Wages wages wages: a tale regarding Roberto Pereya

A long story begins.....

Roberto Pereya was on a free transfer but didn't think my Wolfsburg team could match him ambitions so wouldn't talk contract.

Took him on trial, he scored a wonder goal. Trial ended, then I tried to offer him a contract. He would listen and wanted 80k or so a week which is way too much for me to pay.

So I left it, and it was a fair few weeks before anyone moved for him. Frankfurt take him and only have to pay him 33K a week and his value is £17.5m !

My main question/point is -why are wages so difficult as a human player compared to the computer?

I've wondered this myself.

I can never get a player to negotiate down sometimes. Like, I have Fletcher and Anderson on 60k per week and I want them down to 40k (capped by the board) but Fletcher actually wants a wage rise (you wot!?!) and Anderson will drop down to 50-55k a week.

I'll probably let them go as they aren't massively important as backups in the first place, got some kids coming through, but I have no doubt when the leave they'll probably be happy to join whoever on peanuts.

It isn't.

Wages are partially dependent on the team offering the contract but in your example his situation also changed between you offering him a contract and Frankfurt offering him a contract. His demands would drop in that period and had you offered a contract at the same time as Frankfurt you would have stood a decent chance of getting him at a similar wage (If you are good at negotiating).

The biggest problem with contracts as it stands is that the players don't have a "memory" with regards offers and see each negotiation as a single one time isolated offer which results in situations like your example.

wages are doing my head in big time at the moment , got 7 mil in the bank and I can not offer more than 3k a week. I was top of the championship but I am falling off now 6 injuries have killed me off big time got money but can not find a decent replacement who will except my wage offer. time for bed before the keyboard gets it :(

The degree to which bigger clubs are expected to offer higher wages can get utterly ridiculous sometimes. I've had a number of saves over the years as Celtic or Rangers (before the tax thing destroyed them), and had players refuse to listen to any offers below £20k only to go to Aberdeen on £2k, or turn down 5 figures per week and Champions' League football in favour of battling relegation at Motherwell for less than a grand per week.

I get that realistically one might expect a bigger offer from a bigger club, but the extent to which the game portrays this can, at times, be ludicrous. And who in their right mind is going to turn down 10, 15 or 20 times the money AND a chance to show off their skills in Europe AND a very strong chance of silverware AND a better standard of facilities?

The degree to which bigger clubs are expected to offer higher wages can get utterly ridiculous sometimes. I've had a number of saves over the years as Celtic or Rangers (before the tax thing destroyed them), and had players refuse to listen to any offers below £20k only to go to Aberdeen on £2k, or turn down 5 figures per week and Champions' League football in favour of battling relegation at Motherwell for less than a grand per week.

I get that realistically one might expect a bigger offer from a bigger club, but the extent to which the game portrays this can, at times, be ludicrous. And who in their right mind is going to turn down 10, 15 or 20 times the money AND a chance to show off their skills in Europe AND a very strong chance of silverware AND a better standard of facilities?

Scottish people.

It isn't.

Wages are partially dependent on the team offering the contract but in your example his situation also changed between you offering him a contract and Frankfurt offering him a contract. His demands would drop in that period and had you offered a contract at the same time as Frankfurt you would have stood a decent chance of getting him at a similar wage (If you are good at negotiating).

The biggest problem with contracts as it stands is that the players don't have a "memory" with regards offers and see each negotiation as a single one time isolated offer which results in situations like your example.

There was a discussion when 14 came out where one of the SI guys came in and said something along the lines of the wage demands being set to the league reputation, so you're even more likely to see them pass up a 20k contract at Man United/Arsenal to join say, Bologna on 5k a week because of the perceived reputation shift. (I.E. 5k for that league is 'on par' where 20k for the Prem 'isn't' *rough example btw.)

Some of us, said that it should be the other way round, the player should want 'above par' wages for poor leagues but be happy to accept peanuts to play in a more 'prestigious' league. That was taken on board, whether it actually got looked at for 15 I don't know.

I should topic hunt for that thread because it was quite insightful as to some of the problems regarding wages and transfers.

There was a discussion when 14 came out where one of the SI guys came in and said something along the lines of the wage demands being set to the league reputation, so you're even more likely to see them pass up a 20k contract at Man United/Arsenal to join say, Bologna on 5k a week because of the perceived reputation shift. (I.E. 5k for that league is 'on par' where 20k for the Prem 'isn't' *rough example btw.)

Some of us, said that it should be the other way round, the player should want 'above par' wages for poor leagues but be happy to accept peanuts to play in a more 'prestigious' league. That was taken on board, whether it actually got looked at for 15 I don't know.

I should topic hunt for that thread because it was quite insightful as to some of the problems regarding wages and transfers.

Yeah I totally agree. I can understand why it would be hard to implement but in certain situations it's definitely more likely a player will get MORE for playing in a lower reputation league.

Obviously there are plenty of times when they would except less just so they can extend there career. Overall I'd like to see both types in the game one day.

It isn't.

This strikes me as the kind of situation where, if indeed his demands had dropped over time (which is reasonable if no club is prepared to match them) his agent should come back to you, trying to see if you're still interested in him at a lower wage.

The wage system has always bugged me and as wages rise in real life it just gets even more annoying in game with pre Madonnas thinking they deserve much higher wages than their playing role should have.

Also when it comes time for you to renegotiate your own contract your board are always stingy and refuse to offer you a substantial increase even if your team has come from nowhere to win the champions league. Most my saves when im at a club long term all my first team are on higher wages and all my staff than myself. Will wait and see if thats the case for FM 15.

If you know how this is set up in game then it makes a lot of sense. The wage structure of countries is determined in game (and can be changed in the editor) by player reputation on a country-by-country basis. So what is set in the editor to pay a CA 180 player in England is different to Germany and Spain etc. I am not exactly how that works by saying to a player 'this is what you expect here, if they offer you this + 20k it is a great offer', or if it is more a guideline to how much the board lets you pay. I imagine it is a bit of both, and it is probably not the optimal way to deal with it. However, it is probably a good way to program this, and perhaps other ways are much harder to implement.,

Archived