FM14 (14.2.0) - The Triad (4-2-3-1) - Promoted first season with Doncaster - Great GD!

INTRO

After having some decent success and receiving good responses with my tactic: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/374094-FM-2014-VikingArrow-s-4-2-3-1-PLUG-amp-PLAY, I decided to overhaul the tactic and tweak it down to the bone- in all areas.

The tactic is based upon a 4-2-3-1 tactic, with a deep defensive line - two fullbacks on support, two central defenders on defend, a defensive midfielder in anchor role, a midfielder on attack, two inside forwards on support, a attacking midfielder on support and upfront a advanced forward on attack creating a good balance in the team. I chose to keep the mentality on standard and a rigid fluidity.

During my period testing the tactic I gave it a go with teams all the way down to Skrill Premier with good results. The tactic isn't a diablo, it will never be - you will encounter losses and draws, no doubt about that. But you will play fun football, create chances and score a lot of goals IF you got the right players for the positions.

I have decided to use my career with Doncaster, which I just finished my first season as a prime example. Doncaster is predicted nr 23 in the Championship, a division I think is the most difficult there is on FM2014 - it got loads of teams, both good ones and bad ones (underdog-factor will struck you!)

Doncaster got more or less nothing to use in the transfer market at first, which is also a very hard challenge and there are not that many players you can sell with a nice profit without losing key players.

I brought in Stefan Strandberg as a DM (Trained him DM after 4-5 months) - Kasper Kusk as a AML (Amazing young player that is either footed), Darnel Situ from Swansea as backup CB and John Pantsil as a DR. During the January window I was handed a better transfer budget (probably my position in the league) that gave me the opportunity buying Thomas Drage, AMC from Tromso - Nicolaj Thomsen, MC from AaB - Pontus Jansson, CB from Malmo - All young players that wouldn't impact my team that much this season.

IMPORTANT It is IMPORTANT to understand that your teams familiarity with the tactic NEEDS to be fluid in order to really get those great results! .. or at least nearly fluid. The team needs to understand how they are gonna play.. logical, isn't it? :) Also - Pace is vital. If you got a advanced forward with great pace and acceleration he`ll rip apart most defenses, same goes for your inside forwards. Have in mind a player with 8 in pace for Skrill Premier is very good and a player with 16+ pace in Premier League is decent as well :)

To many long shots from your AMC? And crossings behind your CBs?

Change your AMC to Shoot Less Often and change the role of one of your CBs to CB Cover instead of Defend, the defender with the most pace.

SCREENSHOTS

The tactic:

a5ar.png

Team instructions:

0bvl.png

The team:

fpab.png

League table Championship 2013 / 2014 - runner up:

nbxe.png

Top goalscorer of the league, Theo Robinson (BEAST!):

pvf0.png

Top assist maker of the league, Kyle Bennet (WOHA!):

uh2w.png

Some memorable moments on the pitch:

g0ha.png

ct6e.png

DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2qckvb7y0a12p7m/The%20Triad.tac

Enjoy everyone! And post your results! Thanks :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im having success with your first plug and play right now with Wolves in league 1 (not a hard challenge I know, but still) going to download this and use it as backup until fluid. Is this also plug and play? I have my assistant doing OI, teamtalks.

After much enjoyment and success achieved with Coventry with your original version of this tactic; I am greatly looking forward to this polished version Viking.

Guys definitely try this tactic; it is a real tactic based around solid foundation. You will not be disappointed. Will keep informed on my notts county game.

Im having success with your first plug and play right now with Wolves in league 1 (not a hard challenge I know, but still) going to download this and use it as backup until fluid. Is this also plug and play? I have my assistant doing OI, teamtalks.

Great to hear. This is also plug and play, as long as you follow some of the guidelines in terms of the roles :) My assistant is also doing all the OI, teamtalks etc.

After much enjoyment and success achieved with Coventry with your original version of this tactic; I am greatly looking forward to this polished version Viking.

Guys definitely try this tactic; it is a real tactic based around solid foundation. You will not be disappointed. Will keep informed on my notts county game.

Thanks Jamie! Let me know how it goes!

Great to hear. This is also plug and play, as long as you follow some of the guidelines in terms of the roles :) My assistant is also doing all the OI, teamtalks etc.

Well I have the pace that's for sure, with Sako, Kusk (very surprised he would come to me, but he did!)Giles Barns, and Miyaichi all competing for the wing positions, with Gary Gardner in the central attacking position, then Doyle/Griffiths for the striker role, so hopefully it should work out alright :)

Also forgot to mention, with your first plug and play, a highlight so far was beating Cardiff in league cup 2-1 (should of been more) dominated all game with something like 65-70% possession, just don't think my strikers were were on form that day.

Well I have the pace that's for sure, with Sako, Kusk (very surprised he would come to me, but he did!)Giles Barns, and Miyaichi all competing for the wing positions, with Gary Gardner in the central attacking position, then Doyle/Griffiths for the striker role, so hopefully it should work out alright :)

Haha! Sounds very promising. After my testing I found out that the IF in the left position tends to get the most goals of the two IFs and the right IF gets the most assists - can be the players though! But worth mentioning :)

Right having a test with Liverpool now, new game, i set ass. manager run everything from training to match preparation. no transfers. gone on holiday till 31st of december. will let you know.

edit: they have sacked me at 30th of october.

Sorry to hear, but that is not a proper way to test a tactic in my opinion.

After all of 2 and a half games, it's certainly promising. I (Liverpool) was getting beat 2-0 at White Hart Lane, switched to your tactic at the 60 minute mark, came back and drew 2-2. Should have won with a couple of late one-on-ones too. Prior to that I'd just used it in 2 pre-season friendlies.

Only obvious issue I've seen so far is a couple of long balls have caught out centre backs (something which in the real world wouldn't be down to how fluid a tactic is, but how this is replicated in FM I've no idea).

I'll wait until its more fluid before I use it further (or if I need a dramatic change of game plan), then give it a good go further into the season.

After all of 2 and a half games, it's certainly promising. I (Liverpool) was getting beat 2-0 at White Hart Lane, switched to your tactic at the 60 minute mark, came back and drew 2-2. Should have won with a couple of late one-on-ones too. Prior to that I'd just used it in 2 pre-season friendlies.

Only obvious issue I've seen so far is a couple of long balls have caught out centre backs (something which in the real world wouldn't be down to how fluid a tactic is, but how this is replicated in FM I've no idea).

I'll wait until its more fluid before I use it further (or if I need a dramatic change of game plan), then give it a good go further into the season.

I am afraid the long balls over or in between the centre backs is the ME and not the tactic :(

Do you always keep it on standard? I'm thinking of putting it on counter when I have a hard game and attacking at home but I'm not sure if it'll work...

I do, but I have in some cases changed to Attacking or counter playing away against stronger teams. But to be honest, with Doncaster I havent had that many problems with standard!

Attacking and very rigid seems to be working. I put "Shoot less often" on my AMC and it seems a lot better too. He passes and creates attacks instead and just scored 2 tap ins for me - on the end of moves that he created.

Just won 3-0 vs Rangers as Hibernian in 2016. Works well. Awesome tactic.

Attacking and very rigid seems to be working. I put "Shoot less often" on my AMC and it seems a lot better too. He passes and creates attacks instead and just scored 2 tap ins for me - on the end of moves that he created.

Just won 3-0 vs Rangers as Hibernian in 2016. Works well. Awesome tactic.

Awesome! Glad you like it!

Did you changed to this Arrow? :)

Havent been a part of my set up, but it seems to work when I have tried today! :)

had to come back to downloading tatics as i just cant get anything to work but this is working well won 3 away games in a row
So with attacking and very rigid on, these are my first few results:

3550e23138f55dc8055cc1c6232a8483.png

I initially beat Rangers 3-0 but my game crashed. 4-2 isn't too bad though.

Nice tactic. Me gusta.

Great results guys!

This is exactly the kind of tactic I was looking for.Most 4-2-3-1 formations fail in the last 2 FM but the fact this one uses a DM seems to make it stronger.

I started using it with Leeds signing only 2 players.Max Gradel on loan for the right wing was probably my best player.Highlights were a 15 game unbeaten run which took me firmly to the playoffs and a 2-1 away win at Liverpool with a championship team.Going to make a few signing,get some pace on the wings and up front and see how it goes in the premier league with a weak side.It's a struggle with Leeds for the first 2-3 seasons :p

Would post some screenies but it won't let me upload them :(

Going in to my third season with United and still looking for a solid tactic. Have had decent results with other tactics but not really satisfied.

So I will try this because it fits my players perfectly. And so far it have exceeded my expectations (Y) :D

I have one question; do you think it's possible to change Anchor Man to a HB or will it ruin the tactic. I'm thinkin of trying against some smaller teams...

Thanks for what so far is a great tactic :D

The first 5 matches with my Liverpool: 4 wins, 1 loss, 9 goals scored, 5 conceded. The only thing I noticed is that when i'm playing away, i'm dominated in the number of shots. for example: I won against Swansea 1-0 at their home, but they shooted 20 times and I "just" 10...

But it's my prefered tactic so far :D

Liking this tactic, using it with Southampton at the end of the season, last three games won 1-0 against Chelsea and 4-2 against Arsenal

Well done!

This is exactly the kind of tactic I was looking for.Most 4-2-3-1 formations fail in the last 2 FM but the fact this one uses a DM seems to make it stronger.

I started using it with Leeds signing only 2 players.Max Gradel on loan for the right wing was probably my best player.Highlights were a 15 game unbeaten run which took me firmly to the playoffs and a 2-1 away win at Liverpool with a championship team.Going to make a few signing,get some pace on the wings and up front and see how it goes in the premier league with a weak side.It's a struggle with Leeds for the first 2-3 seasons :p

Would post some screenies but it won't let me upload them :(

Awesome man! Let me know how it goes! :)

Going in to my third season with United and still looking for a solid tactic. Have had decent results with other tactics but not really satisfied.

So I will try this because it fits my players perfectly. And so far it have exceeded my expectations (Y) :D

I have one question; do you think it's possible to change Anchor Man to a HB or will it ruin the tactic. I'm thinkin of trying against some smaller teams...

Thanks for what so far is a great tactic :D

Hi! I wouldn't change the roles to much, but you could try? Let me know how it goes :)

The first 5 matches with my Liverpool: 4 wins, 1 loss, 9 goals scored, 5 conceded. The only thing I noticed is that when i'm playing away, i'm dominated in the number of shots. for example: I won against Swansea 1-0 at their home, but they shooted 20 times and I "just" 10...

But it's my prefered tactic so far :D

Try go up attacking against weaker teams or counter against stronger teams :)

What about training vikingarrow?

My assistant manager is in control

I introduced this tactic towards the back end of a season, when I had a run of game including Man City away, Chelsea and Real Madrid away coming up. Bit of a mixed bag with results so far, but even on the occasions we have lost, we've dominated the game.

Injuries also played a massive part, I only had 1 fit player for each of the AM positions, so was having to play CM and ST there occasionally. I've now bolstered my squad and with the team being more familiar with this tactic I'm looking forward to a full season of testing.

Hi Viking,

Great to see you getting the credit for your efforts. Well done. Nice to see some different contributions in terms of things to tweak....a solid tactic and buy far he best on here.

Thank you Jamie!

I introduced this tactic towards the back end of a season, when I had a run of game including Man City away, Chelsea and Real Madrid away coming up. Bit of a mixed bag with results so far, but even on the occasions we have lost, we've dominated the game.

Injuries also played a massive part, I only had 1 fit player for each of the AM positions, so was having to play CM and ST there occasionally. I've now bolstered my squad and with the team being more familiar with this tactic I'm looking forward to a full season of testing.

Make sure the tactic is fluid for your team, very important :)

OK, so here's a game against Chelsea, as you can see we created more chances but just couldn't finish them.

u8r8.jpg

But once we got used to the tactics....

pzub.jpg

There you go ;)

And just to follow up my previous, here's how the tactic worked once my team were used to it and with a fully fit squad.

9b65.png

I'm going to switch back to using my own tactics now as I just wanted to give this a test.

Nice one vikingarrow

This is the first tactic that seems to work for me in 14.2. Used it with Anderlecht for five competition games now and dominated all my games. 13 goals for my team and 1 against. Mitrovic has been an absolute beast with 8 goals in 5 games and the tactic isn't yet fully fluid. Great work!

previously I used this tactic as means of letting assistant manager taking control and me going on a holiday. As the creator of the tactic nicely said this was not the way to test a tactic anymore, I gave a go normally with Liverpool so far so BRILLIANT!!!

awesome suited my team well made some back up transfers as Liverpool squad is injury prone and delight.

I put on as recommended put the amc shots on less often and made my CDR as a Cover. I made him as cover as he has an Anchor man just above him so I thought he can go a bit deeper down.

Suarez is on fire as AF!

again thank you author for your briliant tactic.will let you know end of season results.

Archived