The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

Alba moves to Barca for £11.5m, i do not think i have been so envious of a transfer since when we missed out on Michael Essien. I know we were never in the running but what a steal bearing in mind that Leppards mob will probably ask for more than that for Leighton Baines. (English player premium can gtf)

Yeah, we'd want at least £20m, if not £25m. Now that the Euros are over, I'm really really scared he'll move somewhere else :(

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will happen I am sure but for around the £15m that has been touted. No way will you get £25m for him.

Firstly, unless Baines really wants to leave Everton and tells Moyes so, he won't be sold, as Moyes doesn't want to see his best players leaving, especially after we finally have something that resembles a proper team. Secondly, as our only left-back and a very good one at that, he's worth a fair amount to us. Thirdly, you'll be paying extra because Baines is English. I can't see anything less than £20m, tbh.

Im sorry but he isn't great. You seem to have an inflated opinion over how good he is and what he is worth..

And you seem to have a very low opinion of him. He is a great left-back but doesn't get the recognition because he's not playing for a CL club, and I'm perfectly fine with that. And I don't care what he's worth because that matters very little. What matters more is what he's worth to us, and that is easily a lot more than you think. Do you think Berbs was worth 30m? I grant that Bill Kenwright is no Daniel Levy but the point still stands.

Was Berba worth 30m? Hell no but we bought him on deadline day and left Spurs with no time to get in a replacement. Oh no wait, they got Campbell (on loan) from us :D Probably demanded a couple extra million for taking him tbf...

Oh and we were in a bidding war with City ffs!

Couldn't have chosen a worse transfer to compare this to

We'll be disappointed as hell to just get 15m for Baines. :D If Stewart Downing can go for 20m... besides, if you remove the extra you'd be paying just for him being English, it'd come down to something like 7m, which is just laughable.

As I said, Baines won't be sold unless he tells Moyes he wants to leave. I haven't seen an indication that that's the case yet.

Baines isn't a great left back, he's a very good one. He's also going to be almost 28 by the time he moves, quite a few years younger than Dani Alves was (when a far superior player) moved for £30m and there is no chance Baines will go for anything like that amount.

We'll want him for £12m, Everton will want £20m, we'll offer £15m, they'll ask for £17m and it wont happen and we'll look somewhere else.

Stewart Downing: And English player (which is apparantly worth 8m) who plays in an attacking position (which is always worth more than a defensive one, rightly or wrongly). He went to Liverpool under the same stewardship that thought ANDY CARROLL WAS WORTH 35 MILLION.

So we'll be having Baines for 3p and a packet of crisps if you want to stick to another poor comparison

He is English. Automatically add around 8m to his regular value.

I already have, you aren't selling to City, Barca or Real Madrid. An almost 28 year old leftback isn't moving for £20m, you'll hold on another year then sell him for £10m to a lesser club.

Baines' value of £20 million has nothing to do with him being English and everything to do with him being the best left-back in the world.

Yeah, it's a rubbish valuation because he isn't the best leftback in the world :D

If we sign him for £25m I'll be gutted frankly :D I'll be happy if we paid £12m (what he's actually worth) passive if we pay £15m and livid if we waste 17m on a leftback who isn't going to improve at all.

Aren't enough grinning smilies in the world for that.

Baines is amazy.

That said, he won't come to us for £25m simply because we have bigger issues and limited funds. Only way I can see him going anywhere is if Moyes decides he'd rather improve the squad as a whole; if Chelsea or city aren't enticed then it'll be a case of whether the £17m odd we'd be willing to part with is sufficient for him to do that. Fee's not that daft when you consider it's similar to what we reportedly paid for Young, who's only 7 months older.

But yeah, he's quality. Would love him here despite the fact that he'd be usurping cult hero Paddy :'(

Lahm is a right-back :(

Lahm is a better leftback than Baines regardless of which side he plays on for the national team.

Fee's not that daft when you consider it's similar to what we reportedly paid for Young, who's only 7 months older.

Apart from when we signed Young he'd be a year and 7 months younger than if we sign Baines.

I already have, you aren't selling to City, Barca or Real Madrid. An almost 28 year old leftback isn't moving for £20m, you'll hold on another year then sell him for £10m to a lesser club.

Spot on, Baines to move to Spurs for £8 million next summer. :thup:

Isn't irrelevant. Lahm being better than Baines doesn't mean Baines isn't easily the best left-back in the league.
Baines' value of £20 million has nothing to do with him being English and everything to do with him being the best left-back in the world.
Still lol'ing at Zaitsev trying to claim Baines is better than Lahm to do that tbh.

Yeah... it is.

Archived