FM2012 Training And Match Prep Masterclass

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do it once my tactical prep is all fluid, that way they stay happy because I don't focus on that for rest of season. As I'd rather then extra work be put into attributes rather than a short term match prep boost. This method won't be for everyone though, but works perfect for me :)

So Cleon,

Once your tactic is all fluid, how much is the workload on your Match Prep, none? Wouldn't none Match Prep lose the fluidity of your tactic? Or perhaps your workload is at "very low", which takes only 10% of the total training load.

So Cleon,

Once your tactic is all fluid, how much is the workload on your Match Prep, none? Wouldn't none Match Prep lose the fluidity of your tactic? Or perhaps your workload is at "very low", which takes only 10% of the total training load.

Sorry yeah I wasn't very clear :) I leave it on very low.

Do you have an update on Neymar yet? I can post one up later for you, hes improved well. But Ganso on the same schedule has improved even more.

Don't you get any complaints though? On this version i had players complaining about the match preparation workload when it was on very low so i increased it to low just to shut them up.

No never had a single complaint about match prep. I didn't think players could complain about that, only the normal schedules? Your assistant can advise you but never seen a player complain about it.

I was surprised to see it but it happened, though since i'm managing on the lower leagues the players will normally have weak personalilties so i suppose it may not happen at a higher level.

Cool I didn't know it was a feature not seen it mentioned anywhere :)

I'm guessing it happens when you aren't fluid with passing, tempo etc? If everything is fluid then they shouldn't complain because they already have learnt the way you want to play

That was probably the reason, on my current save i've switched to very low having everything fluid and nobody is complaining.. i'll have to try it next time they are learning a new tactic.

I just tried it on a test game and they do infact moan, quite a good feature :)

Sorry yeah I wasn't very clear :) I leave it on very low.

Do you have an update on Neymar yet? I can post one up later for you, hes improved well. But Ganso on the same schedule has improved even more.

Sorry, no update on Neymar, because I haven't played FM12 lately. I'm waiting for Steklo X2 skin to be released, plus I've been enjoying FIFA 12 online play on my new 46" Samsung 3D LED HDTV.

Sorry, no update on Neymar, because I haven't played FM12 lately. I'm waiting for Steklo X2 skin to be released, plus I've been enjoying FIFA 12 online play on my new 46" Samsung 3D LED HDTV.

Use the 'R Skin' till its released, that skin is really good :)

I'll post up a screenshot of Neymar tonight

Use the 'R Skin' till its released, that skin is really good :)

I'll post up a screenshot of Neymar tonight

I'm not feeling the R Skin for some reason. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on Neymar. Have you changed his schedule from the one you posted earlier?

I'm not feeling the R Skin for some reason. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on Neymar. Have you changed his schedule from the one you posted earlier?

Still the exact same schedule, I've also put Ganso on it.

2mcwxf8.png

2vmh4sh.png

Neymar is coming on really good. I gave him individual focus on finishing.

gansox.png

24qixi8.png

Both players developing really nice on these schedules.

In fact the other position schedules I use are seeing some really good attribute changes across the board.

Still the exact same schedule, I've also put Ganso on it.

2mcwxf8.png

2vmh4sh.png

Neymar is coming on really good. I gave him individual focus on finishing.

gansox.png

24qixi8.png

Both players developing really nice on these schedules.

In fact the other position schedules I use are seeing some really good attribute changes across the board.

Nice development on both players. I see that you've trained Ganso to be a Striker. Didn't that stall his development as it took away CA points?

Nice development on both players. I see that you've trained Ganso to be a Striker. Didn't that stall his development as it took away CA points?

Doesn't seem to have, infact within a season he was natural for the position. But he is a very versatile and determined person. Plus because he was playing really well his attributes developed a lot better.

Doesn't seem to have, infact within a season he was natural for the position. But he is a very versatile and determined person. Plus because he was playing really well his attributes developed a lot better.

So you didn't have to increase his training workload and he didn't suffer from any temporary drop in attributes? What is the percentage split of his workload? I would assume that he has 70% dedicated to training schedule, 10% to positional training, 10% on Match Prep and 10% on either individual focus or PPM. Am I right? I'm surprised how well he has developed despite the positional training. Well done?

One reason I don't like training players into new positions is because it takes away from their CA and drops their attributes no matter what schedule I have them on. That was on FM11, mind you. I've stayed away from it on FM12, since I assume it would be pretty much the same.

Have you had similar success with other players while they have learned new positions?

So you didn't have to increase his training workload and he didn't suffer from any temporary drop in attributes? What is the percentage split of his workload? I would assume that he has 70% dedicated to training schedule, 10% to positional training, 10% on Match Prep and 10% on either individual focus or PPM. Am I right? I'm surprised how well he has developed despite the positional training. Well done?

One reason I don't like training players into new positions is because it takes away from their CA and drops their attributes no matter what schedule I have them on. That was on FM11, mind you. I've stayed away from it on FM12, since I assume it would be pretty much the same.

Have you had similar success with other players while they have learned new positions?

I'm not seeing any attribute drops when I'm training players for new positions at all. Ganso was already competent as a striker though if I remember correctly. It was the assistant who told me to retrain him so I did. At the start of the game though he is injured for like 3 months so his attributes will already be low. You are right with the workload figures except I didn't have any individual focus while training him a new position.

I'm not seeing any attribute drops when I'm training players for new positions at all. Ganso was already competent as a striker though if I remember correctly. It was the assistant who told me to retrain him so I did. At the start of the game though he is injured for like 3 months so his attributes will already be low. You are right with the workload figures except I didn't have any individual focus while training him a new position.

So Ganso had/has 80% of his workload on training schedule, 10% on Match Prep and 10% on positional training?

I will keep that in mind and I will try re-training someone to a new position (Pedro as STC on my Barca save) as soon as I start playing FM again (after Steklo X2 is released).

When my players are complaining about the training workload, should I lower it, or just let them complain? I'm not sure if their complaints will have a bad influence on their performance during matches...

They won't affect match performance unless it's already lowered their morale. Cleon suggests in the long term it mighty slow their development - but then so might reducing their training schedule. It's horses for courses really. Personally, I ignore them. One suggestion could be to give individual training on workrate since that is one of the reasons they don't like hard work!

Why is that if you select your assistant to handle match preparation training, he leaves it on "average", when all your tactics are fluid? It doesn't make sense...

And this is purely empiric, but it seems that my team's form suffers when I leave match preparation on "very low". Anyone notice something similar or is just my imagination?

Now my tactics are all fluid, I don't just set it to very low; I set it to off unless I have a particular fixture that needs attention. No problem with my results.

Haven't you had any player complaining that the team is not working enough on match preparation? It happens to me, even on very low.

Coach Attributes

Similar to player attributes (more about that in another article), coach attributes consists of background, prime and secondary attributes, but they have a different meaning when dealing with coaches specifically:

Background Attributes

There are two types of background attributes. The first type (coaching) influences the training score for individual players. They are Man Management and Working With Youngsters. They are the equivalent of each other, so the former is preferred for first team or regular coaches, while the latter is preferred for youth coaches.

The second type of background attribute (mental) controls things like how well the coach settles at the club and his tactical knowledge. This also includes his judging abilities, so mental background attributes are most important when choosing an assistant manager.

None of the background attributes have an influence on the star rating of the coach.

Prime Attributes

Prime attributes are used for every training category when calculating quality rating (stars). They are Determination, Level of Discipline and Motivating. If these three attributes are high enough, the coach is generally good at most of the training categories, regardless of his secondary attributes. Prime attributes can make up at least 50% of the maximum star rating for all categories.

Secondary Attributes

Secondary attributes only affects specific training categories. Here’s how they affect specific training categories, and how much:

Attacking – 43% attacking and 24% shooting

Defending – 43% defending

Fitness – 62% strength and 62% aerobic

Goalkeepers – 43% GK (shot stopping) and 43% GK (handling)

Mental – 24% ball control

Tactical – 43% tactics, 19% defending and 24% attacking

Technical – 43% ball control and 43% shooting

With all this information we can now make some pretty good assumptions on how to select and appoint coaches. High background (coaching) attributes will increase the training score, and high background (mental) attributes are best for assistant managers. High prime attributes are preferred in all cases, and then the secondary attributes are used for specific categories.

In relation to the quoted part of the topic you talk about background attributes with the first part you talk about Man Management for Adults and Working with Youngsters for Juniors.

Then you start taking about the mental controls in which I can't see you listing any specific attributes you should be looking at, I understand these have nothing with training however you say these are ideal for your assistant manager so what are your recommended attributes for the assistant manager?

The reasoning behind this is when I do a staff search I can look for Man Management, (Working with Youngsters - maybe), Determination, Level of Discipline, Motivating & ___, etc.

Regards

---

To vote and provide feedback on my general discussion topic to introduce Staff Roles and Duties into FM Series please click on my provided link to do so http://bit.ly/u8WoDS

How are you guys handling the finishing training? It seems obvious - as long as you do not care about long shots - to use no finishing training at all and use specific focus instead. However, this way I can not have my attackers to focus on anything but finishing, which is subpar as well.

I was also wanting people's takes on this?

Also, how do I get the overall workload for the whole squad down from 'medium' to 'low'? Is it to do with how many players you have at the club/training? so the less players there are, the lower it will be?

Thanks.

Another question I have.

Do many of you create youth, developing, 1st team & veteran schedules or do you mostly just create youth & 1st team schedules?

Thanks.

If you invest more time and effort you get more reward, but the advantages are miniscule. Personally I do do the former (well, I use furious uk's schedules which have loads of separate schedules).

If you invest more time and effort you get more reward, but the advantages are miniscule. Personally I do do the former (well, I use furious uk's schedules which have loads of separate schedules).

Cool, cheers.

Do you use all of his schedules or just for youth etc?

is it safe to tone down the match preparation to very low - teamwork once the bars are full, in order for the players to get more training time ? or should i just keep it to low?

I put it on very low.

I've been using the individual focus on heavy a lot lately on the lowest attributes (that are still important for the position) and the results are very good since it's faster to develop from 10 to 11 than to 13 to 14 as Mantralux wrote before.

As soon as it improves i just switch the focus to the next lowest attribute.

so when tactic is fluid it's a good idea to put match preparation on very low?

sometimes it seemed to me that with low match preparation the team was performing worse during the season, though maybe it was only coincidence.

I keep it on very low or even off for most games - routine ones I should be winning. When I'm up against a strong opponent will I go for defensive positioning, or when I'm blooding a new forward or youth player I might go for attacking movement.

I keep it on very low or even off for most games - routine ones I should be winning. When I'm up against a strong opponent will I go for defensive positioning, or when I'm blooding a new forward or youth player I might go for attacking movement.

it does make a lot of sense and certainly helps training level and attributes improvements, though sometimes I had the same feeling as Marcelo (post 171) that the team played worse when I put MP on very low even when all the bars were full. Maybe was just my imagination though.

Any "official" info about that? I mean once all the bars are full/fluid having MP on average (or even high) has positive effects on your team performances? Or it's simply useless?

it does make a lot of sense and certainly helps training level and attributes improvements, though sometimes I had the same feeling as Marcelo (post 171) that the team played worse when I put MP on very low even when all the bars were full. Maybe was just my imagination though.

Any "official" info about that? I mean once all the bars are full/fluid having MP on average (or even high) has positive effects on your team performances? Or it's simply useless?

Taken from the manual;

9.3.2. Match Preparation

At the end of the day, you train in preparation for a match. This is where Match Preparation comes in. Whilst the Training tab deals with the technical and physical side of things, this will allow you to focus on your tactical approach for your next match. It can be found on the ‘Tactics’ tab under the ‘Overview’ sub-tab.

You will be able to select up to three tactics to prepare for use in the upcoming fixture, allowing your squad to gain greater familiarity with the system they’re about to use. This can be done by clicking on the ‘Add Tactic’ button within this panel.

There will also be the opportunity to focus on one particular area or style of play, designed to take advantage of your opponent’s flaws. For example, if they’re particularly prone to conceding from set pieces, you might want to focus heavily on Attacking Set Pieces. This will come at the expense of Team Cohesion and Attacking Movement, which will instead receive your usual levels of attention, but the extra time spent on Attacking Set Pieces may be the difference between winning and not winning.

You are able to use the specific focus even if you have no immediate fixture – which is perfect for honing an area of your squad and style. Spending a longer period of time working hard on executing a plan correctly will pay dividends.

What I do is once my tactic is fluid in all areas I move it to 'low' and just focus on whatever my scout tells me to, be it attacking movement or set pieces etc. Works like a charm and my team improves loads during a season in training due to the extra workload they get back to conentrate on attributes.

How do I get the overall workload for the whole squad down from 'medium' to 'low'? Is it to do with how many players you have at the club/training? so the less players there are, the lower it will be?

Thanks.

It's like an average of what you've set for the players.

The top right panel is the workload panel – a summary of what you’ve set up for your squad. The bottom panel lists all of your players, their current training schedule, and any attribute changes they’ve undergone since beginning their training schedule.

Taken from the manual;

What I do is once my tactic is fluid in all areas I move it to 'low' and just focus on whatever my scout tells me to, be it attacking movement or set pieces etc. Works like a charm and my team improves loads during a season in training due to the extra workload they get back to conentrate on attributes.

This sounds like a very good idea.

I had seen the manual, though I felt the MP part was quite vague. This thread has helped me a lot understanding various aspects of the game but MP is still looking a bit mysterious to me. I do understand the special focus part, though I can't figure out he MP workload and its effects on the team. If it only impacts the "bars" then once they're full anything above "very low" should be useless. On the other hand it's hard to understand if it has other effects on the team performances.

thanks for the help.

This sounds like a very good idea.

I had seen the manual, though I felt the MP part was quite vague. This thread has helped me a lot understanding various aspects of the game but MP is still looking a bit mysterious to me. I do understand the special focus part, though I can't figure out he MP workload and its effects on the team. If it only impacts the "bars" then once they're full anything above "very low" should be useless. On the other hand it's hard to understand if it has other effects on the team performances.

thanks for the help.

If it's not on very low, then they won't train the individual focus you've set. That's why it's still relevant. Plus if you make any changes the bars will change and won't all be fluid anymore, i.e strategy, d-line etc.

It's like an average of what you've set for the players.

The top right panel is the workload panel – a summary of what you’ve set up for your squad. The bottom panel lists all of your players, their current training schedule, and any attribute changes they’ve undergone since beginning their training schedule.

Archived