FM15 - The Vanarama Conference, North & South thread

CityAndColour

CityAndColour - Leamington FC - Conference North - 2014/15

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

Anyway, with the new update out, and me wanting to try my 4-5-1 from day one, I've started again with Leamington. This save will be my career one, as opposed to the testing I've been doing on previous saves.

Using the 4-5-1 also allows me to retain several handy players in the original squad (namely Danny Newton and Matthew Dodd) who are good players for this level, but didn't really fit into my 3-5-2 I was using previously. The former can play right across the attacking midfield line, and the latter is an attacking right winger.

Have made some really solid signings too, as follows:

Ty Smith (Met Police, season loan) - a really classy central midfielder who I can also use at right back too, and hits a great dead ball

Guillaume Velez (unattached) - former Toulouse and Newport County central mid

Fred Murray (unattached) - attacking left back, a well know lower league signing

Hassan Sulaiman (unattached) - attacking right back

Orlando Jeffrey (unattached) - veteran centre half, can also play as an anchor man

Ben Birch (unattached) - young centre half, previously of Mansfield

Early results have been quite spectacular, going 8-2-0 through the first 10 leagues matches (and we were the better side in both draws too). In the process we have smashed in 31 goals, and conceded 12 (four of those being penalties).

Stefan Moore has excelled as a lone false nine, with 9 goals and 2 assists, and my wide men Newton (4 goals and 4 assists) and Dodd (3 goals and 5 assists) have also been lethal. Loanee Smith has also provided 4 goals and 4 assists despite playing most of the season at right back.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great stuff yipster - I don't think there's anything more satisfying in FM than taking over a team down the bottom and bringing them up through the leagues (or in Stockport's case, back up). Keep us posted on how you get on.

Well I made it! I managed to keep Stockport up in the Vanarama North by a 1 point difference with Stalybridge. Now with the new season coming up I went into talks with most of my key players about a contract extension but the €5.72K Wage Budget is a stumbling block. The board won't allow a bigger budget while we almost have €1M in the bank :( Not to mention the €0 Transfer Budget..

This is going to be tough.

Well I made it! I managed to keep Stockport up in the Vanarama North by a 1 point difference with Stalybridge. Now with the new season coming up I went into talks with most of my key players about a contract extension but the €5.72K Wage Budget is a stumbling block. The board won't allow a bigger budget while we almost have €1M in the bank :( Not to mention the €0 Transfer Budget..

This is going to be tough.

First objective achieved then. What was your record since taking over? Are you confident you can push for promotion straight away or will it be a longer term job?

Feel free to post what areas you need to strengthen in and I'll try and recommend some players.

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

Have just reached the halfway point of the league season, and we hold a handy 12 point gap over Tamworth in second (albeit having played one more), and a massive 20 point gap to sixth. Our 57 goals is 13 better than the next side, and our goal difference of +31 is enormous, given only one other team has a positive GD in double figures (Chorley with +14). Put simply, we have been rampant.

Most impressive has been our home record, where we are a perfect 11 for 11, scoring 33 and conceding only eight. We also made the first round of the FA Cup (demolishing Conference side Alfreton 4-0 in the process), losing to L2 side Mansfield, and are through to the second round of the FA Trophy.

First objective achieved then. What was your record since taking over? Are you confident you can push for promotion straight away or will it be a longer term job?

Feel free to post what areas you need to strengthen in and I'll try and recommend some players.

I got of to a slow start with a loss and a couple of draws but I managed to get us some wins against our direct relegation opponents. The plan is to build a solid foundation in the upcoming season, I asked the board once more to increase the wage and transfer and they obliged! I can spend €12K a week with a transfer budget of about €50K. Turning the club pro also adds to the appeal.

I already signed 2 strikers:

- Nathan Blissett: first on loan from Kidderminster but decided to buy him because of his physical power. His finishing isn't too good but I hope his pure power will make up for it. Paid €0 for him :)

- Mark Williams: banged in 20 goals for Colwyn Bay last season but they got relegated nevertheless. Got him for free as well. His physical attributes are not that good but has 14 finishing and good work rate.

I'm still looking for a first team DC, DR and an AMR which can operate as an IF. My main formation is a 4-2-3-1 but I switch to a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3 from time to time to keep my opponents guessing. So far the possession based tactics with high pressing seem to work fine for me.

My second season is going above expectation! Beaten Eastleigh to get to the second round of the FA Cup.

5EE799E5F9677B66664F54BAE43216323562B5AA

--------------------

Also received this regen last season

852DE25FCCDC41916950CAB648C5014F83168E7B

I'm not sure if I should play this guy in the first team or U21 squad. He is among the best players of the team.

Yes, I just made some adjustments to my 4-2-3-1 and play him in the AMC position as an Advanced Playmaker in a Support Duty.

------------AF(A)-----------

W(S)------AP(S)------IF(A)

-----DLP(D)----CM(D)-----

FB(S)-CD(S)--CD©-FB(A)

-----------GK(D)------------

Fluid and Control

Shorter Passing, Work Ball in the Box and Lower Tempo

Gives me a lot of possession of the ball and loads of chances as well. I am a bit leaky in the back tho. So I made the Stopper-Cover adjustment with Hold Position PI's. The Stopper with Close Down More and the Cover one with Close Down Less. This in combination with the DLP(D) and CM(D) who also both hold position should give me some defensive stability in the core of my formation.

I'm curious how this'll work in the next couple fixtures.

From my experience there are issues with defenders not properly reacting or closing down in the box, so the best form of defence is the close down the midfield and prevent the AI from even getting within 30 yards of goal. Getting a player like that just adds to the magic of lower leagues though, as you can control his career from day one and create a club legend. What do your coaches see his potential as?

Great start to your new Leamington save C&C. Think I will be starting a new save with them soon myself. My first attempt with them I managed three straight top 12 finished but couldn't crack the top five.

Keen to hear a bit more about your 4-5-1. Is it two MCs with a line of 3 AMs? What style are you playing? Never thought to try Stefan Moore as an F9 that is a good shout. He always under performs for me.

It's as follows:

GK - 'keeper (d)

DL - full back (a)

DR - full back (s)

DC - central defender (d)

DC - central defender (d)

DMC - anchor man (d)

MCL - box to box (s)

MCR - advanced playmaker (a)

AML - inside frward (s)

AMR - winger (a)

FC - false nine (s)

Control, flexible.

- Shorter passing

- Work ball into box

- Close down more

- Stay on feet

The interplay between the front three is quite spectacular at times.

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

League: 1st

FA Cup: 1st round (lost to Mansfield)

FA Trophy: 2nd round (lost at Havant & Waterlooville)

Top scorer: Stefan Moore (23)

Most assists: Ty Smith (21)

Highest average rating: Danny Newton (7.24)

Fans' player of the season: Danny Newton

---

Just one of those seasons. We were top of the table for 40 out of the 42 matches, cruising to the title comfortably. We won 26 matches, scoring 98 times and having a goal difference of +50, and had both the best attack and equal best defence in the league. Of our five losses, three came after the title had been secured, and despite a growing injury list, we still managed to salute with a 3-1 win at Boston United on the final day.

Combining a false nine with an inside forward and a winger (with an advanced playmaker and B2B in behind) produced some scintillating football, and all of our attackers got in on the act. Stefan Moore was excellent up top with 23 goals and 11 assists, while Danny Newton (15 goals and 14 assists) and Matthew Dodd (15 goals and 10 assists) made the starting wide positions their own. Loanee Ty Smith was also unbelievable with 13 goals and 21 assists, and joined the aforementioned three as nominees for the division player of the season award.

Newton ended up taking out the gong (ironic as he has been one of the first players I've gotten rid of in previous Leamington saves) and I won the manager award.

We also got a handy looking youth player through the ranks in Andy Bolton, who I will be grooming as an advanced playmaker in the CM position:

i2GnzwG.jpg

Will be looking to strengthen in every which way possible, and will be interested to see how my tactical approach works against better teams.

---

2014/15 - Leamington - Conference North - 1st (promoted as champions)

Good looking player right there!

I'm struggling at the moment. After being unbeaten for 2 months straight in October and November I find it hard to win a game during December and January. Does playing a short passing game during these winter games affect my team? I have a feeling it does.

Amazing!! After battling for relegation last season and this season expectations to end somewhere in the upper half of the league I managed Stockport to promotion by winning the Vanarama North!!

The last couple of games have been amazing.

0F755DA13C4728E0B3FAF5078CA8D266CFBFDB03

Small update for you all.

End of October in second season with my Gosport Borough

Here is how my season is going so far

u5h3W9i.png

And here are my matches played

jLoLzuK.png

Overall I am quite happy....Only really struggled against former League sides that will be stronger than me

Yeah, it's a bit of a rude awakening having to play big full time clubs as a little part timer. Are you still using the same tactics that got you promoted, or have you tweaked them?

And great work yipster - how much did your young star contribute?

And great work yipster - how much did your young star contribute?

Not too much to be honest. He's fairly inconsistent but I believe that's because of his age. I'll be bringing him in off the bench coming season and watch his progress carefully.

I'm looking to sign players for these positions:

- AMC: To start my games with, so my youngster can develop a little bit further. Needs to be a decent Advanced Playmaker. I have one with decent attributes for this spot, maybe I'll retrain his position and that'll work.

- AMR: Preferably left footed so he can function as an IF.

- a new centre forward: I fear my current guys will be a bit lacking in the step up in competition. Preferably someone with somewhat high composure, work rate, strength and acceleration.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing Stockport would have a fairly high reputation in terms of CN/S clubs so you should be able to get some decent players in. Off the top of my head:

Advanced playmaker

Jordan Goddard

Tony Stokes

Mario Noto

Simon Lenighan

Striker:

Ricky Miller

Noah Keats

Anthony Malbon

Jessy Reindorf

Not sure about an inside forward on the right, as I've only ever used one on the left? Micah Evans I believe has a competent left foot.

I'd just go through all the non league and L2 teams after July 1st to see who has been released.

C&C, out of the North and South sides, which team has the highest wage budget?

Good question. I'd say probably Stockport and Stalybridge in the North, and Ebbsfleet and Bromley in the South. If you wait a season then Hereford are promoted with a quite absurd wage budget.

Yeah, it's a bit of a rude awakening having to play big full time clubs as a little part timer. Are you still using the same tactics that got you promoted, or have you tweaked them?

I did start with the same tactic but have changed it after struggles. I have managed to get in some decent loans from Prem and championship teams that are helping loads and have a sweet regen that is already a first teamer.

The Loanees that I have doing well are Jesse Starkey and George Coles from Brighton, Josimer Quintero from Chelsea. They have been fairly regular players all season

The Regen was through my youth setup.....really surprised at how good he was but the rest of the intake suffered for it :p

CityAndColour - Leamington FC - Conference - 2015/16

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

Have just reached the end of August in the new season, and pleased to report that tactically we still are looking quite good. We're sitting 8th with a 2-5-0 record from the first seven, having conceded only four goals. We've only scored six too, but we're creating chances so I'm confident they will start to get put away at some point.

In terms of transfers, it has been extremely difficult to bring in the required quality, and it's really been a case of just creating squad depth:

Noah Keats - former Exeter striker. I'd prefer better quality up top after Moore left, but he will do a job for now

Darren Mullings - solid central midfielder, good squad player

Nathaniel Pinney - a quick forward who can play right across the front three

Ritchie Branagan - 'keeper with a sole u21 cap for Ireland

Harry Voss - young 'keeper for back up

Jorell Johnson - left-sided centre half from Watford's academy

Ben Starosta - an experienced right back, former Polish u21 international and my DoF's first signing

In fact, the best bit of business we did was to get loan star Ty Smith on a free transfer. There is still a few hours of the transfer window left and we have plenty of budget left so hopefully another signing or two is possible, as well as the free agent window not closing until November.

Here is the regen I mentioned.......in all my time playing FM I have never had a player come into the first team straight away.

MpZhQHw.png

And here is what my assistant manager thinks of him hence his call up so fast.

6DSYzmK.png

About to start my third season as the Stockport head coach and my first in the Vanarama Conference.

Brought in a total of 8 players and hopefully I can challenge for promotion spots.

2 Center forwards:

- Daniel Williams from Reading: A 19 year old with high work rate. Has quite an expensive contract but it's not a big problem.

- Liam Hearn: 30 year old goalscorer. Looking forward to play him.

2 Central Defenders:

- Stephen Last: 24 year old Centre back who was playing for Wrexham Youths

- Jamie Harney: 20 years old, given a free transfer by West Ham but certainly good enough for my team!

2 Wingers:

- Shane O'Connor: 26 years old, can operate all over the left flank

- Mani O'Sullivan: 22 year old left footed who can play in the AMR position. Will be my IF

2 Central Midfielders:

- Lewis Hawkins

- Connor Roberts

Both these guys can operate all over Central midfield and AMC positions. Brought them in to provide some depth in my squad. I'm curious how my new season will go :-)

Pompey - that's a hell of a player, which two clubs are interested in him?

knap - I logged the Hereford issue in the data forum, in that they seem to give ridiculous budgets despite their real life financial woes.

yipster - sounds like a pretty solid off-season, Hearn in particular should bang them in for you if he can stay fit.

So far I'm doing okay in the first couple of weeks. 3 wins and 1 loss. The loss was quite disappointing.. had 20 shots on goal, not 1 goal. Braintree only shot 3 times at goal and 1 went in. One of those 'dominating' games but if you don't score, they will.

Pompey - that's a hell of a player, which two clubs are interested in him?

I believe it is Notts Forest and Palace....I definitely keep getting messages Neil Warnock was in the crowd.

And if I get the price I have pegged him for, I'll be in the money and steering Gosport to glory LOL :D

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

The calendar has just ticked over into December 31st, and we're 27 games into the league season, with a record of 7-13-7 enough for 15th place, nine points clear of relegation.

It's certainly been a grind, as our early form fell away and we have struggled defensively, conceding six at Braintree and four at home to Wycombe, at Kidderminster and at home to Chester in the FA Cup. The latter was particularly galling, as we led 2-1 at half time and a trip to Old Trafford in the third round was the prize on offer.

Since the transfer window shut, we added experienced centre half Chris Smith on a free and Luton striker Mark Cullen on loan, and also have versatile attacker Kurtis Guthrie joining when the January window opens.

Stockport County FC - December Update - 2016-2017

All has been going well lately. We're in second, only 1 point down on Forest Green while still a game behind. Injuries are quite worrying though, 3 key players out for 5 weeks minimum so it's going to be a struggle to keep this kind of form.

I need to look at my defense as we leak goals each game. Maybe set the 2 center midfielders to a DLP(D) and CM(D) so they both hold position in combination with my CD(X) and CD© this should give a stable core.

I don't think I'd be changing anything if I was second in the league! Besides, there are clear issues with defensive marking/reactions on this match engine so I'd be wary of trying to make too many defensive changes.

Are you conceding similar types of goals each game?

It's going to be exciting!

With 12 games to the finish we have 4 teams that are tied for 1st with 63 points!

5EDE14EF6987EB5E12F76B8B817512CAB6CB32EC

And yes, it's always the same *type* of goal.

- I concede far too many goals from corner kicks

- A forward drags my center back out of position (while in his PI it says Close down less) and another forward makes a run in the hole.

- Mani O'Sullivan: Inside Forward operating on the AMR. When he was fit he was a major contribution.

- Daniel Williams: CF who banged in 22 goals and a heap of assists.

- Danny Murray and Connor Roberts: solid midfielders. Murray was with Stockport when I started the battle against relegation and continues to be a constant in my team.

The inconsistency of that young regen proved to be a problem. When a good offer comes in he can go. He can put on a 8.5 performance but a game later only have a 5.8. I need reliability :-)

Leamingtonfcbadge.png

League: 13th

FA Cup: 2nd round (lost to Chester)

FA Trophy: 1st round (lost to Alfreton)

Top scorer: Mark Cullen (22)

Most assists: Ty Smith (15)

Highest average rating: Mark Cullen (7.06)

Fans' player of the season: Danny Newton

---

Up and down in parts, but when we were good we were really good, and a 13th placed finish was probably fair enough on the whole; that being said, our 64 points would have been enough for a top ten finish the previous season. Loan signing Mark Cullen was instrumental in our good runs, finishing equal top scorer in the league, while Jamie Tank found the step up comfortable, leading the league in interceptions, key headers and key tackles.

In reality, we're still carrying a Conference North standard squad, which makes me think we can contend if we can just bring a better standard of player in. Doing so is proving to be difficult though, as our reputation still appears to be the pits.

One quirky fact is we decided the destination of the title on the final day, as our 91st minute equaliser at Halifax handed the crown to Chester.

---

2014/15 - Leamington - Conference North - 1st (promoted as champions)

2015/16 - Leamington - Conference - 13th

Hereford had problems all season with the financial fair play rules and had a transfer embargo. I ended up releasing a load of players to save on wages. FA Cup draw with MU helped finances.

Competitions_Competitions_zps67c71cff.png

I'm starting a save with Gateshead, probably one of the easiest teams to go with in the conference but the reason I picked them was I recently relocated to the North East (I usually play Liverpool or Swindon, used to live/ home town respectively)

Seems fun. I'm racing ahead in the league with Kidderminster so hopefully I'll go up.

Cameron Park is a handy right winger but will want £1k in wages if you can afford that - worth a look. I also signed Jonathyn Quinn from Newcastle who will probably do well as a poacher

ok lads first post in a long time due to moving into a new apartment and no internet for two weeks.. i have been still playing my FC United save and so far so good..

after a great start to the conference premier we struggled in the last 10 games and just finished in the play-off places on the last game despite leading the league coming into new year.. so came the play offs and we seen off barnet in the semis and up came Grimbys Town

2nattsz.png

WERE GOING UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest i was suprised we held on to win the play-offs final but 3 Promotions ina row we have finally gotten FC United to the Football League and the future looks promising if we can stay in league two and hopefully push on up through the leagues..

So im just gonna post a screen shot of my team and hopefully add more as time goes on in terms of league and stats etc..

2iu82vk.png

ftecso.png

any request for screen shots or questions fire away

yipster1986 what logo pack did you download to get FC United logo? i cant find one after looking around on the interent

Archived