[FM14] David Beckham goes into management

DavidBeckham

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I imagine you left rather high expectations for your successor to live up to.

Still, with the quality of the squad he should have done better :( Watford is 9th now :(

You'll get there David. Roma wasn't built in a day.

I'll go get my coat.

You won against Lazio, good man! A very positive start so far and I am sure you'll do even better once you have gelled the team.

Thanks lads! Italy is good fun but tough!

180px-AS_Roma_logo_%282013%29.svg.png

November & December 2021/2022 - A.S. Roma

League

SxJy6sD.jpg?1

FThWHqE.jpg?1

I was pleased with the two months' work. The lads were consistent and remained unbeaten in the seven fixtures played. We were held to two consecutive goal-less home draws against Cagliari and Florentina despite dominating and this could be due to us struggling to break down teams who sat deep. However, we were back among the goals in the next three away games and the last game was the pick of the bunch as we dismissed Sassuolo 7-2 away. We stay four points behind Juventus but could go within one point of the title favorites if we win our game in hand. Bologna are now three points behind us having played a game more.

Italian Cup

EQlwBlT.jpg?1

The boys squeezed past Ternana via a Benteke brace but we got the toughest draw in the next round as AC Milan awaits us at San Siro. Not very optimistic for now :(

Europa League

6eWLhat.jpg?1

cuuzh6z.jpg?1

We finish the group stages very strongly with three wins outta three and topped the group with fifteen points. African footballer of the year Abdel Aziz Mohamed was superb for us with two goals in three games. Our superior goal difference meant we finished ahead of Braga to face M. Haifa in the next round.

How is Watford doing?

huI3cxc.jpg?1

Very upset to see more chaos at my old club :( Looks like Pochettino will take the hot seat next..

The signings have settled really well! Salifu in particular (my ex captain at Watford) went straight into the starting 11 and did really well for me so far as the team's ball winner :D Pochettino has taken over at Watford and their results have improved!

January 2021/2022 - A.S. Roma

League

iyx6OgQ.jpg?1

ilPry1a.jpg?1

It was another pleasing month as we stay unbeaten for the whole of January. We began with a narrow win against Catania at home before a disappointing goal-less draw at Bologna. It was goals galore in the next two games as we beat Sampdoria and AC Milan with the same scoreline (4-2). The boys wrapped up the month in great form, bagging 5 at Olimpico against Palermo and conceding none.

The teams around us were in great form as we stayed four points behind the leaders Juventus with a game in hand. In addition, Napoli can leapfrog us into second place if they win their game in hand. On a positive note, barring a total collapse in the remaining matches, we should be back in the Champions League next season \o/

Italian Cup

GoLKEFX.jpg?1

Dq4J72X.jpg?1

The boys were brilliant in the two fixtures played in January. One club man Romagnoli bagged a brace despite playing at center-back as we produced the best display of the season yet against AC Milan in a brilliant 5-0 victory. Captain Amidu Salifu inspired the team to a 2-1 victory in the quarter-finals against Bologna and we are now in the semi-finals!

Signing

CYuuG0M.jpg?1

We did not make any immediate signings in the transfer window but Argentinian striker Antonio Romero was signed in advance and he will join us from Monaco in July next year. The signing was made in consideration of the ageing Benteke (he is 31 this year); and Langston will go back to Watford next season, leaving us with only 1 quality false nine.

February 2021/2022 - A.S. Roma

League

Hc1FYsV.jpg?1

qPvor5A.jpg?1

There were four fixtures in February and the lads kicked off the month with a 3-0 away win at Parma before bringing their good form back to Olimpico in a 4-0 home victory against Pescara. False 9 Gaston Mederos bagged three goals in the two league games as mentioned above. We were again victorious at Udinese after hanging on to a 2-1 win before the tense 0-0 draw against our title rivals Juventus at Olimpico.

We currently sit third behind Napoli and Juventus on 60 points after 26 games. Leaders Napoli are now one point ahead of us while Juventus, having played a game more, sits in 2nd place due to their better head to head record against us.

Italian Cup

Vg0fai6.jpg?1

We are in the finals! The lads dismissed their opponents in the semi-finals with ease as we progressed after a 4-0 aggregate win. Sassuolo awaits us in the final \o/

Europa League

9Ccxygn.jpg?1

The boys kept up their good form in the cup competitions with a 6-1 aggregate victory against M. Haifa. The task was made easier after a comfortable 4-1 away win in the first leg. Rubin will be our opponents in the next round.

March 2021/2022 - A.S. Roma

League

5Svl6zy.png

1XSEFlv.png

The lads were in great domestic form throughout the month, bagging twelve points out of twelve in four league games. Benteke was the star of the month, scoring six in only four games and I was glad to see him pick up his form in such a crucial stage of the season. The Belgian striker was moaning for a move away from Roma in search of Champions League football at the start of season and submitted a transfer request. I accepted his request but no clubs came in for him, causing his morale to plummet. He finally came to his senses this month and decided to withdraw his request and his form rose along with his morale.

kfdlevM.jpg

After a magnificent March, we are now in top spot, a solitary point ahead of Napoli. Juventus dropped some crucial points and are now four points behind us in third place despite having played a game extra. At the other end of the table, there is a staggering seventeen points difference between 17th and 18th place and I have not seen anything like that :eek:

Europa League

nbQ9FTy.png

We managed to progress further in the competition after knocking out Rubin to face HSV in the quarter-finals. The first leg was in Germany and having conceded a goal from a corner against the run of play, the boys fought back well to score the important away goal to secure a 1-1 draw. It was a good position to be in going into the second leg at Olimpico \o/

Season Review 2021/2022 - A.S. Roma

League

Remaining Fixtures (April & May) Final Table (Winners)

To be honest, we stumbled across the finishing line really as the boys struggled to score goals in our last two months of the season. Nevertheless, I was pleased to finish top on 88 points as the media only tipped us to finish fifth. It was also worthy to note that there is a staggering 19 points difference between the 3rd and 4th placed teams in the Serie A this season.

Awards

sdmLWyo.png

Our number one Simone Colombi won the Goalkeeper of the year and it was certainly well-deserved as we conceded only 18 goals in 38 league games.

cD45FoC.png

This was pleasing as well because it meant that we won the league fair and square :D

OamZKc7.png

5 out of 11 in the Team of the Year \o/

OS2B5vC.png

:)

Qinb4jT.png

Last but not least, I was very proud to see my first-choice left winger win the Player of the Season award :D

Italian Cup (Winners)

ifNGAGU.png

The lads had a very good year in the Italian Cup as we conceded a mere two goals in seven games on our way to lift the trophy. The final was harder than I would've liked it to be though, the boys needed extra-time to seal a 2-0 win against Sassuolo. Two of our best players (Savitskiy and Salifu) scored on the day when it mattered the most.

Europa League (Beaten finalists)

31IdqR7.png

K8rnpAd.png

I was beaten in a European final again! Having lost in the Champions League final last season with Watford, I was determined to go one better in the Europa League this time round but it was not to be. AC Milan scored from two crosses which were poorly defended and the front players were unable to put the chances away on a bad day.

Squad Analysis

Squad Stats

The 23 men squad coped really well with the busy campaign as we had to travel around Europe in the Europa League. Due to lack of funds at the start of the season, I had to bring in 3 players on loan to bolster the squad and all of them made significant contributions in a successful season.

First 11

This is very much my first 11 throughout the season and they are the ones who made the most number of appearances in their positions. For you Markymark886 :)

Top 3 Players

Pavel Savitskiy

My most productive attacking player this season. Pavel finished the season with 19 goals and 28 assists from left wing and was also the player with the most number of appearances (50 starts and 5 substitute appearances).

Amidu Salifu

Amidu followed me from Watford and I was pleased to see him slot so seamlessly into life at Rome. The Ghanaian was superb as the team's ball-winner and was able to contribute 8 goals from midfield as well. One of my signings of the season.

Alessio Romagnoli

Much of the team's brilliant defensive record this season was down to this guy. Alessio was solid at the left-side of our central defense and was able to bag 7 goals from set-pieces as well. He has played his football in Rome his whole life and will surely go on to be a club legend like Totti.

How is my former club doing?

GP7fI62.png

After the early season turmoil, the appointment of Pochettino turned their season around. They managed to finish 4th in the league after a disappointing start and reached the finals of FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League. Not too bad at all. Despite losing out in both domestic cup finals, I was very proud to see the lads lift the Champions League trophy again :applause:

Future Plans

MRIuPct.png

A very tempting offer. Leverkusen finished 6th in the league and are looking for a change in management. I still remember the great side in the early 2000s when they lost to that brilliant Zidane volley in the Champions League final. Should I stay at Roma and try to win the Champions League or should I continue the football education in Germany?

What would Becks do? Stay in Rome, obvs. You still have a lot to do -

* sort out Roma's finances with a team that can be glorious for years

* win a European cup with Roma

* build a new stadium to increase the revenue streams

* bask in Italian sun while your missus advances her career in Milan

Preseason 2022/2023 - A.S. Roma

Board Expectations

Serie A: Qualify for Europa League

Champions League: Reach First Knockout Round

Italian Cup: Not important

Italian Super Cup: Not important

Very reasonable expectations from the board again this season. Despite finishing top of Serie A last season, they have stated that they would be happy with some form of European football next season. We are also back in Champions League this season and the board's expectations in Europe's elite competition were similar to mine. Similar to last season, the domestic cup competitions were of little interest to the board.

Budgets

Transfer: 52.91 million pounds

Wages: 1.6 million pounds

After scrimping and saving last year, the board has finally decided to pour in some money to the club and I will certainly be splashing the cash this season in our bid to win the Champions League eventually.

Transfers

E2j6r6d.jpg

Corbould and Lanoix were again signed on season-long loans to provide cover in central midfield. With the cash to splash, I aimed to strengthen in a few positions, namely DR, ML and ST. In addition, with only 4 Italians in our 23 men squad last season, I made signing Italian players my priority this summer.

Signings

Samuele Morra

I wasn't planning to make changes to our duo of midfield raiders but when the little Italian became available at such a cheap price, I couldn't resist. On top of being extremely brave and agile, Morra can pick a pass and he will compete with last year's Asian player of the year Mohamed for game time in the 'Frank Lampard' role.

Marco Scalisi

Last year's backup right back was offloaded as he was on the decline. Marco will be our new backup in the same position and the fact that he's Italian made my decision to bring him in easier.

Vladyslav Shkavron

The speedy 19 year old can develop into a solid little player if he can steer clear of injuries. He will provide backup to last year's player of the season and this year's club captain Savitskiy.

Roberto Pecci

Without shadow of a doubt, Pecci is our biggest signing of the off season. After our struggle for goals towards the end of last season, I wanted to strengthen our striking department badly. However, it was a tough decision to break the bank for the Italian striker. Nevertheless, Roberto is the ideal team player and has tremendous movement, strength and work rate. I really hope that he can hit the ground running and grab a few important goals for us this season.

Preseason Friendlies

k9ophmz.jpg

We traveled to USA for our preseason tour to boost Roma's popularity in that region. After a boring run of meaningless friendlies, AC Milan awaits us in the tough opening fixture of the season!

August to November 2022/2023 - A.S. Roma

League

NNMs0aa.jpg

qIpmCA9.jpg

It wasn't the best of starts as we won 9, drew 3 and lost 2 in our first 14 games. The boys were unable to bag all three points in our first league game of the season as we were held to a 1-1 draw at San Siro against AC Milan. Three consecutive wins against Bologna, Parma and Atalanta followed before we were brought back down to earth at Udinese as the lads got beaten 2-4.

We bounced back again with 5 straight wins before a disappointing 2-2 home draw against Lazio. Inter Milan made things worse in the next game as we dropped more points at San Siro. Two wins and a draw in our last three games of November brought us to within 4 points of leaders Napoli in third place. Juventus stays a point ahead of us while Udinese is breathing down our necks in fourth place with a game in hand.

UEFA Champions League

KjsZAPo.jpg

kDxqoAj.jpg

We were in better form in Europe as the lads won 4 out of 5 group games so far. My first season back in Europe's elite competition saw us come face to face with my former club Watford. The trip back to England was an emotional one as we dropped two points against most of my former players. Nevertheless, we stayed top of the group and a draw against the Hornets will see both of us through to the knock-out stages.

Italian Super Cup

RojerYe.jpg

We managed to bag our first silverware of the season with a 3-0 win against Sassuolo in the Italian Super Cup. Our opponents had only one shot all game as our defense kept them at bay brilliantly. Mederos, Reyna and Pavlik all found the net as we lifted the cup on home soil.

Two Juves in the same division.

Juve Stabia just got promoted! But they are really struggling in the league, losing 12 out of 17 games :(

What are the odds to be drawn in the same group as your former club and for you both to qualify?! A couple of big teams missing from Serie A. Sampdoria?

I couldn't believe it when it happened too! Sampdoria has been a yoyo team for the past few years, they went down last season after finishing 18th!

December 2022/2023 - A.S. Roma

League

NP2CbsN.jpg

1dDoHVQ.jpg

Unlike the busy December in England, there were only three league fixtures in the last month of the year. Without shadow of a doubt, the star of the month has to be our most expensive summer signing, Roberto Pecci. Having spent a big portion of our budget on the Italian False Nine, I was delighted to see him beginning to pay back the huge transfer fee. Roberto scored five goals in three December fixtures, helping the team to all nine points.

We are now 2nd in Serie A, behind leaders Udinese on goal difference. On a positive note, we have a game in hand and can leapfrog our rivals into 1st if we get a result. Napoli are a further point behind in 3rd place.

UEFA Champions League

c2dhaVo.jpg

HwkYHSF.jpg

We only had a game to look forward to in Europe this month and it doesn't come any bigger than a clash with my former club Watford at home. A point would see us through as leaders but the boys went one better to beat the Hornets 2-0. Watford looked very dangerous in the first half but they failed to score from their well-crafted chances. After giving the hairdryer at half-time, the lads came out fighting and scored two quick goals to give us a comfortable 2-0 lead. The game saw no more goals as we finished top with 16 points from 6 games.

Despite finishing top, we were handed a very tough tie at Barcelona in the first knock-out round. We will have to play very well to progress further in the Champions League this year.

Italian Cup

n7H4Eph.jpg

Having conceded the opening goal, the lads did well to come back and beat Pescara 4-1 at Olympico. Pavlik towered home from a corner to equalize before Reyna fired powerfully past the keeper to give us the lead. New signing Shkavron scored straight with a cross shot before Lanoix finished with aplomb to wrap up the score. A tough tie awaits us in the next round at rivals Napoli.

Good luck in that tough Barca tie.

I tried so hard to finish top of the group to avoid the big guns but.. :(

Looking very good on all fronts so far :thup:

Thanks mate! Satisfied with how things are going so far but we are very badly hit with injuries at the moment :(

January & February 2022/2023 - A.S. Roma

League

154Hkeo.jpg

Hhu2rvU.jpg

We were unbeaten throughout the two months, bagging 24 points out of a possible 30. I was disappointed to concede a late equalizer in the 2-2 home draw against AC Milan. Morra and Shkavron put us 2-1 ahead before Corbould gave the ball away cheaply to cost us two valuable points. Four other points were dropped in two tough away games against Napoli and Atalanta.

After two pleasing months, we are now four points clear of our nearest rivals Napoli. A.C. Milan are third with 58 points from 27 games. Juventus is incredibly solid in defense as they conceded a mere 14 goals so far (8 less than our goals against), but lie fourth due to their deficiency upfront.

UEFA Champions League

wFZrcrn.jpg

We played the first leg of the First Knockout Round in Spain against Barcelona and came away with a solid result. The Spaniards dominated most of the opening exchanges and their pressure paid off after the 35 year old Messi pounced home. The boys managed to keep the ball a little better after the poor start and we managed to equalize via a composed finish by Straka. I remain hopeful that we can finish the job back at Olimpico in the second leg. Wish me luck!

Italian Cup

XkVrBw1.jpg

We are back in the final! The boys were brilliant in the quarter-finals against Napoli, beating the Italian giants 3-1 with goals from Lanoix, Pavlik and Romagnoli. Florentina were our semi-finals opponents and after a dull goal-less draw in the first leg, Romero and Straka both scored at Olimpico to send us through to our second consecutive Italian Cup final!

January signings

Mouhamadou Diedhiou

With both our first-choice right winger and midfield raider out for a few months, we needed cover in the two positions and Mouhamadou offers exactly that. Diedhiou has bags of ability and can pick out a player from anywhere on the pitch. I was very pleased to sign a player of such quality on loan.

Francesco Machetti

With Salifu injured for a long time and his return date coinciding with his African Cup of Nations call-up, we were desperately for a new ball-winner. The board poured in more money due to our better financial position and I was able to splash the cash on another Italian. Machetti is one of the best passers around the country and fits well into our philosophy with his high work rate. He will go straight into the first team \o/

Season Review 2022/2023 - A.S. Roma

League

Remaining Fixtures (March to May) Final Table (Winners)

We led for most parts of the season and delivered the title in style with five wins in our last five fixtures. Unlike last season, we managed to peak at the right time and dropped a mere five points in our last eleven games. A.C Milan, Napoli and Juventus took up the remaining Champions League places while Solskjaer's Inter had to settle for 5th place.

Awards

Z4r0uG6.jpg

I was proud to see my wing wonder bag his second consecutive Serie A Player of the Year and it was well-deserved :applause:

Q3lWCIW.jpg

It was certainly pleasing to see fans flocking back to watch the team \o/

cAJrN5C.jpg

We bagged the Goalkeeper and Defender of the year as well :D

er501Sl.jpg

6 out of 11 in the Team of the Year this time round \o/

EP8F1fA.jpg

:)

kg9Oebe.jpg

Last season's signing Straka came good this year after Reyna's injury hit season. He played himself into the first choice right wing spot and finished the season with 15 assists in 28 league games.

Italian Cup (Winners)

TqqyshF.jpg

I was pleased to win it again this season! The boys beat Pescara, Napoli, Florentina and AC Milan to lift the Italian Cup for the second consecutive year \o/

UEFA Champions League (Champions)

6ixVD8W.jpg

Last summer, I knew our squad wouldn't be capable of going the distance in Europe's elite competition and that was when I decided to splash the cash. 85 million pounds were spent on a total of 8 players throughout the season and it was now a matter of gelling the players in time for the big games. Thankfully, the players settled quick and we overcame tough opponents like Barcelona, Watford (yes, them again!) and Napoli before facing the mighty Chelsea in the final.

TnoNHzc.jpg

rxBdBkn.jpg

We went two nil down very quickly in the first half after some slack defending at set-pieces. Our top scorer Pecci pulled one back before half-time when I gave the much needed hair-dryer. The lads came out fighting and finally in the 82nd minute, substitute Mohamed slammed home the equalizer to send our fans crazy. Chelsea had used up all their substitutes when Uros Kovjenic got injured and the Blues had to play the extra-time with ten men. We took full advantage and further goals from Lanoix and Pavlik won us the biggest trophy of all!

Squad Analysis

Squad Stats

With so many new players coming in, the key to a successful season lies in the speed at which they gel together as a team. Thankfully, the boys didn't disappoint and despite being badly hit with injuries in December, we managed to hit top form towards the end of the season and bag Roma's first ever Champions League.

First 11

The first 11 with the most number of appearances for those who requested :)

Top 3 Players

Pavel Savitskiy

SG2oIkh.jpg

Once again, Pavel finds himself in my top 3 players of the season. He continued from where he left off last season and finished with 16 goals and 29 assists in all competitions. Certainly the most productive winger I have ever worked with throughout my career.

Augustin Pavlik

The towering Slovakian had been an ever-stay in the first 11 throughout the season, making 44 starts and 4 substitute appearances. Apart from his timely interceptions and powerful headed clearances, Augustin found time to gallop up the field to knock in 14 goals from set-pieces and played himself into my top 3 players of the season.

Roberto Pecci

OxfkTDe.jpg

I had doubts when I had to fork out 27.5 million pounds for this man but he repaid most of his transfer fees in one season. Roberto was eased into the first team at the beginning and made only 28 starts throughout the season. However, his excellent goal-scoring record made it hard for me to drop him and the Serie A top scorer finished the season with 28 goals in as many starts. Very impressive first season.

How is my former club doing?

Watford finished 2nd in the Premier League, seven points behind champions Man City and maintained their status as one of the top clubs in England. Their only piece of silverware came in the Capital One Cup where they beat Man United 2-0 in the final. The Hornets failed to progress beyond the fourth round in the FA Cup after a surprising 1-0 defeat at home to Crystal Palace. Of course in the Champions League, I was the culprit who knocked my former club out of the competition in the quarters.

Future Plans

I said I would consider leaving for pastures new if I win the Champions League with Roma and that was what I did. Looking at the Job Center, there aren't any attractive jobs available apart from the Sevilla and Leeds United hot seats. Should I go for either of them? Or should I stay? It was also interesting to note that Brendan Rodgers is currently in charge at Dortmund and his job status is insecure. I may try to declare interest to see if the Germans are interested ;)

Well done David, a great win against Chavski, always good to see them lose out.

I'm not really keen on Sevilla, Leeds would be interesting though but Beckham at Leeds? Dortmund would be great though, I would like to follow a Dortmund update.

Great stuff! Really pleased your Roman holiday went to plan and you got the big ears!

I would go to Sevilla *iff* their finances and squad allow for a European place finish. The stadium looks decent and you will have a hard time breaking the Spanish duo(tri?)poly. Otherwise, I'd keep Borrusia's strategy of hiring young hip managers intact and join them :p

Well done David, a great win against Chavski, always good to see them lose out.

I'm not really keen on Sevilla, Leeds would be interesting though but Beckham at Leeds? Dortmund would be great though, I would like to follow a Dortmund update.

I want to try out in another big league (La Liga or Bundesliga) so I am ruling Leeds out :D And sadly, Dortmund is sticking with Rodgers for the time being :(

Great stuff! Really pleased your Roman holiday went to plan and you got the big ears!

I would go to Sevilla *iff* their finances and squad allow for a European place finish. The stadium looks decent and you will have a hard time breaking the Spanish duo(tri?)poly. Otherwise, I'd keep Borrusia's strategy of hiring young hip managers intact and join them :p

Thanks for your valuable advice as usual rodesire :D Sevilla would be a tough challenge!

Wow, great treble, I imagine you've lost a bit of hero status at Watford though :D

Thanks mate :) I am still under Watford's Legends list :brock:

Well done till now. I read everything in a day, and I'm glad you did very good jobs in your clubs, specially those underdogs like Blackpool and Watford. And your success in teams like Man Utd (I hate them :p as being an Arsenal fan boy) and Roma.

Just a question, after being pushed to buy others FM's games (I own the 2009 version), I'm enchanted by the FM14, want to buy it, or can I wait till the FM15?

Stay away from Leeds!

You still need to return to Preston ;)

I am definitely staying away from England until I experienced life in Spain and Germany! ;)

Well done on the clean sweep :thup:

Do you not want to win the Club World Cup first before leaving?

Serie A and Champions League were the big ones I wanted to win before leaving Rome! :brock:

Well done till now. I read everything in a day, and I'm glad you did very good jobs in your clubs, specially those underdogs like Blackpool and Watford. And your success in teams like Man Utd (I hate them :p as being an Arsenal fan boy) and Roma.

Just a question, after being pushed to buy others FM's games (I own the 2009 version), I'm enchanted by the FM14, want to buy it, or can I wait till the FM15?

Thanks krakonico! Hope you continue to follow this!

Well, FM14 is awesome in my opinion, but with FM15 scheduled for release before Christmas (demo will be out even earlier), I wouldn't recommend purchasing the older version. Hopefully the FM14 demo can keep you occupied till then :D

Fabulous season Becksie.

Thanks again Nobbielegend :D

Archived