FM 2014 - VikingArrow's 4-2-3-1 - PLUG & PLAY

First, I have played the FM series since the vary beginning and I still remember all my floppy disks for Amiga with CM Italy :) FM has been one of my worst enemies in life, but most of the time - my best friend! So credits to you guys at SI creating this amazing game!

Anyways, so I have been fiddling with tactics for quite some time and I have been a member of this forum since it started, but I forgot my password and the email was not longer in use - so I had to make a few account. Who I was in here before? Not that important :)

So, what I have decided to create is a 4-2-3-1 tactic based on a rigid play with focus on hazzle the opponents and a bunch of players getting stuck in, allover. My feelings so far with this version is that the ME favors a typical 80s English play, strength & tackling. Bare in mind, this post wont be super advanced in terms on words and how to - it s a plug and play tactic.

c2yb.png

This tactic isn't some diablo-look-a-like-tactic, neither is it a tactic based on winning matches 5-3. I prefer tactics that gives realistic results, even though during this process I have had some great results and awesome match stats:

4qvy.png

Won the Carling Cup 2-1 against Everton:

9l8o.png

During my testing period with Middlesbrough I had a very nice winning streak (which are rare in this versions of FM 2014) - I lost against Barnsley, a team I always struggle against in Championship (Underdog-factor?)

3zxc.png

Players for your tactic:

Use what you got, but wingers with pace is good. Midfielders with strength, stamina and work rate is also favorable. A either footed AMC is great, but hard to get - Kusk from Denmark is young and got loads of potential.

Some hints:

If you are managing a lower league team, or a team that are doomed in your division - move AMR and AML down in MR and ML position.

Opposition instructions:

My Assistant Manager is taking care of that.

Match Preperations:

My Assistant Manager is taking care of that.

VikingArrow`s 4-2-3-1 V1:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y7zg45i7j8bqnew/4231_VikingArrow.tac

VikingArrow`s 4-2-3-1 V2:

https://www.mediafire.com/?wangq5vu34y443e

Good luck all, and please if you got any suggestions for improving the tactic, post! :)

Results from my run with Celtic:

0NiPE9l.png

I didn't buy anyone and struggled with injuries through the entire run so I'd say things went pretty well. Got unlucky a few times and got drawn into a ridiculously difficult CL group.

Solid tactic.

Great results and thanks! We have to remember that even superduper-teams go on some bad streaks sometimes! :) My mission for this tactic was to create a solid realistic tactic, not a diablo! Let me know it goes further on!

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, both adv.pl and dlp have longshots rarely as default. The problem with the current interface is that it is difficult to figure out what is default settings and what unavailable for a spesific role, e.g. dribble more is default for winger and dribble less is unavailable for that same role.

Easiest way to figure out what's default and what's not available is either to watch what the player does on the pitch, or try to remember what the default settings were in earlier versions of FM... Hopefully SI will change this in future updates.

Testing it out now. Taking a while to get fluid (despite 10 pre-season fixtures, a 4.5* tactics coach and training tactics on the maximum setting since July - now in October).

So far, we're woeful away from home and appalling defensively, getting sliced open with ease. Conceded 4 goals to West Brom and 4 to Sunderland (we're a mid-table PL side) in successive games. Also scored a fair few, but very erratic right now. So, first impressions not great but equally it's unfair to judge when the tactic still isn't fluid, so I'll get back to you at the end of the season and see how it's fared. I'm not keen on having a B2B and APM in the middle though, they offer no protection to the back four.

What type of player you use for Regista?

Liam Bridcutt at Brighton was awesome as a regista, both in the Championship and Premier League.

I guess mental attributes has a lot to say in this position. Workrate, decisions, bravery. Tackles and stamina together with some pace and acceleration also seems to be vital attributes for a regista in both Championship and Premier League. I am currently testing out the tactic in League 2 with York and Oscar Sielva (free agent) is doing really really well as a regista too.

Liam Bridcutt at Brighton was awesome as a regista, both in the Championship and Premier League.

I guess mental attributes has a lot to say in this position. Workrate, decisions, bravery. Tackles and stamina together with some pace and acceleration also seems to be vital attributes for a regista in both Championship and Premier League. I am currently testing out the tactic in League 2 with York and Oscar Sielva (free agent) is doing really really well as a regista too.

Cheers for the reply mate. Yeah I am in league two also with Portsmouth so testing it out in the lower leagues too. Will give feedback on it after a season or so. You reckon dropping the LW/RW down to LM/RM?

Cheers for the reply mate. Yeah I am in league two also with Portsmouth so testing it out in the lower leagues too. Will give feedback on it after a season or so. You reckon dropping the LW/RW down to LM/RM?

No problem. That might work, but make sure the player instructions stay more or less the same. In this tactic the inside forwards are doing a huge job, maybe use the LM/RM as wide midfielders cutting inside?

Hi VikingArrow,

Many thanks for this tactic. I have played every version of this game for over a decade and get increasingly frustrated at having to spend ages developing a tactic. Unlike in my younger days, I now run a business and compete as a golf professional so I do not have a lot of time for this - so a plug and play such as this is fantastic - and allows me to buy and build instead!

Some feedback for you. I am unfortunately a Coventry fan in real life so here I am trying to work miracles and get us on a sound footing again. 17 games in and the -10 points we started with has been overturned and without that we would be lying 4th. The tactic is very solid, and considering our team isn't the strongest we are easily holding our own.

I am noticing as I work way through winter that I'm struggling to create many ccc's: could this be fatigue of my young team, pitch conditions or the game figuring out how to play me? do you recommend tweaks at all or just strive on?

Many thanks again for sharing this tactic and allowing me to get my enjoyment of the game back. I will repay my thanks by keeping you updated of my progress through the season.

Jamie

p.s: my girlfriend hates you!! lol!

Hi VikingArrow,

Many thanks for this tactic. I have played every version of this game for over a decade and get increasingly frustrated at having to spend ages developing a tactic. Unlike in my younger days, I now run a business and compete as a golf professional so I do not have a lot of time for this - so a plug and play such as this is fantastic - and allows me to buy and build instead!

Some feedback for you. I am unfortunately a Coventry fan in real life so here I am trying to work miracles and get us on a sound footing again. 17 games in and the -10 points we started with has been overturned and without that we would be lying 4th. The tactic is very solid, and considering our team isn't the strongest we are easily holding our own.

I am noticing as I work way through winter that I'm struggling to create many ccc's: could this be fatigue of my young team, pitch conditions or the game figuring out how to play me? do you recommend tweaks at all or just strive on?

Many thanks again for sharing this tactic and allowing me to get my enjoyment of the game back. I will repay my thanks by keeping you updated of my progress through the season.

Jamie

p.s: my girlfriend hates you!! lol!

Thanks your kind words Jamie!

When it comes to the winter, I am struggling with the same - aaaand I think most are? It is that mid season thing, OR it has something to do about the pitch - maybe a slower football would work!? Havent tried that out myself, but I will :)

P.S! My girlfriend hates me even more ;)

Just starting a new York City save (local team) myself.... will use this tactic and let you know results. Do you use it for both home and away?

Hi there! Awesome, I managed to get York promoted first season (1st place) - Used the tactic both home and away! Good luck!

Hi there! Awesome, I managed to get York promoted first season (1st place) - Used the tactic both home and away! Good luck!

Yeah I've played 3 games won 2 lost 1. I think with York you generally need to sign alot of new players to shift the deadwood. So it will take slightly longer for my team to blend as I've signed 6 players.

I'm dominating possession in every game and I'm enjoying the football I'm seeing. I lost to Hartlepool conceding 2 goals early on, I noticed this was due to my centre halves trying to hold too higher line and the striker getting in behind twice. So I changed it to 'drop deeper' we scored to make it 2-1 and then missed a penalty that would of made it 2-2. They then scored at the very end to put the game out of reach. So just something for people to think about if your two centre halves aren't as quick as the opposition strikers.

Overall a good tactic and I like the fact the philosophy is 'standard' so it is valid both home and away... will continue and let you know how I get on.

Hey Viking,

No probs at all.

I had a really bad run through December and January, but to be honest I had so many injuries, and with me trying to offload players (unsuccessfully!) morale took a plummet. However things have improved the past few games and I look set to secure mid table safety.

I went to direct passing in some games, and shorter passing in others and this seemed to help, however I think the tactic works better when I just leave it as you designed it. Teamtalks seem to be the way forward for me!!

What type of striker do you recommend? and what are your thoughts on the inside forwards....do you have a left footer on the right wing for example?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey jamiegolf,

Sorry for late response, had 2 weeks holidays in Spain :)

Well for the striker part I love to have a striker that got good work rate, stamina and composure! Dunno why, but it seems to work like a charm :)

On the IF I use a left footed on right wing, and right footed on left!

Hey Viking,

Hope you had a great time....design any new tactics whilst away or would that be pushing the g/f too far?!

Thank you for the info. I will have a fiddle around with my IF's and see how they progress.

If you are still wanting updates on how the tactic fares then I will update here.

My last message I said how I had fared very poorly through December and January. I stuck with it though, kept plugging away on improving moral hoping things would improve. And they did..... I had an amazing finish to the season winning 7 of the last 9 and drawing 1.

Despite starting on -10 points....I missed out on the playoffs by one goal...not bad for a desperate Coventry side.

This season I have a very weak team. I lost so many players due to being unable to renegotiate their contracts....and have an average age in early 20's, Im relying on loans, but find myself just 1 point off playoffs after 28 games. Doesn't sound great but trust me, Coventry is not an easy game!!

I would be interested to see how you did with them Viking!

Overall, I find the tactic very solid and very consistent. As I stabilise Cov and sort their finances out I expect to make quick progress through the leagues with this tactic!

Final point - I have been offered 6 interviews from teams in the Championship....so I must be doing okay.

Thanks again for your work.

Hey Viking,

Hope you had a great time....design any new tactics whilst away or would that be pushing the g/f too far?!

Thank you for the info. I will have a fiddle around with my IF's and see how they progress.

If you are still wanting updates on how the tactic fares then I will update here.

My last message I said how I had fared very poorly through December and January. I stuck with it though, kept plugging away on improving moral hoping things would improve. And they did..... I had an amazing finish to the season winning 7 of the last 9 and drawing 1.

Despite starting on -10 points....I missed out on the playoffs by one goal...not bad for a desperate Coventry side.

This season I have a very weak team. I lost so many players due to being unable to renegotiate their contracts....and have an average age in early 20's, Im relying on loans, but find myself just 1 point off playoffs after 28 games. Doesn't sound great but trust me, Coventry is not an easy game!!

I would be interested to see how you did with them Viking!

Overall, I find the tactic very solid and very consistent. As I stabilise Cov and sort their finances out I expect to make quick progress through the leagues with this tactic!

Final point - I have been offered 6 interviews from teams in the Championship....so I must be doing okay.

Thanks again for your work.

Jamie, is this with the updated patch (14.2)? :)

Pilmalm,

Yes it is. Are you Coventry too?

Really nice! :)

No, im planning on start a new save but cant find a reliable tactic for the new patch...:( but, will give this another go!

Used it on 14.1.3, but conceded a lot!! But since Viking tweaked the tactic, its maybe worth trying again..?

Thanks for this, using it on my first save with Spurs. I lost my first three friendlies using my own tactic so took this one as a life/job saver and so far I've played three games with it and got two wins and a draw.

I'll update more when I've played more games with it.....

Great to hear that!

Im coming with yet another version of the tactic tomorrow. Even more solid in the back 4 and deadly forward :) Doncaster promoted first season ;)

Great to hear that!

Im coming with yet another version of the tactic tomorrow. Even more solid in the back 4 and deadly forward :) Doncaster promoted first season ;)

Is that with 14.2?

Really interested to give this a serious go! Could you give us a sneak peak of the formation and roles? :) Promoting Doncaster in first season is awesome i would say!!

Predicted 23rd i think right? :)

cheers Viking

Is that with 14.2?

Really interested to give this a serious go! Could you give us a sneak peak of the formation and roles? :) Promoting Doncaster in first season is awesome i would say!!

Predicted 23rd i think right? :)

cheers Viking

Yes, Sir! 14.2 that is :) Will put up some screenies later on. It is the same formation and almost the same roles, just a few tweaks here and there! :)

Yeah hurry up Viking - the gf is out at sainsburys so I have some hours spare to crack on! lol.

Very impressive with Doncaster.

Just an update - i got sacked with Coventry. but due to financial restrictions I had to sell my whole team and play with my youth team so it was ridiculous at the end....nothing to do with your tactics. I look forward to your upload.

Jamie

Archived