The English only Sheffield Wednesday Challenge

The aim:

Win the Prem & Champions League with an ALL English Sheffield Wednesday.

Rules:

Ok select the club Sheffield Wednesday to manage, the rule is that you can ONLY buy players of English Nationality, and must sell all other nationalies ASAP (try to sell, but if no takers then wait for contracts to expire). Send back any non-English players who are on loan at the club.

Also ONLY allowed English staff, you can keep the assisant for a year as he will be a bit expensive to get rid of straight away.

This goes for coaches, scouts etc, all must be English.

Comments:

I think this will be quiet a good challenge, winning League 1 should be easy, getting to the Prem less so, staying there probably quite hard! On the plus side the club has a good rep, big fanbase, good stadium etc so should be able to attract players, and the finances look very healthy....

Bank balance £8m

Transfer kitty £350-450k

Wage budget is around £85k p/w

You can use any tactics you like, no editing of the game though but feel free to sign anyone as long as they are English, and get rid of the non-English players ASAP.

Good luck!

Things are going well, team is top by 6 points with a game in hand, Harewood is a monstor banging in 29 goals in 28 games too, Beatie seems a bit injury prone though. I've got Rob Hulse on loan, £0 fee and 0% wages, should do ok at this level.

Couple of decent cup runs have helped keep the bank balance healthy.

Will be a big step up to the championship so already trying to look at new English targets, I wonder what my transfer budget will be - I'm guessing £500k-1m, otherwise we could struggle a bit.

Good challenge, but can I ask why you chose Sheffield W, and not any other english team?

If you should consider history, I think Notts County is the oldest team in the league. So one could try with them.

Good luck with the challenge, it will be interesting to follow and see how it goes on.:thup:

Thanks for the reply.

Feel free to do it with any other English team.....I just picked SW as they have a great foundation, i.e big stadium, good rep, big fanbase, no debt problems - they are a good sleeping giant.

If you really fancy a challenge then try this with a lower league team, I just wanted to pick a meduim difficulty challenge. I tried it with Tottehnam once before on FM11 - it was easy enough to make them into a good team but winning the CL was still hard.

Thanks for the reply.

Feel free to do it with any other English team.....I just picked SW as they have a great foundation, i.e big stadium, good rep, big fanbase, no debt problems - they are a good sleeping giant.

If you really fancy a challenge then try this with a lower league team, I just wanted to pick a meduim difficulty challenge. I tried it with Tottehnam once before on FM11 - it was easy enough to make them into a good team but winning the CL was still hard.

Sheff Wed is great, I was just curious if it was because of something in their history that made them special when it comes to make them english.

I like challenges like this, may try when I am finished with Gundos. I think it could be difficult having success with Arsenal, because they don't have many english players.

But I am tempted to do it with Notts County, since they are the oldest team in the league, and it could be fitting taking them to the top with only english players.

Things are going well, team is top by 6 points with a game in hand, Harewood is a monstor banging in 29 goals in 28 games too, Beatie seems a bit injury prone though. I've got Rob Hulse on loan, £0 fee and 0% wages, should do ok at this level.

Couple of decent cup runs have helped keep the bank balance healthy.

Will be a big step up to the championship so already trying to look at new English targets, I wonder what my transfer budget will be - I'm guessing £500k-1m, otherwise we could struggle a bit.

Haha, are you an Owl mate? Two ex-Blades strikers in the squad, not going to sit well with the Massives fans!

Getting promoted should be easy and SWFC's reputation should allow you bring in sufficient quality to get to the PL within two years from there. Interesting idea to do it with an all-English squad. Might try it with United when I get some time to have a go at FM12. Like you said, there is plenty of debt to contend with first but an all-English team means no place for Ched Evans (Welsh) so it'd force his sale and make a dent in the wage bill.

What would be the rules over a player like Lee Williamson who is English (born, lived all his life) but played for Jamaica internationally?

No I'm Ipswich. Opps....

I got promoted my first year in the championship, came second in the league with 101 points. Signed Caulker on loan with £6m buy clause, Zaha did ok upfront and Marlon was a monstor. Jacob Mellis was a bargain at 675k and goes well with Jennings and Drinkwater, Sean Davis is a great DMC too for a year.

Player has to have the English flag in their profile, that is the rule - just to be clear. I.e so ones that come up in the English search but are Jamaican don't count sorry,

In the Prem I got a £22m budget, nice! Bought in Caulker via the buy-clause, Jonjo Shevly for £6m, Nathan Defanuso for £1.8m, J-E Thomas from Ipswich for £1.5m, K Gibbs for £2.1 and some wonderkid from LEeds, oh and Butland on a free, squad is taking shape nicely, Livermoree for £3m should complete my spending. I badly want Wickham but they won't loan or sell him.

No, you can use anyone you like, just SW have a good foundation for it, it's not mega hard or mega easy, if you chose one of the big PL teams then it's easy, if you choose a BSQ team it will be very hard etc.

Does anyone know the expansion potential for Hillsborugh?

Kid from Leeds is Nathan Padgett.

No I'm Ipswich. Opps....

I got promoted my first year in the championship, came second in the league with 101 points. Signed Caulker on loan with £6m buy clause, Zaha did ok upfront and Marlon was a monstor. Jacob Mellis was a bargain at 675k and goes well with Jennings and Drinkwater, Sean Davis is a great DMC too for a year.

Now you're in the Premiership and given your seemingly accidental fetish for ex-Blades it can't be too long before you have a back-four of Naughton, Cahill, Jagielka and Walker!

Nearly bought Naughton.......and failed to sign Walker, Cahil was also temping but too high a fee.

My squad is decent....

GK Smithies/Butland

RB Adam Smith/Clyne

CB Caulker/Andrew Davies

CB Ryan Bennett/Mark Beevers

LB K Gibbs/Stephen Jordan

DMC Reo-Coker/Jay Spearing

MC Jacob Mellis/Steve Jennings

MC Shevley/Drinkwater

AF Billy Sharp/O'Grady

DLF Harewood/JET

P Delfounesso/Zaha

Plus some half decent youngsters.....

Nearly bought Naughton.......and failed to sign Walker, Cahil was also temping but too high a fee.

My squad is decent....

GK Smithies/Butland

RB Adam Smith/Clyne

CB Caulker/Andrew Davies

CB Ryan Bennett/Mark Beevers

LB K Gibbs/Stephen Jordan

DMC Reo-Coker/Jay Spearing

MC Jacob Mellis/Steve Jennings

MC Shevley/Drinkwater

AF Billy Sharp/O'Grady

DLF Harewood/JET

P Delfounesso/Zaha

Plus some half decent youngsters.....

Ex-Blades all over the place now! The Wendies fans would riot!

Archived