FM14: Tottenham Hotspur - "“ Sold Elvis and bought The Beatles..."

enders357

Everybody, I am interested in the development of some of the youngsters that start at Spurs. How have those of you that have gotten a number of seasons in done with developing the players?

Carroll

Kane

Gallifuoco

Fredricks

Bentaleb

Coulthirst

Coulibaly

I think I have seen Carroll and Kane come good, but what about the others?

Edit: Forgot to throw in Fryers to that list

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only Carroll and Kane have gone on to become Premier League standard players in my save.

Kane has been a good back-up striker for me and is now rated 3 stars by my assistant. Carroll never really made it with me but had a good loan at Norwich and just signed for Southampton (for £4.2m in June 2016). Coulibaly is still at the club but has had unsuccessful loan after unsuccessful loan. I haven't kept track of the others,

Like enders357 said, the only ones with any decent chances of ever becoming PL players are Carroll and Kane and on my game I seriously doubt it will happen! Kane is on an unsuccessful loan for the 3rd time, and even though Carroll have some great stats for a passing midfielder, he's got too many flaws to ever make it. Kane might make it as a sub sometime in the future, but with so many other options over the years (regens included) it seems unlikely to me.

The rest of them will never stand a chance, I'm afraid...

Same thing here, only Carroll and Kane "made it" in my save. Both would be good rotation material, but I've already sold them both as I had better choices and especially the offer for Carroll was way too good to turn down, 'cause even though his attributes were good he just didn't play well at all, so off he went to Monaco for £23.5M after the 14/15 season. Kane went to Newcastle after the 15/16 season for £13M.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR SEASON 2017/18

After last season's Champions League win I found it hard somewhat hard to motivate myself for next season, but the mood is picking up again. I wanted to get my promising youth players some more playing time so I offloaded a few older player on high wages and soon ending contracts. So off went Capoue, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Ayew, Giovinco and Agüero for a nice total of £156M, and in came Wilshire, Maupay, Dier, Bernard and two newgens for a total of £113M. I know some die-hard Spurs fans find it strange that I have Wilshire and Oxlade-Chamberlain in my squad, but they're both great players, still young and English. Agüero wanted a new contract with huge wages and stupid bonuses, even though he was already on £175K p/w plus bonuses, so at 29 years old it was an easy sell when Real came in with an offer that I was able to negotiate to £50M straight up.

Here's my starting eleven plus subs and main tactic for this season:

2n7nyxk.jpg

Last season's main focus was in totally in the Champions League and the Premier League was some way back on my list, and I think it's the same this season. Not one of my three straight PL titles have been "walks in the park" by any means, all have been tight races all the way to the finish, but I want to test myself against the best in Europe. And I can't wait for the World Club Championships in december, it should be fun, even though it brings more fixture congestion. So this season started with the Community Shield against Chelsea and totally dominated them, and would've kept a clean sheet, too, if it wasn't for Balanta's error that led to Hazard going one-on-one against ter Stegen. The opening night PL was again against Chelsea, but at Stamford Brigde and it was whole different ball-game from the get go. Chelsea were the better side for the first hour and could've been up by more than two by then. Then I changed a few things and got going and managed to score two great goals in the last 10 minutes to get a point from the match, which I was happy with.

August 2017

nfitj9.jpg

Next up CSKA Moscow in the European Super Cup. I'll be fielding a "B-team" propably, to give the youths a chance.

So I lost the Super Cup thanks to Alex Sandro, who gace up two penalties to CSKA. :) I had three times as much shots as CSKA, but Wilshire was the only one who could get the ball past Akinfeev. But that's alright, as I fielded mostly youngters and rotation players in the starting eleven. The Premier League has started better than last year, even though the home draw against City was really disappointing as we lost a 2-0 lead in the last 20 minutes. Started the Champions League campaign with a 5-1 hammering away at Anderlecht. Other teams in my group are Montpellier and Schalke, so and easy draw for me this time.

Top performers so far have been Benzia with 6 goals and 4 assists in 6(1) apps, Stanciu with 4 goals and 3 assists in 7(2) apps, Wilshire and Ox-Chamberlain both with 2 goals and 5 assists.

September 2017

2hehe2c.jpg

Table

2ajuvqg.jpg

wwbw.png

Sadly this was the only trophy won this year, got knocked out in FA Cup and in semis in UCL ...

But i'm now a legend for the club :)

a0nh.png

And I've been relocated to Wembley because the board decided to expand my new stadium :) Lost 0-4 at home against Southampton, wonder if this is the cause ... started poorly the new season with a lost away at Arsenal (1-2), home against Saints and away at Hull (2-0). I hope i will recover after the international break.

i95j.png

I won the EPL 3 times in a row, and on my news feed it says this :

mjpk.png

I wonder if it is a bug :)

Thanks for the young player info guys.

And now for something completely different...

In the Europa league last night, at Rosenborg, my Spurs save ended in the most interesting formation... 2-7-0

This was due to Injuries, a red card, and a poor bench selection.. but made for an interesting look.

We even held to our 2-1 lead until injury time, and then ended with a 2-2 draw!

Will post the tactics picture when I am home and have it.

The basic setup was Freidel in goal, Naughton at LB, Capoue at RB (Rose injured, Kaboul injured, no one else on the bench for FB), Sandro and Paulinho in DM as Half Backs. Dembele back with them as DM. Townsend and Sigurdsson at MR and ML set on Defensive Wingers, Holtby in CM as BWM, and Lamela all alone in AMC as a Shadow Striker. The last was an attempt to offer something in the attacking third and keep them honest. It worked... almost. The injury time goal was the HBs getting caught upfield, and Friedel unable to sweep. Open goal. Score.

nhf5.png

I have stopped and started Spurs games for too long now. So I am after a bit advice, and thought this would be the best place to ask.. I am interested in playing the first formation mentioned, what is the best role for Soldado? And I want Beckham as my assistant, but his stats are poor, does this matter much? Also how much did you guys buy Lewandowski for? Any more recommendations for signings and who to sell would be muchly appreciated? Thanks in advance.

I have stopped and started Spurs games for too long now. So I am after a bit advice, and thought this would be the best place to ask.. I am interested in playing the first formation mentioned, what is the best role for Soldado? And I want Beckham as my assistant, but his stats are poor, does this matter much? Also how much did you guys buy Lewandowski for? Any more recommendations for signings and who to sell would be muchly appreciated? Thanks in advance.

1) I found Soldado performed best as a poacher, but he'll need ample support from a creative attacking midfield.

2) Your assistants stats are important, but only really depending on what you'll use him for. Are you going to need to trust his judgement on player abilities and development? Then he'll need good ratings for judging player ability and potential. If you'll want him to set opposition instructions he'll need good tactical knowledge. If he's going to be asked to take teamtalks he should have good motivation and man management stats, etc.

3) Not signed him myself, but I've had to pay through the nose for big signings over my first 4 years; £63m for Alaba, £40m for Pogba, £53m for Cavani, £45m for Javi Martinez.

4) You'll want a left back (and should sell Rose and Assou-Ekotto). I'd recommend looking at Baines, Alaba, Luke Shaw, and Ben Davies. You might also want to move Defoe and Adebayor along and get some back-up strikers (or those with potential in) - Aleksander Mitrovic is a good prospect. My favourite signings have been James Ward-Prowse, Will Hughes, Memphis Depay and Gabriel Iancu - and I know Eder Alvarez Balanta is usually a popular signing.

Good luck with the save, let us know how it goes.

A really really dissapointing season for me, won just the FA Cup, lost in EL Final against Man City, and finished 7th in EPL. My favourite team IRL, Liverpool got relegated :(

0f8z.png

And the future for the Reds doesnt look good at all.

9bpr.png

kv9h.png

And also since the latest update, my team seems to be outplayed, i think i need to change my tactics :|

I'm thinking of picking up Liverpool, and lead them back where they belong ... but it's hard to leave Spurs :)

A really really dissapointing season for me, won just the FA Cup, lost in EL Final against Man City, and finished 7th in EPL. My favourite team IRL, Liverpool got relegated :(

0f8z.png

And the future for the Reds doesnt look good at all.

9bpr.png

kv9h.png

And also since the latest update, my team seems to be outplayed, i think i need to change my tactics :|

I'm thinking of picking up Liverpool, and lead them back where they belong ... but it's hard to leave Spurs :)

Georgik, I would be quite interested if you could upload your save game or send a link to me as would like to lead the reds back up to where they belong??

Sorry but it's too late because i finished the following season, and Lpool finished 1st in Championship, while i finished 2nd in EPL and won FA cup again, while in EL lost in semis against Dortmund.

But i'll give you the save when i'll end my current season because Liverpool is last in the table and more than likely will be relegated again.

And i'm having a miserable season, my tactic doesnt seem to be working as i'm on 8th place ... really dissapointed ... i dont know if i'll play anymore after this season, i already won it all with Spurs and the passion isnt the same ... I'm also managing Holland, and i'm curious to see what i will do in Qatar.

Last 2 seasons table :

cm35.png

In normal conditions i should have won the title here, but Man Utd played flawlessly at times, even though i had 2 runs of at least 8 wins in a row, i still finished 2nd.

pqnj.png

This season was the most dissapointing one so far, having won just the Community Shield, finished 3 in my UCL Group and got knocked again in semis in EL ... I should have sold some of my players when i had big offers for them, because it's clear that i need fresh blood in the team, instead i decided to stick with the same group and make 1-2 transfers, but not for big name signings, the finances arent too good, it says okay instead of rich ... but i'm hoping that the next season will be better.

But look at Liverpool, finishing the season with just 16 points after they won the 2nd tier ... but they took 2 points from me =)) 2 draws ...

Also, something that i forgot to mention :

0u8b.png

m2ss.png

It seems that i made a big mistake by changing my style of managing in this career at Spurs. I usually sell my players if i receive a big offer and have decent backup, but in this save, after i sold players on good money in the first 3 seasons, and built a good team, i refused alot of money for my first team players, i should have sold Bernard when i received 50 mil from Barca or Werner to Real ... now i cant get 10 mil for Bernard, when he's 29 and on 180k/week ...

b0pc.png

df6g.png

I dont know what to do ... i'm inclined to try one more season with Spurs :)

The tough decision always comes. I've just been offered an interview for the Juventus job. I have a huge soft spot for them in real life and I'm really tempted, but I think I'll stick it out at Spurs. Need to set some challenges.

Georgik, that Liverpool save is really tempting too!

I made a good decision by staying at Spurs, this season the team is playing some great football, even though i got knocked out in League Cup i have a fantastic run of games won in the league (17 wins in a row stopped by a 1-1 away at Chelsea), sitting at the top for the moment.

I released Lewandowski and Bernard in the summer, sold Lamela to Inter on a free, because he was on insane wages and at 30 he didnt perform like he used too and i already had 2 great players on the right, and Illarra was loaned because he didnt want a mutual termination and it really paid off, the team seems fresh now.

Lesage, who is a player i loaned out to several teams really developed into a world class winger and it is a Spurs product :) Him and Jeroen de Reus are the only youth recruits who made it into the team ... Hopefully at least 2 more will take the step after they will comeback after i loaned them.

tykg.png

8wr9.png

vc54.png

Unfortunately, mainly because of injuries, Gabriel Barbosa really didnt develop in that World Class Striker i have hoped he will become, but still he scores important goals for me.

ipfe.png

This is my current tactic :

i0op.png

Won the EPL title, don't let the table fool you, i had 7 points ahead of Man Utd with 4 games remaining, but i "managed" to get 3 draws, just to play on the last day with the title at stake, really felt a pain in my stomach, but the boys did the job, won 4-1 away at Bournemouth and secured the title.

vki9.png

But to my shock, because of the finances, i will not be playing in the UCL :| A real bummer ... and i know where the problem is, it's my fault that i hired waaaay too many staff members ... and they are all on high wages, it's hard to get rid now of them ...

9t23.png

And i was really hoping that i will win the UCL next season, what a disgrace.

And it is the first time that this happens to me, i found it astonishing because at all the clubs that i managed, the finances were the first thing i took care of.

If nobody picks Balanta up in the first window, he often gets cheaper in summer I've found.

Nobody bothered buying him for two years in my save and then I picked him up for £3.8m. Weird how little interest there is in him given he's one of only a handful of players who start the game with world class potential (only others I've come across are Pogba and Marquinhos - and they'd both set you back £40m+ each)

As i expected, i won the league easily because i wasnt in any european competition, what is great is the fact that i have 9 players in my whole squad who are trained by me since youth, 6 of them from my Academy.

After i sacked some of the staff and sold some players i didnt need, i managed to balance the finances and made a good profit.

Anyway since i started this career (let alone the first 3 years), i think i'm the only club in top 4 that isnt making expensive transfers, in every season Man City, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are signing at least 1 player for 40-50 mil. I hope this season i'll make a good performance in the UCL to raise my finances, even though i'll not spend alot of money on transfers, i need it to improve the facilities which downgraded in time.

jy2a.png

I dont know how it was for you but for me Eriksen is the heartbeat of the team, sadly he is now 32, i think he has at most 2 years in him ... look at his stats :

smtw.png

And one more thing, and i need your help. I have a major dilemma :

kb5d.png

8zb9.png

I dont know what should i do, retrain one of them to be a AML ? Or sell one of them, but it's a hard decision, and i'm leaning towards selling Vendakis because Lesage is an academy player, and performs slighty better.

By the way, France in my career has a fantastic national squad ... they won 2018 and 2022 World Cups and 2024 European Championship ... seems like Deschamps really knows what he is doing ...

Georg,

Just curious, do you find any problems with your formation (4231 with MCs) i.e. playing a BWM/D and BBM/S, who both (even the BWM/D) close down alot leaving gaps and defensive problems etc?

I ask, as if you browse/read the tactical forums, then those two roles/duties are a 'no no' in a 4231 with MCs?

Most appear to have a CM/D with a DLP/S ...

I am really struggling, had to resign and start again.. After big advice on signings, staff and tactics, especially away, at home, I seem to 'hammer' teams but can't score or only score one then I'm forced to sit back.. Maybe my love for Beckham isn't helping either, any help is much appreciated.

Probably best to stick with Freund as assistant, to be honest. His stats developed very quickly on my save and I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

I find I need at least two tactical plans in place, one for games I think I'll dominate and another for the trickier games (and the end of games that proving trickier than I'd expected). Not to blow my own trumpet, but the tactics I posted in the opening posts have worked well for me - esp. the 4-2-3-1 with the left side attacking midfielder tucked in so the full back can bomb past him. Only tweak I'd suggest is to have the midfield duties set to CM-D and DLP-S - this seems to concede less space between them and the defence.

As for signings, no need to go nuts - it's a really good squad to start with. I imagine you'll find goals from Soldado hard to come by so it might be worth investing in a new striker if and when a top class one becomes available. Apart from that I think the only area that needs addressing is left back - have a look at Ben Davies.

Georg,

Just curious, do you find any problems with your formation (4231 with MCs) i.e. playing a BWM/D and BBM/S, who both (even the BWM/D) close down alot leaving gaps and defensive problems etc?

I ask, as if you browse/read the tactical forums, then those two roles/duties are a 'no no' in a 4231 with MCs?

Most appear to have a CM/D with a DLP/S ...

Yes i had some problems with the defence at times, but lately i changed to BWM/D and CM/S, and it seems to work better ... With BBM/s i had problems but not major ones, i think that it matters what players do you have at your disposal, but i still managed to win games, even without conceding, the main problem was that my striker didnt score alot of goals, but now i dont have it anymore, both my strikers are scoring alot of goals lately ...

I dont follow very much the tactics section of the forum because i like to make my own tactic, to try different styles until i find one that it suits me ... What do you suggest to change at my tactic ? I'm more than happy to hear more suggestions :) Maybe this is one of the reasons i won only 5 titles in 13 years, i thought it was the financial power of the big clubs that made the difference ... but i'm happy all in all with my achievements with Spurs, won 2 EL and UCL titles, also the domestic cups 3 times each ...

n88z.png

These are screens from my last 2 seasons :

9f2s.png

g0hn.png

Manchester City were just unstoppable in that season, i played good but they were almost perfect ...

Also they were bought by another owner, but still they have alot of money to spend ...

iv06.png

In the last season i won the treble, FA Cup, League Cup and UCL, in EPL i finished only 3rd ...

wn9i.png

My 2nd UCL overall. Really thrilling game, i missed alot of chances until my 90th minute goal.

izgo.png

What i find unique is neither Real Madrid or Barcelona played in the UCL final in my career even though they have strong teams ...

Also i won the World Cup with Italy, was really easy, because Italy has one of the best national teams in the World, alongside Argentina, Brazil, Germany and France, but France (who won it the last 2 times) was knocked out early, while Germany and Brazil even though they have great players they flop at WC, and i eliminated Argentina in second round, but they were missing some important players through injury and England went out in semis at my hands. So the final was against Holland, the other national team i managed at the previous World Cup but i was knocked out in the second round then and resigned.

ox09.png

What i like the most is how my youth players developed, i have 6 players from my academy who are now top players at my team (De Reus, Jacobs, O'Leary, James, Lesage, Wolland - he is the only one who didnt turned out in a top class player, but when he comes off the bench scores almost everytime :)) and also 5 more who i signed when they were 18 and are now first team players (Concepcion, Carrarra, Vinicius, Vendakis, Junior) , i have the screenshots of their stats at 18 and now but i dont want to flood the post with more screenshots :) I dont remember when i last signed a top player for alot of money, Real Madrid style, if i remember correctly, it was a regen striker for 18,5 mil who i sold to Real for 25 ...

The most expensive transfer done by me at Spurs was Alex Sandro for 28 mil.

It looks like you are doing fantastic with Spurs. I haven't played FM14 as yet, (I am still with FM13), so I can't really comment and I also heard that FM14 is harder than 13.

My tactic when I played 4-2-3-1 (with MCs) was as follows:

GK (SK/D if Lloris)

FB/A

CD/D

CD/D

FB/S

CM/D (MC)

DLP/S (MC)

IF/S

AP/S

W/A

Poacher

Control/Fluid usually with Short Passing

I made sure my CM/D was on the same side as my FB/A. Sometimes I would change the FB/A to a WB/A. The FB/A (WB/A) would overlap and be on the same side as the IF/S who cuts inside.

The FB/S on the same side as the W/A. The W/A had to have the skills for a winger etc, this was a nice balance using variety, movement and width.

My playmaker was the AP/S and the Poacher was the target man with run onto ball (who says this has died out!!!). ;-)

Thanks guys, really appreciate it, sorry to keep going on about, but I'm really stuck. Mame Biram Diouf any good? I signed Mandzukic before but he didn't cut it..

Nah, not good enough. Worse than all of the strikers at the club. Perservering with Soldado might not be a bad bet - there's very very few good strikers out there.

@codename thanks :)

sadly i was knocked out in semis in UCL by PSG , won 2-1 at home, and lost 4-2 away after 2-2 at HT , i changed the tactic to contain, play even safer, much lower tempo, waste time ... and they scored, then changed it back to attacking and i hit the post in the last seconds, drama all over it, maybe if i didnt changed the tactic i would have scored in the 2nd half ... PSG is the team that i hate the most ... could have been a north london derby in the ucl final against arsenal

and this will be a season without a trophy, let aside the supercups and world club champ ... finishing 2nd behind chelsea in the league, mourinho's last trophy as he is retiring, gladly i trashed him in the quarter finals, after 2-1 defeat at stamford bridge, i won 5-0 at the lane

Archived