Im Elmo and i know it! - A career across Europe

acidmonkey

30hvfxj.png

October Update

Sunderland 1 - 0 Sheffield United (npower Championship)

Sunderland won a hard fought battle against Sheffield United on a fine autumn afternoon at The Stadium of Light.

Sunderland's winner came through Osvaldo Bonaiuti as he seized on Zac Robinson's mistake to score a penalty.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Sunderland have so far confounded their critics as the pre-season relegation candidates currently lie 16th in the npower Championship table.

Man of the Match: Rick Dillon (Sunderland)

Attendance: 26,476

Sunderland 2 - 1 Watford (npower Championship)

Sunderland won a hard fought battle against Watford on a fine autumn afternoon at The Stadium of Light. A brace from David McDonald helped Sunderland to victory.

Striker David McDonald gave Sunderland the lead with a curled effort from eighteen yards in the 38th minute. Experienced midfielder Carl Holzman then equalised for Watford in the 43rd minute with a firm diving header from inside the six-yard box.

McDonald scored what proved to be the winner in the 65th minute with a fierce shot. Watford also saw their 85th minute strike questionably chalked off.

Sunderland have so far confounded their critics as the pre-season relegation candidates currently lie 14th in the npower Championship table.

Man of the Match: Thomas Nekos (Sunderland)

Attendance: 22,423

Rotherham United 1 - 2 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Rotherham United on a fine autumn evening at Rotherham Community Stadium.

Enthusiastic striker Liam Wilson gave Rotherham United the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 27th minute. Striker David McDonald then equalised for Sunderland in the 46th minute with a close range effort.

Then followed controversy as Sunderland were denied claims by winger Osvaldo Bonaiuti for a penalty. Midfielder Dan Massey then clinched a late winner on 81 minutes with a shot from eighteen yards out.

Massey's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship so far this season and find themselves in 10th place.

Man of the Match: David McDonald (Sunderland)

Attendance: 7,681

Sunderland 4 - 2 Stevenage (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 4 - 2 winners over Stevenage at The Stadium of Light. A brace from Tony Agus helped Sunderland to victory.

Experienced striker Gareth Partington showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted Sunderland a goal on 2 minutes. Full-back Jon Smart suffered the ignominy of scoring a calamitous own goal in the 2nd minute on the clock. Partington equalised for Stevenage in the 15th minute with an incisive finish.

Striker Tony Agus put Sunderland in front in the 19th minute with an attempt which went in off the frame of the goal. Agus had no trouble in scoring from the spot when Asamoah conceded a penalty. Partington managed to pull one back for Stevenage after 50 minutes with a good header from just inside the six-yard box but it was to be nothing more than a consolation.

Then followed controversy as Sunderland were denied claims by Agus for a penalty. Stevenage were nearly gifted a goal on 73 minutes through David McDonald's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

McDonald completed the scoring for Sunderland with an accurate finish on 92 minutes.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 8th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Gareth Partington (Stevenage)

Attendance: 25,477

Sheffield Wednesday 0 - 6 Sunderland (npower Championship)

The final score of 6 - 0 was fully deserved as Sunderland totally controlled their npower Championship game against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. The highlight of the game was undoubtedly a superb hat-trick from Sunderland's David McDonald.

Striker David McDonald got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring a fierce shot after just one minute. An error from Sheffield Wednesday's Alex Birchall allowed defensive midfielder Alain Mahamat to score a real poacher's effort. McDonald added his 2nd goal of the game with a shot from the edge of the area on 55 minutes.

Sheff Wed captain Alan Reid compounded the misery for Sheffield Wednesday on 61 minutes with an embarrassing own-goal. McDonald added his 3rd goal of the game with a fine header from point-blank range on 72 minutes.

Full-back Boy Villareal completed the rout with a fine header from point-blank range on 82 minutes.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 6th place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 14,854

League after 14 games

5th QPR 26 Points

6th Sunderland 25 Points

7th Fulham 24 Points

8th Leicester 23 Points

Inconsistency at its best! I seem to have a month where I’ll lose all my games a perform like my players have never met each other, then ill have a month like this where I destroy all comers. The win over my old club Sheff Wed was particularly pleasing if I’m honest, Next month will be huge for two reasons as I think the league is settling down, and it will define where ill be, and also because the big Tyne-Wear derby is next month as we travel to the discount tracksuit thunderdome for my first derby.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How far off second?
played one game more and im 4 points behind second i think if i go up again im going to struggle massivly!
Booo! Hisss! Mackems... :D

;-)

lol its the big one next got the Mags next....

Booo! Hisss! Mackems... :D

;-)

Probably not the best idea to mock Mackems when the mod is one and can quite easily change the title of your thread to "I'm Daz and I love Sunderland AFC, Kevin Phillips is my god"

Pretty sure I should put one of those winking face things here but I never use them.

Probably not the best idea to mock Mackems when the mod is one and can quite easily change the title of your thread to "I'm Daz and I love Sunderland AFC, Kevin Phillips is my god"

Pretty sure I should put one of those winking face things here but I never use them.

Haha :D

You are just a Geordie wannabe... ;-)

30hvfxj.png

November Update

Sunderland 2 - 1 Leeds United (npower Championship)

Sunderland battled to a deserved 2 - 1 victory over Leeds United on a fine autumn evening in their npower Championship game at The Stadium of Light.

Full-back Thomas Nekos gave Sunderland the lead with a good header from just inside the six-yard box in the 38th minute. Striker Tony Agus doubled Sunderland's lead with a fierce shot on 59 minutes.

Striker Anton Ward's 80th minute strike proved the only consolation for Leeds United.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 5th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Rick Dillon (Sunderland)

Attendance: 34,215

Newcastle United 4 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

In a surprisingly one-sided encounter at St. James' Park, Newcastle United defeated Sunderland 4 - 0. A brace from Jakub Dvorak helped Newcastle to victory.

Experienced midfielder Alexandre Lecomte gave Newcastle United the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 11th minute. An error from Sunderland's Dan Massey allowed midfielder Kieran Bellamy to score a deftly executed finish. Dvorak scored with a fierce shot in the 47th minute to extend the lead further.

There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 63 minutes as that man Dvorak popped up again with an effort from the edge of the area which curled past the goalkeeper. Sunderland were nearly gifted a goal on 77 minutes through Neil Clarke's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 8th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Jakub Dvorak (Newcastle)

Attendance: 30,546

Birmingham City 3 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland were on the end of a deserved defeat at St. Andrews as they were completely outplayed by their opponents.

Things did not get off to a good start for Sunderland as winger Lea Childs seized on an error by Rick Dillon to score a well timed close range finish. Striker Shpëtim Bushati doubled Birmingham City's lead with a real poacher's effort on 9 minutes.

Striker Donovan Hume completed the rout with a close range header on 91 minutes.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 11th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Jim Came (Birmingham)

Attendance: 21,625

Sunderland 0 - 2 Leicester City (npower Championship)

Sunderland will be wondering what might have been this morning after a close encounter with Leicester turned into a 2 - 0 victory for their opponents.

Things did not get off to a good start for Sunderland as Burkina Faso captain Moussa Sanou seized on an error by Rick Dillon to score a placed shot. Striker Ryan Russell finally rounded off their victory on 64 minutes with an accurate finish from inside the penalty area.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 12th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Moussa Sanou (Leicester)

Attendance: 25,589

Sunderland 2 - 0 Derby County (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 2 - 0 winners over Derby County at The Stadium of Light.

Striker David McDonald gave Sunderland the lead with a placed shot in the 37th minute. Striker Tony Agus finally rounded off their victory on 46 minutes with a simple finish from close in.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 12th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Tony Agus (Sunderland)

Attendance: 22,911

League after 19 games

10th Brighton 31 Points

11th Middlesborough 31 Points

12th Sunderland 31 Points

13th Watford 29 Points

14th Blackpool 25 Points

Well the month started well but the defeat to Newcastle hurt me big time, they are expected to finish mid-table after spending 6 years in the championship the worst part is we had chances to score but failed to take them but Newcastle took theirs and it ended up a score that flattered them I need to beat them at home I can let them do the double over us! The defeat to the mag hurt us though as we went on a three game run where we couldn’t even score it hurt morale but the Derby game helped fix some of that but we are back in mid-table again heading into December.

30hvfxj.png

December Update

Queens Park Rangers 3 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland were on the end of a deserved defeat at Loftus Road as they were completely outplayed by their opponents. A brace from Nicky Duff helped Q.P.R. to victory.

Striker Nicky Duff gave Queens Park Rangers the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 17th minute. It was a superb solo effort and Duff looked delighted. Duff added his 2nd goal of the game with a well executed finish on 53 minutes.

Phillips scored with a fierce shot in the 62nd minute to extend the lead further. It was a superb solo effort and Phillips looked delighted. Striker David McDonald pulled one back for Sunderland after 82 minutes with a close range finish which was timed impeccably.

Man of the Match: Nicky Duff (Q.P.R.)

Attendance: 13,146

Sunderland 0 - 1 Fulham (npower Championship)

A fine afternoon at The Stadium of Light saw Fulham come out on top against a surprisingly lacklustre Sunderland side.

Things turned sour for Sunderland when defensive midfielder Alain Mahamat earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 37 minutes. Then followed controversy as Fulham were denied claims by Fulham captain Eddie Dodd for a penalty.

Fulham's winner came through Magno as he seized on Danny Wilkin's mistake to score a placed shot. Magno's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

With Sunderland staring at defeat, there was controversy as midfielder Raphaël Renault then had a penalty shout turned down.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Sunderland have so far confounded their critics as the pre-season relegation candidates currently lie 13th in the npower Championship table.

Man of the Match: Magno (Fulham)

Attendance: 23,851

Huddersfield Town 3 - 2 Sunderland (npower Championship)

A fine afternoon at The Galpharm Stadium saw Huddersfield Town come out on top against a surprisingly lacklustre Sunderland side.

Striker James Owusu gave Huddersfield Town the lead with an accurate finish in the 18th minute. Young goalkeeper Matty Porter ensured things went from bad to worse for Sunderland on 22 minutes with an embarrassing own-goal.

Full-back Duncan Sharp was left red-faced in the 25th minute as he managed to put the ball into his own net. Gibbs scored with a header in the 29th minute to extend the lead further.

Striker Joe McCready pulled one back for Sunderland after 42 minutes with an accurate finish.

Sunderland's three straight defeats have seen the relegation candidates drop to 13th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Silva (Huddersfield)

Attendance: 5,964

Sunderland 1 - 2 Colchester United (npower Championship)

Colchester United battled their way to a 2 - 1 victory in this evenly-matched contest between two hard-working teams.

Sunderland were nearly handed the lead in the 26th minute through Jamie Archibald's lapse in concentration but failed to capitalise. Rowley scored from the penalty spot after Mellor gave away a penalty. Striker Craig Kamara doubled Colchester United's lead with a tidy finish on 35 minutes.

Striker David McDonald's 74th minute strike proved the only consolation for Sunderland.

Sunderland's four straight defeats have seen the relegation candidates drop to 14th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Osvaldo Bonaiuti (Sunderland)

Attendance: 23,671

Oxford United 5 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

In a result few would have bet on, Sunderland were played off the park by a rampant Oxford United.

Holsgrove was able to keep his composure to score from the spot after Hanley gave away a penalty. Young striker Ilija Milovanovic doubled Oxford United's lead with a tidy finish on 44 minutes.

Gilbey scored with a shot from the edge of the area in the 78th minute to extend the lead further. Things went from bad to worse for Sunderland as full-back Thomas Nekos earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 81 minutes.

An error from Sunderland's Matty Porter allowed striker Scott Russo to score a tame effort from close to goal. Bosnia & Herz. Under 21s captain Miroslav Vuk completed the rout with a close range header on 90 minutes.

Sunderland's five straight defeats have seen the relegation candidates drop to 16th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Danny Lewis (Oxford)

Attendance: 9,151

Table after 24 games

15th Blackpool 32 points

16th Sunderland 32 Points

17th Rotherham 26 Points

18th Stevenage 26 Points

Ok now im in real trouble here! 2 wins in 10 has seen us slump massively, we are plummeting towards the bottom of the table I need to do something to change to get us back up and running in the league we had issues with red cards, and a run of games against the top 4 which is harsh for me but we need to get going again

A couple of poor months, don't go getting relegated lol.

ill try not too,

been looking at the premier league winners in my save:

in 21 seasons:

Man City - 13

Arsenal - 3

Blackburn - 3

Tottenham - 1

Man Utd - 1

30hvfxj.png

January Update

Sunderland 1 - 0 Brighton and Hove Albion (npower Championship)

Sunderland recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Brighton and Hove Albion on a fine afternoon at The Stadium of Light.

The first noteworthy incident of the match proved to be controversial, with Brighton and Hove Albion seeing a goal disallowed. Midfielder Danny Wilkin gave Sunderland the lead with a screamer from well outside the area in the 73rd minute.

Sunderland were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Sunderland have so far confounded their critics as the pre-season relegation candidates currently lie 14th in the npower Championship table.

Man of the Match: Danny Wilkin (Sunderland)

Attendance: 21,572

Sunderland 1 - 1 Barnsley (npower Championship)

After a 1 - 1 draw at The Stadium of Light against Sunderland, a key member of the Barnsley side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this npower Championship fixture with a draw.

Striker David McDonald gave Sunderland the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 27th minute. It was a superb solo effort and McDonald looked delighted. Osvaldo Bonaiuti's game ended early as he was sent off for a vicious foul on 41 minutes.

Christian Prout was sent off in the 73rd minute, heading for an early bath after a vicious foul. With Sunderland already beginning to celebrate, midfielder Peter Graham then scored a real poacher's effort in injury-time to snatch the equaliser for Barnsley.

Better late than never for Barnsley and the fans were clearly delighted with Graham's impact.

Attendance: 22,077

Sunderland 1 - 0 Newport County (FA Cup 3rd Rnd)

Sunderland showed their superiority in a 1 - 0 victory over Newport County during their English FA Cup Third Round game at The Stadium of Light, but they could and should have scored more.

Young striker Kieron Marsden gave Sunderland the lead with a close range finish which was timed impeccably in the 31st minute. Midfielder Dan Massey's red card for a vicious foul on 77 minutes put Sunderland's position under question.

Sunderland had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Man of the Match: Jonny Mellor (Sunderland)

Attendance: 14,127

Bradford City 0 - 3 Sunderland (npower Championship)

A sturdy defence and a battling midfield display were the foundations upon which Sunderland built their 3 - 0 victory over Bradford City this afternoon. A brace from Raphaël Renault helped Sunderland to victory.

Young striker Kieron Marsden got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring a placed shot after just one minute. Midfielder Raphaël Renault doubled Sunderland's lead with a well executed finish on 23 minutes.

Things went from bad to worse for Bradford City as midfielder Dean McBride earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 53 minutes. There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 77 minutes as that man Renault popped up again with a real poacher's effort.

Sunderland are currently enjoying a three match unbeaten run which has seen the relegation candidates occupy 13th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Raphaël Renault (Sunderland)

Attendance: 13,262

Blackpool 2 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Despite battling hard Sunderland were unable to prevent a superior Blackpool side coming away from Bloomfield Road with a 2 - 1 victory.

Blackpool captain Dennis Duodu gave Blackpool the lead with a close range header in the 32nd minute. An error from Sunderland's Boy Villareal allowed striker Adam Lake to score a simple finish from close in. Midfielder Raphaël Renault's 85th minute strike proved the only consolation for Sunderland.

Man of the Match: Adam Lake (Blackpool)

Attendance: 7,938

Sunderland 0 - 3 Swansea City (FA Cup 4th Rnd)

In an even game at The Stadium of Light, Swansea City came away with victory in their English FA Cup Fourth Round match.

The first incident of note was on 21 minutes as Sunderland were denied claims by Jonny Mellor for a penalty. An error from Sunderland's Daniel Hanley allowed striker Vyacheslav Laizans to score a tidy finish. Experienced striker Ryan Mackay doubled Swansea City's lead with a finish executed with aplomb on 45 minutes.

Midfielder Ibrahim Boakye completed the rout with a well timed close range finish on 63 minutes. Full-back Thomas Nekos then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Swansea City another goal on 81 minutes.

Man of the Match: Ibrahim Boakye (Swansea)

Attendance: 37,261

Table after 28 games

11th Newcastle 43 Points

12th Watford 39 Points

13th Sunderland 38 Points

14th Colchester 38 Points

15th Blackpool 37 Points

Well a solid enough month for us as we have clawed our way back into mid-table we should have been unbeaten in the league this month however we just couldn’t take our chances against Blackpool we even held our own against Premiership Swansea in the FA Cup only to have 2 goals ruled out for offside and us to get hit on the break to go down 3-0 next month is a difficult one for us as we take on all the sides in the play-off and the league leaders

30hvfxj.png

February Update

Sunderland 3 - 0 Walsall (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 3 - 0 winners over Walsall at The Stadium of Light. A brace from Tony Agus helped Sunderland to victory.

Striker Tony Agus gave Sunderland the lead with a placed shot from close range in the 20th minute. Midfielder Dan Massey doubled Sunderland's lead with a well executed finish on 30 minutes.

With Walsall staring at defeat, there was controversy as midfielder Rob Boyd then had a penalty shout turned down. There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 40 minutes as that man Agus popped up again with a tidy finish.

Sunderland have so far confounded their critics as the pre-season relegation candidates currently lie 13th in the npower Championship table.

Attendance: 21,010

Nottingham Forest 0 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland were held to a draw by Nottingham Forest in a close-fought npower Championship match played at The City Ground.

Attendance: 16,336

Sunderland 0 - 0 Burnley (npower Championship)

Sunderland fans will have been frustrated by their side's 0 - 0 draw with Burnley at The Stadium of Light.

Sunderland had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Sunderland are currently enjoying a three match unbeaten run which has seen the relegation candidates occupy 13th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Julien Barbier (Burnley)

Attendance: 24,120

Watford 5 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

In a result few would have bet on, Sunderland were played off the park by a rampant Watford. A brace from Elliott Harding helped Watford to victory.

The match began in controversial circumstances as Sunderland were denied claims by Daniel Hanley for a penalty. Watford captain Tapiwa Dube got Watford off to a flyer by scoring a deftly executed finish on 4 minutes.

Striker Elliott Harding doubled Watford's lead with a fine header from point-blank range on 38 minutes. Holzman scored with a powerful effort in the 47th minute to extend the lead further.

Harding added his 2nd goal of the game with an accurate finish on 50 minutes. Williams then increased Watford's advantage further with a lucky strike on 78 minutes.

Striker Joe McCready pulled one back for Sunderland after 81 minutes with a deftly executed finish.

Sunderland have been playing far beyond expectations all season and find themselves in 14th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Elliott Harding (Watford)

Attendance: 7,813

Sunderland 0 - 3 Middlesbrough (npower Championship)

Middlesbrough enjoyed a comfortable 3 - 0 victory over Sunderland. The win was deserved for Middlesbrough who turned their superiority into goals in the npower Championship game at The Stadium of Light. A brace from Ilija Milovanovic helped Middlesbrough to victory.

Young striker Ilija Milovanovic gave Middlesbrough the lead with a deftly executed finish from eighteen yards in the 30th minute. Centre-back Carl Richardson doubled Middlesbrough's lead with a good header from just inside the six-yard box on 47 minutes.

There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 67 minutes as that man Milovanovic popped up again with a tidy finish.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship all season and find themselves in 14th place.

Man of the Match: Carl Richardson (Middlesbrough)

Attendance: 35,702

Table after 34 gams

12th Birmingham 48 Points

13th Colchester 45 Points

14th Sunderland 43 Points

15th Oxford 42 Points

16th Huddersfield 42 Points

(10 points clear of drop zone)

A okish month for us we still hang on in midtable down to our home form and our home form alone. As the away form is killing me we have the third worst away form in the league and the 6th best home form, I just need us to carry some of that form on the road to see us right, im thinking of a bit of a clear out come the summer I think ive got too many dead woodon the books who aren’t up to this level the boro game was a joke we never even looked like scoring never mind getting any points and im beginning to slide dangerously to the drop zone again.

Dude 0-3 against Boro, sort yourself out!
. .

I know you don't need to tell me that biro did the double over me and the way im playing Newcastle will too the spine of my team is weak was built for league one football, first replacement is a new keeper as porter isn't improving enough be has potential according to my staff

And remember I signed no one this season....

. .

I know you don't need to tell me that biro did the double over me and the way im playing Newcastle will too the spine of my team is weak was built for league one football, first replacement is a new keeper as porter isn't improving enough be has potential according to my staff

And remember I signed no one this season....

I suppose the best thing is to just avoid relegation then build a bit next season then go for promotion.

30hvfxj.png

March Update

Sunderland 2 - 1 Rotherham United (npower Championship)

Sunderland battled to a deserved 2 - 1 victory over Rotherham United on a fine spring afternoon in their npower Championship game at The Stadium of Light.

Midfielder Luis Almeida got Rotherham United off to a flyer by scoring a well struck effort from the edge of the box on 7 minutes. Winger Osvaldo Bonaiuti then equalised for Sunderland in the 48th minute with a placed shot.

Full-back Boy Villareal's red card for a vicious foul on 53 minutes put Sunderland's position under question. Then followed controversy as Rotherham United were denied claims by Almeida for a penalty.

Sunderland's winner came through David McDonald as he seized on Colin Hasell's mistake to score a real poacher's effort. McDonald's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship all season and find themselves in 14th place.

Man of the Match: Osvaldo Bonaiuti (Sunderland)

Attendance: 26,364

Stevenage 1 - 2 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland won a hard fought battle against Stevenage on a fine spring evening at Broadhall Way.

Midfielder Leo Odelusi got Stevenage off to a flyer by scoring a well timed close range finish on 4 minutes. Winger Osvaldo Bonaiuti then equalised for Sunderland in the 15th minute with a close range diving header.

Centre-back Jonny Mellor scored what proved to be the winner on 41 minutes with a close range header. Centre-back Brandon Garrard then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Sunderland another goal on 90 minutes.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship all season and find themselves in 13th place.

Man of the Match: Dan Massey (Sunderland)

Attendance: 6,561

Sunderland 2 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday (npower Championship)

Sunderland battled to a deserved 2 - 1 victory over Sheffield Wednesday on a fine spring afternoon in their npower Championship game at The Stadium of Light. A brace from David McDonald helped Sunderland to victory.

Striker David McDonald got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring a powerful effort on 5 minutes. McDonald added his 2nd goal of the game with a lucky strike on 39 minutes.

With Sheffield Wednesday staring at defeat, there was controversy as Sheff Wed captain Alan Reid then had a penalty shout turned down. Striker Graham Mellor's 65th minute strike proved the only consolation for Sheffield Wednesday.

Sunderland have been playing far beyond expectations all season and find themselves in 11th place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 24,881

Leeds United 1 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Leeds United in their npower Championship game at Elland Road.

Striker Joe McCready gave Sunderland the lead with a free kick in the 65th minute. With time rapidly running out however, striker Craig Mullen then scored a finish executed with aplomb to equalise for Leeds United.

Better late than never for Leeds United and the fans were clearly delighted with Mullen's impact.

Sunderland have been playing far beyond expectations all season and find themselves in 13th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Craig Mullen (Leeds)

Attendance: 12,927

Sunderland 0 - 1 Newcastle United (npower Championship)

Newcastle United's fans left The Stadium of Light wondering quite how their team had only managed to win 1 - 0.

Newcastle United's winner came through Kieran Bellamy as he seized on Christian Prout's mistake to score a powerful penalty.

Sunderland may well look back on the number of shots they took from long range and rue their decisions, as they often proved wasteful.

Sunderland have been playing far beyond expectations all season and find themselves in 14th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Kirill Mets (Newcastle)

Attendance: 38,780

Table after 39 games

12th Birmingham 53 Points

13th Colchester 53 Points

14th Sunderland 53 Points

15th Blackpool 50 Points

16th Stevenage 47 Points

Mathematically I’m 5 points from safety, however I’m staying up which was the aim this season with 7 games remaining there’s about 6 players ive singled out to leave the club over the summer, that being players who aren’t getting to their potential or who don’t look good enough for the level and will be moved on, the defeat too Newcastle is bad for me and us, but we keep going next season two games as they don’t look likely to be going anywhere for next year. I’m now beginning the planning for season two in the championship

30hvfxj.png

End of season Update

Leicester City 2 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Leicester City enjoyed a comfortable 2 - 0 victory over Sunderland. The win was deserved for Leicester who turned their superiority into goals in the npower Championship game at King Power Stadium.

Midfielder Ola Knai got Leicester City off to a flyer by scoring a tidy finish after just one minute. Things went from bad to worse for Sunderland as midfielder Danny Wilkin earned himself an early bath for a vicious foul on 16 minutes.

Sunderland also saw their 70th minute strike questionably chalked off. Winger Adrian Sapela finally rounded off their victory on 87 minutes with an accurate finish.

Man of the Match: Ryan Russell (Leicester)

Attendance: 15,877

Derby County 2 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Derby County enjoyed a comfortable 2 - 0 victory over Sunderland. The win was deserved for Derby who turned their superiority into goals in the npower Championship game at Pride Park.

Striker Aidan Turner gave Derby County the lead with a simple finish from close in in the 19th minute. Turner was able to add to his tally soon after with another strike on 40 minutes.

Things went from bad to worse for Sunderland as full-back Christian Prout earned himself an early bath for persistent fouling on 77 minutes.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship all season and find themselves in 16th place.

Man of the Match: Aidan Turner (Derby)

Attendance: 26,161

Sunderland 1 - 1 Birmingham City (npower Championship)

Sunderland could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Birmingham City in their npower Championship game at The Stadium of Light.

Striker Kyle Pilkington gave Birmingham City the lead with a good diving header from close range in the 21st minute. Striker Joe McCready equalised for Sunderland after 45 minutes with a deftly executed finish from close range.

Striker David McDonald's red card for a vicious foul on 90 minutes put Sunderland's position under question.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship all season and find themselves in 15th place.

Man of the Match: Joe McCready (Sunderland)

Attendance: 26,882

Sunderland 3 - 4 Queens Park Rangers (npower Championship)

A fine spring evening at The Stadium of Light saw Queens Park Rangers come out on top against a surprisingly lacklustre Sunderland side.

Things did not get off to a good start for Sunderland as towering striker Rosario Pappalardo seized on an error by Rick Dillon to score an effort which was deflected on its way in. Veteran striker Bert de Koning doubled Queens Park Rangers' lead with a close range effort on 34 minutes.

Cox scored with a firm diving header from inside the six-yard box in the 37th minute to extend the lead further. Striker Kieron Marsden pulled one back for Sunderland after 41 minutes with a placed shot.

Centre-back Jonny Mellor pulled one back for Sunderland after 54 minutes with a finish executed with aplomb. Winger Osvaldo Bonaiuti then equalised for Sunderland in the 58th minute with a tap-in.

Things turned sour for Sunderland when full-back Thomas Nekos earned himself an early bath for persistent fouling on 82 minutes. Queens Park Rangers' winner came through Shawn Blake as he seized on Christos Geropanagiotis' mistake to score a placed shot from the edge of the area. Blake's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship all season and find themselves in 16th place.

Man of the Match: Brian Cox (Q.P.R.)

Attendance: 18,923

Fulham 3 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland were on the end of a deserved defeat at Craven Cottage as they were completely outplayed by their opponents.

Flamboyant midfielder Magno got Fulham off to a flyer by scoring an accurate finish which went in off the post on 5 minutes. Fulham captain Eddie Dodd doubled Fulham's lead with an accurate finish on 62 minutes.

Experienced striker Wayne Steward completed the rout with a real poacher's effort on 74 minutes.

Sunderland have been performing above expectations in the npower Championship all season and find themselves in 17th place.

Man of the Match: Greg Sharp (Fulham)

Attendance: 19,111

Sunderland 3 - 0 Huddersfield Town (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 3 - 0 winners over Huddersfield Town at The Stadium of Light.

Striker Kieron Marsden got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring an incisive finish on 6 minutes. Striker Joe McCready doubled Sunderland's lead with a tame effort from close to goal on 38 minutes.

An error from Huddersfield Town's Duncan Sharp allowed midfielder Dan Massey to score a tidy finish.

Attendance: 25,218

Colchester United 3 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland will be wondering what might have been this morning after a close encounter with Colchester turned into a 3 - 0 victory for their opponents.

Things did not get off to a good start for Sunderland as Colchester United's Iulian Antal scored from the spot after Osvaldo Bonaiuti had given away a penalty. Colchester captain Alan Clitheroe doubled Colchester United's lead with a screamer which thundered in off the post from the edge of the area on 41 minutes.

Explosive striker Rogério Costa completed the rout with an incisive finish on 69 minutes.

Legendary manager Andrew Bell joined Sunderland in July 2030 and has been in charge for 3 years.

Man of the Match: Carl Anderson (Colchester)

Attendance: 9,226

Well that’s the season over, very inconsistent but down to one underlying factor, we always had a team I built for league one not for the championship. And for that now I start to build a team for this division, the core players are good enough I find, but we do need some new players for this level, my first stop is a quality keeper, which may be difficult on the budget I have but I’m sure I’ll do it, also need a left back and a left winger to have a decent first team, we then will need to build up some depth but that will be a job for next season I feel

There are some big sides sniffing round two players im ditching and don't know why as they are pretty poor TBH so going to try and milk a few million out of them to bolster my finances they are good for this level but very inconsistent so im hoping to milk 2-4m out of them

Ok so new signings time!

Luis Alfonso - Cadiz - £75k

The third best striker in the squad signed for goals and cover after grabbing 14 goals in 24 appearances in the Spanish second Tier last term he was offered to me, so i scouted him prior, scouts said he would develop into a decent premiership striker so if nothing else i'm looking to make some money on him

Ashley whitehouse - Derby - £70k

Another player offered to me, and signed for his hes a player i expect to get better n better, my new staff think he will be a key member of the first team so anyone who can help the club and develop the younger the players is fine by me.

Manuel Serra - Real Betis - £170k

signed as my new number one keeper, good reflexes decent enough stats elsewhere, Scouts pulled him as a decent premiership keeper which is what we severely lacked, we needed a keeper desperately as my Greek keeper was too much of a liability and Porter isn't quite up to the required standard yet.

Fernando Lemma - Melilla - £675k

The biggest spend of the summer for us, he can tackle well and has the work rate and team work to fit in well hes going to be my first choice left back, but has the ability to play left wing if required which is helpful, but he will go straight into the first team

Pietro Concilio - Free Transfer

So the centre back signs with experience of the premier league, Serie A and europe, was released from Chelsea last season despite being a signging from Napoli for a fee of £2.1m so if he can show half his promise he will turn out to be a great signing

Kyle Walker - Nottingham Forest - £220k

his tackling int the best in the world but has other qualities that do us well to act as cover for Lemma, takes a quality free kick and cant half whip in a corner

Doug Marshall - Boreham Wood - £100k

Offers very little but has a mean cross and some decent pace, which will do well for cover at left wing, theres not a lot more to say about him.

30hvfxj.png

Pre-Season Update

Sunderland 0 - 0 St. Mirren (Friendly)

After a 0 - 0 draw at The Stadium of Light against Sunderland, a key member of the St. Mirren side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this Friendly fixture with a draw.

Man of the Match: Daniel Hanley (Sunderland)

Attendance: 5,496

Morecambe 0 - 2 Sunderland (Friendly)

Sunderland enjoyed near total domination over a distinctly average Morecambe side at The Globe Arena this evening.

Striker David McDonald gave Sunderland the lead with a close range header in the 32nd minute. Midfielder Raphaël Renault finally rounded off their victory on 93 minutes with an effort from the edge of the area.

Attendance: 2,236

Corby Town 0 - 7 Sunderland (Friendly)

Sunderland fans celebrated an emphatic 7 - 0 win at Steel Park this evening. A brace from Luis Alfonso helped Sunderland to victory.

Striker Joe McCready gave Sunderland the lead with a placed shot in the 14th minute. Midfielder Dan Massey doubled Sunderland's lead with a header on 27 minutes.

An error from Corby Town's Andy Dove allowed centre-back Pietro Concilio to score a simple finish from close in. Centre-back Adrian Wall compounded the misery for Corby Town on 57 minutes with an embarrassing own-goal.

Luis Alfonso then increased Sunderland's advantage further with a well timed close range finish on 65 minutes. Luis Alfonso added his 2nd goal of the game with a tap-in on 79 minutes.

Young midfielder Gerald Day completed the rout with a well timed close range finish on 91 minutes.

Attendance: 2,110

East Fife 0 - 3 Sunderland (Friendly)

Sunderland enjoyed near total domination over a distinctly average East Fife side at New Bayview this evening. A brace from Daniel Hanley helped Sunderland to victory.

An error from East Fife's Ian Lynch allowed striker David McDonald to score a deftly executed finish. Enthusiastic centre-back Daniel Hanley doubled Sunderland's lead with a header on 57 minutes.

There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 70 minutes as that man Hanley popped up again with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Attendance: 1,605

Sunderland 0 - 2 Hull City Reserves (Friendly)

Despite having the better of the match at The Stadium of Light, Sunderland were unable to profit as they went down to Hull City Reserves. The greater incisiveness of the victors resulted in a comfortable 2 - 0 scoreline against Sunderland, who failed to turn their superior possession into goals.

The match began in controversy with Hull City seeing a goal disallowed in controversial circumstances. Costa Rica captain Diego Nuñez gave Hull City the lead with an incisive finish in the 45th minute.

Young winger Mitch Harvey finally rounded off their victory on 66 minutes with a real poacher's effort.

Man of the Match: Louis McHugh (Hull Reserves)

Attendance: 3,079

A decent enough pre-season, we need to improve over the last game to make it through the season im looking for a mid-table finish this season and home to steadily improve enough to mount a challenge for promotion

Relegated teams last season:

Cardiff

Ipswich

Gillingham

Promoted sides

Crewe

Plymouth

Carlisle

Main games in Fixtures

Opening Game

Gillingham Home

Boxing Day Game

Oxford Home

Last Game of the season

Oxford Away

Derbies

Middlesbrough Home 16th AugustNewcastle Away 18th OctoberMiddlesbrough Away 7th January

Newcastle Home 4th March

30hvfxj.png

August Update

Sunderland 0 - 3 Gillingham (npower Championship)

Sunderland were unable to capitalise on their dominance as they fell to defeat in their npower Championship encounter with Gillingham. A brace from Bobby Atkin helped Gillingham to victory.

The match began in controversial circumstances as Gillingham were denied claims by Dzemal Avdic for a penalty. Atkin scored from the penalty spot after Chambers gave away a penalty. Atkin scored from the penalty spot after Chambers gave away a penalty. Exaperienced winger Ashley Thompson completed the rout with a powerful effort on 45 minutes.

Legendary manager Andrew Bell joined Sunderland in July 2030 and has been in charge for 3 years.

Man of the Match: Bobby Atkin (Gillingham)

Attendance: 22,002

Colchester United 0 - 3 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Colchester United succumbed to a 3 - 0 loss in this afternoon's npower Championship clash at The Weston Homes Community Stadium.

The first incident of note was on 36 minutes as Sunderland were denied claims by Russell Woodburn for a penalty. Woodburn gave Sunderland the lead with a simple finish from close in in the 57th minute.

Midfielder Raphaël Renault doubled Sunderland's lead with a good header from just inside the six-yard box on 70 minutes. Striker Tony Agus completed the rout with an accurate finish on 87 minutes.

Attendance: 9,230

Sunderland 2 - 2 Middlesbrough (npower Championship)

Sunderland were held to a draw by Middlesbrough in a close-fought npower Championship match played at The Stadium of Light.

Full-back Gavin Morrice then saw a penalty smack the bar on the 32 minute mark. Then followed controversy as Middlesbrough were denied claims by promising striker Sam Little for a penalty.

Striker Michael Holmes gave Middlesbrough the lead with a deftly executed finish in the 35th minute. Sunderland's equaliser came through Luis Alfonso as he seized on Stuart McLeod's mistake to score a close range header. Striker Jon Wootton then put Middlesbrough in front after 81 minutes with a simple finish from close in.

The Middlesbrough fans might have hoped that Wootton had scored the winner but it was not to be. With Middlesbrough already beginning to celebrate, midfielder Dan Massey then scored a powerful effort from the edge of the area in injury-time to snatch the equaliser for Sunderland.

Better late than never for Sunderland and the fans were clearly delighted with Massey's impact.

Sunderland have climbed above teams such as Sheffield United, Carlisle United and Watford to 11th in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Jon Wootton (Middlesbrough)

Attendance: 28,939

Nottingham Forest 1 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Nottingham Forest in their npower Championship game at The City Ground.

The match began in controversy with Nottingham Forest seeing a goal disallowed in controversial circumstances. Nottm Forest captain Shaun McAllister gave Nottingham Forest the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 32nd minute.

Striker Tony Agus equalised for Sunderland after 38 minutes with a well struck effort from the edge of the box. Full-back Jorge Santos' red card for ungentlemanly conduct on 92 minutes put Nottingham Forest's position under question.

Man of the Match: Arnel Stilic (Nottm Forest)

Attendance: 20,232

Sunderland 1 - 0 Carlisle United (npower Championship)

Sunderland taught Carlisle United a lesson at The Stadium of Light this evening.

Striker David McDonald got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring a weak close range effort on 10 minutes.

Sunderland have climbed above teams such as Oxford United, Birmingham City and Walsall to 10th in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Matt Lewis (Carlisle)

Attendance: 24,502

Well not the start I wanted as our 18 year old full back, gave away two penalties on his debut, but I persevered with him after the defeat to Chesterfield I was concerned this would just get worse but I was happy we got a great win over Colchester, an even better point was the fact Chambers had a great game. After that we nabbed two draw first point of a north east derby! Followed by another point at play-off hopefuls Forest before edging Carlisle out to give us a solid start to the campaign

30hvfxj.png

September Update

Huddersfield Town 1 - 2 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland recorded a somewhat fortuitous win over Huddersfield Town on a fine summer's afternoon at The Galpharm Stadium. The match was certainly not one for the purists with neither side able to keep the errors out of their game.

Things did not get off to a good start for Huddersfield Town as Sunderland's Tony Agus scored from the spot after Harald Tol had given away a penalty. Huddersfield Town's equaliser came through Miran Kovacic as he seized on Rudi Chambers' mistake to score a powerful penalty. Huddersfield Town also saw their 40th minute strike questionably chalked off.

The last goal of the game came from experienced centre-back Harald Tol whose 69th minute own-goal will undoubtedly cause him some embarrassment.

Sunderland have climbed above teams such as Watford, Walsall and Newcastle United to 5th in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: David Paine (Huddersfield)

Attendance: 10,308

Sunderland 2 - 1 Derby County (npower Championship)

Sunderland battled to a deserved 2 - 1 victory over Derby County on a fine summer's afternoon in their npower Championship game at The Stadium of Light.

Striker Tony Agus gave Sunderland the lead with an accurate finish in the 24th minute. Centre-back Conor Rigby ensured things went from bad to worse for Derby County on 77 minutes with an embarrassing own-goal.

Striker Neal Coyne's 83rd minute strike proved the only consolation for Derby County.

Sunderland have climbed above Watford to 4th in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Kyle Walker (Sunderland)

Attendance: 25,896

Watford 1 - 3 Sunderland (npower Championship)

A sturdy defence and a battling midfield display were the foundations upon which Sunderland built their 3 - 1 victory over Watford this afternoon.

Midfielder Scott Spence got Watford off to a flyer by scoring a real poacher's effort on 8 minutes. Centre-back Pietro Concilio then equalised for Sunderland in the 24th minute with a close range header.

Centre-back Jonny Mellor then put Sunderland in front after 72 minutes with a poorly struck effort from inside the penalty area. Striker Tony Agus completed the scoring for Sunderland with a free kick from the edge of the area on 82 minutes.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 3rd place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 11,327

Sunderland 2 - 0 Brighton and Hove Albion (npower Championship)

Brighton and Hove Albion succumbed to a 2 - 0 loss in this evening's npower Championship clash at The Stadium of Light.

Midfielder Russell Woodburn gave Sunderland the lead with a tame effort in the 28th minute. Striker Tony Agus finally rounded off their victory on 41 minutes with a free kick from the edge of the area.

Full-back Daryl Guy then summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Sunderland another goal on 44 minutes.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 2nd place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 20,683

WOW what a month is all I can say a 100% record helps us get the points on the board asap in our bid to stay up, the side seems to be playing much better with Serra at the back next month is a big one for us, as we take on the mags, we also have lots to do as the table settles down and im hoping to be mid-table, once the league settles down.

30hvfxj.png

October Update

Rotherham United 0 - 3 Sunderland (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 3 - 0 winners over Rotherham United at Rotherham Community Stadium. The highlight of the game was undoubtedly a superb hat-trick from Sunderland's Tony Agus.

Agus had no trouble in scoring from the spot when Babic conceded a penalty. Things then went from bad to worse for Rotherham United as centre-back Joshua Roberts was back in the dressing room on 45 minutes.

Agus scored from the penalty spot after Richards gave away a penalty. When Davis gave away a penalty, Agus confidently stepped up to score from the spot.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 11,483

Sunderland 2 - 0 Birmingham City (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 2 - 0 winners over Birmingham City at The Stadium of Light.

Striker Tony Agus gave Sunderland the lead with a free kick from the edge of the area in the 37th minute. Agus completed the scoring for Sunderland with a curling shot on 77 minutes.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 2nd place in the npower Championship.

Attendance: 26,129

Newcastle United 1 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland were held to a draw by Newcastle United in a close-fought npower Championship match played at St. James' Park.

Striker David McDonald gave Sunderland the lead with a well executed finish in the 18th minute. Striker Tony Agus saw a penalty beat the keeper but hit the post on the 68 minute mark.

Newcastle United's equaliser came through Dwight Weibolt as he seized on Luis Alfonso's mistake to score a long range effort.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 1st place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Kirill Mets (Newcastle)

Attendance: 31,305

Sunderland 0 - 1 Ipswich Town (npower Championship)

Ipswich Town battled their way to a 1 - 0 victory in this evenly-matched contest between two hard-working teams.

The match began in controversial circumstances as Sunderland were denied claims by Pietro Concilio for a penalty. Striker James Barnett gave Ipswich Town the lead with a well timed finish from close range in the 79th minute.

Despite having a number of corners, Sunderland found little by way of success.

Man of the Match: Aaron Carbon (Ipswich)

Attendance: 26,554

Walsall 3 - 2 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Walsall battled their way to a 3 - 2 victory in this evenly-matched contest between two hard-working teams.

Walsall captain Tobi Babatunde gave Walsall the lead with a header in the 15th minute. Full-back Fernando Lemma then equalised for Sunderland in the 21st minute with a tidy finish.

Promising striker Gavin Lake put Walsall in front in the 46th minute with a real poacher's effort. Striker Luis Alfonso then equalised for Sunderland in the 80th minute with an incisive finish.

Experienced striker Steve Todd then clinched a late winner on 88 minutes with a finish tucked away with consummate ease. Todd's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Sunderland have been playing above all expectations so far this season and find themselves in 3rd place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Fernando Lemma (Sunderland)

Attendance: 8,871

Again we seem to be on a roll, I’m happy with the point from the mags’ it’s all about not losing the derbies now neither boro nor Newcastle can do the double over me, Agus has managed to get to the top of the goal scoring charts. Next month is going to be a tough one, but we have the capabilities of doing well this season, but I’m still hoping for little more than mid-table anything else is a bonus

30hvfxj.png

November Update

Sunderland 3 - 1 Cardiff City (npower Championship)

A deserved 3 - 1 win for Sunderland over Cardiff City this evening was greeted with delight by the victorious team's fans and players alike.

An error from Cardiff City's Robert Rusnak allowed striker Tony Agus to score an accurate finish from inside the penalty area. Full-back Kyle Walker's red card for ungentlemanly conduct on 58 minutes put Sunderland's position under question.

Midfielder Denis Hamidovic then equalised for Cardiff City in the 60th minute with a free kick from the edge of the area. Young midfielder Doug Marshall put Sunderland in front in the 77th minute with a weak close range effort.

The last goal of the game came from centre-back Tanel Tarassu whose 88th minute own-goal will undoubtedly cause him some embarrassment.

Man of the Match: Thomas Nekos (Sunderland)

Attendance: 21,754

Stevenage 1 - 5 Sunderland (npower Championship)

A close-fought game at Broadhall Way ended in a one-sided result as Sunderland defeated Stevenage 5 - 1. A brace from David McDonald helped Sunderland to victory.

Striker Luis Alfonso got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring a tap-in on 3 minutes. Striker David McDonald doubled Sunderland's lead with a placed shot on 23 minutes.

McDonald was able to add to his tally soon after with another strike on 29 minutes. Defensive midfielder Jon Godfrey pulled one back for Stevenage after 39 minutes with a placed shot.

Midfielder Russell Woodburn then added to the lead with a header on 56 minutes. An error from Stevenage's George Leeson allowed enthusiastic centre-back Rick Dillon to score a close range header.

Attendance: 6,168

Blackpool 1 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

The Sunderland contingent that watched their side draw 1 - 1 with Blackpool at Bloomfield Road will have been more than pleased with their team's performance in an entertaining npower Championship match.

The match began in controversial circumstances as Blackpool were denied claims by Adnan Colic for a penalty. Striker Tony Agus gave Sunderland the lead with a placed shot in the 34th minute.

With time rapidly running out however, striker Didier Vincent then scored a free kick from the edge of the area to equalise for Blackpool. Better late than never for Blackpool and the fans were clearly delighted with Vincent's impact.

Man of the Match: Ashley Whitehouse (Sunderland)

Attendance: 6,185

Table after 19 games

1st Sunderland 38 Points

2nd Gillingham 36 Points

3rd Middlesbrough 35 Point

4th Rotherham 34 Points

5th Burnley 34 Points

6th Watford 32 Points

Woo 11points from 15 that’s more than the fabled 2 points a game that championship winners are made of, I don’t see it lasting after Christmas once the inevitable suspensions and injuries takes its toll, im still banking on the aim being to stay up but we are putting points on the board faster than expected, and we are playing good football I can just feel its all going to go to pot soon….

30hvfxj.png

December Update

Crewe Alexandra 1 - 3 Sunderland (npower Championship)

A highly polished performance from the Sunderland players saw their team run out 3 - 1 winners over Crewe Alexandra at The Alexandra Stadium. A brace from Tony Agus helped Sunderland to victory.

Young midfielder Kyle Hadley gave Crewe Alexandra the lead with a fine header from point-blank range in the 27th minute. Striker Tony Agus then equalised for Sunderland in the 49th minute with a deftly executed finish.

Midfielder Ourdy Kaluyituka was left red-faced in the 71st minute as he managed to put the ball into his own net. An error from Crewe Alexandra's Jerry Diallo allowed Agus to score a fierce shot.

Attendance: 10,109

Sunderland 4 - 0 Barnsley (npower Championship)

The final score of 4 - 0 was fully deserved as Sunderland totally controlled their npower Championship game against Barnsley at The Stadium of Light. A brace from Luis Alfonso helped Sunderland to victory.

Striker David McDonald got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring a good header from just inside the six-yard box on 4 minutes. Striker Luis Alfonso doubled Sunderland's lead with a tap-in on 20 minutes.

Walker scored with a fierce shot in the 71st minute to extend the lead further. An error from Barnsley's Stephen McIntosh allowed Luis Alfonso to score a well timed close range finish.

Man of the Match: Luis Alfonso (Sunderland)

Attendance: 29,401

Sheffield United 1 - 1 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Sheffield United in their npower Championship game at Bramall Lane.

Centre-back Jonny Mellor gave Sunderland the lead with a close range finish which was timed impeccably in the 31st minute. Striker Abdelmalek Taleb equalised for Sheffield United after 43 minutes with a well struck shot from inside the box which made sure.

Attendance: 20,526

Sunderland 3 - 0 Oxford United (npower Championship)

A highly polished performance from the Sunderland players saw their team run out 3 - 0 winners over Oxford United at The Stadium of Light.

Centre-back Pietro Concilio gave Sunderland the lead with a good header from just inside the six-yard box in the 40th minute. Striker Tony Agus doubled Sunderland's lead with a free kick from the edge of the area on 44 minutes.

Then followed controversy as Sunderland were denied claims by Concilio for a penalty. Centre-back Jonny Mellor completed the rout with a close range header on 73 minutes.

Man of the Match: Russell Woodburn (Sunderland)

Attendance: 24,164

Sunderland 2 - 1 Cardiff City (FA Cup 3rd Rnd)

In a surprise result, Sunderland overcame Cardiff City at The Stadium of Light 2 - 1.

An error from Cardiff City's Ambrogio Menza allowed young midfielder Doug Marshall to score a freak goal. Striker Zvonko Klevze then equalised for Cardiff City in the 58th minute with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Striker Kieron Marsden scored what proved to be the winner on 61 minutes with a freak goal.

Attendance: 18,243

League after 23 games

1st Sunderland 48 Points

2nd Watford 42 Points

3rd Burnley 41 Points

4th Gillingham 41 Points

5th Rotherham 39 Points

6th N Forest 38 Points

An awesome month for us as we continue to confound critics and sit atop the table, I still await the inevitable slump, we continue to be tight at the back and free scoring upfront we have the joint tightest defence with Sheffield United, and we are currently the joint top scorer of the league. We have some difficult games next month and we don’t have that large a lead, the squad will need major stengthing if the unlikely happens and we end up in the premier league

30hvfxj.png

January Update

Gillingham 1 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Gillingham enjoyed much of the possession by dominating their npower Championship match against a sub-standard Sunderland side.

The first incident of note was on 42 minutes as Gillingham were denied claims by Ashley Thompson for a penalty. Gillingham finally took the lead when midfielder Plínio scored a finish tucked away with consummate ease on 44 minutes.

Sunderland were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Man of the Match: Frank Stevens (Gillingham)

Attendance: 6,831

Middlesbrough 1 - 2 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland taught Middlesbrough a lesson at The Riverside Stadium this afternoon.

Things did not get off to a good start for Sunderland as young striker Sam Little seized on an error by Jonny Mellor to score an accurate finish from inside the penalty area. Centre-back Jonny Mellor then equalised for Sunderland in the 45th minute with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Striker Tony Agus scored what proved to be the winner on 64 minutes with an effort from the edge of the area which curled past the goalkeeper. It was a superb solo effort and Agus looked delighted.

Attendance: 22,922

Sunderland 4 - 2 Colchester United (npower Championship)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 4 - 2 winners over Colchester United at The Stadium of Light. The highlight of the game was undoubtedly a superb hat-trick from Sunderland's Tony Agus.

Striker Tony Agus got Sunderland off to a flyer by scoring a deftly executed finish on 8 minutes. Colchester United were nearly gifted a goal on 12 minutes through Pietro Concilio's lapse in concentration but they failed to capitalise on the opportunity presented to them.

Colchester captain Alan Clitheroe then equalised for Colchester United in the 60th minute with a powerful effort. Striker David McDonald put Sunderland in front in the 66th minute with a well timed finish from close range.

Clitheroe equalised for Colchester United in the 82nd minute with an accurate finish. Agus then added his 2nd goal of the game with a tidy finish on 83 minutes.

It was a superb solo effort and Agus looked delighted. The Sunderland fans might have been forgiven for thinking that their side would be happy with just the winner but the scoring wasn't over.

Agus completed the scoring for Sunderland with a deftly executed finish on 89 minutes.

Attendance: 23,177

Sunderland 1 - 2 Nottingham Forest (npower Championship)

Nottingham Forest's fans left The Stadium of Light wondering quite how their team had only managed to win 2 - 1. A brace from Shaun McAllister helped Nottm Forest to victory.

Nottingham Forest finally took the lead when Nottm Forest captain Shaun McAllister scored a powerful effort on 41 minutes. McAllister added his 2nd goal of the game with a deftly executed finish on 80 minutes.

It was a superb solo effort and McAllister looked delighted. Centre-back Jonny Mellor's 93rd minute strike proved the only consolation for Sunderland.

Man of the Match: Shaun McAllister (Nottm Forest)

Attendance: 29,511

Carlisle United 0 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

After a 0 - 0 draw at Brunton Park against Sunderland, a key member of the Carlisle United side claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this npower Championship fixture with a draw.

Man of the Match: Rudi Chambers (Sunderland)

Attendance: 11,014

Sunderland 3 - 0 Crewe Alexandra (FA Cup 4th Rnd)

An efficient performance from Sunderland saw them run out 3 - 0 winners over Crewe Alexandra at The Stadium of Light. A brace from Tony Agus helped Sunderland to victory.

Striker Tony Agus gave Sunderland the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 34th minute. Agus added his 2nd goal of the game with a powerful effort on 56 minutes.

Striker David McDonald completed the rout with an accurate finish on 60 minutes.

Attendance: 17,446

Sunderland 3 - 1 Huddersfield Town (npower Championship)

A highly polished performance from the Sunderland players saw their team run out 3 - 1 winners over Huddersfield Town at The Stadium of Light. A brace from Luis Alfonso helped Sunderland to victory.

Full-back Fernando Lemma gave Sunderland the lead with a good header from just inside the six-yard box in the 33rd minute. Midfielder Svetozar Cherkezov then equalised for Huddersfield Town in the 74th minute with a deftly executed finish.

Striker Luis Alfonso put Sunderland in front in the 83rd minute with a cleanly struck effort from close to goal. The Sunderland fans might have been forgiven for thinking that their side would be happy with just the winner but the scoring wasn't over.

Luis Alfonso completed the scoring for Sunderland with a well struck effort on 93 minutes.

Man of the Match: Luis Alfonso (Sunderland)

Attendance: 23,509

League table after 29 games

1st Sunderland 58 Points

2nd Burnley 56 Points

3rd Rotherham 52 Points

4th Gilligham 51 Points

5th Watford 51 Points

Still solid in the league and still somehow holding onto top spot as we begin to stumble a lot, but still somehow manage to get wins on the board I’m beginning to think we might win the league, and I’m uncertain if it’s too early I think it will be but we will have the funds to strengthen easily, so I’m confident if I do go up I can survive. But it’s not certain as we don’t have that big a lead, and we wobble. Again Agus tops the goal scoring charts and is beginning to look a likely target for other teams.

30hvfxj.png

February Update

Derby County 2 - 3 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland battled to a deserved 3 - 2 victory over Derby County on a fine afternoon in their npower Championship game at Pride Park.

Things did not get off to a good start for Sunderland as midfielder Gary Baker seized on an error by Ashley Whitehouse to score a tame effort from close to goal. Striker David McDonald then equalised for Sunderland in the 10th minute with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

Striker Tony Agus then put Sunderland in front after 16 minutes with a placed shot from close range. Midfielder Dan Massey had a chance to score from the penalty spot for Sunderland on the 64 minute mark but missed his spot-kick.

Derby County's equaliser came through Michael Chandler as he seized on Kyle Walker's mistake to score a simple finish from close in. Striker Luis Alfonso then clinched a late winner on 81 minutes with an accurate finish.

Luis Alfonso's impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Man of the Match: Gary Baker (Derby)

Attendance: 19,960

Sunderland 0 - 3 Watford (npower Championship)

Sunderland were on the end of a deserved defeat at The Stadium of Light as they were completely outplayed by their opponents. A brace from Massimiliano Caforio helped Watford to victory.

An error from Sunderland's Rick Dillon allowed towering striker Massimiliano Caforio to score a tidy finish. Caforio added his 2nd goal of the game with a placed shot on 47 minutes.

An error from Sunderland's David McDonald allowed Watford captain Tapiwa Dube to score an accurate finish.

Man of the Match: Massimiliano Caforio (Watford)

Attendance: 27,582

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Brighton and Hove Albion's fans left American Express Community Stadium wondering quite how their team had only managed to win 1 - 0.

Midfielder Leo Ugljesic gave Brighton and Hove Albion the lead with an effort from the edge of the area which curled past the goalkeeper in the 18th minute.

Sunderland covered a lot of ground but also conceded far too many fouls, meaning their effort was often for nothing.

Sunderland are currently in 2nd place, two points behind league leaders Burnley.

Man of the Match: Leo Ugljesic (Brighton)

Attendance: 14,636

Bolton Wanderers 2 - 1 Sunderland (FA Cup 5th Rnd)

Bolton Wanderers enjoyed much of the possession by dominating their English FA Cup Fifth Round match against a sub-standard Sunderland side.

Experienced striker Edgar Alvarado got Bolton Wanderers off to a flyer by scoring a powerful effort after just one minute. Striker Tony Agus then equalised for Sunderland in the 5th minute with an accurate finish.

Then followed controversy as Sunderland were denied claims by striker Luis Alfonso for a penalty. Solid centre-back Oscar Sánchez scored what proved to be the winner on 50 minutes with a good header from just inside the six-yard box.

With Sunderland staring at defeat, there was controversy as enthusiastic centre-back Rick Dillon then had a penalty shout turned down.

Man of the Match: Oscar Sánchez (Bolton)

Attendance: 14,653

Birmingham City 3 - 0 Sunderland (npower Championship)

Sunderland will be wondering what might have been this morning after a close encounter with Birmingham turned into a 3 - 0 victory for their opponents. The highlight of the game was undoubtedly a superb hat-trick from Birmingham's Kyle Pilkington.

Striker Kyle Pilkington gave Birmingham City the lead with a powerful effort in the 13th minute. Pilkington added his 2nd goal of the game with a simple finish from close in on 19 minutes.

There were no prizes for guessing who completed the rout on 37 minutes as that man Pilkington popped up again with a finish executed with aplomb.

Sunderland have now suffered four straight defeats and the promotion contenders find themselves in 5th place in the npower Championship.

Man of the Match: Kyle Pilkington (Birmingham)

Attendance: 16,717

Table after 34 Points

1st Burnley 67 Points

2nd Rotherham 65 Points

3rd Watford 62 Points

4th Gillingham 62 Points

5th Sunderland 61 Points

6th Cardiff 59 Points

7th Middlesbrough 58 Points

And so the expected slide begins, The expected injuries and suspensions have taken their toll, and with the younger players taking the starting berths we gave away too many fouls, and the free-kicks are taking their toll us, although the FA cup game was disappointing, we only narrowly lost and should have had 2 penalties, but we weren’t as good defensively as we have been in the past few months, we also seem to have lost our goal scoring prowess. It’s all down to the lack of depth in strength; we need to add depth in the summer, by purchasing first team players and adding quality youths. And I’m already looking for it one of the hardest months of the season I’m hoping to pick back up this month and try to at least grab a play-off spot it’s the least we deserve unless we pick it up however there are chances we can end up mid-table which isn’t any good for us.

Archived