Is getting a boost when a player is sent off coded into the game?

It seems that there is a big swing towards the team that has a man sent off in this version of the game. Whenever I lose a player to a red card, I don't change anything and usually find myself scoring, particularly at home. I was playing tonight and was 2-0 up at City, they'd had two players sent off and we'd scored from the free kick and penalty. Great I thought, went to get a drink and came back as it went to 4-2 to City. 4 goals in 17 minutes whilst 2 men down? Thats some going. I know in real life having a man sent off can very occasionally inspire a team as they feel they've been wronged by the ref, but 9 men tearing 11 apart is unusual?

I think it's because the motivation of the remaining ten (or nine) usually increases as they have to pick up the slack for their fallen team mate. And if the team with 11 men doesn't have the right personality they can get complacent.

I agree sometimes it seems a little too overpowered though. I've lost count of how many times I've gone down to ten and then torn the AI to shreds (without doing much more than taking off a striker), and I've had the AI go down to ten and then start passing it around like Pep's Barca.

However that being said, people usually try to ramp up the tempo when facing ten and really you should slow it down, play wider, retain possession, maybe even counter to try and tire them and draw them out of position.

Well firstly... thinking you can just walk away and leave your team alone when the opposition basically have nothing to lose and will attack like there's no tomorrow is just a lack of understanding the situation. Irl teams with a man advantage will always try and push the advantage and score again to finish off the game as they know the opposition is dangerous when they are a man down.

Why on earth would they have spent time coding something like that in?

er, because they want the game to be as realistic as possible? I would be very surprised and disappointed if adjustments to mental states following a sending off were not encoded, though I wouldn't expect it to be as simple as a boost to the efforts of the team that lose a man, I'd expect it to depend on the players' determination, morale etc (ie oversimplifying for effect: determined & good morale = redouble efforts, low determination & poor morale = give up).

er, because they want the game to be as realistic as possible? I would be very surprised and disappointed if adjustments to mental states following a sending off were not encoded, though I wouldn't expect it to be as simple as a boost to the efforts of the team that lose a man, I'd expect it to depend on the players' determination, morale etc (ie oversimplifying for effect: determined & good morale = redouble efforts, low determination & poor morale = give up).

You'd be correct :) PaulC described it once as the "backs to the wall" effect, though he didn't (and won't) say exactly how it's defined or how the effect is made variable.

I suck against teams who go a man down.

They key is to exploit the area of the pitch they are down in. Quite often, they'll make a sub or change of formation right after a sending off, so when it happens I pause the game and look at their formation.

Sometimes they'll simply sacrifice a striker if they play with two up top, which is a pain if they do as there's no real benefit, and it becomes a bit of a war of attrition, but occassionally they'll leave a gap out wide instead (inexplicably). On those occasions I simply instruct the team to exploit the exposed flank and off we go.

Always a good idea to check their 'new' formation right after a sending off.

Often they will play a midfield three with only one central midfielder, in which case exploiting the middle is the go.

If they just take a striker off I usually use "play out of defence" and maybe even drop someone back to DMC with the intention of pulling their midfield out of shape to do the defensive work a lone striker can't get through.

If they take a striker off and you play four at the back I tend to ho to three and push another player forward. Or have one of my back three man mark their striker left, that way when they look for a pass to him as a way to lighten the load he is taken up.

Has so opponents.

Man mark ST.

Tend to be my changes.

If they take a striker off and you play four at the back I tend to ho to three and push another player forward. Or have one of my back three man mark their striker left, that way when they look for a pass to him as a way to lighten the load he is taken up.

Has so opponents.

Man mark ST.

Tend to be my changes.

Interesting. I rarely change the shape, instead just change my full back into attacking mentality (or even change the role to complete wing back).

Archived