FM12: Sheffield Wednesday - A new era with Milan Mandaric!

Jonnyowl

Sheffield Wednesday

371px-Sheffield_Wednesday.svg.png

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club are a football club based in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, who are currently competing in the Football League One in the 2011-12season, in England. Sheffield Wednesday are one of the oldest professional clubs in the world and the fourth oldest in the English league. The Wednesday, as they were named until 1929, were founding members of The Football Alliance in 1889, and its first champions that inaugural season. The Wednesday joined The Football League three years later when the leagues merged. Sheffield Wednesday were also one of the founding members of The Premier League in 1992. Their main rivals are Sheffield United, the two clubs having contested the Steel City derby on a regular basis for some 100 years. Hull City, Barnsley, Leeds United, Bradford City, Huddersfield Town, Rotherham United, Chesterfield and Doncaster Rovers are also local rivals.The Owls have spent the majority of their history in the top flight of English football since joining the Football League in 1892. They have won four League titles, three FA Cups and one League Cup, but their League Cup triumph in 1991 is their only major trophy since 1935. They did reach both domestic cup finals in 1993, but lost 2–1 to Arsenal at Wembley on both occasions

They play their home matches at Hillsborough Stadium in the north-western suburb of Hillsborough. It is a 39,812 all-seater stadium built in 1899 when the lease expired at their previous ground of Olive Grove.

Sheffield-Wednesday--Hillsborough-Stadium-Ge_1058396.jpg

Between July and November 2010, Sheffield Wednesday faced a series of winding up orders for unpaid tax and VAT bills. On 29 November 2010, Milan Mandarić agreed to purchase the club. The purchase was completed after an Extraordinary General Meeting of Sheffield Wednesday's shareholders on 14 December 2010, during which 99.7% of shareholders voted to sell the company to Milan Mandarić's UK Football Investments for £1. Milan Mandarić has agreed to settle the club's outstanding debts as part of the largely confidential deal. As of 3 February 2011, Alan Irvine stated he had parted company with Wednesday after a crisis meeting following a 5–3 defeat by Peterborough. Gary Megson has since taken over and The Owls finished in 15th place in League One.

In Football Manager 12

Chairman: Milan Manadric

Balance:£8,400,000

Transfer/Wage Budget

Promotion:£350k transfer /£73k wage

Winner:£450k transfer/£82k wage

Media Prediction:2nd

Stadium Capacity: 39812

Coporate Facilities: Average

Training Facilities: Good

Youth Facilities: Adequate

Junior Coaching: Average

Youth Recruitment: Average

Staff

Manager: Gary Megson

Assistant Manager: Chris Evans

First Team Coach: Neil Thompson

Coach: Simon Rubery

Gk Coach: Andy Rhodes

Fitness Coach: Carl Wells

Youth Coach: Sean McAuley

Youth Coach: Neville Burbeary

Physio: Paul Smith

Physio: Alan Smith

Physio: Ashley Fickling

Scout: Shane Jones

Squad

Goalkeepers

Nicky Weaver - First choice goalkeeper and one of the best in the division. His contract is up at the end of the season and you may decide to replace him if you gain promotion.

Richard O'Donnell - More than a good enough back up for this league and should be given a chance to stake his claim for a first team spot in the cup matches. Don't think he will be good enough for the championship unless he improves.

Aaron Jameson - 3rd choice but given the other 2 keepers in the squad you should loan him out to give him first team opportunities.

Defenders

Lewis Buxton DRLC - Versatile defender who can play anywhere across the back but, his best position is RB and he is first choice in that position. He could be one that can make the step up to the Championship.

Jon Otsemobor D/WB R - 2nd choice right back that is more than good enough for this level however can be injury prone.

Danny Batth (on loan from Wolves) DC - Very promising young center back and should be first choice along with Rob Jones. Only here for half a season but do all you can to keep him till the end of the season. More than capable for the Championship.

Rob Jones DC - Club captain and first choice along with Batth. Very good for this level but may lack the physical attributes to play in the Championship.

Reda Johnson DC - Starts as a back up to Jones and Batth but more than capable at this level. Will need to improve his technical attributes to move up a level but should be capable of doing at, at the age of 23.

Julian Bennett DLC - First choice left back will be good enough for the championship. (Has a massive throw but SI games have only given him a 6 for long throw, Delap has 19 and Bennett's throws are just as long)

David Kasnik (on loan from Olimpija) DLC - Don't know much about this player expcept he's considered to be a ball playing defender. Has good attributes but has poor marking. Keep till January but then look for alternatives.

Mark Reynolds DLC WBL DM - Bit of a utility player but should be considered as back up LB. May need replacing if you are promoted.

Mark Beevers (on loan at MK Dons) DC - Promising young CB that has fallen down the pecking order. If you are unable to keep Batth until the end of the seaon then Beevers will be a more than capable player at this level and should challenge Johnson for a starting spot.

Midfielders

Chris Sedgwick M/AMR - Back up right midfilder but best played as a defensive winger or a wide right.

Jermaine Johnson AMRL - Pacey winger with no real end product. Contract up at end of season and you should look for a replacement.

Liam Palmer MC D/MR AMC - gifted young player that can play in a number of positions. His best position is probably MC playing a supporting role and I think that's where you should develop him. Has the potential to be one of the best players at the club.

David Prutton MRC - Brought in to add experiance to the middle of the park. Best played as a CM to defend or support.

Chris Lines MC - Good player that can be a creative spark in the middle of the picth. Best played as a CM set to attack.

Jose Semedo DC DM/MC - Best player in the team and first name on the team sheet. Play as a Defensive midfielder or a CM as a ball wiining midfilder.

James O'Connor MC - Back up CM best set for defend. Contract up at end of season so get rid as he will not be good enough for the Championship. As there are other options you could decide to get rid of him straight away as he is one of the higher earners. plus there are plenty of options for CM.

Daniel Jones D/M L - Defender or Midfielder? Well I would deffinatley say midfield, but looking at his stats he should only be a back up player. Will need replacing if promoted.

Ben Marshall (on loan from Stoke City) AM RLC - Can play on either wing or behind the striker. Best position is probably as an advance playemaker in the AMC position or you could play him as a winger. His loan is up in January so try and extend this to the end of the season. His contract is up at the end of the season and should be purchased if promoted.

Giles Coke MC - Now i've always rated Coke but his stats are down this year after being out of the side. His best postition is as an CM set to attack but he is not as good as Lines. He is possibly one you could sell for money or you could keep him for a season but he would only be 5th choice CM.

Cecil Nyoni DC DMC - Promising youngster probably best developed into a DMC. Send him out on loan to gain experiance.

Danny Uchechi (on loan from Dender) AM RL - On loan till January but I would termiante his loan immediatley and bring in someone else on loan.

Strikers

Gary Madine ST - Young talented should score goals and should be able to play at a higher level. Best played as a Target Man.

Chirs O'Grady ST - Another Target man who should be more than capable of scoring goals in League One and if he improves possibly in the Championship.

Clinton Morrison ST - Should score goals in League One but remains to be seen wether he can do it consistantly. can be played in a variety of roles either as a Poacher, Deep Lying Forward or as an Advanced Forward. His contract is up at the end of the season so I would replace him then.

Ryan Lowe ST - 4th choice striker best played as a Deep Lying forward. May be good enough for 1 season but at 32 not going to improve so he will need replacing.

Vadine Oliver ST - May have some promise but send him out on loan.

Nathan Modest ST - Never going to be good enough. Get rid.

Overall it's a strong and big squad for this league and without too many changes Promotion is a definate possibility. January will be a key time, keeping Batth and Marshall till the end of the season should be your top priority. As for start of the season I would try to sign another winger who can play on both sides a I don't think JJ is good enough. You may also deicde to bring in a pacey striker as a different option to the other 4 or you could leave this till January.

I've not given any analysis on players as we can all do that!

After playing the demo for a while, I think the priority has to be another winger and maybe a striker!

I don't think Uchechi is cut out for it so I have terminated his loan!

Players I have had on loan are Andros Townsend, Nathan Eccleston and Davide Petruci with varying results!

I'm still trying to find the best formation but I have had most sucsses with 4-1-2-1-2!

Will let people know how I get on!

Over to you guys!

Ps

When the full games comes out Morrison maybe on loan at MK Dons and Coke at Bury but we should have Mcgoldrick. (if SI have updated it which I'm sure they have)

I've not given any analysis on players as we can all do that!

After playing the demo for a while, I think the priority has to be another winger and maybe a striker!

I don't think Uchechi is cut out for it so I have terminated his loan!

Players I have had on loan are Andros Townsend, Nathan Eccleston and Davide Petruci with varying results!

I'm still trying to find the best formation but I have had most sucsses with 4-1-2-1-2!

Will let people know how I get on!

Over to you guys!

Ps

When the full games comes out Morrison maybe on loan at MK Dons and Coke at Bury but we should have Mcgoldrick. (if SI have updated it which I'm sure they have)

I don't agree.

People read OP's because they want that sort of information. If everybody could do this well team guides wouldn't be needed. Make some more effort if you can. :)

I don't agree.

People read OP's because they want that sort of information. If everybody could do this well team guides wouldn't be needed. Make some more effort if you can. :)

Well I don't mind doing it but, Do I base my perceptions of players on how they perform in the game or what I see of them in real life. I could quite easily give people my opinion but it could be totally wrong!

Opinions are never wrong because they are your opinions. The idea of a team guide is for you to give an idea as to who you would play, what formation you would use, and maybe players to sign and sell. It can be the difference between someone starting a save with your team or not. You've got to think of it as a product and you've got to try and sell it.

yup.. your a real life fan i assume? therefore your in a position to give us sheffield wednesday noobs an idea on how to play as the owls.. i for one would love to hear what you have to say..

you can incorporate real life knowledge and fm stuff... i.e '' player A has done well in this postion irl and works superbly well in game aswell ..blahblahblah"

Good opening post to the thread.

As a Wednesday fan I always start my first game on any FM as them. This year we've got a very good squad for the level we start at so shouldn't really need too much shuffling around if you're familiar with the game and are at least a competent player.

The one thing I will prioritise in my 1st game though is that I will be looking to ship out the whinging Morrison and bringing in a striker with pace. We have 2 good strikers in Madine and O'Grady who have both performed excellently for me in the demo but they're both too similar. I feel they should both be best at target man and seeing as I don't feel I can play 2 target men I need another option up front. Lowe hasn't really impressed me in the demo and so I'm going to be looking for a quick poacher to supplement my 2 big men. I managed to get Nile Ranger on loan in the demo and he did very well so I could look at that again.

Should also be worth noting that if you get Arsenal as a parent club (which isn't hard, I got them on both saves I played with the demo) then Oxlade-Chamberlain is willing to join, giving a much better option on the wing than JJ.

Bah, my enjoyment of my first save is already over in the space of about 5 minutes! First game of the season and I lose captain and best defender Rob Jones and newly signed striker Francois Zoko to injury in the 1st half of my opening league game. This after I lose Gary Madine, my best striker to injury in my last pre season friendly :(. Amazingly all 3 of them are out for 2 months, although all have different injuries.

Won the game 3-2, although I was 3-0 up before conceding 2 quickfire goals in the 70th and 72nd minute. Away to Stevenage. Lloyd Dyer, my other pre season signing is immense, scoring a hat trick on his debut, definitely worth looking at. Cost me £1mill over 48 months, but I must confess to bumping up our transfer budget to £1 million in the editor pre game so he may not be a viable signing if using the default data.

Had a bad cup draw away to Middlesbrough in my next game though and played what was basically a 2nd string side to soften the blow of inevitable defeat. Lost 4-1 thanks to a hat-trick after a Messi-like performance from Marvin Emnes, who ripped my defence to shreds.

Finished 1st season won the league

Played 46 won 32 drew 10 lost 4 GF 99 GA 44 Pts 106.

Also won the JPT Trophy.

Only downside it I lost to pigs at home 2-1 :( however they only finished 7th!

Star player COG 31 goals in 47 games Madine and Martin got 19 each!

Made FA Cup 5th losing to Man City away!

Just got the GB U23 job for the Olympics! :)

Well done, sounds like you had it pretty easy.

O'Grady has had an amazing start for me, 4 goals in 4 games so far, but I'm only playing him at target man as Madine is out till October. What roles did you use for your strikers, as I can't play to target men and on his form I can't really drop O'Grady when Madine comes back?

Well done, sounds like you had it pretty easy.

O'Grady has had an amazing start for me, 4 goals in 4 games so far, but I'm only playing him at target man as Madine is out till October. What roles did you use for your strikers, as I can't play to target men and on his form I can't really drop O'Grady when Madine comes back?

I played them both as target men, Ryan Lowe as a DLF or and AF. I played Martin as a poacher.

Madine just can't score for me. He was fine on pre season but he just can't score no more :( Keep trying to boost his morale etc but no goals still. My top goal scorers are Chris O Grady and Ben Marshall.

I play Madine and O Grady as Target Men in a 4 4 2 formation although the game picks it out as being 4-2-4. I just play straight back 4 with 2 central midfielders and the wingers both in slightly more forward but behind the strikers.

My alternative tactic is 4-3-1-2 (when I need to give my wingers a rest).

Playing your preffered tactic of 4-1-2-1-2 I just cant get my head around, even though both you and Chris Evans in game advise it. Doesn't it leave too much space on the sides? Far too centrally focused for the likes of me.

Then again you do seem to have more success than me. I'm 9 matches in winning 4, drawing 3 and losing 2 so far.

I also have this awful habit of conceding a goal within the first 5 minutes of practically every match! It's a nightmare.

Madine just can't score for me. He was fine on pre season but he just can't score no more :( Keep trying to boost his morale etc but no goals still. My top goal scorers are Chris O Grady and Ben Marshall.

I play Madine and O Grady as Target Men in a 4 4 2 formation although the game picks it out as being 4-2-4. I just play straight back 4 with 2 central midfielders and the wingers both in slightly more forward but behind the strikers.

My alternative tactic is 4-3-1-2 (when I need to give my wingers a rest).

Playing your preffered tactic of 4-1-2-1-2 I just cant get my head around, even though both you and Chris Evans in game advise it. Doesn't it leave too much space on the sides? Far too centrally focused for the likes of me.

Then again you do seem to have more success than me. I'm 9 matches in winning 4, drawing 3 and losing 2 so far.

I also have this awful habit of conceding a goal within the first 5 minutes of practically every match! It's a nightmare.

I alwaysed played 4-4-2 against teams that played 4-4-2 and genrally came out on top. I struggled against teams that played with an AMC behind the striker when I played 4-4-2 so, if the opposition played with a AMC I would play 4-1-2-1-2 and have Semdo playing as a DMC set to support!

How much money did people get to spend at the start of the 2nd season, Milan gave me £8m for a top half finish, Thats seems rather high not complaining though.

Signings for my assult on the Championship

Gleen Lovens £160k

Kaspar Gorkss £500k

Billy Jones £1.1m

Glenn Whelan £1.1m

Joe Lewis Free

Richie De Leat Free

Shane Lowry Free

Lucas Piazon Loan

Paddy McCourt £1m

Chris Martain £275k

Petter Vaagan Moen £800k

Jay Spearing £1.8m

Andy Keogh £1.2m

I should point out that all my cash signings were on the transfer list.

Made a good start with 1 defeat in the first 14 games and found myself 2nd in the league and the best defence. Problem was only Keogh was scoring goals and playing well out of my strikers. I then lost Gorkss and Loovens to injury and went 5 games without a win conceding 13 including a 5-1 defeat away at Southmapton and a 4-4 draw away at Norwhich despite being 4-1 up. I then got Cameron Jerome and Dean Whitehead on loan for 3 months because I found that while my first 11 was very competative a couple on injuries have me in trouble. I have then won 5 and drew 1 out of my last 6.

So far this season I have played 24 won 13 drew 8 lost 3 GF 47 GA 31 Pts 47 and in 3rd place.

Keogh is top scorer with 12 from 24.

My team looks like this.

Lewis

Jones, Loovens, Gorkss, De Leat

Vaagan Moen, Whelan, Spearing, Richie

Keogh Jerome

Sometimes I swith the wide men with McCourt coming in and Whitehead instead of Whelan or Spearing.

Will let you know how I get on at end of season!

I'm quite a slow player so I'm still in the 1st month of my 1st season. Won 5 from 5 in the league, although I've been lucky with 90th minute winners in my last 2 games. 1st league defeat feels just around the corner but I've never failed to get Wednesday out of League One at the 1st attempt in every game I've played since our relegation so I'm already confident of promotion.

O'Grady has 6 goals in 7 games but none of my other strikers have more than 1 goal.

Having trouble offloading a few players though. Managed to flog Clinton to Brentford for pratically nothing but despite teams being interested in transfer listed Coke, Sedgwick and Modest I can't get anybody to take them off my hands. Even for nothing. When my injury crisis subsides I may have to just release them to free up the wages.

Another quick update from me at the end of my 2nd season, (Core i5 processor) Had Camreon Jerome and Dean Whitehead on loan for 3 months but decided to let them go at the end of their loans. I then got Sylvain Ebanks Blake, Barry Bannan and Jone Samuelsen on loan until the end of the season.

So at the end of the season won the championship and on my way to the premiership.

Played 46 won 26 Drew 15 lost 5 GF 92 GA 58 Pts 93.

Andy Keogh was my top scorer with 25.

Wonder what the premiership will hold for me!

Been given £24m transfer budget but only £250k wage budget to avoid relegation!

Anybody else found the 1st season ridiculously easy? Only my 3rd ever undefeated season in my lifetime of playing SI games and my 1st with Wednesday.

npowerfootballleagueone.png

Helped largely through a suspiciously dominant season for Chris O'Grady, who led my scoring charts with 40 goals in 46 appearances. This may be one for the data issues forum to be honest because I really don't see him ever being this effective irl. I guess he's helped massively by his physical attributes but I think he performed a bit too well this season.

gradyoverviewattributes.png

I was also helped, perhaps again unrealisticly by a £15,000,000 cash injection from Milan Mandaric in Decemeber due to our "healthy financial situation". Which is odd because I've been losing nearly £500,000 a month. Still, not going to complain!

Mine first season was not easy. The situation back then wasn't great.

My team's performance in the last 10 matches has dropped.

But still secured the play-off qualification. I won the play-off semi final(vs. Bournemouth) with no problems

but one day before the final kicks off, my first choice goal keeper Kevin Stuhr Ellegaard (free transfer, yes I sold Nicky)

and Jose Semedo was injured. I got a real headache about this.

I sent the best players available on the field against Wallsall in the play-off final.

My team got an early goal with close-range header by Hermanni Vuorinen (60k).

Since my defense wasn't good so Wallsall got their equalizer on 60th mins. Then we went on extra time

and then I won the playoff final in the dramatic penalty shoot-out :D.

I was out of control back then. I jumped off my chair and screamed out loud and it was three o'clock in the morning!

Ha, in an almost identical copy of last season, Gary Madine has been injured for 6 weeks in the last week of pre season! He never really established himself for me last season after missing the 1st 2 months of the season and owing to the excellent form of O'Grady and Francois Zoko. Despite the team report insisting he was my best striker he really struggled and missed a lot of easy chances throughout the year.

Did anybody manage any unexpected coups after promotion to the Championship? So far my only signings of note have been Yaya Sanogo on a bosman (who I'm expecting big things of) and I splashed out £3.5mill on Leicester's Andy King. Oh, also got Joe Lewis on the cheap last season as a future transfer as his contract was due to expire in the summer.

I've expanded my squad a lot widely in the Championship because I had a short team squad problem in the last season so I...

Here are my signings...

- Jay Spearing (MC) 1M ==> Good ball winning midfielder.

- Mark Davies (MC) 325k ==> He has a great vision.

- Zdenek Ondrasek (ST) 900k ==> just type in his name in the search box !!

- Greg Cunningham (DL, loan) ==> good attacking full back but poor header

- Andros Townsend (ML) 275k => He's been great on loan in the first season in L1 so I bought him.

- Lee Tomlin (AML) 1.9M ==> wide midfield playmaker

- James Forrest (MR) 1.8M ==> have not seen what he can do on the field yet, got a month injury after he's arrived.

- Ryan Bennet (DC) 900k ==> mobile defender, good in covering role.

- Simone Benedetti (DC) free ==> good young stopper

- Kelvin Wilson (DC) 750k ==> Ball-playing Cover with some experience.

- Armin Mujakic (AML/AMC) 200k => hot prospect for the future

- Florian Spitzer (ST) 220k => hot prospect for the future

- Kieran Trippier (MR) free ==> good defensive winger with potentials

- Daniel Bessa (AML/AMC/AMR) free ==> Brazilian play maker signed for future

- Davide Petrucci (AMC) free ==> from Man United acedemy, signed for future or sell him for a good price

- Shay Facey (DR) free => hot prospect for the future

- Jaakko Hietikko (MR/ML) 150k => hot prospect for the future

- Joel Pohjanpalo (AMC) 40k => hot prospect for the future

- Daniel O'shaughnessy (DL) 170k => impatient little lad. I signed him in hot prospect for the future status.

After a couple weeks, he asked me for the first team football and I said no then he requested for the transfer list !!

- Kevin Friesenbichler (ST) free => hot prospect for the future

- Adam McHugh (GK) free => hot prospect for the future

- Richard Stebinger (GK) free free => hot prospect for the future

Total 8.75M (all in monthly installment)

All my hot prospects will get HG status in the next 3 years.

i am in my first season around the start of november, really struggling to get madine to score or even play well, he is averaging 6.5 atm :( i am in the play offs, had a real bad start to the season, changed my formation to 4-4-2 after first 5 games and went on a 4 game winning streak and now its going ok, winning some losing some and drawing some, just need to get the most out of some of my players,

any tips on how to use some of our key players ?

Madine never really performed well for me in the 1st season. Had a couple of good games but his finishing was awful overall. You should definitely be playing Chris O'Grady as a target man with an attack mentality. It sounds as though others have had success with that, and I personally got 40 goals out of him as shown in my screenshot. Rob Jones is also did a very good job for me as a Limited Defender (Stopper).

Perhaps my biggest surprise performer was Chris Lines though. He doesn't look particularly great at the start and you wouldn't describe him as a key player, but after an early season injury to Prutton I played him in central midfield and he was immense. Playing alongside a defensive Semedo I played him as an Advanced Playmaker (attack) and he weighed in with some amazing stats and creating masses of chances for my strikers:

chrislinesoverviewattri.png

• 2 weeks later...

Milan got his wish to get us back to prem in side 3 and half yrs

dint make any January signings so it was the squad what i posted earlier apart from Ash Williams was on a 3months loan which i thought i made end of season.

npowerfootballleaguecha.png

Just started a new game with Sheff Weds, here is my signings

Transfers In

Michael Stewart - Free

Mustapha Dumbuya - 100k

Darren Carter - Free

James Beattie - Free

Maurice Ross - Free

Francis Jeffers - Free

Mikkel Andersen ( Has awesome stats ) - 250k over 48 monthes

Matthew Harris - Free

Gai Assulin - 6 month Loan

Transfers Out

Clinton Morrison - Brentford - Free

Jermaine Johnson - Carlisle - 50k

Nicky Weaver - Wolves - 250k

Also decided to be Sheff Utd manager aswell which is hard but there doesnt seem to be a team guide on here.

Just started a new game with Sheff Weds, here is my signings

Transfers In

Michael Stewart - Free

Mustapha Dumbuya - 100k

Darren Carter - Free

James Beattie - Free

Maurice Ross - Free

Francis Jeffers - Free How dare you!! Get out!

Mikkel Andersen ( Has awesome stats ) - 250k over 48 monthes

Matthew Harris - Free

Gai Assulin - 6 month Loan

Transfers Out

Clinton Morrison - Brentford - Free

Jermaine Johnson - Carlisle - 50k

Nicky Weaver - Wolves - 250k

Also decided to be Sheff Utd manager aswell which is hard but there doesnt seem to be a team guide on here.

I bought Beattie on my demo game, never really got him to full fitness in the small amount of time I played it so not sure how good he could get.

• 1 month later...

Just started with Wednesday.

I'm fairly happy with the squad that we begin with, my only addition so far has been to bring in Steve Howard on loan from Leicester; he has a coveted past at this level and so I thought it was a safe risk to go with him as a support to the strike force (if needed).

I'm looking to show the door to O'Connor, Sedgwick, Coke and Daniel Jones.

Started at Hillsborough against Hartlepool with a 1-1 (Kasnik) before an away tie in the League Cup at Deepdale, where we won 3-2 (a brace from Howard and goal machine, Gary Madine).

Playing a flat 4-4-2, very megson-esq I'm going direct and staying rigid. I've cleared out the useless youngsters we have and sacked much of the backroom staff. Fortunately after an appeal the board agreed to up my coaches to eight, allowing me to bolster my training stats - albeit this is not top of my priority atm.

Promotion as ever, is the top aim. Our progress in the League Cup is a bonus, but it was very much a second string that went out against Preston.

I've just started a Shef Weds game, but with a twist to make it harder.........only allowing myself to sign English players.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/294477-The-English-only-Sheffield-Wednesday-Challenge?goto=newpost

Feel free to join in, should be an easy first season but then get harder in the Champ, and then VERY hard in the Prem.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody else found the 1st season ridiculously easy? Only my 3rd ever undefeated season in my lifetime of playing SI games and my 1st with Wednesday.

npowerfootballleagueone.png

Helped largely through a suspiciously dominant season for Chris O'Grady, who led my scoring charts with 40 goals in 46 appearances. This may be one for the data issues forum to be honest because I really don't see him ever being this effective irl. I guess he's helped massively by his physical attributes but I think he performed a bit too well this season.

gradyoverviewattributes.png

I was also helped, perhaps again unrealisticly by a £15,000,000 cash injection from Milan Mandaric in Decemeber due to our "healthy financial situation". Which is odd because I've been losing nearly £500,000 a month. Still, not going to complain!

I really need to know how you did this cause i cannot get the team winning at all ive tried 3 games and every time its ***** performance after performance, the defence is one of the worst ive managed, one game ended chesterfield 7 sheff 0!

Did you completely overhaul the team? what formation did u use? is it the new patch?

I used a variant of a 442 with a wide midfielder on the left and an attacking winger pushed further up on the right. Initially my only signings were Francois Zoko because I thought we needed a poacher and Tom Hateley of Motherwell. We were already cruising in the league when I was given the very lucky cash injection for the January window which I used to buy Alex Pearce, Paddy McCourt and Lloyd Dyer.

This was before the latest patch and because I was a good motivator it was easy to keep the team at very good or superb morale throughout the season which obviously contributed massively to my success whilst being slightly unrealistic. Unfortunately with the latest patch sorting out those morale issues I don't think I'd be able to have a season that good again.

The best advice for Wednesday I can give is just keep the tactics simple. Mine was very rigid, no roaming, tight marking. The only player I allowed any type of creativity was the right winger which was Ben Marshall and Jermaine Johnson as a capable back up. I tried to keep the tactics similar to our real life tactics as that's what suits our players and why we're obviously doing well in the real world too. Use Chris O'Grady as an attacking target man and he'll win you the league by himself if he gets the right service.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i am managing shef wed and too be honest it has been a great disappointment... i am not having any success others are having.

i have signed: Maniche - Free transfer

Xisco Nadal - Free Transfer

andreas hinkel - Free transfer

can anybody help me out?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some time now to start a game with Wednesday now the patch is out. Looking at this as my starting squad at the minute:

GK: Stephen Bywater

DR: Lewis Buxton

DC: Rob Jones

DC: Reda Johnson

DL: Julian Bennet

MR: Jermaine Johnson

MC: Jose Semedo

MC: John Bostock

ML: Mike Jones

ST: Ryan Lowe

ST: Chris O'Grady

Any suggestions for improvements? This is only my planned squad so far, going to test them out. Need to see if there's anyone I can get rid of. Need a new left midfielder if anyone can suggest one?

Archived