FM12: Deportivo thread, where's my money mr Lendoiro?

Falahk

Welcome to the FM12 Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña thread

Deportivo_de_La_Corua2.png

Real Club Deportivo de La Coruña is a professional football club based in the city of A Coruña, Galicia, in northwestern Spain. Galicia is rich in culture and the Kingdom of Galicia was one of the first kingdoms in Europe and due to its interesting geographical position, the region has been part of Spain, Portugal and France at different times throughout history. For political reasons the current club board keep the city's un-official name "La Coruña" (in Spanish), although the official name of the city is "A Coruña" (in Galician). Hence, if the club ever adopts the official name of the city it would be renamed "Deportivo da Coruña".

The club is a fierce rival of fellow Galicians Celta Vigo, for a long time it seamed like Celta would get promoted while Depor would stay up, but in the end it was not to be and hence both clubs will face each other in Segunda División this year. Apart from Celta, Compostela and Ferrol are other well-known galician clubs.

History

In 1902 a local Galician returned to La Coruna after studying in England, bringing the idea of football with him. Soon the exotic sport of football got a firm foothold at a gymnasium called Sala Calvet and in 1906 the club was founded. In 1908 the club was given the mark of royalty by King Alfonso XIII. The stadium where they played the games was already known as Riazor, which is the current name as well.

Spain did not have a national first division until 1928, but Deportivo failed to qualify at first, playing in regional Galician leagues. As late as 1941, Deportivo finally made an entrance on the national scene, when they won promotion for the first time.

It would be fair to say that Deportivo have endured many years without any success, but during the 90s the club suddenly emerged as a major force in Spanish football. They became affectionately known as 'Superdepor'. Arsenio Iglesias guided the club to a sensational 3rd place in the league in 1993, followed by successive 2nd places in 1994 and 1995. Stars of the side were Bebeto, Mauro Silva, Donato, Fran, Manjarin and Djukic. Especially the 1994 campaign became legendary as Djukic missed a penalty in extra time in the final match of the season against Valencia to lose the championship to Barcelona. Had Djukic scored, Deportivo would have been the shock-winners of La Liga. In 1995, the club won its first ever trophy when lifting the Spanish Cup.

John Toshack took charge in 1995 and the club stagnated somewhat. The fans protested againt Toshack as the club finished 9th in 1996. However, a lucrative contract with Canal+ made Deportivo a rich club and the club bought players like Rivaldo (24 yrs, scored 21 goals in his first season), Naybet and Songo'o (won GK of he year-award) and Martins. The club finished in 3rd in 1997. 1998 became a disappointing season with Brazilians Djalminha, Falvio Conceicao and Luizao performing only so-so. Hours before the transfer deadline in 1997, Barcelona used the buy-out clause in super-star Rivaldo's contract and signed him for 25M euros. Together with the departure of Djukic, the defensive stalwart for the last 7 years at Depor, the club failed to impress. The club was called the United Nations due to the mixed foreign legion of stars at the club. Depor finished 12th.

In 1998, Depor struck gold as they decided to appoint fierce rival Celta's talented manager Javier Irureta as their new manager. The Basque master-mind quickly signed Manuel Pablo, Schürrer, Turu Flores and Pauleta. Depor finished 6th in 1999 but were looking better and better. In 1999 the club won its first and only La Liga championship after signing Roy Makaay and performing with remarkable consistency. The success also meant that Depor had qualified for the champions league for the first time ever. The players most frequently uses in this campaign deserve a special mentioning:

Songo'o - Romero, Naybet, Donato, Manuel Pablo - Turu Flores, Mauro Silva, Flavio Conceicao, Victor Sanchez, Djalminho - Makaay.

In the next four years Depor finished 2nd or 3rd every season. In 2001 they reached the quarters of CL only to lose against a similar success-story from England, Leeds. The team had begun to shape-shift with Spanish players Molina, Valeron and Tristan quickly becoming key-players. In 2002, Depor won the Cup again but again lost in the CL quarters to an other English side, this time Man Utd. In 2003 and 2004 the club showed signs of losing quality, albeit doing well in the league and reasonably well in Europe. Makaay left the club in 2003 and the club became much more careful in the market, presumebly due to financial reasons. Pedro Munitis signed for free from Real Madrid, for example. A remarkable 3-8 loss away to Monaco in the CL in Novemer 2003 signalled that the CL campaign was going to implode, but Depor managed reached the CL semis thanks to a remarkable 4-0 win against AC Milan at Riazor after losing the first leg 4-1 at San Siro in the quarter finals. In the semis a certain Mourinho guided Porto through to the final after keeping Depor goalless over 180 minutes. The stars were now Albert Luque, Jorge Andrade, Diego Tristan and Walter 'el Rifle' Pandiani.

From 2005 and onwards, Depor have slowly started to fall into decline again. Irureta left the club, while successors Caparros and Lotina have never came close to emulate the great Irureta's success, but neither have had the same financial backing. and maybe it could be argued that Depors economical muscles could never handle the spending made during those successful 10 years and that this ultimately staked out the slow path to relegation.

Kit and Badge

deporkits.png

The official badge depicts a knights belt encircling the original banner of Sala Calvet Gymnasium. The crown in the centre represents the clubs Royal decree and the diagonal blue stripe its identity as a Galician club (Galician flag).

Deportivo La Coruña have always played in their famous blue and white stripes, but it was not until 1912 that the club made these colours official for matches. Deportivo continues to wear blue and white striped shirts with blue shorts and socks, yet their second and third kits change annually according to commercial interests. Their current shirt sponsors are Estrella Galicia, with Lotto manufacturing the kits.

Achievements

National titles

La Liga (1): 1999-00

Copa del Rey (2): 1995, 2002

Supercopa de España (3): 1995, 2000, 2002

Regional/Lower league titles

Galician Championship (6): 1926-27, 1927–28, 1930–31, 1932–33, 1936–37, 1939–40

Segunda División (4): 1961-62, 1963–64, 1965–66, 1967–68

Tercera División (1): 1974-75

International titles

UEFA Intertoto Cup (1): 2008

Stadium

deporRiazor2.jpg

Deportivo play their home games at the 34,600 capacity Riazor since 1944 when the stadium was opened, it have during this time been renovated twice, first in 1982 and then in 1995-1998

Why should you play Deportivo?

A fading giant, recently relegated, pending economical collapse, demanding board...pretty much the best kind of situation for any fm save if you ask me, only thing I could think of that's missing is a point deduction and sadly you cant get those in Spain even if you head into administration.

Economical summary:

deporeconomics-1.png

Season expectations:

deporseasonexpectations.png

Football Manager 2012 Information

Chairman Status: Enjoying life at club

Club Legends: Mauro Silva, Juan Carlos Valerón, Donato Gama da Silva, Amancio, Arsenio Iglesias

Icons: Bebeto, Djalminha, Javier Irureta, Manuel Pablo, Miroslav Djukic, Augusto César Lendoiro, Jorge Andrade, Roy Makaay, Jaques Songo'o, Naybet

Favoured Personnel: Joan Capdevila, Fran, Filipe

Derbies: Gallego (vs Celta)

Fierce Rivals: Celta

Other Rivals: Compostela, Valencia, Zaragoza

Finances: Insecure

Estimated Value: £13M (Loan Debt £117M)

Media Prediction: 2nd

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Squad

Goalkeepers

Daniel Aranzubia

Germán Lux

Marc Martinez

Defenders

Zé Castro

Diego Colotto

Aythami

David Rochela

Manuel Pablo (captain)

Laure

Claudio Morel Rodríguez

Ayoze

Midfielders

Borja (on loan from Getafe)

Alex Bergantiños

Jesús Vázquez

Juan Carlos Valerón (vice-captain)

Juan Dominguez

Saúl

Iván Pérez

Diogo Salomão (on loan from Sporting CP)

Pablo Álvarez

Andrés Guardado

Strikers

Xisco (on loan from Newcastle United)

Lassad Nouioui

Riki

Rodolfo Bodipo

Key Player

aranzubiapic1.jpg

in order to get anything out of your season, Aranzubia needs to preform, he is a reasonably well rounded keeper with outstanding delivery from goalkicks, use this to your advantage

B team/out on loan/youth players worth keeping an eye on

Felipe, Goalkeeper (on loan at Mallorca)

Raúl García, Left Back (on loan at Melilla)

Diego Seoane, Right Back, Left Back, Wing Back R/L (Deportivo B)

Bruno Gama, Attacking Midfielder (Right) (Deportivo B)

Iago Beceiro, Striker (u19)

Pablo Insúa, Central Defender (u19)

Uxío, Central Defender (u19)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I agree with you La Corugna is a very exiting game. You do not mention the very first challenge for the new HC which is to decrease the wages because the budget allows 569k€ and the wages for the team are around 960k€.

So for instance Xisco for me cannot stay in Galicia.

Indeed mate under Lotina it was boring boring football, not the same team when u seen Djalminha, Fran, Roy Makaay and Mauro Silva, the key to being promoted is for sure Guardado, and Aranzubia, Ze Castro is also a good player, these players are the key to being promoted u must hold on to them.

Indeed mate under Lotina it was boring boring football, not the same team when u seen Djalminha, Fran, Roy Makaay and Mauro Silva, the key to being promoted is for sure Guardado, and Aranzubia, Ze Castro is also a good player, these players are the key to being promoted u must hold on to them.
I did infact sell Guardado and Ze Castro to balance the books on my Demo test run, Guardado in particular have never really worked out for me on the last few fm's and he have been way to injury prone for my taste

since I have already wrote a short summary on how my demo save went in my tactic thread, I felt that I could might aswell quote it in here

finished up my demo save in one go (did not save until I got to the end), played the tactic as a plug and play, did not really bother with seting up a proper staff or training, and let the assistant deal with the press, and experimented a fair bit with the new teamtalk system (and hence botched it a couple of times)

League table:

deporleague.png

was a bit unlucky to get that lose and the draws, but I did also get lucky in a couple of games, so it all balance itself out

Results:

deporresults2.png

considering the dire economical situation Deportivo are in, I had to bring the wage expenses down and get atleast some profit out of it, also knowing how solid this tactic is at the back I sold what was probably my two best central defenders, gambling on that I would be fine with Aythami (who got injured for the last 3 months), Rochela (who picked up a couple of minor injuries), Morel Rodrigues and youngster Insua, and it was probably a good call seeing that my defensive unit still did really well

Transfers:

deportransfersdemo.png

will probably start a proper save once im done with my first year at Athletic, but I will be away from home during the upcoming week, attending a couple of gigs (Jean Michel Jarre & Within Temptation), so im not sure how fast it will happen just yet

plan to spend some time tomorrow to add some thoughts on transfers policy to the OP, hopefully I can get something done

I am currently in my third season as deportivo. My first season i got promoted to la liga. After that i got relegated as the players were just short of quality to remain in the league. We got relegated on the last day of the season. Valeron retired and shortly after he headed a consortium and took over the club and is our chairman. I am now on a 24 match unbeaten streak in the league looking good for promotion for a second try at the top league.

I am currently in my third season as deportivo. My first season i got promoted to la liga. After that i got relegated as the players were just short of quality to remain in the league. We got relegated on the last day of the season. Valeron retired and shortly after he headed a consortium and took over the club and is our chairman. I am now on a 24 match unbeaten streak in the league looking good for promotion for a second try at the top league.

Excellent i played for a few seasons, struggled lost all my best players and tryed to rebuild.

Thanks. Yes only guardado was sold over my head for only about 2-3million aswell. :( maybe with him we would have survived in la liga. I got rid of the overpaid 'deadwood' and am nt trying to build a good young squad. Will post some screenies soon. My current top performer is frazier campbell who is banging the goals in. But i fear when we get promoted he will struggle at that level.

Thanks. Yes only guardado was sold over my head for only about 2-3million aswell. :( maybe with him we would have survived in la liga. I got rid of the overpaid 'deadwood' and am nt trying to build a good young squad. Will post some screenies soon. My current top performer is frazier campbell who is banging the goals in. But i fear when we get promoted he will struggle at that level.

Fraizer has the ability to become a good player at la liga for the smaller clubs, I'm a Sunderland fan and hes currently injured so i'm glad u gave him a chance to play some regular football especially with one of the teams i like, what did u do with Lassad, Riki, Xisco, Ayoze?

Fraizer has the ability to become a good player at la liga for the smaller clubs, I'm a Sunderland fan and hes currently injured so i'm glad u gave him a chance to play some regular football especially with one of the teams i like, what did u do with Lassad, Riki, Xisco, Ayoze?

Lassad - A regular in the team for the last 2 years but never got into double figures for goals so has spent most of this season on the bench.

Riki - Good first season 15 goals in 33 games, couldnt hack it in la liga, we had a falling out about his contract he wouldnt drop it so has been on the transfer list since the summer, not a lot of intrest

Xisco - IIRC Xisco is on loan at the start of the game? looking at his history it looks like it. I cancelled the loan pretty much straight away as what we were paying him was quite a lot go got rid to bring down the wage budget

Ayoze - plays well in the adalante but average in BBVA he is in and out of the team this season with a good rating of 7.55, he is competing with Joan Oriol who I loaned in Jan from Villareal who is keeping him out the team atm.

So Rab what happened afer you got sacked? did you takeover someone else or did you start again with Deportivo?

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for a challenge so I recently started a game with Deportivo. I wasn't able to sign anyone because of the wages, only brought in staff, I sold some players but that still wasn't enough to balance the wages and now I can't renew the contracts of some key players which expire in a year, including Guardado and Valeron. If someone is playing with them, I could sure use some advice.

I recently took over done one with these. What i am going to do is redevelop the squad and the wage budget over time. What i started to do is redevelop the wage budget by letting the big earners who's on 10,000 or more onto the wage budget via letting them go. I've sent the loan players back and i will be looking to develop the squad from that.

I recently took over done one with these. What i am going to do is redevelop the squad and the wage budget over time. What i started to do is redevelop the wage budget by letting the big earners who's on 10,000 or more onto the wage budget via letting them go. I've sent the loan players back and i will be looking to develop the squad from that.

You completed a season yet? If so did you get promoted? I'm currently in my first season but I'm going pretty well, won about 20 out of 25 which is not too bad

You completed a season yet? If so did you get promoted? I'm currently in my first season but I'm going pretty well, won about 20 out of 25 which is not too bad

I'm just finishing it now, got 6 more games to go. I'm 2nd, 2 points ahead of 3rd. Team looking strong, but had couple of games where they couldn't win.

I've kept most of the players who was on 10,000 or more and let their contract run down. it working out as i can bring youth onto the bench and get them used to the 1st team picture.

Lassad - A regular in the team for the last 2 years but never got into double figures for goals so has spent most of this season on the bench.

Riki - Good first season 15 goals in 33 games, couldnt hack it in la liga, we had a falling out about his contract he wouldnt drop it so has been on the transfer list since the summer, not a lot of intrest

Xisco - IIRC Xisco is on loan at the start of the game? looking at his history it looks like it. I cancelled the loan pretty much straight away as what we were paying him was quite a lot go got rid to bring down the wage budget

Ayoze - plays well in the adalante but average in BBVA he is in and out of the team this season with a good rating of 7.55, he is competing with Joan Oriol who I loaned in Jan from Villareal who is keeping him out the team atm.

So Rab what happened afer you got sacked? did you takeover someone else or did you start again with Deportivo?

Ended up just chucking the game altogether mate, might try again soon.

And i agree with you about Xisco he isn't worth what was being paid.

• 1 month later...

have finaly started a proper save after being occupied with other stuff while the Stoke and Athletic saves grabbed most of my fm time, so hopefully I can find some time to update the thread aswell

made it to the middle of the jan window so far, currently sitting 2nd, on the same points as first placed Almeria, but trailing on goal difference (the only head to head match so far was a somewhat boring 0-0 draw), I have already axed 10 players for economical reasons, so I have a rather thin first team squad, but hopefully I will not catch to many injuries and grind in enough points to get promotion

goals I plan to achive:

1) avoid going into administration

2) become the richest club in the world

3) pay of the loans

4) win stuff

5) make net profit in the transfer market

Well here goes. First things first...sell, sell, sell. I'll take it from there, hopefully with budget adjustment I'll be able to pay a new player or 2 some wages. Guardado's an easy sell. I generally play a narrow 4-2-3-1 anyway. 3.7 million? Thank you very much Zenith.

I'll post again once the transfer window closes.

In my Spurs save Deportivo have been relegated before the end of the season in 20th position atm with games to play, Cartegena & Sociedad are in 19 & 18th - not going to lie it did shock me a bit them being relegated, I'm not sure who they've sold but I know they bought a newgen of mine for £4m who's now worth £7.75m so I have a feeling that 50% sell on will come in handy

In my Spurs save Deportivo have been relegated before the end of the season in 20th position atm with games to play, Cartegena & Sociedad are in 19 & 18th - not going to lie it did shock me a bit them being relegated, I'm not sure who they've sold but I know they bought a newgen of mine for £4m who's now worth £7.75m so I have a feeling that 50% sell on will come in handy

The bit that catches my attention is that they bought a player for 4 million......where in the heck did they get 4 million from? It looks unlikely I'm even going to have wages to bring in a free transfer, even after several player sales and budget adjustment.

The bit that catches my attention is that they bought a player for 4 million......where in the heck did they get 4 million from? It looks unlikely I'm even going to have wages to bring in a free transfer, even after several player sales and budget adjustment.
should have said that was at the start of the 2016/17 season, pretty sure they paid it all upfront as well
would not suprise me if they spent some time in administration on Matt's save, and hence restructured the debt and sold some players, cant really see the ai bringing wage down to about 100k p/w and sell players for about £9m to stay afloat

• 2 weeks later...

Having a crack at this, not sure it is even possible to save Deportivo with the crippling monthly loan repayments. On the pitch I am doing well. Signed Kezman for 7k. Sold everybody with wages over 15k apart from Valeron who i cannot shift. Got wage bill down to 114K 1k less than the budget... played 5, won4, lost 1

Having a crack at this, not sure it is even possible to save Deportivo with the crippling monthly loan repayments. On the pitch I am doing well. Signed Kezman for 7k. Sold everybody with wages over 15k apart from Valeron who i cannot shift. Got wage bill down to 114K 1k less than the budget... played 5, won4, lost 1
once you are just a few k over your wage limit you should be able to re-sign Valeron to a smaller contract, got a bit lucky and managed to get his wage down to 6,5k on my save

• 3 weeks later...

Just started as deportivo and i have tried to sell a couple of my big earners but no one wants them and people like valeron are willing to take a big pay cut and this is the silly thing, he's currently on £20k a week he's willing to go onto £7k a week saving me £13k a week, however my board will only let me offer him £1.3k a week, do they not want me to save money and get promoted???????

also with a wage budget so low compaired with the actual wages being spent if i offer for any player mainly free transfers the board will only give me £250 a week wages to offer, really?? name me any decent player that would play for that much?

still gonna give deportivo a bash though!

Just started as deportivo and i have tried to sell a couple of my big earners but no one wants them and people like valeron are willing to take a big pay cut and this is the silly thing, he's currently on £20k a week he's willing to go onto £7k a week saving me £13k a week, however my board will only let me offer him £1.3k a week, do they not want me to save money and get promoted???????

also with a wage budget so low compaired with the actual wages being spent if i offer for any player mainly free transfers the board will only give me £250 a week wages to offer, really?? name me any decent player that would play for that much?

still gonna give deportivo a bash though!

you will need to bring the overall wage down before you can sign any of the current players to smaller contracts, geting the new deals done should be possible when you are about 10k-15k over your limit and when you have sold a couple of players, at that point the bord will be more willing

i got rid of the players on loan (xisco and the guy from SCP) i kept Borja coz he fits into my formation, won my first game 2-0 both goals from borja. not got the best options upfront though. Not sure who to sell though? I have sold alvarez and bergantinos, but can't seem to shift bodipo other teams can';t afford his wage demands? any suggestions who i can still have a push at promotion but sacrifice?

i have won my first 6 games and only conceded one goal so my team must have benefitted from good team cohesion. i signed one player as a backup DM on loan and they promoted a few decent players as backups from my B team. I offered out Guardado for £3.5million but no one really wanted him.

• 1 month later...
Started a new game with the new patch. The Finances do not seem to be anywhere near as bad on this version. On course for Promotion at the first attempt.
the new db is probably a better refelction of how things are irl, but from an fm'ing sense its almost a bit of a shame, since it wont be quite the challange it used to be before the data patch

Deportivo are IRL also on course of finishing 1st in the Liga Adelante. It isn't that difficult to gain promotion, especially if you can keep Guardado. The main problem is the 1st and 2nd season. If you manage them without making huge debts you will be able to play in Europe again.

• 2 months later...

You should either play with a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-1-2-2-1. Control or attack should do the job. Deportivo are the best team in the liga adelante and despite having lost most of their stars they still can achieve promotion easily. I recommend you to get some cheap south american players like Dorlan Pabon. But you must be aware that you can only have 2 non-eu players in your squad

Archived