[FM14] David Beckham goes into management

DavidBeckham

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck this season. Some good signings too :thup:.
Can't complain at 2nd really! A great seasons performance :thup:
Come on Golden Balls how much time do you need to make Victoria and the boys suffer in that s..t hole? :herman:

Cheers lads! Still struggling to keep up with Chelsea though :(

Very solid signings, love the right-back, especially when you consider you got him for nothing.

We were on the verge of signing him two seasons ago but he chose Feyenoord. Glad to see him realize his mistake so soon! :D

I think you missed pressing the space button once in that sentence. :D

No I didn't miss the space :D

7uQNVvR.jpg?1

August to December 2019/2020 - Watford

League

ZEEW4fE.jpg?1

YS30rHg.jpg?1

It is the same old story this season and we are playing catch up to Chelsea yet again! Despite us doing very well in the first half of the season (only one defeat so far), the Blues improved further and dropped a mere five points in eighteen games. We were again great defensively, conceding only nine goals in 18 games, two less than the defending champions.

M4XCoGN.jpg?1

Chelsea's attacking prowess were way ahead of us though, scoring 46 goals in only 18 games. No matter how frustrating the chase for our second league title is, we have overachieved yet again as the media tipped us to finish only 5th this season. In addition, considering the fact that our Salary Per Year and Net Transfer Spend were only midtable-ish, I had to be pleased with the start so far :)

Capital One Cup

qaLR5aS.jpg?1

So far so good. I was gutted to face Man City so early on but the lads were brilliant in a 2-1 away win. We managed to squeeze past Cardiff and Swansea in the next two rounds and a semi-final clash with Southampton awaits us. With most of the big teams out of the competition, I would be really disappointed if we do not win it from here.

Champions League

IMqbIzi.jpg?1

aXycQ5q.jpg?1

We are getting better! With the likes of Real Madrid and Inter Milan in our group, we managed to finish top and unbeaten miraculously. This was helped by our solid defense as the boys managed to keep four clean sheets in the 6 group games. Olympique Lyonnais awaits us in the knock-out rounds \o/

Amazing progress in the first half of the season. Just keep on getting those points in the league, AI likes to crumble spectacularly when you expect it the least. Oh and that CL group win - superb, a shame you lost a coefficient point against Plzen though..

Amazing progress in the first half of the season. Just keep on getting those points in the league, AI likes to crumble spectacularly when you expect it the least. Oh and that CL group win - superb, a shame you lost a coefficient point against Plzen though..

Thanks mate! I can't really complain with our form so far but I am still waiting patiently for Chelsea's blip :D And we dominated so much against Viktoria at home but just couldn't find the all important goal :(

7uQNVvR.jpg?1

Season Review 2019/2020 - Watford

League

Remaining Fixtures (January to May) Final Table (Winners)

What a fantastic season! In the end, we managed to win the title by a solitary point via the help of our solid defense. We conceded 18 goals all season and despite trailing to Chelsea in terms of goals scored, we ended up with a much better goal difference. It was my second league title with the Hornets and I was elated :D

Awards

EAEd09g.jpg?1

Was again proud to see our players make the team of the year \o/

lvrkkUZ.jpg?1

:)

YmAlEC4.jpg?1

Butland was again the deserving winner after keeping out so many teams this season.

9LAYmJK.jpg?1

Worth a mention and it was a brilliant chip from the English striker.

tykCOWf.jpg?1

A very well-deserved award for the brilliant Romanian.

FA Cup (Semi-finals)

renqH6g.jpg?1

Players failed to cope with the fixtures pile up and we were halted in the semi-finals by Liverpool eventually.

Champions League (Winners)

060D1Pr.jpg?1

What a fantastic cup run! We overcame the likes of Lyon, Chelsea and Bayern Munich on our way to the final and the boys were unbelievable at times.

jExh7NY.jpg?1

Certainly the most exciting game of football I have experienced in my career so far! We were trailing 1-2 until Salifu pounced in the 90th minute to level for us, sending the crowd into ruptures.

R8vnqPs.jpg?1

With both teams expecting extra-time, Woodrow had other ideas as he continued his knack of scoring wonder goals by scoring an absolute beauty as shown in the screenshot above.

rqoA4zc.jpg?1

Very pleased to see my boys make the TOTY again :D

League Cup (Winners)

OAMzOal.jpg?1

Despite many teams neglecting this competition, I was always serious about winning this and played my strongest team as often as I could. Was delighted with my second League Cup with Watford \o/

Squad Analysis

Squad Stats

What a fantastic season! What surprised me the most was how the new signings settled so quickly and they were crucial in a trophy-laden season.

Top 3 Players

Nicusor Stanciu

0rmdsNb.jpg?1

He was having an ok season in the central midfield raider role before we ran out of strikers after an injury crisis. I had no choice but to shift Stanciu upfront and his season took off from there and the classy midfielder ended up with 21 goals and 21 assists. Looking back, it was amazing how I decided to sign this guy two seasons ago. I wasn't too keen until Arsenal were interested and due to me not wanting them to strengthen any further, I proceeded to poach him and the rest is history :)

Giacomo Ruggiero

His first full season as a regular was superb as he formed a solid partnership with the equally impressive Hrvoje Calusic. One of the best tacklers to have played for Watford and he's only 20 \o/

Valentin Couturier

A 35 million pound signing at the beginning of this season and I wasn't sure if Valentin was worth that massive transfer fee. The Frenchman paid back every penny after an absolutely superb season in the midfield anchor role. He was productive at the other end too and ended the season with 11 goals and 3 assists.

Future Plans

N2ZCMay.jpg?1

A tad disappointed that the new stadium isn't named after me. On the bright side, I was pleased to see the club attracting more fans to watch them after a great season :D

..and perhaps I should leave on a high?

200px-Watford.svg.png

Preseason 2020/2021 - Watford

Club's Progress

p6wGwsm.jpg?1

After a pleasing season, the club progressed greatly and it showed what a Champions League win can do to a club. The club attendance continued to rise and that prompted plans for a new stadium, even though it won't be named after me :(

Y2MmEQf.jpg?1

And Watford is the 8th richest club in the world \o/

W8oCWuj.jpg?1

This is unbelievable though, Watford > Bayern?! I was tempted to leave the club on a high but no suitable jobs were available at the end of last season. It is highly possible that this would be my last season at Vicarage Road.

Board Expectations

English Premier League: Challenge for title

UEFA Champions League: Semi Final

FA Cup: Final

Capital One Cup: Not important

European Super Cup: Winners

English Community Shield: Not important

With the club's rapid progress, expectations soared this season and it would be real tough trying to meet every single one of them.

Budgets

Transfer: 49.25 million pounds

Wages: 1.7 million pounds

The board is once again very supportive but we gotta start producing more players from our academy. Since I joined the club, two ball winners and an outstanding left-back have made the first-team and I am looking to improve this further.

Transfers

2SlXfYG.jpg?1

It was three in three out this time round. I didn't want Joel Ward to leave but he wanted a four year contract at 30 years of age, which is very impractical. It may be surprising to see Stanciu leave after a great season but his replacement is top class and I wanted to stop him from joining Man City ;) In addition, 26.5 million pounds for a 27 year old is decent money and the Romanian joined for a mere 13 million pounds two seasons ago. Lastly, Dybala's development stalled after some terrible injuries and I sanctioned his departure so as to make room for an upgrade in our striking department.

Signings

Roman Caceres

Roman is the big money signing this summer and at only 20 years of age, he can go on to be one of the greatest strikers in world football. Despite his already fantastic ability, he will be eased into the first team with caution.

Matteo Cattaneo

I realized that there is a real lack of quality right-backs around world football at the moment as I struggled to find the player of the right quality to replace Joel Ward. Eventually, I decided on a promising Italian in Matteo as I admired work rate and teamwork. He will be back-up to last season's transfer coup in Joao Brito.

David Weibel

This is the player whom I had to stop Man City from poaching at all costs. David has unbelievably quick feet and is one of the best passers in world football at the moment. A no-brainer at 15 million pounds.

Preseason Friendlies

tP6NuUY.jpg?1

After dragging myself through pre-season, we are once again ready for the Community Shield. Bring on Liverpool \o/

Scary that your career is starting to sound like mine :D

Even getting new stadiums the same year

No wonder I enjoy reading your thread so much :D

As if Watford ever win anything.

that's the point of this game isn't it? ;)

200px-Watford.svg.png

August to October 2020/2021 - Watford

Community Shield

4UwUhHF.jpg?1

I wasn't very happy to lose this! There was nothing much between the two teams but Liverpool were sharper and we lost to a Varane header from a well-taken corner.

League

6tYPXlk.jpg?1

cUJuAo1.jpg?1

I couldn't complain about the start! After ten games, we won eight and lost two and sit three points clear of our nearest rivals Chelsea. However, it must be noted that apart from Man United, we haven't faced the bigger teams yet and we could drop more points in the next few games.

Capital One Cup

TkyB1Bl.jpg?1

So far so good! We managed to avoid the big teams in the draws so far and the lads will look forward to the quarter-final against Blackburn at Vicarage Road.

Champions League

CdPJOgi.jpg?1

Nbduouu.png?1

The boys have played some brilliant football so far in Europe this season. We have been electric, winning three out of three (including two away games as well) and are in a strong position to finish top of the group.

Super Cup

q4t12Kp.jpg?1

It was my first Super Cup final of the save and the lads didn't disappoint as we ran out deserved 3-0 winners. Sinisa Lakic has been in brilliant form so far and the Serbian winger bagged three goals to help us to a comfortable victory \o/ All in all, it has been the best start to a season in the save so far and long may it continue!

Stunning start to the season, Lakic and Caceres are balling hard! I hope Liverpool win nothing this year for spoiling your Community Shield party :| Do you reckon you will need any new players in January to keep up the pace?

Stunning start to the season, Lakic and Caceres are balling hard! I hope Liverpool win nothing this year for spoiling your Community Shield party :| Do you reckon you will need any new players in January to keep up the pace?

They have been great so far! Nope I am not expecting to spend in January unless we get unlucky with long term injuries :)

Not with the club I manage. :(

Yours is the toughest challenge ever Nobby, really admire your longevity!

Bit late for that :D

Haha they are 5th :D

Ah, the Community Shield, where you lose even when you win. :D

Dominant form in the other comps, Becks!

Community Shield was an unlucky one :(

I can't complain about the start though Cheers mate!

Excellent season.
Brilliant season you had there, especially considering how good Chelsea seem to be in the league :thup:

Cheers guys! After seasons of progress I am finally able to say our squad is able to compete with that of Chelsea's :)

200px-Watford.svg.png

November to January 2020/2021 - Watford

YPoxYNs.jpg?1

I would like to start off the update by saying I am extremely proud to see Roman Caceres bag the European Golden Boy award. He settled so well so quickly and is arguably the best player I have ever managed on this save.

3WQNk7T.jpg?1

Looking at his stats so far this season, it really couldn't get any better as he scored 28 goals in 27 starts and created a total of 7 goals. If Roman can stay injury-free, I am pretty sure he will go on to bag the Ballon d'Or \o/

League

IaELPlI.jpg?1

HZ0hXiI.jpg?1

The boys have been terrific so far! We stayed unbeaten after 24 games, winning 19 and drawing 5. Despite us not being the league's highest scorers, we were again the best team defensively as we conceded 11 goals in total so far. We are now in a comfortable position, 8 points clear of Chelsea and barring a total collapse, we should go on and win the league for the second consecutive season.

Capital One Cup

HZIuj6f.jpg?1

Apart from the Community Shield loss, this was the biggest disappointment so far. We crashed out after a shocking 1-0 home defeat against Blackburn. It was hugely my fault as I rested all my first choice players and this complacency cost us the Cup.

Champions League

8PjvBX2.jpg?1

omSFJOM.jpg?1

We topped our group for the second consecutive season with 16 points, winning five and drawing one against PSG at Vicarage Road. Malaga awaits us in the first knock-out round and I would be really disappointed if we fail to progress into the quarter-finals.

FA Cup

gqR0vtM.jpg?1

The lads did well to progress into the quarter-finals after two potentially tricky away ties against Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield. However, we got the toughest draw in the next round as Jose Mourinho prepares to visit Vicarage Road with his mighty Blues.

Club World Championship

aP22IU2.jpg?1

To end off, we managed to win our first ever Club World Championship! It was easier than I thought it would be as the Hornets scored 6 and conceded none in two games. With this, I have completed the clean sweep with Watford and won every competition possible. Is it time to move on?

Thanks Beckham. You may want to heard over to my thread.

What a decision mate!

Yeah, gotta move on. Posh is not happy with her living, that's for sure..

Speaking of screenshots, they look off-colour and almost badly scanned, any reason for that?

Can't bear to leave the squad which I painstakingly built over the years though :*(

I grew bored of the original screenshots and decided to play around with the artistic effects, are they that bad? :lol:

Great career so far! Hope you don't run out of emotion too soon!!!

Thanks mate! This save will go on till FM15 is released :D

200px-Watford.svg.png

Season Review 2020/2021 - Watford

League

Remaining Fixtures (February to May) Final Table (Winners)

GumqTGu.jpg?1

Best league season so far on this save! This is really built on our solid defense as we conceded a mere 16 goals in 38 games. Really proud to have beaten Chelsea's record points total in the league \o/

Awards

0XiBew2.jpg?1

5 out of 11 (and 1 on the bench) in the team of the year \o/

QBHKMak.jpg?1

:)

OYxT0Gv.jpg?1

Third consecutive golden glove for the brilliant English shot stopper <3

ucLmTHN.jpg?1

Very well-deserved for the best player I have ever managed in my career so far.

l1rFdog.jpg?1

Amazing goal return from a false nine ;)

9EKekOz.jpg?1

Another top performer in the league this season. Impressive number of assists from the Serbian winger!

FA Cup (Beaten finalists)

j4Gbphh.jpg?1

8IF8bgw.jpg?1

Shocking 16-17 penalty loss in the final against Liverpool. (Yes, them again!) The success rate of penalties is definitely too high on FM14 as proven by this shoot out. Lost on the lottery and I couldn't really complain as these things happen in football.

Champions League (Beaten finalists)

seRWyCu.jpg?1

For a team so defensively sound throughout the season, I was shocked by the school boy defending in the final against Napoli. The Italian giants carved our defense open with ease on two occasions before rounding off an emphatic victory with a screamer of a free-kick from Hamsik. This is largely due to an unwanted conflict with our star central defender.

After our league title win, the Italian regen center-back handed in a transfer request as he ridiculously claimed that he wasn't pleased with the club's reputation. (surely a bug?!) Not wanting to risk a morale drop, I accepted the request but to my surprise, his morale plunged even after I accepted his request. (surely another bug?!) He did not want to talk to me as he "felt that the relationship is broken" beyond repair.

In our last league fixture at Stamford Bridge, he performed admirably in a 3-1 victory against Chelsea despite his low morale and hence, I decided to take the risk and play him in the Champions League final. To my dismay, he was the worst player on show as we got demolished in the final :(

League Cup (Knocked out in 5th round)

HZIuj6f.jpg?1

As mentioned in the earlier post, our second 11 weren't good enough in a home tie against Blackburn as we were knocked out ruthlessly by the Championship side.

Squad Analysis

Squad Stats

Nevertheless, despite being losers in two major cup finals, the lads were fantastic for most parts of the season. The three academy graduates Charlie Kilty, Karlton Corbould and Joseph Woolley have settled well in the first-team squad and the signings have been superb in a successful season.

Top 3 Players

Joao Brito

The Portuguese took over from Joel Ward as the first-choice right-back with minimum fuss as his consistency was crucial in a productive season. Joao was able to add three goals and seven assists at the other end of the field and he has proven himself to be one of my best signings at the club on a free.

Will Hughes

The English central midfielder just gets better and better with each season. He was able to contribute 14 goals and 14 assists from central midfield and surely deserves a mention in the top 3 players of the season.

Roman Caceres

Last but surely not least, my player of the season! The Argentinian was a 30 million pound signing last summer and he took no time at all to settle into life at Vicarage Road. He grabbed 46 goals in 49 starts and managed to create a further 13 in a brilliant season. Surely the best player I have managed on this save so far.

Future Plans

CJLMdfM.jpg?1

Should I or should I not?

Shame you lost the 2 finals but still a strong season overall :thup:

As for Roma i'd say take it, the budget looks a bit poor but that's probably because the new season hasn't started so the budgets haven't been renewed. I think it'll be a good challenge, the facilities and stadium are decent enough already to not be worried building them up immediately so any funds can go straight on improving your squad. Go for it (besides, we don't see that many take Roma on in here so a new team would be interesting :cool:

Shame you lost the 2 finals but still a strong season overall :thup:

As for Roma i'd say take it, the budget looks a bit poor but that's probably because the new season hasn't started so the budgets haven't been renewed. I think it'll be a good challenge, the facilities and stadium are decent enough already to not be worried building them up immediately so any funds can go straight on improving your squad. Go for it (besides, we don't see that many take Roma on in here so a new team would be interesting :cool:

Shame about the cup finals, always sad when a team crumbles in a big match :/

I'd say go for Roma, follow Cashley.

Very frustrated when my defense switched off in the two biggest games of the season but well, these things happen in football :)

Congrats on the back to back league titles :thup:.

That's a great offer...like rodesire says...follow Cashley

Roma looks interesting, indeed.
Go for it, definitely should be somewhere a bit more glamorous than Watford (Sorry Miles!).

sxrwnoR.jpg?1

Cheers lads :)

Good move, Vicky will be happy and kids will finally get some sun ;)
Good decision :thup:
Sir David of Hertfordshire! Top job with the Hornets - Elton John would approve :thup:

Cheers lads! Roma is good fun so far but we are a tad poor :(

180px-AS_Roma_logo_%282013%29.svg.png

Preseason 2021/2022 - A.S. Roma

Club's Recent Achievements

Roma hasn't won the Serie A since 2001 and it will certainly be one of my primary aims as I look to kick start my journey with the Italian giants. Recent success include the Europa League win last season and the Italian Cup victory in 2019. Despite finishing 10th in the league last season, we will be playing in the Europa League once again as defending champions.

Staff Movement

Pletikosa, Van Persie and Nista were signed from the mass exodus from Watford after I resigned..

XSOqyfw.jpg?1

..and the legend returns!

Board Expectations

Serie A: Qualify for Europa League

Europa League: Reach Second Knockout Round

Italian Cup: Not important

Italian Super Cup: Not important

European Super Cup: Be competitive

I was pleased to see the board remain realistic with their expectations this season. I will certainly be looking to finish as high up the table as possible so as to bring Champions League football back to Olimpico. However, the task has been made harder as a Champions League place had been taken away from Serie A. Not the best of news to hear right after I took the job.

Budgets

Transfer: 11.94 million pounds

Wages: 1.6 million pounds

In terms of budget, it is certainly a step down from Watford as we had the luck of a takeover in my first few seasons at Vicarage Road. Nevertheless, having looked at the squad, it will be a busy summer trying to clear out the deadwood and bringing in the right players for my system.

Transfers

05kNsY4.jpg?1

The squad had lots of "luxury" players, players who don't want to run for the team (low work rate) despite having bags of ability. They were not suitable for my system and were all offloaded to a variety of clubs. As a result, we were in need of a backup keeper, left-back, a midfield anchor, two ball-winners, one pacy right winger and two false nines. They were all signed for a combined sum of 11.25 million pounds.

"Raid" on Watford

Amidu Salifu

I couldn't resist raiding my old club for a couple of players as they were ready made for my system. I had a hard time trying to find cheap ball-winners for our squad and as a result, I had to resort to bringing my captain at Watford with me to the Italian capital. As we were desperately in need of hard-working and committed players, Amidu is perfect for my system and is a bargain at 8.75 million pounds.

Karlton Corbould

Another ball-winner was signed from my former club as the English regen joined on loan for a season. He is one of the three academy products I brought through to the Watford first-team and the tireless midfielder will provide useful cover for Amidu throughout the season.

Max Langston

Max Langston became the second player to join on loan from Watford when he agreed to join me at Olimpico. He will go into the squad as the third choice false nine and the 18 year old will get his fair share of games in the Italian Cup and Europa League.

Preseason Friendlies

fn7rZcx.jpg?1

A preseason tour to China was organized to boost the team's popularity in that region. After a few easy friendlies, we look forward to the first tie in the Italian Cup before facing the mighty Juve in the Italian Super Cup \o/

Looks like you have stamped your mark already! Crazy turnaround with the transfers, hope the squad gels fast enough for you to be a CL place contender. Huge kudos for bringing Totti back, can't believe they let him leave in the first place!

That was a crazy summer but I insisted on playing the system which was so successful for me at Watford so I had to replace the players :(

Totti was a weird one, I certainly wouldn't have let him go! He has some nice stats for a coach too!

180px-AS_Roma_logo_%282013%29.svg.png

August to October 2021/2022 - A.S. Roma

League

tP55aVa.jpg?1

lVDg6D0.jpg?1

I would have preferred more consistency but I couldn't complain about the start really. We suffered defeats against AC Milan and Juventus but managed to keep ourselves within four points of the leaders. Nevertheless, it will take a lot to win the league in my first season here and I will be pleased if we can bring Champions League football back to Olimpico.

Italian Cup

yTPQ2eh.jpg?1

So far so good as we dismissed the lower league side 5-0 in the first round. I was also extremely happy to see new signings Langston and Straka open their accounts so early.

Europa League

booxhx7.jpg?1

rRkXffh.jpg?1

The boys started very strongly in the first two games against Spartak Moscow and SK Rapid Wien, scoring five and conceding none. Their good form was brought to an abrupt end as we were on the wrong end of a 3-0 thrashing. The scoreline was a tad flattering to the home side as we dominated the game but couldn't put the chances away. Braga were unbelievably sharp in their attack as they scored three from very few chances. Nevertheless, with two home ties in three left to play, I would be really disappointed if we did not manage to qualify from here.

Italian Super Cup

Tiyn6yy.jpg?1

It was always going to be a tough game against Juventus and the mammoth task was made more difficult when left-back Oliveira got sent off with majority of the game left to play. We stayed solid and defended well but was unlucky to go down to a direct free-kick.

European Super Cup

ERh2Fv6.jpg?1

Personally, this is a huge game for me as I got thrashed by Napoli in the Champions League final last year with Watford. Thankfully, the lads were terrific as we put up a solid display in a pleasing 1-0 victory. Mamoudou Diarra got forward well from right-back and was rewarded with the winning goal \o/

How is Watford doing?

SlNZsaq.jpg?1

To end off, I wasn't too pleased to see this :(

Archived