FM 2013: Manchester United Team Guide : Who needs Batman when we have Robin!

matty2323

I’m in January of Season 1 and am looking for some good young English players to bulk up my squad – I’d prefer to take players in and develop them rather than buy finished articles – and I expect to let Giggs, Scholes and possibly Ferdinand go at the end of the season.

I’ve signed Will Hughes from Derby (M/AMC) to help fill gap of Giggs and Scholes long term.

Liking the look of Clyne at Southampton as back-up for Rafael. What about Luke Shaw – any use? Got Baines so could punt Evra and bring Shaw in if he’s any good.

Anyone signed Nathan Baker from Villa? Thought he looked quite decent as a squad member (for CL Groups, League Cup and that) – he’d probably be behind Vidic, Jones, Smalling, Evans too probably – is he better than Scott Wootton?

Any other good young Englishman?

PS....I’d like to keep Giggs as Player/Coach (mainly for Coach and Tutor) but he wants £55k/week for the privilege. He’ll hardly play in Season 2 so is it worth it?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaw is good, but need time to reach his potential.

And try to sign giggs and scholes right before their contract expired (I sign them one day before the contracts expired).

I sign Giggs for 30k and Scholes for 24k. I will try to this every year until they resign then offer a coach contract. Beside, their coach stat is not good enough in season two, probably need some more coaching qualification before they become good coach.

Thanks, sounds like Shaw will be a good to have as a back-up to Baines who I’ll probably get 4 or 5 seasons out of. I could also let PSG have Evra at the end of Season 1 seeing as they’re banging out weekly News Items about wanting him.

How much would I expect to pay for the likes of Shaw and Clyne? If I wait until So’ton are relegated would I be able to scoop them for bargain prices?

End of Season 2 review (2013/2014)

After managing to win the Champions League, two seasons running and picking up the Premiership again, two seasons running, the new board allocated me £94m to spend, while also upgrading the training facilities, expanding the stadium and getting me Zenit as a feeder club for first option on players. This new chairman isn't so bad!

The Summer of 2014 has been interesting so far, with Rio and Giggs retiring, I was offered £25.5m by PSG for the vastly underperforming Kagawa, and £23.5m for Nani by Real Madrid, so I accepted both offers. I decided to replace Nani with Neymar, who cost me the crazy fee of £54m, but to improve my dominant team, these are the types of players I need to be signing.

Lewandowski arrived on a free transfer to bolster the strike force, and the opportunity came up to sign Jack Wilshere(After Wenger retired and Diego Simeone took charge), for £23.5m from under the noses of Manchester City. Following in the footsteps of RVP :D

After all that, I have £37m remaining, but I'm happy with the squad, I would be tempted in Alaba or Hummels but neither are interested in moving as of yet. Alternatively, Luke Shaw might be a good investment at LB.

On top of that, after winning the World Cup, Roy Hodgson stepped down and I was offered the job as England manager.

Season    League                 League Finish   FA Cup     League Cup  Europe        Charity Shield     Super Cup    World Club Cup    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Premier League         1st             Winners    Winners     CL Winners    N/A                N/A          N/A               Manager of Year
2013/14   Premier League         1st             5th Round  3rd Round   CL Winners    Runners Up         Winners      Winners           Manager of Year

Using the old database, I manage to buy shaw for around 3M in the June transfer window. In my save soton fight very hard to avoid the relegation. Try check their contract detail they probably have relegation clause which can help you. Or you can try to unsettle them

Using the old database, I manage to buy shaw for around 3M in the June transfer window. In my save soton fight very hard to avoid the relegation. Try check their contract detail they probably have relegation clause which can help you. Or you can try to unsettle them

I had a £15m bid rejected. :(

Slightly surprised to see no mention of Mohamed Diame in the thread. I signed him from West Ham in Jan 2013 thanks to his paltry £3.5m Release Clause. I like to play two sitting midfielders so will rotate between Carrick, Fletcher, Nainggolan and Diame for the spots now that Giggs and Scholes are heading downhill fast. As I say, an absolute snip at £3.5m.

For those a few years in, what sort of contracts are the players asking for ? I'm at the start of the 3rd season (2014) and a lot of contracts are up in 2016. I thought I'd sort a couple out now so there wouldn't be so many all expiring at once. De Gea wants 135k plus a 30 k clean sheet bonus and the best I can get him down to is 125k. Looking at other keepers, Cech is on 100 k & Harts on 80k.

Rafael's asking for 90 k, again won't budge at all. Cleverley wants 70k and 23k appearance bonus. There doesn't seem to be any real negotiation, I've offered big signing bonuses but that doesn't make too much difference really.

I'd like to keep the squad together but at this rate everyone's going to be on 100k + with even squad players there or there abouts.

Seba Gibbon

I signed De Gea to a new deal worth £91,000 p/w in March 2014 and that doesn't expire until 2019. There was a bit of to-ing and thro-ing, but not that bad.

Maybe you're just leaving it too late? I mean I did Cleverly and Rafael in summer 2013 and they're on £40,000 and £65,000 p/w respectively and contracted until 2018.

Seba Gibbon

I signed De Gea to a new deal worth £91,000 p/w in March 2014 and that doesn't expire until 2019. There was a bit of to-ing and thro-ing, but not that bad.

Maybe you're just leaving it too late? I mean I did Cleverly and Rafael in summer 2013 and they're on £40,000 and £65,000 p/w respectively and contracted until 2018.

I think you're right, i resigned Nani in season 1 to a contract that was the same as his current one, 45k. Also got Jonny Evans signed for 65k a week. Also got Rooney signed on the same terms only adding a 150 k bonus if he gets 30 goals. Thats the problem, the ones I left are now asking for a huge increase.

Just playing around seeing what everyone is asking for now:

Rafael - 94k from 40k

Welbeck - 105k from 50k

Kagawa 125k from 60k

De Gea - 130k from 50k

I know they're going to want pay rises after winning back to back European Cups (got lucky!) but the lack of negotiating is a bit crazy. My 2 major signings have been Thiago & Neymar and I got them on 65k & 70 k per week. Anyone starting out lock up anyone you see as key early on !

Just to add to the above, I tried negotiating with Welbeck. I was aiming to get him to around 70-80 k a week, offering a 4.5 mil bonus to him and 4.5 mil to the agent and he came down from asking for 105 k to ..... 100 k. Welbecks a good player and home grown but my 1st choices are Rooney and Neymar, with him and Chicharito rotating. With all the bonuses if he scores then he'll get 126 k, bit steep for a rotational player.

my Wage budget is fudged

been holding off on new contracts for ages, not got anyone on rediculous money either top players on top wages of course but other then that :/ even streamlined the defence by selling smalling and Evans

FA cup progression, beat swindon 3-0 in the next round also

63E83239D98DFF73289F559B25905C89F88E02A5

A355AA3B785518379D0CB0EA1DA05EEA972A6058

and Liverpool? well....... they failed to beat Port Vale TWICE!!!

5FB55BE7CB2F78F850C5E6C306C466FADD2917E7

and Shaw is developing well, Evra tutoring. his pace looks good, his crossing and dribbling looks good, he is turning into Alaba :D

if you compare to the screenshot of him 6 months previous, he has developed very well already

There are a lot of "tricks" that may or may not work for negotiating contract:

1. Negotiate at the very end of their contract. This usually works if their favorite team are MU or their favorite person is you.

2. Give whole lot of bonus that they probably never achieve. I normally offer a big bonus if a CB score 20 goals

3. Play with their agent fee, but check the agent personalities first. There are some honest agent in FM that will thinking the player rather than the agent

4. Give a high minimum release clause

any other tricks?

Does anyone else find it's hard trying to reshape a club you love? I cannot remove my personal feelings from this game. Stupid I know, but I should be able to sell players that don't fit into my plans but it's difficult. Even changing the coaching staff is tough.

Thanks for the replies on my contract problems. I've tried all sorts with De Gea who's asking for 130 k, 39 k clean sheet bonus & 13k appearance bonus. I offered him 100 k left the bonuses at what he was asking and offered him and his agent 7.5 mil each. No deal, would not budge from 130 k.

ter-Stegen is transfer listed at 20 million, put a bid in and he'll sign for 65k a week, 10 k clean sheet, 6.5 appearance fee. Offered De Gea out at 50 million and Barca offered 50 mil all up front as Valdes has just left them on a free. Shame as I was hoping to keep De Gea as number 1 all the way through this save but the wages he's asking for and the lack of negotiation is frustrating.

Anybody managed to sign Bale post update how much did he cost you? I have arsenal intrested in Young - might sell him for 27m.

I just got the game (latest patch) and played the first month of the prem. Praised Bale and expressed interest at start of game, then did the same one month later. Made an offer for 10M & 30M over 4yrs and Spurs counted with 11+40M and 15% profit, which I accepted. Sandro got upset with Spurs and requested a tsfr but I already had Fellaini by then.

UnitedConsortiumTakeover1_zpsa1c6ed93.png

UnitedConsortiumTakeover2_zpse154b819.png

Happy with this. It might not state it on these two news items, but the consortium have completely whiped out the clubs debts following an investment of £203million, and upped the amount available to me from player sales from 60% to 100%.

I've noticed players tend to sign for A.I. teams for less than what you offer. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me but hey, that's FM.

I think you want to be posting over in GD with that sort of nonsense. Most users in there are conspiracy theorists aswell.

Won the league in my second season. Failed to win anything else though, going to make sure I win more in the 3rd season, want the Champions League desperately! Didn't make any major changes over the summer. Pogba and the pre-agreed Zouma were the only major transfers I made, with Young, Carrick, Valencia, Ferdinand and Amos departing. Just started the third season, won the Community Shield again, and after a disappointing loss to Sunderland, we came back with an awesome 5-0 win against Arsenal withRooney getting all 5 goals. I did make a few other transfers, but they were almost all regens, with 2 promising left backs, another awesome looking young striker and a right winger. My only other transfer, was Victor Valdes in on a free. He's only on a 1 year deal, and has primarily been brought in to tutor my regen keeper, but been using him in place of De Gea, and he's done really well.

Also, just been taken over at the start of the 3rd season, and its by a tycoon local businessman Robin Sparrow. He's promised to pump £400m into the club, has yet to put any in, but I've got my fingers crossed that he'll put plenty of money in, and wipe out the debts. In a good financial position without a tycoon though, with £75m in the bank, and £35m available for transfers. Reckon it could be a promising 3rd season.

Really struggling to get this team to perform. Lucky to win the first three games of the season and finally came unstuck against bottom of the league Aston Villa, managing just one shot on target. Van Persie just as well not turn up. I've tried him in many positions through pre-season and the start of the season but he has stuggled to get anywhere near a 7 rating and is still yet to score.

The players are struggling to motivate themselves to play for Vidic as captain for some reason and Kagawa is having trouble with the language, despite being a basic English speaker. This is nothing like managing Bayern. I've even tried with the formation and tactics that got me 72 games in a row without losing to no avail.

Udinese up next... Back to basics. 4-4-2

Battered FM this weekend :D

Started the third season, winning the Charity Shield, Super Cup and World Club Cup. Also won the League Cup but was knocked out of the FA Cp 3rd round by Blackpool :(

I'm at the beginning of March now, the league is all but won. I've only lost 3 (WBA and Man City away, and Blackpool away in FA Cup) and drawn 1 (Chelsea away) in all competitions so far this season - pretty impressive. :)

Had a problem with Fabio in the final week of the Summer transfer window, Arsenal bid £9m and he got unhappy that I didn't accepted it. We had a chat, then he said I needed to match his ambition, so I replied that we would win the Champions League this season, to which he said that he didn't think we would win it. Even though I've won it two years running :rolleyes: and the club I rejected this bid from, being Arsenal, finished 9th and are not even in Europe.

He decided to stay and see how it went. Anyway, after that, I decided to sell the little waster to PSG for £22.5. :D And brought in Luke Shaw to replace him. Seriously though, Fabio was a squad player, what's he doing mouthing off?

Season    League                 League Finish   FA Cup     League Cup  Europe        Charity Shield     Super Cup    World Club Cup    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13   Premier League         1st             Winners    Winners     CL Winners    N/A                N/A          N/A               Manager of Year
2013/14   Premier League         1st             5th Round  3rd Round   CL Winners    Runners Up         Winners      Winners           Manager of Year
2014/15   Premier League         -               3rd Round  Winners     -             Winners            Winners      Winners           -

When in the game are people finding the Glazers sell up? I'm seeing tomtuck01 with a Nov '14. Is this about average? I'm about to commence Season 2 and there hasn't been anything at all about a takeover yet so maybe i'm too early.

August 2013 I got bought out.

I think you want to be posting over in GD with that sort of nonsense. Most users in there are conspiracy theorists aswell.

So you say it doesn't happen at all?

Example. Jack Wilshere wanted out of City on £275k a week. Came down to a straight fight between us and Chelsea for him. He wouldn't budge of £300k of me (I ain't paying that for anyone bar Messi) yet he joins Chelsea for £235k a week. Hazard joined Barcelona on the same wage he was on at Chelsea (£185k I think) yet wanted £250k a week of me. It does happen.

So you say it doesn't happen at all?

Example. Jack Wilshere wanted out of City on £275k a week. Came down to a straight fight between us and Chelsea for him. He wouldn't budge of £300k of me (I ain't paying that for anyone bar Messi) yet he joins Chelsea for £235k a week. Hazard joined Barcelona on the same wage he was on at Chelsea (£185k I think) yet wanted £250k a week of me. It does happen.

I never said it didn't happen. However, what you said suggested that you think it happens constantly, which is just complete and utter tosh.

Archived