? HATE searching for coaches.

Just about to start as Celtic in England. Have put us in the Championship, replacing MK Dons. Only thing left to do is decide whether or not I should change budgets/attendances etc. Thinking of leaving the transfer budget at 2M since the board seem pretty carefree when it comes to increasing it in Jan. Tempted to up the wage budget by 100k though to put us in line with the likes of Cardiff and QPR, that seems fair right? Then thinking of increasing attendances by 5-10k as I'd imagine they'd be higher if we were in a competitive league.

Have stuck The Rangers in League 1. Tempted to give them a rich owner to see how they do. Reckon I should add any rivals for Celtic? Anyone other than Chelsea that would be obvious candidates?

Edit: And long time no see McGougan33, I've not been in GPTG for maybe 3-4 years. :D What star ratings are the coaches you brought in? HATE searching for coaches.

I would start with it as it is just now, give yourself a proper challenge that way, You can easily find good players for that division and the club with the budgets currently, Zivkovic is a stoater of a buy!

Add united in, its a rivalry we had in europe on a much smaller scale, battle of britain remember?

Yeah good seeing you mate, life takes over doesnt it! I will update the above post as I brought in some good transfers also

Playing 4-2-3-1 again, but tweaked my tactic slightly.

8 competitive games played, 7 wins and 1 draw, 29 goals scored and 6 against, if I can keep up the 3 goal a game average then I should be in for a really good season ahead, the team are playing some nice football that I did not quite get in the beta, the counter attack especially looks dangerous!

Zivkovic with a goal and 2 assists and a 9.4 Man of the Match performance on his debut was a thing of beauty to watch.

Yeah after loading it up to holiday the season and make sure I haven't ****ed anything up I don't think I'll be touching the budgets, players values are like double what the where in Scotland without me touching anything like that. Time to get selling. :D

Good shout on United, will add Chelsea as a fierce rival and United as a lesser one. Have gave Rangers a 'foreground' sugar daddy, wonder how long it'll take them to climb the divisions.

Edit: Zivkovic is awesome. Just need to make sure I don't make the same mistake I did in the beta by giving him a contract with a stupidly low release clause. Sobhy and Gamal also must buys. Oh and Rossbach on a pre contract is perfect for back up/future replacement for Gordon. Missed out an Sviatchenko, Ajer and Fossum in the beta so gonna make sure I move early this time and offer a bit more than the want.

Yeah after loading it up to holiday the season and make sure I haven't ****ed anything up I don't think I'll be touching the budgets, players values are like double what the where in Scotland without me touching anything like that. Time to get selling. :D

Good shout on United, will add Chelsea as a fierce rival and United as a lesser one. Have gave Rangers a 'foreground' sugar daddy, wonder how long it'll take them to climb the divisions.

Edit: Zivkovic is awesome. Just need to make sure I don't make the same mistake I did in the beta by giving him a contract with a stupidly low release clause. Sobhy and Gamal also must buys. Oh and Rossbach on a pre contract is perfect for back up/future replacement for Gordon. Missed out an Sviatchenko, Ajer and Fossum in the beta so gonna make sure I move early this time and offer a bit more than the want.

That annoys me because the championship is the same level as the spfl, although admittedly they have more better quality teams than the spfl.

Yeah united was a good one, was thinking liverpool also, but we have that sort of connection with them so no point in that! Should take them maybe 3-4 seasons to make it to the premiership then, providing the AI doesnt spend stupidly.

Zivkovic was incredible in the beta, im hoping it stays true in the main game, which I think it must do, as Madrid came in for him at the same time I did. Cant find sobhy and gamal is the striker? Rossbach went to Everton instead of me on a pre contract, was gutted! Dont need Sviatchenko, I am going to sign Wahlqvist instead, and also looking at buying and retraining Gideon Jung as a CB. Fossum has been transfer listed, but I am out of budget atm, which is frustrating as he could have been trained in the bwm role under Browns tutelage.

Yeah Gamal's the striker, signing him in Jan on the beta for 250k and his value shot up to 3M instantly. Was a really good replacement for Ciftci who I sold for 4M. Wahlqvist looks good, will stick him on the shortlist. Will check out Jung in a bit.

Holidayed a season there, for some reason we still played in the Scottish Cup and League Cup first season. Second season they seem to be gone though so not sure whats happened there.

Yeah Gamal's the striker, signing him in Jan on the beta for 250k and his value shot up to 3M instantly. Was a really good replacement for Ciftci who I sold for 4M. Wahlqvist looks good, will stick him on the shortlist. Will check out Jung in a bit.

Holidayed a season there, for some reason we still played in the Scottish Cup and League Cup first season. Second season they seem to be gone though so not sure whats happened there.

Did you replace Mk Dons in the SPFL? I think its something to do with the domestic cup option and the league position finished last year.

Yeah man, just swapped Celtic with MK Dons and Rangers with Newport Co (L2), then switched Rangers with a L1 side. Then changed 'nation' and 'Continental Cup Nation' to the countries they moved to, left 'based nation' untouched. MK Dons and Newport didn't have any cup fixtures during 15/16. We played in both English/Scottish domestic cups as did Rangers, who also had the Challenge Cup. :D

Holidayed a good bit into 16/17 and it seems to have sorted itself out properly. Us and Rangers only playing in English domestic cups and MK Dons/Newport playing in Scottish domestic cups.

We won the Scottish Cup in the first season and didn't get a European spot and MK Dons played CL qualifiers at the start of the 16/17 so at least the continental side of things was set up right.

Yeah man, just swapped Celtic with MK Dons and Rangers with Newport Co (L2), then switched Rangers with a L1 side. Then changed 'nation' and 'Continental Cup Nation' to the countries they moved to, left 'based nation' untouched. MK Dons and Newport didn't have any cup fixtures during 15/16. We played in both English/Scottish domestic cups as did Rangers, who also had the Challenge Cup. :D

Holidayed a good bit into 16/17 and it seems to have sorted itself out properly. Us and Rangers only playing in English domestic cups and MK Dons/Newport playing in Scottish domestic cups.

We won the Scottish Cup in the first season and didn't get a European spot and MK Dons played CL qualifiers at the start of the 16/17 so at least the continental side of things was set up right.

Thats why, you need to change the based nations, even though its fixed now, if you wanted to from the start thats what you would have to do.

Thats why, you need to change the based nations, even though its fixed now, if you wanted to from the start thats what you would have to do.

Would that not then change the nationality of your regens? From Scottish to English, I presume (I've never tried it) that changing based nation changes based city too?

I've made my own little league set up for Scotland if anyone is interested. I haven't changed a lot, I've sorted the Scottish teams into three leagues of 16/16/10 based purely on reputation. Scrapped the league cup and given a very slight increase to the Scottish Cup prize money. All reputations are still the same, with the third tier sides gaining from the lack of a fourth tier so that should help them. Retained the U20's league but put more focus on homegrown rules, and I've added a winter break over Christmas.

I've been at it all morning I'm itching to get playing now but I've still got facepacks downloading, there's so much stuff to sort out!!

Oh I don't believe this, somehow the file above says zero database changes despite me getting it working!

Hopefully this link works, I've really no idea how to share things or make them searchable on steam workshop!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=555546424

I've had to do it again but it's the same description as above, just as a bit of fun though I've taken out prize money by position and done it the Turkish way of per win or draw. No silly money though.

I may try that in a bit mate, but im enjoying this for now, so going to plod on.

I got the group of death in the Champions League, here is how it panned out.

Arsenal 13 points

Barcelona 11 points

Celtic 6 points

Olympique Lyonnais 2 points

I got horsed 4-0 at home in the first game off Arsenal, seemed a freak result as I was fairly in control of the match, and just got countered superbly. Barcelona then beat us 2-1 away, next up was Lyon and I expected another beating, however pleasantly at home we won the match 1-0.

Lyon up again, and another nice surprise the match ended up 1-1 even though I was down to 9 men! A 0-0 draw away at Arsenal and a 1-1 draw at home to Barca finished the group off, and I dropped into the europa league where fairly soon I have a tie against Borussia Moenchengladbach in the first knockout round, if I can make the quarters I will be ecstatic but realistically I feel as though we are too far off as a team to mount any sort of decent challenge in europe.

Still in all competitions, although after the european matches, my form dipped drastically and a series of strange draws and losses meant Partick Thistle overtook me in the table by 4 points. I added one more instruction onto my tactic and since then I have won the next 3 games scoring 9 and conceeding 0, I hope this will end the slump of form and build up a good run of steam going into the Gladbach match.

Come november/december the board gave me a budget of 15 mil to spend, to which I happily oblidged.

January Window

Transfers in:

Tonny Trindade de Vilhena - 220k (Absolute bargain, no idea how I managed it, was pissed last night when I arranged the transfer )

Brendan Galloway - 8.75 mil

Bartlomiej Dragowski - 4 mil

Transfers out:

Eoghan O`Conell - Hearts (loan)

Jordan Larsson - Boavista (loan)

Happy that my youth have went out on loan and will hopefully get some regular first team action, the Galloway purchase was steep, very actually but I wanted a class cb that had youth on his side and had plenty of resale value, Dragowski I only found today as barca were after him, for a young goalkeeper looks like he will have bags of potential.

Not a problem, people will play the game how they want to. I've wanted a 30 game season for a long time now and I thought I'd share it just in-case anyone else fancied it.

Good signings there, burning the cash! The SPL should be a cakewalk with those types of players now surely? The challenge is Europe, and third place in that group is a very good achievement. Who have you drawn in the Europa?

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm half hoping that I only get to the Europa League first year, some of the groups drawn in the CL have been horrific.

Not a problem, people will play the game how they want to. I've wanted a 30 game season for a long time now and I thought I'd share it just in-case anyone else fancied it.

Good signings there, burning the cash! The SPL should be a cakewalk with those types of players now surely? The challenge is Europe, and third place in that group is a very good achievement. Who have you drawn in the Europa?

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm half hoping that I only get to the Europa League first year, some of the groups drawn in the CL have been horrific.

The spl is far from a cakewalk, for some reason after the CL group stages, my players have went missing, and some of my tactical instructions seem to have stopped working, I cant figure it out!!! Im a point behind partick thistle with 9 games left, so you can see why I think something isnt quite right!

I got Borussia, and they put me out 2-1 on aggregrate due to my lacklustre/tactical problems.

Really irritated with it just now, my get stuck in more instruction seems to not work at all, as my players are standing off way too much, even though I have close down more on also.

havent had much chance to play since the full release, but started my new game and so far made the following signings in & out;

in – rossbach (24k), hinteregger (4m), zivkovic (850k), mihalcea (300k), hou saeter (250k), lewicki (1.2m), prince larsson (400k), Christie (recalled from loan)

out – stokes (1.5m), mulgrew (2.5m), blackett (loan terminated), commons (1m)

hinteregger is a great BPD and is probably the highest profile signing, quite lucky to get him I think. zivkovic is looking just as good as he did in the beta, and managed to get him without a buyout clause so should hopefully be able to keep him for more than a season this time. rossbach and hou seater are for development but should be pushing for first team positions in season 2. I loaned prince back for the season as part of the deal to sign him but will probably replace cole in season 2. decided to go for lewicki over fossum this time, fossum is the better player (at least potential wise) but I needed a true DM capable of playing a DM role comfortably and lewicki fitted the role better (plus ive got malmo in the CL playoff so ive severely weakened them ahead of our revenge). mihalcea is looking like he could be a great wee player, tried to get him in the beta but he didn’t want to even talk to me so this time I buttered him up a bit beforehand and guaranteed him a role in the first team (despite being 16). scored on his debut and will easily play 20+ games this season, a left sided zivkovic.

ive got a 4-1-2-3 formation going on with a barca tiki-taka style. averaging 3 goals a game so far and it if it works against malmo then I might take it in to the group stages and just stick to my philosophy. looking to shift johansen as he doesn’t really fit any of the roles ive got in my formation and I don’t really need him, swansea are interested but only willing to offer about 3m. hoping to shift ambrose too and bring in a young BPD as backup to hinteregger (any suggestions?), but may have to keep him for the season.

Almost finished my first season. After 31 games I'm ONLY 2 points clear of ICT. We had a shocker over November/December dropping 14 points, however since then we have only dropped 5. ICT seem to keep winning so the post-split fixture with them will be key as were yet to beat them this season.

I just wrapped up the League Cup with a win over Hearts in the final and face Rangers in the semi of the Scottish Cup. In Europe we came back from a 4-1 away dead to Maribor beating them 5-0 at home to reach the groups. Got Madrid, Lazio and Zenit in the group however only managed 2 points, I was actually pretty hopeful of the group. Could be a blessing in disguise as my focus is on the league now.

Transfers: January

In: Kristoffer Ajer £1.5M, Mo Elyounoussi £1.6M, Christie recalled

Out: Stokes £2M, 5 loaned out

Transfers: Pending

In: Zivkovic £750k (+£400k agent buy out)

I've been playing a 451/4141 asymmetric system but in the summer will look to switch to a 433 when I have the right players to fit the system.

OfdjsGv.png

Almost finished my first season. After 31 games I'm ONLY 2 points clear of ICT. We had a shocker over November/December dropping 14 points, however since then we have only dropped 5. ICT seem to keep winning so the post-split fixture with them will be key as were yet to beat them this season.

I just wrapped up the League Cup with a win over Hearts in the final and face Rangers in the semi of the Scottish Cup. In Europe we came back from a 4-1 away dead to Maribor beating them 5-0 at home to reach the groups. Got Madrid, Lazio and Zenit in the group however only managed 2 points, I was actually pretty hopeful of the group. Could be a blessing in disguise as my focus is on the league now.

Transfers: January

In: Kristoffer Ajer £1.5M, Mo Elyounoussi £1.6M, Christie recalled

Out: Stokes £2M, 5 loaned out

Transfers: Pending

In: Zivkovic £750k (+£400k agent buy out)

I've been playing a 451/4141 asymmetric system but in the summer will look to switch to a 433 when I have the right players to fit the system.

OfdjsGv.png

Nice job there with the spreadsheet! It seems like the spfl is more competitive this year definitely.

End of Season Update:

Let me start by saying this will be brief.

It was a very mixed season for us, the league was far tighter than it should have been, and my performances were lacklustre in the least, due to the sheer quality of my players though we managed to pull off a double, with the league cup and championship somehow limping over the line.

Ladbrokes Premiership:

P W D L GF GA GD PTS

38 18 15 5 68 31 37 69 - Celtic

38 18 12 8 51 41 10 66 - Partick Thistle

So as you can see it really came down to the last game, which I drew 0-0 with Aberdeen and Partick Thistle won 2-1, luckily for me I had won the 2 previous games, and they had lost the 2 previous games, ensuring a nervy finish to the season.

Scottish League Cup:

Celtic 1-0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle, scrappy game and I was not confident in winning it, considering caley had just dumped me out the Scottish Cup 3-1 the very match before.

Europa League:

Celtic 1 - 2 Borussia Moenchengladbach aggregate loss, first knockout round. Again lacklustre and exposed defensive frailties far too easily.

So I have taken my first season in charge at Paradise very much as a learning curve, I have revisited my tactic board in order to try and shore up defensive exposures and provide all round better shape. I was happy with the way my team attacked the season before, however I hope that the way I have changed my tactic will retain this but shore up any weaknesses.

The clubs finances, have ended up atrocious as opposed to the beta with the same level of spending, so I will need to retain players and shore up spending for the season to build cash to progress potentially next season.

I am hoping to build cash in order to boost the training and youth facilities as I could not do that this season, I am excited for the season ahead and hope we can build on last season.

Double is a double, and Euro Footy after Christmas is always great. Just need to work on that elusive Scottish Cup and make the league less nervy!!

Sean1967, loving that spreadsheet mate, I love having my squad all worked out who's going to play when and how I can trim and prune it over the next season or two haha.

Double is a double, and Euro Footy after Christmas is always great. Just need to work on that elusive Scottish Cup and make the league less nervy!!

Sean1967, loving that spreadsheet mate, I love having my squad all worked out who's going to play when and how I can trim and prune it over the next season or two haha.

True, I am really struggling with the tactics in this full game, the team is just not full adhering to the instructions I am giving them, for example I am playing a low tempo, passing 4-2-3-1 just now with narrow width, and they quite simply are not playing narrow, anyone else having tactical issues? Or am I just being crap

First season update for me.

Won the league on 79 points, like everyone else it ran close and it was only really once I had no European football I could really kick on.

Knocked out of the league cup in 3rd round. Played youngsters and was punished.

Came 3rd in champions league group, finished on 10 points but 3rd on goal difference. Gutted.

Knocked out first round Europa by Sevilla on away goals.

Won Scottish Cup.

Will post full transfer screenshot at some point, but re-signed Virgil for £7m in January, along with Hooper for £2m.

Also tempted to sell Griffiths if someone will stump up the cash, got me 34 goals as main striker but that low composure keeps playing on my mind!

Yeah so gave up trying to remove Celtic from playing both Scottish/English domestic cups in season one, sorts itself out season two anyway. Ended up starting again with the editor so Celtic/Rangers now switched with Newport Co and Wrexham. Still Championship and League 1 respectively. Uploaded it in case anyone else wants to give it a go -

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4dlcch16uvwx2fn/Celtic+and+Rangers+in+England_4890C8B8-03FB-4118-881C-691CEE4C8358.fmf

Finally ready to start. \o/

Is Jack Leitch worth signing for the 'Tic? I need rotation/cover for my butchers in the midfield (I play 4-3-1-2 often). Also, I could use with a DM (position) player, can be old, but needs to be reliable. The plan is to conjure a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic.

lewicki at malmo looks to have the makings of a good DM for us. signed him for about 1.4m but could probably be gotten for 1m

Ok guys so this explains alot of the goals I am conceeding and why the league is so difficult.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/440965-Unnecessary-Decisions-to-Double-Mark-Leaves-Acres-of-Space-Generally-Wonky-Defensive-Shape

Is there any way to avoid this insane pressing bug? I've played some pre-season games, and things do not look promising.

Is there any way to avoid this insane pressing bug? I've played some pre-season games, and things do not look promising.

Instead of going flexible or higher, going structured or very structured seems to help alot, dont go very structured if you want to play good attacking football though.

Pre season games are not a good indicator of your tactic to be fair, competitive games are when its fluid

Instead of going flexible or higher, going structured or very structured seems to help alot, dont go very structured if you want to play good attacking football though.

Pre season games are not a good indicator of your tactic to be fair, competitive games are when its fluid

Thanks. One of my tactics (the more attacking 4-3-1-2) is set to Flexible. TBH, it could just be the starting defenders. Terrorist bombscares, mostly. And I can't even find a buyer for Ambrose.

My 4-1-3-2 defensive set up has lasted roughly 30 minutes into pre-season over two games against Benfica. The first time I was really defensive and I was two down in twenty minutes. I then restarted to try something new, less defensive but still in that ilk, I was two down in ten minutes! Back to the drawing board! I'm now rethinking my entire approach into more of a total football set up which is my favoured way of playing FM and the type of football that I most like to see. Any ideas on how to tweak it for the big CL nights? How are you guys setting up against better teams?

My 4-1-3-2 defensive set up has lasted roughly 30 minutes into pre-season over two games against Benfica. The first time I was really defensive and I was two down in twenty minutes. I then restarted to try something new, less defensive but still in that ilk, I was two down in ten minutes! Back to the drawing board! I'm now rethinking my entire approach into more of a total football set up which is my favoured way of playing FM and the type of football that I most like to see. Any ideas on how to tweak it for the big CL nights? How are you guys setting up against better teams?

So I dropped into a 4-4-1-1 with a wide playmaker and a winger, and changed it to standard with a structured mentality, defended a lot better and still has good attacking movement, 3 clean sheets in a row, and 6 goals scored, all 2-0 wins. I won the league after I changed to that, it dramatically sorted things out for me, so hoping its a lasting effect.

Yeah so gave up trying to remove Celtic from playing both Scottish/English domestic cups in season one, sorts itself out season two anyway. Ended up starting again with the editor so Celtic/Rangers now switched with Newport Co and Wrexham. Still Championship and League 1 respectively. Uploaded it in case anyone else wants to give it a go -

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4dlcch16uvwx2fn/Celtic+and+Rangers+in+England_4890C8B8-03FB-4118-881C-691CEE4C8358.fmf

Finally ready to start. \o/

did you remember to adjust the ticket and season ticket money so they would match EPL prices? if not you will be missing a fair amount of money compared to other EPL teams

Archived