FM12 Big Euro Nation: Small Club to Big Club Challenge

PRDH - It really was a tight finish there, good luck rebuilding the squad and I hope you can get back to dominating Portugal. It might interest you to know that Braga won the league in my game, by a whole 10 points difference to Porto as well. Benfica only finished in 5th behind Sporting and Vit. Setubal...

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PRDH - It really was a tight finish there, good luck rebuilding the squad and I hope you can get back to dominating Portugal. It might interest you to know that Braga won the league in my game, by a whole 10 points difference to Porto as well. Benfica only finished in 5th behind Sporting and Vit. Setubal...

Wow! That's a pretty hefty turn around.

My man Pedro Cardoso is off the mark. A 90+3 minute winner. The boy's already a legend! Oh, and in doing so he has also broken the Lusitânia Açores and Premier League records for youngest goalscorer. Good lad!

I'm so angry with myself. Marius Blanchard - that brilliant French striker we have (who only scored once last year) is six months away from his contract expiring. He's been much better this season and I've tried to put a big minimum fee release clause in his new contract. After plenty of to-ing and fro-ing he rejected my offer and is now headed elsewhere on a free.

GAH!!! :mad:

It's so infuriating it almost made me load up an old save! But not a chance, my mistake, so I must deal with the loss :(

iacovone - You have my sympathy. Things like that are so infuriating. I'm playing the Champions League group games without my left back because I managed to not register him.

Urgh, that's so frustrating! Hope you get by without him :thup:

As for Novese, we've recovered well from my earlier rant and the three at the back is working much better. Though, that was just ruined by us blowing a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes to lose 4-3 away at Parma! That said, we're 9th after 21 games so I'll take that :)

iacovone - shame hearing about Blanchard, it is always so annoying to lose players on the cheap...

PRDH - do you know what the rules on qualiication to Europe from the cup are like in Portugal? I went on an awesome run, knocking out 4 top division sides to reach the Semis. I got a kind draw and will play U. Madeira, who are struggling in the second division, whilst Porto and Braga will play for the other place in the final. Whilst I think we could win the semis, I reckon pulling an upset in the final will be difficult. Question is: do you know if the runners up qualify for Europe if the winners have qualified through league position?

150px-Usnovese.png

End of Season Report - Novese - 2028/29 (Season 17) - Serie A

Serie A - 10th[/url]

This was a great season for us, despite the early concern over our results. I made the decision to revolutionize our tactical approach and although it took time to tinker with the new back three, I come away at the end of the season with a degree of pleasure with how it ended up. See the Best Eleven screenshot at the bottom to see our shape.

The October and November months were tricky but in hindsight we faced a lot of the top teams in a bunch so it's not too surprising actually. Thankfully this campaign saw a vast improvement in our goalscoring. We were the seventh highest in the division with our 61.

Doing the double over Napoli was one of the year's highlights, as well as beating the champions Juventus 3-1 at home in front of the cameras. The best of the bunch was a 3-0 win at Palermo, who at the time were top of the league. There were disappointments, of course, probably no more so than blowing a 3-0 lead at Parma to lose 4-3.

So there are aspects of the tactic still to improve upon. For me though, we're like the Swansea of the division - we play very attractive football and often end games dominant in possession - it was not uncommon for us to have 70%+ at home.

|

The Cup:

Got absolutely hammered by Cesena 5-1 in the fourth qualifying round. We're really not a cup team...

The Squad

Lautaro Corno (GK) - Italian keeper signed in the summer displaced Morabito in goal. Had a great first year and at 21 could have a great career here.

- continued his promising Novese career with an excellent campaign. Missed just one league game.

- the lone centre-half. Did very well this year. Starting to make noises about leaving and I probably would sell if the price is right. For this formation I need a better ball playing CB. Still, he is the skipper and had a good season.

- absolute beast of a player. Wanted by a lot of clubs now and you can see why. Equally adept at DM as he is CB when Nieva is out.

- vice captain was for the most part the advanced playmaker. Had a pretty good year.

- avoided injuries and made the . 16 assists from wide right. - flitted between left inside forward and striker and did well with either role.

- turning into a bit of a hero for us in the poacher's role. Missed 2 months from March with a disclocated shoulder but came back and scored in our last game. That's his best return for us. Won fans player of the year again.

- did slightly better than last year's haul of 1! Sadly just as he's hitting his stride, he's off to Racing Santander on a free. My mistake, and one I'll live to regret. :(

Objectives Complete?

• Break into the top ten

Success! Just about. We almost looked like nicking 7th until the horrible end of season fixtures caught us out.

• Hit the 50 point mark or more

Success. 56 points.

• Score goals. 45 or more in the league

Success. 61 goals, mainly through Ripa and Blanchard.

New Objectives:

• Consolidate in the top ten
  • Hit the 50 point mark or more again
  • Try to bring more Italians to the club

I hit all my objectives this year but will remain cautious in the coming season. A repeat of our points haul would be perfect. There is a sense that a couple of sides in the current top 7 may be reachable and AC Milan have certainly dropped off the pace. Still, slow and steady wins the race! I'm also very considerate of our financial position. It's ok, but slight overspending last season led to a fresh £4m bank loan being taken out. Could do without too many of those.

Joining us in Serie A this season are: Bologna, Empoli and Varese. Departing Serie A are: Cagliari, Pescara and Salerno.

Seasonal Best Eleven

Solid season there iacovone, well done!

Salerno sure had an awful season though, how many did you put past them? And I had to laugh at your keepers name. In portuguese (from Brazil only I think) a corno is someone that has been cheated on by his wife. Figuratively we say that you can measure a corno by the size of his horns, which apparently grow when the wife is being naughty :D

Messina 2016-17 Season Review

Fixtures 1

Fixtures 2

Fixtures 3

Table

Cup final

Player of the season

Transfers

Caruso

Before I talk about the cup I must say I am a bit disappointed how the league campaign went. Key players weren't at their best for long periods of the season, i'm not happy with the amount of goals we let in considering last season we weren't that bad defensively. I also think we should have had another 10 goals or so as well. Maiga at left back was a star and even made the Serie A team of the year, i've whacked his asking price up to his £120M release fee as it was hard enough getting him let alone another full back to cover him. What I am pleased with is we managed to get points pretty early again so never looked like going down and obviously finishing above Milan is a good achievement.

On to the cup, thee shining light of the season and considering we had to play both the Milan clubs and Juve just to get to the final it is a big boost for the club. The final itself was a cracking game, both teams really going for it and I take all the credit for the inspired late substitution by bringing Otto on to win it late on :D He is nowhere near a top class player and his contract was going to run out but I just couldn't bear to let him go :o

I've been given a £17M budget for the summer and I plan spending it on a keeper, a center back and maybe another midfielder but we'll see how that goes. I have decided that we are going to try and attack this season so I will be playing the W-M formation and hopefully it will improve a few of the results.

Europe here we come :eek:

iacovone another solid season there mate, hopefully you can try and push a European place next year. What i'd give to have a Ledsema in my team.:thup:

why the last objective? you didn't really explain that

Sorry sebs, you're right, I didn't. Basically I always like to have a core of players from the country I manage in so it'd be a nice side project to get on with whilst I'm managing the other objectives.

Solid season there iacovone, well done!

Salerno sure had an awful season though, how many did you put past them? And I had to laugh at your keepers name. In portuguese (from Brazil only I think) a corno is someone that has been cheated on by his wife. Figuratively we say that you can measure a corno by the size of his horns, which apparently grow when the wife is being naughty :D

That's pretty funny corinthiano! He was playing in Switzerland previously so I wonder if it carries a similar comedy meaning!? :D

150px-Usnovese.png

Pre-Season Transfer Review - Novese - 2029/30 - Serie A

For some reason I forgot to do this last season. My mistake. No such error this time around. I had £8.75m to spend this summer and I forewent everything I aimed to do with regard to budgetary control and splurged the lot on just three players.

Jose Maria Fernandez Fuentes (D/WBL) - he has become our record signing at £5.25m from Brondby. It's a lot but I've been searching for a good left back for 2 years now. I think Fuentes could be the one.

Sergio Meza Sanchez (AMR/ST) - after Marius Blanchard departed, I needed to find a suitable striker to replace him. At £3.6m Sanchez looks good enough to do that. He and Ripa up front should cause considerable problems with the pace they have. I like how determined he is too.

Giorgio Natale (AMC/ST) - how good I resist? :D He spent 11 years away from the club - 5 in Holland for NEC Nijmegan before heading to Napoli for 6 years. He may be 33-years-old but he's still got class and should be an able squad rotation option. As a free transfer it was impossible to say no to the first genuine Novese star. Almost brings a tear to the eye :)

Transfer Summary

iacovone - Good season and a warm welcome back to Natale. I can't believe he left you eleven seasons ago. Time flies!

I know! I counted the seasons and had to re-count as I was sure it was a lot less. That said, I have flown through the last 4 or 5 years :D

ERM!

TommasoCilonaNews_Inbox-12-1.png

We're 1 game into the season. ONE game!!!

He took offence to my team talk and the next thing I know he's leaving at the end of the season!! :D

Oh well, guess it isn't to be the romantic homecoming I hoped!

Clyde End Of Season Report

It's the end of the season and we've done it we have won back to back promotion and we're in the first division

This season has been incredibly succesful as well as winning the division we also won the challenge cup and got into the scottish cup quarter final

Im not really expecting to do anything in the first division this season maybe a 6th or 7th finish

ScottishSecondDivisionOverview_Stages.png

I have some bad and some good news.

The bad news: We got trashed 3-0 in the cup final by Porto.

The good news: We have qualified for the Europa League :cool:

Will play Ekranas of Lithuania in the Second Qualifying Round. Am just happy to participate, but it would be nice to get through at least one round.

150px-Usnovese.png

Mid-Season Update - Novese - 2029/30 - Serie A

This will probably be the only time I do a mid-season update but I think you'll agree it's worth it. We've absolutely compounded critics and naysayers (including myself) and sit top!

The problem though, is that every club in the league is now sniffing around our star players. And with the finances £5m in the red and minimum release fee clauses on just about every contract (damn those clever agents) I still expect it to go horribly wrong :(.

These chaps are all under question...

Bernardo Velazquez

Ricardo Ledesma

Sergio Meza Sanchez (who has been an absolute revelation!)

Wish me luck...

iacovone - Nice going there, hope you manage to hang on to top spot and, more importantly, to your key players!

CelticDaft98 - Another great season there, best of luck in the First Division :thup:

PRDH - In all honesty I never expected us to match up to Porto, I was only a bit dissappointed at how nervous my players got, even though I told them to enjoy the game and relax. A couple of really bad defensive passes early on in the game gave us no chance practically from the start. Main thing was European qualification, although I probably wont help Portugal much in the coefficients.

That's awesome iacovone. Do you think you can maintain it?

No to be honest. It looks like Inter will be too strong this year, but I hope I can cling onto CL qualification as that financial boost will do wonders for us.

ERM!

TommasoCilonaNews_Inbox-12-1.png

We're 1 game into the season. ONE game!!!

He took offence to my team talk and the next thing I know he's leaving at the end of the season!! :D

Oh well, guess it isn't to be the romantic homecoming I hoped!

Sounds like you manage your team the way I manage my love life.

realab.png

Real Sport Clube – 2017/18 Liga Orangina

Liga Orangina

Media Prediction: 15th

Board Expectation: Avoid Relegation

My Target: Mid-Table

League Table: 8th ǁ Position Graph

The league started excellently and we were right up there fighting for promotion up until just after the halfway stage. The after beating U. Madeira in the Semi Final of the cup the team seemed to switch off. We were also not helped by the fact that Momotenko got two major injuries which kept him out for practically the whole of the second half of the season. But we only managed two wins in 13 games and dropped right down to 8th place. At the start of the season I would be happy with that, but I was disappointed that the team fell apart like that.

Taça de Portugal Millennium

Second Round – Standard easy first game.

– We were handed a tough draw against a top division side. I thought we were heading out when we ended the first half a goal behind, but we absolutely dominated the second half and managed to turn the game around.

Fourth Round – Another tough draw as we played a Liga Zon Sagres side away again. In this tie we got a bit lucky though. We matched Beira-Mar in the first half, but when they had a player sent off early on in the second half we dominated the match and were able to get a winner 6 minutes before the end.

Fifth Round – We played equal to Liga Zon Sagres side Gondomar, with our early goal settling the tie.

Sixth Round – Our biggest upset. Setúbal had the best of the game, but we got lucky when youth product Brás finished a counter attack neatly in the first half. After that it was sit back, defend and hold on to victory.

Semi Final: First Leg ǁ Second Leg- After knocking out 4 top division sides we were up against U.Madeira, who were struggling in our division. The first leg however was probably our second most disappointing game in the cup run, we dominated the game but only managed to get a 2-2 draw, with U. Madeira equalizing in the 89th minute. We did however play a lot better in the second leg and turn the tie around.

Final – We never had a chance and we never expected too, it was a little disappointing to be two behind after less than 10 minutes, but I was just happy to be in the final.

Bwin Cup

First Phase – Group C – We were pretty poor, not too bothered though.

The Royals

Transfers ǁ Squad 1 ǁ Squad 2

I started the season only signing players for key specific positions. After our good cup run though I went transfer crazy, mainly because players who snubbed us previously decided that a loan move to our side was not a bad idea after all, meaning I had a stronger squad overall. Didn’t really work out though as most loans did not have much of an impact.

GK: Buick – Another good season by the goalkeeper, is attracting interest from top division sides.

DR: Antônio – Consistent as ever, is another one with interest from other clubs.

DC: Felipe – Maintained his excellent partnership with Felipe, has over 150 appearances for the club now.

DC: Eduardo – Captain excellent was very decent again.

DL: André Dias – I just don’t seem to need to change my back line. André would be the weak link at the moment but unless I find someone much better I don’t see the need to replace him.

DMC: Jaguaré – Jaguaré came in to replace Douglas but I wasn’t 100% happy with him. We also don’t have good cover here so I think I will be bringing someone in.

MC: Christoffer Ødegaard – Very happy with his first season, runs around a lot and seems to be everywhere.

MC: Fabrizio Arcangeli – All my other MCs seemed to drop off a bit, so I brought Fabrizio in. Have to say that he didn’t exactly impress me.

AMC: Illya Momotenko – Big dilemma here, Momotenko is very injury prone and I just can’t rely on him being fit. I have a couple of back-ups with great potential, but that can’t quite cut it out yet. So the big question squad wise for me will be: Should I sell Momotenko to free up the wages for a new playmaker or should I risk him for another season and give the promising youngsters more chances to develop?

ST: Gil – Another solid season by Gil, in the second half of the season I changed gis role from supporting complete forward to poacher and he started scoring more. Will be interesting to see how he does in the new role next season.

ST: Milton – What a beast. His wages are a lot higher than anyone elses in the squad but I think he is worth it, such a nuisance up front and has a hell of a left foot on him. I am really excited about the strike partnership for next year.

Other News

Finances – The board kept pumping money into the club and trying to keep it from major losses, the prize money for the league finish and runners-up medal meant we turned over a small profit. Europe will bring in a bit of money, but we would have to progress a few rounds to actually be able to get out of our financial misery.

In other news were elected Liga Orangina overachievers of the season and the most improved club in Portugal by the press.

Awards wise, I got third place in the manager of the year award, Antônio was selected in the team of the season, as well as winning an award for the most MoM´s in the league.

I have also reached the 200 game mark for the club.

This Season Targets

1. Mid-table safety Success – relegation was never a threat and in the end mid-table was dissappointing.

2. Be more consistent Fail – If the season went well, consistency was still not a part of it, seemed like we were two different teams each half of the season.

Next Season Targets

1. Promotion Challenge

2. Enjoy Europe, try to get through one stage

3. Strengthen the midfield

I have had the biggest wage budget rise to date, now we have € 14k p/w to spend. I think if players stay fit and we can keep up our performances throughout the year than I think we can have a go at promotion, although I don’t think we are quite there yet. Am also looking forward to Europe, will probably be our only campaign for a while, so getting through one stage would be nice, but I am not expecting anything.

Career Overview

Season       League                     Pos      Taça de Portugal     Bwin Cup        Europe      Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13      2. Divisão - Zona Sul      7th      First Round          N/A             N/A         None
2013/14      2. Divisão - Zona Centro   3rd      Second Round         N/A             N/A         None
2014/15      2. Divisão - Zona Centro   1st      Third Round          N/A             N/A         Promotion
2015/16      Liga Orangina              10th     Second Round         First Phase     N/A         None
2016/17      Liga Orangina              10th     Fourth Round         Second Phase    N/A         None
2017/18      Liga Orangina              8th      Runners-Up           First Phase     N/A         Europa League Qualification 

150px-Usnovese.png

End of Season Report - Novese - 2029/30 (Season 18) - Serie A

Serie A - 2nd

I'm stunned. This will go down as one of my greatest ever seasons on Football Manager. Having come 10th last season and not majorly improving the squad, we embarked on a heralded year at the Pastorino Stadium.

We started superbly, new striker Sergio Meza Sanchez practically scored a goal a game for the first half of the season as we continued our new found goalscoring touch.

As we sat toward the summit of Serie A it wasn't until November that we lost our first game. Inter had shown themselves to be the dominant force in the league as holders Fiorentina wilted and we were smashed 3-0 at home. It was disappointing but we refocused well to cement our place as a title-contending team.

We lost just twice more all season (in all comps), once at home to Fiorentina in January and again to Inter in the reverse fixture. This ultimately prevented us taking top spot as well as one too many draws. Nonetheless any season that has just three defeats is not to be sniffed at.

Our best moments were winning 2-1 in the Olimpico over Roma and 4-0 at Juventus Stadium.

Results 1 | Results 2

Progess

The Cup:

Suitably our form in the TIM Cup also turned for the better as we went and won the trophy! Beating Genoa away 4-2 and third-placed Atalanta 3-1 at home set us up with Juve in a two legged semi final. A great, fortunate, 1-0 win away set us up nicely to book our place in the final with a 2-0 win at home.

We took to the Olimpico to claim the trophy against Udinese. In a fantastic cup final that saw us take the lead and then fall 2-1 behind, we took the game to extra time where Carlo Ripa won us our first major trophy!

The Squad

Lautaro Corno (GK) - he really is fantastic. Has improved considerably this season and kept a hell of a lot of clean sheets.

Daouda Solo (DR) - another solid campaign that saw him make the Serie A team of the season.

Dario Nieva (DC) - leads the back three and did very well though did get sent off twice. Still looking for a better long-term replacement.

Jose Maria Fernandez Fuentes (D/WBL) - summer signing and newest member of the back three. No real weakness.

Ricardo Ledesma (DC/DM/MC) - Just a ridiculously good player. He has a £13m get out clause that I expect someone to match this summer. Hope I can keep him.

Saul Garcia (DC/DM/MC) - does the anchorman role well and played alongside Ledesma for most of the campaign.

Bernardo Velazquez (MRC) - jumped into Lucas's shoes this year becoming our primary advanced playmaker.

Lucas (MC) - fell down the pecking order as his contract was running out. Signed a new deal and offers good competition to Velazquez.

Ally Guillano (M/AML) - his first season as first choice and wow. Excellent prospect and a great contribution from left wing.

Harold Cardenas (MRC/AMR) - repeated last season's haul of 16 assists from right wing.

Karel Pacholik (AMRL/ST) - filled in for Guillano and Cardenas when needed very well.

Carlo Ripa (AMRC/ST) - even though he's not top class, he has been brilliant for us ever since signing from Roma. Scored about a goal every other game. He is now the first icon I've had at the club.

Sergio Meza Sanchez (AMR/ST) - the revelation and an instant hit with the fans. 32 goals in 44 games is stunning. Only missed one game all season when I decided to rest him. Won signing of the season and finished 2nd in top goalscorer as well as fans player of the year.

Giorgio Natale (AMC/ST) - not quite the fairy tale end but I'd hoped but he did score a couple of goals to take his haul to 64 in his Novese career. Decided to retire this summer. Good servant to the club and it was nice to have him back for a final swansong.

Squad Stats

Finances

Club Information

Facilities

Transfers

The club are investing £3.2m we just don't have in an expansion to the Pastorino Stadium to add 2,787 seats. Much needed as we've our average attendance last year was just 200 people below full capacity. Capacity will go up to 15,293 on completion.

Objectives Complete?

• Consolidate in the top ten

Success! By some way too.

• Hit the 50 point mark or more again

Success! 83 points. I wonder if we can attain that at all in the next few seasons.

• Try to bring more Italians to the club

Not exactly. Brought Giorgio Natale here but he's now retired. It's time to begin scouring the Italian U19's and U21's

New Objectives:

• Make it back into Europe
  • Hit the 65 point mark or more again
  • Keep hold of Ledesma, Velazquez, Meza Sanchez and Guillano

The main objectives from last year were hit and by some way. This coming year I can't possibly expect us to repeat what we achieved again. I think with the small squad, the poor finances and the extra fixtures Europe brings, I'd be pleased with a top 6 finish. I do want to have a good bash at Europe though, just to test this current side.

Joining us in Serie A this season are: Cagliari, Bari and Empoli. Departing Serie A are: Varese, Empoli and Udinese.

Seasonal Best Eleven

Overall Best Eleven

Good season corinthiano despite falling away. It's a shame obviously that Momotenko was injured for so long. Is there anyone on the radar that could replace him? Or would it be worth hoping for a less injury hit campaign next year?

Remarkable progress in the cup, and I see you found the answer to your question about European qualification! Good luck on your travels :)

Nice to see you managed to maintain a hold near the top of the table iacovone, it was always going to be difficult to get top spot, but Champions League football could do you wonders. Have to say from looking at your players that I think you can stay up there if you manage to hold on to them.

I have already pre-arranged for two Brazilians to come in January, both can play MC or AMC and are at the same level as Momotenko or better. In January I will decide wether to offload him or just let his contract run out. He is only worth € 10k so I dont think I will get muich for him. I have snapped up a youngster that can do the job in case Momotenko gets injured up until January as well.

Managed to get past the Second Qualifying Round easily in the Europa League, beating Ekranas 5-0 on aggregate. Now I am up against St. Mirren, definately a tougher challenge, but given our results against Ekranas I think I stand a chance.

iacovone - Great season. 2nd is a great result and a place in the Champions League and the money that brings should be a huge help in finessing the squad for a challenge on Inter. Exciting times in Novese!

corinthiano - Also a very good season. Great cup run and an early European adventure. I think you're doing the right thing with Momotenko. If he can shake off his injury problems then he has the talent to be a real asset at that level, and in the Premier League too. I'm foreseeing a real promotion push next season. Though the further you climb the more likely it becomes you will beat me to completion!!

Apologies for the triple post but I thought this new youth recruit was deserving of more than being tagged onto another post.

Anyway, my youth academy is really starting to bear fruit as, after producing Pedro Cardoso last year, it produces another corking prospect. Please welcome Paulo Jorge Vieira - born in Angra do Heroísmo just a few minutes from the stadium. Born on 4th October 2014, when his local club were embarking on their first Second League he looks to have a bright future.

iacovone - wow, what progress!! from 10th to 2nd!! fantastic mate - delighted for you. good luck in your CL campaign. great being in there, trust me. was nice to see Natale back, even if it ended up being a little comical!! :) good luck next season mate

corinthiano - well done on reaching the cup final!! enjoy Europe next season - realistically how far do you think you can go?

Celticdaft - congrats on the double promotion - good luck next season.

Dexter - great season with Messina again - keep up the good work...

PRDH - another good prospect there - what are you putting in the water there??? i want some!

PRDH - another good prospect there - what are you putting in the water there??? i want some!

I wish I knew! Absolutely nothing for 15 years and then three in a row with players who I can see playing a big part in my plans. Pinto, Cardoso and Vieira the future of Lusitânia Açores? Maybe.

Got another season done. Will start on the report tonight, but it might not be until tomorrow.

I am also very jealous of your latest youth prospects PRDH, they have been looking very good! And I wouldn't worry about me completing the challenge before you. Qualifying for Europe with Real is my biggest achievement since getting Mazagao in the Brazilian Serie A on FM09, I am hardly an expert at this game :rolleyes::D

rlipscombe - I am not sure tbh, I think we could have enough to beat St. Mirren, but we would probably not be seeded in the final qualifying round and probably get handed tough opposition. I would love to make the group stages, but realistically I dont think it will happen.

Good luck with Burgos dj clark boy :thup:

EDIT: Yep, we managed to beat St. Mirren in the Second Qualifying Stage and will face Dinamo in the next round. Think this could be the end of our run, although we certainly could have gotten better teams, Liverpool and Man City were in the draw!

7000008.png

Lusitânia Açores - Season Summary - 2030/31

Finances

Key figure - £25,732,128 | Summary

Some profitable transfer dealings have left us in a stronger financial position than last season - hurrah!

Club News

1/ Stadium expanded taking the capacity up to 44,864 which we get close to regularly with this season seeing an average attendance of 42,679 (a mere 42,252 higher than in my first season in charge!).

Transfers | 9 In (£6.75m) & 16 Out (£16.25m)

A couple of big names (Fontaine and Jensen) left over the summer netting us more than £30m they were replaced in the first team internally and youngsters brought in to provide competition/back up.

The new off-season is probably going to be a tad more sedate as I am only planning to move on a few squad players.

League | Predicted - 2nd

Table | Graph

Well, once again we went into the league season predicted to finish in second place. I'm a little hurt if I'm honest, I mean I'd won eight in a row before this season, at what stage am I favourites to win!?

After Fontaine and Jensen left this summer it was with a slightly experimental feel that we started the season. Things came together and we were up with the front runners from the start.

By the halfway point we were top of the league and we were starting to extend our lead and it looked like we were back to our old dominant self. However, once more Porto managed an important win over us. This started a mini wobble where we drew a couple of in theory winnable games. This meant that once again the title game down to the final game of the season. We faced Sporting in Angra do Heroísmo with us sitting three points ahead of them knowing that if we won or drew we would be champions but that Sporting could technically still win if they beat us heavily. We needn't have worried, Edemilson Mendès had put his shooting boots on and he netted a hat trick that saw us emerge as 3-1 victors and collect our ninth consecutive (and tenth overall) Premier League title. Just 24 more to over take Benfica's record!

Cups

Supertaça | Beaten Finalists

An exciting game finished with Sporting winning 3-2. It would have been nice to have the trophy again, but I'm not that upset.

Taça de Portugal | 3rd Round

We sent out the youngsters and we lost. All part of the education though and our early exit meant we had fewer games to worry about as we neared the business end of the season. Surely that could only help our assault on European glory, right?

League Cup | Group Phase

Again our youngsters proved they're not quite there yet as they only managed two draws and a loss in the group phase of the League Cup. I'm going to continue with the youth policy though.

Europe

Group Stage | Standings

Well, an easy group was made to look tricky as we put in some poor performances against the likes of Celtic, Liverpool and Standard. Fortunately we snuck through on goal difference at the expense of Celtic.

1st Knockout Round | First Leg | Second Leg

We were once again rewarded for progress from the group with a nasty next round and for the second year running we were drawn a Milanese club. This time it was Inter rather than AC.

The first leg was at home and we played well but were pegged back to a 2-2 draw thanks to a last minute own goal from Gautier. It meant we faced a real struggle back at the San Siro. Things started badly as we conceded in the 11th minute. They then got worse as Pitoco received two yellow cards in two minutes and watched the remaining seventy minutes from the bench. We went on to lose 3-0 and fall at this hurdle for the sixth time in our history.

Squad | Overview

'Keepers

Ales Svoboda - 42 apps, 48 conc, 13 cln - He still doesn't inspire constant confidence in me but he's more than adequate in Portugal, and I like to think he's good enough to be part of a proper Champions' League assault if the rest of the team plays properly.

Jonathan Williams - 1 app, 2 conc - Back up this season. The Welsh keeper is decent but is never going to be a world beater.

Defenders

Pitoco - 29(1) apps, 1 gl, 2 asts - Apart from getting sent off when we certainly needed all of our players in the Champions' League he had a decent seasons. Good presence on the right of defence and puts a great shift in up the right side of the pitch.

Sébastien Gautier - 41 apps, 2 gls, 5 asts, 2 MoMs - Another good season for the defender as he cements his position as one of the best defenders around.

Hrvoje Bule - 1app - Croatian defender with bags of potential. Given some time to mature behind the senior players he could be a really interesting player.

Giannis Sentementes - 5(2) apps, 1 gl - The Greek centre half is another who is looking to develop into a first team player.

Meraneh Descazals - 39 apps, 7 gls, 2 asts, 5 MoMs - Made captain after Fontaine's departure and he didn't disappoint as he maintained his form. A disaster for Djibouti as their greatest ever player retired from the international game.

Fortune Garba - 0(1) app - A player with the potential to provide more than adequate back up for the club. He made his debut this season after a few loan spells.

Jaimy van Putten - 12(4) apps, 3 asts - Performed his back up duties admirably.

Steve Hoggan - 20(1) apps, 4 asts - American full back got plenty of game time as Osses had problems with injuries. He performed well and impressed me enough to think he's got the potential to make the position his own in the long term.

Mauro - 2 apps - He's stalled slightly, I think he is one who will benefit from time out on loan in the second tier next season to mature and get games under his belt.

Christian Osses - 23 apps, 3 asts - Had some real injury problems this season and the record appearance holder has started to look like age is beginning to catch up on him. We'll see how he fares next year, but it may be time to look at reducing his responsibilities.

Midfielders

Martín Salto - 2(2) apps - Arrived in January to add competition for Fink. I really rate this guy and think he could really go far given time and training.

Tornado - 23(5) apps, 3 gls, 6 asts, 1 MoM - Played second fiddle to Scaricamazza for much of the season but chipped in with some great performances when needed.

Roberto Scaricamazza - 23(4) apps, 4 gls, 6 asts, 1 MoM - A good season for the diminutive midfielder schemer as he plotted the team's performances from in front of the defence. He is great at dictating the tempo and very rarely gives the ball away. A really nice option to have in the middle of the park.

Emin Dalkali - 30 apps, 7 gls, 6 asts, 3 MoMs - Built on his breakthrough last year and cemented his position as first choice right winger. He looked good though he could do with becoming a little more clinical.

Mike Okoro - 7(9) apps, 4 gls, 3 asts, 1 MoM - Returned from a few seasons out on loan to play a supporting role to Dalkali and did a fine job. He has many of the same qualities and rarely disappointed when needed.

Stefan Fink - 39 apps, 8 gls, 17 asts, 5 MoMs - The man entrusted with replacing Fontaine and he didn't disappoint. He was fantastic this year, controlling play and laying on plenty of goals for the side. He more than repaid the faith I put in him.

Julius Holm - 2 apps, 1 ast - Brought in as back up for the first half of the season as I waited for Salto to turn 18 and arrive in January. Fortunately he was not needed as I fear his lack of pace may have proved a big hindrance. I have the option to buy him over the summer, but I'm not sure I want to.

Holger Lemke - 8(4) apps, 1 gl, 2 asts - Continued his footballing education this season and played an important role in some good wins. I'm starting to wonder whether he'll make it with us, especially with our new youth player being another to have his eyes on this position.

Héctor Partida - 32 apps, 3 gls, 7 asts - Another to repay the faith I put in him. He was asked to step into the first team and replace Jensen this year and he did so with gusto. He started slowly but really grew into the squad and more than earned his winner's medal.

Álvaro Pinto - 5(10) apps, 1 gl - Another of the growing number of youth team prospects in the first team squad. Again he is continuing to learn his trade but doesn't look entirely out of place and I still believe he can grow into a useful member of the squad.

Forwards

Allan Tranberg - 2(1) apps - His first team opportunities completely evaporated this season as younger players took his place. His future is up in the air at the moment. He's useful back up to have around the squad, but I may look to move him on this year.

Alan Neira - 40 apps, 18 gls, 7 asts, 6 MoMs - The superbly gifted striker had another excellent season for us. It's hard to believe he only cost us £160k when he joined, surely one of the best bargains. He's not prolific but then I don't expect that from the supporting striker. He is there to link play and set up chances for others and he does that beautifully. Also filled in nicely on the wings when required.

Micha Peek - 6(20) apps, 7 gls, 3 asts - Still finds himself limited mainly to appearances off the bench but scored a number of important goals from this situation. He is one I'd be confident of stepping up to the plate if required.

Sidnei Mamede - 0(2) apps - Another to find himself sidelined this year. He is an excellent player and deserves more but with other strikers not being as hit with injuries this year he found himself fall down the pecking order. He is starting to, understandably, want more first team football so may be off over the close season.

Miguel Angel Klein - 0(1) app - Never complains despite spending his life on the very fringes of the squad. I can't see him breaking through any further and is another of my slightly bloated ranks of forwards who may find himself playing his football elsewhere next year.

Edemilson Mendès - 35(5) apps, 26 gls, 10 asts, 5 MoMs - Stayed relatively injury free this season and showed why he is such a useful player to have around. He scores and provides goals in good number and is rapidly constructing a stunning goalscoring record. His league record now stands at 92 in 111 games. Phenomenal.

Rodrigo - 1 app - A youngster who makes me reasonably confident in off-loading some of the other fringe strikers as I see bags of potential in this one. Needs some game time next season is he can get it.

Pedro Cardoso - 4(17) apps, 4 gls, 1 ast - Another of the lads from the island this exciting youngster was mainly restricted to appearances off the bench in the last few minutes as he looks to get a positive start in the game. He got his first goal early in his career as he scored an injury time winner to endear himself still further with the fans. He got a few more this season but most importantly got some great experience and started to improve his physical stats. Something I hope he continues.

Lusitânia Açores Youth Products - A new sub-section of the squad dedicated to those players who've come through the youth set up and seem to have a future in the game. It seems starting it now as I have actually produced some.

Rui Lopes - Class of 2029 - Centre half with all of the technical ability to be a quality defender if he could just hone his physical abilities. Some signs of him managing that this year, but not enough for him to trouble the first team proper. Verdict - Must try harder.

Álvaro Pinto - Class of 2029 - Right winger/Att Midfielder who came through in the same batch as Lopes. He has made more of an impact on the first team so far but that is certainly helped by playing a less vital role which has allowed him to come on towards the ends of games. He has decent physical stats and decent technical abilities but both will need to improve if he is to make a real name for himself. Did score his first goal for the club this season. Verdict - Satisfactory

Pedro Cardoso - Class of 2030 - Striker with all the potential in the world if he can improve his physical presence. He made his debut and grabbed some important late goals, the first of which saw him become the club's youngest ever goalscorer. He has also shown an ability to improve his speed. High hopes remain for this guy. Verdict - Encouraging signs that he could make the grade.

Paulo Jorge Vieira - Class of 2031 - Midfielder who has great technical abilities for his age and reasonable physical stats. He didn't get a chance to get on the pitch this year as the players join the club after the registration window closes but certainly one who will hope to get a chance to shine next season. Verdict - Too soon to say, but signs are encouraging.

Aims For This Season Were...

1/ Get back to my dominant league form. Verdict - Not quite as dominant as I have been, but certainly an improvement.

2/ With a nice draw I'd like to get to the CL final. Verdict - Not an easy draw but also did myself no favours and my group performance was scrappy.

3/ Blood my youngsters in the cup and ends of league games. Verdict - Success. Pinto and Cardoso got plenty of time on the pitch and showed signs of progression.

Aims For Next Season Are...

1/ It might be time to look for an undefeated season. I'm pretty sure I can do it, I've just had some nasty blips.

2/ Progress in Europe would be nice.

3/ Continue to give the youth products a chance to shine and improve.

Story So Far...

Season		League			Position		Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/13		Second Division - South	12th			Avoided Relegation (just)
2013/14		Second Division - South 1st			Promoted!
2014/15		Second League		14th			Avoided Relegation
2015/16		Second League		2nd			Promoted!
2016/17		Premier League		13th			Avoided Relegation
2017/18		Premier League		3rd			Qualified for Europa League
2018/19		Premier League		4th			Europa League again
2019/20		Premier League		5th			Europa League again
2020/21		Premier League		1st			Champions!
2021/22		Premier League		2nd			CL Qualification again
2022/23		Premier League		1st			Champions!
2023/24		Premier League		1st			CL 1st Knockout Round
2024/25		Premier League		1st			CL 1st Knockout Round
2025/26		Premier League		1st			CL 1st Knockout Round
2026/27		Premier League		1st			CL 1st Knockout Round
2027/28		Premier League		1st			CL Semi Final
2028/29		Premier League		1st			CL 1st Knockout Round
2029/30		Premier League		1st			CL Semi Final
2030/31		Premier League		1st			CL 1st Knockout Round

Previous Updates

12/13

13/14

14/15

15/16

16/17

17/18

18/19

19/20

20/21

21/22

22/23

23/24

24/25

25/26

26/27

27/28

28/29

29/30

good to see you gain some semblance of control in the league again. CL still proving tricky though - SURELY you will make the breakthrough soon!! some good signings in there too.

I'd like to think so rlips but I don't know what I can do. I don't think my side has any particularly obvious weaknesses, none that can be rectified with the money and draw of Portugal anyway. I was honestly starting to get a bit bored of this constant domestic win/continental failure life but the youth players coming through has livened the whole thing up again.

LLR - Have fun! Hope you give those nasty Aussies a good thrashing!

Proud day at Lusitânia Açores - three substitutions made in my last match - all of them homegrown and also Mendès has made it to 100 league goals. It's taken him only 116 games.

150px-Usnovese.png

Pre-Season Transfer Review - Novese - 2030/31 - Serie A

Right then, time to show you my summer purchases for this monumental first season in Europe. I had a whopping £20m to spend (huge for the size of our club - that's just £1m shy of the entire value of the club!) despite having about £1m in the bank.

Olivier Morin & Tete were both brought in on loan from Lazio. They're very much here to plug gaps when needed but both have good potential so it shouldn't be damaging if they do have to play.

Mark Bekker came in to provide competition to Daouda Solo, who although he'd been fantastic for us in the past few years, can still be improved upon. I'll rotate them and see who looks the strongest.

Pirulito came in on loan to provide centre-back cover - read below and you'll know why. And Jeh Sarkar the half-English, half-Indian midfielder will do much the same in providing cover in midfield.

Steve - the best name of any Brazilian ever. £7.75m he cost me, which is a club record but he could be superb up top with Meza Sanchez or Ripa.

The problem with signing Steve is that three others have a 'match highest earner' clause in their contracts. Sneaky b*******. Anyway because of that I suddenly went from £5k under budget to £20k over it :D. So that meant I had to sell the club captiain Dario Nieva. I'd braced myself for his sale for a while though, so no big deal.

The real big deal is having my keeper Lautaro Corno, Bernardo Velazquez and Christer Nilsson all with just 12 months left on their contracts. I can't sell them so I'm just going to pray that in 6 months time they're happy to sit down and pen a new deal. If I lose all three for peanuts it'll be a crippling blow to my ambitions.

Transfer Summary

Other club news:

The Champions League group draw has been made and it's a real bugger. We have arguably the three biggest clubs in their respective countries (at a push). Liverpool, Bayern Munich and CSKA Moscow. It'll be a miracle to qualify. Europa League would require something quite magical too. I guess we enjoy it and see what happens.

The CL money we received for getting in the groups is being spent on new youth facilities (at £1.3m) which is another step in the right direction. Other than that, off we go :)

iacovone - Steve looks like a great player. I'd say Cardoso is very, very close now. He gets on in most games and is definite first reserve for Mendes. It's tricky because he scores so regularly and that makes him quite hard to drop. I'm wondering whether they can play together, but then Neira is great at what he does too.

PRDH - shame you seemed to go back to a familiar story in the CL, but your youth prospects are looking great, hope one of your local boys can fire you to CL glory.

iacovone - Some good signings there and a pretty decent start in the group as well, like the look of Steve too :thup:

EDIT: Kerrrrching! Money problems over for the time being :)

We have been drawn with Schalke, Ajax and Rapid Wien. I'll be happy to get something out of Rapid, am delighted at just getting this far!

PRDH - shame you seemed to go back to a familiar story in the CL, but your youth prospects are looking great, hope one of your local boys can fire you to CL glory.

"And as we head into time-added on in the Champions' League final Vieira slides a lovely ball through to Cardoso who takes a touch and calmly puts the ball beyond the reach of opponent's 'keeper and Lusitânia Açores are champions of Europe" *snort* "Huh, what's going on... Oh, it was just a dream..."

We're having another great season. The league will be between us, Inter and Roma. After 17 games we're all on 38 points. It's gonna be tight.

As for contract news, Velazquez and Nilsson signed new deals. Corno won't though and he'll leave on a Bosman in the summer. Big shame but I've already lined up an excellent keeper to replace him.

We've also qualified in second place from our CL group and face Chelsea in the next round. We didn't lose a game in the groups, drawing home and away with Bayern, beating Liverpool and CSKA at home and drawing both away. This is beyond our wildest dreams :)

That has also meant we've had a wave of cash come into the club. I'd forgotten how much you get through TV revenue! So in January right now and I've snapped up a Brazilian and Argentine pair of DM's. They both look fantastic and the Argie Caro said on arrival that he idolised Moraes the Brazilian! :D. Moraes is an absolute monster of a player. 6 foot 4 and 20 for strength. Beast :cool:

Archived