The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, vikeologist said:

@pug 407 I don't think the CD has any effect on the bug, because when you install it the game should just install the latest version and update accordingly. if you've started on 17.3, you're unlikely to get the Copa Lib bug, though some have claimed that they still get it. I just hope it's fixed next year, but I no longer have any faith in SI. If I'm able to get the beta, I plan to try very hard in the first couple of weeks to trigger the bug, so that they can fix it asap if necessary, though I've noticed that SI no longer bother responding to these type of bug reports for FM17.

I Started Mine Before The Update, So My Saved Game Is Still On The Originally.

@vikeologist Well, I do think it would be easier for me to start out with a club, have it promoted to the top division in that country, win that division and the continental competition there, rather than starting out with the club and leaving a couple years later. Obviously, this could be one the reasons why I got bored at China.

Chinese football was really boring to be honest, all clubs playing the same brand of football. At least that was what I observed in FM 2016.

Jezzar's Ultimate Football Manager Adventure

2016/2017
l69USCB.jpg

BALTIKA KALININGRAD - RUSSIAN FIRST DIVISION
Manager Profile

Giving this challenge another go after my last attempt was brutally murdered by Chinese Football. After spending about 3 months unemployed, Baltika Kaliningrad of the Russian First Division approached me, and I was happy to take on the job. Exactly halfway through the season, Baltika is 18th out of 20 teams. A quick look at the team report shows that we are really lacking in midfield quality and depth. Team defense seems to be in good shape as the team conceded just 19 goals in 19 games (only managed to score 13 though). Looks like my first task will be to figure out how to actually score goals with this bunch!

[b]CLUB CAREER

Season        Club                     Pos          Domestic Cup/s          Continental Cup/s         Notes & Achievements[/b]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17       Baltika Kaliningrad      N/A          N/A                     N/A                       Took over in 18th with 19 games remaining.

[b]INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Year     Nation           Competitions                                      Notes & Achievements[/b]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge Progress

Club
0/10 top domestic leagues 
0/10 domestic cups 
0/5  club continental championships
0/1  club world championship

International
0/5  continental tournaments 
0/2  world tournaments

2021 - Thanda Royal Zulu Update

zthanda.thumb.jpg.349bec9e0c1f426bb834c558a6669b97.jpg

Some of you may wonder why I am doing a mid-season update, well I'm sure if you think hard enough you will realise but here we go!

2021 African Champions League

In the group stage we struggled, rather surprisingly to be honest, we had to win our final match to qualify and that we did, this finished us top of the group

Onto the semi-finals where we met Es Setif (Algeria), a tough ask and both legs were very cagey, both ending 0-0 which meant it went to penalties, somehow we scraped through winning the shootout

So to the final where we met fellow South African side Wits! The first leg went was away and went very well, the game ended 2-1 to us, in the home leg we somehow managed to lose the game 1-0 but it wasn't enough for Wits, the 2 away goals we got in the 1st leg had won it for us and we are champions of Africa!!

1.thumb.png.4836313eebb35d9dc0c8a5661960526d.png

We have eventually done it, its taken 4 years of hard graft to win everything, a lot quicker than I imagined but I guess it shows you how poor Africa is and how easy it is to win!

It's now time to leave Thanda and South Africa and move on to pastures new, North America or Asia is my destination, with my rep at 65% and already having my Continental A Licence I feel like I should get a pretty decent job

Season   Team    Position  Notes and Achievements
17/18	Thanda Royal Zulu	1st	South African 1st Division Champs
18/19	Thanda Royal Zulu	1st	South African Premier Division Champs
19/20	Thanda Royal Zulu	2nd SA Knockout Cup and Super 8 Winner
21		Thanda Royal Zulu	African Champions League Winners

Challenge Progress

Club

1/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2019)

1/10 domestic cups (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2020)

1/5 club continental championships (Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2021)

0/1 club world championship

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments ()

On 22.6.2017 at 04:29, vikeologist said:

@yugular Splendid international success, so it will be interesting to see if you can get one of the jobs you've applied for. I'd be surprised if you didn't.

@vikeologist I didn't get Leverkusen nor Boca Juniors, but I stumbled upon a chance to gain some easy silverware. More on that in my next post once the season is over.

Also! Congrats to @Cheekybananafm now to different continent!

A new club!

Well it's literally taken 6 weeks since I left Thanda and my god have I fell on my feet!

Shanggang in the CSL is the club, the CSL season has just finished and they sacked their boos for coming 3rd! My rep is obviously really good and they have offered me a job with a transfer budget of £25m! They are predicted to end 1st so hopefully I won't be here long. Get the CSL, Cup and Asian CL won as quick as possible

ShanghaiEastAsia.png.196a6f33cfc05a4b00b7d1aab94d7b0b.png

rostov.png.02d87e4232a438f88dcb3e7ddd137cac.png    england.jpg.09d3f331b8d989e6447dfc2d913ba3c9.jpg

Season 21 – 2038/39 – Rostov / England

Season Review

Long time out, but I am still doing this challenge, and even managed to complete a full club season for another update. Here I was, after the bittersweet World Cup campaign with England, trying to win the second-to-last cup (and the last one I need outside of Spain) in Russia with Rostov.

The team was strong for the league, finishing 2nd and 1st in the previous two seasons. I strengthened in the summer, mainly at full-back, but it was a bit harder than usual because I’ve not had a club job for a while, so no recent scout reports or players on the shortlist. In any case, I managed to sign one Russian youth prodigy and a smorgasbord of more experienced players for a grand total of £40 million.

The season was very pleasant, just 30 league games meant it wasn’t a drag (i.e. the opposite of Brazil), and I could put my focus on the cup. The toughest game came in the semis, as we were drawn away to Zenit, but we came through thanks to a solitary 90th minute goal from my “youth prodigy” signing Tretjakov. The final was an easier 2-0 win against Anji, and it was job done after one season :) We also won the league very comfortably and went to the semis of the Europa league (after losing to Bayern in the Champions League play-off – what were they doing there?)

League | Cup

Player review

Top scorer, top assists, top avg. rating – Zebenzui Sanchez, 28 goals and 15 assists in 32(12) apps, rating 7.71.

One man to rule them all – this newly-naturalised Russian was the standout performer in this well-balanced team.

International

Nothing of note, other than that we beat Germany twice in the European League thingy… If only the lads could have done this a few months earlier in the World Cup final!

Manager progress

80% rep

What’s next

Going to try and get that club job in Spain, finally. I was overlooked for the dream job at Atletico Madrid, and Barca + Real are utterly dominant and not considering sacking their managers. Might have a pop at the Las Palmas job, they're a very solid upper-midtable team with good finances in the save, and it would be a bit boring to wait for the bigger teams at this point.

Challenge XI

GK: Lee Ki-Ho (Jeonnam, South Korea)

DR: Lars Schaefer (Dortmund)

DC: Nicolas Reimann (Dortmund)

DC: Davide Ditomasso (Marseille)

DL: Dirk Jan Büttner (Napoli)

MC: Thomas Devos (Dortmund)

MC: Yasar Cetin (Marseille)

MC: Junior (Liverpool)

ST: Pedro Filipe (Marseille)

ST: Miguel “The Man” Rodriguez (Club America)

ST: “Bruce” Lee-Sang Joon (Jeonnam, South Korea)

Subs: Guillermo Vendakis (Marseille), Marcos Rogerio (AMC/ST, Fluminese), Luis Osorio (MC, Club America), Abdul Diaby (AMLC/ST, Napoli/Ivory Coast), Patrick Besse (DC, Liverpool), Remy Declerck (DL, Marseille), Lewis Clarke (GK, Liverpool)

Club Career:

Season     |   Team                |       Division      |   League  |        Cups          |   Notes & Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    |   Accrington          |  League 2 (ENG)     |   4       |        n/a           |   Took over in December (team in 20th), lost on penalties in playoff final
2017/18    |   Accrington          |  League 2 (ENG)     |   1       |        n/a           |   Promotion; League 2 points record (104). Moved to Sheffield Utd at end of season
2018/19    |   Sheffield Utd       |  Championship (ENG) |   1       |        n/a           |   Promoted
2019/20    |   Sheffield Utd       |  Premiership (ENG)  |   7       |        semi          | 
2021       |   Jeonnam             |  K League (KOR)     |   5       |        n/a           |   Joined when 10th in the league, after a one-year job search
2022       |   Jeonnam             |  K League (KOR)     |   1       |        won           |   Domestic double   
2023       |   Jeonnam             |  K League (KOR)     |   1       |    won ACL + cup     |   A historic quadruple
2023/24    |   Ajax CT             |  South Afr Prem     |   9       |     won AfCL         |   A champions league win with an super-thin squad (joined in CL group stage)
2024/25    |   Ajax CT             |  South Afr Prem     |   2       |     won FA cup       |    
2025/26    |   Ajax CT             |  South Afr Prem     |   1       |    won CL + 2 cups   |   A quadruple of sorts
2026/27    |   América (MEX)       |  Mexican 1st Div.   |   2       |     won Mex cup      |   Joined 2 games before play-offs. Lost in play-off final
2027/28    |   América (MEX)       |  Mexican 1st Div.   |   1; 1    |     won NACL         |   Won closing and opening league + champ league
2028       |   Fluminese           |  Brazil Ser. A      |   8       |         n/a          |   Joined 1/3 through the season. Qualified for Copa Lib.
2029       |   Fluminese           |  Brazil Ser. A      |   1       |  won Copa Lib + CWC  |  
2029/30    |   Valencia            |  La Liga            |   4       |         n/a          |   Joined with team in 10th, qualified for CL
2030/31    |   Dortmund            |  Bundesliga         |   1       |    won Ger cup       |     Domestic double
2031/32    |   Olympique Marseille |  Ligue 1            |   1       |  won FRA cups + CL   |     A quadruple
2032/33    |   Napoli              |  Serie A            |   1       |       ITA cup        |     Domestic double
2033       |   San Lorenzo         |  Primera Div.       |   n/a     |       semi           |     Joined for half a year hoping to win a cup, then left
2034       |   Liverpool           |  Premiership        |   8       |     won both cups    |     Cup double (well, that's not really a double is it...)
2034/35    |   Liverpool           |  Premiership        |   1       | won Europa + ENG cups|     A quintuple, if you count the Charity Shield
2035/36    |   Benfica             |  Primeira Liga      |   1       | won 2x PRT cups      |     A domestic treble
2038/39    |   Rostov              |  Premier Division   |   1       |     won RUS cup      |     A domestic double

International career:

Season     |   Team           |  Tournament    |   Notes & Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19    |   Greece         |  Euro quals    |   Took over in Autumn
2019/20    |   Greece         |  Euro          |   Quarter-finals; lost to France
2021       |   Egypt          |  WC quals      |   Qualified by beating Nigeria in final group game
2022       |   Egypt          |  WC            |   Quarter finals; lost to Poland on penalties
2023       |   Egypt          |  ACON          |   Lost in semis (Ghana, extra time)
2023/24    |   Jamaica        |  WC quals      |
2024/25    |   Jamaica        |  Gold Cup      |   Winners!
2026       |   Jamaica        |  World Cup     |   Group stage exit
2027       |   South Korea    |  Asian Cup     |   Winners
2028       |   Ivory Coast    |  ACON quals    |   Qualified
2029       |   Ivory Coast    |  ACON          |   Winners
2030       |   Ivory Coast    |  World Cup     |   Lost in semis
2031       |   Brazil         |  Copa America  |   Winners
2033       |   Brazil         |  Confed Cup    |   Winners
2034       |   Brazil         |  World  Cup    |   Runners up
2035       |   Spain          |  Euro quals    |   Qualified
2036       |   Spain          |  Euros         |   Lost in quarters (Portugal on penalties), sacked
2037       |   England        |  WC quals      |   Won Internaltional League
2038       |   England        |  World Cup     |   Lost to Germany in the final

Challenge Progress:

Club
 9/10 top domestic leagues: KOR (Jeonnam), RSA (Ajax CT), MEX (Club América), BRA (Fluminese), DEU (Dortmund), FRA (Marseille), ITA (Napoli), ENG (Liverpool), PRT (Benfica)
 9/10 domestic cups: KOR (Jeonnam), RSA (Ajax CT), MEX (Club América), DEU (Dortmund), FRA (Marseille), ITA (Napoli), ENG (Liverpool), PRT (Benfica), RUS (Rostov)
 5/5 club continental championships: Asian CL (Jeonnam), African CL (Ajax CT), NACL (Club América), Copa Libertadores (Fluminese), Champ League (Marseille)
 1/1 club world championship: Jeonnam 2023, Fluminese 2029

International
 4/5 continental tournaments: Gold Cup (Jamaica), Asian Cup (South Korea), ACON (Ivory Coast), Copa America (Brazil)
 1/2 world tournaments: Conf Cup (Brazil)

1200px-Ajax_Amsterdam.svg.png

Season 2024/25

Ajax Amsterdam

Having made the decision to leave Palmeiras for the sake of my challenge, I had to wait a little while to get a job. Eventually, I packed my bags and headed to Amsterdam.

The starting XI were extremely strong, and I felt that providing I could keep them all fit, we'd have a good chance of winning the league. The squad lacked a little in depth, but without the cup to worry about (due to the Dutch Cup bug) I was hopeful that I could keep my main players fit throughout the season. The biggest challenge was going to be keeping hold of some of my players, with several 'big' clubs sniffing around.

The season began with 7 wins on the trot, and actually only dropped 8 points in the first 17 games. We turned in some impressive performances in this spell, scoring 3 or more in 10 of those 17 games. The second half of the season was a little more inconsistent, and we found our lead of 12 points had been cut to just 6 with 6 games left. A defeat to Vitesse, who moved into second, meant the lead was now only 3 points with 5 to go. We both dropped points, but ultimately the title was ours to lose. With 2 games left, we still had a 6 point lead. Time to win the league away at Twente. Nope. We got thrashed 5-0 in the worst performance of my reign. It was so bad that the players reimbursed the fans who travelled. Vitesse won, which meant we still needed a point to seal the league. Thankfully, PEC Zwolle couldn't match Twente's performance, and an 87th minute winner from Pierre Janssen (more on him in a moment) topped off a 3-2 win, and the Eredivisie trophy came back with us.

In the Champions League, we were given a tough group alongside Dortmund, reigning champions Chelsea and Basel. Away defeats to Chelsea and Dortmund occurred either side of a tense 1-0 win over Basel at home, before a magical night saw us defeat Dortmund 2-0 at home, and give us genuine hope of making the last 16. Chelsea beat us at home, which meant that we were sat in third going into the last game. Dortmund had won the group, and despite a 1-0 away win in Basel, we couldn't join them. Chelsea nicked a 90th minute winner at home to Dortmund to pip us to second place, and condemn us to third and a spot in the Europa League.

Barcelona, Arsenal, AC Milan, Napoli, Sevilla, Lazio, Marseille, Porto, Schalke. All of these teams were in the knockout stages...of the Europa League. Absolutely insane.

An away goals win after a 2-2 draw on aggregate against Besiktas saw us advance to the last 16, where we avoided the big guns and drew Bordeaux. 2-0 up after the first 5 minutes of the first leg, we threw it away to draw 2-2. This meant we travelled to France knowing we needed to score to go through. We actually scored twice, but this was after they had done the same. 20 minutes to go, the tie finely balanced at 4-4 on aggregate, we pushed forward looking for another goal, knowing one more for us would mean they needed 2. It wasn't to be, as they hit us on the break, and won 3-2. Gutting, as I thought this side would have a decent crack at making the semis, with some help from the draw.

Key performers of the season were undoubtedly my devastating forward three, but before I get to them Martijn Egberts definitely deserves a mention at right back. He averaged 7.32 for the season, which is really impressive for a right back. However, Pierre Janssen (13 goals and 23 assists), Menno de Ruiter (18 goals and 23 assists) and Bruno Pires (25 goals and 6 assists) stole the show between them. If pushed, I think Menno de Ruiter would be my Player of the Season. He was only 19 and a fringe player when I came in, but he's made the AMR position his own in a phenomenal way. Janssen on the other flank did well, but de Ruiter gets my vote.

So what now? I think I'm going to look to move on. Realistically, Ajax aren't going to win the Champions League any time soon, so I'll need to move on in order to progress with this challenge. Where I'll end up is anyone's guess. Ideally, I'd like to think I'd be able to get a decent club in one of the big 5 leagues, but I'm not sure that'll happen just yet. We shall see.

Club
Season        Team             Position      Notes and Achievements
2016/17      Dungannon     9th            Irish Cup winners, Mid-Ulster Cup winners

2018            Sligo Rovers    1st             League winners!

2019            Tianjin              1st             League winners!

2020            Tianjin              8th            FA Cup winners! Champions League winners!

2021            Montreal         4th            League (MLS Cup) winners!

2022            Montreal         1st             Won MLS Supporters' Shield, currently in last 8 of NACL

2023            Montreal          N/A          NACL winners!

2023            Palmeiras        9th           Brazilian Cup winners!

2024/25      Ajax                  1st            League winners!

Country

2021           Ivory Coast         Qualified for the World Cup

2022           Ivory Coast         World Cup quarter finalists. Quarter finalists in CHAN. Qualified for African Cup of Nations

2023          Ivory Coast         African Cup of Nations winners!

Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 top domestic leagues - Republic of Ireland (Sligo), China (Tianjin), USA (Montreal), Netherlands (Ajax)

3/10 domestic cups - Northern Ireland (Dungannon), China (Tianjin), Brazil (Palmeiras)

2/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League (Tianjin), NACL (Montreal Impact)

0/1 club world championship -

International

1/5 continental tournaments - African Cup of Nations (Ivory Coast 2023)

0/2 world tournaments -

I think that's my tenth trophy, which means I can return to the leaderboard, finally!

senegal-logo.png

Faded's 2046 World Cup Report

So my second international tournament with Senegal, and based on our efforts in the Confederations Cup I was pretty optimistic we could provide some more good performances. Goals for the tournament were to reach at least the 2nd round and of course not get sacked. This is my 5th World Cup i've managed at in this save I believe so I definitely know what i'm up against! Pre tournament warm ups consisted of a 6-0 demolition of Zimbabwe in an ACON qualifier and a narrow 2-1 friendly loss to Sweden. We've drawn a group with South Korea, Wales and my old team Brazil.

Group Stage

Spoiler

Senegal 5-0 South Korea (goals from Niang x2, Leye, Mendy, Sankare) A perfect start as we absolutely destroyed South Korea, this was possibly the best i've seen this Senegal team play.

Senegal 1-1 Wales (goal from N'Doye) My star midfielder Alassane N'Doye who also plays for my Sundowns side scored an absolute screamer but we also scored a very unlucky own goal. A draw was probably a fair result but we definitely could've edged this one. 

Senegal 1-2 Brazil (goal from Niang) We went ahead early as I hoped for a famous upset but they came back through a fantastic free kick from one of my old Barca players. Not a lot we could have done here, and since Wales only beat S.K. 3-0, we go into the next round on goal difference! We have drawn another of my old teams in Mexico

2nd round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Senegal 4-1 Mexico (goals from Bayo x2, Sagna, Kane) What a performance! this tops the South Korea game as we totally dominated a pretty decent Mexico side. Now on to face Turkey in the semis!

Quarter final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Senegal 0-2 Turkey (aet) Well the run is over, but we did push the Turks all the way to extra time. I'm pretty happy we got this far and this game was by no means a bad performance.

Semi final (if applicable)

Spoiler

3rd place playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Aftermath

Spoiler

So a pretty good effort from my Senegalese lads as we defied expectations and reached the quarter finals. This team works very well together and with my tactic, especially as I have 4 of my internationals at Sundowns as well. I have high hopes for the ACON in 6 months, maybe this will finally be the year I can win it! On the club side of things I'm working hard in the transfer market with Sundowns and have made a few signings. Massive overhauls are going to need to take place and i'm sure many more players will move in and out of the club in the next few weeks. We are pretty set at goalkeeper, centre back and all the midfield positions except for maybe a bit more depth out wide, but i've really struggled to find any decent strikers or fullbacks anywhere. I cannot seem to find any fullback that has any kind of crossing ability which is very important for my tactic as I like to play attacking, overlapping fullbacks. Also all the strikers I find are great finishers but cannot pass for their lives which is pretty important for false nines. Oh well, we'll see what I can do!

2022 - Shanggang

ShanghaiEastAsia.png.9829ea51a662988831f9f8eb73df2fcc.png

Another season down and another unbelievable season!

I knew we had a good chance at some success here, we were rolling in money, had some great players (Oscar and Hulk to name a few) and were already odds on favourites to win the Chinese Super League. I spent £15m in the close season transfer window securing deals for all the highly rated Chinese players from my rivals and it worked a treat!

Chinese Super League - We absolutely smashed it! 32 games (The league increased from 16 to 18 teams this season), 27 wins and only 2 defeats. We ended up clear at the top by 22 points!

Chinese Cup - We entered the competition in the last 16 beating 1st Division side Annapurna 3-0, in the Quarters we smashed Beikong 4-1 away from home. Next up was Guangzhou in the semis, the 1st leg was away and it ended 1-1, the home leg was cagey, ending 0-0, this meant we scraped into the final on away goals! A 2 legged final against Changchun awaited. The first leg was at home and we smashed them 5-1, the away leg went the same way, we won the game 2-1 so a cracking 7-2 on aggregate.

and finally

Asian Champions League - I felt we had a pretty tough group. Melbourne and Jeonbuk I thought were pretty decent, we ended up top of the group winning 5 and drawing 1. It was a breeze. We continued our good run beating Shandong 4-0 on aggregate in the 2nd Round and then Suwon 5-1 on aggregate in the Quarters, We met Ulsan in the Semi finals, a 3-0 home win in the 1st leg set us up, the away leg ended 1-1 and we were into the final where we would meet Al-Ain of the UAE. The 1st leg was away and OH MY GOD what the hell happened! This just shows the unbalance of the way the Asian CL works, all the Eastern sides seem to play each other and all the middle eastern sides meet in the other side. Al-Ain were apparently the best team on this side. The away leg score?

AL-AIN 0 Shanggang 9 YES 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.thumb.png.a84326a0f4b0c263fc802fc150318959.png

Absolutely insane!

In the 2nd leg I rested most players to keep them fit for the Chinese Cup final legs and even with that we won the game 5-0, a whopping 14-0 on aggregate!!

So China went well! A triple in my first and only season! NEXT!!!

Manager Progress - 2 League and Cups down and also 2 Continental Champions Leagues down, my manager rep is going through the roof, it is now at 70%. I never expected to be doing this well after such a short period of time. I have also completed my final coaching badge which means I now am fully coached (Continental Pro Licence).

What Next? - Africa down, Asia down, my next destination will be North or South America, I have Argentina, Mexico, Chile and Colombia loaded so will be moving there. I always like to leave Europe to last especially when I have to win so many different nations league and cups there, may as well leave it until the end.

International Management - A quick update on Egypt and to be honest it's not going as well as expected. We crashed out of World Cup 2022 Qualifying ending 3rd in a pretty easy group. In the African Cup of Nations Qualifying it has gone a lot better. We ended top of our group winning 5 and drawing 1. Our group looks good and I do feel like we can end in the top 2 to qualify for the Knockouts, we have been drawn against Senegal, Nigeria and Guinea. I do feel that whatever happens I will leave after this tournament, I feel I can get a better job with more chance of success but we will see.

So there you go, another update and another amazingly successful season!

Season   Team    Position  Notes and Achievements
17/18	Thanda Royal Zulu	1st	South African 1st Division Champs
18/19	Thanda Royal Zulu	1st	South African Premier Division Champs
19/20	Thanda Royal Zulu	2nd SA Knockout Cup and Super 8 Winner
2021	Thanda Royal Zulu	African Champions League Winners
2022	Shanggang		1st	Chinese Super League, Chinese Cup and Asian Champions League Winners

Challenge Progress

Club

2/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2019, China - Shanggang 2022)

2/10 domestic cups (South Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2020, China - Shanggang 2022)

2/5 club continental championships (Africa - Thanda Royal Zulu 2021, Asian - Shanggang 2022)

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments ()

Edited by Cheekybananafm

ANOTHER UPDATE!!

Asian Nations Cup 2022 - Egypt

Egypt_FA.png.b39c748a21e78d92d8342ea7e6b216e5.png

I'm not gonna hang about with this. It went really badly! After a group stage where we won all 3 games, 3-1 vs Guinea, 2-1 vs Nigeria, 2-0 vs Senegal we then played Angola in the Quarter Final. The game ended 0-0 and went to penalties. We managed to lose the shootout 4-3 and we were out.

Terrible and really frustrating, my best 2 players (Elneny and Salah) are both retiring and I have no reason to stay so I'm resigning to find a bigger and better International Job.

In other news I'm still waiting for a domestic job, I've had a few job interviews but no concrete offers as yet

Hiya guys decided to give this another go, so I got my first job as Bangor City in Wales, won the cup in my first season and a respectable position of 4th in the league.

I then moved on and went to Glentoran in Northern Ireland and won the league and cup double in my season there.

So I decided to leave thinking I would get a decent chance of a either a top team in Republic Of Ireland,  or a Scottish League 1 team or even a Vananama Conference team but no, I was out of work for nearly a year before I got the job of Tamworth manager who were bottom of English National League North, I barely got a rhythm going and left them after 8 games in charge.

I am now manager of Cove Rangers who are bottom of Scottish League 2, I have got them out of the bottom, will stay there for a season and try build something, it is very hard to get up them leagues, but I like a challenge.

Jezzar's Ultimate Football Manager Adventure

2016/2017
l69USCB.jpg

BALTIKA KALININGRAD - RUSSIAN FIRST DIVISION
League Table | Schedule | Manager Profile

What a beautiful mess... As I mentioned in my first post, I took over Baltika Kaliningrad of Russian First Division as my first team, with them being possible relegation candidates in 18th place. After taking a look at the squad, I was dumbfounded at the roster management. Baltika had not 3, not 6, not 8, but 14 PLAYERS WHO WERE EITHER DC OR DM'S. But obviously, there were no decent strikers or wingers. Fortunately, this was a pretty decent situation to bring out the Brazilian Box tactic (narrow 4-2-2-2) which proved to be a hit in Russia. We gathered 34 points in 19 games, and managed to not only stay up, but finish in a very respectable 10th position.

Right after we were done with the season, I resigned from my position and am now looking for a new club. I see no point playing in Russia, as it would be very hard for me to get anything out of continental cups. Hopefully I can take over a decent club and forget about this mess of a half season.

[b]CLUB CAREER

Season        Club                     Pos          Domestic Cup/s          Continental Cup/s         Notes & Achievements[/b]
2016/17       Baltika Kaliningrad      10th         N/A                     N/A                       Took over in 18th with 19 games remaining.
2017/18

[b]INTERNATIONAL CAREER

Year     Nation           Competitions                                      Notes & Achievements[/b]
Challenge Progress

Club
0/10 domestic cups 
0/5  club continental championships
0/1  club world championship

International
0/5  continental tournaments 
0/2  world tournaments

united-states-flag.gif

World Cup 2026

USA

I'm still without a club job, almost a year after leaving Ajax. Its ridiculous, to be honest. No club in any of the big five leagues will offer me a job, and actually only a few of them have even bothered to interview me. I've added some more leagues in the hope that someone, somewhere will give me a half decent job.

To tide me over, I took the USA job when they offered it to me. Qualification for the World Cup was almost certain before I took the helm, so I didn't need to fret about that. The World Cup saw me put in a group with Ecuador, Croatia and Switzerland. The powers that be had told me I needed to reach the second round, so I was targeting two wins as being enough to get me through.

Croatia were up first, and we were phenomenal. 3-0 up at half time, it was 5-0 by the time we'd finished, and I had high hopes of making the last 16. Those hopes were tempered a little with a 1-1 draw against Switzerland. We went into the Ecuador game knowing a point would be enough to qualify, and that a win would guarantee us top spot. An unconvincing 2-1 win followed, meaning we'd topped the group. Our reward?

Spain.

However, the lads did me proud, going in front with 20 minutes to go. When Spain then had a man sent off, I thought we were going to do it. And then Spain got a dodgy last-minute penalty, which they duly converted. Extra time came and went, and so we went to penalties. Three scored and one missed was enough to knock out the Spaniards, and take Team USA into the last 8 of the World Cup!

Holland awaited, and we put in a fantastic performance. 1-0 up just before half time, we defended stoutly, and then smashed two in two minutes as the clock ticked down. A 3-0 win, and, somehow, we'd made the last four, and I dared to dream.

And then the dream died.

France were ultimately too good for us, beating us 2-1. We had a few chances, but they were better than us on the day. No complaints, and we finished our World Cup campaign with a 2-0 win against Denmark to finish third overall. France went on to lift the trophy, beating England on penalties. Some things never change then.

Stand out individual performers were Gino Borg, who, with 6 goals in 5 games won the Golden Boot, and Christian Pulisic who provided 4 assists, which was a tournament high as well. Defensively, centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers was fantastic, earning himself a place in the team of the tournament alongside the other two.

A great run, and hopefully this will stand us in good stead for the Gold Cup next year. In the meantime, I really, really need a club job. My reputation is 3 and a half stars (so almost 70%?) and I keep getting turned down over and over again. I'm hoping the World Cup will see some managerial shake ups, and maybe I can nab a job in the aftermath.

@numero uno gunner Welcome back to the leader board. Good to see a new name there, because when there's only a couple of people, it looks a bit pathetic. It's horrible when your hopes (often quite humble) gradually build up during a tournament, until you think, 'I've underestimated the lads. By God, we're going to win this thing. I'm a fantastic manager', and then you lose. Worrying that having an international job still seems to make it difficult to get a club job, but for much of FM17 it was impossible. To be fair, it should be impossible. It would just bugger up this challenge.

@jezzar Sorry Russia didn't work out. You weren't tempted to see if another season could bring promotion? I suppose if you're not feeling it, no point hanging around. Hope that you can get a decent 2nd job.

@Ronaldo Beckham Congrats on your success so far. Sounds like you might achieve the (I think) British Steel challenge along the way where you get all the trophies in the UK.

@Cheekybananafm Hard luck in the ACON or Asian Cup. Africa, Asia; they're fundamentally the same place these days. Mostly Chinese people. Hopefully quitting Egypt will help you get a club job. Well done at SIPG. The game should really reflect the fact that only Evergrande are able to win the league, but I'm playing a save in China at the moment, (of which more anon), and Yanbian look like they might win the league, which is just silly. Still, FM will never be able to reflect the insanity of the Chinese FA.

@Fadedaf I've always pronounced your name in my head as Faddy Daf.  I was unaware of the term 'faded'. So, your updates are educational, both for me, and I suppose any real life prospective employers who link your on line activity to your applications. Good luck in the ACON.

@dkouv Congrats on Russia. Hope you can get a better job in Spain than Las Palmas, and as always a reluctant and heavily qualified good luck with England.

@yugular Look forward to hearing whether the low hanging fruit of a job you got worked out.

@vikeologist the name was actually picked mostly because it's a palindrome actually. It's not necessarily meant to be linked to the more questionable uses of the word I promise! perhaps I can use it as an excuse for not getting some of the FM jobs while doing this challenge though haha.

unnamed+%252838%2529-picsay.png

This was the low hanging fruit. After having great success with Spanis national team there were few very interestig top flight teams who interviewed me, but it wasn't meant to be. Then I noticed Orlando Pirates were looking for a manager. 22/23 season was just begun and they had one their first league match and their squad looked ok. I took the job and informed the board that we will win ABSA Premiership this season, which we did:

Spoiler

We conceded only 10 goals in during the season in ABSA. We got knocked out of the cups in very early stages but were in CAF Confederation Cup where we qualified for the group stage easily. The Group stage was tough though. My whole team was on vacation for the first two games but we managed to steal a draw in the other game nevertheless and qualified to the playoffs. Eventually we lost the Finals to ES Tunis, but it was a good run. I am looking forward to next season to win as much as possible here. @vikeologist What are all the different competitions I should win with South African club? Also it would be interesting if SI would finally add more leagues from Africa. Egypt could be interesting for example.

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16/17	Carlisle              7th Sky Bet League 2	           Lost in playoffs rnd 1
17/18   Carlisle              1st Sky Bet League 2                 Promotion 
18/19   Middlesbrough         2nd Championship                     Promotion
19/20   Middlesbrough         5th Premier League                   EC slot
21/22   New England Revolution MLS                                 resigned
22/23   Orlando Pirates       1st ABSA Premiership                 runner-up in CAF Confederations Cup

Challenge Progress

Club
 1/10 top domestic leagues (ABSA Premiership 22/23/Orlando Pirates)
 0/10 domestic cups 
 0/5 club continental championships  

International
 1/5 continental tournaments (European Championship 2020/Croatia)
 1/2 world tournaments (World Cup 2022/Spain)

International:
Season       Team             Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2020        Croatia          Won European Championship
2022        Spain            Won World Cup

@yugular There are 2 eligible cups. The names constantly change, but there's the FA Cup, which all S African teams are in, and then another cup which is just for the top division sides. The one that doesn't count is the Super 8 cup which only has the top 8 teams in. In case you don't know, you can only count one of the 2 cups towards your total.

You also need to win the Champions League of course. Don't sell your players at the end of the season, because you won't be able to register new signings for the latter stages of the CL.

It would be great for the challenge if SI added African leagues, but I'm pretty certain they'll never do that, because of the availability of add on leagues, though we don't allow them in this challenge. Like I say it would be a shock, and a reversal, if any new nation was added to FM any time soon.

@vikeologist Ok so MTN8 doesn't count for nothing, neither Be the coach challenge i suppose (similar to the Charity Shield in England). I won both of those 23/24 :D Also CAF Confederation Cup isn't anything? I need to win the CAF Champions League (to which I qualified for the season 23/23!) Am I right? This might actually take 2-3 seasons...

Just now, yugular said:

@vikeologist Ok so MTN8 doesn't count for nothing, neither Be the coach challenge i suppose (similar to the Charity Shield in England). I won both of those 23/24 :D Also CAF Confederation Cup isn't anything? I need to win the CAF Champions League (to which I qualified for the season 23/23!) Am I right? This might actually take 2-3 seasons...

Yes, to everything. If you take over at the start of the season, and the club's not in the CL, it takes a minimum of two and a half years. Another year and a half for you now. In a way it's good you didn't win one of the 2 major cups, at least you have something to play for next season, plus the pyrrhic prize of the Confed.

senegal-logo.png

Faded's ACON 2047 Report

I really felt optimistic about this one. A few of our important players missed the tournament through injury, but the fact that the team fit my preferred tactic well and had been performing really well in every match over the last 2 years meant I was pretty confident we could go far in this competition. This is my 5th ACON, could it be the one I finally win? pre tournament friendlies included a 1-0 win over Cameroon and a 4-0 victory against Zambia. We've drawn a pretty tough group with Nigeria, Algeria and Mozambique. Nigeria and Algeria are both former teams so it would be good to beat them especially, however I guess I can say that about most countries in Africa at this point. Here's how we went:

Group stage

Spoiler

Senegal 3-2 Algeria (goals from Kane, Boye x2) We went 3-0 up in the first half but let them back into it late on, a decent performance overall and 3 points in the bag.

Senegal 3-2 Nigeria (goals from Sagna, N'Doye x2) Exactly the same as the last game, but this one was a little bit nervier. we held out though and have qualified for the next round with a game in hand.

Senegal 2-0 Mozambique (goals from Seck, Fofana) I rotated the team heavily for this one, but two second half goals meant another good win. Now we face Tunisia in the quarter finals.

Quarter final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Senegal 2-0 Tunisia (goals from Seck, Sagna) An incredibly close game, we were only able to scrape a win with goals in the 88th and 89th minute. A win is a win though and now we face South Africa in the semis!

Semi final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Senegal 2-0 South Africa (goals from Bayo, Diallo) A very solid performance as we dominated the South Africans. Our defence in particular seems to have improved. We are going to face the Ivory Coast in the final, can we go all the way?

3rd place playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Senegal 1-3 Ivory Coast (goal from Sagna) No we can't. I am pretty devastated. We went ahead on the stroke of halftime and I was really sure that this would be our tournament but it wasn't to be. They scored three rapid goals in the 71st, 74th and 81st minutes to crush our dreams. I am runner up at the ACON for a second time.

Aftermath

Spoiler

5 attempts, 5 failures at the ACON. I don't know what it is about this competition that makes it so hard to me. I always have a pretty solid team that plays really well for 2 years then somehow gets shown up in one uncharacteristically bad game. Now I guess I have to decide whether I'll stay at Senegal or move to another African nation. I do like this team but the young players coming through don't look like anything special, and a few key players look like they'll retire in the next few years. I'll have a look at which other jobs are available then make a decision. It clearly isn't the team that is the problem though it's just that I can't win this competition! The club side of things is going better at least, we've won 2 cups so far and are top of the league. It'll be a while until I get my first shot at the CL though with its many irritating quirks.

Vikeologist's Start of Challenge / I'm Back, Bitches Report

Image result for dalian yifang

I wasn't enjoying my youth save as we'd plateaued at the Champions League Group Stage / First Knockout Round level.

I haven't managed in China since FM15, and things have changed a lot since then.

To be honest, I don't think that China is anywhere near the best place to start this challenge. I was the second person ever to try this challenge with FM15, (or about the hundred thousandth if you take the view that this is basically just the Pentagon Challenge). Then I was able to get a first job in the Super League with Renhe, who are potentially a decent enough club, though not at that point in that save which led me to understand the first rule of Ultimate Club; do some research before you take a job. You know, I've played a lot of Football Manager of the years, but I think that may be the worst situation I've ever inherited.

Anyway, it is no longer possible to get a top division first job in China, but I think that I got about the best first Chinese job possible when I was offered the post at Yifang with 2 matches of the season remaining. I actually managed Yifang in my FM15 challenge, though then they were called Aerbin and were a very big club. Since then they've been relegated and are a bit of a sleeping giant, and I've gone to live in Dalian in real life and then move back to the Chinese city I lived in before.

If I was to make a good start to the challenge, it was vital to gain promotion in my first full season. At the midway point I was in a strong second /promotion position, but then a run of 5 fluky matches without a win dropped us to third.

We then won 8 and drew 2 of our 10 remaining fixtures, and those 2 draws saw our opposition equalise deep in injury time. You'd think from that we'd have been promoted easily, but unfortunately the 2 teams around us were equally awesome. It went to the final match of the season. We were 2 points behind the leaders and 2 points ahead of the third placed team. Predictably all 3 of us won our matches by huge margins and to my immense relief we were up. 

In Fm15, I soon abandoned Dalian to take the job at Evergrande, and of given the chance I'd obviously do that again. I presently have a job application in with Shandong Luneng, but that was basically a safety application in case I didn't get promoted. Shandong are probably a bigger side, but I've made Dalian my own, so I don't know whether I will take the Shandong job if offered, or even go to the interview. Probably won't even get the chance. 

I've also started applying for international jobs, as it's important to get on that asap. Bit disappointed to be turned down by the likes of Iran and Croatia, but there's a couple still pending.

Top Goalscorer  Nyasha Mushekwi 23 This was predictable enough, since he should be about 50 times better than the Chinese veteran playing alongside him. Zhu Ting was 31 when I took over and had 22 caps for China. What he didn't have; goals. In 292 career league matches he'd only found the back of the net 35 times, and he's been equally non-scory for China. Basically Zhu Ting (born in Dalian where he's spent almost his entire career) is probably a major reason Yifang aren't in the Premier League. All that changed with me as he scored 16 goals in the first half of the season and looked as though he may double his career tally in just one season. Then goals dried up and he picked up what in the circumstances is probably a career ending serious injury.

Best Average Rating  Zhu Xiaogang  7.38. A midfielder who only got as many games as he did because of injuries. When I looked at the end of season stats, i asked myself 'Who is Zhu Xiaogang.' Now we're promoted, he's obsolete. 

Man of Match – Mushekwi  – 5.

MVP – Honestly thought it would be Zhu Ting for the first half of the season. I'd even though up a nickname; Zhu 'Wild' Ting, but I suppose it's Mushekwi. 

Domestic
Season	Team					Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
2016	Dalian Yifang				7th		Took over for last 2 matches of the season
2017	Dalian Yifang				2nd		Promted to Chinese Super League

International
Year	Team					Achievements	

Challenge Progress

Club
 0/10 domestic cups 			
 0/5 club continental championships 	

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 		
 0/2 world tournaments 

Pug's Update Season 2028-29

HkvU2xW.png

So With No Big Teams Needing A Manager I Took A Job At Struggling Go Ahead. Contract .With Us Sitting In 17th In The League

After 13 Games. I Set About Trying To Get Up The Table And We Did Just That. After Pulling Some Better Players That Were Sitting In The

Reserves. In The End We Managed To Get Up To 6th In The League. With That We Entered The Play-Off For Euro Place Which We Won. Results .

65m4zV5.pngEQQOfLF.png

On The International Side At The Beginning Of The Season I Got A Job With Australia. Contract . But With-In 14 Days England Came Calling. Contract .

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys
2018/19    Gladbach
2019/20    Gladbach                           Won                                      Won DFB And Euro League
2020/21    Gladbach            Won            Won         Won
2020/21    Fluminense                                     Won                          Took Over In 14th Finished 8th
2021/22    Fluminense          Won            Won
2022/23    Tigres              Won                        Won
2023/24    Liverpool           Won            Won  Won
2024/25    PSG                                Won  Won
2025/26    PSG                 Won
2026/27    Fiorentina          Won            Won
2027/28    Kaizer Chiefs       Won            Won         Won     Won
2028/29    Go Ahead
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation    Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                  World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                           Won
2019/21 USA                                                      Won
2023/24 China
2023/24 S Korea
2023/24 Brazil                Won
2025/26 Brazil    Won
2026/27 Brazil                                                              Won
2028/29 Australia
2028/29 England
  Challenge Progress

Club

8/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea-Germany-Brazil-Mexico-England-France-Italy-S Africa)
7/10  Top Domestic Cups (S/Korea-Germany-Brazil-England-France-Italy-S Africa)
5/5   Continentals Cups (Ulsan-Gladbach-Fluminense-Tigres-Kaizer Chiefs)
1/1   Club World Cup (Ulsan)

International

3/5   Continental Tournaments (Nigeria-USA-Brazil)
2/2   World Tournaments (Brazil-Brazil)

@vikeologist - That's the thing though, on FM16 I regularly had both a club and an international job. I'm getting interviews now, but still can't get a job. Lazio, Espanyol, Schalke, Koln, Watford, Boca have all interviewed me and turned me down. Its getting ridiculous. I took the USA to the World Cup semi finals and 5th in the world!

@vikeologist Good to have you back, looking forward to the updates from the Chinese smog (both FM and real-life) :) I did take the Las Palmas job in the end, I mean they seemed to have some cracking players but now they all want away and Real Madrid have activated my best player's release clause. Nothing like a mini-challenge in the Ultimate challenge to keep things interesting...

@Fadedaf Commiserations, let's hope the ACON doesn't become the new Champions League :S

Just a quick update, I got sacked from Cove Rangers even though I was 2nd in the league due to high expectations by the board as they wanted me top and also cos I bought it too many players who never got to play so the unrest in the squad caused me to get sacked, the good thing to come from this was my reputation was doubled in the time I was at Cove Rangers.

So I went job searching, applied for whatever team was available, Torquay in the Conference offered me a job but I delayed it for a week and then another week as I was the favourite for the Shrewsbury and Barnet jobs who were in League 2 so wanted to try get one of them jobs but despite being favourite they didn't offer me the job, I declined the Torquay job while waiting for response from Shrewsbury and Barnet, frustrating aint the word but I will be back with a new club sooner rather then later.

It's gone quiet in here.

Anyway I managed to get a job in the end, I became the manager of RKC Waalwijk in Holland 2nd Division, I start badly but built up some form and by the end of the season I managed to get 10th place and make the playoffs, didn't expect to get promoted but won all 3 games to get them promoted, oh yeah I am also the manager of Senegal who have a good team with Mane, Keita Balde, Babacar, Issa Diop, Koubaily etc, aiming to win the African Cup Of Nations with them and try get into the World Cup.

My reputation is 45% now after being 25% before I got the RKC job, hoping to get a better job in the summer, will update you how I get on.

11 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

My reputation is 45% now after being 25% before I got the RKC job, hoping to get a better job in the summer, will update you how I get on.

How and where do you see this kind of rep value?

Mamelodi_Sundowns_F.C._logo.png

Mamelodi Sundowns Season 2046/47 Report

Another season finished with Sundowns where our goals were to ideally win the league or at worst finish second and qualify for the champions league next year. All other competitions were not really seen as important and good performances in them would be just a bonus. Here's how we went:

Super 8 Cup- won it pretty easily, with the highlight being an 8-1 aggregate win over Kaiser Chiefs in the semis. I actually never won this trophy when I was with Royal Eagles so good to get a win here.

KO Cup- won this one as well, which makes it the 4th total time iv'e won this competition. We dominated FS Stars 4-0 in the final.

South African FA Cup- Yet another cup win. I played weakened sides full of youth and fringe players and we still breezed through this competition. We smashed Jomo Cosmos 5-0 in the final. Triple cup winners!

League- It all went to plan as we were superb all season  long, losing only one game and winning the league with 2 games to spare. We finished 5 points clear of Kaiser Chiefs who were the only team to really give us any trouble. So Champions League secured for next season, hopefully we can challenge for it on the first try! A domestic quadruple in my first full season is pretty much perfect and I couldn't have asked for a better season.

African Confederations Cup- We comfortably beat Maranatha, Etoile Filante, FC Lupopo and ES Setif to reach the group stage, the first game of which is very soon. I don't particularly care how we do in this competition but hopefully it can serve as a good warm up to our Champions League campaign next season.

Best Players: Top goalscorer- William Tsotetsi (26 goals, 7 assists, 7 POM) veteran striker signed at the start of the season, did pretty well all season although lost his first team place a couple of times. He mostly only ended up top scorer because the rest of our strikers either left in January or only signed in January.

Most assists + highest avg rating- Ayanda Lekoelea (16 goals, 19 assists, 7 POM, 7.86) Wide player brought in for this season who was consistently incredible putting in some perfect crosses.

Most POM- Tsotetsi and Lekoelea with 7

Honourable mentions:

Siyabulela Sihlangu (21 goals, 3 assists, 5 POM in 22 apps)

Matar Camara (11 goals, 15 assists)

Thapelo Lerotholi (10 goals, 10 assists)

Shaun Masilela (6 goals, 11 assists)

Results Results 2

So a perfect season in which we won everything that we possibly could have won. Now lets do it all again next season! Many of my best players want to leave which is annoying but hopefully we can keep hold of some and bring in some more good signings. I've solved my striker and fullback problems but I now need to find a good ball winning midfielder. As soon as registration for the Champions League happens though, no one is leaving. Not sure if i mentioned in a previous post but i've taken over managing Nigeria again at international level after failing to win the ACON with Senegal.

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Royal Eagles     1st                  -               KO Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2018/19      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               FA Cup runners up, CL qualification, CL ongoing
2019/20      Royal Eagles     1st              Semi Final          KO Cup winners, FA Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2020/21      Royal Eagles     --               Semi Final          KO Cup winners, Super 8 runners up, left halfway through season for Molde
2021         Molde            1st                  -               Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2022         Molde            --                   -               Undefeated and 1st in the league when I left for Genk
2022/23      Genk             1st                  -               EL Semi finalists
2023/24      Genk             2nd              Group Stage         Super Cup winners, Cup runners up, EL Quarter finalists
2024/25      Genk             1st               Playoff            Cup winners, CL qualification
2025/26      Saint Etienne    3rd                  -               Supercup winners, Cup runners up, EL Semi finals, MOTS, CL qualification
2026/27      Saint Etienne    3rd               Playoff            Cup winners, EL Quarter finals, CL qualification
2027         Jeonbuk          1st              Semi Final          Took over in 6th position, CL qualification
2028         Jeonbuk          1st              CHAMPIONS           Cup winners, MOTS, FA cup best manager, CL qualification, 5th in CWC
2029/30      Tigres        1st + 2nd               -               Cup winners, Libertadores qualification, MOTS
2030/31      Tigres        1st + 1st           CHAMPIONS x2        Quintuple winners, CWC qualification, double CL qualification again, MOTS
2031/32      Tigres      3/4th + 1st     2nd Round + runner up     Recopa winners, CWC Champions, NACL runners up
2032/33      Roma             4th             1st KO Round         Cup semis, CL qualification
2033/34      Roma             1st             1st KO Round         Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2034/35      BMG              1st             1st KO Round         Cup semis, CL qualification
2036/37      Chelsea          2nd             1st KO Round         EFL Cup runners up, FA Cup semis, CL qualification
2037/38      Chelsea          2nd             1st KO Round         FA Cup winners, EFL Cup runners up, CL qualification
2038/39      Chelsea          1st             1st KO Round         MOTS, CL qualification
2039/40      Chelsea          2nd              Semi Final          CL qualification
2040/41      Barcelona        1st             1st KO Round         CL qualification, Cup winners, Supercup winners, MOTS runner-up
2041/42      Barcelona        1st              Runners Up          Unbeaten in the League, Cup winners, Supercup winners, MOTS, CL qual.
2042/43      PSG              1st              CHAMPIONS           Cup winners x2, Supercup winners, CL qualification
2043/44      PSG              1st             1st KO Round         CWC winners, French + Euro Supercup winners, CL qualification
2044/45      Celtic           1st                  -               Cup winners, CL qualification
2045/46      Sundowns         4th                  -               FA Cup runners up
2046/47      Sundowns         1st                  -               Domestic quadruple winners, CL qualification

Challenge Progress

Club
 10/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa- Royal Eagles, Norway- Molde, Belgium- Genk, South Korea- Jeonbuk, Mexico- Tigres, Italy- Roma, Germany- BMG, England- Chelsea, Spain- Barcelona, France- PSG)
 10/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde, Belgian Cup- Genk, Coupe de la Ligue(France)- Saint Etienne, Korean FA Cup- Jeonbuk, Mexican Cup Opening Stage- Tigres, Italian Cup- Roma, FA Cup- Chelsea, Copa del Rey- Barcelona, Scottish Cup- Celtic)
 4/5 club continental championships (Asian CL- Jeonbuk 2028, Copa Libertadores- Tigres 2031, NACL- Tigres 2031 Champions League- PSG 2043) 
 1/1 club world championship (Tigres 2031)

International
 3/5 continental tournaments (Copa America 2031- Brazil, Gold Cup 2035- Mexico, European Championship 2040- Spain)
 2/2 world tournaments (Confederations Cup 2033- Brazil, World Cup 2034- Brazil)

International:
Season       Team             Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2018        China U23         Won Asian Games
2019        Cameroon          Started ACON qualification, switched to Algeria
2019        Algeria           Resigned after 2 games
2021        Nigeria           Qualified for world cup, ACON qualification ongoing
2022        Nigeria           Knocked out of World Cup in group stage, resigned
2023        Ivory Coast       Started World Cup and ACON qualifying
2024        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2025        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned
2026        Ghana             Qualified for ACON
2027        Ghana             ACON runners up, resigned
2028        SK + France U23   Won U23 Asian Cup, Olympic silver medallists
2029        Brazil            Qualified for World Cup
2030        Brazil            4th in World Cup
2031        Brazil            Copa America Winners!
2032        Brazil            Qualified for World Cup
2033        Brazil            Confederations Cup Winners!
2034        Brazil            World Cup Winners!
2035        Mexico            Gold Cup Winners!
2036        Spain             Started World Cup qualifying
2037        Spain             Qualified unbeaten for the World Cup
2038        Spain             World Cup runners-up
2039        Spain             European International League Div.A Winners!
2040        Spain             European Championship Winners!
2041        Ivory Coast       Missed out on World Cup qualification on goal difference
2042        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2043        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned
2044        Egypt             CHAN runners-up
2045        Egypt             Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned
2046        Senegal           Knocked out of World Cup in quarter finals
2047        Senegal           ACON runners-up, resigned

Sorry for slowdown in updates, had a few days off FM but now I'm back and hoping to crack on.

A quick update for you all.

After leaving my domestic job at Shanggang and my International job with Egypt it has taken around 3 months to get a job for both that excited me. I didn't want to do another Shanggang where I took over a really good team which made it stupidly easy so went for something a little bit tougher.

The destination is Mexico and the club is...

Cruz Azul

94JH-F_t.thumb.jpg.f674f4dea0b33b1f4c1b92a6a8bc0e45.jpg

They finished the 22/23 season in 12th Place (Opening Stage) and 15th Place (Closing Stage), this was out of 18 teams. It was a shocking season overall seeing as they were predicted to end 6th.

This season we are forecast to end 9th. The league as mentioned above has 2 stages but no overall table so I'm presuming from what I read in the challenge rules I can win either stage to claim the league title, also we are in the Mexican Cup as we are not currently in any of the Continental Comps, I still have no idea how it works out who qualifies for the NACL and who qualifies for the Copa Lib. I've read it on Wiki and it makes no sense in the actual game but I'm sure it will work itself out.

As for my International future I had a few offers from some lower ranked nations such as Russia and Czech Rep but decided to go with a club who I know are decent and I feel I can win something (even though are some massive nations in this continent).

The Destination is South American, the Country is....

Chile

chile_flag.thumb.jpg.f0378e11f6765b15bff566bd7d4c1341.jpg

Currently World ranked 14th, we are the 3rd best South American team behind Argentina (3rd) and Brazil (1st). Its gonna be tough but I love a challenge. Chile were just knocked out of the 2023 Copa American by Ecuador in the Quarter Finals. The World Cup 2026 Qualification is also just about to start.

So its all change but I'm really looking forward to the challenge on both level, wish me luck!

Edited by Cheekybananafm

@Ronaldo Beckham - correct, it doesn't count for anything. Good little boost for your rep I imagine. You should walk the league with Ajax.

@Cheekybananafm - Remember that topping the table in either stage doesn't count as winning the league, as you have to win the playoffs. That should get you into the NACL. I can't remember if that gets you into the Copa Libertadores though. Good luck with Chile as well!

@Fadedaf - Good luck for the Champions League. Sounds like you're set up for a good crack at it. When's the next African Cup of Nations? Am I right in thinking you didn't take Nigeria to the ACON last time?

@Cheekybananafm I don't understand the Mexican qualification for the Lib either. In FM17 my team never seemed to qualify for it despite quite a bit of success, and according to sikipedia we should have. Anyway, I think it might be Cruz Azul where you're not allowed to sign non-Mexican players, which makes it a bit more difficult, but as they are a fairly big club, only a bit. I've always found the main problem with Mexico being that the clubs do love a sacking or two, and two chances to win a season also means 2 chances to underperform.

43 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

@Cheekybananafm I don't understand the Mexican qualification for the Lib either. In FM17 my team never seemed to qualify for it despite quite a bit of success, and according to sikipedia we should have. Anyway, I think it might be Cruz Azul where you're not allowed to sign non-Mexican players, which makes it a bit more difficult, but as they are a fairly big club, only a bit. I've always found the main problem with Mexico being that the clubs do love a sacking or two, and two chances to win a season also means 2 chances to underperform.

Yeh the Wiki page has no relation to what happens in the game with regards to Copa Lib qualification. Ill just try to win the NACL here, if the Copa Lib comes up then great, if not ill win it somewhere else.

As for the transfer policy I have signed a few non-Mexicans so it must be a different team your thinking of mate

3 minutes ago, Cheekybananafm said:

Yeh the Wiki page has no relation to what happens in the game with regards to Copa Lib qualification. Ill just try to win the NACL here, if the Copa Lib comes up then great, if not ill win it somewhere else.

As for the transfer policy I have signed a few non-Mexicans so it must be a different team your thinking of mate

Yes, I was wrong. It was Chivas I was thinking about, although it seems that maybe they've changed it, and now it's Guadalajara. Don't know how much of this is currently reflected in game.

Orlando_Pirates_FC_(logo).png               1280px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Season 2026/2027

Orlando Pirates and USA

After 18 months without a domestic job, I was eventually offered three in the space of a week. I turned down Newcastle and Chivas to take the job at Orlando Pirates. On the surface, it probably looks like a crazy decision. The squad isn't great, they were sitting in 13th when I took over and had no wide midfield players, who are essential to my tactic. However, it took me so long to get a job in South Africa last time I did this challenge that I've bitten the bullet earlyish this time around. I've used the rest of the league campaign to assess who I should be keeping around for next season. We finished a respectable 8th, and now need to get on with the rebuilding process this summer.

Internationally, I'm thoroughly enjoying managing Team USA. I decided to rest my main players for my opening Gold Cup game against El Salvador, expecting my squad players to be good enough to get us off to a winning start. Unfortunately, we were held to a 1-1 draw, meaning the next game against Jamaica was huge. In came our big guns, who did what they do best and won 2-1, with Gedion Zelalem and Gino Borg scoring our goals. A comfortable 2-0 win over Honduras, with our squad players back in the side, meant we topped the group, and went on to face Haiti in the quarter finals. A Gino Borg goal just after half time was enough to seal our passage through to the last 4, where we faced Jamaica again. We absolutely smashed them, winning 4-1 to take us through to the final. My second international trophy was sealed with an easy 2-0 win over Canada, Gino Borg and Matt Lynch with the goals. North American Gold Cup secured!

What now? Hopefully I can sort out the squad at Orlando Pirates into something that can challenge for a Champions League place. That said, if a job came up at a team who should win the league or at a decent 'top 5' league club I'd be tempted. Internationally, I'm just going to wait and see what comes up now.

Club
Season        Team             Position      Notes and Achievements
2016/17      Dungannon     9th            Irish Cup winners, Mid-Ulster Cup winners

2018            Sligo Rovers    1st             League winners!

2019            Tianjin              1st             League winners!

2020            Tianjin              8th            FA Cup winners! Champions League winners!

2021            Montreal         4th            League (MLS Cup) winners!

2022            Montreal         1st             Won MLS Supporters' Shield, currently in last 8 of NACL

2023            Montreal          N/A          NACL winners!

2023            Palmeiras        9th           Brazilian Cup winners!

2024/25      Ajax                  1st            League winners!

2025/26     Unemployed

2026/27     Orlando Pirates  8th      Took over with 10 games to go.

Country

2021           Ivory Coast         Qualified for the World Cup

2022           Ivory Coast         World Cup quarter finalists. Quarter finalists in CHAN. Qualified for African Cup of Nations

2023          Ivory Coast         African Cup of Nations winners!

2024          Unemployed

2025          USA                     Qualified for World Cup

2026          USA                     Lost in World Cup Semi Final (finished 3rd). Upto 5th in the world

2027          USA                     North American Gold Cup winners!              

Challenge Progress

Club

4/10 top domestic leagues - Republic of Ireland (Sligo), China (Tianjin), USA (Montreal), Netherlands (Ajax)

3/10 domestic cups - Northern Ireland (Dungannon), China (Tianjin), Brazil (Palmeiras)

2/5 club continental championships - Asian Champions League (Tianjin), NACL (Montreal Impact)

0/1 club world championship -

International

2/5 continental tournaments - African Cup of Nations (Ivory Coast 2023), North American Gold Cup (USA 2027)

0/2 world tournaments -

@numero uno gunner sounds like you're making good progress and I think taking the Orlando Pirates job is a good idea, looks like you'll be in a similar situation to me. Next ACON is a season and a half away for me, and you're right I didn't take Nigeria to it last time around, although that was some 25 seasons ago.

las_palmas.jpg.471ec0d4d624f43e52e1e904de6b6c0b.jpgengland.jpg.b32397602fd7c8ba67d906eec262f189.jpg

Season 22 – 2039/40 – Las Palmas / England

Season Review

Getting a suitable job in Spain proved tough. Zidane is still managing Real Madrid, Barca have not sacked their boss for ages, and Atletico Madrid and Real Sociedad both rejected me. So I went for Las Palmas – by now a solid upper-mid-table team in the La Liga. It turned out that they had a rather good core of – mainly home-grown – squad players, certainly not far off the Liverpool side I managed. Problem is, Barca and Real are absolutely owning La Liga. One of them has won the title in every season since 2018/19, they tend to finish the season with at least 90 points, and last season Real won the title with 104 points. So a bit like real life I guess, and makes for a nice challenge to cap off the club trophies. Plus the extra bonus of managing in the Canaries and guessing how far teams have to fly to your ground for home matches.

I had a fair bit of money to play around with in the summer after Real bought my best player for his £67 mln release clause. I tried to buy youth as much as possible, with a view to developing a team to challenge the Classico duet in a few seasons’ time. Things got to an unexpectedly good start, however, and I was top of the league in October. But then an injury crisis hit, and Barca and Real were relentless, accumulating win after win, whereas I still struggled in an odd game. A 3-0 away win at Barca gave me hope towards the end of the season, but I never managed to catch up, finishing 3rd on 89 points. In the cup, I was 1-0 up on aggregate against Real when they scored an equaliser in injury time, and then a winner in extra time. Close on both fronts, but definitely no cigar. I did win the Europa League, however, beating Man Utd and Arsenal in the process, which is always nice. I’m looking forward to a fair old crack at the league and cup next season, as my youngsters develop and I work a bit on a tactic to beat park-the-bus opposition.

League | Europa

Player review

Top scorer – Tiago Machado, 21 goals and 8 assists in 41(2) apps, rating 7.47.

The goals were shared all around the team, but my former Napoli recruit was the best of the bunch

Top assists – Acoran Merino, 14 assists and 13 goals in 30(9) games, rating 7.43

A top player but one who is not particularly suited to my formation, and I might let him go if I get a ridiculous offer (Bayern and Marseille are interested)

International

The euros are coming up, and to my pleasant surprise England are the host nation. So I really hope I can win them this time…

Manager progress

80% rep

What’s next

Bringing football home and dismantling the Real-Barca hegemony. Hopefully.

Challenge XI

GK: Lee Ki-Ho (Jeonnam, South Korea)

DR: Lars Schaefer (Dortmund)

DC: Nicolas Reimann (Dortmund)

DC: Davide Ditomasso (Marseille)

DL: Dirk Jan Büttner (Napoli)

MC: Thomas Devos (Dortmund)

MC: Yasar Cetin (Marseille)

MC: Junior (Liverpool)

ST: Pedro Filipe (Marseille)

ST: Miguel “The Man” Rodriguez (Club America)

ST: “Bruce” Lee-Sang Joon (Jeonnam, South Korea)

Subs: Guillermo Vendakis (Marseille), Marcos Rogerio (AMC/ST, Fluminese), Luis Osorio (MC, Club America), Abdul Diaby (AMLC/ST, Napoli/Ivory Coast), Patrick Besse (DC, Liverpool), Remy Declerck (DL, Marseille), Lewis Clarke (GK, Liverpool)

Club Career:

Season     |   Team                |       Division      |   League  |        Cups          |   Notes & Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    |   Accrington          |  League 2 (ENG)     |   4       |        n/a           |   Took over in December (team in 20th), lost on penalties in playoff final
2017/18    |   Accrington          |  League 2 (ENG)     |   1       |        n/a           |   Promotion; League 2 points record (104). Moved to Sheffield Utd at end of season
2018/19    |   Sheffield Utd       |  Championship (ENG) |   1       |        n/a           |   Promoted
2019/20    |   Sheffield Utd       |  Premiership (ENG)  |   7       |        semi          | 
2021       |   Jeonnam             |  K League (KOR)     |   5       |        n/a           |   Joined when 10th in the league, after a one-year job search
2022       |   Jeonnam             |  K League (KOR)     |   1       |        won           |   Domestic double   
2023       |   Jeonnam             |  K League (KOR)     |   1       |    won ACL + cup     |   A historic quadruple
2023/24    |   Ajax CT             |  South Afr Prem     |   9       |     won AfCL         |   A champions league win with an super-thin squad (joined in CL group stage)
2024/25    |   Ajax CT             |  South Afr Prem     |   2       |     won FA cup       |    
2025/26    |   Ajax CT             |  South Afr Prem     |   1       |    won CL + 2 cups   |   A quadruple of sorts
2026/27    |   América (MEX)       |  Mexican 1st Div.   |   2       |     won Mex cup      |   Joined 2 games before play-offs. Lost in play-off final
2027/28    |   América (MEX)       |  Mexican 1st Div.   |   1; 1    |     won NACL         |   Won closing and opening league + champ league
2028       |   Fluminese           |  Brazil Ser. A      |   8       |         n/a          |   Joined 1/3 through the season. Qualified for Copa Lib.
2029       |   Fluminese           |  Brazil Ser. A      |   1       |  won Copa Lib + CWC  |  
2029/30    |   Valencia            |  La Liga            |   4       |         n/a          |   Joined with team in 10th, qualified for CL
2030/31    |   Dortmund            |  Bundesliga         |   1       |    won Ger cup       |     Domestic double
2031/32    |   Olympique Marseille |  Ligue 1            |   1       |  won FRA cups + CL   |     A quadruple
2032/33    |   Napoli              |  Serie A            |   1       |       ITA cup        |     Domestic double
2033       |   San Lorenzo         |  Primera Div.       |   n/a     |       semi           |     Joined for half a year hoping to win a cup, then left
2034       |   Liverpool           |  Premiership        |   8       |     won both cups    |     Cup double (well, that's not really a double is it...)
2034/35    |   Liverpool           |  Premiership        |   1       | won Europa + ENG cups|     A quintuple, if you count the Charity Shield
2035/36    |   Benfica             |  Primeira Liga      |   1       | won 2x PRT cups      |     A domestic treble
2038/39    |   Rostov              |  Premier Division   |   1       |     won RUS cup      |     A domestic double
2039/40    |   Las Palmas          |  La Liga            |   3       |  semis; Europa win   |

International career:

Season     |   Team           |  Tournament    |   Notes & Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19    |   Greece         |  Euro quals    |   Took over in Autumn
2019/20    |   Greece         |  Euro          |   Quarter-finals; lost to France
2021       |   Egypt          |  WC quals      |   Qualified by beating Nigeria in final group game
2022       |   Egypt          |  WC            |   Quarter finals; lost to Poland on penalties
2023       |   Egypt          |  ACON          |   Lost in semis (Ghana, extra time)
2023/24    |   Jamaica        |  WC quals      |
2024/25    |   Jamaica        |  Gold Cup      |   Winners!
2026       |   Jamaica        |  World Cup     |   Group stage exit
2027       |   South Korea    |  Asian Cup     |   Winners
2028       |   Ivory Coast    |  ACON quals    |   Qualified
2029       |   Ivory Coast    |  ACON          |   Winners
2030       |   Ivory Coast    |  World Cup     |   Lost in semis
2031       |   Brazil         |  Copa America  |   Winners
2033       |   Brazil         |  Confed Cup    |   Winners
2034       |   Brazil         |  World  Cup    |   Runners up
2035       |   Spain          |  Euro quals    |   Qualified
2036       |   Spain          |  Euros         |   Lost in quarters (Portugal on penalties), sacked
2037       |   England        |  WC quals      |   Won Internaltional League
2038       |   England        |  World Cup     |   Lost to Germany in the final

Challenge Progress:

Club
 9/10 top domestic leagues: KOR (Jeonnam), RSA (Ajax CT), MEX (Club América), BRA (Fluminese), DEU (Dortmund), FRA (Marseille), ITA (Napoli), ENG (Liverpool), PRT (Benfica)
 9/10 domestic cups: KOR (Jeonnam), RSA (Ajax CT), MEX (Club América), DEU (Dortmund), FRA (Marseille), ITA (Napoli), ENG (Liverpool), PRT (Benfica), RUS (Rostov)
 5/5 club continental championships: Asian CL (Jeonnam), African CL (Ajax CT), NACL (Club América), Copa Libertadores (Fluminese), Champ League (Marseille)
 1/1 club world championship: Jeonnam 2023, Fluminese 2029

International
 4/5 continental tournaments: Gold Cup (Jamaica), Asian Cup (South Korea), ACON (Ivory Coast), Copa America (Brazil)
 1/2 world tournaments: Conf Cup (Brazil)

@Fadedaf - Internationally yes, I'm making fairly good progress. Domestically is a different story completely though. I'm genuinely amazed at some of the jobs people have landed at relatively early jobs in their careers in comparison to mine. And its not as if I haven't done alright, what with amassing 11 trophies already!

Stevenage_Football_Club.thumb.png.f0da014553016f6c65d5a72e9fd14a4f.png

2016/2017 Season - League Two - Stevenage

So my 2nd attempt at the Ultimate Challenge, I waited a little longer before I jumped into a job. Stevenage came calling and I thought they had a really good squad so took the job. They were 19th with 22 games gone, knew play off's would be a long shot but managed to finish the season in 10th place. Looking forward to getting next season underway. With a few additions to the squad, I think promotion is the aim next year.

Season | Team             |Position | Notes and Acheivements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17| Stevenage        |10th     | Took over with 24 games left in 19th position
Edited by YellowLittle