FM15: Aston Villa F.C. - Building around Benteke!

Spike

Since we're at the end of January 2016, it's time for another update (also I am about to go on a horrendous run of fixtures!)

Here are the results since I last updated

8a88b89e2a06beca1ea32fbca66356c4.png

Which leaves us 3rd in the league, but with some tough fixtures to come so not expecting to stay there really. Next up is City away, Chelsea home, Everton away, Arsenal home.

11f58eb8f3b58f18ea117d9c57180b57.png

My team's player performances so far -

02c40a83f32b00249c61f479f123314a.png

3a4d7e7d3d85bd32d7c62ce8e4cbe31b.png

Alli, Grealish and Stones have been phenomenal and are also top 3 in the entire league for average rating so far.

In terms of signings the Jan window was pretty quiet, we just brought in Aaron Lennon & Nick Powell on loan. I was actually going through an injury crisis in Nov- December, with Cresswell, Mitrovic, Gudelj, Agbonlahor, Morrison, Grealish, Vlaar, Tripper all out for varying periods of time. This prompted the loan signings & I have also kept Robinson when he came back from loan. Thankfully the injuries have eased up though, and good fixtures while I had my key players out meant that we were able to keep up our form through the phase.

In the Europa League we will be facing FC Kobenhavn in the next round, and if we qualify either Feyenoord or Slovan Liberec

In the League Cup final, we are up against the mighty Chelsea. If you recall, we made it to the final last year too and then got schooled by Man United. So hopefully, this time will be different.

Back with another update in a couple of days then!

Great work so far!

What tactic are you using?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great work so far!

What tactic are you using?

e790530305c75cd1372578368cd55228.png

Have been developing it since last season.. think it's pretty balanced now. Tried it with fluid but wasn't as good. Also I think the team is now good enough to go into most games with attacking mentality except the really tough ones.

Since we're at the end of January 2016, it's time for another update (also I am about to go on a horrendous run of fixtures!)

Here are the results since I last updated

8a88b89e2a06beca1ea32fbca66356c4.png

Which leaves us 3rd in the league, but with some tough fixtures to come so not expecting to stay there really. Next up is City away, Chelsea home, Everton away, Arsenal home.

11f58eb8f3b58f18ea117d9c57180b57.png

My team's player performances so far -

02c40a83f32b00249c61f479f123314a.png

3a4d7e7d3d85bd32d7c62ce8e4cbe31b.png

Alli, Grealish and Stones have been phenomenal and are also top 3 in the entire league for average rating so far.

In terms of signings the Jan window was pretty quiet, we just brought in Aaron Lennon & Nick Powell on loan. I was actually going through an injury crisis in Nov- December, with Cresswell, Mitrovic, Gudelj, Agbonlahor, Morrison, Grealish, Vlaar, Tripper all out for varying periods of time. This prompted the loan signings & I have also kept Robinson when he came back from loan. Thankfully the injuries have eased up though, and good fixtures while I had my key players out meant that we were able to keep up our form through the phase.

In the Europa League we will be facing FC Kobenhavn in the next round, and if we qualify either Feyenoord or Slovan Liberec

In the League Cup final, we are up against the mighty Chelsea. If you recall, we made it to the final last year too and then got schooled by Man United. So hopefully, this time will be different.

Back with another update in a couple of days then!

Ravel Morrison twice in your team?

After a 2-0 victory over the baggies at Villa park the league is very tight with just 6 games remaining;

0279c7a1-cc5e-4c03-9073-ddf3375a42b9_zps2ab5b826.png

With the next 3 games against Arsenal, Liverpool & Spurs we could really push for a Champions League place......or more likely fall out of European contention altogether.

I have a feeling that the first 8 games, where we only picked up 5 points, are going to prove costly :(

348iluh.jpg

Here is the opening results. Picked up four points in the end. Felt i got screwed over by Man City. Was 2-0 down to come back to 2-2 only to see two goals disallowed then they score, heads drop and they score a 4th in injury time.

Arsenal was a major disappointment. The team just fell apart. Hopefully I can try and put some points on the board now though. Forth Takeover attempt is currently taking place aswell.

We beat Arsenal 1-0 through a Chesney own goal in the 90th minute! Patrick Roberts coming on and making the difference. First win in 4, which takes us back into 4th place in the league as well.

Still involved in all the cups too - going to be a very busy last few months of the season!

Quick update (will post a proper season update tomorrow).

A 1-1 draw away at Palace in the final game saw us finish in 6th, 3 points off the top 4 (would have settled for this at the start of the season tbh).

Two things realistically cost us Champions League football. A terrible start (P8, W1, D2, L5) was the main cause, after this the record for the last 30 games was much better (P30, W17, D8, L5). Also two poor home performances against relegated teams, Notts F (0-0 at home) and Bournemouth (lost 1-0 at home).

On a brighter note I have managed to tempt Thorgan Hazard to sign a permanent contract when his current contract with Chelsea expires shortly. Didn't come cheap though for a free signing, £76k per week, £13.25k appearance fee, £9k per goal, £4m in signing fees & £2.7m compensation. Judging by his performances since he arrived on loan though it will be money well spent (he won 5 PoM awards in half a season).

Jack Grealish had a poor second half of the season (coinciding with the arrival and stellar performances of Hazard). He has just spoken to me because Man C are interested in him and he asked to speak to them if a bid came in. I told him money isn't everything and if he stays he will be guaranteed first team football, whereas Man C will probably use him as a bench warmer. He was happy with our chat and said he will stay as he is enjoying playing for the club :D

My two priorities in the transfer window (£26m to spend) are two quality Wingbacks. Any suggestions?

Gino Peruzzi for right wing back. Only just signed him myself but he is doing OK. Average rating of 7.24 after the first 5 league games.

I have seen a lot of people commenting on how good he progresses although i am not sure if someone would of already snapped him up on your save?

Quick update (will post a proper season update tomorrow).

A 1-1 draw away at Palace in the final game saw us finish in 6th, 3 points off the top 4 (would have settled for this at the start of the season tbh).

Two things realistically cost us Champions League football. A terrible start (P8, W1, D2, L5) was the main cause, after this the record for the last 30 games was much better (P30, W17, D8, L5). Also two poor home performances against relegated teams, Notts F (0-0 at home) and Bournemouth (lost 1-0 at home).

On a brighter note I have managed to tempt Thorgan Hazard to sign a permanent contract when his current contract with Chelsea expires shortly. Didn't come cheap though for a free signing, £76k per week, £13.25k appearance fee, £9k per goal, £4m in signing fees & £2.7m compensation. Judging by his performances since he arrived on loan though it will be money well spent (he won 5 PoM awards in half a season).

Jack Grealish had a poor second half of the season (coinciding with the arrival and stellar performances of Hazard). He has just spoken to me because Man C are interested in him and he asked to speak to them if a bid came in. I told him money isn't everything and if he stays he will be guaranteed first team football, whereas Man C will probably use him as a bench warmer. He was happy with our chat and said he will stay as he is enjoying playing for the club :D

My two priorities in the transfer window (£26m to spend) are two quality Wingbacks. Any suggestions?

Nicely done Spike. Sounds like a great season overall. Who were your other top performers and how is Benteke getting along now? You still have him, right?

Wingback suggestions - Aaron Creswell is doing very well for me on the left. If you want someone really attacking you can also check out Jordan Obita. He's good from set pieces too which is an added bonus.

For RWB, Corchia is world class if he is still available and not snapped up by one of the big boys. Also look at Vrsaljko, Gino Peruzzi, Wallace (from Chelsea). If you can tempt Clyne away from Southampton, he looks amazing this year as well.

Following the hard run i had Sunderland who sat two places above me due to goal difference (that Arsenal 6-2 defeat hurt a lot) I tweaked my line-up a little from a 4-3-3 to a 4-1-2-2-1 - Basically just dropping Sanchez into a Anchor role offering a little more protection in front of goal.

I smashed Sunderland 4-0 so hopefully this is where my season starts. Before the game - despite the hard start to the season Graham Taylor tipped me to be the next manager sacked in the league. Believe it or not Martin Jol was sacked as Sunderland boss and guess who was in the running to take over?

Untitled_1.jpg

I must be doing something right?

Loved catching up on all the villa exploits that are going on. It seems some of us are getting done over on many levels! The inconsistency of my team is frustrating the hell out of me!

Liverpool (H) - won 3-1

Hull (A) - Lost 3-2

Sunderland(H) - Lost 2-0

The last 2 games I had a grand total of 35 shots on goal, the opposition had 6! 5 goals all came from crosses that were slotted home by their lone stikers (Graham and Jelavic). This hasn't happened since the start of the season, and its like the AI is saying "Hey! How dare you finish 6th with a **** Villa side!"

So now we have dropped to 10th on 50 points with 2 games remaining. Only 3 points off 7th and European Football. Chelsea(A) and Stoke(H) are my 2 remaining games. Will post an end of season report when its all done.

Following the hard run i had Sunderland who sat two places above me due to goal difference (that Arsenal 6-2 defeat hurt a lot) I tweaked my line-up a little from a 4-3-3 to a 4-1-2-2-1 - Basically just dropping Sanchez into a Anchor role offering a little more protection in front of goal.

I smashed Sunderland 4-0 so hopefully this is where my season starts. Before the game - despite the hard start to the season Graham Taylor tipped me to be the next manager sacked in the league. Believe it or not Martin Jol was sacked as Sunderland boss and guess who was in the running to take over?

Untitled_1.jpg

I must be doing something right?

LOL mate, thats your odds to get the sack, not the Sunderland job.

SEASON 1 SUMMARY

Finished 10th, which is ok I guess. We looked like we could push for top 6, but tailed off towards the end of the season. Very inconsistent throughout the whole season, which really frustrated me. Conceded a fair amount of goals, which is something I will look to address during the summer. This season was all about consolidation and hoping for a takeover. This eventually happened at the end of the season, and they have already started work on upgrading the youth facilities.

HIGHLIGHTS

Beating Chelsea 1-0 at home.

Beating Liverpool 3-1 at home.

winning 6-0 against Southampton & an impressive 4-2 win away at Everton.

LOWLIGHTS

Benteke! Managed 7 goals all season. He has this season to prove himself or he is out the door.

Losing 2-0 at home to Sunderland who were bottom of the league! Lads just didn't turn up.

My Player Of The Season

Grealish. Scored 12 and 7 assists! Form dipped towards the end, but he was fantastic for large parts of the season.

Closely followed by Dele Alli and Dockal. Between the 3 they carried the team through out the season, and were a constant threat. Both of their averages were just above 7.30 for the season.

Work in the summer

Need to replace Guzan who is off to Roma. Centre Back to push Okore and Vlaar on a little, and a striker to compete with Benteke up top. A new RWB would be nice as well as Lowton is off to newly promotoed Wolves, along with Kozak and Bennett.

With Cleverley and Can returning to their parent clubs, I will definitely need a new centre mid to provide competition for places.

Young players to watch next season

Easah Sulliman DLC. Potential 5 star rating in my team. Just promoted him to the first team at the age of 17 to see how he performs next pre season. Not quite good enough yet for a regular spot, but he will improve with some exposure.

Been set a wage budget of 1 mill and have 9 mill to spend on transfers. There will be some dead wood moved on, and will look at bringing in some youth, as I dont have the funds or pulling power to bring in a big name!

SEASON 1 SUMMARY

Finished 10th, which is ok I guess. We looked like we could push for top 6, but tailed off towards the end of the season. Very inconsistent throughout the whole season, which really frustrated me. Conceded a fair amount of goals, which is something I will look to address during the summer. This season was all about consolidation and hoping for a takeover. This eventually happened at the end of the season, and they have already started work on upgrading the youth facilities.

HIGHLIGHTS

Beating Chelsea 1-0 at home.

Beating Liverpool 3-1 at home.

winning 6-0 against Southampton & an impressive 4-2 win away at Everton.

LOWLIGHTS

Benteke! Managed 7 goals all season. He has this season to prove himself or he is out the door.

Losing 2-0 at home to Sunderland who were bottom of the league! Lads just didn't turn up.

My Player Of The Season

Grealish. Scored 12 and 7 assists! Form dipped towards the end, but he was fantastic for large parts of the season.

Closely followed by Dele Alli and Dockal. Between the 3 they carried the team through out the season, and were a constant threat. Both of their averages were just above 7.30 for the season.

Work in the summer

Need to replace Guzan who is off to Roma. Centre Back to push Okore and Vlaar on a little, and a striker to compete with Benteke up top. A new RWB would be nice as well as Lowton is off to newly promotoed Wolves, along with Kozak and Bennett.

With Cleverley and Can returning to their parent clubs, I will definitely need a new centre mid to provide competition for places.

Young players to watch next season

Easah Sulliman DLC. Potential 5 star rating in my team. Just promoted him to the first team at the age of 17 to see how he performs next pre season. Not quite good enough yet for a regular spot, but he will improve with some exposure.

Been set a wage budget of 1 mill and have 9 mill to spend on transfers. There will be some dead wood moved on, and will look at bringing in some youth, as I dont have the funds or pulling power to bring in a big name!

Nice update :thup:

So for work in the summer, do you have any players in mind for the positions you need?

Have you thought about giving Cleverley a contract from a free transfer? I did it and hes doing ok for me in the second season.

I think he is a stronger better option to Westwood personally. Westwood can play DM which is handy though.

Ben Arfa was available on a free on mine aswell but lost him as the board was being taken over.

James Milner became available for 4m or loan towards the end of the summer aswell. Cant help but have a soft spot and want to bring him back haha.

@smplfc123 - I have bought in Nicola Leall on a free from Juventus. 21yr old GK and looks very promising

Edoardo Goldaniga - 21yr old italian CB. Again a free from Juventus, and has potential.

I am now on the look out for a Right Back to take over from Hutton, a striker to replace Benteke, and a CM as I have lost Cleverley and Can.

O and I just snapped up Ben Arfa on a free. Wages were a tad high, but he has creative flair, and gives us some different options.

Have you thought about giving Cleverley a contract from a free transfer? I did it and hes doing ok for me in the second season.

I think he is a stronger better option to Westwood personally. Westwood can play DM which is handy though.

Ben Arfa was available on a free on mine aswell but lost him as the board was being taken over.

James Milner became available for 4m or loan towards the end of the summer aswell. Cant help but have a soft spot and want to bring him back haha.

I don't feel Cleverley is worth the wages mate if i'm honest. That and he would be second choice to Alli

Tripper was too expensive despite Burnley going down. They wanted close to 10 mill for him. Here is my transfer business in prep for the new season

8dcd1569-f6e1-42a8-84ad-4fd0c45ea0ba_zps8d7d24c3.png

This is likely to be my starting XI (when fit)

39c19db6-26d6-4dcd-99ce-5ed97174b116_zps87674a9d.png

A young team, so I am expecting a bit of inconsistency. Just as long as we improve on last season I will be happy. My personal aim is to go for 6th spot, and get European Football back to Villa Park.

I've been looking for a team to go as and came across this thread. Very intrigued!

Out of interest, do you keep getting tycoon takeovers or just normal ones? I find tycoons can ruin saves to be honest. I'm

I am about 6 games into my second season and still no takeover.

@smplfc123 - I have bought in Nicola Leall on a free from Juventus. 21yr old GK and looks very promising

Edoardo Goldaniga - 21yr old italian CB. Again a free from Juventus, and has potential.

I am now on the look out for a Right Back to take over from Hutton, a striker to replace Benteke, and a CM as I have lost Cleverley and Can.

O and I just snapped up Ben Arfa on a free. Wages were a tad high, but he has creative flair, and gives us some different options.

I got Mitrovic as well, let me know how he gets on for you

He started well for me, with 10 goals in the first 15 odd games, then got injured for 2.5 months. Since he came back he's looked a bit off form but I'm hoping he comes good for the last couple of months of the season.

4ab9de3ff690bfd28b1ac0f6ca4b0e36.png

After the hurt of losing the final last year, we managed to go one better and bring the trophy home from Wembley :D

Luckily Chelsea stuck with the slightly weakened team they had been playing throughout the tournament so that helped

Our victory was led by my 3 young guns who have been nothing short of amazing since I joined the club - Grealish, Alli and Ravel Morrison. Taking the pressure off Morrison pre-match worked wonders as he scored two brilliant goals, and Grealish wrapped up the win with another belter. With Stones cup-tied, captain Vlaar also came in at the back and did a tremendous job.

Chuffed to bits about this! And we're also in the quarters of the FA Cup, and pre-quarters of the Europa League. Bring on the rest of the season :)

4ab9de3ff690bfd28b1ac0f6ca4b0e36.png

After the hurt of losing the final last year, we managed to go one better and bring the trophy home from Wembley :D

Luckily Chelsea stuck with the slightly weakened team they had been playing throughout the tournament so that helped

Our victory was led by my 3 young guns who have been nothing short of amazing since I joined the club - Grealish, Alli and Ravel Morrison. Taking the pressure off Morrison pre-match worked wonders as he scored two brilliant goals, and Grealish wrapped up the win with another belter. With Stones cup-tied, captain Vlaar also came in at the back and did a tremendous job.

Chuffed to bits about this! And we're also in the quarters of the FA Cup, and pre-quarters of the Europa League. Bring on the rest of the season :)

HUGE HUGE congrats mate! The first one on here to pick up a trophy! Lets hope it's the first of a couple this season for you.

I've been looking for a team to go as and came across this thread. Very intrigued!

Out of interest, do you keep getting tycoon takeovers or just normal ones? I find tycoons can ruin saves to be honest. I'm

Welcome to the thread, it's a very active one :thup:

I got taken over towards end of first season, not a tycoon though.

Here we go - season 2 is upon us...

First up is Hull City away. Pre season went ok. Played some really tough games in PSG, Boca, Roma and Koln to get the boys up to speed. We didn't disgrace ourselves, so confidence is high.

What's your first XI looking like?

Archived