So, what do you guys think of the teams we've seen so far?

noikeee

Knew this thread was coming. Hate it :D

What's wrong with having a discussion about what we think about the teams after round 1? it's a perfectly legitimate discussion to have. There's only 3 games in group stages you know.

My take on Group H has changed after round 1, more even than I had anticipated. Belgium weaker than i thought and the other 3 teams better than i thought, Russia could give Belgium some trouble. If Russia do indeed beat Belgium, could mean some pandemonium in the final matchday

Lot of teams still figuring out what works best for them after the first phase of games. I expect some better performances and accordingly some really interesting games in the second round of group matches.

Got to admit, I'm surprised at how entertaining it's been so far. Had a sneaking suspicion beforehand that this was going to be another stinker of a World Cup, but so far it's been quite enjoyable :thup:

After last night, I'm feeling weirdly confident that Belgium can beat anyone on a good day. Horrible start sure, but we can play so much better than what we showed.

So far I only really fear Germany.

Oddly I can see Belgium beating any of Germany, Portugal, USA or Ghana but could also see them losing to any of them

I don't think so. I'm not saying this because of the Germany Vs Portugal match, but mostly because of the Belgium first match. They seemed too slow. Barely managed to beat Algeria, one of the weakest teams in this WC.

Sorry OP but you can't says what do you think of the teams so far then dismiss Netherlands as being a one off. So far they have been one of the top sides along with Germany imo. Beating SPAIN aka the world champions 5-1 ain't a mean feat no matter how they played.

Brazil looked pretty naff today, as did Belgium. Think at this stage Germany look the strongest side but a european side has never won in South America and the fitness/climate mix could show more in the latter stages.

I'm not rating just how good the teams were, but also the potential i see in them. I'm sure Netherlands are good and it's not strictly a one off but I'm not seeing versatility in playing style and strength in depth, specially when compared to a certain 2 or 3 other teams. Sorry if you don't agree but it's my opinion.

Entirely possible they could smash a few past Australia today again though. Think that match will suit them well again. Against say, Germany, I wouldn't fancy them though.

Mostly basing this on my pre-tournament thoughts but Brazil's performances so far have cemented my thoughts that if they win this trophy they'll be getting there on the strength of the home crowd (and potentially home referee bias if you want to be controversial). They're pure muck as a footballing side though.

What's wrong with having a discussion about what we think about the teams after round 1? it's a perfectly legitimate discussion to have. There's only 3 games in group stages you know.

Only three!? Everything I thought I knew about the World Cup blown apart :(

Its frustrating because you can't judge teams after one game. If Italy draw to Costa Rica, I've no doubt we'll get a bunch of people saying Italy suck and will lose in the round of 16 or something.

Everyone raving about France after the spank a terrible team, for example. If they labour against Ecuador or whoever they're playing next, everyone will change opinion.

I'm not rating just how good the teams were, but also the potential i see in them. I'm sure Netherlands are good and it's not strictly a one off but I'm not seeing versatility in playing style and strength in depth, specially when compared to a certain 2 or 3 other teams. Sorry if you don't agree but it's my opinion.

Entirely possible they could smash a few past Australia today again though. Think that match will suit them well again. Against say, Germany, I wouldn't fancy them though.

Not sure I agree with that. From what I saw against Chile ( which admittedly was only half an hour or so), Australia - while not strictly playing defensively - at least are quite compact, and we tend to struggle against teams like that. So I don't really think today's match really suits us, I think it's gonna be tough breaking them down. Whereas if we were to play Germany at least we'd have more space.

If Italy draw to Costa Rica, I've no doubt we'll get a bunch of people saying Italy suck and will lose in the round of 16 or something.

That was after the Luxembourg game :D

I was under no illusions that that meant pretty much zero in terms of how they'd play in the actual tournament though

Its frustrating because you can't judge teams after one game. If Italy draw to Costa Rica, I've no doubt we'll get a bunch of people saying Italy suck and will lose in the round of 16 or something.

Would that really be that shocking? Costa Rica is underrated. Quite mercurial, but good when they're clicking. Not that I think they're going to advance, but you can't really take a team with recent wins over Uruguay, the US, and Mexico lightly.

I don't think so. I'm not saying this because of the Germany Vs Portugal match, but mostly because of the Belgium first match. They seemed too slow. Barely managed to beat Algeria, one of the weakest teams in this WC.

That's why I said I was confident, because Belgium played probably their worst half in the past two years and they can play MUCH better. WHich they showed near then end of the match.

Beginner nerves and all that. They've been looking forward to this for so long, most of them were probably ******* their pants when they could finally play. Now that the first game is won, they're going to be far more relaxed and ready to play the way they are capable of playing.

ALso, they are much better against strong oppostion then they are against weaker teams. Counter attacking is what they love the most.

The most enjoyable game I've seen was England Italy. Hard to judge teams based on just 1 game though, especially the first game of the tournament.

They could, they struggled because Algeria had 11 men behind the ball. That's always going be tough. Germany actually plays football too, which would give a good game imo.

The most enjoyable game I've seen was England Italy. Hard to judge teams based on just 1 game though, especially the first game of the tournament.

They could, they struggled because Algeria had 11 men behind the ball. That's always going be tough. Germany actually plays football too, which would give a good game imo.

Yeah and they could give German a hell of a beating if they exploit the space like Chile did earlier this year against them.

I'm not sure we could actually beat Germany, but I don't think it would be a walkover either.

Sidenote: what an incredible douche that Muller. Pepe is an utter tool, but the way Muller hit the ground.. my word.. :D

Yeah and they could give German a hell of a beating if they exploit the space like Chile did earlier this year against them.

Belgium have a good side. But whilst I haven't watched that Portugal match myself, just from the basic line-ups both matches can hardly be compared though areas of weakness were certainly more than apparent in that match, which Germany still won, btw. Four centre backs forming a cautious-minded back line, plus Lahm, Kroos and Khedira, finally available again, standing centre. Compare that to the Chile match: http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/303522/teams But then in the coming matches this might all look mightily different again, in parts due to the conditions to which Löw tries to adapt to it seems, but also because of the depth in attacking midfield (would have loved to see the reaction had this sudden switch in tactics against Portugal actually resulted in a loss, btw). And yeah, Belgium are a good side. And Germany are only one of a number of competitors too.

Archived