[FM14] El Ricardo's Scottish Alternative

Just added a slighty updated file in the link. I noticed some of the 'move for TV' days were incorrect for cup matches - these have been rectified. Also, Falkirk Amateurs always seemed to be moved to the Grampian Combination after one season. I checked their regional divisions and found them blank. Now rectified. :)

Glad you're enjoying it! :D

If anybody is going to brave it with AFC Jura, let me know. They're officially the smallest and most remote created club in the database.

I will definitely take that challenge!

However, I'm waiting to hear if I've bagged a ridiculously high-powered job that could kill my FM time, so don't wait for me to post any reports! :(

I have started a game to see if with all those additional leagues the quantity and quality of regens would be higher compared to the traditional scottish setup. With the english file down to level 10, there were more decent regens right at the start of the game, while with this one I've had no decent regens at all which is strange. The youngest are 17 years old instead of 15 or 16.

I have also noted that there are countless managerial vacancies at the start of the game, and even by the end of october there are still many teams in search of a manager.

8th of march it's regen time: still approx. 60 managerial vacancies and more or less 250 assistant manager positions available.

To my surprise no regens were created for scottish teams!

The rest looks fine :-)

I won't be lowering my work; just making two files available. One advanced and one 'basic'. The things I changed in the advanced rules weren't a lot anyway. Besides, I want to use both of the files together too! :p

It may not even be anything to do with that. I believe it's a conflicting ID or some such. It's interesting how in timmytiger's screenshot, it mentions completely different competition errors to my loading screen. I'll have a look under the bonnet.

Edit: Turns out the 'basic file' idea is a non-starter - I'm still running into the problem. Despite using the editor an awful lot, I still consider myself something of a novice when it comes to spotting problems within databases, such as compatibility issues. If a wiser head could shed more light, it would be appreciated!

I'm guessing it's not the competition IDs conflicting? Tried merging the two files in the editor?

I've never had that problem gedro! It's the first report of it.

I'll be releasing v2.1 in the not too distant future. This will basically fix some issues with stadiums not allocating to the correct cup finals and improved match rules within the regional cups.

• 2 weeks later...

Havent been on for a while but I thought I would let you know how I`m getting on with your file, got the crash dumps sorted first turned out I had another file conflcting with it. Now on season 5, clydebank now in premiership and europe, not bothered about the cup venues or tv dates just enjoying your hard work. Thanks once again for putting the fun back in the game, I will probably download the latest version when I restart as an amatuer team.

• 1 month later...
Had a go loading this up but it won't let me select Scotland - not enough teams in the u-20 leagues. Anyone else had this problem or is it something I've done? It looks great so I'd love to be able to give it a go!

Are you using the spring-updated database or the default? You might try it with the default one, if you've tried to use the update.

I love these sorts of databases for the home nations; especially Scotland. On FM07 I did a league swap to get a fantasy separate Highlands & Islands nation on the go (based on the real clubs from their 'domestic' setups) so it would be interesting to give it a whirl with Thorfinn or Lerwick or the like. I think the prize of taking Third Lanark back to their former glory is just too attractive for the moment though. Then again, there is my alma mater just begging to go on a Team Bath-esque journey from humble beginnings in the Fife regional division... plenty of fun to be had! Really great work. Well done mate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm ready to play this now. I really want to play it.

But Steam Workshop is killing me - can't find any download button. Can you put an old fashioned link up? Cheers.

EDIT: Never mind, turns out I saved the file before I deleted FM14 in February. Reinstalled now altho little time to play.

I tinkered with the file in the editor to make AFC Jura truly the lowest rep playable club in the db, prior to managing them!

SECOND EDIT: Hey, after making alterations to the file, only the first 3 levels load - no amateur leagues or Jura! Why is that?

• 4 weeks later...

I've encountered a couple of minor issues:

1. With having no reserve/u 20/youth teams in the lower leagues. After a few seasons you end up with a first team squad of overly large size if you are bringing in good youth especially if you start from the very bottom leagues. You have nowhere to get them game time and keep half your squad match fit by sticking them in reserves and stuff. Perhaps expanding the U 20 leagues all the way down to the bottom and have them in the same format as the main team leagues would be beneficial and maybe raise it to U21 age cap and add an U18 team too for the top 3/4 leagues.

2. Teams in the lower divisions also have some pretty bad money problems even though the majority of them are amateur, match day expenses largely outweigh the income of them and they end up in pretty big debt for clubs of their size.

Now the only way to offset this would be to increase prize money throughout the leagues however that could make the set up largely unrealistic :/

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've encountered a couple of minor issues:

1. With having no reserve/u 20/youth teams in the lower leagues. After a few seasons you end up with a first team squad of overly large size if you are bringing in good youth especially if you start from the very bottom leagues. You have nowhere to get them game time and keep half your squad match fit by sticking them in reserves and stuff. Perhaps expanding the U 20 leagues all the way down to the bottom and have them in the same format as the main team leagues would be beneficial and maybe raise it to U21 age cap and add an U18 team too for the top 3/4 leagues.

I started with a squad of 17 teenagers. I'm up to 20 now and am determined to stop there. Even with me tumbling out of the cup compies early doors, we're still being hit with 2 games a week and I'm really struggling with the injury list and fatigue - I'm getting no training done as the lads need to rest between fixtures. But this is the sort of challenge I like!

Archived