I found this painful to watch

In his defense he does say he is a FIFA gamer which spells console to me. Plus as a new FM player myself the game does have a huge learning curve...but to know the other guy was already in your starting XI shouldn't be a surprise or hard to see.

Indeed. Taking the mick out of people trying to learn FM for the first time is pretty harsh. It's a complicated game at times. I'm just lucky that I started playing it in the CM days when it was a little more easy to get into.

I've been subscribed to this guy for a few years now, i used to love playing career mode on Fifa, he covers that genre and that's his comfort zone.

I've been watching his Football Manager 2014 videos as of course i'm a big fan of this game, although... I've also been finding it very hard to watch a complete noob play this game, i find myself shouting at the screen at times...

Everyone was a newbie at one point, try to just ignore his mistakes and instead maybe leave a comment on his video giving some advice? :brock:

Stop to defend him by "noob method". My first FM experience was 2007's demo. I was 11th in the Premier League with Watford on 31 december. Never did such stupid things.

Mine was CM4 and i was always making mistakes, but everyone learns in their own ways.

You can't expect a complete noob to pick up the game instantly.

I've been subscribed to this guy for about a year and a half at least now, and when him starting his FM series is what gave me an interest in it. As a noob to the game (and even relatively new to football in general), it is really complicated.

That being said, learning the basics along with him as he does the series has already been a huge help to me (and he states early on that his intention is to learn the game and maybe help other newbies learn through his mistakes). This game really does have a lot of easily confused mechanics. I've been playing for a week and I've already found myself making really dumb mistakes ("Why does this 4 star player turn into a half star player when I put him into my tactic?? Oh... that's not his position..")

Seeing him make mistakes in his series is not only entertaining to me because I can relate, but it also makes me feel less like a ******** bag of rocks.

I'm sure to veterans of the game his mistakes must seem absolutely ridiculous but he's actually learning quite quickly as people in the comments give him tips. It's hard to just pick up and excel.

I remember when I was a kid playing The F.A. Premier League Football Manager 99, I'd do things like release Wes Brown instead of sell him (or let him develop) and sign free players and immediately sell them even though it only mad eme about £10,000 per player.

I guess these kinds of brain farts occur when you're playing a new game as well as when you're a kid.

I've watched his videos for some time. FM isn't the type of game you try and learn in front of an audience imo. I doubt he really knew what he was getting into and, tbh, I think he's looking at things through fifa shaped lenses. It'll be a while before he gets any competent at FM. For his sake, it's probably better if he tries to do that offline. Especially since I'd imagine he wouldn't receive the best feedback/get the best advice in the comments section on youtube.

When I started on FM05 it was a considerably simpler game than it is now and I only had to adjust to a relatively slow pace of change year on year. Not that it's necessarily that much more complicated to get into nowadays as some of the new features do make things a lot clearer but there's so much to deal with if you don't know what's important (which is admittedly a bit subjective depending on how you play and what aspects of the game you focus on) and what's not. FM really isn't for everyone and I can understand there'd be a bit of a shock if you're used to other games.

I've played the 'Civilization' games on and off over the years (pretty much my only non-FM PC gaming) but eventually got and really enjoy Europa Universalis 3 which I'm sure I'd have really struggled with if I hadn't already watched a lot of LP's which meant I was familiar with most aspects of the game, and while I have no experience of FIFA manager I imagine it's a similar situation of two game series in the same genre but which are otherwise so different that it's not easy getting used to the 'complicated' one if you're used to the 'simple' one.

Still on his first video but as who has had years to get into the game I'm finding it a very interesting insight (with a bit of awkwardness and amusement thrown in) into what it's like trying to play through FM when you're completely unfamiliar with it.

It doesn't help that FM isn't exactly a natural LP game but it can be done and I certainly think Cornf1ake pulls it off very well.

I think this shows how detailed the game is to new players.

Yeah it was funny seeing him try to replace a player who was already in the team and it confusing the hell out of him, but lots of here have been playing for ages and with each new issue we learn more and we have been sort of led gently to where we are now. I must admit that there are things with FM that have confused the hell out of me and from reading these forums I can see that there is lots of really basic stuff still confusing a lot of people. If this bloke has a decent rep as a FIFA video blogger or YouTuber, (or whatever it's called), then it was quite a brave thing for him to try and so this. I personally think he might have bitten off a bit more than he can chew, but good luck to him for trying.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable uploading video footage of my initial forays into CM/FM. (Luckily YouTube hadn't been invented back then).

Going straight with non-Classic was his fault though. :)

Assistants have been given better AI, the interface isn't nowhere near as arcane as used to be, FMC is an optional mode that strips the game down to its basics. Yet a couple things FM assumes straight out of the box:

- somewhat half-decent football knowledge

- the knowledge how to translate that to the game via the UI to an extent, if you don't let the assistant lure you in anyways. From a more recent play through I witnessed first-hand how confusing "fluidity" can still be, and that is no coincidence at all (to an extent I think it was a mistake to bring it into the game the way it is, personally)

However, according to SI they aren't targeting typical gamers anyway, and arguably FM hasn't been a typical video game even back in the CM days. It's meant to be a football product for football fans, and as such going down the Fifa route isn't really that much of an option (FIFA/PES are a fun pastime amongst football people as well, but taken no more serious as a game of cards reportedly). The simulation aspect, the world around you aims to be very detailed and precise. At the same time the entry point is that you don't actually need a coaching badge. There is a huge difference between actually managing, dealing with the daily pressure and players and fans and the board – and being finished with all of that in seconds via a click of the mouse.

Internally the aim for a while has been to be seen as a football product rather than a computer game, so it’s great starting to see that coming to fruition. It’s not really something that we can steer directly though – as people who have grown up with our games are getting into higher positions at clubs, and as others seem to open up their minds a bit to the way technology and crowd sourcing can help them achieve their goals, it’s become a lot more prevalent.

(http://www.operationsports.com/features/1616/qa-with-si-games-studio-director-miles-jacobson/)

Archived