Rivalries

Yeah id like to see this too, in my game southampton are regularly challenging for the premier league, after being taken over by a tycoon, and buying all the good players around, id like to see them atleast be mentioned as a rival in my team page. extra focus on rivals matches would be good too.

Disappointed to see this isn't dynamic. I'm playing as Sheffield in FM12 over the course of several seasons I've got them into League 1 and am top by 3 points half way through the season. Both Sheff Wed and Utd are in the Championship and if I manage to get promoted and spend a few seasons in the same division as them, surely (at the very least) a minor rivalry would develop?

Currently my rivals are Parkgate and Hallam who are something like 6 divisions below us, it'd be ridiculous for it to stay as only them even after I spend several years in the league.

I already played Sheff Utd in the 1st round of the League Cup in only my 2nd season as a league team and lost 2-1 after taking the lead!

Disappointed to see this isn't dynamic. I'm playing as Sheffield in FM12 over the course of several seasons I've got them into League 1 and am top by 3 points half way through the season. Both Sheff Wed and Utd are in the Championship and if I manage to get promoted and spend a few seasons in the same division as them, surely (at the very least) a minor rivalry would develop?

Currently my rivals are Parkgate and Hallam who are something like 6 divisions below us, it'd be ridiculous for it to stay as only them even after I spend several years in the league.

I already played Sheff Utd in the 1st round of the League Cup in only my 2nd season as a league team and lost 2-1 after taking the lead!

I agree that this type of "geographical" rivalry needs to be dynamic. There's no way Sheffield FC wouldn't have a fierce rivaly with Wedsnesday and United if they were in the same league. There also would be a fierce rivalry with my beloved Spireites as Sheffield FC actually play in Dronfield which smack bang next to Chesterfield.

Dynamic "historial" rivalries would be a lot harder to control and i could easily see it getting messy.

I'd like short term rivalries. Say I have a match and there are two red cards, a broken leg and a batch of yellows. The next game build up should focus on the previous fixture. Perhaps Mr Broken Leg is expected to shun Mr Red Card after a horror tackle in the previous fixture resulted in a broken leg keeping Mr Broken Leg out for 9 months.

The next time the teams meet, assuming the 2nd game was not a repeat, the 'injury' should be mentioned but the rivalry down to 50% then after that, assuming no further red cards / serious injuries the teams resort to the usual state.

I'd like short term rivalries. Say I have a match and there are two red cards, a broken leg and a batch of yellows. The next game build up should focus on the previous fixture. Perhaps Mr Broken Leg is expected to shun Mr Red Card after a horror tackle in the previous fixture resulted in a broken leg keeping Mr Broken Leg out for 9 months.

The next time the teams meet, assuming the 2nd game was not a repeat, the 'injury' should be mentioned but the rivalry down to 50% then after that, assuming no further red cards / serious injuries the teams resort to the usual state.

I agree this is a good idea, but I wonder if the fact is is so negative in mentality in terms of utopian sporting fairness might count against it, a bit like Fifa took deliberate shirt pulling and diving our of their games. That said, FM doesn't bear the FIFA license, and the fact that Fifa 13 has Stoke fans booing Ramsey for getting his leg broken shows that maybe times are changing.

I do think it would be a good implementation though, and would like to see it. The only problem would be if they manifested this in the current tiresome press conference system, but hopefully any future review of that would allow for this to be brought in without getting annoying.

p.s - stoke fans can boo who they want, I just find it strange fifa game celebrates this instance of it.

I agree that this type of "geographical" rivalry needs to be dynamic. There's no way Sheffield FC wouldn't have a fierce rivaly with Wedsnesday and United if they were in the same league. There also would be a fierce rivalry with my beloved Spireites as Sheffield FC actually play in Dronfield which smack bang next to Chesterfield.

Can't remember off the top of my head as I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I think Chesterfield are in League 1 with me, so that's a perfect opportunity for a local rivalry to develop right there.

Perfect example of this: Arsenal-Stoke. In a few years, when Pulis and especially Shawcross are no longer there and we've got no one to boo, I'm sure the relationship between the clubs will revert to how it was before!

Fifa 13 has Stoke fans booing Ramsey for getting his leg broken shows that maybe times are changing.

Are you serious?? I'm loading it up when I get home to check this out!

Does the rivalry actually have an impact in the game, apart from journalists asking different questions?

In previous versions, i've always found games against rivals (and cup finals) much harder than normal games, which has always annoyed me. Not so much this year though. They're still often blood and thunder affairs though, which is entirely correct and fine by me.

Does the rivalry actually have an impact in the game, apart from journalists asking different questions?

In previous years I have always found that in rival matches the team talks related to the fans had more of an impact, but I don't know if it is so straight forward in this verison.

I also think you see more bookings, but this very well could be just me seeing what I want to see.

Archived